#34: So, how about that Clay Aiken?

Ansamcw

Thread Title  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• You mean, it?s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?
    • But I swear I tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • Tulibu dibu douchou
    • Until he starts singing with it though, it's a non-issue for me.
    • I guess I'll stay a Clay fan as imperfect as he is just because I'm imperfect too and he sings so good.
    • IF IF IF IF IF
    • IF IF IF IF IF uh
    • Clay is not just marching to a different drummer, he has a whole new fabulous marching band!
    • I'd still be a fan of anything else he may sprinkle his magic on.

I don't want to belabor medical issues, but while it's true that Down's syndrome is related to the age of the mother, most birth defects are not and are caused by non-age related things, such as inherited conditions, folic acid deficiency, alcoholism, drug use, and the age of the FATHER. Nothing in life is simple.

Once a woman is pregnant, one might as well celebrate life.

I don't want to belabor medical issues, but while it's true that Down's syndrome is related to the age of the mother, most birth defects are not and are caused by non-age related things, such as inherited conditions, folic acid deficiency, alcoholism, drug use, and the age of the FATHER. Nothing in life is simple.

I have a friend who had two children after the age of 50. Both were fine (although she went thru the process of amniosyntethis) and are now almost teenagers.

I too hope Jaymes has a healthy baby, no one would wish her otherwise. :)

Thanks for all of the replies to my question about a laptop case!

Gibby...I travel enough between work and Clay trips that I've often considered getting a roller thingy. Where Muski goes, so goes her laptop, for sure! :cryingwlaughter: Something's stopping me, though...I have a shoulder bag---a vertical shaped one that I ordered from the online Mac store on clearance and used it for a long time---loved it. Then, I started needing more room in a bag because I didn't want to have a purse, a computer bag and something to carry my books, mags, work file folders, snacks, ipod, little things I might buy in airports, etc. I didn't want so many things to deal with.

So now I have a tote bag from my workplace that's big enough to carry that stuff. I got one of those neoprene slipcover things for the computer and just slip it in the tote with everything else....I don't usually need to walk all that much at airports that it's an issue and when I have my luggage---either a carryon or a checked bag---IT has wheels so if the tote gets heavy, I just put it on the luggage and get on my way!

I've been thinking of a large tote with a neoprene slipcover, too! The slim laptop cases look nice, but don't seem all that practical for carrying a lot of stuff.

Glad your kitty's ok, luckiest!

Gibby, my rolly thing has a removable pouch for the laptop -- best of both worlds? If you're not picky, I recently received a nice free messenger bag as a giveaway at a recent virtualizaton seminar and it'll hold a 17" laptop. If you're just looking for something useable, let me know. It's a shoulder-slung canvas messenger bag -- red, gray and black.

{{{Hugs to everyone living with aches and pain}}} Hope you have a restful and comfortable night. :hugs-1:

Nice banner...

I saw a rolly thing with a removable laptop pouch, and it looked perfect except that it's for a 15.4" laptop. :glare: Thank you so much for the offer of the messenger bag! :da_best: Does it have room for a few other things besides the laptop?

...don't forget the freckles!

Time to go to bed. I did my civic duty today and probably gained 12 lbs in the process due to boredom and available food!

This sounds like a verra verra strange way to logoff, but I hope we have kitty pee!!!

I really have gone round the bend.............goodnight all.

First post .Seems to me youshould get all the facts before the name calling. Eric Robert is Julia Roberts brother. Maybe he is a B lister, but seems to be a good person, do you know anything about him? I think you are all in denial. You all act like Clay owes you something. Some of your emotional reactions are totally OTT. If you take such offense to criticism of Clay. you shouldn't be hypocritical and speak badly of someone you know nothing about.

Um...Hi there! Did you drop something?

alliedbrass-mirror-dm-4.jpg

00lsee... BWAH!!!

dianbauer... Oooo kay... first post and you come in with guns blazing without even a howdydo? Troll???

Iseeme... having a baby at any age is a crap shoot. Yes, statistics show that it gets more dangerous the older you get, but a neighbor had a Down Syndrome baby in her twenties. All any parents can do is pray.

[philosophical bent warning] I think that Clay, over the last five years, has exposed a lot of predjudice and judgement. He has also inspired a whole lot of love from a whole lot of people. I think that may be what part of his destiny is and I know that part of my destiny is to grow and change because of what I see in him, good and not so good. I am more accepting and more compassionate... because of him. More importantly, a lot of that acceptance and compassion is toward myself... because of him. Clay Aiken is not perfect and isn't going to do everything perfectly and since I'm not either, that's ok with me. [/philosophical bent]

I have experienced pure joy because of him and laughed more than in my whole life in the last five years... because of him and the people I have experienced thru him and his fandom.

