#30: Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken
    • "If I hear the term 'radio-friendly' one more time, I'm going to scream"
    • I'm ridiculously in love with the man & that's all there is to it.
    • "That will be an extra $50 for the butt squeeze!"
    • A snippet of Clay beats the hell out of the whole damn thing of anyone else!
    • Slovenia...who would a thunk it? I love Slovenia.
    • And if you strip away the friendly sweaters and smooth hair and charming smile, there's a feral creature underneath waiting to BITE you.
    • We've climbed on Mr. Aiken's Wild Ride!!!! Only this time it's an A Ticket!!!!
    • "You're doing GREAT!"
    • Clay Aiken is my high.
    • Clay Aiken is more punk then any of these groups.
    • "I still don't understand why people like my ass, I'm sorry!"

I don't think she meant anything dire, Iseeme. Just a need to process her day.

Thanks for your recap, CG.... and for your calling muski to share the dish. That's a nice detail about TRM and him singing it for the hostess chick.

On my teevee I didn't think Clay came off tired or low key or anything, barring full-on wonky eye, which is adorable anyway! I've seen many people say that tho, so it's not just you. I just felt like he dialed it back a tad in the interview parts to fit on that particular show. I remember Clay being a pretty good read on how to play a room. And I just figured that's what he was doing. He may have been tired, tho... cuz the guy is putting in a pretty crazy schedule, and this is nap day. LOL! But he seemed happy and playful enough, and after the first maybe five minutes (when he babbled a bit... hee!), he seemed really comfortable and confident with what he was doing too.

I think his hair looked pretty good too... especially at the beginning of TRM after he ran his hand through it. YUM!

He definitely bobbled a few notes, but nothing horrible -- it's live singing after all. I thought his voice sounded particularly good, especially on TRM and SAU.

Yes, SAU is one of my favorites, and today was AWESOME! I really liked EIDN too - OMG, the growly parts and the falsettos mixed in... HOT! The other one (not OMWH) was just so-so for me, but I'll have to listen again, because honestly, I don't remember it. I think he hypnotized me with the way he was holding the mic at the end of it. LOL!

Ya know what's weird tho... the stream sounded way better than the TV at my house. I actually turned off my TV and went back to the stream to hear it -- it was just richer or something. I understand the studio sound was wacky. Too bad. If you go to QVC and listen to it on the computer, I'd be interested to know if that sounded better to you vs. the studio.

I don't think about what the appearance meant to his sales, particularly. It's part of a promotional package. One part of a whole, I guess. I'm way past worrying about his sales. I don't even buy when I'm supposed to or more than one or anything anymore. Well, unless I actually WANT more than one.

Good to hear from the travelers!!

What I look like, a scalper?

:cryingwlaughter:

...and everything KAndre said too! LOL!

If this is Clay off his game (WTF???), then just imageine when he's on.

I LOVED his performance. It's hardly a regular concert, so he can't go bouncing around interacting with the audience. His purpose was to sing and sell. He seemed to do pretty well on both counts.

If this is Clay off his game (WTF???), then just imageine when he's on.

I LOVED his performance. It's hardly a regular concert, so he can't go bouncing around interacting with the audience. His purpose was to sing and sell. He seemed to do pretty well on both counts.

I'm with you wanda, I thought the singing was great. I heard 2 maybe 3 notes that cracked a little. I think the wonky eye did show up much more than I've noticed in a long time. OMWH sounded really good to me. I liked that ETIDN was such a different sound for him and I thought that came accross very well. It's interesting how his TV appearances translate differently to everyone. I honestly believe that there is such a difference in each of these "studios" I remember when he was doing promo for ATDW, there were versions of WY that just didn't sound good to me, but the folks who saw them live said they were great in person.

It appeared to me that it was a rather "intimate" studio, and it sounded like Clay performed the songs with that in mind. The couple of MP3s that I've downloaded and listened to sound pretty darn good to me. I loved what I heard of TRM his voice sounds tender and vulnerable what I heard was very poignant, left me really wanting more. I am so excited to listen to this whole CD.

From CV... Looks like Wes's (the guitarist) schedule gives clues to new appearances on May 9th and 13th.

