#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

So am I the only one who didn't watch Idol last night?

Kim

I watched most of it through you tube...saw GM and Carries performance live and the announcement of the winner.

I like the idea that there could still be this kind of extravaganza of music, legends and new artist coming together. But of course AI producers just love to go OTT with the production. I think just going with the whole cheesiness is the way to enjoy it.

Carrie...I am so impressed with that girl...at this point I think she is the one that made the most of her AI experience. I enjoyed her performance, I like that song for just the fun of it and I really liked how she looked.

GM..At first I thought he was having trouble with the song...seem a bit tentative, noticed that he put up his hand to his ears twice...then about 1/3 of the song I think he was totally in it and he was awesome from that point. KF I have to disagree with Carries performance of this song, every time I watch this on ou tube i get goose bumps all over. I think I appreciate the lyrics more when she sang it than last night with GM.

I liked the GM medley...the guys looked hot but yeah glad amanda got out of this competition early. She does not really belong in that top 12

I really liked Ryan Tedder on the song...although David A can probably sing note for note better, I thought his voice had too much vibrato that the song was not a rock ballad anymore. I think they will have a problem with him singing contemporary songs. I bet they will flatten his voice in the recordings.

I really liked Jason but he does not seem to fit in this kind of huge extravaganza. He is one of my faves but I am glad he got out early cos he seem really uncomfortable up there. although I still resent how AI and the judges treated him in the end.

I loved the pips, I enjoyed Mike Myers...actually glad to watch it through you tube cos not as much of Ryan.

Happy with this result. I think Cook has a good recording future ahead of him. I think if he comes up with a good solid pop/alt rock album he can do better than Daughtry.

Ah...let me tell you, I've learned my lesson. I'd been listening to the cd OMWH on repeat for forever. So when the 13th song finished this last time, I thought maybe I'd broaden my horizons and put my whole media library here at work on shuffle.

13 songs? Don't tell me you are not listening to my beloved Muppet song!!! :cry4:

uh.... :unsure::whistling-1:

13 IS the correct number. :lilredani:

Awwww! You need to listen to it again!! That 14th song is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!

My poor Muppet song is so under appreciated! **sniff**

The longest I had the AI finale on my TV last night was from Ryan sitting on the magic carpet pillow thingy to almost being run off the stage on the magic carpet pillow thingy. Other than that I flipped back for a few seconds at a time about 4 times, so I maybe watched a total of 2 minutes. Animal Planet was brilliant, rerunning Puppy Bowl IV last night! :P

Does anyone know of a decent, free photoshop program? I need to do a little side project here at work for next month. :lilredani:

Aww, I love the Muppet song, too!

The-Muppets-Full-Cast-Posters.jpg

Chris Daughtry has his work cut out for him with David Cook coming on the scene. That's the problem for a lot of these Idol kids -- there's always a "new and improved" whoever coming around year after year.

Heh...Well, if Cook does bump Daughtry from his radio throne, he can always fall back on a career in product endorsement.

"I'm a serious artist, dammit! See? I'm scowling! Or maybe I'm just uncomfortably irregular."

th_Project1.pngClickable.

00lsee... :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: I heard some song of his in a store the other day and recognized his voice instantly. It sure is recognizable.

Thanks for the reviews of last nights AI "reality show".

Little weird guy and the marching band--OMG. (And they couldn't fit Clay in????)
Thank Heavens they didn't. I am so glad that he is finished with them. Now if the media could just stop with the constant association of Clay with them.

For a real reality show here is a link to an eagle cam. There are 2 fuzzy eagle chicks in the nest. A few minutes ago I saw one of the parents feeding the chicks.Eagle Nest Live

Lotus... Thank you for this! I love eagles and now my whole office has this on their computer watching it. I've favorited it so I can watch every day and see these chicks grow up. COOL!!!

Kim

aikim... I didn't either... haven't watched any all season.