Bottom line: I love and appreciate that man and what he has brought into my life. I wish him happiness in whatever form he choses. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

You'll have to pardon me... I stayed up too late and just got all schmoopie!

I have no idea who eric roberts is, I assume a fame whore. Carmen sold her soul when she went to MSNBC - just because people talk about things do not mean that you can say it is a definite in this particular case carmen - fame whores all. Yes, Carmen is still trying to push her album. She might have meant well, but her foot has found it's way to her mouth pretty often. I am starting to appreciate Trenyce more all the time. I just think it is so rude and maybe the imaginary "exclusive' is off with people now.

First post .Seems to me youshould get all the facts before the name calling. Eric Robert is Julia Roberts brother. Maybe he is a B lister, but seems to be a good person, do you know anything about him? I think you are all in denial. You all act like Clay owes you something. Some of your emotional reactions are totally OTT. If you take such offense to criticism of Clay. you shouldn't be hypocritical and speak badly of someone you know nothing about.

Hi dianbauer! Newbies are welcomed here. Perhaps you can introduce yourself more fully. I always enjoy reading "How I found Clay" stories. Not everyone is of the same opinion on any subject here, thank goodness! I feel like a board member (part of the "all" you mentioned) yet I haven't stated any opinion either way about Clay, the baby, Jaymes or Eric Roberts .( and yes I did know who he was). If you read a selection of posts made by the different people on this board I think you will find such a varied selection of opinions there is something for everyone. That keeps it interesting.

I have no idea who eric roberts is, I assume a fame whore. Carmen sold her soul when she went to MSNBC - just because people talk about things do not mean that you can say it is a definite in this particular case carmen - fame whores all. Yes, Carmen is still trying to push her album. She might have meant well, but her foot has found it's way to her mouth pretty often. I am starting to appreciate Trenyce more all the time. I just think it is so rude and maybe the imaginary "exclusive' is off with people now.

Hi dianbauer! Newbies are welcomed here. Perhaps you can introduce yourself more fully. I always enjoy reading "How I found Clay" stories. Not everyone is of the same opinion on any subject here, thank goodness! I feel like a board member (part of the "all" you mentioned) yet I haven't stated any opinion either way about Clay, the baby, Jaymes or Eric Roberts .( and yes I did know who he was). If you read a selection of posts made by the different people on this board I think you will find such a varied selection of opinions there is something for everyone. That keeps it interesting.

Ausdon thanks for being more mature than the only mod apparantly up :cryingwlaughter: Writes name in future mod book.

DianBauer - I know you're not a troll. You've lurked for a long time. Seems weird to me that that would be your first post...but maybe not your last. As for Eric Roberts, hell I've always liked him better than his sister (yep judgemental and opinionated am I) and my favorite Eric Roberts movie ever is probably Runaway Train. And he's in Heroes!!

Iseeme, I remember that as, "If wishes were horses, dreamers would ride."

And liney, that's one of the things I like most about staying up late. I'm disgustingly logical and realistic during the daylight hours ... but the later it gets the more I kick that to the curb. I didn't even know what schmoopie was until I came here ... and KAndre got schmoopie one night and then I understood the meaning of the word.

Regarding the appropriate age for pregnancy ... that was once a non-issue as it wasn't all that rare for a menopausal woman to conceive that "change of life baby." My aunt was pregnant at 49 and delivered at 50.

One of my favorite people in the world is Elizabeth Edwards. I'm not totally sure what her exact age was when either of her younger children were born, but she had to be about 50. The Edwards wanted more children and she probably had in vitro, but I don't know that for a fact.

Sometimes it just happens when you think it can't, and sometimes you make every effort in the world to make it happen ..... but it happens. It should still be a non-issue for anyone other than the parents.

And liney, that's one of the things I like most about staying up late. I'm disgustingly logical and realistic during the daylight hours ... but the later it gets the more I kick that to the curb. I didn't even know what schmoopie was until I came here ... and KAndre got schmoopie one night and then I understood the meaning of the word.

What! Did we save that post for posterity?

OMG, I'm such a huge Eric Roberts fan. I saw someone calling him a B lister today and my jaw dropped as that may be the only place they will give him work, but he is so talented and has had to pay for his mistakes forever. His story in some sense reminds me some of Clay's. Eric was the prodigy, he was the actor on a rocket to the stars. I've loved him since I saw him in Raggedy Man. Star 80, people hated him after that movie because his character was so sleazy and they couldn't differentiate the character from the actor. He was.that.good.

