#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

I've attended quite a few Concerts and the best concert I have even been to is Elton John, during the "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" Era. He sang and performed for 3 hours straight, without a break. I was sitting in the rafters and it was still an unforgettable experence. Next to EJ, I would put Clay as second and third would be Garth Brooks. I've never been to see Shania, but I do like her. I hear she puts on a great concert.

Worst Concert was Cat Stevens...sang for 45 minutes and showed no enthusiam whatsoever..just seemed like he was putting his time in and then he left, without a goodbye, a thank you, an encore nothing. I loved him before the concert, never listened to him again after that.

2nd worse was Glen Campbell..don't laugh, the tickets were free. He was playing an arena show at the height of his popularity and there wwere probably 2-300 people there...and most of them probably had comped seats. They were playing on July 4th Week-end and the big draw was a huge Rock Concert...plus the area was not big into Country. He should have cancelled the concert....anyhow he came out and sang maybe 6 songs and left. I wasn't a big fans and the tickets were free so I didn't get all upset about it.

I still think Clay would do well to do a Nationwide Tour of 2,000 seat venues. He needs to rebuild his fanbase, as well as get new fans. Many people can't travel for a concert and have lost interest since Clay never plays in their area. Many, many areas of this country haven't seen Clay in a Pop Concert since 2004 or not at all...way to long of an absence to sustain some fans.

Being an Opening Act is to big of a step down and I really can't think of any BIG Acts that he would mesh with. Besides, people buy tickets to see the Headliner....and alot of people don't even pay any attention to the opener.

Oh wow - I really hope Clay doesn't ever have to tour as an opener to someone else. Co-headliner is bad enough. I just remember sitting at the IT concerts and wishing I had earplugs when Kelly would start screeching. I know this is all speculation. But can you just imagine the horror from some of the fans when their first-row tickets would only garner them a handful of songs from Clay???? I would love to see Clay tour nationwide in the smaller venues. He interacts with the audience so well and that seems to work well. Oh hell, truth be told I don't care - just hope he tours!!!

I forgot I saw K.D. Lang last year as the opening act to Lyle Lovett. I had never seen her in person before and she was awesome. Her voice is sooooo clear!!!! She's really a sweetheart and so unassuming. She seemed genuinely touched when people gave her a standing O. Her voice is incredible. Oohhhh - I wonder how she and Clay would sound in duet!

The best concert I ever saw (aside from Clay's JBT which is still my all-time favorite in just about every way) was Annie Lennox and Sting a few years back. I never wanted it to be over. She was absolutely incredible and it's too bad all men don't look and sound as good as him at his age!!!! :Thud: The worst concert I've ever seen was Josh Groban. I would have been better off purchasing his CD and listening to it - it would have been ALOT cheaper, too.

Oh - yes, and then there was Barry Manilow at the Brian Boitano Christmas Show at Pac-Bell Park last December. He was soooo offkey and off beat that when one of the skaters had to re-do part of his routine for the televised show they used Barry's recording (and yes, he was still there in person!) ACK.

Suggestions? Anyone?

Who gives a shit?

:cocktail:

WORD :clap:

Jamar, I think if you responded with something like the above suggestion it would "take the fun out of it" for the person who is baiting you.

Or you could make a joke along the lines of "Well I dont know for sure but I'd be willing to make the sacrifice to find out personally unless you've already been there!" with a suggestive eyebrow waggle. :sleezy:

Sometimes a deliberate refusal to see the intent of someone to upset or insult you either defuses the situation or makes the nasty type angry, either way its a winwin situation for you.

As for Clays occassional effeminate qualities, lots of women would prefer that to the super-macho type man. (OK so I conducted my own survey of two girlfriends over cocktails but I think the results are still valid) :trink4:

ETA Happy Birthday Lajeterfan Muskidaughter and Couchiemum!

...way to long of an absence to sustain some fans.

I guess I don't understand the concept of "sustaining" fans. There are lots of acts that I follow on a regular basis, but would not consider being a die-hard fan. All it takes is one well-placed "something" -- radio hit, television appearance, what have you -- that would make me say "oh yeah, I'd like to see them again." Doesn't mean I'm not a fan, I'm just not a die-hard fan.

I think for me it's AMAZING that I've "sustained" my fandom for Clay for 5 years now. Most "fans" don't do that -- except for the really hard core (and I consider myself one of them for Clay).

My point is that he can get fans back, without having "FANS," if that makes any sense. And he'll do it on his own terms.