I did watch the last half of DWTS. I heard that Jason Taylor has told the Dolphins he won't be there for training camp cause of the tour and might not be back at all. Apparently, he's had offers from Hollywood. Not for his dancing, I bet...

merrieee... thanks for bringing over those stats from CV. I LOVE seeing those numbers! Why AI couldn't see past their noses that Clay brings in viewers is beyond me and their loss!

{{{{SCC and family}}}} Tragic, but double tragic because of the circumstances. It seems like their faith is strong enough to support that poor young man thru this. He has to be able to forgive himself somehow.

Kim

Definitely not! I haven't watched a single second of that show since the AI5 finale- and I only watched about 5 minutes of that! Don't have any plans to watch it in the future, either!

Devastating news about SCC's little girl. Many prayers being sent out to their whole family. They will need each other more than ever now.

I mostly watched Ghost Hunters. I saw Ryan almost drive off the stage - now THAT would have been the watercooler moment!

My favorite part was Michael Johns and Carly. I thought they were great, and I forgot how gorgeous he is. Carly looked happier, too.

I am glad Clay was not there, it was too silly. Although yeah, another fabulous surprise would have been okay.

For a real reality show here is a link to an eagle cam. There are 2 fuzzy eagle chicks in the nest. A few minutes ago I saw one of the parents feeding the chicks.Eagle Nest Live

Thanks for the link, Lotus. I might finally get an avatar because of this.

*squishes Gibby* Aw, you can call me "baby eagle" anytime!

I didn't watch the show, and haven't for umpteen seasons. While I agree that the show has lost its innocence, I feel sad that just about everything has lost some innocence. The fandom certainly has lost quite a bit, and in a way maybe so has Clay. Gone are the days when people would just randomly post individual requests and offers to help on the main message boards. I'm glad I found the friends I did early in the game -- met PerusingOne standing at a streetcorner in Tampa close to midnight after she saw my PRoC shirt, liked it and then waved me over; I met KAndre when she posted about a Dallas IT roadtrip on CH Main and I called shotgun right after; Solo, I could say was introduced by a mutual friend although it was a friend we'd met 30 seconds before she introduced us (it was KAndre btw). You know we all could have ended up with serial killers? Especially PerusingOne who left a hotel roomkey for Solo without knowing who she was -- could have been some German dude. So maybe there were a few people I'd done something for who ended up in the OC or in some haters group, all in all I felt that we were being watched over. Things could have gone horribly wrong because so many people trusted each other blindly. We're a lot wiser now so in a way I envy the David C and David A fans who are just starting out -- I can imagine what last night must have been like for them. Nothing works like a collective emotional experience to bring people together and create bonds that last a lifetime.

Nope.

Funny thing. DH has been watching this season! **crosseseyes** and recorded last night. Then I saw folks online talking about the show running long and I was afraid he was going to be disappointed.

Although - he did 'bout have heart failure when he realized it was TWO FRIGGIN' HOURS LONG!!! hee

So - I called him at work today and asked if he wanted to know who won. I saw it at yahoo when I checked my email. Told him I was worried about the last 6 minutes.

He laughed and said, "No. I ERASED it." He didn't care enough to even fast forward through 2 hours! His guy won. He likes DC, but never voted. I think there are a lot of people like my DH who have favorites but just aren't invested at all.

RE: TV. Not really seeing much to look forward to this summer.

We watch Bones, House and NCSI and CIS.

Bones, House and NCSI all had serious shocker endings this year! Esp. Bones and NCSI!!!

(Don't think we watched CIS yet.)

ETA:

Great post Scarlett!

Scarlett... :F_05BL17blowkiss: I do understand about the 'loss of innocence' nostalgia. At the same time, I'm still bowled over by the excitement and giddiness that the man still generates just by....being.

And I'm still warmed by anecdotal evidence that we 'strangers' can still be 'friends' to each other. My first in-person meeting with an online Clay friend had her husband telling her I could be an axe-murderer, didn't she have more sense than to invite me to her house for New Year's Eve when the rest of the family was going to be elsewhere? :cryingwlaughter: That was the New Year's Eve 2003-2004 when Clay sang on MTV in that black outfit and gave that sexy little wink/smirk/fingerpoint at the end of the song

Heh....I had to QUICK! shut down the page just now...somebody came in to check some function on my computer... :cryingwlaughter:

Anyhoo....yeah, so that friend (Totally---who posted here for a short while) and I are still buddies and her husband 'approves' of me... :cryingwlaughter:

It's odd to think of what these past five years would have been like if Clay hadn't let Diane nag him into auditioning.....

