#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

heh

I just watched both the referenced IWTKWLI videos.

Had to serach for Orlando.

if anyone else wants to watch the Orlando one.

I was there and I never noticed Clay pointing to Angie and Quiana on Heartache and Pain! :cryingwlaughter:

Funny man!

sheiladownunder, the DVD is out there, it's the Back in the U.S. Concert Film. Worth every penny - hell, I'd pay a premium. And I always get a lump when they show the middle-aged man choking back tears during All My Loving.

I need to go find it then. I just went out and found the Easter Bonnet DVD in my mailbox, I'm so excited.

I'm feel postwhorish tonight. OOooommmmmm feels good.

Just recalling that when I saw Wings Over America (at one of the first events in The Summit, which is now Lakewood Church!) my hubby and I went with another couple, neighbors. Diane and I both loved Paul McCartney, but our husbands didn't. I had really fucked up and married this guy who didn't like the bulk of the music I adored -- unfortunately he was way too cool for my music passions. Anyway, Mike and Gary spent most of Wings Over America either standing in the beer line, or peeing. Diane and I did not care. Because it was PAUL, for God's sake. Or it was Stephen Stills (because we saw CSN with this couple, too). Anyway, the bands our hubbys liked, you don't know 'em. They faded away. They sucked. They were cool.

And this, my dear sisters, is one of the reasons I want to explode when I read about some of us feeling ashamed of our ages, that we're not 22 and hot, etc. etc. et al. We are the women that loved the musicians and singers and bands who became the legends of today, and whose music is classic, and we loved them when they weren't cool. I know there are many who think The Beatles were always cool. But I know that I personally took shit about it in Texas -- and must have heard 1,000 times .... oooh, you like those fags? Anyway, it was the WOMEN, the CHICKS who were the first to pick up on, and fall in love with, the music that has endured and will live on.

When the "dudes" think Clay's not cool, and their "old ladies" agree because they're down with what the foxy dude thinks is cool ..... hey, I've seen that show. They go drifting into oblivion on the cool boat. I was never intimidated by it. In fact, if history tells me anything, it is that being first accepted and adored by females, and especially the same damn females who recognized the giants of our generation, that's a hell of a positive indicator for Clay Aiken. I think it's high-time we weren't so intimidated as fans by what the "cool dudes" think about us. They've been wrong, all along. They ain't shit.

And this, my dear sisters, is one of the reasons I want to explode when I read about some of us feeling ashamed of our ages, that we're not 22 and hot, etc. etc. et al. We are the women that loved the musicians and singers and bands who became the legends of today, and whose music is classic, and we loved them when they weren't cool. I know there are many who think The Beatles were always cool. But I know that I personally took shit about it in Texas -- and must have heard 1,000 times .... oooh, you like those fags? Anyway, it was the WOMEN, the CHICKS who were the first to pick up on, and fall in love with, the music that has endured and will live on.

When the "dudes" think Clay's not cool, and their "old ladies" agree because they're down with what the foxy dude thinks is cool ..... hey, I've seen that show. They go drifting into oblivion on the cool boat. I was never intimidated by it. In fact, if history tells me anything, it is that being first accepted and adored by females, and especially the same damn females who recognized the giants of our generation, that's a hell of an positive indicator for Clay Aiken. I think it's high-time we weren't so intimidated as fans by what the "cool dudes" think about us. They've been wrong, all along. They ain't shit.

I love this! :F_05BL17blowkiss: :clap::clap:

Great post, keepingfaith!

But I've never worried about anybody who thinks my Clay fandom - or my

Clay, for that matter - is not cool.

Hey! I wore SOCKS in 8th grade when it was NOT COOL to wear anything but Weejuns and pantyhose!

post-1474-1214094076_thumb.jpg

Holy Crap!

LAA Houston

ETA:

Permaswooned! How do you and toni and secretly survive being close enough to Clay to get pics like you do??!!!

Seriously. That is one more good lookin' man!!!

And so sexy singing LAA!

:cryingwlaughter: I'm watching the Houston LAA youtube and at about 2:09, you can hear a woman whisper, "JE-sus!"

Which one of you was it?!!

:cryingwlaughter:

I'm watching the Houston LAA youtube and at 2:10, you can hear a woman whisper, "JE-sus!"

I think there were a lot of us at that concert were whispering more than Je-sus...more like whimpering OMG over & over!! I'll never know how I survived the front row. That man is lethal!

Yeah. You can hear a few moans before he even starts!

