#29: EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!

Couch Tomato

What should be the next thread title at FCA?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Ah, nothing left but the finale - and Clay's incredible career.
    • I am so obsessed. He's altered my DNA. I'm sure of it.
    • Hold on...you're going on a great and long ride!
    • I'd go with Godzilla if it meant I could see Clay even one more time in Spamalot.
    • Yes I'm babbling. What can I say? He makes me happy.
    • Clay has the vitality of the Energizer bunny...
    • Just the Clay parts first. His parts are FINE as WINE and all move..... varra varra nicely!
    • He loves us as we love him--unconditionally.
    • Today's Clay is hawt, polished, multi-faceted...
    • Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!
    • The man is a magnet. A super magnet.
    • Clay will always be Clayton, too.
    • I want it all and I want it now!
    • He is going to kill us all.
    • Can I move to ClayAikenville?
    • Whenever, wherever, I'll be there.

Now that a few other people have posted (so I'm not totally Miss Posty-ho *g*), I'm going to pick through this interview....just as I'm sure many others are doing right now. My answers will probably be different though.

ACTING: "I enjoy being myself more than I enjoy being somebody else." In other words, he has enjoyed working in Spamalot but he's not looking for another Broadway role, nor is he looking to do movies, as some of you wanted to know. Clay always leaves the door open — so he says that if the right opportunity came along he would look at it — but made clear he is not actively pursuing acting.

Considering that I heard over the weekend that one board was speculating that Mike Nichols had a role for him in his next movie....bubble burst number 1.

TOURING OTHER COUNTRIES: Those of you who want him to come to Australia, Norway, Singapore and more are out of luck.

{{{{{{{{{{Claytonic, ausdon and others affected by this}}}}}}}}}}}}

He laughed and said folks can call the Sony-BMG offices in their region to tell them they want Clay's records released there.

Oh dear.

Or, "They can spam them like they spam you," he said in a nod to the internet following he has.

Bwah!

TOURING IN GENERAL: "I'm taking a break," Clay said. He knows that you all want to see him again, and acknowledged that there were some press reports that he would tour this summer but "we never said we were planning on touring this summer. Do we plan on touring for this (new) album? Yes. But not this summer." Clay says he hates to be "a bubble-burster" for those of you looking forward to it but, for one thing, "there hasn't been enough time to put (a tour) together."

I'm actually quite happy for this news, both for Clay and me personally. I think he'll need the break, he's been working straight for 4 months (5 by the time you add May, filled with album promotion), and if I were him, I'd be really jonesing for a couple of days off. I'm personally happy about it because it gives my bank account time to fill up.

I'd really love to know what he means by "fall" though. To me, that's October/November. Maybe he's finally at a place where there will be no Christmas tour this year? I kind of hate to even supposition on that, because I think he personally gets a lot out of the Christmas tours, but the timing that he's suggesting could be very tight.

TALK SHOW: Now, here is something he clearly would like to do. "We put feelers out for this, that or the other...we make known what we think we're interested in doing," Clay says, using We meaning He. And he says they've made it known that talk is something he's interested in doing. But, like Spamalot, he says, sometimes it's a matter of ideas and opportunities coming together at the right time. Bottom line: nothing in the works right now.

I'm also quite glad that he's still thinking about this, and I totally agree with couchie that there's got to be some channel out there somewhere that would love to work with him.

NYC vs. N.C.: "NO," he says, when I ask if he would like to relocate to New York permanently.

Raise your hand if you could hear in your head him saying "NO!"

THE NEW ALBUM: "I know a lot (of the fans) like to like everything I do," Clay says, but on the new album there will be something everyone won't like, but also something everyone WILL like.

Since I'm one who "likes to lie everything he does," I'm really curious about the album now. He's worded that so interestingly. How much of an uproar will there be on this album? It sounds as if he's bracing for something. Just curious what exactly.

