#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

I do wish that Clay would stop saying he is not sexy or cool because he feeds into that bias.

I've actually thought about this a lot...and I honestly think he'll never stop saying that. Why? You know, one of the reasons I can come up with is something that he and Diane Sawyer alluded to in 2003. I think he gets a real kick out of standing up for all the nerds/geeks/uncool kids of the world. The fans certainly do not see him in that way -- many of us certainly see the sexy (although I do have to admit that I know fans of Clay's who do not, they just really enjoy the man and his music). But I think he does still, for whatever reason -- and enjoys holding that banner up to the world, knowing that there are more than a few people in the world who can identify with him and his "uncoolness." In a way, he's proud of who he is, and I don't think there's any changing that, at least for a long while.

Also, I think he wants the media to think about that bias of theirs regarding "coolness." Will he be successful? Oh hell no, unfortunately. But I think he likes trying!

Indiana Jones was a blast, but then I'm biased -- I've loved every single one of the IJ movies. They are the perfect summer movies to me, and I need to see the new one again soon!

Everyone with family activities -- have a great time!

I do wish that Clay would stop saying he is not sexy or cool because he feeds into that bias.

I've actually thought about this a lot...and I honestly think he'll never stop saying that. Why? You know, one of the reasons I can come up with is something that he and Diane Sawyer alluded to in 2003. I think he gets a real kick out of standing up for all the nerds/geeks/uncool kids of the world.

<snip>

Indiana Jones was a blast, but then I'm biased -- I've loved every single one of the IJ movies. They are the perfect summer movies to me, and I need to see the new one again soon!

ldyj, ITA! I have to add though that the "not cool line" doesn't work so well when your stylist insists on making you look more like Brad Pitt than Brad Pitt himself.

*Eeee, another IJ4 gal!* That was fun! And I thought it wrapped up the series v. nicely.

The only reason that OMWH is not getting the reviews that it deserves is because the so called "critics" need to wash out the shit that has been building up in their ears from most of the music that is popular today. I bet that most of them have not even listened to OMWH, but review it from whatever biased perception they have of Clay. I do wish that Clay would stop saying he is not sexy or cool because he feeds into that bias. The man is hot. The vocals on OMWH are definitely sexy.

I agree. I really do believe there is a separate standard applied to Clay Aiken...simply because he is "Clay Aiken". And those bozos have a media-skewed view of what they think he's like. Sure, his music may actually not be to their tastes, but rejecting music mainly because of wrong perceptions about the artist? That's just dumb. And to do that for this album? Dang near unforgivable.

I've actually thought about this a lot...and I honestly think he'll never stop saying that. Why? You know, one of the reasons I can come up with is something that he and Diane Sawyer alluded to in 2003. I think he gets a real kick out of standing up for all the nerds/geeks/uncool kids of the world. The fans certainly do not see him in that way -- many of us certainly see the sexy (although I do have to admit that I know fans of Clay's who do not, they just really enjoy the man and his music). But I think he does still, for whatever reason -- and enjoys holding that banner up to the world, knowing that there are more than a few people in the world who can identify with him and his "uncoolness." In a way, he's proud of who he is, and I don't think there's any changing that, at least for a long while.

Also, I think he wants the media to think about that bias of theirs regarding "coolness." Will he be successful? Oh hell no, unfortunately. But I think he likes trying!

Everyone with family activities -- have a great time!

...that part I bolded...you may be right ldyj. I also think there is a part of Clay, the geek, the picked-on kid, who will always be there, just below the surface. Just like someone who looses 100lbs of weight still thinks of themselves as fat. Doesn't matter what the mirror shows. That person is always with you.

I'm going to see IJ tomorrow I hope. :) Now I'm more excited (yes, I am still a little kid inside)

I also think there is a part of Clay, the geek, the picked-on kid, who will always be there, just below the surface. Just like someone who looses 100lbs of weight still thinks of themselves as fat. Doesn't matter what the mirror shows. That person is always with you.

Returning the quote :F_05BL17blowkiss: to say that I agree with this as well. I think it kinda sad, but I think it also rather universal. I mean, every time I visit my Mom, even though she's fairly feeble at this point, I end up being "the kid." We all keep a piece of that inside of us, even if we don't like that about ourselves. It's amazing how how we were seen in our growing up years, or even still today, affects us and our visions of ourselves.

Heck, this sounds an awful lot like an album I've been listening to lately. It's called "On My Way Here." Ya'll should pick it up, it's really good.

I'm going to see IJ tomorrow I hope. :) Now I'm more excited (yes, I am still a little kid inside)

I'm loving seeing all the IJ fans here. Raiders of the Lost Ark was the movie that got me through my sophomore year in college -- I think I saw that movie more than 30 times that year. This new one is a rehash in a way of all the other movies IMO, but still a heck of a good time. Harrison Ford can still deliver a one-liner like no other actor I know. (He's another one of those guys who is a master of self-deprication, IMO).

Checking in quickly.......guitar recital went well (meaning he actually got up on the stage and played his song, and I managed to record it on my camera without any glitches, yay!), other son left for his g/f's prom, and now I find out my daughter has a baseball game I need to go and watch this evening. Yee haw! :cryingwlaughter:

Slow day in Clay land? LOL

I'm more of a Narnia fan than an IJ fan, sowwy. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Scarlett's "side" of the story too - because she is just filled with the capability of making the most crazy-ass things sound perfectly reasonable....

But...but... Isn't that what we're about? Embarking on what people would call the most crazy-ass things, pushing the limits, ignoring warnings of how it can't be done, hasn't been done, isn't right, isn't proper, has never been done before, too difficult, will never work, too complicated, is against the laws of nature (ok, maybe not that far but just enough to defy gravity) and in the end show everyone how easy it turned out to be that we not only made it work but we owned it completely?!!!

Scarlett... I think this describes Clay and lots of us, not just the eHP! :cryingwlaughter: Way to go!!!

As an artist, Clay compares himself to Justin Timberlake, who is considered the coolest of the cool by some (not me) and finds himself not cool. In high school, he never considered himself one of the cool kids and since they had tomented him since grade school, probably doesn't want in the least to be cool. He knows he's going against the stream, but heck, he always has so he's actually comfortable with it, I think. I think we're stuck with it, unless he meets someone who convinces him otherwise. Crossing fingers here!!!

Hi everyone... :F_05BL17blowkiss: I hope everyone is having a good day.

FromClagary, I'm glad I'm here too. I'm enjoying it very much. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Gloch...I love the diversity of this board also. Come out and play more often...if I can do it, anyone can! That goes for dummie too!

Gibby, I laughed while reading your post because it brought back memories of my oldest daughter's high school graduation. The indoor facility where it was normally held was in the process of being renovated. Therefore, it was held across town at another high school's track field. The weather was beautiful when we arrived, but within 15 minutes the wind was just howling...blowing the choir's music everywhere...then the rain started. We got through it, but we looked like hell when it was over. Anyway, I always wished I could play the piano. I've always envied those who could.

luckiest, so glad to hear the guitar recital went well. I tried to teach myself guitar once.... :laught31:

Iseemee...got that remote working yet??

I haven't seen IJ yet...probably can't afford the gas to get to the theater.

The only reason that OMWH is not getting the reviews that it deserves is because the so called "critics" need to wash out the shit that has been building up in their ears from most of the music that is popular today. I bet that most of them have not even listened to OMWH, but review it from whatever biased perception they have of Clay. I do wish that Clay would stop saying he is not sexy or cool because he feeds into that bias. The man is hot. The vocals on OMWH are definitely sexy.

I agree. I really do believe there is a separate standard applied to Clay Aiken...simply because he is "Clay Aiken". And those bozos have a media-skewed view of what they think he's like. Sure, his music may actually not be to their tastes, but rejecting music mainly because of wrong perceptions about the artist? That's just dumb. And to do that for this album? Dang near unforgivable.

ITA and a big ol' WORD! I'd like to know exactly what credentials are required for one to become a music critic these days. I'd like for Clay to stop saying that he's not sexy or cool too...but I honestly feel he's convinced he doesn't think he is.

I'm just glad he hasn't mentioned not being able to go to the grocery store, and that he's only dating his dogs. The latter comment just to make me just cringe. :whew:

As an artist, Clay compares himself to Justin Timberlake, who is considered the coolest of the cool by some (not me) and finds himself not cool. In high school, he never considered himself one of the cool kids and since they had tormented him since grade school, probably doesn't want in the least to be cool. He knows he's going against the stream, but heck, he always has so he's actually comfortable with it, I think. I think we're stuck with it, unless he meets someone who convinces him otherwise. Crossing fingers here!!!

I am reading this while listening to "The Real Me." This certainly gives more meaning to the comments being made. Isn't going against the stream considered cool? One thing for sure, he is very comfortable with changing hair color. That shows to me that he is not adverse to change because his hair color choices have been pretty brave and drastic. Love the Scarlett Brad Pitt comment. Like KF, I have also had all the colors available from most of the brands over my lifetime. :cryingwlaughter:

Sometimes, I suspect that he really does realize that he no longer is nerdy, but has become gorgeous and sexy and is embarrassed to acknowledge that in interviews. The man has enough money to buy a good mirror for God's sake! Maybe we should chip in and buy him one. He has said that he doesn't know why we like his ass, yet he flipped his coat tails during Spamalot to show it to us. The man knows how to work us. He knows his "stuff" is good. I too am crossing my fingers!!!!

Today is the last day to buy OMWH for $7.99 with free shipping from Best Buy. Even with sales tax it was only $8.65. I have now run out of friends to send it to. I sent it to everyone who has ever had me over for dinner or even just been nice to me. If you all have social debts OMWH is a good way to repay them and does not require cooking. I hope that they love OMWH and recommend it to friends. I hope I still have friends after they get my "gift." Oh well, I have always made friends easily.

KAndre thinks hard about changing the thread title to "We think we can beat that plan-changing (but only telling one person and that one person isn't the one driving in a couple hundred of miles here) Scarlett if we REALLY try"....

You know, the eHP has many, many strong points: fearless, brave, only a little psychotic, selectively deaf, willing to laugh at anyone and everyone, and redefining "lazy"....but planning? Man, that is so very foreign!

Solo and I are gonna jump on Scarlett's pretty little head as soon as we track it down! Other eHPer's: apparently EVERYTHING's at my place. For those who haven't been here, call for directions. Not Scarlett. She's not answering her phone. Not Solo. She's making a big ass detour. Call moi.

WOW so many pages to catch up on...lots of long posts to read...including a LOOOOOONG recap...hee

Did something happen in Clayland...LOL

I think it will take me some time to comment but...

HEY to our newbie Tijala...and to others that are delurking!!!

KAndre thinks hard about changing the thread title to "We think we can beat that plan-changing (but only telling one person and that one person isn't the one driving in a couple hundred of miles here) Scarlett if we REALLY try"....

You know, the eHP has many, many strong points: fearless, brave, only a little psychotic, selectively deaf, willing to laugh at anyone and everyone, and redefining "lazy"....but planning? Man, that is so very foreign!

Solo and I are gonna jump on Scarlett's pretty little head as soon as we track it down! Other eHPer's: apparently EVERYTHING's at my place. For those who haven't been here, call for directions. Not Scarlett. She's not answering her phone. Not Solo. She's making a big ass detour. Call moi.

I thought you liked spontaneity! Live for the moment I always say.

Oh, you're serious? You mean right now?!!! Like I have to dress up, pack an overnight bag and leave? Believe it or not I'm in the middle of cleaning, as in actually going through things and throwing out stuff. For real. First time in ages, since well since we met each other actually. And you know how rare that is for me? It'll never happen again this side of 2010. I'm a packrat at heart! Could never toss out stray dogs, injured birds, souvenirs, receipts, boarding passes, husbands, torn jackets, etc. So, I'm supposed to stop cleaning now?

Ok, stopped.

Getting into the shower and will be at your place. Soon. *giggles* (that wasn't so hard. and i still haven't unpacked from LA anyways) Yes, I check FCA before my voice mail messages. what.

ETA: Liney, :F_05BL17blowkiss: I have a nice reply to you but it'll have to wait. Or some people won't let me have sushi tonight. Thank goodness they don't know my apartment number or they might have been rappelling to my window already. Bye, talk to you from KAndre's keyboard later!

ETAA: So sorry for the useless post, Ansa. But apparently FCA Main is the only place we can get people together . We'll plan better... someday.

Newsweek

'American Idol' And the winner is...

NEWSWEEK

Jun 2, 2008 Issue

Congratulations on your " American Idol " triumph, David Archuleta. That ' s right — Archuleta. David Cook won the competition, but in the past, the male " Idol " winners have ended up losing out to a runner-up:

' Idol ' Champ

David Cook Sure, he can sing. But he might be too rugged for mainstream U.S.A.

Ruben Studdard Velvet Teddy Bear took season two but was dumped by his label last year.

Taylor Hicks Season five winner also later lost his record deal. On to Broadway!

Real Champ

David Archuleta Tween heartthrob is like the next Josh Groban—but with louder groupies.

Clay Aiken He might be odd, but his fans adore him. He's sold 5 million albums.

Chris Daughtry He finished fourth on the show, but he had the No. 1 CD of last year

Sheesh!

"Odd"?

Yeah. I guess he's odd cuz he has a great voice.

