#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

You know, keepingfaith, I've always wondered about that Tues., May 6th 'deadline' that Clay says was self imposed. I wonder about the 'why' of that date? Especially given the reality of such lead time needed to get prime spots on television shows for promotion, etc. That would be an interesting tidbit of info to me.

So far I'm actually seeing reactions that suggest things like the QVC factor--15,000 that didn't exist this week. I also suggest that the core fan purchases (those pre orders and multiples for gift giving, etc.) that happen to help that first week showing and/or because fans are soooo excited to get it in their hands, help create that huge leap downward in sales for the second week.

Anyway...it's early yet in a cd sales cycle, IMO, and I don't even know shit about such things! :) I did pose a question elsewhere about radio spins and how the cds that appear in the chart above Clay' compare in radio exposure...Since I don't listen to any radio that would play Clay (when I actually listen at all), I have no idea what's happenin' out there in radio land.

ETA: oops...spoke too soon...I do see one post that they fear this sales report could mean that Clay may be dropped (I assume she's referring to 'by RCA'?)...All righty, then.

So anybody have an idea why Alvin and the Chipmunks would've sold more cds last week than Clay? :cryingwlaughter:

It's starting to get ugly out there....and I ain't talking about the weather!

I mean isn't talk about the label might drop him a teensy bit premature????

Thank goodness this board is sane!!!

So Clay had a drop of 81% this week - #22 with 17,336 sold.

Prepare for the sky to start falling!

I'm surprised the drop was so much and am sad that it was so. So now what? I'm just going to enjoy the album and hope they have something in the works to get this album heard. I think Clay is a survivor and smart so as with all things on this journey I look forward to seeing what comes next. He does have some options available to him. Sounds like a bunch of platitudes but really what else can I do but continue to support Clay as I always have and not have a heart attack over stuff I have no control over.

There have been some fan experts that didn't care if he got dropped by his label, so sure they were that someone else would snap him up right away. They "think" he has no promotion now? Anyway, be careful what you wished for comes to my mind right now. They should be happy at the thought, right?

You know, my mom has lived her life waiting for bad things to happen so that she can say, "See? I TOLD you things are shitty. I've been right all along." Self-fulfilling prophecy can be a good thing or a bad thing, just like every other thing, and as I'm sure we've all seen in our own lives, the same 'facts' experienced or interpreted by multiple people can be made to 'mean' different things. Looking for bad news? There it is. Hoping for good stuff? Well, maybe this week isn't the best measure, but don't give up.

I guess I just don't understand why people want RCA and Clay to part ways to the degree that they're even 'hoping' for a split (for whatever reason)? Clay has never indicated that he WANTS to separate (although I certainly acknowledge that he has no reason to ever tell US about that), although he HAS said specifically that he was happy for as long as RCA wants him, etc.

So...I'll give up on OMWH and go on to the next project only if Clay proclaims it's a lost cause and it's time to turn a page. In the meantime, I absolutely LOVE this cd. It's on continuous repeat play here at work and then I listen in my car. So thank you, Clay, for OMWH...it's beautiful.

"Why do we have to fight, why can't we spend our time...trying..."

So Clay had a drop of 81% this week - #22 with 17,336 sold.

Prepare for the sky to start falling!

I'm surprised the drop was so much and am sad that it was so. So now what? I'm just going to enjoy the album and hope they have something in the works to get this album heard. I think Clay is a survivor and smart so as with all things on this journey I look forward to seeing what comes next. He does have some options available to him. Sounds like a bunch of platitudes but really what else can I do but continue to support Clay as I always have and not have a heart attack over stuff I have no control over.

There have been some fan experts that didn't care if he got dropped by his label, so sure they were that someone else would snap him up right away. They "think" he has no promotion now? Anyway, be careful what you wished for comes to my mind right now. They should be happy at the thought, right?

:fca:

couchie, you are me. This drop actually hit me in the gut pretty hard, and feeling like that is so not me. But I know that there is faith in Clay's talent out there (via you wonderful people at FCA), and I will keep my chin up high, the best that I can. At least my knowledge that I can't control his career will help me.

I seriously do not think he'll be dropped any time soon, but the thought of "the grass is always greener on the other side" is something that I've thought of for the past two years or so.

