#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

Yeah, but that was also the day that those lovely iPhone lunchtime photos were taken in Brentwood, so it would really having been difficult to get to NYC in time to see Spamalot that evening, even if he was really, really, really missing Hannah... :imgtongue:

Speaking of missing Hannah.... *Fun speculation here* I wonder if he'll be back in NY for her departure from Spam on June 15th? :lilredani:

I'm betting he'll be there. I hope he gets to, if he wants to, anyhow.

Oh YES!

And as far at the lunchtime pics, they were dated the 15th, but they could have been taken the day before, or he could have just flown in that morning.

I don't think Clay was in the theater on the evening of the 14th, but I wouldn't call the poster was liar either. At this point in his career, he could be traveling here and there daily and we wouldn't know about it unless he used a commercial airlines, and perhaps right now he is traveling privately. Just like that lunch sighting yesterday, since his run at Spamalot ended, he could be anywhere on any given day.

Agreed.

*checks under bed* Nope. Not here. *sigh*

Oooooooooo! I didn't check there last night! Is it time to go home yet? 8.gif

Maybe Clay's carried by a swarm of African swallows, gripping a line tucked under their dorsal guiding feathers. :coolchicken:

Lovely bird, the African swallow.

Maybe Clay's carried by a swarm of African swallows, gripping a line tucked under their dorsal guiding feathers. :coolchicken:

Ah, but they're non-mi-grate-ary!

from Notacanuck at the CH...

Another Podcast AP on Broadway: Clay Aiken

Jane Waldman takes you behind the scenes every week with A-list stars from Broadway and crossovers from Hollywood. Clips from musicals and in-depth questions make this the most compelling Broadway podcast around. Updated every Wednesday.

Singer Clay Aiken, who recently appeared on Broadway in "Spamalot," has a new CD out. Aiken spoke with Jane Waldman about his latest recording, his experience working on Broadway and why he thinks that "American Idol" isn't what it used to be.

Nice piece. It plays several of OMWH cuts in the background. He sounds really engaged. He talks a lot about AC radio and radio play. He says, 'Success is not about being famous or being rich. It's about being happy.'

Okay, there is a new AP interview with Clay posted at the CH, but I cannot figure out how to bring the link over...anyone? Bueller?

ETA: Okay, I see someone brought it over already while I was farting around trying to figure out.

Good interview, very timely considering his comments regarding radio, etc.

Kim

Beautiful plumage.

Love the new interview! Love hearing him talk. How can anyone listen to this, listen to how self-assured he sounds about his album and his career, and still worry and angst? Not me, that's for sure.

Beautiful plumage.

Love the new interview! Love hearing him talk. How can anyone listen to this, listen to how self-assured he sounds about his album and his career, and still worry and angst? Not me, that's for sure.

Me either and I love that he called Simon an idiot! :cryingwlaughter:

Kim

Beautiful plumage.

The plumage don't even enter into it.

Oh, wait. Unless you're talking about Clay Aiken and not the African swallow....

Yet another reason for it to be time to go home - I can't listen to this at work! :cry4:

laughn thanks for the link to the AP interview. Yes, Clay sound so self assured, so confident. It would be great if more of his fans would recognize this and just give his CD time...after all it's only been 15 days since it went on sale.

In case anyone wants to stream from the AP podcast page here is the link AP Broadway podcast .

cotton Thanks for my morning laugh. Once again I am impressed by your talent and that of so many of Clay's fans.

And when you do get an optimistic thread started at OFC please let us know where to find it.

How long did it take last time for Clay mini concert to appear on the Pontiac Garage?

Note to self- do not stay off the internet on Monday and Tuesday! Whew! Actually I'm glad I missed all the brouhaha! I do not need more angst in my life - especially after a dental appointment this morning.

I've said this many times in here lately - I am not giving up on Clay! Not now. Not ever. I still believe there is a plan somewhere or he'd be hitting the tour circuit right now!!!

Do the AOL sessions record in LA? Never knew.

I love how self-assured he sounded in that interview.

