#31: The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man with the titanium balls - and the voice to back them up!
    • OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills
    • They are seeing what WE see ? a brilliant, intelligent, and genuinely funny and lovely man.
    • Clay Aiken, I love your mad talented, tender-hearted, freakin' Broadway star, soul!
    • I'm totally jonesing for Clay Aiken's voice right now. God! I need to be sedated.
    • I could listen to that Raleigh son rattle on all day long. He makes me smile.
    • The whole damn thing was perfect!

I really, really hope the fandom can not get caught up in the numbers this go around. I don't believe it, but I hope it. If he gets number one, I'll whoop it up like a mad-woman. If not, I'll whoop it up like a mad-woman anyway, cuz I'll have a new Clay CD to listen to, and I know that he's going to be around a long time. It would be nice if he had more visibility this week - but 'they' knew what his schedule was when they decided on May 6th, so once again I'm gonna have to trust that he (and they) know more than I do. He does have a pretty busy schedule during his sales debut week - so here's hoping. More than a #1 spot for week one, I wish for a top ten spot say.... the last week of June. Ya know?

(this post brought to you by hopes and wishes *g)

Yeah what Cindilu said......

It would be nice if he could maintain top 10 for awhile.

But - I almost feel like worrying about numbers and placements, etc. isn't kind of what he's about these days. I think he wants to sell well but more importantly put out a quality product - one that he can be proud of! And it sure seems like he's pretty darn proud of OMWH. I really want him to go platinum with this CD but it doesn't have to be in the first two weeks....(but it would be nice!)

Another broadcast from the "hopes and wishes" network...... :cryingwlaughter:

Oh parts of the fandom are already bitching again about the "lack of PR".

No AI or DWTS?

Well, maybe neither one wanted Clay!

No Today Show?

Isn't it highly unusual to do both the Today Show and GMA??

Etc., etc., etc.

You know, even if Clay's people were asking everyone they could think of, slots could be booked or maybe the shows just don't want him for whatever reason! Just because we think he's fabu doesn't mean everyone does!

Why can't this fandom ever just enjoy all the gifts we are given???

He's hot. He's mad talented. He has a new CD coming out. We should be happy!

Speaking of gifts from Clay, Clay's time in Spamalot will be over Sunday. Many FCAers will be there. Will we be partying after? If so where?

Or do you just don't want me to know??????? :cry4:

Number 1? Piffle. No PR? Piffle.

Clay_and_Jacques-_QVC.jpg

The guy doesn't look all that worried to me. I think I'll follow his example.

CG -- just follow the sounds of couchie sighing and you'll find the FCA party. *g*

Yep, he's cute, and studly, and handsome, and hip, and happy, and sexy, and GAAAHHHHH!!!!!

I think it's an amazing accomplishment to come in second after only two weeks of fundraising! Yay, Clay!

Okay - I've watched it again twice and want to make some comments. I think as beautiful as the songs were they're still a bit "raw!" I think as he performs them more "live" they're going to be absolutely incredible!!! NOW - this is not a criticism - just a comment!!! Clay is always so expressive when he sings and I just think he hasn't sung those songs from beginning to end very much...don't you do stuff over and over when recording but maybe not end to end?

Head nodding here....but I still loved him to pieces! That SMILE!!!!1!!1 Those killer EYES!!!!1!!!

LOVED it.

Wow, it took me forever to catch up. Anything going on? heee

This will get lost in all he fun but as LdyJ and Play told ya'll Clay is scheduled to sing The Prayer tomorrow at the Broadway Cares event. The show will be identical to the one today except Clay and of course tomorrow we will get the totals. I may not be on Jerome's list but I sure am on the Broadway Cares list. They had tables set out and about 4 people were passing out the tickets. Well when I said my name the guy supervising goes... oh you're going tomorrow BWAH. I'm like, uh yeah. Now I know why he looked at me so strangely because it is the exact same show. heee. He said my name was unusual. Whatever, just have my ticket ready tomorrow because I'll get to hear my boyfriend sing The Prayer along with my new girl crush. Hopefully there will be some clack taking fans there -- I saw cameras tonight and it wasn't a Clay crowd IMO... and 3 different people asked me if I had an extra ticket to sell. What I look like, a scalper? Anyway it was a great 2 1/2 hours of entertainment...A lot of it went over my head since I don't follow Broadway but there were a lot of shows represented. I'll scan the program when I get a chance if nobody else does.

my bolding....y'mean everyone there wasn't from the "Tomato" family??? :lilredani: Who knew??

