OMWH Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

I first heard this one in my car -- and my first thought was "geez, another bad relationship song." Massive assumptions of course, but wow, there seems to be quite a few of those songs on this album, and it really makes me wonder.

Again, sonically a U2 vibe. That single piano line alone suggests the song "New Year's Day."

I love the drums on this one -- nice mix of a jazz influenced sound going into a pop/rock thing. I think Sean will do well with this in concert.

When I heard this one yesterday for the first time, my first reaction was WOW!!! There is vocal excellence on this song... he sings high, he sings low, he changes octaves at a single bound... LOL

Very complex to sing... a singer's song for sure. I LOVE the ending.

This one fits very well on the cd, but I sorta think they should have put it 12th and still put LAA last. I'm glad they pulled this one in as an extra. It's great!

I would say that this song was my least favorite on the cd. But today I found myself humming it all day. It has developed an ear worm.

I love the part : "maybe I should" and the line that came before it, that has the great beat.

more little catches in his voice. I like that.

And the driving instrumentation that comes in.

But I don't like the glory note. And the song seems awkward at points.

But it is growing on me.

\

WOOHOO. FLOVE this song, and I'm not really sure why. I think when it gets to the second verse, and the pace picks up, and it gets kind of frantic- almost like there needs to be all of this activity going on to get him to focus on something other than the person he is trying to forget.

Love the bridge- I'm just fine with you out of my liiiiiiiiiiffffffffffeeeeeee! Yeah baby- kick ass!

But then it ends so abruptly and you're left to wonder if it's all just bravado.

I can see what this was a bonus track - it's very odd rhythmically to me.

And that's why I find this one fascinating. I love rhythms that catch me off guard.

Reading the lyrics along with listening (thanks Cotton), I get a little more hope from this one. He's like "OK, I'm done with you, I can move on now."

Cold hearted bastard. *g*

This one has to have been produced by Kipper too. It has that same "sound." The piano is pretty, and the high instrumental sound in the background. It's a little jazzy, and we're back to that light drum touch.

Now, bam, we've got the guitar licks and louder drumming. But it doesn't really go there, quickly switches back to a lighter sound.

Clay's singing backup with the girls, I like that.

It's a nice song but doesn't move me like some of the others on the album.

Biiiiiiiig glory note.

Beat picks up and the song gets louder again towards the end.

Quiet, abrupt ending. "Forget I ever knew you." No instruments. Interesting.

I first heard this one in my car -- and my first thought was "geez, another bad relationship song."

Really.

I think this one is just redunant. There are better songs on the CD about sleepless nights and bad relationships.

And the glory note.... I won't say it. Are you here, Bookwhore?

It doesn't have a hook for me - much less an earworm.

But I do think it's a singer's song - if you can't sing, you better leave this one alone!

I'm not humming along to it - and I hum along to just about all of Clay's stuff.

I first heard this one in my car -- and my first thought was "geez, another bad relationship song." Massive assumptions of course, but wow, there seems to be quite a few of those songs on this album, and it really makes me wonder.

Well, all these songs are about his relationship with the label after ATDW, so .... well, you should have expected this!

I think this is the other side of Sacrificial love, the part where he decides pretending is over.

I find it difficult to sing pretty much all of the songs, there are lots of change ups and such

Not for a musically simple mind like mine

I would say that this song was my least favorite on the cd. But today I found myself humming it all day. It has developed an ear worm.

I love the part : "maybe I should" and the line that came before it, that has the great beat.

more little catches in his voice. I like that.

And the driving instrumentation that comes in.

But I don't like the glory note. And the song seems awkward at points.

But it is growing on me.

\

Yeah I thought that the glory note was on an awkward note...but then I started getting it...its supposed to be some kind of primal scream...he was trying to get her out of his head...so the discordant note became more effective for me.

I like the little catch in his voice in the end.

I am really amazed at the different layers the songs in this CD has.

But then it ends so abruptly and you're left to wonder if it's all just bravado.

Wow. I like that.

playbiller -- BWAH! How could I miss that this was actually a kiss off for RCA?

Again, sonically a U2 vibe. That single piano line alone suggests the song "New Year's Day."

I love the drums on this one -- nice mix of a jazz influenced sound going into a pop/rock thing. I think Sean will do well with this in concert.

When I first heard this I figured that the reason this wasn't on the regular album is because it another bad relationship song and that theme was taking over the album. Considering so many people are curious about his love life, such an emphasis is curious. i am thinking they didn't want to go there.

I still think this is about the crap in his mind - or maybe just mine.

Listen to those lyrics.....

He'll turn the page....

Something that gets me moving on again.....

I'll let this be over and done....

Maybe i should just walk away.....

Get on my feet and start again.....

Living life with no regrets, the best hasn't happened yet.....

Strikes me as a song about someone who has been beaten almost into submission, wondering if they can go one, even get out of bed, but then they say screw you, pick themselves up and go on and that the person who hurt them won't win.

When I heard this one yesterday for the first time, my first reaction was WOW!!! There is vocal excellence on this song... he sings high, he sings low, he changes octaves at a single bound... LOL

Very complex to sing... a singer's song for sure. I LOVE the ending.

This one fits very well on the cd, but I sorta think they should have put it 12th and still put LAA last. I'm glad they pulled this one in as an extra. It's great!

I was going to say that's one song I won't be singing along to. I do like the song and the complexity of the phrasing but it makes me feel a little anxious. I like it better than the muppets song though.

The glory note . . .

It's odd because it's dissonant!

Intention dissonance is a musical technique - or - feature or contrivance. (I'm having a hard time finding the right word!)

It's very hard to sing to a dissonant background.This just shows how good Clay actually is musically!

Not everyone can STAY ON THEIR NOTE when the accompaniment is going - in a sense - off key behind you!

It always resolves, but it's a bit uncomfortable during the dissonance.

I hope that makes some sense.

People who don't know music will tend to think the singer has made a mistake!

It doesn't have a hook for me - much less an earworm.

But I do think it's a singer's song - if you can't sing, you better leave this one alone!

I'm not humming along to it - and I hum along to just about all of Clay's stuff.

I think this was my problem with this at first.cos there was this part where it was just the repeat of these 5 to 6 notes...but I really like the beginning and when I really listened to the lyrics I started to like that part ...like its just driving the point home.