I'm heading to bed but just wanted to drop this off here.

Posted at the CB---

This is Wes Hutchinson's schedule. He is the Guitarist who was on QVC backing Clay tonight. I believe we have another CLAY APPEARANCE on The Early Morning Show On May 9th . Check out this guy's website.

http://www.weshutchinson.com/wes/2008/tour/

and aol sessions on the 13th

and EEEH! I guess we have our answer, to whether he is performing..everything but kimmel :)

It is just my opinion that he seemed off his game and while some don't believe Clay can ever be off his game, the fact is he can be. He is human after all! That was my perception watching him in the studio.

You will just have to take my word for it. It WAS different being there. I have just watched the video off the QVC website and it is MUCH better. In the studio I had trouble even hearing his voice - the music was so loud - or rather the balance seemed very off. He DID seem more subdued to me, and not just because of the intimate nature of the studio. I can't really explain it. Just how I felt.

I am glad I watched the video even though it is WAY too late for me to be up, but it has helped ease some of my concerns. Still LOVE SAU the best. Its just sexy!

So I feel a tad better. Like I said before I just need to process the whole thing.

So don't jump down my throat for not being blown away and not thinking he was perfection. After a good night's sleep (wait - its after 1am - I have to be up in 5-1/2 hours! So much for a good night's sleep!).... After I get some rest and have time, after work of course, to watch and listen and absorb, I may have a whole new take on things.

I still love him. I still adore his voice. So its not all bad!

ETA: How do people ferret out this information? How did they ever find out who the guitarist (who was very cute, by the way!) was???? And YAY for AOL sessions! I adored the AOL sessions for MOAM!

Still cannot imagine why he isn't performing on Kimmel though!

Well I think you're right - it is just one part of the whole! I just watched it again and The Real Me is just stunningly poignant. That's the one I can hardly wait to hear in concert.

Didn't mean to overreact, but CG - worried about his future after going to QVC? That kind of squicked me out a titch. I hope you're just tired! Fortunately the eyeliner didn't show up so much on TV....When I went to the LA Gala lo these many years ago and met Clay up close I was startled by how white his eyelashes are. His eyes are beautiful but they aren't surrounded by anything that presents them. I know he wore eye makeup on AI so it was kind of - whoa, what happened to his eyes. I'm guessing that's what created the need.... I also don't care for the pancake makeup - like to see those freckles. But...he's so pale!!! Typical redhead coloring!

This is going to be an interesting ride. The songs are complex and interpretive and that's a good thing! I just have such a good feeling about this CD.

Interesting also that he's the best selling male Idol alum...he looked like he hadn't thought of that or heard that before!

In any case - it's all good. And I appreciate all the recaps. I feel like we're at the top of a roller coaster about to take the plunge!!!

Bring it on!

ETA: CG - we posted at the same time! I wasn't jumping down your throat. Was just surprised. Sorry! You must be exhausted! I'm glad you liked the video.

My main "critique" of Clay today remains this: to me he seemed uncomfortable on stage. THAT'S such an unusual thing that I started to feel sorta uncomfortable, too! But I don't think the casual viewer tuning in would have the same observation.

To me Clay seemed to lack animation, energy, his usual incredibly expressive, emotive way of delivering a song. I'm NOT criticizing his voice---yeah, it cracked here and there and he seemed to be straining at times---but hell, the man's been non stop singing and dancing---all at the same time! :cryingwlaughter: so I'm not taking points off because of a crack here or there. I was grinning while listening to the VOX singing new songs; I just wasn't as enraptured by the persona as I usually am because I didn't quite see it. I saw a handsome, grown up, gracious man (Whose jeans RAWKED :hubbahubba: ).with a disarming smile and a killer voice...and I loved the songs...He's gonna make a few of these signature songs, IMO. :clap:

As for his not being really animated as a way to play to this particular audience or setting? I understand that concept, but he's played live on tv shows before and shown much more ooomph in his performance, IMO. So...attribute it to the newness of the songs, the low-key? aura of this particular setting, his being tired to the core and/or his voice being tired from Spamalot, etc., the band being not so practiced together and/or the sound mixing being less than....or none or all of the above. Whatever. I hope this appearance garnered him many new admirers and sold mucho records. And I hope he's happy about doing the show. I love seeing him whenever, wherever.

