#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

ITA with both Iseeme and luckiest1. I don't think he'll ever truly "get it" regarding this sort of thing.

Let's put it this way: if YOU were to look in a mirror, what would you say about yourself? Many people would probably start picking out their flaws first, and it would probably take a while for people to admit that they see good points in their physical attributes. Actually, I honestly think if Clay were to look in a mirror in this way right now, what would he say? "I see me." *waves* I think that's only natural.

As far as what is "sexy" or even "attractive" -- well, that's a subjective as musical tastes. I personally don't think that Justin Timberlake is sexy at all, and yet, I know of people who fall all over themselves thinking he's the sexiest man out there. As a fan of Clay, I totally believe that Clay as sexy, and yet, can totally understand if others cannot see it. Doesn't mean either of us are right or wrong....just means we've got different ideas of "sexy."

How can someone of his sensitivity and intelligence not be a song-writer?

Ah, it's what he chooses to focus on, which is his singing, and other things in his career. Heck, I think I'm sensitive and intelligent, with a music background...and I'm not a songwriter. *shrug*

*hands aspirin to the eHp for their sushi hangovers*

First concert? Bay City Rollers, State Fair, 1977. *waves back at luckiest1* Yep, teeny bopper through and through. I've gotten more eclectic through the years, but I still tend to go to pop/rock shows more than anything.

Funny you should mention first concerts. My first "pop" concert was ( drum roll please ) AI2 and Clay! When I was young, I was much too cool for pop - only classical or folk - Pete Seager & the Weavers, Josh White, Olitunja (sp?). When I was being popular, it was the Kingston Trio (original version). Even sort of went to school with Art Garfunkel. During the '60s & '70s I was out of the country so missed all the fun - Woodstock, Monterey etc.

By the time I returned to concert territory, I was a divorced single mom with a one-year-old and no discretionary income. Totally left the music scene. Didn't even have a CD player until one spring a certain cute singer-boy mesmerized me into taking a crazy musical ride.

I'd never even heard most of the songs on ATDW, so that fact they were covers never bothered me in the least!

Funny you should mention first concerts. My first "pop" concert was ( drum roll please ) AI2 and Clay! When I was young, I was much too cool for pop - only classical or folk - Pete Seager & the Weavers, Josh White, Olitunja (sp?). When I was being popular, it was the Kingston Trio (original version). Even sort of went to school with Art Garfunkel. During the '60s & '70s I was out of the country so missed all the fun - Woodstock, Monterey etc.

By the time I returned to concert territory, I was a divorced single mom with a one-year-old and no discretionary income. Totally left the music scene. Didn't even have a CD player until one spring a certain cute singer-boy mesmerized me into taking a crazy musical ride.

I'd never even heard most of the songs on ATDW, so that fact they were covers never bothered me in the least!

Best concert, and probably my first, was Josh White Jr. Sitting on a grassy hill on a college campus late one summer night before classes started. Just him and a guitar. Magical stuff.

My first true, full out concert experience was Three Dog Night, and I was up in the nose bleeds, rockin' out with friends, and didn't give a rat's patootie that I wasn't third row.

Ah, it's what he chooses to focus on, which is his singing, and other things in his career. Heck, I think I'm sensitive and intelligent, with a music background...and I'm not a songwriter. *shrug*

He delivers the work of other renowned songwriters (Paul Simon, Elton John, Neil Sedaka) as well or better than they do. The emotions he puts into songs come from somewhere ...I guess I want him to write because I want to see inside his head!! I feel there is so much in him needing to be expressed.

LAA is one of my very favourite songs..

I know he chooses his songs (lyrics) carefully, so in a way he is showing us who he is. But I am "greedy" I want the full Monty!!

He delivers the work of other renowned songwriters (Paul Simon, Elton John, Neil Sedaka) as well or better than they do. The emotions he puts into songs come from somewhere ...I guess I want him to write because I want to see inside his head!! I feel there is so much in him needing to be expressed.

I know he chooses his songs (lyrics) carefully, so in a way he is showing us who he is. But I am "greedy" I want the full Monty!!

I can totally understand why you feel this way. I'd love to see into his head. But I just don't think it's going to happen. I think he's made that pretty clear. I treasure that he gave us LAA but I don't expect another one any time soon.

Forgive me, but I guess I just don't see what the value is in bringing stories like the one linked above around to all the boards???
laljeterfan, are you talking about the David A article i brought here? If yes, the reason is 1) because it has Clay mention and 2) it shows that he is not the only one facing these crap.

...but maybe he found out that having his inner thoughts out there, makes him uncomfortable.