Finally managed to get caught up after working this weekend through my usual Claytime. Another exciting week! Eeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

CG...WORD...

as I always said ...perspective.

We have to be realistic here...clay hasn't had a hit song in 5 years. Most shows like to book artist that are hot..Its been five years since he was the talk of the country...yet he has all these promo on all these shows. That is amazing and a testament to his personality and talent that he can still get such great bookings.

Also...what I am hoping and praying for...is that Clay will get at least one radio hit from this album...then he can probably get more bookings with the primetime shows this fall and even in the winter. There is still a lot of promo opportunities for this CD, it is not just for the opening week but hopefully they will bring out other singles that he can promote later on and when he starts to promote his Concert tour.

deleted - crabby me.

who needs a TV list - only fans, NJU find stuff when they find it. Who cares exactly what show he is on, NJU see what they see. I don't want to talk about this crap again. my scroll finger is pissed.

This was a great day for Clay, a great honor to be selected to represent his play and a great reception for Clay at least as much applause as more ornate or popular plays. Why can't we like celebrate for one fucking day?

IthinkI will go and whine about Paula some more or maybe vote for someone I don't like on idol to screw with them. And I will return to writing my extensive recap in word because I had one hell of a great day and so did Clay.

For weeks now I've been reading about how Clay HAS to go on AI7. I don't see it. They base the number of people watching that show - I think - on the number of votes. Well - Susie Q in Podunk, KA is sitting there for 2 hours hitting redial!!!!! (nothing against Kansas.....) I know it has a large audience but so does Leno and so does other shows he's booked for. I think it's wonderful that he always mentions he wouldn't have his start were it not for that show....but if I never see him on there again (unless he's a judge - bwaahahah!) it will be too soon. NONE of the judges have been polite to him in public or in the media and Ryan has been pretty crappy to him as well. And that's just all kinds of wrong! He's one of their most successful participants and sort of seems to get treated like an ugly red-headed stepchild!!!! Who knows what goes on behind the scenes, but I could do without another AI7 appearance. Personally. OH - and that is not an ugly redhead, or blonde, or strawberry blonde, or whatever he is now.

I think he's getting good gigs, good promo, and it will just keep building.

This was a great day for Clay, a great honor to be selected to represent his play and a great reception for Clay at least as much applause as more ornate or popular plays. Why can't we like celebrate for one fucking day?

IthinkI will go and whine about Paula some more or maybe vote for someone I don't like on idol to screw with them. And I will return to writing my extensive recap in word because I had one hell of a great day and so did Clay.

You go, Play! :clap:

I haven't caught up with everythign but if anyone needs a room in NYC for Saturday and Sunday night... PM me. We have space for one more. Annabear? A little birdie told me you might be interested.

That little birdie is helping me count my pennies right this very minute, Couchie! Should I or shouldn't I? That is THE question! Only for The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken.....

I would almost best the reason for Clay not being on AI is Clay; how many times has he said in the past couple of years that he is over AI...has moved on. As much as he appreciates them for giving him his start, I don't think wants to be tied to them forever. Personally, I am very happy to not see the American Idol Runner-Up tag attached to his name.

Not an AI fan, so it doesn't matter to me if he is on or not, DWTS also...I dislike the reality show genre so much that it is literally torture for me to have to sit through these shows to see Clay.

I am so looking forward to next couple of weeks and all the Clay appearances; going to be a fun time.

Kim

My hope this time is that "On My Way Here" by Clay Aiken is visible on the charts SOMEWHERE for a long, long time. I'm pretty much over caring whether he's number one that first week. He's been there before and it didn't turn out to be all that it's cracked up to be.

I'd much rather him sell like Carrie Underwood. Good lord, her first CD stayed in the top 20 forever, it seemed! Slow and steady wins the race and I actually see that is more like Clay's career path anyway.

Now...( :unsure: takes a big breath and looks around for frying pans and rotten tomatoes)...I'm going to say something that will most likely create some controversy, but then my middle name DOES begin with the letter 'c'...heh.

When I watched the QVC show, I was so very proud of Clay. He looked so handsome and grown up and classy. Beautiful and young and...a real presence. When the camera panned the audience, I found my joy somewhat diminished. I tried to squelch my reactions and just enjoy hearing him talk and sing...but then, when the caller identified herself by saying, "I'm one of your middle-aged fans," I wanted to either sob or scream. I actually put my face in my hands.