And I hope he has a chance to get some rest and get HIS band together and get ready to perform on other shows with his usual animalistic charisma and comfort level...gah. I bet he'll just continue to mess with the delivery of these songs each time and they'll just be better and better.

YSRN...when I was watching and listening to the QVC stream on my desktop computer at work through my headphones, I thought he sounded really good. Then I got home and rewatched it on a videotape on my television and it didn't sound as smooth, so I don't know what that actually means...but there IS a difference to my ears, too. I haven't listened to the mp3 downloads and I don't think I will right now. I'll wait for the cd. :wub:

G'night, all! I get to see Sir Robin again soon---five more sleeps! :DoClay:

BTW...I'm in SERIOUS lust with EIDN...and SAU...not so much with WIDTL, but once I hear the whole danged song, I'll probably be TRM's bitch, too! :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: OMG, Iseeme!

When I went to the LA Gala lo these many years ago and met Clay up close
Were you at the VIP reception before the gala? I was, too! A friend invited me to join her table that her husband's employer bought.... :lilredani:

whoa! Lookie here at the guitarist's schedule!

Wes Hutchinson

Apr 28 2008 7:00P /EST

Playing guitar for Clay Aiken on the QVC Show... This will be a live broadcast!!!

May 7 2008 7:00A/EST

Playing guitar for Clay Aiken on the Good Morning America

May 8 2008 11:00A/EST

Playing guitar for Clay Aiken on The View

May 9 2008 7:00A/EST

Playing guitar for Clay Aiken on The Early Morning Show

May 12 2008 11:30P/EST

Playing guitar for Clay Aiken on The Tonight Show Jay Leno

May 13 2008 7:00P/EST

Playing guitar for Clay Aiken on the AOL Sessions Live

May 19 2008 12:30A/EST

Playing guitar for Clay Aiken on The Craig Ferguson Show

And before that last appearance is a non-performing appearance on Kimmel, I guess, huh? Oh, YESSS! to so much Clay on my teevee! :clap:

After seeing the Easter Bonnet competition today and seeing all the signed materials and everything else that goes on, I think the amount of amazing work that Clay has been doing for the last 4 months is grossly underestimated by most of his fans. This man had been busy! he has not been sitting around as some obvious idiots think (read some boards, there are plenty of people who don't think Clay has ever done enough). I would not be surprised if he has not done some UNICEF stuff, and he still has to answer on the maintenance on his house, sing the checks, etc. Stars that have others sign the checks end up with no money. I can't even imagine when he got time to practice with Hannah or sign the 50 million pieces of paper or spend the extra hour a show taking pictures when others had to take a break while preparing for .

I went to see the tape, since I just missed QVC, and for some reason, there is static on all the song parts! I guess I stay a virgin a bit longer, but it sucks. If I wasn't tired I would download the show now. He didn't look particularly at ease on QVC, but that is probably because it is a new thing for him, to have to be guided instead of in charge. he did look cute, though. how can he help it? Anyway, any subsequent appearances on QVC would probably be comfortable. I could see a Christmas appearance, his album is great.

After seeing the Easter Bonnet competition today and seeing all the signed materials and everything else that goes on, I think the amount of amazing work that Clay has been doing for the last 4 months is grossly underestimated by most of his fans. This man had been busy! he has not been sitting around as some obvious idiots think (read some boards, there are plenty of people who don't think Clay has ever done enough). I would not be surprised if he has not done some UNICEF stuff, and he still has to answer on the maintenance on his house, sing the checks, etc. Stars that have others sign the checks end up with no money. I can't even imagine when he got time to practice with Hannah or sign the 50 million pieces of paper or spend the extra hour a show taking pictures when others had to take a break while preparing for .