On the other hand, not all lyrics show what's inside a person's heart or inside their head. Sometimes lyrics are just fun words or ideas jotted down...or a Montgomery Ward's ad (Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer). :cryingwlaughter:

As for the full Monty...where's muski when you need her?

Watching him sing LAA for the first couple of times on the tour last summer; my impression was that he was uncomfortable singing the song...maybe he just felt too vulnerable? But as the tour progessed, it appeared that he was finding a way to sing the song and detached himself from it; he was singing the song and quite beautifully, but maybe not as emotionally attached.

Discaimer: Of course I have no real idea of his emotional attachment to the song, these were just my impressions...he could have been thinking about dinner for all I know as he said one time when asked about what he is thinking when singing.

Kim

Just wish he would not call himself geeky when he knows full well that he no longer is.

Geeky is one of those words that sort of means different things to different people.

I consider myself a geek. But not a nerd. Or a spaz.

;)

----

it shows that he is not the only one facing these crap.

I'd say it's pretty obvious to anyone on the internet that Clay is not the only one facing this crap. Does that somehow make it better? Okay? It's still crap no matter who is facing it. I don't seek it out specifically because it IS crap. Just sayin' ...

----

Lot's of good discussion this week. I don't mean to lurk but sometimes it just happens. Work has fried my brain for the last several weeks and I'm expending all reserves there.

That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it. :cocktail:

----

Hee. My oldest is home for his 10 yr reunion (oy...) & just casually mentioned that he'd seen Clay on Leno and *gasp* thought he was "pretty darn funny..."

---

On a side note ... I'm in maple-tree-helicopter-hell here in Nebraska. :(

My first concerts were when I was a teen. I was fortunate that all the big "soul music" acts played at the Memorial Auditorium in Raleigh and my parents let me go. Seems like there was a group almost every Saturday night. I can't even remember them all now: the 4 Tops, the Drifters, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (sticks in my mind because we saw them at Shoney's afterwards), the Platters, and many more. Friday nights I would go to the Y to hear a local combo, and Saturdays to the Memorial Auditorium. I loved music and I loved to dance. Many groups also came to my college, too many to remember them all: Janis Joplin, Steffenwolf, Bonnie Raitt. My college had a big Spring concert every year with multiple acts, all free. The only one of those I remember now is Chicago. After college, the concert-going pretty much stopped. I did go to Union Grove one year to a big festival of folk music. Doc Watson was the most memorable performer there. I went to see a Marshall Tucker Band/Eagles bill in Winston-Salem in the mid-70s, the Grateful Dead in '77 in Durham, the Dead again in the early 90's in Chapel Hill, and I flew back home to see Eric Clapton in '94 or '95. Also in the 90s in NY I saw regional groups like Bella Fleck and the Flecktones, Christie Lavin, and the Horse Flies. In the 00's in PA, there was a big festival in May right across the street from me, where I saw regional groups like Zen for Primates, and one year I saw someone I'd adored as a kid, Melba Moore. I'd go to NY now and then for a Broadway show. And then came Clay Aiken!!

First concerts - mine was as a preteen-but-not-a-teeny-bopper. I saved my teenbopper mentailty for my middle age, it seems. The concert: Tommy James and the Shondells in 1969. Mony Mony. Crimson and Clover. I Think We're Alone Now. Strobe lights, electronic effects. Men with long, unstyled hair and tight pants. Good times.

Forgive me, but I guess I just don't see what the value is in bringing stories like the one linked above around to all the boards???
laljeterfan, are you talking about the David A article i brought here? If yes, the reason is 1) because it has Clay mention and 2) it shows that he is not the only one facing these crap.

JMO as well, but I don't believe every single thing that has a Clay mention in it necessarily belongs on the boards, especially with a link to give it MORE hits.

I know there are spiders in the world, but I don't bring them to bed with me.

Luckiest1, a trip across the border could be arranged! We missed you, and expect that you will be there next time around!

Spent a FUN day yesterday talking Clay, enabling Cindilu2 (and myself) into spending too much money, and eating! We found a great Mexican place after only 6 or 7 trips up and down the complete length of Transit Rd in Buffalo! To hell with the cost of gas when you're looking for the right food. :cryingwlaughter:

OH!! I forgot! First concert? Country...in the Municipal Auditorium in Penticton, BC where ALL the big acts came....NOT!! Patsy Cline, a young Kenny Rogers, and the big star...an old-time country classic of that era whose name TOTALLY escapes me now, and it's going to drive me nuts until I remember...anyone? Short, skinny, older man who was a real legend. AACK!! I was about 12 and my older sister gifted me. I loved it! Still like the real old country music of this era, but not the modern country.

