OMWH Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

AWWW still my fave...or I should say one of my faves.

this really fits so much better with this CD than with ATDW...glad they did this...

Here we have his most personal song. Something he himself wrote

I am impressed with his lyrics. very simple, yet poignant and gets to the heart of the matter.

This made me cry the first time he sang it

This was written t years ago. I wonder if things in his life has changed.

I am also in love with the beautiful melody...one of Fosters best...IMO

then the production just ties it all together. With the gorgeous and simple instrumentations....wonderful

Lover All Alone fits so well on this album, and it's definitely one of the best songs on the album. I've always love the spare arrangement, the counterpoint between voice and instruments, the cello. The lyrics are so sad :cry4: and so poignant. It's not entirely hopeless, there's a teeny bit of hope, but mostly very sad.

Did I mention it's a sad song?

I'll never forget this song in Chautauqua with the rain pouring down.

I remember the first time I heard this song it moved me to tears - which doesn't happen often.

I so identify with the lyrics.

I think these lyrics are some of the most sophisticated on the CD and the simple arrangement works so well with them. This is someone sitting in a dark room alone and wondering if he ever will find real love. He knows he will survive, be ok, even happy but in his heart he is so lonely. He has so much love to give and he so desperately wants to share that love with someone - and to feel that kind of love in return.

But he still has hope. He still believes it will happen for him one day. That's the part I don't identify with.

He ended with this song. Any thoughts?

Well for a CD thats suppse to be so personal..the truth is he was singing other people's words...I think its great that he ended it with his OWN words.

and I think is actually the best of the bunch.

Well..... at the risk of projecting feelings onto Clay.... looking at the CD as a progression, a piece of art....

The CD is "On My Way Here." LAA is the here, where he gets to at the end. Where he is now. I hope not.

I wonder if this being last was a lyrical choice?

or - is it last because it's - well - not one of the Kipper ones? Not new?

Because Clay is the lyricist?

It's a curious question.

I can't really think about LAA.

I haven't listened to it in the same way as I've been steeping myself in the new ones.

I don't think Clay is lonely though.

I love that he picked the word Lonesome instead of lonely.

Different meaning.

And I do think it's hopeful. He believes there is a future for him - a waiting game.

Late to the party!

Re "Sacrificial Love":

I think it's interesting that from the title of the song and the short description he gave in one of the interviews about it, I had envisioned an entirely different kind of song- maybe a FU kind of song. But this is so personal and heartbreaking.

That's exactly what I thought, too. Wasn't expecting it, but love it. Makes me sad. :cry4:

Predictabiltiy is one of my charms!

KAndre thinks about demanding a sentimentality gene and then realizes she wouldn't know what the hell to do with it...

BWAH! :cryingwlaughter:

Reading backwards.......

This is still one of my favorite Clay songs ever. It is so still and solemn and gut-wrenchingly HONEST! Another one that makes me cry-STILL- no matter how many times I've heard it. (Yeah, I'm probably the world's biggest weenie- and I'm a Gemini- which doesn't fit at all :cryingwlaughter: )

I started writing out the phrases that kick me in the gut, but there are so many I'd be typing all night. Let's just say that I can relate to these feelings of emptiness and longing and wondering if love is out there.

Just an absolute gem of a song- I am very surprised that more of the reviews of the CD- such as they are- don't reference this song- not just for the amazing lyrics, but for the fact that on a semi-autobiographical album- this song IS HIS!

I'll admit, I wish I could see what y'all hear in this...

If Clay wasn't singing it, I wouldn't have listened to it more than once.

For me, it forcibly reminds me how his voice alone will make me listen to stuff...

I remember the first time I heard this song it moved me to tears - which doesn't happen often.

I think these lyrics are some of the most sophisticated on the CD and the simple arrangement works so well with them. This is someone sitting in a dark room alone and wondering if he ever will find real love. He knows he will survive, be ok, even happy but in his heart he is so lonely. He has so much love to give and he so desperately wants to share that love with someone - and to feel that kind of love in return.

But he still has hope. He still believes it will happen for him one day. That's the part I don't identify with.

Awww you are making me cry again!!!

Yeah its not really that its bitter...its just honest, introspective...and so insightful

pickung up the pieces I wonder if I build it up to watch it fall...

wow to actually think that...it usually takes a therapist to get someone to realize this.

Clay is one mature and self aware person...

This song is so beautiful! What interests me is that Clay wrote the lyrics yet very few of the reviewers have mentioned that or said anything about it. And, since most of them just had to slam Clay, his Claymates, and his cd, in that order, I guess they couldn't say anything bad about this one specifically cause the lyrics are brilliant. Some of the best on the cd.

There was almost always complete silence during the summer tour when he sang this song... and it was not just us at those concerts.

The production is much sparer than the rest of the cd and I actually love that contrast for this song. Gives it more interest to me.

Awww you are making me cry again!!!

Yeah its not really that its bitter...its just honest, introspective...and so insightful

pickung up the pieces I wonder if I build it up to watch it fall...

wow to actually think that...it usually takes a therapist to get someone to realize this.

Clay is one mature and self aware person...

Word to both of you.

Lover All Alone - I have adored this song from the first listen. Emotional, vulnerable, sensitive, without a touch of .... sentimentality (maybe I don't know what that word really means)

Awww. She does have a sentimental gene - no matter what she says!!

Well for a CD thats suppse to be so personal..the truth is he was singing other people's words...I think its great that he ended it with his OWN words.

and I think is actually the best of the bunch.

I like that!

Well..... at the risk of projecting feelings onto Clay.... looking at the CD as a progression, a piece of art....

The CD is "On My Way Here." LAA is the here, where he gets to at the end. Where he is now. I hope not.

See, sentimental yet again!!

Its a great song with complex lyrics. Clay needs to believe he can write. He may not ever become a prolific songwriter but the man can write lyrics. I hope he'll write more soon.

I remember an article in a teen mag way in the beginning where he said he asked his cousin what does if feel like to be in love. I got the feeling he hadn't expereinced what he thought love was at that time. Well five years later, has he yet?

"picking up the pieces makes me wonder if just build it up to watch it fall." He sings with just a bit of sing-song, very effective.

I think the cello love, at least for me, comes from the way his voice and the sound of the cello seem almost one.

I agree a beautiful melody.

As hard as love can be its harder still it seems to be a lover all alone without love.

A lover all alone without love.

Maybe I've convinced myself but I've been wrong all along.

Using "but" at the end instead of "and" seems like he has come to conclusion that he has been wrong. He has not experienced love.