OTOH...I think pretties are in order. I know this makes me feel better....

clay-aiken-iphone-01.jpg

ETA: muski, I love you. Self- fullfilling prophecies, indeed.

You know, my mom has lived her life waiting for bad things to happen so that she can say, "See? I TOLD you things are shitty. I've been right all along." Self-fulfilling prophecy can be a good thing or a bad thing, just like every other thing, and as I'm sure we've all seen in our own lives, the same 'facts' experienced or interpreted by multiple people can be made to 'mean' different things. Looking for bad news? There it is. Hoping for good stuff? Well, maybe this week isn't the best measure, but don't give up.

I guess I just don't understand why people want RCA and Clay to part ways to the degree that they're even 'hoping' for a split (for whatever reason)? Clay has never indicated that he WANTS to separate (although I certainly acknowledge that he has no reason to ever tell US about that), although he HAS said specifically that he was happy for as long as RCA wants him, etc.

So...I'll give up on OMWH and go on to the next project only if Clay proclaims it's a lost cause and it's time to turn a page. In the meantime, I absolutely LOVE this cd. It's on continuous repeat play here at work and then I listen in my car. So thank you, Clay, for OMWH...it's beautiful.

"Why do we have to fight, why can't we spend our time...trying..."

:preachit:

I can understand being disappointed in the numbers, hell, I am, but I also agree that I won't give up on this CD until Clay says it's time to move on. He's the man with his name on the CD cover and his name on the concert tickets. I imagine he either expected this or is sitting someplace right now deciding what to do next. All I can do is support in the best way I can....which is something else I intend to keep doing until he tells me otherwise.

I could be tipsy or just stupid, but. Am I the only one that thinks it is normal for his cd sales to drop when he has no radio presence yet? Geesh. Give OMWH a chance to be played on AC so people can hear and know he has new music out. Then I would expect the sales to go back up. Gnats? Worse than that. Those people are seriously in mental trouble. Dumb dumb dumb. I wasted my breath and time on them for months over the reaction they had to ATDW and I just don't think they are worth another breath I take. I refuse to read them or acknowledge their existance anymore. They thrive on the attention. It's probably the only resource for attention they have. A captive audience willing to engage them. If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? :cryingwlaughter: I feel sorry for Clay that is all the emotion they can muster up in me anymore. It is up to him to ban them or close down his message board. Which is what I think he should do. Que sera sera. Whatever will be will be. Off to color my hair. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

KAndre temporarily pries one eye open and sleepily dances about...

I'm

a Kitty Cat!

And I dance, dance, dance!

Dance, dance, dance!

Ya know what? Since I don't think Clay and his friends are somewhere beating their breasts and weeping aloud over his career, and I think I should expend probably about 1/100ths the thought on Clay's career that he does...I will treat him like the other artists in my collection - just enjoy the enjoyable parts and know that the unenjoyable parts don't actually have shit to do with me. And avoid herds of unentertaining, whiny, bitchy people who have managed to convince themselves that they or what they say or think on what is (or should be) basically a hobby (because unless Team Clay/RCA/Roger Wydo-something or other/fans is paying your butt - this really is not your job), is actually "serious" or "important" and their rights to beat people over the head with these thoughts and have them validated (and frankly, isn't what all that sharing is about? Validation of your thoughts? Otherwise, you could just whine happily (or unhappily, as the case may be) to yourself.)

I love Clay Aiken bestest of all my entertainers right now. And for my taste, too many of his fans are treating him like a freakin' flash in the pan. Strike now or disappear forever! Feh, I say. If me and my posse twenty years from now have the joy of flying in to see him in a little club in Raleigh with great acoustics (and fans who will actually shake their ass or make devil horns as appropriate - heh), we will enjoy the fuck out of what is instead of weeping over what isn't. And spend more time with like-hearted heifers.

I'm sad about the numbers too, but I think I am more sad about the way the fandom has allowed itself to be splintered into something that vaguely reminds one of a fandom. I read posts from people saying they don't belong to a Clay fan message board to "help Clay". What? Times have sure changed haven't they. I understand that we the internet fandom can not do it alone, but I do believe that the tone of the internet fandom has a lot to do with keeping the excitement level up, at least it own excitement level.

I believe that the online fan community was severely damaged by those who kept the gerbil wheel in motion after the release of ATDW, and that sadly fans turned away not only from the fanboards but from Clay all together. Others, I think are still out there, but because they're not plugged into all things Clay anymore they are probably not aware he has a new album out.

