#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE FALLING!

I've said this before, but it has a Phantom of the Opera feel to it in the beginning - the Silence, Long Lost Friend.

I love the nightmarish robotica in the middle.

To me the "character in the story" is losing everything he is familiar, safe and secure with. And in the "dream that never ends" is the new life - scary and he is closer and closer to falling off the precipice into the chaos of the unknown. He is trying not to make mistakes he's made before - trying to hold on to the past but falling into the future - maybe it's a new love haunted by past hurt. Maybe it's a new life haunted by damage from the old.

I feel that quickened heartbeat you feel when you awake from a dream that wakes you in a cold sweat.

And he sings it with such passion, I can feel the fear, the excitement - the freefall.

Did I mention I Love it?!

To me the "character in the story" is losing everything he is familiar, safe and secure with. And in the "dream that never ends" is the new life - scary and he is closer and closer to falling off the precipice into the chaos of the unknown. He is trying not to make mistakes he's made before - trying to hold on to the past but falling into the future - maybe it's a new love haunted by past hurt. Maybe it's a new life haunted by damage from the old.

I feel that quickened heartbeat you feel when you awake from a dream that wakes you in a cold sweat.

And he sings it with such passion, I can feel the fear, the excitement - the freefall.

Did I mention I Love it?!

Ditto to everything Cotton says about any of the songs on OMWH. Wow, this is an easy assignment :cryingwlaughter:

From this morning's conversation about hair...

ClaySrPic.jpg

ClayHSGrad.jpg

Silence, long lost friends

You come to me again

I think it's friend, rather than friends. In other words, it is silence that is the long lost friend coming to him again.

Hey - I just copied it from the Lyrics thread!! :cryingwlaughter:

I love Falling, too. It's in my Top 4, for sure.

The opening brings Simple Minds (think parts of Don't You Forget About Me from the movie The Breakfast Club) to mind.

Here's a clip for the curious:

Those deep sounds are very seductive: silence, again, restless.

Between Everything I Don't Need and Falling, I'm toast.

I like Falling.

I don't love it.

I think, lyrically, that it is a very interesting concept for Clay, and I can see this being one that he readily identifies with. Just see Cotton's post on the lyrics -- because ITA.

But musically, for some reason, this one doesn't "grab" me. To me, it sounds like a song that any Joe Blow out there in the music world could sing. Sure, it's kinda fun, but I don't think Clay's vocals bring anything new to the party, per se.

Electronica voiced Clay? Um...ick. I don't care for that, personally. I like Clay's voice unadulterated, thank you very much.

*grabs basket to catch all the tomatoes that will be thrown, 'cause I need to make some spaghetti sauce for the freezer*

*g*

Hey Couchie! You funneee, Girl!

:cryingwlaughter:

and

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I also love his voice and the driving guitar on Falling!

I may have listened to it a *coughfewcough* times.

heh

ETA:

Remember those graphics in the opening credits for the James Bond movies?

The silhouetted figures (not the nekkid girls!) against the bright colored backdrops?

I see this figure, like a black cutout of a guy arms and legs akimbo tumbling over and over - ass over teakettle so to speak - from the top of the screen on and on, down and down, helpless to stop - against a bright blue changing to shifting red backdrop.

I see this in my head almost everytime I hear it.

Yeah. I know. I'm weird.

:)

ClaySrPic.jpg

ClayHSGrad.jpg

So is either one of these the natural color, do you think? :cryingwlaughter:

Silence, long lost friends

You come to me again

I think it's friend, rather than friends. In other words, it is silence that is the long lost friend coming to him again.

Hey - I just copied it from the Lyrics thread!! :cryingwlaughter:

Sawwwy. I wasn't blaming you--you just happened to post the lyrics. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ClaySrPic.jpg

ClayHSGrad.jpg

Thanks for those, annabear!

I guess that even if his hair did get darker in his 20s, it would not be as dark as it looks in his first audition. So yes, looks like his hair is naturally lighter but I'm still shocked that he was dyeing his hair BEFORE his first Idol audition, I thought he was the all-natural boy until Idol forced him to shed his glasses and change his 'style' (per Randy Jackson!) I actually like his glasses, the rimless ones he now has. That suit him so well, it is amazing how just changing the frames of glasses can make such a huge difference.

I keep missing out on commenting on the songs, but I really don't want to miss out on talking about "Falling".

I love the entire album, but I've finally decided that this one is my favoritest (is too a word!) favorite.

It was the snippet that captured my attention in the strongest way...the one I wanted to hear the most...and I guess it's still my favorite.

Plus.."restless....I lie awake" with that little growl in it?? :hubbahubba: OMG, I am a puddle of goo. One of the sexiest lines he has EVAH sung and he'd better sing it as the encore of a concert, because I guarantee we'll all be dead after he finishes singing it live. I think all of you should listen again just so you can innoculate yourself against the deadliness of Clay singing this LIVE!! :Thud:

It's so interesting the different reactions to songs. They really are so personal. ldyj, I love you, but I'm going to strongly disagree with you on one point. I absolutely do not believe that any Joe Blow could sing this song. In fact, IMHO Clay may be one of the FEW people who can sing the song. The intervals in the verses are really difficult...not natural or intuitive at all, and I think quite a few of them would be very difficult to hit squarely by most singers who don't have a great range and exquisite sense of pitch...at least not without LOTS of ProTool help.

