#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

Well I was wrong about Clay being on AI... I'll take my crow deep-fried with spicy ranch dipping sauce and a side of nachos. I need a margarita after sitting through this white hot mess of a show.

:juul:

I am happy with the outcome, though. The right David won.

I don't think there's any actual personality compartmentalization of Clay/Clayton. His reasons for reserving the use of "Clayton" to certain people are probably as personal as his reasons for keeping his favorite color secret. It's a part of home, a self-defense, a trust issue. Not the same thing, to my mind, as a different persona.

As much as I sometimes wish Clay would use "I" more, as a sensible form of self-promotion, I've never understood why fans are surprised to the point of exasperation when he says "we" in relation to his work.

I mean, this is Clay Aiken...This is the guy who, being interviewed at Benihana's, still paused to say, "thank you, sir" to the cook as he was served his meal. This is the man who thanked the tour lighting guy by name every night, the man who gave a gift and said goodbye to every staffer at Spamalot, the man who, while promoting his new album, did not forget to turn and acknowledge the backing musicians on camera...He has said more than once that without 'them', there is no 'me' (or words to that effect). "Me" is "we" and "we" is "me". Some interviewers have mocked him for it or been puzzled by it...but, based on what I know of Clay's personality, it makes perfect sense. One day, he may become more I-centric...and that's fine with me, too. But, when that happens, I'm prepared for people to huff, "Who does he think he IS!?!" Guy can't win trying to please everyone else. He might as well be himself.

You know this wonderful podcast from today? Is it available for download through iTunes? I can never find podcasts there!

You can download it directly from the podcast site - look for the little blue, downward pointing arrow.

I understand what you're saying, 00lsee...but I guess I wonder..when he was in a school play or after singing with accompaniment at this or that show when before Idol...did he say 'we', then too?

"Clayton! You sounded wonderful!"

"Oh, thank you....we appreciate it." :cryingwlaughter: "When we were practicing, we hoped we could remember the words."

I heart him for being that sweet Southern gentleman. Sometimes, the use of "we" just seems......weird. Not polite or humble or generous....in some instances, the fact that he chose 'we' instead of 'I' just sounds weird.

Whatever.

I sent OMWH to a hotel contact I made in January who, I discovered, really likes Clay's voice but didn't know much about him since AI. I kinda 'caught her up' with him and his life post-AI and showed her some choice video clips... :whistling-1: and by the time my meeting was over at the hotel, she was an avid fan! She even told me that when Clay comes here for a concert she'd treat both me and Couchie! (I told her about Couchie..heh)..So I can't wait to hear from her after she's listened to the cd. :DoClay:

Cotton, this is the WalMart CD that you want. It's got that pretty pretty picture of Clay on it...not that I don't love the original cover picture either, but I like this one more!

*hands bottlecap a few napkins*

I don't think there's any actual personality compartmentalization of Clay/Clayton. His reasons for reserving the use of "Clayton" to certain people are probably as personal as his reasons for keeping his favorite color secret. It's a part of home, a self-defense, a trust issue. Not the same thing, to my mind, as a different persona.

I'm actually kind of torn on this. I think there is SOME compartmentalization in Clay, but I see it more as the way a performer sometimes switches "on" as soon as they hit the stage. It's all the same Clay, to be sure, but I do think he does add something extra when he's on camera, on stage, doing publicity. As I said, I think that's just something natural for people who perform on stage and screen regularly. JMO of course.

As much as I sometimes wish Clay would use "I" more, as a sensible form of self-promotion, I've never understood why fans are surprised to the point of exasperation when he says "we" in relation to his work.

I mean, this is Clay Aiken...This is the guy who, being interviewed at Benihana's, still paused to say, "thank you, sir" to the cook as he was served his meal. This is the man who thanked the tour lighting guy by name every night, the man who gave a gift and said goodbye to every staffer at Spamalot, the man who, while promoting his new album, did not forget to turn and acknowledge the backing musicians on camera...He has said more than once that without 'them', there is no 'me' (or words to that effect). "Me" is "we" and "we" is "me". Some interviewers have mocked him for it or been puzzled by it...but, based on what I know of Clay's personality, it makes perfect sense. One day, he may become more I-centric...and that's fine with me, too. But, when that happens, I'm prepared for people to huff, "Who does he think he IS!?!" Guy can't win trying to please everyone else. He might as well be himself.

Totally agree with all this. He has always been a "share the spotlight" kind of person, and I've always thought that rather admirable of him. And yeah, someday he may start taking more credit for what he does -- only for people to think that he's gotten too big for his britches. (muski, that was for you...)

You know this wonderful podcast from today? Is it available for download through iTunes? I can never find podcasts there!

You can download it directly from the podcast site - look for the little blue, downward pointing arrow.

Well, when I click on the link I only get a gray page with a bar in the middle and it automatically plays the interview. Is there another page??

My officemates are gone for the day so I think atinal's your best bud for tonight. but I will still try tomorrow just in case.

No worries, atinal's DIL did a great job!

I was watching the Criminal Minds series finale, so I only saw bits and pieces of AI on commercials. Thanks for the spoilers to fill in the gaps. Not surprised that there was no Clay, since he basically told us as much in his blog. I know, I know, things can and do change sometimes, but he seemed quite adamant.

The "me" vs "we" thing does seem a little bit much, at times, but I don't agonize over it. I think it's a way for him to make sure he acknowledges that he doesn't do it on his own, he has a team working with him. Nothing more or less than that. No biggie. Clay vs Clayton? I used to think it was pre-AI friends & family vs people whose acquaintance he made after AI.........until the whole Jaymes thing. :cryingwlaughter:

Hmmm... mine did that too, CG, but then the little RealPlayer download option popped up in the right hand corner & I downloaded it from there.