I lived in the boonies until I was 17, so there were no concerts available for me to see. None. No, really. None. No TV either, until I was about 15. I led a deprived childhood filled with sand, sun, and water instead of pop culture. :lol: Seriously, I've missed a huge chunk of pop culture. I am in a movie, though....does that count?

At 19, I started working for the TV station in the big city, as an "on-air personality" on the Canadian version of American Bandstand. It was SO much fun, and I worked with Bobby Goldsboro, Bobby Vinton, Bobby Rydell, The Kingsmen (holy parties!!), Paul Anka, Dixie Lee Stone...all of the "teen heart-throbs" of that era. Most of them were about 5'4" :lol: and at 5'6" I towered over them. What is it about short men and music??

When I started working as an adult, I worked for what in later years became Ticketmaster, for about 4 years, so I got to see whatever I wanted that came to the city. Neil Diamond, Bryan Adams, Bette Midler, Tiffany (shuddup, it was for my kids), Rod Stewart, Tina Turner (haha...took my son's future FIL and MIL to that one~this very traditional Chinese couple just about had a stroke in the front row!), BTO...I'm sure there are more lost in the sands of time. I loved all of them.

Kids and divorce ended that run.

Clay Aiken started it up again!

The concert: Tommy James and the Shondells in 1969. Mony Mony. Crimson and Clover. I Think We're Alone Now. Strobe lights, electronic effects. Men with long, unstyled hair and tight pants. Good times.

Bwah. I saw them almost 10 years later. Same songs, same show, same pants, less hair.

:cryingwlaughter:

First concert .... Doobie Brothers. 1977? 1978?

edited cuz it is Doobie and not Dooby...fried brain indeed...

OH!! I forgot! First concert? Country...in the Municipal Auditorium in Penticton, BC where ALL the big acts came....NOT!! Patsy Cline, a young Kenny Rogers, and the big star...an old-time country classic of that era whose name TOTALLY escapes me now, and it's going to drive me nuts until I remember...anyone? Short, skinny, older man who was a real legend. AACK!! I was about 12 and my older sister gifted me. I loved it! Still like the real old country music of this era, but not the modern country.

Hank Snow????

I think my first concert was Don Messer centennial year in Canada. I lived in Northern Quebec where very few people came. The next concert was a

bunch of French pop stars (which I won't name because they won't mean a thing).

The next one was David Cassidy at the Canadian National Exhibition. After that it died down until the 80s. Have seen hundreds of artists, some more than once. No one, so far, more than Clay.

Hank Snow????

THANK YOU!!!! :cryingwlaughter: I can sleep tonight!!

Hank Snow????

Wellll who else could it have been (don't answer that, cause there are other answers).

Hank Snow????

Or possibly, Hank Williams?

Kim

First concert? Well, I was a definate late bloomer; did not go to any concerts in high school...my actual first live performance was going to see Gorden Lightfoot with my future hubby. He was and is a big fan...me not so much, but I did enjoy it. We went to quite a few shows at the Holiday Star Theater in Merrillville before our kids were born; Alabama, James Taylor, The Beach Boys...after the kids, I did not go to any more concerts until Clay...think I am making up for lost time!

Kim

Scarlett steals KAndre's wireless keyboard....

Hi Desertrose. No, I'm not, and I'm sure they are missing me terribly! On second thought, KAndre is probably quite pleased she doesn't have to lower the thermostat too much. She'd be happiest at 80 degrees, and I'd need a bag of frozen peas on my neck! But I do plan to see my "eHPs" sometime this weekend. After going through these pictures, I definitely need a go on the iGallop! Is Scarlett still on that thing?? Is Solo winning back the affections of KAndre's cat? Yeah, I've got to check this out.

Just talked to PerusingOne, she's on the tarmac in Dallas. I'm picking her up (unless I can convince someone around here to drive *looks for Solo*), and then meeting KAndre at Fung's Kitchen on Fondren. That's the dimsum place with, aside from all the standard shrimp and pork dumpling-type things, goose chitterlings, fresh seaweed, conch in curry sauce, abalone, etc.

First concerts? I didn't get to any until I started working because I was in Catholic convent school in another country. But once I could go, I went to everything and took my kids as soon as possible. MiniScarlett's first concert was an MC Hammer one while she was in kindergarten. Turned out to be a great thing because we kept going to concerts together even through their teenage years. Went to just about anything - Sting, Billy Joel, Sheryl Crowe, Kansas, Lilith Fair, David Benoit, Evanescence, Gloria Estefan, Hootie and the Blowfish, Hoobastank, Duran Duran, P.O.D., 3DoorsDown, Chicago, Jars of Clay, America, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Alice in Chains, Offspring, Velvet Revolver, etc.