Clay jokes about his 'traveling' audience---those 'enthusiastic' Claymates that the host of whatever show he's on is bound to comment on, and he smiles and is so very gracious. And I KNOW he is thankful for his fans and all their support. I believe he 'loves' us in the way he should. He's appreciative and kind in his comments and so very generous with his time and his privacy and his talent. That counts for everything and I don't think he needs to give any more.

So I'm looking forward to the day that he's sitting on the couch or singing on a tv show, or performing on stage at a concert, or giving a speech at a charity function or appearing in a parade or being honored or...whatever---I'm so looking forward to a time when, during that appearance and the cameras pan the audience, I don't recognize one face in the front 20 rows.

Because if I don't see them, Clay won't either. And, his love and appreciation of his core fan base acknowledged, I cannot help but think that an audience full of unfamiliar faces would be welcome---at least from time to time.

Sometimes I wonder about all the angsting about promotion and PR and not enough appearances, etc., and the paradox of that traveling audience for whatever promotion he does have. How do the promos help expand his fanbase when it is the core fanbase that often scoop up the seats, the tickets, the signatures, the pictures? Of course, not everyone at any appearance is this group---there are always new and different people there. But who does Clay see when he looks out at a crowd---at the front of the crowd? Is there ever a time when he does NOT see familiar faces? Some might say that he would probably be upset or disappointed or would feel abandoned, etc., if he doesn't see the 'tried and true'. Others might even say, "But if we aren't there, how will he know we love him?" or "He won't be successful without us."

Of course, if the auditorium or the arena or the theater or the studio audience is filled with other people, I don't really think there's any need to worry.

Now here's where I might seem hypocritical. I love all the clack and am so very grateful for our intrepid, dependable clack gatherers. We wouldn't have all these wonderful pictures and videos of Clay---a veritable scrapbook of his career---unless some people made the trek repeatedly from here to there and I know that. I also know that I don't know the answer to the paradox.

I am sure, however, that were Clay to appear somewhere without advance publicity so that the usual rush to buy up the tickets couldn't happen, we wouldn't have to worry that he would fall on his face without the core, familiar fans filling the audience. I do know that this man is on a career path that has no limits, unless he chooses to impose them himself. I am certain that although he loves us and appreciates us, his future doesn't depend on US---whoever, whatever that US is. Maybe...for a little while right after the Anomaly in 2003, the US was instrumental in ensuring that he would have a CHANCE at a musical career. But now?

Clay has grown and matured and developed into not only an amazing vocalist and performer, but (I believe) a formidable businessman and savvy celebrity. Fame is his to enjoy, explore or excuse himself from--HIS choice, and he is more than capable of doing those things without US. Who knows? Maybe if some time passed with audiences filled with people not already familiar with Clay and recognized by Clay, the fanbase WOULD grow and branch out to include a wider demographic range---and it wouldn't even occur to someone to introduce herself as 'one of his middle aged fans'.

I'm not suggesting that I have adequately addressed all the issues, nor am I claiming to have considered all the possible flaws or omissions in my opinions. I haven't written drafts of this and haven't really edited it, so I know I'm asking for all kinds of retorts and indignant "Who do you think you are!?!?" reactions, but I've been feeling this way now for months and months and months and I just had to get it out.

Ultimately, I just want Clay Aiken to be able to enjoy his journey, to make choices that aren't overly influenced by the behavior or tendencies of a VERY small portion of his overall fan base, to continue to reach more and more people who can soak up the joy and special gift that his just 'being' gives to those lucky enough to 'know' him. And selfishly, I want him to be around a long, long time and continue to sing to meeeeeeeee!

So. :unsure: ...go for it...I can take it. :lilredani: I welcome any comments here.

(I would, however, appreciate it if this post is NOT taken elsewhere and ESPECIALLY hope that nobody takes only a piece of it out of context to another board...thanks.)

Gosh, I didn't mean anything "negative". Yes, I would like him to be #1 but I won't angst about it if he doesn't. Sorry, I just thought we could discuss it. Guess I'll go back to lurking. I did get a chuckle out this though...

And 2nd place rocks!!!!!!

:goodnight:

No tomatoes from me Muski, I feel the same way and had the same reaction to the audience. I was talking to a friend of mine after the show and we had the exact same conversation.

The fandom is always bitching about how the media always portrays Clay's fans has older woman, but wake-up and look around you at the next concert, that is exactly what the fanbase is made up of.

I would love to see younger fans in the audience; I know when he is on GMA, there will probably be the same people there that I have seen every single time he makes an appearance there.

I try not to worry about it though, because I really do think that Clay is destined for greatness and will leave his mark on this world, maybe not as the next Elvis...but as a great entertainer and humanitarian.