CG, can you do a right-click on that arrow? That should allow you to "save target as..." or something....although I'm using a PC and you're a Mac person. Any differences with that?

CG, can you do a right-click on that arrow? That should allow you to "save target as..." or something....although I'm using a PC and you're a Mac person. Any differences with that?

MUst be! I don't see an arrow! All I get is a gray page! There is no writing or anything. It plays the podcast but that's it!

MUst be! I don't see an arrow! All I get is a gray page! There is no writing or anything. It plays the podcast but that's it!

I right clicked and saved on the link itself and it came up as an mp3. If that helps. When I left clicked the QuickTime page came up to play. Right click and save as, saved the mp3.

I right clicked and saved on the link itself and it came up as an mp3. If that helps. When I left clicked the QuickTime page came up to play. Right click and save as, saved the mp3.

Ooooo!! That worked!!!! Thanks! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

lydjocelyn, thanks for the Walmart link.

Now if I can just figure out a way to do the ship to store free shipping!

But - I'll worry 'bout that tomorrow!

Sleepy time!

Re: Clay=We

I agree that he's a share the spot kind of guy. He sang with choirs,etc, in his youth as well as the Just by Chance group. I think it's ingrained in him.

AND - I think it's part of his Southern 'training'! Braggin' was strongly chastised!

So - I think those who are upset by this better just get used to it! :cryingwlaughter: Just like his hair changing colors with the winds!

He is who he is! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

G'night, y'all!

Clay=we...quite honestly? I'm not convinced Clay is consciously aware that he even has this verbal habit...or he may be aware sometimes and not other times. Kind of like some people say "um"... Yes, Cotton...ingrained is a good word.

I guess I can ask him next time I see him. And I'll let y'all know what he says. heh

I've found a great way to watch AI. Leave it on mute until you see something rilly interesting (won't happen all that often!) and browse Clay sites while you're doing it. That way it's actually bearable. I did enjoy Carrie's performance, though.

I love that pic on WalMart OMWH! It's great that we don't have to choose, because both covers are extreeemely delish. I need to stop by WalMart this week and pick up a couple more copies to give away.

My family are the only people who call me by my full given name. Everyone else calls me by my nickname. In fact, if people call me by my given name it's really weird, because it feels like only my family should do that. Maybe it's somewhat the same for Clay!

So... didn't anyone else get taught as a child not to say "my this" or "my that" and instead say "our <whatever>"? I always assumed that that was where the me/we thing came from? I also noticed that whenever people who had been with me posted recaps of shows, they often said "Scarlett and I" instead of "I saw/did/said/watched/etc" and I thought that was sweet of them.

Once in a while, though, there would be something that I obviously didn't do (eg. "Scarlett and I saw so-and-so in the audience") and the eHP would be ROTFL because they know I never recognize people even if they were sitting right in front of me.

So... didn't anyone else get taught as a child not to say "my this" or "my that" and instead say "our <whatever>"? I always assumed that that was where the me/we thing came from?

Yep, that's what I was taught, too. I don't think that kids learn that nowadays, though.

Heeee, Scarlett, I'm tempted to call you 'baby eagle' from now on. :cryingwlaughter:

So... didn't anyone else get taught as a child not to say "my this" or "my that" and instead say "our <whatever>"? I always assumed that that was where the me/we thing came from? I also noticed that whenever people who had been with me posted recaps of shows, they often said "Scarlett and I" instead of "I saw/did/said/watched/etc" and I thought that was sweet of them.

Oh, sure. If I got too attached to something, and said "mine"...my mom would say that it wasn't "mine". That it was God's and I was only getting to borrow it. Sometimes I was even made to give it away as a tithe because it was bad to become attached to material things. I was not allowed to take credit for my accomplishments as if I had done something on my own. I was always to give the glory to the Lord. If I had plans and said I was going to such and such a place, my mom would always say, "You mean "lord willing" you will do those things". Very ingrained for most of my life. Pffft. No offense intended to anyone, but nowadays, if something is "mine"...it's MINE. In other words, if God the all-knowing and almighty wants my cup, somebody better buy him another one.

Joke, people. Well, kinda.

nowadays, if something is "mine"...it's MINE. In other words, if God the all-knowing and almighty wants my cup, somebody better buy him another one.

BWAH, OOlsee! I'm glad you have a bit more perspective on things now.

I could say that it's all about the quest and the symbol (cymbal?), but somehow it doesn't really fit!

Oh, sure. If I got too attached to something, and said "mine"...

You mean like Clay is MINE - MINE all MINE!!!!?

I've got a nickname for CG --

Dori!

{{{{{{{00lsee}}}}}}} That kind of "religion" just makes me sad.

Oh, dear God....I just read this on CH:

They just announced on our local Fox news that Steven Curtis Chapman's young child was killed...I think in an accident.

(eta) His 5 year old daughter Maria was hit and killed by an SUV driven by her 15 year old brother in their own driveway.

OMG...SCC just did a song a few months ago called "Cinderella" about dancing with his daughter...dancing with Cinderella...

I can't imagine. I can't.

Oh, dear God....I just read this on CH:

They just announced on our local Fox news that Steven Curtis Chapman's young child was killed...I think in an accident.

(eta) His 5 year old daughter Maria was hit and killed by an SUV driven by her 15 year old brother in their own driveway.

OMG...SCC just did a song a few months ago called "Cinderella" about dancing with his daughter...dancing with Cinderella...

I can't imagine. I can't.

This is sooo sad...double tragedy for his family...thoughts and prayers to them!!!