Muski, you asked why did Clay feel the need to get the album out right after closing night of Spamalot, I think maybe he/TC may have felt they could take some good will, some good press and momentum from Spamalot right into the CD. I think he wanted to capitalize on that and Mother's day sales, perhaps over estimating what the size of the actual fanbase is.

Maybe he thought he would gain some "paying his dues" points if people actually knew he was working his ass off. Maybe he/they thought he would gain some cross over points from Spam fans.

I don't know, I don't really think it was a bad idea. Waiting a few weeks wouldn't have helped much IMO, he would have missed May sweeps. Who knows? I love the CD, and I'm not going to let sluggish sales make me feel like I shouldn't. Today, I was having lunch at Subway by myself and I took out my IPod. I listened, and I actually got a little PO'd, it's a shame any demographic of people should be made to feel that there tastes are "pedestrian" and it's a shame that any artist should be marginalized because of who his fans are. This is a damn good album.

Sales........ I know he'll have at least 2 for next week.

If me and my posse twenty years from now have the joy of flying in to see him in a little club in Raleigh with great acoustics (and fans who will actually shake their ass or make devil horns as appropriate - heh), we will enjoy the fuck out of what is instead of weeping over what isn't.

A little club with great acoustics! That sounds great to me. May I join you?

Can you imagine??????

:clap:

So are the numbers really that unexpected? I am seeing such over-reaction and death knells for Clay's career and I really don't understand it. It seems for the last couple of years, the talk on the boards has been the decline in CD sales, especially when the numbers for other artists come out, so why do people think it should be different for Clay?

Playbiller I have to be honest with you, I am so tired of the gnat drama and I could really care less what they are up to and I honestly feel that those that go around spreading their gossip and cluing all the fans in to their next moves are doing their dirty work for them and I really don't know how anyone can be a fan of Clay and do that. And please don't give me the "knowledge is power" rational...that is just an excuse to gossip in my book. Sorry, but I think those fans who continue to visit the gossop sites and keep tabs on what the gnats are doing have done just as much damage to Clay's career as the gnats. No one goes to those sites and gives them hits, they disappear; I think all this could have been over in early 2006, if the fans would have just learned to ignore. Sorry for the rant, but I am so fed up with this nonsense.

Kim

Man, it's a jungle out there. People refuse to look in the mirror. They also refuse to see how their actions might impact Clay and the new fans that this CD might attract. Or, maybe they just don't care. Why did I even bother to peek?

You are a brave, brave woman! :worthy:

It's starting to get ugly out there....and I ain't talking about the weather!

I mean isn't talk about the label might drop him a teensy bit premature????

Thank goodness this board is sane!!!

Seems to me that there are often certain posters who pop up just to offer words of doom and gloom. :badmood:

If me and my posse twenty years from now have the joy of flying in to see him in a little club in Raleigh with great acoustics (and fans who will actually shake their ass or make devil horns as appropriate - heh), we will enjoy the fuck out of what is instead of weeping over what isn't.And spend more time with like-hearted heifers.

Hey, I resemble that remark! :cryingwlaughter:

Unfortunately, I think that with the current state of the music industry, and their total lack of imagination as to how many different styles of music there are, (seriously, is it a requirement to work with Timbaland in order to get a song on the radio?), success on the charts/on radio will be very difficult for Clay. I am just glad that he has the ability to do so many other things, and do them well! How many other musical artists can get booked on a talk show- just for the talk? Clay has so much going for him in so many arenas, and seems to be gaining more and more contacts all the time. I imagine his biggest breakthrough will come somewhere unexpected. And I know that I will always be there to cheer him on!

aikim- Totally and completely agree with your post up above! :clap:

KAndre temporarily pries one eye open and sleepily dances about...

I'm

a Kitty Cat!

And I dance, dance, dance!

Dance, dance, dance!

