#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

Something I've come to realize in the past few years is that we are not nearly as evolved as a society as we like to think we are. There is still a large percentage of the country that is not ready to accept a black man as president, or a woman. The idea that to some people that even if one is perceived to be gay, it puts them in a sub-human catagory. Sadly, this is what the purported "story" reminds me of.

To me, this breaking news, wasn't that Clay Aiken was going to be a father, it was the need to add the method of the pregnancy that was the story and it's the need to remind the audience that he has been plagued with questions about his sexuality. It's that underlying jab, see this is another sign he must be gay. It's the underlying jab that no self respecting "real" man of 29 would be having a child with a 50 year old woman. No one blinks an eye if it is even a 20 year old woman having a 50 year old man's baby with no plans of being married. The double standards and predjudice are all over this story. That's the thing that pisses me off about this whole thing. There are no rules in journalism anymore. Truth, integrity and compassion have no place in today's news.

So, Jenna, I hope you're right that the press will just move on at least until the next time Clay Aiken moves a finger or a foot.

Great post atinal..and no doubt that was TMZ's rush to get it out there first. Fortunately many of the stories I've seen don't have that feel. But I so agree with you about how if the situation were reversed the man would get a pat on the back and a wink wink.

Topic du jour . . . Scroll at will

First of all - it all started with TMZ. So that's suspect to me.

Secondly - I really don't think Clay owes me an explanation of a tabloid report. I really meant what I said in my "maybe" post.

I just don't know what's true. And until we see pictures of Jaymes or Clay holding a red-haired, green-eyed baby, (maybe not even then) or until Jaymes or Clay share their story, I still won't know.

So although I was SHOCKED and surprised by the two phones calls I got yesterday, today I'm kind of whatever about it.

I do know Clay is EXTREMELY protective of Chamberlin, so I can't imagine how he will be handing his own children when/if he has them. (I'd hate to be on the receiving end of his wrath in this protectiveness!)

Since the report came out that said the Foster family said there'd be no comment until after the baby is born, I wouldn't be surprised at a long silence.

If they are having a baby together, I can see Clay being extremely stubborn about this.

I just see him going,

"They

[so called news outlets] [so called fans masked as caring about me, wanting to help, support me]

are so damned determined to find out about my private life - just let 'em try!"

I can see it.

I see his face. His jaw firmly in place. Chest out. Shoulders ( does he ever have to enter a door sidewise, I wonder?) squared. Head up. Right eyebrow parked North.

Those very large bones at the ends of his legs, permanently planted in an unyielding wide base.

:whistling-1:

Maybe I'm just weird. If folks are wishing Clay would just TELL US THE TRUTH DAMNIT, it might help to stop a moment and think about personality. It's just going to make him less likely to share, IMO. This is coming from the Mother of a Son with Similar Stubborness. The more I ask him to do something, the less likely he is to do it! If I lay off him, he usually comes around.

===================================

I was just telling a friend today -

when I first got pregnant, I didn't want anybody to know. I mean, I wanted to tell my family, of course; but the people at school - coworkers, people at then DH's work, people in the community - especially people who weren't really friends, etc. I didn't want them to know.

I was married. We were fine. I had nothing to be ashamed of. It was nothing like that.

I just wanted to hold the precious thing close to me. It was too special to become common talk. You know? It was my Precious! It was mine to think about, hug emotionally, smile to myself about. Like holding on to Magic and Light.

Any of this making sense? :)

I can imagine how hard it must be to find something so special become gossip rag fodder.

It's sad. :(

I wish it hadn't leaked if it is true. *snif*

Well, I just wish it hadn't leaked. Period.

And I am definitely not holding my breath for Clay to comment. I kinda like breathing. :dead-1:

:beatingheart:

Off tomorrow. Think I have a plan . . .

:cocktail:

K. I going back to bed to try again. This time I WILL GO TO SLEEP!

I am getting very very sleepy. My lids are heavy . . .very heavy . . ..

oh yes he is quite heavy lidded!

OH my!

I reallyl must SLEEP!

Go to sleep Cotton, you make perfect sense. It is a treasure to be held close.

I just realized that you can imbed the AOL videos to get them more hits as well. Anyone up for it. I am starting a web page, this may not be done soon,. So far, I only have half my Sadie memorial page done, noe I am starting another Clay page and need to draw people to me, we will see If I can come up with a name.

But imbedding the video is a good thing!

Something I've come to realize in the past few years is that we are not nearly as evolved as a society as we like to think we are. There is still a large percentage of the country that is not ready to accept a black man as president, or a woman. The idea that to some people that even if one is perceived to be gay, it puts them in a sub-human catagory. Sadly, this is what the purported "story" reminds me of.