I went to see the tape, since I just missed QVC, and for some reason, there is static on all the song parts! I guess I stay a virgin a bit longer, but it sucks. If I wasn't tired I would download the show now. He didn't look particularly at ease on QVC, but that is probably because it is a new thing for him, to have to be guided instead of in charge. he did look cute, though. how can he help it? Anyway, any subsequent appearances on QVC would probably be comfortable. I could see a Christmas appearance, his album is great.

playbiller

The video from tonight is up on the QVC site. www.qvc.com Look for recently aired items (something like that) look for his name on the left, click on that, look for the picture of his cds in the middle and then when you click on that at the top of the next sheet you see a video tab. Whole show is there.

ETA Single is up for download at Amazon.com for the American fans. Canadians can't dl and amazon.ca does not have it. *sigh*

Things I remember about this weekend in no particular order – because order isn’t a big thing with me:

The Sikh Day Parade with the thousands of various colored turbans, and the music and incense and OMG where’s OOlsee??? Okay she found us!

Losing my companions in the mash of people at the Armenian Genocide Commemoration.

Perusing One for guiding us to a most charming and eclectic Upper West Side café that was so so New York that I expected to see Elaine Benes walk in. And for their wonderful sugar-free cheesecake (seemingly without any chemical sweeteners, it was to die for), and Heidi Ho’s Jezebel that was so pretty to look at, and the array of sweets and cheeses and coffee and concoctions – all served in intricately designed glasses. That café was perfecto!

For KAndre, an artist at hailing cabs with good old-fashioned Claudette Colbert tactics – namely a snap of the fingers and extreme décolletage, sparkles, and stilettos. When it comes to cleavage, this woman leaves Hannah in the dust.

To the West End Café for excellent cuisine and a great backdrop for meeting and enjoying friends. And ME for ordering something I’d never heard of and that I ultimately absolutely adored! Who knew from Bronzino and that it could be so unbelievably good! And this was a place we basically stumbled into after rejecting so many establishments on 8th that we determined to eat at the next place. People from Texas just are not going to get Mexican food or barbeque in New York. Ain’t gonna happen.

Café Martinique – breakfast by piano accompaniment. I realize that I could become spoiled with so little effort.

Heidi Ho – Who so generously opened her hotel room to me because of a shared tolerance/preference for night sounds of the TV kind. And what’s more, we discovered Holy Cow We Share a Brain!!!!! Who knew? A perfect example in my life of “What a Difference a Clay Makes.”

(Note to OOlsee and merrieeee: Thanks for your abiding patience on Saturday. I threw those Friday Night shoes in the trash today. I should have burned them.)

The ridiculously expensive and delicious Exotic Margarita(s) at Hard Rock Cafe – and worth it just to see those original Beatles’ suits and remember looking at John, Paul, George and Ringo wearing them so long ago that it seemed like yesterday, and … wow, there they were encased before me. I felt so 15 again!

Playbiller, with her smiling eyes and warm heart. So lovely to see you again, my friend.

Finally sleeping with Merrieeee even if it was a quickie from 2:00 to 3:15 a.m.!

OOlsee -- for never meeting a stranger, even on our subway excursions in the middle of the night, or with the Breakfast Buffet Hawk at the Marriott, who couldn’t resist her charms. But mainly on the general principle of being a beautiful person and downright fabulous, irreplaceable traveling companion and Earth Mother.

Big thanks and heavy gratitude from me to the dynamo that is Solo for a guided tour of the subway system and helping me burn off untold calories in the process. High five, baby! And also, most supremely, for allowing me the seat of a lifetime on Sunday night – I’ll never forget that show as long as I live. What that man did right in front of my eyes, I still don’t know if I believe it happened. And from the way Solo was grabbing my arm, I kind of think she liked it too. I had a feeling.

Chatting it up with the dude from Amsterdam who sat beside me Saturday night. He was so cool and thought the show was “unbelieveable” – which I had already surmised since he laughed his ass off all night long. It was a pleasure to meet this very interesting man.

For Friday night in extreme right Row A when Clay was doing the shimmies and thrusts at the end of the show … in my FACE. But a big BOO to whoever let out those white pants. KILLJOY!!

For unforgettable matinees with merrieeee and OOlsee. For seeing the show 5 times in three days and enjoying it more every time, culminating with the tour de force last night. For the earworms from the show that we sang and the lines of dialogue that seemed to apply to every situation all weekend. Of course, we're not obsessed, or are we, merrieeee? You tell me, because it appears we travel in the same boat, sugaree.