I know the "we" thing bothers some people, but I believe Clay thinks of himself as part of a team, part of a family, and honestly thinks "we", because he does get help and advice from so many people.

I find it kind of endearing. Maybe that just sounds bad to some people because they listen to every.single.interview, or something.

Funny about Simon - I know he can certainly be a jerk, but I feel if it were not for Simon, I wouldn't be able to watch my very favorite Youtube of an audition - Paul Potts' audition for Britain's Got Talent. It makes me tear up every time, and watching Simon and the other judges going from skeptical and sort of unethusiastic to looking genuinely moved is almost as good as watching Paul steel himself to sing and to possibly face rejection, and then triumphing. The female judge actually looked like she was "taking a moment".

Simon's remarks at the end about how he likes it when someone with no experience gets to compete (or something like that) is v. ironic, especially after hearing Clay talk about the loss of innocence.

Okay, possibly I"m blind but I can't seem to find the link to the latest radio interview.

And Simon is an ass! No getting around it. I realize he probably knows more about the industry than the other two stooges put together but he doesn't have to be so utterly rude and demeaning to people. Some will say that's how the industry is - okay, but usually when someone is that way it isn't in front of a few bazillion people. He humiliates and enjoys it.

As for the royal "we" - I still think it's an affectation of Clay's and not necessarily him speaking about the village surrounding him. It's perhaps the only thing he does that makes me kind of grit my teeth and go "eeeyewww, no Clay!" Clay is not pompous in any stretch of the imagination but when I hear other people using "we" when they're talking about themselves, that's the first thought that comes to my mind. Guess that's why it bothers me when Clay does it!! I honestly don't think he needs to represent all the people that give him advice and take care of him when he's doing an interview - JMO.

ETA: Sheesh - the link was right there. Guess I AM blindish.

Just started reading a book called "The Sixties Unplugged" By Gerald J Degroot; it is; in his words; "A History of the Decade and Not an Idea"; i.e. a view of the decade without the rose-colored glasses (his words).

Anyway, I am just getting into it and as a prelude he discusses the 40's and 50's; the baby boomers and what ultimately lead to the rebellions of the 60's. Pretty interesting reading so far.

What caught my eye, however was a brief history of the transistor radio and how it ultimately lead to the independence of the American teen-ager; when the transistor was first invented, many thought the American Public would not be interested because it did not have sound quality and who wanted a radio you can carry in your pocket. The first transistor radio sold for $49.95! It wasn't until the Japanese cornered the market on the transistor radio; that the American Market finally caught up. The Japanese Company that first marketed the radio was called TOTSUKO, now known as Sony.

So anyway, the transistor radio arrived on the market the same time as Rock and Roll which was great for the teen-agers; they could listen in private and privacy meant that the music could be more daring.

What is really interesting is this quote: "The fact that teen-agers now had their own radios meant that stations no longer had to cater to the diversity of tastes" They could play Pat Boone, along with Fats Domino.

He ends the chapter with this quote: "All that music kept young people content. Like and Orwellian black box, the transistor told them what music to like; what to buy and ultimately how to think"

And this was in the 1950's.

Can't wait to continue reading.

Kim

KAndre... WORD to your whole post... and a another plea to be the West Coast member of the eHP so I can join you in that little club!!!

We were waiting for you at the Kimmel line. Someone had an extra ticket!

Liney, if you can either swim or endure shoulder-deep water, you're definitely in!!!

Scarlett... Dang... I saw someone crossing the street who I thought m.i.g.h.t. be KAndre, but I didn't recognize who she was with (t'wern't you), so I didn't call out. Then got caught up in watching the filming thing, then just forgot about walking the line and trying to find you guys. I was there in the first part of the line. Next time!!! And, I am a good swimmer, so... YEAH!!! I'm in! Life is sweet! :cryingwlaughter:

Hey, dummie here.

I didn't intend to be so quiet, but after the dust settled from whatever it was, you guys went back to being a pretty close knit group. Like, close enough to hurt each other's feelings sometimes. That scared me some.