Being an Opening Act is to big of a step down and I really can't think of any BIG Acts that he would mesh with. Besides, people buy tickets to see the Headliner....and alot of people don't even pay any attention to the opener.

People not paying attention to the "opener" pisses me the hell off. Example: my first exposure to Melissa Etheridge was as an opening act for Bruce Hornsby. And I think about how many people missed her becuase they couldn't be bothered.

I need to think on the opening act thing for Clay -- whether he should or not, if someone should be for him, if he should be for someone -- will get back to ya'll.

Best concert I ever saw -- U2, Zooropa Tour, on my 30th birthday. Clay couldn't even come close to the excitment I had on that one.

Happy birthday laljeterfan, muskidaughter, and couchiemom!

Best concert I ever saw? Hands down Three Dog Night. 3DN sang all their standards and we were dancing fools. Then they pulled out a surprise and sang the Theme from Exodus ..you know, "This land is mine, God gave this land to me. This brave and ancient land to me...? It was absolutely gorgeous. I was only familiar with the Mantovani Orchestra version up to that point, but I've loved that song ever since I heard them sing it in concert.

Next favorite concert was the Rolling Stones, back in the early 70's. I went to see the Doobie Brothers around that time, too, but...um....ahem...don't remember much about it. I went to every concert that come to town when I was in HS because my boyfriend's dad owned the newspaper and always had comp tickets. Unfortunately, it was the 70's. Much of it was a blur.

My favorite Clay concert was the JBT, I think we were in Atlanta. Or Greenville or somewhere.

My favourite non-Clay concert has to be either of the times I saw Paul McCartney in Toronto and he brought the bagpipe band up on stage to play along with Mull Of Kintyre. At the last tour I managed to get a stage-side seat so I was probably about 12 rows away, and it was AWESOME.

Favourite Clay concert? OMG, how does one choose? Raleigh NaT is pretty high up there, so is Clio and Toronto JBT. Canandaigua DCAT was pretty darn special, too. I can't choose, I love them all, and I don't regret a single penny I've spent on any of them! I really don't have an opinion on whether Clay should tour with another act, or be an opening act, or have an opening act. I'll leave that to the experts. All I know is if Clay is going to be on the stage, I am going to be in the audience. I'm that easy. :cryingwlaughter:

Bookwhore....Rolling Stones in early 70s? You weren't at the outdoor stadium in Washington DC for the July 4, 1972 concert by any chance, were you?

I was....it was my first concert 'experience'; you know, more than just getting a ticket and sitting in a seat in an indoor theater type place....ah...youth.

So Carrie's 13th birthday continues. Last week---a day on the Santa Cruz boardwalk with two friends. Yesterday she was with another friend all day at some sort of outdoor festival and then spent the night with her. Today at softball practice her team 'spanked' her and we had cupcakes. In a little while two different friends are coming over for a sleepover and we'll have cake and ice cream.

And the beat goes on. :cryingwlaughter:

Late, but still before the end of the day.....

Happy Birthday to MamaCouchie :fest30: and MuskiDaughter :fest06:

Well I've certainly not been to as many concerts as many of you. I think my first major one was Dionne Warwick. Some of my favorites were Three Dog Night, The Who. Saw a few country acts, Alabama was one of my favorites in that genre. The last concert I went to before Clay was the co-headlining tour of Elton John and Billy Joel, that was definitely one of the best. Of the ones I've seen, I'm not sure I've seen anyone connect with an audience any better than Clay, and he's really the only one I've cared enough about to see more than a couple of times.

*Scarlett tiptoes into KAndre's living room...*

Only time I won't be home is the June 15 weekend because I'm flying over to see the StripedSockSiren goddess in Columbus for Knitter's Connection.

Eeeeeee!!! Scarlett's not only going to be in my neck of the woods (well an 1 1/2 hr. up the highway), but a friend and I were talking just this week about attending KC this year!! :6:

Yay annabear! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Scarlett steals KAndre's wireless keyboard....

Unless KAndre is serious about our flying to Hongkong on her birthday -- it's in the middle of monsoon season but hey, we've done crazier things before. You haven't lived until you've been through a Pacific cyclone or two.

Oh, oh, oh, and then on to Shanghai to the Museum???? Oh if only I had a job and beaucoup money I would pester you like crazy!!! Hong Kong is one of my favorite cities in the world. "Luckily" I realized my passport has expired, so I couldn't yield to temptation anyway. :cry4:

jmh, looks like this could actually happen. At least KAndre agreed to it in principle over the spiciy crawfish / queso fries tonight. I really would love to backpack Shanghai and some archeological sites with you, though. I can do China (or any place in Asia) at way less than most packaged tours so if there is any chance that we could do this next year I'll wait 1on the Shanghai leg for you!

Scarlett steals KAndre's wireless keyboard....

FromClaygary, if you don't mind driving 1000 miles we have some good Mexican too!

Hah! Little do you know! I think we DID yesterday, up and down Transit Road! :cryingwlaughter:

But I would definitely consider coming to Texas for good Mexican.

My mole chicken enchiladas were AWEsome!!

Counting on this -- maybe at the quilt show?

Bookwhore, I love Exodus -- the book, the movie and the song.

... not even givng the "article" a second glance esp. since it was about some other person

I would love to hear Clay sing with Christina Aguilera. Don't know about being the opening act though. If KD Lang can be opening act for Lyle Lovett , then opening act does not sound so bad. IMO Lyle should be opening act for KD. I have passed on the opportunity to see Lyle for free twice. I guess it would depend on what major artist would be the headliner. It would have to be someone really big. That would give Clay major exposure to a huge audience. With the price of concert tickets for these major artists I would think that most fans would be in their seats early to get their money's worth.

*Scarlett tiptoes into KAndre's living room...*

jmh, looks like this could actually happen. At least KAndre agreed to it in principle over the spiciy crawfish / queso fries tonight. I really would love to backpack Shanghai and some archeological sites with you, though. I can do China (or any place in Asia) at way less than most packaged tours so if there is any chance that we could do this next year I'll wait 1on the Shanghai leg for you!

Maybe by then there will be a miracle (or two) for me, and perhaps even an Asian tour for Clay to sweeten the deal??? **fingers and toes crossed**

All right. Nothing like posting in the middle of the night, huh? I woke up with the crud or something like it this morning. Took medicine in the early afternoon, fell asleep and woke up at 9:30 p.m. I was up for thirty minutes and slept again until 2:45. So it's reminiscing time again .... okay ....

My first concert was Andre Previn and the Houston Symphony as a child. I've seen lots of classical concerts ... Andre Watts comes to mind.

As a teenage I saw a few rock n' roll shows that came through town, but they weren't exactly concerts because the acts would come out and do three songs and off. I saw Neil Diamond when he was nobody, Tommy James and the Shondells, BJ Thomas & The Triumphs, Sundance Head's father Roy who was a local mainstay, Sam the Sham & The Pharoahs ("Woolly Bully"), The Kingsmen ("Louie Louie"). Then came the hazy years with the 13th Floor Elevators, Fever Tree, Moving Sidewalks (ZZ Top's original incarnation) and so many others like Ry Cooder, Leo Kottke, Leon Redbone, Cyrkle, Lightnin' Hopkins, Shiva's Headband, Dogtooth Violet, and the late, great Townes Van Zandt, in small clubs like Catacombs, La Maison, The Cellar, Love Street Light Circus, The Family Hand, Liberty Hall -- and no way I can remember them all. There's probably a reason for that.

The first rock concerts I attended where the freaks gathered were in 1969/1970 and were: Led Zeppelin (the Whole Lotta Love tour, UNFORGETTABLE JIMMY PAGE!!!), Jimi Hendrix (three months before he died with his Band of Gypsys), Canned Heat, Joan Baez (at a benefit concert for KPFT after the KKK blew up their transmitter), Donovan, CS&N, Derek & The Dominoes, Moody Blues, Jefferson Airplane, Vanilla Fudge, Ravi Shankar, Ten Years After, The Band (GREAT concert and I was so in love with Ricky Danko*), Grand Funk Railroad, Free (with Paul Rodgers), Jesse Colin Young -- and that's all I remember from that period, and only because I kept ticket stubs that year. And the ticket stubs tell me that all these concerts cost from $3 - $6. I think I've forgotten more concerts than I remember. I saw the Stones several times, but in what years or tours I don't recall except for the 1978 concert which I remember for reasons having nothing to do with the Stones. Saw Steppenwolf at a free concert on The Hill at Miller Outdoor Theatre and it was one of the best. I saw a Joe Cocker/Leon Russell/Rita Coolidge show somewhere in that timeframe and I think that was in Dallas. To this day it makes me flinch when "A Song For You" is identified with Donnie Hathaway and not Leon Russell. Leon Russell wrote that song about his love for Rita Coolidge, who left him to marry Kris Kristofferson, and he delivered it with such raw emotion. He wrote Delta Lady for Rita, too. And of course I loved Delaney & Bonnie. My best memories are seeing people before they made it -- like Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band when they were longhaired hippies at Armadillo World Headquarters with their first record, “Come Monday”, and listening to his tale of Brother Bear when he improvised quite liberally. I fondly remember Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks, the original Doobies, Mother Earth, J. Geils Band, Stevie Ray Vaughan many many times in the 80’s, and the beat goes on. I've seen Metallica, Ozzy, Anthrax, Sonic Youth, and some I won’t admit to. I told you I’m a reformed cougar, right?