For seeing Jerome with his mom.

For Rick’s slow humping French Taunter last night (Sunday night is still last night for me at this moment). OMG that simulation was just flat out nasty, and I loved it, shameless perv that I am.

For getting Tom’s autograph outside on Saturday afternoon – he’s such a doll! And for his plaintive ad lib “What’s going on?” from the dead cart Sunday night in light of Clay and Rick doing some un-scripted, un-choreographed, and highly provocative moves. The roar of the crowd!

Speaking of roar of the crowd … I don’t recall anything topping the crowd response to The Artist Formerly Known As … singing “I Like Big Butts.” The crowd got the joke and the cast other than Clay seemed surprised by it. Now Clay? He had two grabby hands out like he was going after big butt! Jeez Loueez that was priceless.

For Clay's pitches at the end of the show -- and for saying "You all say to me 'I voted for you, Clay' - but you know you didn't! You didn't vote for me. So give up your money - dollars, euros, pesos, we're in a recession anyway so give it up."

I love David Hibbard’s Patsy so completely. He could have stolen my heart, if it didn’t already belong to another cast member. For five consecutive shows he made me laugh to the hilt, and then could turn around have me on the verge of tearing up. He’s magnificent in my book.

And Couchie!!! merrieeee thinks Couchie's name is "Couch ToMAHto" - but it's not, it's Couch TaMAYda, don't you know?!) I FINALLY got to meet Couchie live and in person, and it was like meeting an old and dear friend. Ha Ha Ha = Couchie had imagined me as “reserved.” PSYCH!!! No really, Couchie, what part of my posts about being a total lunatic music fanatic, ex-flower child/ peyote muncher did you miss???? (Yes, I'm part Native American, and considered that I was entitled.)

ShellyC – Who is so lovely and gave us a welcomed respite at the Millenium when desperately needed. I loved meeting Shelly and hearing her stories of the "old days" at the AI tour in 2003.

I also want to thank … whoever made the cannolis at that pizza place where I got to chat with Ficus and her guy “Ficadood” (now that’s funny), and where amidst the pizza and ice cream and beer and sodas and cannolis, an exhausted group of returnees from the Great Philly Food Excursion of 2008 were fighting exhaustion and Scarlett dozed with her head on the table. Awwww, she needed a soft pillow so badly, sweet Scarlett. But then we were off and it was second wind time (or third?) for the eHP!

Thanks also to the chef at the Irish Pub for the best onion soup I've ever had.

And then there was my first experience of the whole trip, when I stopped at my local Starbucks before driving downtown to pick up KAndre, with whom I was staying the night before our early a.m. flight. The cashier dude knows me and asked me why I was there at 4 p.m. instead of my usual 9 a.m. I told him I had been busy getting ready for a trip to NY to see Spamalot. The barrista dude perked right up at that and said he was a Spamalot fan and had seen the show the year before in NY, and that he had the soundtrack in his car and played it often. And then, the payoff, this 25-ish Starbucks dude said ….. “Clay Aiken is in the show now.” And me, I just couldn’t resist .. I looked right in his face and said … “You mean the American Idol Clay Aiken??? He’s in Spamalot?” The guy said, “Yeah, and I hear he’s really great in it.”

Now THAT was what I call an auspicious beginning. That and seeing the most exquisite Clack in the world via KAndre's surround sound. Who knew there was this much Clack in the world. And as I told her, if she can send this stuff to Austrialia, she can send it across Houston. Sounds reasonable, huh? How I ever missed Long Island/All Is Well is a shame and a disgrace. Thank God it's in my life now. And ... all those Independent and NAT vids that can't be viewed just once.

For getting to the airport in time!!! KAndre drives like a bat out of hell, but she doesn't make me nervous. I think maybe "bat out of hell" is in her comfort zone of control. She's very good.

I have so much more to say when my brain starts functioning again. Everything that happened from Friday to returning this morning was momentous and memorable. It was the trip of a lifetime. And all because of this guy named Clay Aiken.

Who is he, really?

Who is he, really?

The million dollar question.

