#31: The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man with the titanium balls - and the voice to back them up!
    • OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills
    • They are seeing what WE see ? a brilliant, intelligent, and genuinely funny and lovely man.
    • Clay Aiken, I love your mad talented, tender-hearted, freakin' Broadway star, soul!
    • I'm totally jonesing for Clay Aiken's voice right now. God! I need to be sedated.
    • I could listen to that Raleigh son rattle on all day long. He makes me smile.
    • The whole damn thing was perfect!

I agree, ldyj. The voice is awesome, but then there's so much more. :flirtysmile3:

"How do you feel about soy sauce?"

"I like soy sauce. Why? Is there a controversy?"

:blink:

BWAH! :cryingwlaughter:

Holy shit. These two are a freakin' riot! Mo was is? a regular on Jon Stewart's show. I want Clay on The Daily Show, demmit! :clap: I can't stop watching this interview...so many things to 'notice'--

-Clay totally obliterated that red slushy drink with the paper umbrella in it

-he almost dropped the edamame pod and then sneakily slipped it back into the cup

-he started to use the chopsticks, one in each hand

-he ran his fingers through that hair (GAH)

-he seemed totally enthralled with the egg in the hat

-he accused his fans of not being good with phone use since not enough of them voted for him on Idol! BWAH!

-he defended all Georgian dirt-eaters!

The list goes on! I wish the entire dinner together could be shown.... :clap:

But really, words like"frailty" are not words you expect to hear men use when describing their feelings.

Maybe not expect to hear from a man, but a man bearing his soul, a man in a vulnerable state who is honest with his feelings - yup, I think a man would and could use a word like "frailty". This is a very vulnerable song and I think it could be sung by a man or woman.

Of course, not a man who thinks being macho means being a man, but thankfully Clay isn't that kind of man.

Men by nature may not be as in touch with their feelings as most women, but even the toughest of men cry, even the toughest of men must at times feel frail.

Maybe because I never heard a woman - or anyone else - sing this song makes it easier for me, but I never thought of it as a woman's song.

Personally, I LOVE a man who is more open with his emotions and more willing to admit his vulnerability. To me, that is sexy.

Clay is sexy.

have to go back and read so i can catch up, but on this page, wanted to agree on clay being sexy, intelligent, funny, and sings good. did i get all of it?

also want to agree on wanting to see clay on the daily show or colbert. those would be some awesome interviews.

But really, words like"frailty" are not words you expect to hear men use when describing their feelings. The lyrics are more femine in nature, to me. I have tried but I just can't get into this song. Even though Clay sings it purdy............

When I think of someone being emotionally frail, I can think of just as many, or more, men as women who fit that category. And it's usually the more macho types who really are creampuffs. The number of men I've known who open up with women, but never discuss anything personal with other men could fill a big city phonebook.

The phrase "not words you expect to hear men use when describing their feelings" struck me because I was married to this one dude for 14 years and he never once described his feelings. I seriously questioned whether he had any. And in the end, he banned Elton John records from our home. That wasn't smart. Me and Elton John found a new place to stay.

I think one of the things about Clay that attracts so many women is that he is openly vulnerable. Women love that in a man -- and so many men think we're looking for a cold, tough guy. Maybe once, just for that life lesson on my way here.

Ta-ta. I'll be gone til about midnight again. Graduation can't come soon enough.

I think my favorite part of the Today show clip is when he laughed that adorable laugh of his...and both Kathy Lee and Hannah (isn't that her name?) picked up on it, and seemingly thought it adorable too. Love, love, love it.

Actually, I got the impression they thought his laugh was "wicked" -- not sweet or adorable!

I thought she meant with a cackle like that, he should appear in "Wicked" next?

Clayzor, I don't think the word "frailty" is necessarily evocative of femininity as it is a rather old-fashioned word, not commonly used about either gender. It's mostly a poetic term, used most often in my experience with the word "human", as in human frailty. I think a heck of a whole lot of men are going to identify with this song more than they want to admit...because it is a terrible strain for some men to hide all signs of weakness...and a great deal of social pressure on them to do just that. It's okay if you don't get into that song, though...Plenty of others to like, eh?

so many men think we're looking for a cold, tough guy. Maybe once, just for that life lesson on my way here.

keepingfaith.. :F_05BL17blowkiss: Ain't that the truth. Sometimes I'm just sitting around at home and I look over at my hubby and thank the stars I had enough sense to accept a NICE man's love. It's certainly fact that before him I seemed to NEED the approval of men who were more 'macho' or 'cool' or 'hawt' in the stereotypical ways, which usually included being tough and aloof... My hubby cries during "Ghost Whisperer", for god's sake! My kids give him all kinds of grief about that (My teenager has a pet name for him---NancyBoy! BWAH!), but.... :wub:

BTW...I've pretty much been listening nonstop to this cd since I opened the freakin' package (heh) and I'm not even BEGINNING to tire of any of the songs. It rocks.