Kim

Well, I am not ashamed of being middle aged, I have grown and have developed a sophisiticated taste, ahd a varied and rather successful career. I am an adult and I am proud of it.

Anyways, as to why I am crabby, I just bought a bunch of shipping tubes and can't figure how to roll up the posters without bending them.. In desperation, I looked through my box collection and found.... shoe boxes. And they fit perfectly!!! with minimal rolling!!!! - so anyone expecting a poster and find a shoe box on their porch, don't step on it and try to crush it. I am not responsible for that kind of damage! Hah! shoe boxes.......hah!

No tomatoes from me, either. I had the same reaction when I saw the audience. The support from the usual fans is wonderful, but variety is the spice of life! And play, I don't think there's anything wrong with being a middle-aged woman. More power to us!

muski, the only thing I'll even slightly disagree with you about is the caller at QVC proudly stating that she was a "middle-aged" fan. I personally think that for the media to stop focusing on the fans ages so much, we should be proud of our ages, and show that we can have FUN with our fandom, no matter our age. I'm proud to be a "middle-aged" fan of Clay Aiken, so I didn't have much of a problem with her.

Having said that....the rest of your post? Pure genius. I remember one night a few years ago -- it was announced last-minute that Clay was going to be on Jimmy Kimmel. (I can't remember off the top of my head which appearance this was....) I posited on a board that I thought this would actually be good -- having the seats filled with non-Clay fans, in order to win them over. I think I still have the bite marks on my head where it was bitten off. It really made me sad to realize that a few of these fans had to see Clay every.single.time.

I truly do believe that Clay will expand his fanbase, and better yet, he'll do it on his own terms. In a way, it's truly a mother-child relationship here, I feel. It seems that a few just don't want to let him out of their grasp, as if he'll fail if they aren't there to prop him up. IMO, it's time to let the "child" grow up, and give him the freedom work his magic on so many other people in the world who have no idea who Clay Aiken even IS.

Ultimately, I just want Clay Aiken to be able to enjoy his journey, to make choices that aren't overly influenced by the behavior or tendencies of a VERY small portion of his overall fan base, to continue to reach more and more people who can soak up the joy and special gift that his just 'being' gives to those lucky enough to 'know' him. And selfishly, I want him to be around a long, long time and continue to sing to meeeeeeeee!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

No tomatoes from me either Muski. I've told this story before but I think it might bear repeating. My best friend went with me to the skating show in Vegas. She's a "casual" Clay fan.....likes him but isn't on the boards, would never be on the boards, etc. She was appalled at the behavior of a group of older women - acting like teenagers, gushing over Clay, and being very loud about it, calling him boyfriend, saying how hot he looked, etc. Other people were staring. I could feel my face getting red as my friend looked at me and with disgust said "Oh Good Lord! Those women have clothes older than Clay!" It was really, really embarassing. And even though I probably shouldn't, I felt guilty by association. When someone asks me if I'm a Claymate I say no, I'm one of Clay's fans!!!! Don't like the connotation anymore.

Unfortunately - or fortunately - however you look at it, women of coughourcough age have discretionary money that teenagers and alot of women in their twenties don't have. Those are the ones who have front row seats at tens of concerts. Those are the ones who fan fly across country to see GMA or Kimmel (depending on which coast you live on) I know of someone who's probably been to over 20 Spamalot shows (not FBM and that crowd or the McVargas girls) As much as I love Clay and as much as I enjoyed Spam - I can't imagine seeing it 20 times!!! So it's a blessing and a burden to Clay - the blessing is he has that kind of support, whether it's for an appearance or a charity he supports. The burden is as time goes on some of these people are losing sight of a sense of decency and decorum.

None of that would be excessive (can't tell people how to spend their money) if the behavior wasn't so OTT. It's one thing to gush on the internet but an entirely different thing to do it out in public among a bunch of NJUs. And inevitably that attracts media attention.

The good news is there ARE many younger people who are big fans of Clay's.

I don't have an answer for this. I will fly wherever whenever for whatever if I can afford it - that usually means a couple of days and no more. I did the 4-fer in CA last year because I could drive there.

Muski...WORD. Although I am really not just thinking about wanting the age group to be younger...but just to have some new blood in. That is why I get so thrilled to meet new fans like Claytonic and KF who were not around from the beginning.

That is why I was pretty thrilled that in a show that had mostly Broadway insiders in the audience and very few Clay fans...clay got a great reaction this afternoon.

deleted - crabby me.

who needs a TV list - only fans, NJU find stuff when they find it. Who cares exactly what show he is on, NJU see what they see. I don't want to talk about this crap again. my scroll finger is pissed.