FromClaygary, if you don't mind driving 1000 miles we have some good Mexican too! Bottle and Luckiest, oh do come to visit. The conversion rate should be good kimiye will be here in a couple of weeks and then Kareneh will come in early July. Only time I won't be home is the June 15 weekend because I'm flying over to see the StripedSockSiren goddess in Columbus for Knitter's Connection. Unless KAndre is serious about our flying to Hongkong on her birthday -- it's in the middle of monsoon season but hey, we've done crazier things before. You haven't lived until you've been through a Pacific cyclone or two.

Love the conversations about first concerts! I grew up up in Northern Ontario and travelled to the big city of Sudbury to see some concerts while in high school. All were Canadian artists and some have faded away to obscurity now.....Platinum Blonde, Corey Hart and of course Bryan Adams! The Sudbury arena back in those days only had general admission, so I rushed the stage with all the other teenagers and stood for too long a time, squished and sweating and screaming for these 'cute' singers! Ah....... the memories.....

Hee first concert..Acker Bilk in 1963. I waited outside to get his autograph! Next concert Bette Midler 1974. I was 6 months pregnant and went without my DH, just some friends. I had a blast and got in at 3 in the morning! What a rebel!

All the rest of the hundreds I have been to are a blur ( I had a friend who got in free to a perfoming arts pavilion) but I have loved every one of Clay's!!!

I hope the eHP has a fun weekend....boo hiss I won't be there!

This is fun... ok, I grew up in the boonies and considered myself lucky to have a radio to listen to American Bandstand. Saw Bob Hope and the Smothers Brothers in College, but that's not concerts. Soooo.... drumroll, please!

My first concert... took my, then, 10 year old grandson to see his idols... nSync on their last tour. Fun concert! Saw them twice. Cause my grandson lived with me, I saw the making of videos and that's why I have been soooo wanting to say to Clay...

nSync (and that includes Justin Timberlake, Clay) always used choreographers to create and teach them their routines. Justin has been working with choreographers since he was on Micky Mouse... Justin is an excellent dancer, but he had/has help!

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Only time I won't be home is the June 15 weekend because I'm flying over to see the StripedSockSiren goddess in Columbus for Knitter's Connection.

Eeeeeee!!! Scarlett's not only going to be in my neck of the woods (well an 1 1/2 hr. up the highway), but a friend and I were talking just this week about attending KC this year!! :6:

KAndre retrieves her keyboard...

First concert? Jackson Five at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Second concert? Bootsie and Parliament at the Houston Summit. Before Clay, I was so not a live concert person...Prince a couple of times....

Watching him sing LAA for the first couple of times on the tour last summer; my impression was that he was uncomfortable singing the song...maybe he just felt too vulnerable? But as the tour progessed, it appeared that he was finding a way to sing the song and detached himself from it; he was singing the song and quite beautifully, but maybe not as emotionally attached.

I tend to agree with your opinions on this.

Luckiest1, a trip across the border could be arranged! We missed you, and expect that you will be there next time around!

Spent a FUN day yesterday talking Clay, enabling Cindilu2 (and myself) into spending too much money, and eating! We found a great Mexican place after only 6 or 7 trips up and down the complete length of Transit Rd in Buffalo! To hell with the cost of gas when you're looking for the right food. :cryingwlaughter:

I will definitely try to be available for the next border crossing! Sounds like you guys had a blast. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

FromClaygary, if you don't mind driving 1000 miles we have some good Mexican too! Bottle and Luckiest, oh do come to visit. The conversion rate should be good kimiye will be here in a couple of weeks and then Kareneh will come in early July. Only time I won't be home is the June 15 weekend

Hee, I'll check my schedule and get back to you. ;)

I find all the "first concert" posts fascinating.........both because we pretty clearly are dating ourselves by admitting what our first concert was :cryingwlaughter: and also because we have such a wide variety of musical tastes! It blows my mind that we all found Clay in whatever way we found him, and we are as obsessed with him as we are, for whatever reasons. Until Clay, I could never seem to find that perfect male voice (and I've always preferred male voices to female for some strange reason). I love some of Elvis Presley's stuff, I think Paul McCartney had a great voice back in the day, but the two best pop voices, pre-Clay, IMO, were Roy Orbison and Gary Puckett. For some reason, I also always loved Don Henley's voice, even though it is not a pure pop voice. *waves to Don Henley fans, I know we have some* Sadly, the Eagles and Don Henley are one act that I've never seen live. There have been quite a few great acts passing through my neck of the woods over the last few years, but I've really become picky about what concerts I will spend my money on now......have to save for Claaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :)