#34: So, how about that Clay Aiken?

Ansamcw

Thread Title  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• You mean, it?s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?
    • But I swear I tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • Tulibu dibu douchou
    • Until he starts singing with it though, it's a non-issue for me.
    • I guess I'll stay a Clay fan as imperfect as he is just because I'm imperfect too and he sings so good.
    • IF IF IF IF IF
    • IF IF IF IF IF uh
    • Clay is not just marching to a different drummer, he has a whole new fabulous marching band!
    • I'd still be a fan of anything else he may sprinkle his magic on.

Iseeme...I do agree that I think it would be better if they make some statement about this. I still think they will but I personally am willing to wait for it. With this event that he was on...I can see him wanting to just concentrate on preparing for this. This is not some insignificant thing and he sang a song he never did before, I can see him wanting to put aside the stress of dealing with this story as he prepare for this performance.

I also agree with JennaZ when she said that maybe they were taken unaware by the leaking of this story and right now they are still deciding on how to handle this. I really don;t know why people are so unwilling to wait for them to make a statement...why do people think they have to do it NOW? Its not like our personal lives are involved in this. I don't think they are taking away anything from us by taking their time on this. I do believe they will speak up, eventually.

As I said earlier...I am most concerned about Jaymes at the moment because this can;t be an easy time for her. Because of her age, this would be considered a high risk pregnancy and stress should be kept minimal. I have a feeling the family and everyone is keeping her quiet and trying to keep her stress level down so the fandom is not their top priority. I think that nothing will be said about this until Clay and Jaymes can sit down and figure it out and when they are ready, we will know. Now that we know what Clay was busy with this last few days...the silence makes more sense to me.

Ahh Play - whatever!!!! You did exactly what I figured you or someone else would do/say/maintain. I'm not looking to make people agree with me. I'm venting because I'm unhappy and confused. I got an email from a friend a few minutes ago and I'm going to quote her. I think maybe she's summing it up better than I did:

But if they weren't secretive about it - no matter whether or not it's anyone's business - the media wouldn't be so interested. If they keep silent, that baby will have cameras following him/her around for awhile, to get a glimpse, to see if there's red hair, freckles, etc.

And on that note. I'm finished. I don't care if anyone agrees with me, feels the same way I do, or gives a rat's patootie. I think this whole thing is weird, sensationalistic, and ill-conceived (oops, no pun intended there!) It could have been handled in a much better manner for ALL concerned....including Jaymes and the little one! As for how it got leaked.....the one thing I did read was the first TMZ blurb where they quoted the Foster family rep as announcing she was pregnant, Clay was the father, and the baby was due in August!!!

Of course, do we even have reliable confirmation that Jaymes is actually pregnant? If she is and she is a high risk pregnancy, I would think she would know better than to keep going over to the OFC to read!

Now that is high risk!

ETA: Welcome to my world of the last couple of days, Iseeme!

We all want different things. Me? I want to hear him sing "Once Upon A Dream" (the Wildhorn J&H version, not Disney SB) and TITM with the bridge and an a full orchestra.

laughn....this is hilarious!

I hear Jaymes got lucky, maybe we will too
If only! (That is, if the first part IS true...heh.... :unsure:)

What I'm looking at in that one Getty Image pic is how freakin' wide his chest looks in that tux :hubbahubba: ...Gawd. His shoulders seem immense...

And Clay and I have a cun.neck.shun! Maya Angelou was a visiting/honorary poet at my university when I was there! I hope this event WILL be broadcast some time in the future...

With him being in DC tonight, there's a bigger chance, IMO, that he will go to the private award reception for the Broadway honors, don't you think? :lilredani: I hope he does and has a blast!

I respionded to a post that you put out there disagreeing, it is a simple thing. I do take privacy very seriously and I do have a lot of patience, maybe too much.

I also disagree withyour friend, any response will keep the story going longer. it is a recognizable pattern in the media.Pretty much any response will be spun in the most negative way. I can wait with that on the horizon.

Well, I do not believe this reflects clay's political beliefs, Maya Angelou was working for Hillary.

Aren't you all glad I only was in lurkdom a short time???