The range on this song is really wide. He has to skip back and forth between his yummy lower register, to his chest voice to his higher power notes, and back again....sometimes right in the same phrase with the same breath. That's freakishly difficult, y'all.

I love the way the song goes from the lower minor key (yes, you were right) of the verses to the powerful major key of the chorus. I really like the bridge...I think the electronica sound for that was overkill...I don't think it was necessary and found it jarring at first, but I've gotten used to it now and sort of listen for it.

I kind of wonder if some people have a problem with it because compared with most of the other songs on the album, it IS difficult to sing along with. I can picture a lot of people blasting it in their cars as they drive along, sort of mumbling/humming their way through the verses and then belting out the chorus, which not only is really powerful, but also much easier technically to sing.

So, what I'm saying here is that I LOVE THIS SONG!!! LOVE!!!!

:clap: BRAVO CLAY!!!

:F_05BL17blowkiss: back at ya Perma!

I understand the "complexity" of the song, with the range, etc. etc. -- and yeah, he does get in a good growl or two there. *g* I guess the way I feel about my "joe Blow" comment is that IMO, I can actually hear someone not as good singing the song -- granted with a lot of ProTools, to be sure, but to me, it's almost (key word there) a generic pop song. It almost sounds to me as if he IS using ProTools on this song, and maybe that's why I'm not as enamored with this one.... As I said, I like "unadulterated" Clay! And Falling doesn't give me that.... I personally think WOTW does a better job of that, as an uptempo song, than Falling does.

JMO, of course....

I was looking, but I don't think I have any pics of the perm. Or else I hid them, even from myself! :cryingwlaughter:

Posted by Rainlover at CV:

New Clay montage by K4Clay2....."Our Kind Of Love"......sung by Hannah Waddingham.

http://clayaikentheidealidol.com/whatsnew....#currentmontage

Falling? I like it. A lot. But it's not in my top favorites. It is catchy, though, and probably the song I find most running through my head. Love the deep voice! Hate the electronic, techy voice thing towards the end! Don't mess with that voice!!

Hey Perma!

You been listening to me in my car?!

I ALWAYS sing along with Falling!

and - yeah, I think it's that minor key and the lower register, the mysteriousness of the opening that makes me think of Phantom.

I can't listen to Falling without bopping along with it!

Electronica voiced Clay? Um...ick. I don't care for that, personally. I like Clay's voice unadulterated, thank you very much.

Well - I was liking the song until I heard the whatever-its-called. I think it makes it sound kind of cheesy at that part. Other than that, I still like the song but it isn't one of my favorites.

AHAH - the graduation pictures. I think the formal one just has dark lighting. And I think the one in cap and gown is natural Clay. I knew he permed his hair but I don't remember hearing anything about him dying it until pre-Hollywood when it turned blue.

LOVE LOVE LOVE FALLING. IMO this song has the potential to be a HUGE radio hit, much more so than Ashes. It is a great song to blast while driving.

It reminds me somewhat of Chris Issac's, Wicked Game and I don't mean in tempo but in the echoey, other worldly sound to it.

Are we doing videos? I have a video in mind where he goes into be wearing glasses, with dorky Clay hair and goes through falling with him grabbing at computer generated things, and falling into Clay with the contacts and not so dorky hair.

Thanks, Thankful!

Clay - what were you thinking?! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

That would be, "Clayton - what were you thinking?!" :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Ah - falling from Clayton to Clay, Play?

Hey Perma!

You been listening to me in my car?!

I ALWAYS sing along with Falling!

and - yeah, I think it's that minor key and the lower register, the mysteriousness of the opening that makes me think of Phantom.

I can't listen to Falling without bopping along with it!

Oooooh cotton, I call shotgun on the next road trip!!! I will happily sit next to you boppin' and beltin' away!!

How are you on "Kiss From A Rose"? Another song with killer intervals. Note to all future AI contestants: NEVER try to sing this song live when people are going to be voting afterwards. A definite crash and burn song.

See, this is what makes this CD so brilliant to me. It is eclectic enough that as Clay predicted, someone may not love EVERYTHING on it, but they will definitely love SOMETHING on it.

I pretty much love everything on it and never skip anything, but if Falling is my favorite, then WOTW is probably at the bottom of my list. Still, I'm glad it's at the top of other peoples' lists, because that means a much wider audience are finding songs to enjoy on this album.

Perma - WOTW has fallen into the "skip this one" category for me. I really tried to like it but.....alas and alack, just can't - other than hearing Clay's voice, that is. I'm still loving The Real Me and Sacrificial Love. I kind of think when SL first starts out it almost sounds country! I'm growing to love Ashes, too. Oh and As Long As We're Here.