Still won't listen to the album until the release date though. *g*

A lot of you want Clay to rock out, or as he calls it "do rockin' songs" — and he says on the new album he does — but it's hard for him to find such songs. "I can't find one I'm comfortable with."

Especially after reading the paragraph following this one, I really think that his problems finding "rockin' songs" has more to do with lyrics than anything else. It sounds to me that he's not paying as much attention to the tempos and arrangements but the lyrics. If it's a fast song with lyrics that mean something to him, he'll do it. It will be interesting to see if the fandom can accept that.

He was reluctant to pick a favorite or signature song from this album but eventually said the song Something About Us could be it.

Not that I'm listening, but have we found a demo for this one? The lyrics?

MUSIC VS. LYRICS: For Clay, it's all about the words. He says 90 percent of the songs on the new album were chosen for the lyrics: "In some way, on all of those, I connect."

Well, there's a difference between he and I then. But that's OK. Still love him.

But he's not going to tell us how or why he connects to each specific song. Why? "Because you want people to connect for their own reasons." In other words, he doesn't want us reading into each song the possible applications to his life when we should be finding meaning in them for ourselves.

I take two things out of this little section. One, I had flashbacks to that one blog of his, when he said to stop reading things into what he's written before! But the other thing is, I think the man is really trying to guard his privacy, and maybe even some of his feelings (not to get too psychoanalytical here). He definitely wants others to get the meaning out of the songs, whatever it may be. But I also just feel that, as much as some of the fandom wants him to be open with that kind of thing, he just isn't going to do it. And some of the fandom is going to have learn to deal with that. I'm cool with it.

I'd really love to know what he means by "fall" though. To me, that's October/November. Maybe he's finally at a place where there will be no Christmas tour this year? I kind of hate to even supposition on that, because I think he personally gets a lot out of the Christmas tours, but the timing that he's suggesting could be very tight.

I think we have to be a bit careful about reading things into his words.....he never says "fall" anywhere. There was one fan report that Jerome used the word. Otherwise, Clay doesn't specify when the tour will be. Way back before we had an inkling of the release date for OMWH, I predicted it might be a Spring 2009 tour. If he decides to do a Christmas tour this year, that might not be a bad idea.

I think I agree with every one of your points, ldyj. :)

luckiest1, you're right -- he didn't use "fall." My bad. It just seems to me that Spring 2009 is soooooooooo far away....but stranger things have happened. (ATDW release in Sept. 2006; DCAT in July 2007).

Well, I don't agree with everything in her post, there are talk shows that have studios in Secaucus, convienient to NYC, and and you don't have to live in the city, If LdyJocelyn had more time I might have pointed out some ofthe seriously private houses you can barely see in my town, lotso famous people live here and there is a beautivul gated house right by the park, abut 100 years old and near the artists enclave and down the street from the producer with a recording studio in his very private house. (and they used to film Ed in some buildings and parks in the city and David Letterman often films in our town and then says it is Cionnecticut - don't know why) and it is very close to airports and and and [whine] it would be a nice place for him to stay while doinga show, any kid of show....[/whine]

I think I did point out the private recording studio, though.

Great little article. I like that this writer wanted to give the fans as much info as possible...yet I feel like it was just surface information. He always leaves me wanting more...more...

So I guess some fans will be very very disappointed that he won't be pursuing acting. I really didn't think he was interested in the acting part per se.

Glad he is taking a break...he needs it and I think he is right...there isn;t enough time to plan for a tour. I also think that they need to build up awareness of this CD before they tour. I hope they do try to release something to radio or a video on the internet to drive up ticket sales.

Well I can;t wait to hear this new CD...I think it will give a lot of insight on Clay...

Just to clarify....obviously I'd much prefer a fall 2008 tour. *g* But we don't know what he's planning, he may not have even started planning it at all. I just take things as they come, and am thankful for whatever he gives me.

Can I just add EEEEEEEEEEEE! I am so happy I decided to do the final Spamalot weekend. 31 more days!