To me, this breaking news, wasn't that Clay Aiken was going to be a father, it was the need to add the method of the pregnancy that was the story and it's the need to remind the audience that he has been plagued with questions about his sexuality. It's that underlying jab, see this is another sign he must be gay. It's the underlying jab that no self respecting "real" man of 29 would be having a child with a 50 year old woman. No one blinks an eye if it is even a 20 year old woman having a 50 year old man's baby with no plans of being married. The double standards and predjudice are all over this story. That's the thing that pisses me off about this whole thing. There are no rules in journalism anymore. Truth, integrity and compassion have no place in today's news.

So, Jenna, I hope you're right that the press will just move on at least until the next time Clay Aiken moves a finger or a foot.

Atinal, thanks for putting a finer point on my point. It is so sad that we are so quick to judge.

Anyone seen the movie "A Cry in the Dark"? (Also known as "Evil Angels") The story is a classic example of media frenzy and the public feeding on it. The woman concerned was "different", she didn't fit into society's expectations of how a mother should behave when she has lost an infant under tragic circumstances. That was enough for her to be branded guilty of murder before she was even charged. It is a stark example of how intolerant we are as a society of anything unfamiliar, anything outside our comfort-zone. It is changing for sure, but too slowly.

(The book is also worth reading. Oh, and the woman concerned was later found innocent and released from jail. And she found happiness with a much younger man.)

Go to sleep Cotton, you make perfect sense. It is a treasure to be held close.

I just realized that you can imbed the AOL videos to get them more hits as well. Anyone up for it. I am starting a web page, this may not be done soon,. So far, I only have half my Sadie memorial page done, noe I am starting another Clay page and need to draw people to me, we will see If I can come up with a name.

But imbedding the video is a good thing!

I'll think on that tomorrow.

Took sonata and my brain is not firing on all cylandars (sp?)!!!

G'Night!

Looks around. I think I have the whole place to myself. :whistling-1:

Anyway my early morning musings. If any of this is true (disclaimer), could Jaymes have found a doner any more qualified if she tried? Tall, good looking, very intelligent, extremely talented. She knows him better than any of us and I know I can say that without qualification. Clay helping raise the child? We have no idea if that part is true either. He may have given her a simple gift. That's about as deep as I can get without knowing anything. Could he love an older woman. I don't see why not? You are as old as you feel.

What shocks me is seeing that AI is considered disgusting by some. Only conception through intercourse is normal? And this is from fans? I guess there are a lot of people who think of Clay as a Ken doll to dress up and change hair styles. I don't know where they have been but that man is a lot more than that and I suppose that's why I like seeing him at the UNICEF Jenna Bush party or that photo with his family. He looks like a real person in those photos, approachable and real. I feel bad for Clay as I would for anyone who is publicly berated and ridiculed especially by fans.

And that poll rewind or whatever at aol. Don't even bother for every vote I put in last night two would appear in the freaky catagory. I'm beginning to think that some of these are rigged. :naughtywag:

Great posts overnight - I think this whole thing has been distilled down to a couple of things for me - first, people really think Clay owes them an explanation for what he does with his sperm? Bwahahahahahahaha! I can't really see him responding to that; I know I wouldn't.

Second, people/women/men - don't fit into little boxes any more. Women don't just work until they get married, then stay home and become moms until they become grandmoms and then retire and bake cookies. As someone who worked in various areas of computer technology all my life, I can say that most of the women seemed mentally, and physically the same age, same interests, whatever, except for the very young - because no one told us we had to start acting a certain way on our 40th birthday. We just continued on being ourselves. We listened to the latest music, went to the latest movies, bought the latest clothes, we were not issued housedresses on our 40th birthdays. I routinely was asked out by guys who were 10-15 years younger - and no, it was decidedly not oedipal - I was NOT the woman who baked cookies and remembered birthdays. heeee....one guy, when I turned him down for a date (because he was too young, haha!) pleaded with me and swore he was an old soul, he was an older guy in a younger guy's body. Nope - anyone who feels the need to let me know he just bought a gun safe (because he had so many guns) and who always had a current signed Hooters calendar in his cube was not really my type. Oh, the glam life I used to have - the guy thought I would take one of the two permanent onsite in Holland jobs for two years, so he managed to get the other one - and I volunteered for Tokyo instead....and the girl who did go to Holland ended up marrying a Dutch guy. Who was younger. Evidently our brains and sense of humor and adventure trumped our numerical age. And I promise you - you would not have guessed my age. I did not go to any trouble or work at that - I recommend Retin-A :-)

Here's one of the things about being an "older woman" - according to my own research :-o, we are not so much self-involved, we have read a lot, we have experienced a lot, we have a lot more to talk about. We ask lots of questions, we listen to the answers. We are more adventurous. These are things I have been told, I think they are quite true.