:bye2:

Welcome, dummie... I joined the same time as you did. I had joined a couple of other boards over the years and knew that to feel like you belong on the board you have to just post away and especially not to worry about not being noticed at first. Bring in some great pictures and you are instantly in... hehe I hope you will continue to post.

Being on a board brings angst and fun and laughter and very often some very interesting discussions. I belong to 5 boards and this is the only one I live on now. I only go to the others when there is a link. I kinda, sorta like it here! Please join us!

The Chinese Bamboo Tree and Other Lessons on Patience

By

Charlie Dexter

Do you remember back in the 60’s when Simon and Garfunkel sang the 59th Street Bridge song? ( if you remember the 60’s you probably weren’t there…) The duo advised us to “slow down, we move too fast…” What a laugh thinking about the speed of the 60’s compared with how fast we are actually moving today! We live today in an instant results - or else - world. If a politician doesn’t produce instant results to our liking we boot the bum out and vote in some other bum. If a corporate CEO doesn’t produce an instant turnaround, then that bum is on unemployment too. If the drive through on airport way doesn’t give us fast - fast food we get testy and swear to never go back there again, until next time. It’s a fast pace world we’ve created for ourselves.

Unfortunately, we are trying to live our fast paced lifestyle in what is naturally a slow paced world. Zig Ziglar, the famous motivational speaker, once told the story of the Chinese Bamboo Tree. It seems that this tree when planted, watered, and nurtured for an entire growing season doesn’t outwardly grow as much as an inch. Then, after the second growing season, a season in which the farmer takes extra care to water, fertilize and care for the bamboo tree, the tree still hasn’t sprouted. So it goes as the sun rises and sets for four solid years. The farmer and his wife have nothing tangible to show for all of their labor trying to grow the tree.

Then, along comes year five.

In the fifth year that Chinese bamboo tree seed finally sprouts and the bamboo tree grows up to eighty feet in just one growing season! Or so it seems….

Did the little tree lie dormant for four years only to grow exponentially in the fifth? Or, was the little tree growing underground, developing a root system strong enough to support its potential for outward growth in the fifth year and beyond? The answer is, of course, obvious. Had the tree not developed a strong unseen foundation it could not have sustained its life as it grew. The same principle is true for people. People, who patiently toil towards worthwhile dreams and goals, building strong character while overcoming adversity and challenge, grow the strong internal foundation to handle success, while get-rich- quickers and lottery winners usually are unable to sustain unearned sudden wealth.

Had the Chinese bamboo farmer dug up his little seed every year to see if it was growing, he would have stunted the tree’s growth as surely as a caterpillar is doomed to a life on the ground if it is freed from its struggle inside a cocoon prematurely. The struggle in the cocoon is what gives the future butterfly the wing power to fly, just as tension against muscles as we exercise strengthen our muscles, while muscles left alone will soon atrophy. My problem with exercise is not getting instantly stronger after each work out! I pray for more patience every day and I pray to get it right now!

We live in a quick-fix society. We get frustrated if we have to wait more than 2 minutes for service or a stop light to change. We want instant solutions to every complex problem and every fractured relationship. In short – we want it all now! Maybe its time to reflect on an old, old poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow that is as true today as it was when he wrote it over 100 years ago:

“The heights by great men reached and kept

Were not attained by sudden flight,

But they, while their companions slept,

Toiled ever upward through the night.”

I can be patient. Doesn't come easily to me, but I'm learning. I have every faith in Clay Aiken.

00lsee... I absolutely LOVE this article/quote you found. It has banished any tiny speck of angst I had. He has been building roots and very nice roots they are and I'm sure we don't even know them all. Thank you so much for this!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Just cuz I needed sunshine at the graveside . . . LOL

A really bad parody!

Song: He Is Not Dead Yet

Sir Clay:

I feel happy. I feel happy!

I am not dead yet

I can dance and act and sing

I am not dead yet

The IT I know I bring!

I am not dead yet

No need to cry in bed

No need to call the doctor

Cause I'm not yet dead.

CHORUS:

He is not yet dead

That's what the Popstar said

No, he's not yet dead

He even sings in bed

He is not yet dead

He is still far ahead

Fret not about the charts because he's not yet dead.