I think some of these somewhat cryptic answers are just Clay playing close to the vest, something I have come to expect from him. When the album is actually in the marketplace and we and HE can see how it's actually faring, he may become more open with his thoughts about future plans. Clay's attitude has never seemed to be one of "counting chickens before they hatch".

As much as I would ADORE a summer tour, I'm grateful to be free to plan my summer finances around my kids (and summer band - oy!) instead.

Here's a newsflash: Making the satisfaction of my expectations RCA's responsibility (or Clay's responsibility) hasn't worked for me. Therefore, my expectations for this album and Clay's career remain HIGH...but I henceforth take total ownership of them. Being a Clay Aiken fan is teaching me patience. I want it all and I want it NOW...but I also have faith in Clay's longevity. A long career has many twists and turns.

We'll see how long I can hang onto "zen". lol

Ldyj, you said a lot of what I was thinking...thanks! :F_05BL17blowkiss: ...and like Ansa said, Clay always leaves me wanting more.

I think he said it best, "Perfection takes time, honey." I guess we'll just have to wait and see how long it will take for the next perfectly wonderful tour to happen.

I also think that at this point...they really don't know what direction to take for the next tour. I think this CD is some kind of litmus test for the possible direction of the expansion of Clay's fanbase. At this point I find it very interesting that he said that people may not like all of the CD. I think Clay is trying out new sounds and they are not sure how the fanbase will react to it. They also have to see what the general public's reaction will be. I think they need to see the markets' response to the CD before they plan the next tour. Then they can continue to promote it, pushing more than one single... if they want to get bigger venues for the tour.

I really think they are being very careful with the promo of this CD. They want a slow and steady build...I can see a spring 2009 tour too.

ldyj... good points.

Ansa... welcome back!

Disappointing about international touring. Wonder why.

I'm ok with him not touring this summer... the man needs a break. 8 shows a week for 15 weeks, plus intense rehearsals and probably extra rehearsals to help his replacement... I'm tired just typing it out! :cryingwlaughter:

I'm glad there is at least one rockin' out song. We need some songwriters in the fandom to create fast songs with meaningful lyrics to a certain cutesingerman.

5 weeks...

0lsee... good attitude! I agree that Clay doesn't tell all. He likes to keep some stuff private, especially his private life. I think he also does get tired of the hoopdedo of the complainers in his fandom that angst at the drop of a hat, so keeps as much to himself as he can for as long as he can. I would, too.

I'm very happy with what she managed to find out. Wonder what will be different in the magazine?

Change of topic... I changed my Clay calendar and have the picture of Clay from GFI where he looks so gorgeous. The title is, "I'm not a hooker." :cryingwlaughter: "We" all understand, but everyone who has come into my office asks WTH and I get to explain about the auction and his comment. Love it! They usually just roll their eyes! :cryingwlaughter:

It's not this one, but the one where he had one hand up to the side of his face, but this one will remind you how gorgeous he was that day...

vlcsnap-44859.png

Clay says his record label doesn't release his albums in those places

Color me clueless, but I just don't understand why any record label would NOT release such a recognizable name and voice (via American Idol, if for no other reason) internationally. Didn't Kelly get international promotion? No? Hell, I don't know....just seems weird that a business would miss out on opportunities to make money...

Not surprised about the no-2008 Summer tour...I get tired just thinking about his schedule. I wouldn't be shocked, either, if an actual TOUR doesn't happen until 2009. I betcha he'll still do his Christmas tour, though.

Interesting that he talked about the 'meaning' of the lyrics re: HIS life. I was thinking about that just last night. It's downright HAWT to start thinking about how a song about "Sacrificial Love' might have relevance to his own experiences (ifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkyoudo)...you know---that relationship that you 'do' to pass the time, ideally with both people in agreement about the temporary nature of said "doing" (friends with benefits? :hubbahubba: )....heh. And I agree with 00lsee and others that Clay's never going to start baring his soul (or regrettably, any other yummy part of his anatomy) to us by actually saying something like, "And this song expresses how I felt when this girl I was knocking the bottom out of decided that she wanted to go back to her loser ex boyfriend, so I got really trashed one night and found myself passed out in some hooker's room. Of course, I like hookers, so I was really okay with that part of it, but it was a wild time in my life, for sure...and this song just, well...it just says it all."

