#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

I'm still shocked that he was dyeing his hair BEFORE his first Idol audition, I thought he was the all-natural boy until Idol forced him to shed his glasses and change his 'style' (per Randy Jackson!)

BWAH!! I can't recall any pictures after the teen years where his hair doesn't look dyed. There are so many different colors that it's hard to say which is the natural color. We've had long debates on the boards. Have you seen this phase?

post-784-1213667483_thumb.jpg

I think we saw more than one color with this do. There are light, light blonde versions, although it could be just the light. His hair does seem to change color in the light. Here's a bad hair day for ya:

post-784-1213667821_thumb.jpg

After I saw the spamalot wig when it was in the red light, I think I finally understood why he hates the red hair and freckles. :cryingwlaughter: On the other hand, this looks dyed to me; it's too red:

post-784-1213668076_thumb.jpg

I think this is the color I've seen voted more likely to be nearly his natural color, although I think the tips are dyed:

post-784-1213667946_thumb.jpg

That one is from a radio show appearance right after American Idol. Which is close to this:

post-784-1213668141_thumb.jpg

Which might be the natural color, as it is really, really close to the Spamalot wig. In some lights, it would look pretty red, I think.

So you can see, claytonic, that regardless of all the changes, he really did need help from AI. :cryingwlaughter:

I love the whole cd, too, Perma!

And - NO!

I won't be singing with someone else in the car!!!

You're welcome!

hee

Let's see - I REALLY LOVE

Falling

SL

SAU

ALAWH

WIDTL

EIDN

WOTW

TRM

The order of that list changes hourly! But the bolded ones are always on the top rung!

I don't get excited about FIEKY. Something about that song doesn't flow right. Like it's two songs smooshed together.

I'm glad it was a bonus and not on the cd proper.

ETA:

The Just By Chance Perm Pic is the one I remember!

Oh golly, I'm loving all these old pictures of Clay....and I've always loved that radio appearance picture. What a grin.

I really dont't skip any songs on the album at all. And yeah, ITA Perma, there really is something for everyone on this album. I personally think WOTW is a highlight for me, and that's because it reminds me of another favorite musical artist, U2. The sounds on it are great, and I love what I see as it's universal theme, the idea that sometimes the world is against you, but everyone feels that way sometimes. But, back to Falling -- I really don't skip it, and yeah, I usually bop along to it. But I find myself not hitting the repeat button on it either.

And that's why I love this board...we can have varying opinions on the songs, and I don't feel badly for having a contrary opinion.

Much.

*g*

Well, I am traumatized! I actually have seen some of those pics (about half of them) before, and it never even occurred to me that when he was just Clayton, he was that focussed on his, um, style!

I'd like to know who is responsible for his "style" in his much-too-dark and much-too-weird hairdo in that AI#2 official pic at the website. I first saw Clay on AI#3 doing Solitaire, and when I went looking for him at the website, I couldn't believe it was the same person!

I keep missing out on commenting on the songs, but I really don't want to miss out on talking about "Falling".

I love the entire album, but I've finally decided that this one is my favoritest (is too a word!) favorite.

It was the snippet that captured my attention in the strongest way...the one I wanted to hear the most...and I guess it's still my favorite.

Plus.."restless....I lie awake" with that little growl in it?? :hubbahubba: OMG, I am a puddle of goo. One of the sexiest lines he has EVAH sung and he'd better sing it as the encore of a concert, because I guarantee we'll all be dead after he finishes singing it live. I think all of you should listen again just so you can innoculate yourself against the deadliness of Clay singing this LIVE!! :Thud:

It's so interesting the different reactions to songs. They really are so personal. ldyj, I love you, but I'm going to strongly disagree with you on one point. I absolutely do not believe that any Joe Blow could sing this song. In fact, IMHO Clay may be one of the FEW people who can sing the song. The intervals in the verses are really difficult...not natural or intuitive at all, and I think quite a few of them would be very difficult to hit squarely by most singers who don't have a great range and exquisite sense of pitch...at least not without LOTS of ProTool help.

The range on this song is really wide. He has to skip back and forth between his yummy lower register, to his chest voice to his higher power notes, and back again....sometimes right in the same phrase with the same breath. That's freakishly difficult, y'all.

I love the way the song goes from the lower minor key (yes, you were right) of the verses to the powerful major key of the chorus. I really like the bridge...I think the electronica sound for that was overkill...I don't think it was necessary and found it jarring at first, but I've gotten used to it now and sort of listen for it.

I kind of wonder if some people have a problem with it because compared with most of the other songs on the album, it IS difficult to sing along with. I can picture a lot of people blasting it in their cars as they drive along, sort of mumbling/humming their way through the verses and then belting out the chorus, which not only is really powerful, but also much easier technically to sing.

So, what I'm saying here is that I LOVE THIS SONG!!! LOVE!!!!

:clap: BRAVO CLAY!!!

So... Perma... do you like this one??? :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

I love so many of them... the only one I skip is Grace of God (that's the one I meant to say when we had dinner, P). My #1 is ALAWH and I adore FIEKY... sorry, Cotton! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I also like the balance on the cd as a whole. Slow, 2 fast, slow, 2 fast, etc. I sure hope he can sell some more of 'em!!!