Just saw this posted at the CH.

Nice! Despite the Claymate mention.....

Billboard single review

On My Way Here

CLAY AIKEN

Producer(s): Kipper

Genre: AC

Label: RCA

Clay Aiken readily admits that despite massive retail and touring success, radio has never been a particularly tight ally. So he recorded "On My Way Here," his first new album of original material in five years, with an eye on simply finding songs that fit him—and lo and behold, the title track could well be one that AC radio embraces. First, it's co-written by OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder, who has worked with Leona Lewis, Natasha Bedingfield and dozens of other hitmakers. Second, the lyric offers that rare message you actually listen to: "I've seen the best, the worst/I wouldn't change what I've been through/I've touched the sky, hit the wall, but did what I had to/On my way here." Aiken was so moved by this song that it locked in an album theme about growing up and lessons learned. The singer might be accused of excess bravado in the past, but here, he delivers a restrained performance, still ever-emotive. Claymates—who proved tenacity by supporting en masse his just-wrapped Broadway run in "Spamalot"—will be reduced to tears, but even those who have dismissed Aiken in the past will find this "Way" convincing. —Chuck Taylor

The Other Door: Kansas City Star's American Idol Blog

Clay Aiken: No Desire to Watch Idol

May 09, 2008

Clay Aiken: No desire to watch 'Idol'

Five years ago this month Clay Aiken became one of mainstream television’s most famous runners-up when he finished second to Reuben Studdard in Season 2 of “American Idol.”

Since then, Aiken has parlayed his “loss” into profitable success and mainstream popularity. You could say he’s gone from “American Idol” to Eric Idle. In January he joined the cast of the Broadway musical “Monty Python’s Spamalot,” playing several roles, including Sir Robin (the role played by Idle in the film “Monty Python and the Holy Grail”).

From New York recently, as he was getting his hair cut, Aiken, 29, talked to The Star about his Broadway show and his new album, “On My Way Here,” which is due in stores today was released Tuesday.

What did you know about Monty Python before you took this role?

Nothing. I thought “Spamalot” was about unwanted e-mails. The first time I saw the musical, I was like, “Uh, really?” I mean, it’s not like “Wicked” or anything like that. It’s completely different. The second time I saw it I laughed so hard …

Why Sir Robin?

It’s the character they suggested, probably because there are so many similarities. He’s afraid of everything. He’s a bit of a chicken.

Talk about what you wanted to accomplish when you went into the studio to record the new album.

We’ve wanted to do an album of original material because it has been five years now since the last one. That was the goal: to do songs that could become ours. A majority of the process came down to finding songs that fit me more than songs that pushed me to be something. On the last album we spent a lot of time trying to put square pegs in round holes.

Why did you settle on Kipper (Marc Eldridge) as your producer?

We decided we wanted just one producer so that sonically there would be continuity across the board. For me it’s about finding someone with the personality and the vibe that I can work with. So Kipper and I met, and In addition to being very talented he’s just one of the easiest people to work with. He’s very fun and laid-back. When you have to be in the studio with someone for hours every day, it makes it a lot easier. Plus he’s got skills.

Did he help you find songs?

Yes. We all found songs. These are more eclectic than anything I’ve done. I could pretty much tell right away whether one was going to work. It might have been a great song, but if it didn’t fit my voice or if it wasn’t believable for me to sing it, we didn’t use it. We wanted organic stuff, songs that allowed me to sing the best I know how.

Is there a theme to this album?

We found the song “On My Way Here,” written by Ryan Tedder of One Republic. It’s a song about the kinds of things people learn that make them who they are. Once we had that song, We wanted the entire album to wrap around that theme, to speak to a situation that I had been through or that people go through in their 20s when they’re trying to find themselves. So we spent a lot of time first looking at lyrics, then focusing on the sonic aspects and the melodies.

What will listeners notice about this album that is so different from your other albums?

I hope it’s the lyrics. The songs are more like me. I hope it sounds less like I’m trying real hard.