The very first Clay fan I met was back during the NAT tour; I was on RHT at the time and was bemoaning the fact that I was going to miss this tour because I am a bit of a scaredy-cat about driving on expressways and this was two hours from house and there was no way I was going to drive all that way by myself. Within in seconds I get a PM from this girl telling me to get a ticket, she would be pick me up...turns out she lived on the south side of Chicago as do I. So, without hesitation, I went online, got a ticket and the next thing I knew, I was on my way to see Clay. My kids thought I was insane getting in a car with a total stranger to go see a concert. My response was..."she's a Clay fan", nuff said!

I met my very best Clay buddy at the time of the very first JNT; she was looking for Clay fans in the area, saw my name and for some reason decided to contact me; turns out we live 10 minutes from each other! We immediately made plans to meet for lunch and when we did it was like we had known each other forever! I am pretty shy meeting new people, but we gabbed and talked for two hours (and not all about Clay) and it turned out we had a lot in common. Our hubbies actually worked together for a while, my hubby also worked with her sister and we were married the same year, a day apart.

Since then we have gone to every tour together. This fandom really is the best!

Kim

bwah..oh do I have stories...but Scarlett... although a bit weary, I'm still making friends. The best thing about FCA to me is that I'm meeting a bunch of new people who walked parallel journeys on different boards. And Perusing One is just a slut I see. She was the first stranger I ever slept with. And I got to the hotel first and didn't even know anything but her first name. How I talked the hotel into letting me in the room I'll never know.

Speaking of axe murderers... heee... when Annabear joined Luckiest and Cindilu in our NYC hotel ..the three of us were like..so, does anybody KNOW Annabear? She could be an ax murderer. Someone said..as long as she has a visa heee. :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: But what's so funny is that although we had never met, I took one look at her and said..hmmm I know you. heee. Did the same with Wandacleo. When you're a concert ho there are no strangers heee.

One of my earliest friends in the fandom was an undercover reporter. We hung out together a lot doing non clay stuff but he brought us together. For one particular concert we drove together. She sat right next to me in concert...left and filed her review. Hilarious. She confessed to me about 6 months later.

Perhaps, some of the innocence is gone, but this fandom IMO is still about people helping people, in addition to loving THE MAN. I have always thought that, for the most part, he draws people like himself as fans.

I have been very lucky in that the first fans that I met are still fans and, in fact, are members of this board. My very first encounter was Heinz poor Heinz who ended up buying addition IT tickets for someone she had never met and ended up planning a van trip to see IT in Detroit, once again, with someone she hadn't met.

We set up a dinner before we left and this is where I met luckiest1, heartsocean and over time have been lucky enough to be in close proximity to cindilu2, claymatron, alspaz, canfly172 and even though she has to travel we have been lucky to have FromClaygary visit often and I personally, was lucky enough to have her be my travel buddy to NY to see spamalot (not only my travel buddy but my personal travel agent). OH and a quick edit to say I had the opportunity of meeting me_myb in NY and hopefully we will meet again.

In this spirit I also had the opportunity of hosting Lotus twice and a great time was had by all.

I still think that, even though we aren't as innocent, we still follow the man and are out there to support and help one another, just as we support him.

Aww, Scarlett's gone and sent us all down the schmoopie Memory Lane! :cryingwlaughter: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Strangers leaving hotel room keys for strangers still happens.... Strangers flying alone across the country to meet up & stay with other strangers still happens.... Strangers still say, "Here take my ticket and have a good time!".... Thank goodness, or I'd have missed out on getting to sleep with Cindilu, luickiest and Couchie :lol: and celebrate Clay's Spam finale in NYC with a whole bunch of FCA'ers! :clap:

Oh - and this wasn't the first time it's been wondered if I was an axe murderer, by the way..... :P

Ah meeting new Clay fans!!!!! I didn't know anyone who was fan and I saw there was going to be a dinner with the Houston bunch and even though I'm not good at that sort of thing I just knew I had to go! Well my eyes were not that great and I only drove where I knew I was going so I had to find a kind soul who would meet a complete stranger and drive her!