I was there, but not lucky enough to be anywhere close!

The sound that night was JUST. NOT. GOOD.

Demmit!

ETA:

Was that the first time we heard it live?

He didn't sing it at Frisco, did he?

Good evening....back from a full day of zooming all over the county! We're having severe thunderstorms now and a smattering of rain - so far no lighting. I flove thunder!!!! My furbrats are under the bed though.... :cryingwlaughter:

Not ashamed of my age - mostly because I still think I haven't grown up completely - hee! And not ashamed of being a Clay fan.

Have company still but can't wait to watch the vids y'all are posting.

Just checking in - was hoping for a blog or something. Would settle for a FromClaygary bracelet with BLOG all over it!!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I don't see Gibby or Perma online, but maybe they'll see this later. Or maybe someone else can answer.

But, at about 4:48 in the secretlylovesclay Houston LAA, a thin, high harmony line comes in over Clay and the cello. I've been trying to figure out what instrument it is. I guess it's keyboard, but just wondering if anyone knows. I love it!

I have a LAA story, but I guess LAA has been discussed for a year and a half and people are talked out about LAA.

ETA:

I see Perma - down b'low! heh

I gave up on quoting all the 50 or so posts I tried this morning, but just wanted to say thanks to everyone who had the patience to scan through songs for their top 3 (or 5 or 10 or 100). Nice to re-discover old favorites that had been tucked away for some time.

Fear, I have "fond" memories of Guantanamera. It was the song my cousins attempted to teach me guitar on (bec. it only had a handful of chords), messed it up anyway, tried "Jamaica Farewell" because it had 3 very easy ones (is it A, D, Em?), gave up on that one too and finally resigned myself to not ever playing.

Iseeme, hadn't listened to "We're All Alone" in forever! I used to play it everyday. Thanks for bringing it back.

claytonic, thanks for bringing up Imagine. Let's be the John Lennon sub-group in FCA?

FromClaygary, what beautiful bracelets!!! I found some Japanese beads at a good price at the IQF last year. Perhaps you can plan a visit this time?

That was hard. I reserve the right to come back in ten minutes and change them all.
Yay for your boat/ship coming in! Yes, anyone could change them -- that was the trick. Name a set of 3 and then 15 minutes later name 3 again.

Still fulfills the part about "and the number of the counting shall be..... 3" :)

Will NEVER understand why Buble and Groban are acceptable but Aiken isn't! One of life's mysterys.

My theories - Buble and Groban are pretty much bland and boring.

Buble and Groban pretty much stay in their safe predictable boxes.

Buble and Groban likely never get asked the questions which bring the snapped responses.

Buble and Groban would prolly have to PAY to become controversial.

ITA and I have more on this, but will post it separately. Soooo... when can we visit Scarlett-2? /jk

All is Well, Merrillville 2006 version -- chills. That was an amazing night.
Too bad KAndre never heard it....

Ok, I think I've teased her enough... Here's the mp3 and the xvid. Didn't take out the red lightning because that's what the stage looked like that night. I can "fix" it if it bothers folk. This was the first thing I rendered in along time and it took forever because my computer was set up all wrong, I had to change a video card, reload some drivers and filters.

Laughn, you're next -- at what part of the show did you read your story in Cleveland, ie. which songs were sung before and after? Thx!

Clay:

My Grown-up Christmas List from GMA

Unchained Melody - Toledo/Foster Gala

When Doves Cry - Miami

Told you I was a dirty rotten cover lover!! Honorable mention to Perfect Day, Lover All Alone, I Can't Make You Love Me, Suspicious Minds, I Know How the River Feels, Rosanna, the whole album OMWH, Everything You Go Away, Broken Wings, and more more more!!!!

Oooh, can I be a dirty cover lover with you?!!

Favourite Clay songs:

If you don't know my by now - I hope we get to hear that one in concert sometime!

As long as we're here - Love the message in that song. Love the celtic sound and I still get emotional when I play it.

Oh Holy night - 'waves' to Luckiest1 !

Non Clay songs:

Hallelujah - KD Lang,

The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel

Boys of Summer- Don Henley

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's responses!

heinz, I think I could match you 5 out of 6 on any given day. And I've really enjoyed everyone's responses too!

and

ALWAYS

Amazing Grace!

Hoping to hear that from someone!

ETA: Ooooooo - this was my 1,000th post! Next one takes me from managing Clay's person to "Executive Producer"... a title that now carries with it a whole new meaning... IIT, IIU, AATJ, etc. ;)
Congratulations!!! Keep up the er, production!