Nominated for Academy Award and such a buzz item right after, then so many poor choices, such a bright career down the tubes, then booze and brawls, his face busted up, his life a mess (not that I equate that part to Clay, but that is how Eric handled his slippery slope). I'm thrilled for him that he has been able to maintain a career and wish the industry would eventually forgive him which IMO they haven't really and just won't give him the break he dserves. I'm so proud he has turned his life around and was happy to see how well he and his wife spoke of Clay and Jaymes. I don't know why people are so quick to jump on him when after all these years we've seen how stories are spun and quotes are not really what they appear.

Gosh, I didn't realize how many people were feeling down about things. {{{Hugs to everyone who need them}}}

I wish things were better. But this is how things work. That world that Clay sings about in MGUCL? It doesn't exist. What we have is our world today. It isn't fair. Being good or deserving or working hard or being the "best" doesn't guarantee that things go your way. S**T happens. But here and there, sometimes good things come and if we keep chugging along, good will prevail. Babies are always nice because they help us remember what is good about everything. They bring joy and hope.

Each of us (including Clay) needs to find joy in ourselves (nope, nobody swallowed it). There's no one else who's going to provide this and so we need to take care of ourselves; what good does reading and responding to nasty stuff do? Nasty people will always exist, like cockroaches. Responding angrily to them will not change things. There are some good people out there and we need to surround ourselves with the right sort. Family, we can't choose, but we don't have to take cr*p from them either.

It's been a few days, and I wanted to quote this one again, especially the bolded part about responding angrily.

I've had plenty of friends and many wonderful experiences in my life, yet somewhere in the back of my head was a little voice saying where are my people, where are my people. I'm sure that sounds completely batshit crazy, but I've never felt that I've been around people who think like me and I've compromised and understood and been patient with the people in my life, like forever. Anyway, I found my people -- and what do you know, turns out they are Clay Aiken fans. This is something I realized before I ever met even one of you in person. It has nothing to do with traveling or going to concerts or any social thing ... I just found a group of supportive and giving and open-minded people and the glue is Clay Aiken. I needed this moment of self-disclosure. You are my people.

FINally!

I can't say that I never found my people before, but I sure lost them along the way somewhere until this fandom came along. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

[philosophical bent warning] I think that Clay, over the last five years, has exposed a lot of predjudice and judgement. He has also inspired a whole lot of love from a whole lot of people. I think that may be what part of his destiny is and I know that part of my destiny is to grow and change because of what I see in him, good and not so good. I am more accepting and more compassionate... because of him. More importantly, a lot of that acceptance and compassion is toward myself... because of him. Clay Aiken is not perfect and isn't going to do everything perfectly and since I'm not either, that's ok with me. [/philosophical bent]

I have experienced pure joy because of him and laughed more than in my whole life in the last five years... because of him and the people I have experienced thru him and his fandom.

Bottom line: I love and appreciate that man and what he has brought into my life. I wish him happiness in whatever form he choses. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I love this schmoopie post. I agree with you on the bolded part, although the cockroaches can still get to me. And I'm really not good at the towards myself part, but I love hearing it. Say it again at least weekly, OK?

One of my favorite people in the world is Elizabeth Edwards. I'm not totally sure what her exact age was when either of her younger children were born, but she had to be about 50. The Edwards wanted more children and she probably had in vitro, but I don't know that for a fact.

Sometimes it just happens when you think it can't, and sometimes you make every effort in the world to make it happen ..... but it happens. It should still be a non-issue for anyone other than the parents.

I love Elizabeth Edwards too, going way back to when they first came onto the political scene down here. When she first had those younguns, she got fat, she didn't fix herself up, and she didn't care about stuff like that, and she had this gorgous politician husband who obviously adored her. Spoke volumes about him to me. Now that I've had time to get to know her, I only admire her more.

Another Eric Roberts fan here. I looked on imdb and I couldn't find what part he played that so caught me but it was a long time ago. I've seen him over the years in various things, but I knew nothing about his troubles, just like there are probably a lot of people who never know about Clay's. I think the reaction towards him here today by some was based on a feeling that he and his wife might have violated Clay's and Jaymes' privacy by talking. Certainly none of Clay's "pals" who were quoted were really "pals," but the tone of the piece was positive and accepting, as were Mr. & Mrs. Roberts, so I'm happy about that.