Ya know what? Since I don't think Clay and his friends are somewhere beating their breasts and weeping aloud over his career, and I think I should expend probably about 1/100ths the thought on Clay's career that he does...I will treat him like the other artists in my collection - just enjoy the enjoyable parts and know that the unenjoyable parts don't actually have shit to do with me. And avoid herds of unentertaining, whiny, bitchy people who have managed to convince themselves that they or what they say or think on what is (or should be) basically a hobby (because unless Team Clay/RCA/Roger Wydo-something or other/fans is paying your butt - this really is not your job), is actually "serious" or "important" and their rights to beat people over the head with these thoughts and have them validated (and frankly, isn't what all that sharing is about? Validation of your thoughts? Otherwise, you could just whine happily (or unhappily, as the case may be) to yourself.)

I love Clay Aiken bestest of all my entertainers right now. And for my taste, too many of his fans are treating him like a freakin' flash in the pan. Strike now or disappear forever! Feh, I say. If me and my posse twenty years from now have the joy of flying in to see him in a little club in Raleigh with great acoustics (and fans who will actually shake their ass or make devil horns as appropriate - heh), we will enjoy the fuck out of what is instead of weeping over what isn't. And spend more time with like-hearted heifers.

:word:

And :word: to a whole bunch of folks who wrote good stuff while I was writing a post for another board that can be added to my "posts not posted" file (which is really, really big y'all).

I love all you people. So much!! You are so smart, and you know how to look on the bright side of life.

From eandpmommy at the CV:

Clay Siting

and he ain't in North Carolina my friends.

I was having lunch with one of my great Clay friends and my sister called me around 12:55 and asked me to guess who she was sitting right behind at lunch.

Yes Mr Aiken himself. She was having lunch at a restaurant called Savannah's in Burbank. My sister works for Disney Studio and I guess the restaurant is close by. I asked her who he was with and she said he was having lunch with another guy and it was not Jerome. I asked her what he was wearing and she got a tad irritated with me (She's not a fan) She did say he had a button down shirt on and she couldn't tell what pants since he was sitting down already. She did say he ran his hands through his hair a couple times and then preceded to ask me what was up with his hair and color LOL-

Unfortunately that is all I got because she told me she wasn't going to give a full blown report since she was with friends having lunch. So not a great deal of info, but hey he is still in California and Damn was just minutes away from my house-too bad I was down town at the time

-Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmm

So apparently he is not at home crying into his sweet tea.

Kim

If me and my posse twenty years from now have the joy of flying in to see him in a little club in Raleigh with great acoustics (and fans who will actually shake their ass or make devil horns as appropriate - heh), we will enjoy the fuck out of what is instead of weeping over what isn't. And spend more time with like-hearted heifers.

Hey, do you think if Clay starts doing these 'little clubs' with great acoustics, he might finally come to my little town? :lilredani: Hey! If he does, y'all can come and camp out at Casa Muski! It ain't big or fancy, but I have lots of sleeping bags. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I keep coming back to one fact: that Clay Aiken dude is one smart hunkahawtsingerman. I trust him to do the best he possibly can at anything he decides is his thang, you know? And since I'm an avid fan of Clay Aiken's THANG, I'll be there. :hubbahubba:

ETA: oooh! eandpmommy is a buddy of mine! Gotta call her! :cryingwlaughter: Also, I'm listening to As Long As We're Here right now and MAN...I can't wait to hear/see this one LIVE! He wails it...sigh...I'm ready, ready for LIVE Clay again...now. NOW!

or whenever Clay wants to be LIVE again.....heh. :blush:

You are all invited to camp out at my place when he starts doing those club dates, or Hometown Connection II, or whatever. Be warned, I do mean camp out literally.

I am with KAndre on this. I will enjoy Clay and simply not worry about his career because it is not in my hands.

I also agree with a lot of posters in the past few days. Since its been 5 years since Clay brought out a CD of originals...its like Clay is starting over. He is trying to build up his fanbase the old fashion way...through his music and that means he has to wait to see how many people the music will touch and with his type of radio play...it won't be easy. Also...unlike the real newcomers...Clay's celebrity status gives him a lot of advantage and disadvantage...i.e. he gets better TV promo...but there are also a lot of preconceptions about him that can be a barrier. So right now...all Clay can do is make the best music he can...and let people discover it slowly and organically.

with regards to the fans...I just stay here right now and don;t need to witness all the chaos out there. It has nothing to do with Clay...

I hope he stays away from the boards too and just enjoy his down time.

When I said dark forces, I was not speaking about gnats, but so called fans who are where ever angst is, they come and leave their little time bomb remarks and then sit back and laugh at the to-do. The cheer leaders of 2006 are back.