Also *waves* to Jazzgirl!
*waves* to jazzgirl too!

I'll go against the tide and say..if I could be 13 again heee...I'd do it in a hot minute even without knowing what I know now... I think I prefer my decade of growing up though. It's amazing the difference... 5 year olds can work a computer like it's nothing... hell my 8 year old nephew can worked the darn TV/all the extra shit you need these days just to run a TV better than I can. That a change.
*high-fives Couchie* Yes, 13 was fun for me too!

Permaswooned, thanks so much for the YouTubes!!! I'm enjoying all the links and stories. We've sat together on quite a few of these, haven't wee? I think I always ended up right in front of your family. :)

Muski, I hope things are going well with Carrie!

laljeterfan, If I don't already match your 6, I will soon! Those were some nice YouTubes; Thanks for the links!

I have always heard RUN TO ME as a song about a man falling in love with a woman in or recovering from an abusive relationship. I may be alone in that. I have loved it from the first snippet. Remember those 5 snippets?!

I hate he didn't keep singing that one. Right? He took it out of the show. I think it was a difficult range to do routinely, IIRC.

Cotton, I think he sang it at all the NAT "full shows" and some IT. Love the way that song showcases his range!

ETA: I uploadedthe Merrillville files to CH/CU vault before posting so if you need the small/large wmv's they should be up "soon".

and

ALWAYS

Amazing Grace!

Hoping to hear that from someone!

<snip>

Cotton, I think he sang it at all the NAT "full shows" and some IT. Love the way that song showcases his range!

Oh, yeah. I'd love to hear "someone" sing Amazing Grace, too!!

And, thanks for the Run to Me info. My memory SUCKS! *g*

I love the song to bits!

I'm so bored that I'm actually watching this Disney "Camp Rock" movie dealie. The lead Jonas Brother kid is making me pine for the subtle Cockney charms of Davey Jones. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a Disney-branded feature is at heart so corporate and soul-less and cynically preachy. Blech! :rolleyes:

I love this video from the bottom of my heart, and wouldn't give anything for my DVD of the 2002 tour .... this he did for Linda. (But on the MIA part, I think it's Abe that does it for me. I love to watch him):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abopwVAoGh0

These two videos couldn't be separated by me -- so, here it is, with Linda. (God, I love it and vividly recall this concert in 1976! But, alas, no Abe. Of course, how old was Abe then?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkAuBGyQVG4...feature=related

ETA: I know nobody cares, but Jimmy McCulloch played a legendary guitar solo for Wings in this one, and he also played lead guitar in another song that was my favorite at a different time and place ... (Call out the instigators, 'cause there's) Something In The Air -- when he was in Thunderclap Newman.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! I was there!!! Twice!! In DC!!! Thirteenth row Baybee!!! Paul is my first love......... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

My theories - Buble and Groban are pretty much bland and boring.

Buble and Groban pretty much stay in their safe predictable boxes.

Buble and Groban likely never get asked the questions which bring the snapped responses.

Buble and Groban would prolly have to PAY to become controversial.

I just want to state that I do not think of these things as put-downs.

To me, they are just facts - for instance, I doubt I will ever hear a Buble or Groban-slam joke out of Leno or O'Brian or Ferguson.

There is nothing to work with. This has nothing to do with their voices at all.

ITA and I have more on this, but will post it separately. Soooo... when can we visit Scarlett-2? /jk

If I get a job (send good thoughts, I might get an interview next week, it has been a loooong time) - the Fall would be fun, it is a bit cooler here.

I always have room, if anyone is coming to Tampa!

I'm so bored that I'm actually watching this Disney "Camp Rock" movie dealie. The lead Jonas Brother kid is making me pine for the subtle Cockney charms of Davey Jones. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a Disney-branded feature is at heart so corporate and soul-less and cynically preachy. Blech

Got ya beat - I watched Mobile Home Disaster today.

I found it quite charming. These people really DO need help, and the host is funny too!

I'M BACK ON-LINE

Now that I can post without having to do it in the window of the appearing and disappearing (stolen) connection.

Muski - I may have offended you with my comment on parents signing up for the issues with children. We all sign up for all thngs - Parents probably have one of tghe hardest jobs ever, they are responsible for souls, as well as bodies. It is a tough job, but you are responsible enough to know what you have to do. The second part about people pleasoing was my way of indicating that sometimes kids act out out of love not just to give parents a hard time. It is just love thorguh a childs eyes, not that asame thing adults see.