BWAH! :cryingwlaughter:

guess the only thing I wouldn't like would be the "techno" sound, should he have some of that, and that is if is masks hios voice, the bitty bot in Invisible didn't bother me r (too much), but I hatesses Timberlake et all no voice music.

Thank you God for this place of sanity and logical thinking...my mouth is still hanging open from the stuff I am reading on other boards! :F_05BL17blowkiss: and huge hug to FCA!

That said, I am disappointed there won't be a summer tour but I can live with Fall or even a Christmas Tour if I have to.

These were fan questions; questions the fans wanted answer, can't fault Clay if some don't like the answers he gave.

I am really looking forward to the CD; it sounds so interesting; not going to listen to any snippets though, want to be completely surprised.

Kim

:fca: Its getting very angsty out there. The speculation and extrapolating is running rampant.

It is! I ventured out to lurk at a few boards.... :wacko:

I just can't find it in myself to get so worked up over this one little interview. I'm still enjoying everyone's Spam recaps, I'm getting ready to Spam myself, I'm looking forward to the new album, of which I'm pretty sure I'll like 99.9% and I'm not yet dead, so all's right in my little corner of the world!

Besides, I think I look cuter like this :flirtysmile3: than this :smokelots:

KAndre looks around..

Eh, we're good!

And Clay's hot (in an overly blond sort of way)!

And in 33 days I'm gonna have me a tasty new CD to listen too!

Hey! What happened to us getting a countdown thingie?

Kim, ditto!

It's nice to have a place like this for comfort. Sure is like a roller coaster out there today.

Yeah, but it is usually the same people, saying the same things they said back in 2006 and frankly, I am just not ready for ATDW, part 2.

Kim

From the CH

QUOTE("ellenpoppy")

CLACK ALERT

A friend at Fox has given me the go-ahead to bring this info to the boards:

Clay's Spamalot interview will be on American Idol Extra (Fox Reality Channel) this week, on Thursday!

It had originally been scheduled for a later date. Please check your local listings!

Finally! A chance to read through and ponder. So I will take a page from ldyj's book:

ACTING: "I enjoy being myself more than I enjoy being somebody else." In other words, he has enjoyed working in Spamalot but he's not looking for another Broadway role, nor is he looking to do movies, as some of you wanted to know. Clay always leaves the door open — so he says that if the right opportunity came along he would look at it — but made clear he is not actively pursuing acting.

Not surprised at all. Clay is NOT an actor. He is a singer. While I think he is good in Spamalot, I have never been of the mind the man was God's gift to acting! It is completely different discipline. Clay loves to sing. I think the things that attracted him to Spamalot had nothing to do with the opportunity to be an actor.

It does make laugh, though, considering the things I was reading on the boards about him being the star of Mike Nichol's new movie! :cryingwlaughter:

TOURING OTHER COUNTRIES: Those of you who want him to come to Australia, Norway, Singapore and more are out of luck. Why? Clay says his record label doesn't release his albums in those places. He is actually surprised he has fans in some the places he does. He laughed and said folks can call the Sony-BMG offices in their region to tell them they want Clay's records released toere. Or, "They can spam them like they spam you," he said in a nod to the internet following he has.

Hee! I love his sense of humor - even when he is obviously laughing at his fans!

His albums have been in the past, and OMWH is now, on several foreign Amazon sites. But full out promotion? I think he has to prove he is HUGE here before the label will promote him overseas. He is not yet HUGE (well, he is, but that's not what I'm talking about.... :whistling-1: ). He is pretty popular, but his fan base is not all that big in terms of the entire population of the US. He is more of a cultural star than a pop star. That doesn't translate well out of this country - a country where to this day the majority of people still think of him as that skinny kid who was the runner-up on AI2. I would bet IF he becomes bigger as a pop star here, the label will promote him overseas. But I think the label's priority - and Clay's - are right here in this country.