Don't worry. I promised myself if I feel my blood pressure start to rise I will go right back in - for everyone's sake!

But, I really do not know why it is so important to differentiate between artificial insemination and in vitro fertilization. In both scenarios conception did not happen "the old fashion" way and in both scenarios it meant Clay (IF this is even true) was in a room with magazines, a cup and his hands.

Which I believe is the whole reason for this breaking news. True or not, does anyone think there would be nearly this much interest if Clay was going to be a father under what most would consider more "normal" circumstances? Nope. The sensational aspect of this rumor is the artificial insemination angle (or IVF but I doubt TMZ cares about the difference). And I believe that the whole reason that has been the most important and emphasized slant to the story is because it feeds right into the "he's gay" theories held by so many. That makes it much more juicy and sensational than if he were in love with someone in his age bracket and was expecting a baby conceived the old fashion way. How boring would that be!

I do disagree with this. Most of the headlines that I saw was talking about Clay being a daddy. If AI part was the big story then that would be the most prominent headline. The detail that was getting the most attention IMO is the fact that he is having it with an older woman. I really do think this story became huge because of Clay and the older woman angle.

But, I really do not know why it is so important to differentiate between artificial insemination and in vitro fertilization. In both scenarios conception did not happen "the old fashion" way and in both scenarios it meant Clay (IF this is even true) was in a room with magazines, a cup and his hands.

It's an important distinction to me for two reasons.

1) I hate shoddy journalism and it ticks me off (of course I'm assuming) that people are too lazy to look up info/verify facts.

2) AI is usually for low sperm count or low healthy sperm count. IVF is more often for problems with the woman not being able to conceive. If indeed some fertility procedure was necessary to help out Jaymes, then TO ME IVF just makes more sense medically, therefore the AI seems to be more of a slam against Clay, using it to prove he can't do it the old-fashioned way, as you put it.

That's all. I think that's one of the reasons the story is so weird! Why bring up manner of conception unless it's to insult Clay's manhood?

And another reason for the silence, IMO. If Jaymes has had trouble, then that's an emotionally charged situation. Fear of sharing the news in case it doesn't work, the possibility of having to try several times, which is not uncommon, multiple births and their inherent added birthing dangers. Just more stress on the woman trying to have a baby.

Now I really am going to bed.

Someone asked about AI vs IVF

If a woman can still produce eggs, they will use AI. If the problem has to do with no eggs or other female problems in the tubes, etc, (adhesions) then IVF would be preferred. However, her age is not preferred for AI. :PickMe-1: Hope this helps.

You know - the media is just like a bully....except if you ignore them they DON'T go away. Just since I've been home the focus hasn't been on Clay and an older woman...it's the whole Clay is gay and fathered a child in an unconventional way - whether it was a paper cup, a test tube or a turkey baster doesn't make any difference.

IF it was just Clay and an older woman it wouldn't be such a salacious (like that word!) media shark frenzy. It's the whole idea that they have their mind made up as to who and what he is and they're tying it all in because it's a good story. No matter what happens you can bet it will ALWAYS be mentioned from here on out. If they come forward and announce who the real BabyDaddy is (if it isn't Clay) nobody will remember it because they didn't come forward right away and laugh it off. As for privacy -I have always been a big supporter of Clay's privacy....but as I said before...this flunks the privacy test in my mind. Don't care if anyone agrees or not! He's not so special that he gets a free pass to privacy - how many other celebrities get that kind of pass unless they've either been around so long nobody cares or their 15 minutes is up. I don't care what his favorite color is, what he eats for breakfast, whether he wears briefs or boxers, where he goes on vacation, etc. but I DO care if he's fathered a child. That's a titch bigger than normal privacy issues.

I don't believe for a minute it's going to die because they don't say anything. It certainly didn't work with the gay rumors, did it?

I said I was finished and here I am back again. Guess I need to logoff.

Goodnight all.

Ahh Play - whatever!!!! You did exactly what I figured you or someone else would do/say/maintain. I'm not looking to make people agree with me. I'm venting because I'm unhappy and confused. I got an email from a friend a few minutes ago and I'm going to quote her. I think maybe she's summing it up better than I did:

But if they weren't secretive about it - no matter whether or not it's anyone's business - the media wouldn't be so interested. If they keep silent, that baby will have cameras following him/her around for awhile, to get a glimpse, to see if there's red hair, freckles, etc.