The answer is very, very, very long. :)

Thanks for sharing! I'm jellus, of course, but I enjoyed the vicarious journey very much.

And I think on that note, I'm hittin' the hay.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

keepingfaith :clap: and :F_05BL17blowkiss: for that recap.

For getting Tom’s autograph outside on Saturday afternoon – he’s such a doll! And for his plaintive ad lib “What’s going on?” from the dead cart Sunday night in light of Clay and Rick doing some un-scripted, un-choreographed, and highly provocative moves. The roar of the crowd!

Speaking of roar of the crowd … I don’t recall anything topping the crowd response to The Artist Formerly Known As … singing “I Like Big Butts.” The crowd got the joke and the cast other than Clay seemed surprised by it. Now Clay? He had two grabby hands out like he was going after big butt! Jeez Loueez that was priceless.

For Clay's pitches at the end of the show -- and for saying "You all say to me 'I voted for you, Clay' - but you know you didn't! You didn't vote for me. So give up your money - dollars, euros, pesos, we're in a recession anyway so give it up."

I love David Hibbard’s Patsy so completely. He could have stolen my heart, if it didn’t already belong to another cast member. For five consecutive shows he made me laugh to the hilt, and then could turn around have me on the verge of tearing up. He’s magnificent in my book.

I'd say I was jealous, but I'm really not. I'm just happy you have such a great memory!

I need to go back and catch up because I've been skimming a lot - wheeeeeeeeeee, I love when things start getting so hectic I can't keep up! But I seem to have this problem, I have to keep watching the QVC clack on repeat. :hubbahubba: I am going to love this album so much!

More first aid training for me today.

Good Morning Everyone,

1 Day until Clay is on Tyra/E.T.! (April 30)

2 Days until Clay is on VH1 Countdown (May 1)

5 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot (May 4)

7 Days until On My Way Here is Here! (May 6)

8 Days until Clay is on GMA (May 7)

9 Days until Clay is on The View (May 8)

10 Days until Clay is on The Early Show (May 9)

13 Days until Clay is on Leno (May12)

14 Days until AOL Sessions (May 13)

17 Days until The Climmel (May 16)

20 Days until Craig Ferguson (May 19)

Everyone have a great day!

Good morning everyone, I have been a member since the summer but I haven't really posted. But I met Claygasm and talked her ear off on our train ride back to PA from Sunday's matinee and I thought I really should visit and say "hey" (not to be confused with "hay"). (waves to CG!)

I taught last night and did not see much of QVC live but I did give my students a break and took a peek. It was hard to return to class. I watched it on my computer when I got home and really loved it. I was not a snippet virgin however and so the songs had just a bit of familiarity that helped them wash over me. Somehow I wonder if that helps the receptivity of new music. I rarely like or love a song the first time I listen to it. I might be intrigued by it but it takes a couple of listens.

I absolutely loved what I heard. The Real Me and Something About Us were fighting each other for the top spot in my heart since I heard them on the Slovenian snippets and they did not disappoint last night.

I am not in lust (yet) over Everything I Ever Knew, yet it is the type of song I absolutely love. I think the song is not a natural fit for Clay even though I think he can excel at green eyed soul. I really think the song has a Bonnie Rait vibe to it and I found myself fantasizing a duet between the two of them.

Clay may have been tired and perhaps that is why he seemed dialed back to some. Actually I like his stage presence, it had a mature, sophisticated feel to me. I thought he looked incredibly hot and manly. Loved his hair, his clothing choices, really thought he looked wonderful.

Oh forgot, where I draw the line. Very radio friendly, i think, and I really, really like the song. Love the bridge.

Duckyvee and I will be seeing Spamalot this Sunday evening. Hope to meet some of you then!

oops, forgot something else. For anyone who would like to hear OMWH on the radio, WROZ(they stream) will be playing it during their noon to one oclock hour (EST) this week. Not sure what day but I will try to alert you if I find out. I know the PD and emailed me that he will be playing it. He is a Clay fan.

Edit to add: www.roseradio.com

Its TUESDAY!!! time for a BANNER change....

Our new Banner is by Cindilu2...a homage to Clay's evolution....Thanks Cindi!!! its stunning as usual.