Is the production radically different?

I’m an idiot when it comes to that stuff. I’m not going to lie to you. I left it all up to the producer. I might say, “I really love that guitar sound; can you pull that up in the mix?” But it has ballads with orchestras and some rock stuff, like what Kelly (Clarkson) did on her second album. We cover the entire field.

Is a tour in the works?

I finish “Spamalot” on May 4, right before the album comes out. But I haven’t had two days off in a row since October. It would be impossible to put out the album and then tour next month. So I’ll take some time off. Who knows, maybe through the end of the year. I’ll probably tour for UNICEF this summer, but I’m looking forward to sitting down and sitting still and not doing things like getting my haircut while I’m doing an interview.”, which is what I’m doing right now.

Have you been watching “Idol”?

The last time I watched was the season Carrie Underwood won. I haven’t had the time, nor have I had the desire. It’s a different show now.

yup that is a refreshing change with regards to reviews...

You tell me you're here for forever

But act like you're passin' through...

I see you lying beside me

But I feel you're movin' on...

gah...and :cry4: and :wub:

I fuckin' LOVE Sacrificial Love...I swear, he really, REALLY sings this with...REAL connection, emotion...gah....oh.

I was good for the moment

But now something's gone from your kiss....

My heart breaks....

Muski I have been in love with Sacrificial love since the beginning...I got teary eyed on this more than TRM...but of course TRM got me the other day too.

Oh I have been pretty non stop with this CD too. But I added a few songs on my OMWH playlist...lonely No More, TRD and The Prayer duet. I initially put Back for more too, but it really didn;t fit for me. I really didn;t like it like the others so I will be taking it out. I really think TRD fits this CD...wish we had a recorded version and Lonely No More too.

But really, words like"frailty" are not words you expect to hear men use when describing their feelings.

Maybe not expect to hear from a man, but a man bearing his soul, a man in a vulnerable state who is honest with his feelings - yup, I think a man would and could use a word like "frailty". This is a very vulnerable song and I think it could be sung by a man or woman.

Of course, not a man who thinks being macho means being a man, but thankfully Clay isn't that kind of man.

Men by nature may not be as in touch with their feelings as most women, but even the toughest of men cry, even the toughest of men must at times feel frail.

Maybe because I never heard a woman - or anyone else - sing this song makes it easier for me, but I never thought of it as a woman's song.

Personally, I LOVE a man who is more open with his emotions and more willing to admit his vulnerability. To me, that is sexy.

Clay is sexy.

WORD!!!! AMEN!!!

But really, words like"frailty" are not words you expect to hear men use when describing their feelings. The lyrics are more femine in nature, to me. I have tried but I just can't get into this song. Even though Clay sings it purdy............

When I think of someone being emotionally frail, I can think of just as many, or more, men as women who fit that category. And it's usually the more macho types who really are creampuffs. The number of men I've known who open up with women, but never discuss anything personal with other men could fill a big city phonebook.

The phrase "not words you expect to hear men use when describing their feelings" struck me because I was married to this one dude for 14 years and he never once described his feelings. I seriously questioned whether he had any. And in the end, he banned Elton John records from our home. That wasn't smart. Me and Elton John found a new place to stay.

I think one of the things about Clay that attracts so many women is that he is openly vulnerable. Women love that in a man -- and so many men think we're looking for a cold, tough guy. Maybe once, just for that life lesson on my way here.

Ta-ta. I'll be gone til about midnight again. Graduation can't come soon enough.

I think my favorite part of the Today show clip is when he laughed that adorable laugh of his...and both Kathy Lee and Hannah (isn't that her name?) picked up on it, and seemingly thought it adorable too. Love, love, love it.

Actually, I got the impression they thought his laugh was "wicked" -- not sweet or adorable!

I thought she meant with a cackle like that, he should appear in "Wicked" next?

Clayzor, I don't think the word "frailty" is necessarily evocative of femininity as it is a rather old-fashioned word, not commonly used about either gender. It's mostly a poetic term, used most often in my experience with the word "human", as in human frailty. I think a heck of a whole lot of men are going to identify with this song more than they want to admit...because it is a terrible strain for some men to hide all signs of weakness...and a great deal of social pressure on them to do just that. It's okay if you don't get into that song, though...Plenty of others to like, eh?