Hey CG, I saw George Harrison on the Dark Horse tour, too! I also saw Macca & Wings in 1976. Also saw McCartney in 2005. I love his band.

If I could go back in time to attend a concert I missed, and I'm talking other than all the Clay concerts I missed and especially Solo and JBT concerts, then hands down this is it … The Band’s Last Waltz at Winterland:

OMG, I was so in love with Ricky back then! Robbie came later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_qZT3kdxI4...feature=related

This song has always been a personal favorite for SO many reasons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_xmpXfTtQ

And to everyone celebrating a birthday (which includes my youngest son on Tuesday the 27th):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsIxLEuDxsY

Can’t end this without props to Robbie and one of the best videos EVER:

And the closer. Kareneh, aren’t you the one who shares my passion for this song? I think Martin Scorcese directed this video too. Back in the summer of 87 (88?) I thought this was the sexiest song ever. I think it still may be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXNHQ-09gQ

Man, I'm wide awake and it's 4 a.m.

eHP -- the chances I'll make lunch tomorrow aren't good. It hurts to swallow.

Morning all.

New boss (who usually manages remotely) will be in the building all week. Not sure I will be checking in as often as usual. But I hope we get some Clay news! Looking forward to the AOL sessions tomorrow. :)

A cool new youtube for the DWTS fans.....and us!!

Falling

I would love to hear Clay sing with Christina Aguilera. Don't know about being the opening act though. If KD Lang can be opening act for Lyle Lovett , then opening act does not sound so bad. IMO Lyle should be opening act for KD. I have passed on the opportunity to see Lyle for free twice. I guess it would depend on what major artist would be the headliner. It would have to be someone really big. That would give Clay major exposure to a huge audience. With the price of concert tickets for these major artists I would think that most fans would be in their seats early to get their money's worth.

Now THERE's a duo I definitely couldn't miss! That I would love to see! Only problem is I'd have to take a year off to see every . single . show and follow them to Europe! :cryingwlaughter:

kf, hope you feel better soon! You Tube is telling me that video is not available in my country. And that makes no sense because the brand new Indiana Jones movie is available downtown on DVD. Go figure! Anyway, would it happen to be "Somewhere Down the Lazy River?" I do like that one very mad passionately much...and you've got me wanting to go find a copy of "The Last Waltz" with all of those clips you linked. I got to see them all but the one you wanted me to see.

I'm not counting the days for a tour, yet, but I've sure got the rest of my year compartmentalized. All these nice tidy chunks of time so I can keep living in the present. The more I think about it, and despite the fact that I want "all Clay all the time," sharing the cost burden of touring makes a lot of sense. I would think heading out on the road, for a lot of acts, would be a scary proposition this summer and who knows how long into the future. Tickets are expensive and MOST people are buying for two. I know when I choose a concert to attend at $75 to $100 a ticket, I'm looking for a sure thing. I know I can count on Clay to give me a great show, so I'm falling all over myself to plunk down the money. But my husband, who was always a big Stevie Nicks fan, refused to upgrade our lawn seats at the Woodlands to front row when there were some last minute releases on the day of her concert last year. He thought $250 for the two of us was too much to spend on a concert. Performers who want to get out there and tour are going to have to find ways to keep their costs in line since I don't think there is a lot of room to raise prices any higher for any act. My cousin's wife is surprising him with a trip to New York to see The Eagles play at The Garden at the end of the month. It's their 25th anniversary or something big like that. They are average people with 2 incomes and a thing like this is a rarity in their lives.