And on that note. I'm finished. I don't care if anyone agrees with me, feels the same way I do, or gives a rat's patootie. I think this whole thing is weird, sensationalistic, and ill-conceived (oops, no pun intended there!) It could have been handled in a much better manner for ALL concerned....including Jaymes and the little one! As for how it got leaked.....the one thing I did read was the first TMZ blurb where they quoted the Foster family rep as announcing she was pregnant, Clay was the father, and the baby was due in August!!!

Iseeme...we were on the board when this whole thing developed and broke out. The original TMZ report just said multiple sources told TMZ that they were having a baby. At this point most everyone on this board was just laughing about this because no one was taking TMZ seriously.

THEN People magazine got hold of a rep fo David Foster...who confirmed that Jaymes is indeed pregnant and having a baby in august and clay is the father. That is when we started seeing it spread like wild fire on a lot of the entertainment news sites like ET and on to legit news. SO...this was not an announced thing. This was not planned.

The denial that came from the EX sister in law only came from one article from a canadian paper and as far as I know that was the only article that said the Rep retracted and asked People to take back the story. Since...no retraction was given by people and another story about Claymates support came out.

SO at this point...I think the only mistake made was Davids rep opening his mouth to confirm in the first place. At this point no one in clay and Jaymes camp is speaking. That does not mean they will never talk about it. I think its pretty premature to worry about the baby at this point.

CG....we don;t know if its only Jaymes that uses the Clayandr SN...unless you know that she was actually there reading...we do not know what she is doing. At this point I do think she is pregnant cos both stories did confirm this detail.

Clay and Hannah could get their freak on on the Shubert stage and he would still get derided all over the net for impregnanting someone because small, mean, nasty people exsit. Guess what...I haven't been saying poor widdle Clay cuz I have yet to see all this dirision. The few articles that I've read just weren't that bad..they had great pictures for the most part and had funny catchy headlines. I don't bother with blogs and comment sections because people with small brains hang out there.

I don't understand why he has to say something right now other than to soothe fans who are upset. If HE is concerned over what he sees in his google alerts he'll do something about it. They might both be laughing their ass off. Or maybe they have a statement in the works. Jaymes might not even be pregnant - the only reason I half believe that is the Canadian article...but am not familiar with that paper and don't know if it's a tabloid or considered reputable..but hell what's reputable these days. Clay would have had to issue a statement the day after conception to insure it got out his way and what would that have given him...6 less months of peace.

I'm not going to angst over this story cuz 1. who knows if it's true 2. if it is, it's his life and he made a choice that he felt was right for him and who am I to think it's not.

This post brought to you by the word IF.

ETA: see..I can be so crass..editing editing editing

I suppose we all do care whether Clay's fathered a child or not. But caring about it, from our perspective, still doesn't mean we're entitled to an answer, imo. Besides...in the long run, this is the kind of thing where if you wait enough, the answer will reveal itself. I think by this time next year, at the latest, we'll know if Jaymes had a baby and whether Clay is the father.

Clay looked mighty serious and tired to me in the pics. Gorgeous but somewhat weary. Maybe I'm just projecting...

We are all entitled to privacy...celebrities or no celebrity. If Clay does not want to speak about this that is his prerogative. NOW the fans response ...that is up to every individual. If people are angry with it...then you are...Clay is not responsible for your feelings and he does not have to make you feel better. If the fans want to stop supporting him...then stop...that is your choice as it is Clay' s choice to speak or not.

My personal stand...I think he should speak about it eventually...but that is up to him and Jaymes and I will totally support his right to keep quiet if he wants.

Well, I do not believe this reflects clay's political beliefs, Maya Angelou was working for Hillary.

Ruby Dee is an Obama supporter, so I guess everybody was represented tonight!

About this being broadcast on the Fourth of July ... I sincerely hope and pray that this gets broadcast as part of the annual "An American Celebration at Ford's Theater" shown on the Fourth of July. Just googling, I see that the Fourth program in 2006 had nothing to do with the Ford's Theater Lincoln Medal program, which is an annual event. Here's hoping because this is June 1 already, that the timing indicates they will be one and the same event this year. Otherwise, we could see it on PBS, A&E, BET or somewhere out there on cable.