Several have already made the point, so I won't belabor it, but not everyone here agrees about this whole situation--we just spent days arguing rather heatedly about it, so it's funny to be accused of group think. I think our newbie friend is probably just as upset as a lot of other fans about people's privacy being violated and them being picked on, and reacted in anger to this particular thing. {{{newbie friend}}} But it's important to realize that we don't all agree on things, don't all feel the same way or react the same way here, so we shouldn't be lumped together like that. Too bad the reaction was more of the same, but I forgive us. :cryingwlaughter:

Anyway, hang in there everybody. I wrote a schmoopie post too this weekend, which went in the pile cause it just wasn't working, but it was similar to liney's in its point, and she said it better--as did Scarlett. We help each other grow and be better people--Clay, and us, we're working on it. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I never got a dead mouse....... I feel cheated. :(

:cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter:

(Dammit I almost choked on my dinner. That'll teach me a lesson for looking at my computer monitor while I am eating instead of sitting at the dining table like a civilized person!!! :ready6: ).

For "you all" overnight newbies, um, welcome, I guess? Not sure. I might be in denial about that. Perhaps I shouldn't be hypocritical and speak badly of someone I know nothing about......

Morning! Thanks to those who sent good thoughts my way last night. :F_05BL17blowkiss: Storms were pretty bad all around us with several funnel clouds, but just LOTS of lightning, thunder and rain here. I thought that was good, but the weather people thought that was bad - HA! The calm in the storm, so to speak, is the prime area for tornado development. Was prepared to camp out in the bathroom overnight with the kitties, but it calmed down some by midnight so we went to bed. Now there are more storms moving in this morning. Ack!! :unsure:

Speaking of kitties, hope your little guy is feeling better, luckiest. I too have spent time and money at the emergency vet. Not fun. :hugs-1:

I am just happy a baby is coming into the world loved and wanted. I would save angst for babies who are not wanted or who are born into unhappy circumstances.

I think the snickering or whatever about this story will be over soon, just like everything else. Some people never change, I don't waste energy on them. Anyway, a denial, IMO, would just set off another wave of crap from the usual sleazebags. A new sound bite!!!! I am sure the sleazemedia is just slavering for a new sound bite.

Clay is not just marching to a different drummer, he has a whole new fabulous marching band!

Usual disclaimer - we don't know if this stuff is true or not - but I kinda find it disturbing that some consider Clay should have weighed fan opinion, sleazebag shithead opinion, and CD sales against creating a baby - and feel he should have decided against the baby. IMO, if this is true, he has his prioities quite in order.

Rose-colored glasses thingy - for much of my career, I was a QA tester - I tried to find all the things wrong with software, so it could be fixed.

Life is not like that. There is no checklist. I can't look at life as if there is a Business Requirements Document that has been entrusted to only meeee, and my job is to "correct" other people's lives to suit myself. I just am not authorised to even read, much less change to suit myself, other people's Customer Requirements, because they are not my customers, they are individuals with free will and no documentation requirements. Not my job.

OK, I do get tres pissy about people who use their own BRD to actually affect other people's lives. Yammer, ok, I guess, but some people go ahead and ACT on this stuff. Blargh.

Perhaps this is why we all have such varying disagreements, it is in some people's nature to evaluate things initially to see what they feel is wrong according to their own ideas of life, and others might just first say Oooh!! Cool! Is it actually hurting anyone? No? Then Oooh! Cool!

That is not any kind of morality statement, it is just what I have observed on fan boards and in real life. I don't think the rose-colored-glasses contingent is making a determined effort to see the happy because they think it is the Right and Moral Thing To Do, I think they might very well just be cheery by nature.

Anyone remember The Fucking Cheery Car? I had it moved to FCA and the bar is open 24/7, just clean up after yourselves, BYOB of whatever you like, and tipping is appreciated. I am researching what kind of snacks to offer - Cheez Doodles haz too much carbz. Mixers and ice are on the house.

KAndre, your tennis remarks made me laugh out loud! Thanks! I guess I am in the What on earth has he done now! car - I am enjoying the ride and the scenery.

I never got a dead mouse OR a tshirt. I can tell y'all, though, that Playbiller makes a most excellent tremendously tasty perfectly delicious lobster roll! So neener neener.

liney, to borrow a phrase from that old beer commercial -- I love you man!

ausdon, you are so....mature. *g* (Now you've had TWO people say that about you...)

