OMWH Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

I love the way his voice softens a bit on fear. *chills*

The various reactions to this song--both within the fandom and from so-called music critics---really emphasize just how subjective music IS...we're all listening to the same song, but we hear different things and respond in different ways.

Ain't it grand? :lilredani:

The introduction to this song is beautiful with the spare piano and guitar duet. I like the tympani that gives the song a dramatic feeling at certain points. The finger snaps give it a jaunty feeling that mitigates the tendency for it to be too ballad-y. His voice is absolutely gorgeous. I really resonate with the lines:

I've found that standing still

Can quickly make a lifetime disappear

I'd rather try and fail

A thousand times denied

At least, whenever you feel pain

It lets you know that you're alive.

This is a song that is growing on me. I did NOT like it on first listen, and it is still pretty close to the bottom of my list. But, it's very ear wormy, and from the beginning it stuck in my mind and I would wake up singing it. I'm coming to like it more, rather than less.

Exactly! Me too! And yes, you can hear the "finger clicks" in the chorus just prior to "here" and "hard" especially.

Yay I made it. I know we've had the opportunity to listen to this one for a long while now but I really only heard it a couple of times before I downloaded the complete album the other day. I absolutely adore this song. It is the most "clay" if that makes any sense. Yet with it, his voice carresses me. You can really see the growth in his voice. The soft way he starts out. He hasn't always been able to do that well. And yeah it still reminds me of I Survived You but it also has a different vibe to it.

And it really is so meaninful. I can understand why it touched him so much that he made it the center of his album.

FAITH HAS CONQUERED FEAR on my way here: I'm not going to psychoanalyze Clay...but we know some of what he's gone through over the past five years. He's a strong man.

I will have absolutely nothing even remotely of musical substance to offer tonight. heee.

I'm late!

I'm not caught up with your commentary.

1 on my way here

I really see this as my DS’s life. The two split apart but 3 being okay especially!

I very much feels his and Clay’s being contemporaries on this one!

I love the stood up when I had to commitment line!

I LOVED LOVED LOVED it when we first heard it.

But I've been so trying to soak up the new ones I haven't listened to it as much this week!

He soars on it though!

The lines that speak to me more than any others:

I’ve seen the best, I’ve seen the worst

I wouldn’t change what I’ve been through

I’ve touched the sky, I’ve hit the wall

But I did what I had to

it says to me, I'm good with who I am and what I do and what I've done.

The lines that speak to me more than any others:

I’ve seen the best, I’ve seen the worst

I wouldn’t change what I’ve been through

I’ve touched the sky, I’ve hit the wall

But I did what I had to

it says to me, I'm good with who I am and what I do and what I've done.

YES! I love that!

And I think that is so true in Clay's case.

I guess the imagery/analogies/cliches work for me since I'm not a lyrics - simple, straightforward, understandable without any guessing or explanation - what he's talking about seems very precise to me.

I love the lushness of his voice...especially on faith had conquered fear...on my way here

Yup...I think its the easiet way to get your point across. I guess its not very cerebral...but I think thats why it is resonating with a lot of people.

2 ashes

The phrase “tested in the fire” comes to mind.

Lots of experiences teach us through heartache - whether it’s love or career - even though this talks about love - it could easily be - LIFE that getst tough and someone having faith in you or loving you gets you through it.

Driving guitar beat. It gets me moving in my seat.

I love the way he sings ‘You would not believe the way I used to be, so cold”!

This could easily be his new INVISIBLE if given the chance.

with all my heart....love how he sings heart

dream....how he goes up on dream...very fluid

Yes and yes!

Muski, I think the chips could work sonically

BWAH!!!

I can see how a lot of people could identify with this song.

The second verse, I can relate to, I went to 16 different schools growing up.

WOW!! For me, it's more recent--all the moving. I moved from NC to NY to NC to NY to NC to Japan to NC to Allentown to NC, from 1990 to 2006. It was exciting, but it was also hard to say goodbye over and over, and there were so many people and places I'd said goodbye to that it was hard to stay connected after I left. For a child, it must be so much harder.