Guess it's odd to be CUTE!

Guess it's odd to start a foundation.

Guess it's odd to have toured your CUTE tushie off for the past 5 years.

Guess it's odd to have had a very successful run on Broadway making people laugh their butts off.

I could go on.

But I won't.

pffft!

At least they gave him the success!

morning all!

look what i found...poor David doesn't know what he has gotten himself to.

TheImproper.com

Front & Center: Is David Archuleta... Gay?

Idol Runner Up Says He Has No Time For Girls

Will Archuleta Follow in Clay Aiken's Footsteps.. Or Just Come Out?

In a stunning interview after losing the American Idol crown, young David Archuleta, giggled and laughed when the subject came to girls. Suddenly, gaydar started humming around the world. Is he gay? Like, Clay Aiken, the runner up to Ruben Studdard, Archuleta is a tween hearthrob. But during the press conference he seemed to have even more in common with Aiken than meets the eye.

Sorry girls, Archuleta, 17, told reporters he doesn’t want to date. “I just don’t want to deal with that (girlfriend) drama right now,” he said. “I just want to be able focus on music. When I feel like I’ve met a girl who has a great personality, and who is someone I can connect with, and who has good standards for themselves and who has respect for themselves, and who cares for others as well…It’s just something I will definitely want to focus on later in life when I’m ready. But I just feel like I’m so young,” he said.

Too young? By the time most boys are 17 their hormones are raging and girls are just about all they can think of. Of course, Archuleta says he wants to focus on his career, but why would a girl friend interfere with that? It never stopped Steven Tyler. In any event, it all seemed a little too reminiscent of Aiken, who sexuality has been in question ever since he vaulted into the public eye. While Aiken has never addressed the issue in a straight-forward way, (no pun intended), it is generally accepted now that he is gay. And, he’s done nothing to counter that view.

Having an overbearing father is added fuel to that view. The shy teen tried to deny those stories. He said he found the stories about being bullied or made to cry by his father “weird.” “I heard one thing that he refused to give me water. That is the weirdest thing. I am 17. If I want water, I am pretty sure I will just go get it. He is a great guy. There isn’t anything that he has done that is bad… my whole family has been a great support. They are the ones that have kept me grounded,” Archuleta said.

At the moment, Archuleta’s sexuality is known only to him, at least publicly. His shyness shouldn’t be interpreted as anything but that. Not that there is anything wrong with being gay. But if he is, let’s hope he doesn’t pull another Clay Aiken and leave his public in the dark about it. It won’t hurt his career if he is, but endless speculation about it will.

bolding mine cos it reminds me of the Ariel Levy article. I guess no matter what your age, if you're a guy, you're supposed to talk about girls, girls and nothing but girls. and while David DID mention that he would like to meet a "girl" up there, nobody listens to him, of course.

Oh I hate reading stoooooopid articles like that. Honestly. Clay was right. If you aren't out there boinking anything female (my words, not his! hah!) than they think you're gay. I think Archuleta is a VERY immature 17 year old who probably hasn't thought about girls yet. Not all 17 year old males are hormones on feet!!!! But then I guess saying you're not gay isnt' straightforward enough .........let's see - that was in Rolling Stone, the first Diane Sawyer interview....yada! yada! Clay is again right - people believe what they want to no matter what you say.

Remote hasn't been touched today but my neighbor suggested banging it on the arm of the chair! A very technical solution it would seem!! :cryingwlaughter: Then there is the general opinion that since BOTH remotes don't work that maybe there is something wrong with my cable box....on the holiday weekend, of course!!!

My son is 19 and has never dated. He hasn't shown much interest in girls. He's tall, skinny and a bit geeky. We have talked about his sexuality and he is not attracted to men. His time will come. Not all teenage boys have sex on their minds constantly.

EW has one of those "articles" which is a series of photos with captions, topic: how to improve American Idol in the future. Slide 18, the final slide, has this:

I really think it would be a fabulous idea to have previous Idol contestants (especially the winners and runners-up) be the weekly mentors. I just feel that previous Idol contestants would actually be able to give helpful feedback (that is, real mentoring) to the contestants about performance issues.

The photos accompanying the blurb are of Clay and Melinda Doolittle.

Here's a link to the whole shebang: EW.

Completely off topic (sorry, but I just scroll those AI related articles), has anyone watched the QVC performance of EIDN back, now that we've had some time to "live" with the recorded version for a while?

Whoa. It's killer. He completely nailed it. And the looks, the body language. Just whoa. He's gonna kill us with it in concert.