00lsee :F_05BL17blowkiss: agreed to meet me in the parking lot of a Pizza Hut! She drove up, I got in and drove off with her!! I guess she could have been an ax murderer but she was too cute! We hit it off immediately and never quit gabbing the whole way to the dinner.

Kandre, :F_05BL17blowkiss: Scarlett, :F_05BL17blowkiss: Karen eh, :F_05BL17blowkiss: Kimiye :F_05BL17blowkiss: Solo(?) :F_05BL17blowkiss: and some others who I cannot remember (bad me) were there. It was a great dinner and I remember feeling envious of them going to travel to see Clay. Next thing you know I have invited myself to go to Atlanta with them. Now Kandre was going to be my travelling buddy and I was to meet her at the airport...one minor problem though. During the dinner she sat at the other end of the table and as I said my eyes were bad so I couldn't see her clearly! Well I knew she was African-American and had short black hair but that was all! Imagine looking at everyone of that description in the airport trying to figure out if it was her! Needless to say when she did show up there was no mistaking her, except she had long hair...go figure*g*

Best thing I ever did!! I love my buddies and would not have missed this exciting ride for anything! I know I have never had this much fun in my life!

Thanks Clay, I owe you big time!

Wow, it's so crazy to think back to the time BC (before Clay). I attended the Buffalo AI2 tour with some friends from my old fandom (figure skating) who liked Clay, but I wouldn't call them "fans". Then I attended the Jingle Ball in Cleveland with my daughter, who shares my crazy obsession and has been to all but 2 of my concerts with me (ok, she also missed the last 4 Spam shows, not that I'm rubbing it in or anything :cryingwlaughter: ). Then one day I got a call from another skating friend......and she asked if I'd spoken to our mutual friend Sharon lately.....because she'd heard she'd jumped on the Clay train, too. So I called her up and we met for lunch, and discovered that wheeeeeeeeeeeee, we shared a common interest! So heartsocean joined us when we went to the Detroit IT. Through heartsocean, I got invited to a dinner with a bunch of women who I'd never met, but who have become some of my best friends now......insert goldarngirl's dinner story here, becoss it's the one and the same! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

We set up a dinner before we left and this is where I met luckiest1, heartsocean and over time have been lucky enough to be in close proximity to cindilu2, claymatron, alspaz, canfly172 and even though she has to travel we have been lucky to have FromClaygary visit often

My second IT show was in Winston-Salem. My daughter and I bought plane tickets on a lark, and found ourselves seated at a pre-party beside two sisters who didn't know anyone, either. NCDonna and her sister mandmlady have become lifelong friends of ours, and we often travel to NC just to visit with them.

I did one of those "jump in the car" or "share a hotel room" with someone you've never met things too...........for the Dayton NaT. I'd already seen 4 shows, but decided I needed another one......so somehow I found out about a woman looking for a travel mate to Dayton. She pulled up in the driveway, I jumped in the car, and away we went! Hee, it was about the craziest thing I've ever done, I think. But she didn't turn out to be an axe murderer. She turned out to be canfly172 ;)

Should I drag out the story of how I met couchie at the Raleigh NaT when I sold her a ticket online but then I couldn't find her to give it to her until after the show? Nah, she probably doesn't even remember. :lmaosmiley-1:

My first Clay-fan-friend came about from the LBFCA board. I had posted that I was going to the AI concert in Wilkes Barre, and she e-mailed me and asked where I was sitting. We e-mailed back and forth for about a week and decided to meet up at the concert- she was going with her husband, me with my cousin. I had given her a description of my car, but figured we'd meet her inside, as we had their seat #'s. My cousin and I got there early, and were sitting in the parking lot happily swapping stories about the unusual and probably illegal things we'd like to do to Clay, :hubbahubba: when we were snapped out of our reverie by a knock on the car window. Scared the crap out of us! It was our new friends, who had pulled up right next to us! :clap:

