OMWH Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

Muski, I think the chips could work sonically

BWAH!!!

You all know I'm not a lyric person. But this one? Man, with some of the rough stuff I've had to go through in the past year with my job....these lyrics hit home. Mad me cry the first time I heard it -- it really is inspirational to me, that I have to not be afraid, and take the risks to get something out of life.

I found that standing still can quickly make a lifetime disappear

I can relate to that....

Just for the first time heard my favorite finger-clicks behind the chorus. Love the finger-clicks but hadn't noticed them before.

finger clicks???

Strings? less is more, for me

yup I agree...but I;ve made peace with that on this piece. I kinda forget if the do away with it completely on the live performance...must be...or they have backtracks...but I doubt.

I think live he compensates by more background vocals.

To confess my ignorance - the only musical instrument I can recognize for sure is the drum and I think the piano. I have no idea what are the strings.

For some reason, OMWH just screams "movie soundtrack" to me...

Love the second verse, but he hasn't been singing this one in the promo spots, correct?

Yeah, makes me sad, I think that verse is killer.

muski -- another difference between you and me! I love the "wall of sound of strings." It just hits me in the gut....

The acoustic guitar is also very successful for me too!

I have to say, though, that there are a few too many overused images/analogies/cliches or whatever you want to call them - for my personal taste:

the best, the worst, touching the sky, hitting the wall, learning to fly, feeling pain making you know you’re alive, the light to the other side, it all works out in the end

I have a low tolerance for that sort of thing.

Still a beautiful song, though.

I think this is a great into to the album. It talks about... well, we know what it talks about. :cryingwlaughter: It's in Clay's middle range, so it is easy for him to sing. It's got good guitar and violins, often at the same time... LOL

I love the part about "I've learned to fly...you've got to want to leave the ground." Very true!

Not sure what we're supposed to do here, as this is my first listening party.

OMG I love the breathy "on my way here........" and the little instrumentation right before "my address changed almost every year". LOVE IT!!

At least whenever you feel pain it lets you know that you're alive........crimsonice (my 23 year old daughter) says that she is getting that for her next tatoo. Yeah, she has a few already. One is the state of North Carolina. ;)

Ansa, I think the "finger clicks" are just the drums, maybe electronically enhanced. And I think the strings have been there on the live performances....but done as synthesizer....

Gah, I love this performance.

I never noticed the finger clicks either.

And I am sad he hasn't been singing the second verse too. I LOVE the line "I've found that standing still can quickly make a lifetime disappear" and "Whenever you feel pain it lets you know that you're alive."

This song is almost like an anthem of survival.

OMWH has grown on me and I don't here the strings as much. I do like the guitar that is featured throughout. I don't find the lyrics cliched. And it is interesting to hear that for many of the reviewers that this is what they pick as the best of the songs on this album. Chuck Taylor's review of this single surprised me today.

The introduction to this song is beautiful with the spare piano and guitar duet. I like the tympani that gives the song a dramatic feeling at certain points. The finger snaps give it a jaunty feeling that mitigates the tendency for it to be too ballad-y. His voice is absolutely gorgeous. I really resonate with the lines:

I've found that standing still

Can quickly make a lifetime disappear

I'd rather try and fail

A thousand times denied

At least, whenever you feel pain

It lets you know that you're alive.

This is a song that is growing on me. I did NOT like it on first listen, and it is still pretty close to the bottom of my list. But, it's very ear wormy, and from the beginning it stuck in my mind and I would wake up singing it. I'm coming to like it more, rather than less.

I really love this first verse...I think its very common unfortunately ...family breaking up...

sniff

I like ...whenever you feel pain it lets you know you;ve been alive...very true

h

I guess the imagery/analogies/cliches work for me since I'm not a lyrics - simple, straightforward, understandable without any guessing or explanation - what he's talking about seems very precise to me.

I love the lushness of his voice...especially on faith had conquered fear...on my way here