And yes I think the label is and will promote this album. I think the label is responsible for the Playbill ad, for example. I just think the promo won't suit the idea of great promo in some fans' minds.

By the way, when was the last time you read a press release on a CD of someone you like but are not obsessive about?

TOURING IN GENERAL: "I'm taking a break," Clay said. He knows that you all want to see him again, and acknowledged that there were some press reports that he would tour this summer but "we never said we were planning on touring this summer. Do we plan on touring for this (new) album? Yes. But not this summer." Clay says he hates to be "a bubble-burster" for those of you looking forward to it but, for one thing, "there hasn't been enough time to put (a tour) together."

YIPPEE!! I can save money!!

Seriously, I NEVER thought Clay would tour in the summer. I just couldn't imagine it. After being away from home for so long, going right into CD promo and then tour? I know he likes to keep busy, but he also likes to sleep! I also wouldn't be surprised if he has a UNICEF trip in the works for the summer. I think we may see a tour in the fall (I'm thinking September/October) and then a Christmas tour. If the CD has legs, we may see sort of a part 2 of the tour in the winter.

All speculation, of course, because he hasn't texted me lately! :lilredani:

PRODUCING OTHERS: He knows that those even younger than he have produced the work of other talented people and he admires that but "it's not necessarily a plan."

I thought this was a weird question? Did he ever express any interest in producing others?

TALK SHOW: Now, here is something he clearly would like to do. "We put feelers out for this, that or the other...we make known what we think we're interested in doing," Clay says, using We meaning He. And he says they've made it known that talk is something he's interested in doing. But, like Spamalot, he says, sometimes it's a matter of ideas and opportunities coming together at the right time. Bottom line: nothing in the works right now.

I know he wants this, but damn, this is something I would rather see him have in 10 years or more. Talk shows come and go and they are a dime a dozen. I just really do not want to see him doing this yet.

Of course, he doesn't consult me.....

NYC vs. N.C.: "NO," he says, when I ask if he would like to relocate to New York permanently. "I prefer New York to a lot of other places. But living here, I don't think I could do. Living here for short spurts of time is fine." He says, "I need my back yard," and then we got into how he had to send his two dogs back to Raleigh because "New York is not a place to be a dog," and how it's never quiet in NYC and rents and mortgages are outrageous and...you get the picture.

Not surprised here! And boy, he must miss his pups! All the reasons he cites for not wanting to live in NY are mine too - and he HAS the money! I love NY for short periods of time, but living there would just be exhausting - even if I were rich.

THE NEW ALBUM: "I know a lot (of the fans) like to like everything I do," Clay says, but on the new album there will be something everyone won't like, but also something everyone WILL like. A lot of you want Clay to rock out, or as he calls it "do rockin' songs" — and he says on the new album he does — but it's hard for him to find such songs. "I can't find one I'm comfortable with." He was reluctant to pick a favorite or signature song from this album but eventually said the song Something About Us could be it.

Interesting that he says there is something everyone won't like. Does he mean everyone won't like the same thing or that there will be at least one thing on the album that every person won't like? Kind of weird because why would you make an album knowing everyone won't like something? I think its likely there will be some who will like everything on the album - or at least not admit it if they don't. There are some fans out there who think everything Clay does is perfect no matter what. But I think for most of us, chances are if we are honest, there is probably a song or two on each of his albums we haven't particularly liked. I HOPE what he is trying to say is not everyone will like everything but there is something on it for everyone.

As for his "rockin' out" - first, I suspect his definition of rockin' out and some people's are probably different, but I am not surprised Clay doesn't see himself as a rocker. And, IMO, NO ONE SHOULD BE SURPRISED!