Yup...it was a great day and it hs been great 4 months!!!! I am also anticipating some great times ahead.

I would almost best the reason for Clay not being on AI is Clay; how many times has he said in the past couple of years that he is over AI...has moved on. As much as he appreciates them for giving him his start, I don't think wants to be tied to them forever. Personally, I am very happy to not see the American Idol Runner-Up tag attached to his name.

Not an AI fan, so it doesn't matter to me if he is on or not, DWTS also...I dislike the reality show genre so much that it is literally torture for me to have to sit through these shows to see Clay.

I am so looking forward to next couple of weeks and all the Clay appearances; going to be a fun time.

Kim

WORD...I really think it was his choice not to use AI as a promo vehicle.

Gosh, I didn't mean anything "negative". Yes, I would like him to be #1 but I won't angst about it if he doesn't. Sorry, I just thought we could discuss it. Guess I'll go back to lurking. I did get a chuckle out this though...

And 2nd place rocks!!!!!!

:goodnight:

Aww pkmiller...didn't mean to make you think you were being negative. I think I am just personally really allergic to too much angst in the fandom. The reality is..it is really tough to predict how well Clay will do compared to other artists, because there are just so many factors now specially with digital download being a big thing. I also think its getting tough to judge Clay's audience. That is why I just try not to think about where he will end up in the charts.

From Ms. Marmlade at CH:

From Tivo Listings:

The Insider

Next showing: 'Sex and the City'; Clay Aiken

Female stars of "Sex and the City"; singer Clay Aiken.

Fri 5/2 7:00 PM

The View

Next showing: Patrick Stewart; Clay Aiken

The Adventures by Disney grand-prize winner is announced; actor Patrick Stewart (Broadway's "Macbeth"); Clay Aiken performs.

Thu 5/8 11:00 AM

Entertainment Tonight

Next showing: 'Sex and the City'; Paula Abdul

"Sex and the City" actresses; Paula Abdul ("American Idol"); singer Clay Aiken.

Fri 5/2 7:30 PM

Only The Insider is new but there's a bit more detail about some of the others on the shows.

Unfortunately - or fortunately - however you look at it, women of coughourcough age have discretionary money that teenagers and alot of women in their twenties don't have. Those are the ones who have front row seats at tens of concerts. Those are the ones who fan fly across country to see GMA or Kimmel (depending on which coast you live on) I know of someone who's probably been to over 20 Spamalot shows (not FBM and that crowd or the McVargas girls) As much as I love Clay and as much as I enjoyed Spam - I can't imagine seeing it 20 times!!! So it's a blessing and a burden to Clay - the blessing is he has that kind of support, whether it's for an appearance or a charity he supports. The burden is as time goes on some of these people are losing sight of a sense of decency and decorum.

None of that would be excessive (can't tell people how to spend their money) if the behavior wasn't so OTT. It's one thing to gush on the internet but an entirely different thing to do it out in public among a bunch of NJUs. And inevitably that attracts media attention.

Great post, Iseeme! And I think what we have here is - the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The OTT fans you posted about got a lot of attention. But I was in Vegas, too, and saw LOTS of fans our age who weren't OTT, who were simply there to support Clay and have a good time. It's the few OTT fans that get the attention, but most of Clay's middle-aged fans aren't OTT.

And, there are people who have been to 20+ Spamalot shows who aren't OTT, either. People who enjoy seeing as much of Clay as possible, and behave themselves and use proper etiquette. People who are willing to share good tickets, and who are kind to other fans. So I want to make sure that we don't paint repeat Spam or repeat concert goers with a broad, negative brush. I'm sure that wasn't your intention; I did see that you said 'some'.

I really am torned about this whole issue. As much as I agree with Muski...I also don't think the fans can do anything about it. If Clay wants to change things change his audience...its really up to him to do it. If he wants to court a younger audience it will have to start with his product...with his promo strategy. From the snippets we heard...I think he has several tracks that can follow OMWH that would fit a younger demographics. If he brings one of them out and tries harder with radio...then he could expand the fanbase into younger demographic but I think it will be hard to penetrate the under 20 market.

The View

Next showing: Patrick Stewart; Clay Aiken

The Adventures by Disney grand-prize winner is announced; actor Patrick Stewart (Broadway's "Macbeth"); Clay Aiken performs.

Thu 5/8 11:00 AM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Fandoms collide! Star Trek and Clay in the same show! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!