I have a question for Couchie and Ansa - is this a fan board? Are we here to support Clay or just to hear ourselves yammer? It was brought up on another board that they are not a fan board, so now I would like to know where to find one.

I am sure Clay has things to do and people to see and could use a little positive support. The drop should have been expected as the amazon pre-orders and the QVC were all done the first week. For his promotion, he is doing OK. Soon we will have the AOL sessions.

You know, keepingfaith, I've always wondered about that Tues., May 6th 'deadline' that Clay says was self imposed. I wonder about the 'why' of that date? Especially given the reality of such lead time needed to get prime spots on television shows for promotion, etc. That would be an interesting tidbit of info to me.

I have a theory!

Mine is Clay knows he has things to do this summer and he didn't want to take a break and then have to pick himself up a few weeks later to promote the CD and then go on a UNICEF trip or whatever else is up his sleeve. I think he wanted to do the promotion right after Spamalot and then go home! I think he thought it was the best use of his time. The big shows book up months in advance. He didn't finish the album until about a month ago or so, so a few extra weeks couldn't have made much difference. Could they have released the single to radio a few weeks earlier? Maybe, but as Clay said, AC radio is a slow build so even if it were eventually to get radio play it wouldn't have been before the album were released if he had waited a few weeks. And really, unless they delayed this album until mid-summer of fall, what difference would a few weeks have made?

I always thought it was a mistake to release the CD right after Spamalot which meant no pre-drop publicity, but a couple of weeks would have made no difference.

I don't think RCA will drop him. I think they must have had a clue what the sales might be like on virtually no pre-drop promotion and with several non-singing appearances all he could get. Contrary to popular belief, they aren't fools! They were too late for print media it seems and they couldn't force themselves upon AI, DWTS or any other prime time show. And to me, the difference between Clay and the other AI alums who were dropped is that Clay has sold well in the past. He does have a history of being able to sell and I think RCA knows that Clay still can. He needs radio. He needs his music used on a commercial or a TV show like Grey's Anatomy. But those slots are VERY hard to get. EVERYONE wants them.

This album has sold over 100,000 with no radio, very little TV promotion (especially of the singing kind) and no print promotion. When you look at it that way, that is pretty amazing. The big drop is not good. But then again, Gavid DeGraw dropped something like 70% and he is all over the radio and is one of the "cool" kids! So who knows what happened.

I have to believe that all in the TC camp were prepared for this. I am sure they are disappointed that the sales this second week dropped so severely, but I doubt they thought the figures would be good. Because of this, I don't think they would have released this album of all albums - the one Clay put so much of himself into - knowing that it probably would not sell well out of the gate for all the reasons discussed without having some kind of plan for a second wave of promotion. I have to believe that or else Clay is a fool and I just do not think he is.

They brought in a top notch producer for this CD. Clay chose songs he liked. He worked his cute little ass off recording while doing Spamalot. I just don't see him doing all that to release an album that they knew would likely just die a quick death due to the timing of its release. The thing that frankly worries me the most is the bad publicity this will generate. I can see it now "Even the Claymates aren't buying this album!" I also worry that really low sales may influence radio stations that are now or are considering playing OMWH.

Guess we can only wait and see.

I don't know. I just have too much faith in Clay and TC and even to some degree in RCA - who is in it to make money after all - to think there isn't a Plan B in the wings.

So I will get in my car soon to drive home on this rainy, yucky day, plug in my iPod and listen to my new favorite album and all the while chant to myself I think it can. I think it can. I think it can.

jmh123, I bet that file is really big. *g* But kudos on the ones you do post. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

:preachit:

So apparently he is not at home crying into his sweet tea.

:cryingwlaughter: Imagine that!

I seriously love this board. :wub:

I have a question for Couchie and Ansa - is this a fan board? Are we here to support Clay or just to hear ourselves yammer? It was brought up on another board that they are not a fan board, so now I would like to know where to find one.

I am neither couchie nor ansa, but I think I can definitely say YES WE ARE. I was knee deep in that conversation on another board, and it was brought home to me pretty quickly that many of the most outspoken people there DO NOT CARE to help Clay, they care more to have the right to spout their bullshit, regardless of whether said bullshit hurts Clay. Blows my mind.