I never got to comment on Everything I don't need. Clay manages to infuse a rock ish bluesyish song with his excellent vocals and I just don't ever skip it - but then again, I have yet to find a song I skip;

As a note - I found someone else who heard "hung her children that she could not feed" So there is at least one more person as hearing impaired as me. Ha!

Now I have an assignment to read all DJS's movie reviews, even though I rarely go to movies.

I'm toast! Had a very long day in horrid heat, but was basically the lucky one since I was holding a big-assed umbrella the whole time, and our softball team was out on the dusty, scorching field for three games between 8 am and 2:45 pm! We lost one, won one and tied one...play again tomorrow at 10:30. If we win we keep on until we lose. If we lose, we go home.

It was fuckin' HOT! Good thing those 13 year olds were 13 years old and could survive! :cryingwlaughter:

Oh...on the way to the tournament I was telling hubby about how we've been coming up with three non-Clay songs...and how we've been struggling. He sympathized and agreed that would be hard.

Then about two minutes later he said, "Okay. Number one would need to be some James Talyor song---How about "Fire and Rain"? Number two? Hmmm...I'll go with "Willin'" by Little Feat. And then "Europa" by Santana. :huh:

Just like that. Three. Done. Movin' on.

Isn't that just like a man? :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to settle on mine. Haven't even TRIED to figure out the 3 Clay songs.

I watched that Nessun Dorma with the rock singers and Pavarotti...I was really impressed by Michael Bolton. He sounded damned good. I'd LOVE to hear Clay try that, wouldn't y'all?

I'm pooped, filthy and hungry...later, peeps! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I'm watching the Houston LAA youtube and at 2:10, you can hear a woman whisper, "JE-sus!"

I think there were a lot of us at that concert were whispering more than Je-sus...more like whimpering OMG over & over!! I'll never know how I survived the front row. That man is lethal!

Can you believe it will be one year ago in 15 days? merrieeee, I remember how you swooned over his clothes and were telling me, "look at the buttons on his sleeve ... look at those soft gorgeous shoes -- and then there was that rivet deal! Yes, you kept talking about the shoes on his feet, and that made it mightily difficult to exercise restraint when those feet were no more than 10-12 inches from my hands. I love the feet of Clay, and the footwear too.

As a note - I found someone else who heard "hung her children that she could not feed" So there is at least one more person as hearing impaired as me. Ha!

Maybe that's why he had lyrics printed for us on this CD! :cryingwlaughter: When I first read your comment about how you couldn't get past the part about the woman who hung her children in GOG, I was ... WTF? What in this world is she talking about? Now everytime I hear the song and it gets to that line, I think about you and it CMSU! Glad you're back.

OMG, Muski, you said Willin' by Little Feat? That's just flat freaky. Wouldn't happen to be the live version that ends with "Bogart" would it? Lowell George, man oh man.

ETA: Just remembering the album cover -- a cute tomato lounging in a hammock. Could that be ..... no, it couldn't .... or is it?????

Oh, and I love Fat Man in the Bathtub too, for what it's worth. I said it's freaky because I was going through some of my digital music today and saw Willin' and went looking for it on YouTube. Just a few hours ago. I'm coincidence's bitch.

Does anyone recognize the first guy that sings with Pavarotti...the one with the cap and the beard? Anyone??

It's Lorenzo Jovanotti an Italian singer

Wow!!! I am really impressed!!! I kind of liked his video, but would never have been able to find him on my own.

Ah cotton I'm not always down in the very front. However, I keep upgrading my camera. ***waves to Gibby & Karen Eh who also have the amazing Panasonic FZ 18*** Let me tell you, you don't miss much with a zooooooooooom lens that size. The rest is all in the editing.

I was close in Houston, though. Yes, Scarlett you were in the row in front of me, I think, although I was dead center there. The noise over the cello in LAA may have been me whimpering. I'll have to listen again. Ah Houston!!

173577008_qymsq-L.jpg

cotton you have forced me to examine my photos (it was a real hardship!) to try to identify the Incredible Hulk Clay from cate's montage. I'm pretty sure it was Fort Myers. I LOVED that concert. He was in such a funny (ha ha) mood that night and was just on fire. If you haven't downloaded and watched the Scruffy banter clack from that concert, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? A real bonus for all FCAers is to see Clay shooting clack with Scarlett's camera and try to intervene with anger management tools when solo whacks her. Priceless stuff.