From the Ford Theater website:

What is the Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medal?

The Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medal is an annual award given by Ford’s Theatre to individuals who, through their body of work, accomplishments or personal attributes exemplify the lasting legacy, and mettle of character embodied by the most beloved President in our Nation’s history, President Abraham Lincoln.

When and where is it awarded?

Traditionally, the Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medal is given to recipients at the Ford’s Theatre benefit held annually in the theatre where President Abraham Lincoln was shot on April 14, 1865.

What are the criteria used to select recipients?

Recipients of Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medals should illuminate or reflect Lincoln’s legacy of leadership, service, humanity, wisdom, eloquence and vision in their body of work, accomplishments or personal attributes. As Ford’s Theatre serves as a connection point and reminder of Lincoln’s legacy, so must the recipients of Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medals, helping us understand the beloved 16th President’s lasting impact in a contemporary light, and how it continues to inspire generations of Americans.

Who selects the recipients?

The Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees of Ford’s Theatre Society evaluates and determines who will receive Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medals.

What does the medal look like?

Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medals are sterling silver circular medals that are two and half inches in diameter. On one side is a raised profile of President Abraham Lincoln with his name, birth and death dates, February 12, 1809, to April 15, 1865. On the reverse side is a raised illustration of Ford’s Theatre and its date of establishment, 1863.

Why and when was it established?

Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medals were first established to recognize individuals whose contributions to the life of Ford’s Theatre had a profound impact on the institution and its mission. The first Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medal was awarded in 1981 to North Dakota Senator Milton Young, who introduced legislation to renovate and refurbish Ford’s Theatre.

Beginning last year and continuing through the Bicentennial in 2009, Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medals will be awarded to those whose work has illuminated President Abraham Lincoln’s life, legacy and death in unparalleled ways through scholarship or support of the institution.

Who are the past Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medal winners?

Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medals were first established to recognize individuals whose contributions to the life of Ford’s Theatre had a profound impact on the institution and its mission. The first Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medal was awarded in 1981 to North Dakota Senator Milton Young, who introduced legislation to renovate and refurbish Ford’s Theatre. Other recipients have included First Ladies Laura Bush, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan, and Lady Bird Johnson; Doris Kearns Goodwin; Nicholas D. Chabraja, Chairman and CEO of General Dynamics; Robert Iger, President and CEO of the Walt Disney Company; Carl Lindner, Chairman and CEO of American Financial Group; actor James Whitmore; and the Honorable Stewart Udall, former Secretary of the Interior.

Click here for a list of past Lincoln Medal Recipients.

610x.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! My post got tucked in at the bottom of the last page....like I said, "So how about that Clay Aiken? He's lookin' good, ain't he?" :hubbahubba:

(Thanks, Thankful.. :F_05BL17blowkiss: )

ETA: interesting about the stubble---you'd think he might be clean shaven for such an event. Hmmm...hey! Maybe he's growing another beard for his UNICEF trip again! :cryingwlaughter:

I watched the Broadway Cares DVD and it is so worth the money (although I am hoping it will be ripped because that is a lot of money to pay for one song and I know everyone can't afford it). First of all, it is IMO his best duet ever. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I love it because first of all the audience noise is muffled so you really can hear the song loud and clear. It's really a thing of beauty and they both looked fabulous. I love me some Hannah. She's a goddess. heee. Excuse me while I go cry in my soup over the Clannah. Oh wait... this baby stuff is probably not true. Long live the Clannah! Bwah! heee.

610x.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! My post got tucked in at the bottom of the last page....like I said, "So how about that Clay Aiken? He's lookin' good, ain't he?" :hubbahubba:

(Thanks, Thankful.. :F_05BL17blowkiss: )

YUP he is lookin mighty fine!!!!

GAH I want to hear him sing Sarah...watched the youtube of this song..its very dramatic...and touching...