Our friend K was planning to throw panties at the concert, and we went out to dinner together before the show, sitting at a high table near the packed bar, while she demonstrated how she was going to launch the panties with some kind of slingshot type apparatus, laughing our asses off and acting as if we'd known each other for years. Her husband T is a doll, and a huge Clay fan in his own right. During Invisible at the concert that night, K landed a pair of panties that caused Clay to let out a huge BWAH during the middle of the song. He then goes over and picks them (and several other pairs, plus a depends) up at the conclusion of the song. It's a great video, I'm sure it's available somewhere.

Over the years, we've probably attended at least 20 of the same concerts with them. We don't always sit together, but we always make plans to get together before or after the concerts, and often end up running into them at odd places. (At the hell-on-earth that was the Toms River JBT concert, we were getting off a bus at the parking lot we had chosen, and they were standing at the bus stop waiting to get on. There were at least a half-dozen possible parking lots, and we had chosen one on a whim when we arrived- no pre-arranged plans.) We took them with us as our guests at one of the M&G's that we attended. Last summer when Clay played here in Syracuse, we had them over for dinner at my house, and they stayed overnight with my cousin. I am eternally grateful that we met them! (:F_05BL17blowkiss: to K&T)

the Dayton NaT

<snip>

the Raleigh NaT

I was there and there! :D*said the concert ho (tm Couchie)*

Hee, annabear, I knew you looked familiar when I met you in NYC! ;) :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Seriously! ;) Mr. Aiken may joke about his "portable audience", but there is a wee bit o'truth to that tale. :cryingwlaughter:

Should I drag out the story of how I met couchie at the Raleigh NaT when I sold her a ticket online but then I couldn't find her to give it to her until after the show? Nah, she probably doesn't even remember. :lmaosmiley-1:

BWAH...sad thing is that I don't...with the tickets going for what..15 a pop? I probalby had a few spares hee.

heee when I think of that Raleigh concert (other than the concert of course) what I remember is eating Panty Queen's fried dough..what's that stuff called?

You folks have been chatty today!!!

MAGICAL MERCURIAL MUSIC MAKER!!
thread title?

My first meet-up with a Clay fan was in the Boston airport! I was on CB at the time and Mamarose was trying to get me to go to Worcester for the Independent Tour. I told her if I could find round trip fare from SF to Boston for under $250 I would! Well, as luck would have it, Northwest had just added a flight and was selling it at rock bottom to get people interested - $199! So I was committed. SusanDavis found out about it and asked if she could join me! So our first meeting was outside my landing gate....she was standing on the stairs with a picture of Clay pasted to a ping pong paddle!!! :cryingwlaughter: We had a great time and have traveled together alot since then! But it was a teense skeery thinking I was going to spend 4 days in a hotel room with a complete stranger!!!

Ah meeting new Clay fans!!!!! I didn't know anyone who was fan and I saw there was going to be a dinner with the Houston bunch and even though I'm not good at that sort of thing I just knew I had to go! Well my eyes were not that great and I only drove where I knew I was going so I had to find a kind soul who would meet a complete stranger and drive her!

00lsee :F_05BL17blowkiss: agreed to meet me in the parking lot of a Pizza Hut! She drove up, I got in and drove off with her!! I guess she could have been an ax murderer but she was too cute! We hit it off immediately and never quit gabbing the whole way to the dinner.

Kandre, :F_05BL17blowkiss: Scarlett, :F_05BL17blowkiss: Karen eh, :F_05BL17blowkiss: Kimiye :F_05BL17blowkiss: Solo(?) :F_05BL17blowkiss: and some others who I cannot remember (bad me) were there.

Mwah!!! right back atcha! Speaking of which, I'm coming out of lurkdom to holler at the eHP since I will be visiting my sister in Sugar Land from June 3 through 8. What thread do we need to be in to plan something evil?