Anyhoo, Clay had divided up the audience to sing along with the TV medley. He was carrying on like a crazy man to get his section to beat Angela's and Quiana's. He COMMANDED US to sing the loudest.

197275377_F3xRR-L.jpg

When we finished the song, he declared that his section won, naturally, and he struck the Incredible Hulk pose. I was focused a little too close up to get the whole thing, but you get the idea:

317299360_h4BZo-XL.jpg

I absolutely loved that concert. It was worth nearly dying of the heat in Florida just for that one show, even though I saw all 4.

It is feeling a lot like Houston and Orlando today here in SoCal. Still a lot of electricity out in the hottest areas. We're still OK here, although it's over 90 degrees in my house in every room except the one I'm in. That's the only one with air conditioning so I've been multi-tasking here all day.

People, people people....did I not forever end the debate on the best LAA clack when we were doing favorite concert clack? I'm sure I did. But, I'm more than happy to refresh everyone's memory. I was not there, although some of you were. It's vzubie's porn....er...exquisite video from Syracuse. She was so close...there is stubble, there is the vibrating throat, there are eyelashes, there is a little trickle of sweat on his forehead, then down from his sideburn, then down his neck behind his ear....all in desperate need of licking. Remember? This is the one!!!

GAH!!!! :hubbahubba:

I hope we can have a little longer to discuss Lover All Alone. We've lived with this song for longer than any of the others, but it's so, so special. I have some thoughts on the song but need a little bit longer to put them into words.

Perma! Thanks for the info and pic on The Incredible Hulk!

I knew of the "contest", but had never seen the video or the picture!

Lover All Alone

Not even addressing the lovely, mournful, spare brilliance of the music.

Just the lyrics.

Some of you know from reading at CV, but I have a niece who has had many, many brain surgeries in her 38 years. (hydracelphalus is the culprit) My Sis’s only child. Niece is not, has never been married. Her many medical problems, resulting hospitalizations and some short-term memory loss have all gotten in the way of a stable life and the opportunity for any meaningful relationship. Most young men are just not interested in taking on any extra problems. Or in dating a pretty, though somewhat overweight, smart, opinionated young woman with issues of this magnitude.

She has friends. Male and female. But she’s had very little romantic love. And the couple of times it seemed like it might happen, the guys turned out to be jerks. Going back to the break-up love after rebounding with niece, just wanting to ‘nail’ the buxom girl with the big red lips, etc.

She loves childen. That doesn’t seem to be in the cards. With her medical history, going Jaymes’ route doesn’t even seem likely and there are just no prospects.

So - - that’s the back story. And my Sis’s constant worry for her daughter’s health and happiness.

So Sis went with me to see the Charlotte NAT - one of those rare times when she was willing to do something - spend some travel money on just her - and when we got settled in our hotel room, I played LAA for her. The first time she’d heard it.

She broke down. Lost it.

It was her daughter’s story. Written for her. Described her “aloneness in the world”, her lost dreams, perfectly.

I don’t think Clay has a clue how brilliant these lyrics are.

How many Lovers All Alone there are out there.

The use of the word “lonesome” instead of “lonely”. So different.

I know David got him started with a gorgeous melody. But the lyrics, the poetry, is indescribably beautiful.

And though, sad, the song is not hopeless.

How does he do that?

Oh, my, Perma!

vzubie's video was delicious!

You're right - the warbling neck is just delectable!

ETA:

downloading Scruffy Ft. Myers banter now!

Thanks for the tip!

I was pretty sick a year ago and even though I made it to several concerts, I wasn't fully "there", IYKWIM!

Perma! Thanks for the info and pic on The Incredible Hulk!

I knew of the "contest", but had never seen the video or the picture!

Lover All Alone

Not even addressing the lovely, mournful, spare brilliance of the music.

Just the lyrics.

<<snip>>

I don’t think Clay has a clue how brilliant these lyrics are.

How many Lovers All Alone there are out there.

The use of the word “lonesome” instead of “lonely”. So different.

I know David got him started with a gorgeous melody. But the lyrics, the poetry, is indescribably beautiful.

And though, sad, the song is not hopeless.

How does he do that?

I have always felt the same about this song. I too have wonder if Clay even has a clue or if it was inspired and beyond him. Regardless, it is an amazing song that I think would reach millions if they heard it.

Clay has much to offer this world.

Today we went to the movies. Saw the new "Get Smart". It was very funny. I haven't enjoyed a movie that much in a long time.