One of the things I've seen here in the past 24 hours, and frankly throughout much of my past 5 years in this fandom is this: how people choose to look at things. I've seen people choose to look at this as hurting Clay's career, or adding to his "tabloid" reputation. I've also seen people look at this as a possible exciting way for Clay to expand his fanbase by one person. *g* It happens within the fandom too -- choosing to look at the postings of a few on a board and then making statements about that.

My choice? To try to keep an open mind, as much as possible. Sometimes, that last phrase doesn't work for me, but I can keep trying.

Amen.

Several have already made the point, so I won't belabor it, but not everyone here agrees about this whole situation--we just spent days arguing rather heatedly about it, so it's funny to be accused of group think. I think our newbie friend is probably just as upset as a lot of other fans about people's privacy being violated and them being picked on, and reacted in anger to this particular thing. {{{newbie friend}}} But it's important to realize that we don't all agree on things, don't all feel the same way or react the same way here, so we shouldn't be lumped together like that. Too bad the reaction was more of the same, but I forgive us. :cryingwlaughter:

Anyway, hang in there everybody. I wrote a schmoopie post too this weekend, which went in the pile cause it just wasn't working, but it was similar to liney's in its point, and she said it better--as did Scarlett. We help each other grow and be better people--Clay, and us, we're working on it. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

What she said...all of it....

Clay is not just marching to a different drummer, he has a whole new fabulous marching band!

Damn, is that a thread title or what?

Anyone remember The Fucking Cheery Car? I had it moved to FCA and the bar is open 24/7, just clean up after yourselves, BYOB of whatever you like, and tipping is appreciated. I am researching what kind of snacks to offer - Cheez Doodles haz too much carbz. Mixers and ice are on the house.

I hear KAndre likes those scallops wrapped in bacon... Me, I'll take chips and guacamole. (We can use the guac as facials too!)

luckiest, hope kitty is OK. Sorry to hear about your Clay fund too....

OK, see, this is what happens when you are only allowed to sit for limited periods of time....

And Clay in Cracker Barrel? Certainly not a stretch. <g>

HAH!! We don't have Cracker Barrels in Canada; and I suspect, even though there are lots in the US, that Clay reacts to a Cracker Barrel sign the same way I do when I see one....ie, jumping up and down in the seat and shrieking and pointing....I can SO see him being in a Cracker Barrel in Virginia! :cryingwlaughter:

So, I just spent a few hours at the after-hours emergency vet clinic.

Awww, crap!! :sorry: I've already seen your further post that said kitty is OK....so awww, crap!! Are we getting the feeling this Gala wasnt' meant to be for us two?? :hugs-1:

My other concern is that I personally dont' think a 50 year old woman should be getting pregnant. The risks are significant to her AND the baby. I only hope and pray the child is born healthy.

I don't know what Clay and Jaymes' relationship is. I don't think Clay would make a decision like this without careful thought and care. It's not what I would have wished for him - someone who has talked about being a father and having a family. But then he hasn't consulted me lately on any of his decisions.

And to all of my posts re the baby, please everyone just insert the "IF TRUE...." cause I'm tired as hell of typing it....Thanks!!

So~iseeme, I completely understand your concern; but, as others have said, Jaymes' age doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the health of the baby. It can; it can not. My Downs BIL was born when my much-loved MIL was 34.

And having said that.....I am SO not a religious person....but, I strongly believe that IF it is God's will that this baby NOT be healthy; can you IMAGINE a better person to be its father than Clay?? Lord, what a great choice you made, in that case!

Re "someone who has talked about being a father and having a family"....I'm confused....isn't that what he's doing???

ChaCha no matter what all is true about this story I think we ALL wish Jaymes a healthy baby!

Yes. Definitely.

No pardoning needed from this corner! Loved it, completely there with you!

Perhaps this is why we all have such varying disagreements, it is in some people's nature to evaluate things initially to see what they feel is wrong according to their own ideas of life, and others might just first say Oooh!! Cool! Is it actually hurting anyone? No? Then Oooh! Cool!That is not any kind of morality statement, it is just what I have observed on fan boards and in real life. I don't think the rose-colored-glasses contingent is making a determined effort to see the happy because they think it is the Right and Moral Thing To Do, I think they might very well just be cheery by nature.

OMG!!! Someone who finally understands me!!! Are you single??? :hubbahubba:

canfly re the driving....my spathyfillium can't drive either...and that's the only "us" there is in this house...unless you're volunteering to fly up and drive me? :lol: Gawd, I would LOVE that!

Yes, thread title! :clap:

I saw a T shirt (or emoticon or something) recently that said:

I march to the beat of my own accordion.

I have adopted it as my own motto.