Whether the story is true or not - Jaymes knows more celebrities and likely moves freely in circles that most Clay fans will never even know about. She just is not a famewhore, it seems to me. As an executive producer, she knows and works with all those cool musicians that people were crowing about. She has entree into worlds that our lives will prolly never take us into, worlds where some fans would sell their souls to gain entrance, worlds where Clay seems to be fitting into when he chooses. So pfffft!

Anyway, I am sure if RCA thought she was not a suitable producer they would have done something about it. We just know scraps and bits about her, I hate that her life has been turned into something for fans to examine like monkeys washing food in a river and commenting on.

Even if the story turns out to be smoke and mirrors, I have quite enjoyed seeing the various reactions. Very interesting and illuminating, that's for sure!

SO many great posts since I read last night. I had so many quoted to comment on, that I couldn't even make sense of it all anymore, so I deleted the lot and I'll just say WORD to most, and this.

The only similarities that I can possibly see between 2008gate and 2006gate are the tabloids reporting something about Clay, and some fans wishing he'd make a statement to shut them up. Everything else in between is worlds apart. Comparing the details is ludicrous, to me. However, that said, had everything in 2006 turned out to be 100% true? I'd still be here, and my opinion of Clay would not have changed. What I'm trying to say is, Clay's private life is PRIVATE. If he chooses to share any of it with us, wheeeeeeee, if not, wheeeeeeeee. Why should anyone expect him to? He is an entertainer, and he entertains me just fine! :)

I hate that he is being dragged through the mud by the tabloids again. I would guess that he is not a v.v. happy camper that Jaymes' life is being dissected either. I am glad to hear that E! for the most part left her alone and didn't dig. Someone mentioned a while back that there is very little information available about her on the web, other than what Clay sites have mentioned. That is a good thing.

If neither party decides to make a public statement, my hope is that fans & the media can move on and just leave it all alone. If Jaymes is really pregnant, the baby will be born regardless. :cryingwlaughter:

I am SO glad that the work week from hell has finally ended. I have NO plans to do anything this weekend except sleep, eat, and play. Hee.

Bringing this over from CH because it's something I did easily, yesterday at work. YAY for going up to #2 from #9!

If your so inclined to stream

http://music.aol.com/song/

"On My Way Here" the single has moved up to #2 on AOL's Most Played list. It would be nice to get up to #1. A lot of people see this list and set up their Playlist from this list. People seeing Clay's name up there and his single as one of the most played in between some really popular artist like Chris Brown and Coldplay is good I think.

We are having a little streaming party at CV and also of course hitting the Sessions videos besides the above!!

Join in if your so inclined!!

Reading even further, I discovered this! :)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! We did it!

"On My Way Here" the single just over took Chris Brown for the #1 spot on AOL's Most Played list!!

WOO HOO!!!

http://music.aol.com/song/

AND his AOL Sessions just took over the #1 Highest Rated spot from Scarlett Johansson.

WOO HOO!!!

Also this, for anyone who is interested, since it doesn't seem to have been vaulted yet:

And while I'm not usually one to bother with stupid polls, this one makes my blood boil and I would love to see "he is a good singer" beat the other options.

http://news.aol.com/the-rewind/?feature=20080529152809990001

And I am definitely not holding my breath for Clay to comment. I kinda like breathing.

:cryingwlaughter:

S'true besides

I don't have anything to add. Nothing new to toss out there. The one thought that I've come away with since this story broke is that Clay Aiken is a very brave man. I would also argue that he loves deeply. Two very fine qualities I would like to see passed on to a child.

And while I'm not usually one to bother with stupid polls, this one makes my blood boil and I would love to see "he is a good singer" beat the other options.

I see progress was made on this overnight so I am back to voting on this. At least until 9:30 when I go to the gym. Ouch!

Oh, just to postwhere even more I wanted to report on what my son told us last night at dinner. Lately, Friday nights seem to have become the night when my kids, their s.o.'s, and I go out to a restaurant. Last night was no exception, we headed out in my son's gf's car to my favourite Vietnamese place. Damn it, no copy of OMWH in the car, it was still sitting in his car, where my daughter and I had accidentally left it the day before. Anyways, during dinner, the subject of the album came up, and my son volunteered that his favourite tracks were #1 (OMWH) and #12 (LAA). Hee, just the fact that he identified them by number rather than name CMSU, meant he'd listened a few times. On the way home, we were treated to music by Stained (sp?) and that nasty Bleeding Love song, both of which he sang along to at full tilt. :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: damn, could I make any more grammatical errors? Thank God for no edit counter. I think I need to make my chai tea before I postwhore again. Are you sick of me yet? Wheeeeeeeee did I mention no work for 2 days?