So, maybe Clay is back in Raleigh brainstorming with Mary and all those good people he surrounds himself with trying to come up with someone to share a billing with.....if it gets him out on the road this fall, I'm all for it. As much as I like parts of the status quo, the ability to take pictures being at Clay's discretion and it being a little easier to get half decent seats.....I know that's far from the most important thing in the long run. I'm ready to see some new people and see the joy of discovery on a new face in the crowd.

I would reserve the right to pout about no pictures, though.

Good morning!

I haven't been saying much. I grew up in Podunk - so no concerts for me. I was an adult, but I sure can't remember 'the first'.

I DO remember seeing Sting in Greensboro :hubbahubba: That man is nice through binocs! Joss Stone was supposed to be the opening act but she was ill. One of Sting's guitarist pinch hit for her. It was pretty cool.

And my coming to the fandom story just ain't that interesting!

KarenEh I hear ya' about Clay touring with another act of some kind with the economy in the current state. I don't care who he pairs up with as long as he's happy.

One thing - he probably won't do it - but if he does tour with someone else, I wish he'd blog about it before any leaks - before the shit hits the fan.

If he would just give the info and talk about (cuz some folks can't seem to see past the breathing apparatus in the middle of their face) the economy, gas prices, the logistics of touring and give the other person props, talk about why Clay thinks touring with that person will be fun, etc, maybe that would minimize some of the inevitable griping.

Call me, Clay! We'll talk!

:cryingwlaughter:

He doesn't even text me. heh

Hope everyone has a great day!

kf, sorry about having the crud. That sucks. Maybe some clack would help? OTOH...

And the closer. Kareneh, aren’t you the one who shares my passion for this song? I think Martin Scorcese directed this video too. Back in the summer of 87 (88?) I thought this was the sexiest song ever. I think it still may be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ3LOu9IK7Y...feature=related

I'm not KarenEh, but I share your devotion to this song. I agree....sexiest.song.evah. I think the first time I saw it I almost fainted.

Cotton, I'm with you in that I lived in Podunk when I was growing up. (Hey, maybe we were neighbors! *g*) And my parents were farm people, which meant that a live concert was going to the local festival for some bluegrass. Getting to see the Bay City Rollers wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for some neighbors who went to the state fair every year! (BTW....this is the state fair that Clay played in 2004. For Clay they actually let us on the track; for BCR, we were behind a major fence about 30 yards away. Heh). It took me going to college to start seeing concerts. I think one of my first was Genesis (without Peter Gabriel, so that gives an idea of the time frame). Since then I've been Don Henley (swoon), U2, Alison Krauss, Bruce Hornsby, Melissa Etheridge, Weird Al Yankovic (don't laugh, he puts on an excellent show!), Brad Paisley, Lucinda Williams, and I'm sure I've seen a few more. Also going to see Steely Dan in July.

But my main one was Huey Lewis and the News. OMG -- loved them. Still do. I saw them I think 5 times...over the span of 4 years. Such a difference from today with Clay. BTW, I'm actually in a Huey Lewis professionally released video. They recorded a concert in Chicago for their "Four Chords and Several Years Ago" album. My friend in Chicago read about it and inquired about tickets. She called me on noon Friday and said "we're in -- for TONIGHT!" I told my boss I HAD to leave (heh) and made it in time! That was the craziest fan thing I did before Clay Aiken.

OK, breakfast time. Hubby is making pancakes and sausage for me. I love him.

ladyjoce - I'm sure we were nowhere near each other! My Podunk is in South Carolina! And - until I was - late 30's? maybe, a concert was a BAND CONCERT!!! :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter:

I played French Horn and drums in HS. My uncle was a band director in NC. Daddy was the church choir director - so concerts were band, orchestra, classical or vocal.

Never entered my mind that you could actually - like - Go See someone you heard on the radio!!! :o

Went to college after my junior year in HS. Got married in August after college graduation (which for some stupid reason I did in Three Years! Hey - what was the rush??!!) He was in the AF. Lived in England for 3 years.

I did go see Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell in London!

I think I've seen more plays than concerts in my life!

Then - along came Clay!

:)

I have a question for everyone...What is the first concert you ever went to?

With a huge amount of embarrassment, I will admit I went to see the Monkees when I was 15. Obviously lacking in taste and sophiscation at that age, I thought they were just the greatest thing ever. Luckily my taste in music has improved since then, after all I AM a Clay Fan.

My kids used to watch their stupid TV Show in re-runs, and I would just cringe at how stupid it was....of course they would remind me how I used to LURVE them. Sometimes you wish parents would forget a few things that happened when you were growing up, or at least not tell your children about it.