You think he's dead

You bang your head

You cry because you fear he's dead

It makes me just see red

The biz can be a brute

Radio is mute

The airwaves living backwards are near.ly. dead

Old knaves put music in the grave

Moguls need to wake and see today.

Sir Clay:

I feel happy. I feel happy!

I am not dead yet

I can dance and act and sing

I am not dead yet

The IT I know I bring!

I am not dead yet

No need to cry in bed

No need to call the doctor

Cause I'm not yet dead.

CHORUS:

Oh we're off to hear

‘cause he’s not yet dead

We will all cheer

As the Knight sings in our head.

He’s coming too

With his parts made of Pure Steel

He'll be our musician

He’ll have Surprises to reveal!

CHORUS:

Oh he’s not yet dead

To Concerts we will go

The voice and man behold

We’ll give him all our dough

Even though we’re told we’re much to old

We'll be going to his shows

Because we're not yet dead

And he’s coming, too

His name will be Sir Clay

He'll be our musician

'Cause he’s not yet dead

He’ll kill

Us all

He gives us such a thrill

He’ll sing,

Entrance

Give us a Glance!

ALL:

Our hearts will Soar

We'll have Big O’s by the score

And we will shout by for MORE!

Because we're

not

yet

dead.

~Playfully stolen and fractured by Cotton

Cotton... I freakin' adore this NOT "really bad parody"! Thanks so much! :clap:

I cannot believe how long it took me to catch up... whew! Unfortunately, I will not be able to keep up. I have a thing tonight. So, lunchtime tomorrow, I'll have a huge post from catching up to 24 hours of posting again.

I was not happy to hear Clay say he probably wouldn't do Broadway again, and, of course, the right offer could change his mind. I think that part was perfect for him and he probably knows himself well enough to know that he needs a part that will be fun and that he can change up a little when the spirit strikes him and how likely is that to happen. Most shows have a script and you keep to it. I think he felt hemmed in by the schedule so it may be a loooonng time before he's there again. We'll see, I reckon.

I am sooo happy that Billboard brought Clay up to 18th!!! I am so happy that he has a bullet!!!

I think it can, I think it can, I think it can...

:F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: FCAers!

Beautiful plumage.

It's about air speed velocity.

:manynanas:

Ah, but they're non-mi-grate-ary!

Beautiful plumage.

How many 5 oz. birds would it take to carry a 6'1" popstar?

Hi!

Back from the store. Belk Dept. Store (2 new blouses! Yay! On sale!) and grocery.

Took me forever. Now I need to go cook supper. DH will actually be home at a reasonable hour tonight!

But I had to pop in and say I LOVED the AP podcast! What a great interviewer! Nice voice. Spoke slowly, clearly. Asked good questions and LISTENED to the answers!

Love my Southern guy! Two words that just tickled my Southern Funny bone :

Ma-an

Ri-ich

Which he makes two syllables!

Latah, y'all!

Oddly enough - VERY oddly enough - I feel reassured after listening to Clay's interview. I think whatever happens with this CD he's going to be alright with it and with himself and his decisions. I particularly liked the comment that he's more comfortable now than he was in the first year and a half!! I love how adamant he is about Broadway and the talent and hard work it takes to perform there - and his absolute respect for Broadway entertainers. I also - again - enjoyed his comments about radio play. He knows what it takes and he knows what he's willing to do. He knows the environment ...and doesn't seem to be too worried about it!

But I have to ask - particularly the Canadians....did it take a long time for Michael Buble to get known?

Again - I just wish and hope that people would listen to what the dear man says!!!!

If you posted it in "The Man" forum, which gets the most traffic, it would most likely get moved to the "Clay In You" forum at the OFC,,,

WHOA!!! HELL-O!! Why do I not know about this? How long is the line? :hubbahubba: :17f71c4d: :DoClay:

from Notacanuck at the CH...

Another Podcast AP on Broadway: Clay Aiken

Jane Waldman takes you behind the scenes every week with A-list stars from Broadway and crossovers from Hollywood. Clips from musicals and in-depth questions make this the most compelling Broadway podcast around. Updated every Wednesday.

Singer Clay Aiken, who recently appeared on Broadway in "Spamalot," has a new CD out. Aiken spoke with Jane Waldman about his latest recording, his experience working on Broadway and why he thinks that "American Idol" isn't what it used to be.

Nice piece. It plays several of OMWH cuts in the background. He sounds really engaged. He talks a lot about AC radio and radio play. He says, 'Success is not about being famous or being rich. It's about being happy.'

What a great, great interview!! I think he's very proud of this CD, and rightfully so. He knows all about the pitfalls and the ugliness of the industry, and I really believe that although he may never again have a CD with the initial impact of MOAM, he feels much more satisfaction over making an album that truly reflects him.

:clap: YAY for the updated #'s! :clap:

I am so happy that he has a bullet!!!

Oh, liney...I'm sure Clay has more than just a bullet... :whistling-1:

ETA: Just listened to that AP podcast. sigh...this man is such a delight to listen to. he's smart and funny and thoughtful and insightful...

and gawd, he can sing. :wub:

Back in the office after an offsite meeting/lunch. Now I can listen to OMWH some more! :clap:

I am posting without reading the thread, forgive me, but I have an OT question. Does anyone on the board read Chinese? I received a card today from my niece in Taiwan, whose first language is Mandarin. Usually her mom will include a sticky note with a translation on it, but this time she didn't. I can scan it in if anyone can help me. Thanks!

Beautiful plumage.

:manynanas:

Do I smell copyright infringment here?

Clay We Me

I think Clay is "we" - because he is a character made by many people and Clayton is "me". I know that for sanity's sake, sometimes a person has to distance themselves from the center of crazy.

KAndre... WORD to your whole post... and a another plea to be the West Coast member of the eHP so I can join you in that little club!!!

We were waiting for you at the Kimmel line. Someone had an extra ticket!

Liney, if you can either swim or endure shoulder-deep water, you're definitely in!!!

Scarlett... Dang... I saw someone crossing the street who I thought m.i.g.h.t. be KAndre, but I didn't recognize who she was with (t'wern't you), so I didn't call out. Then got caught up in watching the filming thing, then just forgot about walking the line and trying to find you guys. I was there in the first part of the line. Next time!!! And, I am a good swimmer, so... YEAH!!! I'm in! Life is sweet! :cryingwlaughter:

Liney, You were there?!! We need to get together next time. We had a bunch of things planned for the weekend so we had to leave right away but we'll be sure to PM you next time we're in the area. Thank goodness for another swimmer! kimiye's my moon & water twin from West Palm Beach but I'm sure we can get into trouble just as easily on the West Coast. Lol!

I am posting without reading the thread, forgive me, but I have an OT question. Does anyone on the board read Chinese? I received a card today from my niece in Taiwan, whose first language is Mandarin. Usually her mom will include a sticky note with a translation on it, but this time she didn't. I can scan it in if anyone can help me. Thanks!

Luckiest, I'm sure I can get it translated. My go-to friend for this is on a tour of Japan and China but I can find others. Are you going to post or PM the scan?

I think Clay is he, and Team Clay is we, and Clayton is what people called him before he become famous.

I don't think there's a Clay/Clayton split. The thought of that is weird to me. He's the same guy no matter what you call him. People in Raleigh who knew him "when" still call him Clayton because they knew him as Clayton in school or church or wherever. I have a nickname and if my parents called me that it would freak me out. I'd be confused. Vice versa with the people who have called me by the nickname for many years. I answer to either one, but I'm not different whatever you call me. You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, and I'm still the same hard-headed woman! I really don't think he has compartmentalized himself to have an alter ego named "Clay" the famous singer -- I think he's all the same guy. Even if I call him Ray, or Jay, or RJ, or Ray-Jay, or Johnson!

Hey KF, that's how I've always read it as well. Nothing deep..just simple. Although my split wasn't as profound I wasn't called by given name until I went away to college and no one knew my nickname. And although I found some pretty good friends after the age of 18, never the twain did meet.