Another WORD on the Frailty issue...I actually love the use of this word and specially how he went falsetto...gah it truly gave me goose bumps the other day. Yeah I think they were amused with his laugh and teased him that it would fit on Wicked.

so many men think we're looking for a cold, tough guy. Maybe once, just for that life lesson on my way here.

keepingfaith.. :F_05BL17blowkiss: Ain't that the truth. Sometimes I'm just sitting around at home and I look over at my hubby and thank the stars I had enough sense to accept a NICE man's love. It's certainly fact that before him I seemed to NEED the approval of men who were more 'macho' or 'cool' or 'hawt' in the stereotypical ways, which usually included being tough and aloof... My hubby cries during "Ghost Whisperer", for god's sake! My kids give him all kinds of grief about that (My teenager has a pet name for him---NancyBoy! BWAH!), but.... :wub:

BTW...I've pretty much been listening nonstop to this cd since I opened the freakin' package (heh) and I'm not even BEGINNING to tire of any of the songs. It rocks.

Aww sounds like your Hubby and Clay can be good buddies.

Hey I remember where I saw this Mo ROcca...he goes on Iron Chef america sometimes as a judge. He is very cute there too. I bet he left impressed with Clay and wow ...that must have been a refreshing change for Clay too.

So, I'm noticing a disturbing trend here....

This thread title refers to Clay's butt. The next looks like it will include his balls. I a little skeered that the one after that might end up being NSFW...

:yow:

This thread title refers to Clay's butt. The next looks like it will include his balls. I a little skeered that the one after that might end up being NSFW...

Ok, I protest! NSFW is not in the glossary up there ^ (and I am clueless, sorry) but your post did remind me of the lyrics to Brave Sir Robin...

His head smashed in

And his heart cut out

And his liver removed

And his bowls unplugged

And his nostrils raped

And his bottom burnt off

And his pen--

Ah...but we could always use my "Clankclankclank...Oh, Hi Clay!" instead of actually SAYING 'titanium balls'.... :cryingwlaughter:

Ah...almost time to board the bus and head home. I'm reading this novel I got in the library---it's...er, rather racy...yeah, it has a storyline and the writing's not bad and it has sex.

ohyesitdoes.

And this particular author does NOT mince words for certain body parts and desires and...whatnot.

Whoa. It's quite erotic...odd reading for a ride on a city bus, fo' sho' :unsure:

On another note...it's a gorgeous day here today and I'm hoping it lasts through the weekend--softball tomorrow and soccer Sunday! And I get to go with Alex to a bridal shop to try on a dress for her debut as a bridesmaid in late August in her cousin's wedding! Should be fun...

since she doesn't have to worry about being able to fit easily into the styles... <_< I was a bridesmaid in five weddings and I sang in two others and in all cases I was so self conscious because I had to fit into styles that were obviously meant for...uh....

Women with good figures.

Oh wow! (O/T - do you think we'll every get the Spam-isms out of our vocabulary again??? They have taken over my brain!)

That Mo Rocca interview was hilarious! I don't think Clay cared much for the pea-pod thingies. BWAH!! And we travel in packs and have the same cycles by now? OMFG! Gives new meaning to the old 'He So Knows' thing. That one is a keeper for sure. Must go watch again! I want to do have dinner with Clay, damnit!

Been gone all day but someone called me and told me about the Benihana interview. That is quite possibly the best and definitely my most favorite EVER. But - hello! Sweetie was eating SHRIMP!!! I thought he was allergic to shellfish! Verra Verra cute!!!! The edamame piece was hysterical. The piece he threw back in .............eBay gold!

I love The Real Me. I think the lyrics are beautiful and not female-specific. I relate the words to alot of what Clay has gone through....I particularly love the words "how much will they take before I'm empty!" People always want too much from him......and many of his fans are never satisfied with what they do get!

Still haven't seen the Today bit - I guess we don't get that particular hour in the sticks here,

Back from seminar, totally exhausted and then I find that Clay is busting out all over...clack, clack and more clack!

Watched The Today Show...Clay looked fabu...great interview but a little too much AI and I loved that they showed him singing in the studio.

Benihana Clay :cryingwlaughter:

Off to watch Mr. Ambassador.

Kim

People people people....

...he did NOT throw the edamame pod back into the glass. If you watch carefully, the blue glass NEXT the full glass is for the skins. Mo throws stuff in there too.

Sheesh. I thought Clay Aiken fans had better observation skills than that. I mean really...they can find Waldo ANYWHERE.

Of course, that's generally not too hard...heh, I said "hard."