Glad to see you posting Cagney...hope you do more oftne specially if you bear great radio play news...a Clay Fan PD???That sounds great to me!!!

Before dragging my very tired little body and mind to work, I thought you might like some pretties courtesy of fountaindawg at the CH!

20080428QVCduo.jpg

20080428QVCduows.jpg

**Wave to cagney** Glad you stopped by! Come see us more often! It was great talking with you on the train!

I wonder if people felt Clay was so subdued or tired because for the past 4 months we have gotten used to Broadway Clay?

When I was watching it live yesterday I was on chat with LadyJ and all I was doing was EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEing and thinking ...he sounds soooo good on these songs. I was pretty impressed at how close he sounded to the recording of OMWH. I didn't think he was extra ordinarily subdued in the interviews...He probably was not too sure about the whole format because it was Clay selling himself...and he is not too good at promoting himself IMO. I always feel like he is uncomfortable when all kinds of praise is heaped on him and this whole half hour was about that. So I did think that this was not entirely comfortable for him...but I thought the hostess did such a good job of talking to Clay being just fangirly enough that it didn't feel like a hard sell and he relaxed later on.

I also don't expect perfection from Clay when he sings songs for the first time. I know he had two cracks last night but I thought that was live TV and watching those shows like AI, DWTS that has guest performers and you get used to artist sounding really bad live that those two cracks were actually easy to ignore. What impressed me was how complex the songs were and how stylistically varied and that Clay was using all kinds of different vocal techniques for them. We got the usual ballad Clay then he was soulful Clay, he was jazzy torch song Clay, pop Clay and angtsy emotional Clay...that was an amazing thing for him to do and being the first time he did it I thought he was really impressive. I really think that people who haven't seen Clay for some time would be very impressed. I bet he made some new fans from that appearance.

I always expect Clay to be more reserved on TV compared to his concert performances. I think the only time it came close was the Kimmel ATD performance and that was really like a mini concert.I think having the TV camera's in his face and around him inhibits him somewhat. That is why I would love for one of his concert shows to be filmed and put on DVD or a special cos the energy level is just so much higher.

I don't think 12000 units sold is bad AT ALL. I do think it met QVC's goal since they sold out of their initial order and in just 30 minutes. I do believe that if he had the hour he could've sold double that amount. I suppose the disappointment that some feel may come from high expectations, some fans thought Clay could outsell Barry. I never believed that was possible because Barry is an international star that has sold millions of CD worldwide...he is a 40 year veteran artist that has a tons of fans all ove the world. Clay hasn;t had that much national exposure in the past 5 years...and 12000 in 30 minutes is really very good. I am sure he is going to sell much more than that on line too. I just wish they would broadcast it again even if its in the early hours of the morning.

Was this posted here?

I was thinking this might have a little bit to do with Clay being "off his game" a bit.

I thought it was wonderful, but I did notice he seemed tired. (Who wouldn't with his recent schedule?!)

I imagine he's going to have a major adjustment to face. After all, he's spent the last 5 months surrounded by people who really like, respect, and, apparently, Love him!

Now he's going back into the real world in which people may only listen to a few sound bytes, read a brief bio and, in short, don't really give a crap about him!

Scary thought!

from CV

I posted this on another board where I use all caps for vision issues. Mods--please change for me. I don't know how and it is too long to rewrite.

Recap---

I AM HOME AND I AM EXHAUSTED. I MEAN BEAT.

MY NEPHEW DONE GOOD TODAY. HE TOLD ME TO MEET HIM AT QVC AT 2:45. i HAD NO REAL IDEA WHY, BUT I DO KNOW THAT THE GUY WHO WAS SLATED TO INTERVIEW CLAY IS MY NEPHEW'S BEST FRIEND.