I watched the Broadway Cares DVD and it is so worth the money (although I am hoping it will be ripped because that is a lot of money to pay for one song and I know everyone can't afford it). First of all, it is IMO his best duet he ever did. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I love it because first of all the audience noise is muffled so you really can hear the song loud and clear. It's really a thing of beauty and they both looked fabulous. I love me some Hannah.

This is my favorite duet ever and the one that showed me he truly is a Broadway star.... I want to see it too!!!!

This is the link I'm working off, kf: President and Mrs. Bush Attend Annual Ford's Theatre Gala (White House.gov)

President George W. Bush and Mrs. Laura Bush are joined on stage by the cast of entertainers performing at the annual Ford's Theater gala to benefit the historic theater. The program, "An American Celebration at Ford's Theater," will be televised on July 4, 2006. White House photo by Kimberlee Hewitt

From your post:

What is the Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medal?

The Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medal is an annual award given by Ford’s Theatre to individuals who, through their body of work, accomplishments or personal attributes exemplify the lasting legacy, and mettle of character embodied by the most beloved President in our Nation’s history, President Abraham Lincoln.

When and where is it awarded?

Traditionally, the Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medal is given to recipients at the Ford’s Theatre benefit held annually in the theatre where President Abraham Lincoln was shot on April 14, 1865.

Same event, I'm pretty sure.

I read someplace other than the Canadian article - though I do not remember where - that the Foster rep had retracted the statement and I also read that the person it was attributed to had not actually been the one who had given that statement. Now, who knows if any of that is true because who knows what parts - if any - of this story are true. However, I got the distinct impression that it was likely someone gave the statement and said they were a rep of DF when in fact they were not.

I also heard that the ex-sister in law is a friend of Jaymes' and they still work together on certain projects and in fact she still is friendly with DF. That to me gives her a hell of a lot more credibility than the unnamed multiple sources at TMZ. Just because People didn't mention the statement had been retracted doesn't mean it wasn't and just because they had "Claymates" comment on the story doesn't mean it was good PR.

I also agree with Iseeme that the vast majority of comments and reports I have heard have mentioned BOTH Jaymes age and the AI. The one my mother heard on our local ABC affiliate mentioned he had donated sperm. I have yet to hear one report where the alleged method of conception was not mentioned. That has also been the laughing point by those making fun of the situation. I think that's the whole reason TMZ made sure to mention it when they broke the alleged story. From the first time I read what TMZ said I knew what the angle was and why. It was very obvious to me.

I also disagree about them needing to decide how to respond if the reports are true. I think there would only be one way to respond and that would be with a happy statement from Clay and Jaymes. They do not and should not address the method of conception - as that is no one's business. But if they just issued a statement saying they are pleased to confirm the rumors that they are expecting a baby and that they are very excited and happy and that they hope everyone will share in their happiness and respect their privacy at this most joyous time in their lives, then that would be that. Sure, the asshats would still have their field day, but I think it would be harder for some to keep after the "dirt" on this story once it has been acknowledged. Its a slippery slope to harass a pregnant woman and once the general public sees them as happy, expectant parents, the rest won't seem as important, nor as tolerated. And IMO I think this should be done sooner than later to be effective.

Now, I do agree that if this story is NOT true, then it is likely they are either evaluating the best way to handle it or they will just ignore. The thing is, assuming Jaymes is actually pregnant, no matter what they say, even if another father came forward (and it is possible there is no "father" as she could have used an anonymous donor), there will always be some who believe Clay is the father and will still believe he is gay and that he beat the small children in Sewell and any other nasty rumor that has been dreamed up.

I guess I just don't see what the problem is with them issuing a simple, happy statement IF this story is true. I believe it would be the sensible thing to do and I truly believe it would be their best course of action - IF its true.

Now I am done - or at least I am planning to be done, but I was planning to be done before and obviously I wasn't! :rolleyes: I personally hope to be able to not talk about this subject again until and unless TC/Foster make a statement. I am not making any promises, but I will try. It has truly come to the point where the poor horse is hurt and dying and I love animals too much to continue beating it when its down! :Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius:

I would love to know all the answers to put my curiosity at rest, but I recall Clay saying early in his career that people have a right to be curious but not to know. He seems to live by that, and I completely respect his right to say or not say whatever the hell he chooses about his personal life.

I'm just hoping for Clack from tonight.