I am curious about "Something About Us". I looked on the ASCAP site and there are 3 songs listed with that title (and I also noticed some of the songs - LAA, Everything I Don't Need", As Long As We're Here and Sacrificial Love - don't appear at all while the song title "Falling" has 90 listings!!) so I doubt anyone will be able to find which of these songs (or if any of them) is the one on his CD.

MUSIC VS. LYRICS: For Clay, it's all about the words. He says 90 percent of the songs on the new album were chosen for the lyrics: "In some way, on all of those, I connect." But he's not going to tell us how or why he connects to each specific song. Why? "Because you want people to connect for their own reasons." In other words, he doesn't want us reading into each song the possible applications to his life when we should be finding meaning in them for ourselves.

WE HAVE A CONNECTION!!! :00000442: Anyone who has ever read - or rolled their eyes - at my posts KNOWS I am a lyrics person!!!! I always suspected Clay was too because he is very good at interpreting songs and I think you have to understand what the song is about to do that.

I am glad he isn't saying why he connects with these songs. I think part of the reason is he doesn't want to let us know some things about his life, but I truly think the other is exactly what he said - he wants people to connect to the songs for their own reason. He doesn't want to influence what the songs mean to the listener. What if he said Sacrifical Love were about the kitten he ran over? Would any of us ever be able to think of anything else but that poor squished kitty when we heard it?? :cry4: The songs will mean much more to each of us if their meaning connects with something in our lives.

Whoever said this lyrics thing is one reason he has a hard time finding "rockin'" songs he likes may be right. Most songs like that don't have meaningful lyrics (obviously there are some exceptions). I think most "rockin'" songs are written for the beat, not the words.

An album filled with Clay's voice and meaningful lyrics?? I.CANNOT.WAIT!!!!!!!

And why am I not surprised head are exploding and people are angsting elsewhere. When I get home I may stiffen up my courage and venture forth.

Too bad I don't have some armour and some heavily armed Christians to take with me! :imgtongue:

ETA: Cool! A long assed post and the top of the page too!!! How cool am I!

Heee - I'm at work, and read the article on google before I even came to any of the boards. I knew RIGHT AWAY that there would be angsting over this article. Didn't even have to go to any boards to figure that one out. People are so predictable!

I don't see a reason for angsting, myself. Clay has been working very, very hard, and it's time for him to have a much-deserved break. Good for him! I'm just thrilled to have an album with such a cool, cohesive theme, with original music that he picked. I can't wait to listen to it. And, I'll be able to see him in whatever promotion he gets, so there will be new clack! It's all good.

Would I like to see him marketed internationally? Sure! Would I like a summer tour? Sure! Would I like him to tell us what each song means to him, in detail? Maybe - but I also like the idea that everyone takes their own meaning from the lyrics. But you know, it's Clay's career, not mine. I'm just here to enjoy the ride (heh), not to make decisions or advise Clay or his people about what decisions to make. So, I'll enjoy what I can, and let go of the rest. It sure is a lot more fun than angsting over every little thing!

TOURING OTHER COUNTRIES: Those of you who want him to come to Australia, Norway, Singapore and more are out of luck. Why? Clay says his record label doesn't release his albums in those places. He is actually surprised he has fans in some the places he does. He laughed and said folks can call the Sony-BMG offices in their region to tell them they want Clay's records released there. Or, "They can spam them like they spam you," he said in a nod to the internet following he has.

Okay, I'm confused...MOAN and ATDW were released in Singapore weren't they? :unsure:

From the CH

QUOTE("ellenpoppy")

CLACK ALERT

Clay's Spamalot interview will be on American Idol Extra (Fox Reality Channel) this week, on Thursday!

It had originally been scheduled for a later date. Please check your local listings!

Wow! No one read's couchie's posts???? Is that allowed????

(She posted this a little earlier....)

From the CH

QUOTE("ellenpoppy")

CLACK ALERT

Wow! No one read's couchie's posts???? Is that allowed????

(She posted this a little earlier....)

Sorry, I must have missed it...thought it was something new.

Kim