Weird? Eh. I can live with that. I have noticed that most people have huge swaths of "weirdness" that they do or are - it just doesn't get announced on Fox.

Thank goodness for 'weirdness,' at least as I think of it. Without that, what would we have? Sameness. Predictability. A cookie cutter society that, to me, would be boring.

While I'm sure there are some among us (I don't mean 'us' literally) who fit into that All American Family box, and that's a good thing too, that's only one way to lead a life. There are so many ways to go through life, and I don't see that one has more value than another. Maybe some life choices feel better to some than others, we all have our own unique world views and comfort zones, but I just don't see what is weird about 2 people wanting to bring a child into the world and finding a way to do it that works in their particular situation. Whether or not this story is true, if it were, gosh that's one lucky kid in my opinion. Luckier than many born into more typical circumstances.

Why do people need to conform to a social norm that, in my opinion, is anachronistic?

Ususual? Sure.

Weird? Not so sure.

Maybe it's just semantics.

I see progress was made on this overnight so I am back to voting on this. At least until 9:30 when I go to the gym. Ouch!

Does this mean we can vote on this one more than once, and it will count?

I have always embraced my 'weirdness'. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

duckyvee asked:

Why do people need to conform to a social norm that, in my opinion, is anachronistic?

Ha! They don't! and won't! Actually I think the old 'norm" was based on economic issues. I don't think there is any one particular norm any more - and folks who insist that their way is The Normal Way or The Right Way will generally be treated to merry laughter, a wish for them to be happy, and a cloud of dust.

The trouble and strife seems to come out of people insisting the rest of the world needs to conform to their own particular mindset. Ain't gonna happen, should not happen, really, just go with the flow. Or at least don't waste time bitching about it.

I see Billy Bush needed to make his asswipe comments - i don't care how many good questions he asked in that interview, he is only after one piece of news.

There seems to be a lot of concern regarding Jaymes's age; not only regarding a pregnancy but a relationship with Clay and I find that odd that some would have a problem with that considering that the majority of Clay's fans are Jaymes's age or older.

So explain, why is it okay for Clay's fans in the same age range as Jaymes to smut and lust after him, but when it possibly becomes reality that a 50 year-old maybe having a relationship with him; it is suddenly wierd or disgusting?

It has been fascinating reading all the different reactions to this, because the people I thought would have no problem with it, seem to be the ones having the most problems and those people are the ones who in the past have done the most smutting.

Just curious what others think.

Kim

aikim, what a truly FABULOUS question!!!!!!

I think some of it is jealousy, some of it is the realisation that it was easy to fantasize, "knowing" one is too old for Clay anyway - and then seeing that perhaps it is not the age, it is the actual person, and that they just might not appeal personally.....I think some more delusional thought they really had a chance with him as long as he was not "taken"....and I think some are horrified that Clay might actually be a real person. Some people have mindsets where everyone fits into a box according to age and sex and position in the world (heh, I bet some would be thrilled if Clay was boinking Jessica Simpson because she is Famous and Young and It Might Give Him Cred) - and feel he has stomped on the box they put him in.......prolly a hundred reasons, all valid to the individual, they just don't understand that they are not the boss of Clay or even of all the other opinions.

Come to think about it, the people saying ok, it might not be true at all, but if it is, cool!, are usually just expressing their own opinion. A lot of the negative stuff is not only negative, but there is a real effort to "correct" the people who are just charmed by the possibility. I am including several other boards in this assessment, not just FCA.

The people who feel Clay has somehow betrayed them - all I can think about that is WTF? What he does in his personal life is none of their business, it is bizarre.

aikim-- I just think some fans don't want Clay to be with anyone , period. They're jealous. Having said that, I certainly agree with your perception of the situation. I had an old magazine in the bathroom that told the story of Bruce Willis going on vacation with Ashton and Demi and the kids. Turn that situation around and substitute Jaymes for Bruce Willis and you'll see it's all doable to have a blended family. I only posted that because people are stupidly saying that Clay could never have a regular family of his own. Honestly, lots of the families in this day and time are blended, anyway.

Does this mean we can vote on this one more than once, and it will count?