WELL, THE QVC EMPLOYEES WERE INVITED TO THE ATRIUM IN THE CENTER OF THE COMPLEX TO HAVE AN UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH CLAY. NOT AS PERSONAL AS THEY THOUGHT, BUT I KNEW BETTER. JEROME AIN'T HAVING A WHOLE LOT OF FOLKS GOING AT CLAY. WHAT THEY WERE TOLD TO DO WAS SUBMIT ALL OF THEIR QUESTIONS TO THIS GUY AND HE WOULD ASK THEM. WELL, WE WERE RIGHT THERE. NO MORE THAN 8 FEET FROM CLAY. HE LOOKED F*CKING GORGEOUS. I MEAN PERFECT. PERFECT CLOTHES. PERFECT HAIR. PERFECT BODY. PERFECT. THE QUESTIONS WERE THE STUPIDEST I HAVE EVER HEARD. LIKE WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN ASKED 5 YEARS AGO. HE WAS AS GRACIOUS AS HE COULD BE AND TRIED TO BE FUNNY, BUT IT WAS NOT EASY. AT ONE POINT THEY MENTIONED SPAMALOT AND HAD SOME CANNED SPAM. THAT WAS AS RECENT AS IT GOT. WHEN THEY DID MENTION SPAMALOT, I KIND OF GAVE A SILENT CLAP. CLAY SAW ME AND NODDED AND KIND OF SMILED. IT MADE MY DAY.

THE QUESTION AND ANSWER LASTED ABOUT HALF AN HOUR. MY NEPHEW'S FRIEND ASKED ME WHICH ONES WERE THE BEST TO BE PUT UP ON YOUTUBE. I WAS HONEST AND TOLD HIM-----NONE REALLY. THAT FANS ALREADY KNEW THE ANSWERS TO ALL OF THEM AND KNEW THEM YEARS AGO. BUT DO WHATEVER. HE SHOULD HAVE ASKED US WHAT TO ASK. THE WHOLE TIME THE CD WAS PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND. I COULDN'T HEAR THE WORDS BUT THE BEAT WAS GREAT AS WAS THE MELODIES.

JEROME WHISKED CLAY AWAY FOR A PHOTO OP AND SOME PR AND I IMAGINE REHEARSAL. MY NEPHEW'S FRIEND WAS AMAZED AT CLAY'S SECURITY. JEROME AIN'T LETTING ANYTHING HAPPEN TO CLAY. SOUND CHECKS. WE LEFT FOR A WHILE.

THE STUDIO IS VERY SMALL WITH LOTS OF CAMERAS, ETC. THE HOSTESS WAS LOVELY AND VERY GOOD. SHE TOLD US SHE FELL IN LOVE WITH The Real Me AND BEGGED CLAY TO SING IT. HE SAID IF HE HAD TIME.

AS FOR THE SHOW----I COULDN'T SEE HIS FACE. IT WASN'T THE SEAT. THE SEAT WAS GREAT, BUT IT IS MY VISION. I LOOKED AT THE MONITOR A LOT. HE SEEMED A LITTLE NERVOUS. AND VERY TIRED. I THINK THEY PUT HIM THROUGH THE MILL TODAY.

THE SOUND WASN'T THE BEST, BUT HE SANG HIS HEART OUT. I AM GOING TO LOVE THIS CD. ALL THE SONGS SEEM SOMEHOW DIFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH Everything I Don't Need. WE ALL CLAPPED TO THE WHOLE THING. IT WILL BE A KILLER IN CONCERT.

HE WAS SUPPOSED TO SIGN AFTER THE SHOW, BUT HE WAS AGAIN WHISKED AWAY BY JEROME. HE DID FINISH SINGING The Real Me. IT IS JUST GORGEOUS. A VERY SPECIAL SONG. I LOVE THE WAY HE SANG IT.

A LITTLE TOO MUCH MAKEUP BUT THAT ISN'T HIS FAULT. I LOVED EVERY SINGLE SECOND. THE ONLY SAD THING WAS WHEN HE SAID THAT THIS WAS THE ONLY TIME THEY ALL WOULD BE SUNG LIVE FOR A LONG TIME. I GUESS HE WILL SING ONE OR 2 IN PROMO, BUT WE GOT 5. SO SPECIAL.

IF I THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE, I WILL POST IT. I MUST CHECK MY EMAIL AND GET SOME SLEEP.

THIS MAN IS KILLING ME AND I LOVE HIM FOR IT.

ETA:

Ni-i-i-ice banner! Yum!