I have always embraced my 'weirdness'. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Clear cookies and refresh, Voila!

There seems to be a lot of concern regarding Jaymes's age; not only regarding a pregnancy but a relationship with Clay and I find that odd that some would have a problem with that considering that the majority of Clay's fans are Jaymes's age or older.

So explain, why is it okay for Clay's fans in the same age range as Jaymes to smut and lust after him, but when it possibly becomes reality that a 50 year-old maybe having a relationship with him; it is suddenly wierd or disgusting?

Kim

See, to me it's the same mind-set that applauds when the PYT's are put front and center in the fandom rather than the old grey-hairs. As someone who (age-wise, at least) falls somewhere in between, it has always bothered me about the fandom. Personally, I despise shipping in any way shape, or form. To me, Clay is very comfortable with women and likes to flirt, so all of the "Oh, I just know, that they're a couple because of the way that he's/she's looking at/touching her/him ... "Oh, she'd be perfect for him, because she's young and sweet!"..... blah,blah,blah"- is just annoying-particularly when the same people say it again and again- every time there's someone new around him. CORRECTION- every time there's someone new and ATTRACTIVE around him - the PYT syndrome. If he's constantly with someone, but they don't fit into the PYT slot, then there's no way the relationship could ever be romantic, you know?

Yeah, I know I have issues with the PYT angle, because as someone who is not and never was good looking, I just think it's demeaning to imply that Clay could/should only be involved with someone whose main qualities seem to be young and cute.

Kim

See, to me it's the same mind-set that applauds when the PYT's are put front and center in the fandom rather than the old grey-hairs. As someone who (age-wise, at least) falls somewhere in between, it has always bothered me about the fandom. Personally, I despise shipping in any way shape, or form. To me, Clay is very comfortable with women and likes to flirt, so all of the "Oh, I just know, that they're a couple because of the way that he's/she's looking at/touching her/him ... "Oh, she'd be perfect for him, because she's young and sweet!"..... blah,blah,blah"- is just annoying-particularly when the same people say it again and again- every time there's someone new around him. CORRECTION- every time there's someone new and ATTRACTIVE around him - the PYT syndrome. If he's constantly with someone, but they don't fit into the PYT slot, then there's no way the relationship could ever be romantic, you know?

Yeah, I know I have issues with the PYT angle, because as someone who is not and never was good looking, I just think it's demeaning to imply that Clay could/should only be involved with someone whose main qualities seem to be young and cute.

Agreed...the fandom has always had a problem with media and how they portray Clay's fans regarding their age and invariably the posts in rebuttal are ones of indignation. How dare the media or the DJ's or whoever make fun of us because we are older; and yet, a lot of the same things are being said about Jaymes because of her age.

Kim

:word::word::word:

Oh, just to postwhere even more I wanted to report on what my son told us last night at dinner. Lately, Friday nights seem to have become the night when my kids, their s.o.'s, and I go out to a restaurant. Last night was no exception, we headed out in my son's gf's car to my favourite Vietnamese place. Damn it, no copy of OMWH in the car, it was still sitting in his car, where my daughter and I had accidentally left it the day before. Anyways, during dinner, the subject of the album came up, and my son volunteered that his favourite tracks were #1 (OMWH) and #12 (LAA). Hee, just the fact that he identified them by number rather than name CMSU, meant he'd listened a few times. On the way home, we were treated to music by Stained (sp?) and that nasty Bleeding Love song, both of which he sang along to at full tilt. :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: damn, could I make any more grammatical errors? Thank God for no edit counter. I think I need to make my chai tea before I postwhore again. Are you sick of me yet? Wheeeeeeeee did I mention no work for 2 days?

Did you really 'accidentally' leave that CD in his car, or was it sorta intentional? I'm glad he likes it! And I'm not sick of your posts at all! I'm equally thrilled about this being the weekend. It's been a long week for me, too!

aikim-- I just think some fans don't want Clay to be with anyone , period. They're jealous. Having said that, I certainly agree with your perception of the situation. I had an old magazine in the bathroom that told the story of Bruce Willis going on vacation with Ashton and Demi and the kids. Turn that situation around and substitute Jaymes for Bruce Willis and you'll see it's all doable to have a blended family. I only posted that because people are stupidly saying that Clay could never have a regular family of his own. Honestly, lots of the families in this day and time are blended, anyway.

If this situation was between Ashton Kuchar and Demi Moore there would still be the ::wink, wink, nudge, nudge:: from the media but it would be of the "way to go Ashton" variety and there would be high fives all around. Why because Ashton Kuchar is cool and Clay Aiken is not!