I remember Clay's mom saying that he wore that perm for so long cause he knew she hated it... what a brat! Typical teenager! :cryingwlaughter:

He sure has turned into a vera vera handsome man, tho, hasn't he! S.W.O.O.N!

Oh golly, I'm loving all these old pictures of Clay....and I've always loved that radio appearance picture. What a grin.

I really dont't skip any songs on the album at all. And yeah, ITA Perma, there really is something for everyone on this album. I personally think WOTW is a highlight for me, and that's because it reminds me of another favorite musical artist, U2. The sounds on it are great, and I love what I see as it's universal theme, the idea that sometimes the world is against you, but everyone feels that way sometimes. But, back to Falling -- I really don't skip it, and yeah, I usually bop along to it. But I find myself not hitting the repeat button on it either.

And that's why I love this board...we can have varying opinions on the songs, and I don't feel badly for having a contrary opinion.

Much.

*g*

I love WOTW. Love "down, down, down" and "Unbreakable". It's a great song.

Falling is one I often repeat. But I still love all the songs, some more than I did at first.

Radio station guy is a lot like JBT guy, which is the best short hair, nearly natural look I've seen on him.

Look at this!!! It's only 7:15 here and I'm actually going to leave the office and go home!!

Go Me!!!

I just didn't want anyone to think I was getting huffy and storming off!!

I love that there are so many different "Clay"s on this CD. I absolutely love "Something About Us", and that couldn't be more different from "Falling". I just love that he can surprise me with all of the different things he can do with his voice.

Damn, he's good.

I do love a good "shout" song, though. This is what my daughter and I used to call the kind of song that you are absolutely COMPELLED to sing at the top of your lungs while driving in a car.

I SO wanted "Perfect Day" to be a single, because I thought it had GREAT potential as a "shout" song. I certainly belted it out in the car often enough, but I should have heard it blasting from all the convertibles driving by in the summer of 2004. A missed opportunity for sure.

Just in case you are curious, my daughter and I have selected what we believe to be the Ultimate "Shout" song. Linda Ronstadt's "When Will I Be Loved".

I DARE you not to shout that out while beating time on the steering wheel with one hand.

"I've been cheated........Been mistreated.....When will I be loved....."

Time to drive home. I feel a song coming on!!!

IIRC, Clay said in an interview that he had always hated his red hair, but that the color was so strong it kept bleeding through the brown every time he tried to change it. I think "perm hair" may well be the natural color, though. That's SERIOUSLY permed hair. If he was dyeing it at the same time, it probably would have broken off at the roots!!!

Oh Lordie - I keep telling you I can't be trusted. I meant Grace of God is the one I skip! I DO like WOTW.

And I agree with all of you who are saying there's something for everyone on this CD. You know my top 2, but the next 4 keep changing as my mood changes. And I loved Perfect Day - probably because of the vid of him recording it and peeking out from the microphone to see how he had done. But it's a happy song, too.

One of the facets of Clay's singing that I love so much is the way he pronounces some of the words. They're just so Clay!!!! So even if someone else did foolishly try to sing one of his songs....eh!

But - I must say there isn't one of these songs that I wouldn't kill to see and hear "live!"

I LOVE LOVE LOVE FALLING!

I've said this before, but it has a Phantom of the Opera feel to it in the beginning - the Silence, Long Lost Friend.

I love the nightmarish robotica in the middle.

To me the "character in the story" is losing everything he is familiar, safe and secure with. And in the "dream that never ends" is the new life - scary and he is closer and closer to falling off the precipice into the chaos of the unknown. He is trying not to make mistakes he's made before - trying to hold on to the past but falling into the future - maybe it's a new love haunted by past hurt. Maybe it's a new life haunted by damage from the old.

I feel that quickened heartbeat you feel when you awake from a dream that wakes you in a cold sweat.

And he sings it with such passion, I can feel the fear, the excitement - the freefall.

Did I mention I Love it?!

Love your description of this song. LOVE! I don't know how to describe the interesting guitar effect at the beginning and end, but it's kind of a electronic push that I like very much...if I'm listening to the song, I never stop until I'm all the way to the end, just to hear that interesting series of sounds. The first time I heard the "nightmarish robotica" I was taken aback, but now I like it...mainly because of the way he 'guhs' as he releases his notes...also like the way the sound moves from the 'nightmare' back into a more 'normal' sound. Love the guitar throughout...there are some really interesting effects mixed in. I like the way the sounds seem to play in only the left or right ear at some points. This is a song where the musicians make a big difference in my enjoyment. They are just so good. The lyrics also make for an interesting lead-in to "Where I Draw the Line".

Also...I have said it before and I will say it again.

To me, there is no substitute for GOOD headphones in combination with Clay Aiken. And, in my experience, there is also a noticeable difference between iTunes downloads and the CD.

Clay's voice, his inhalations, his exhalations, that fine vibrato, a hint of gravel, his vowels and consonants, the sounds in his throat, the texture and depth of tone, the way he holds the tension on a note before relaxing it...The instrumentation, the different blends of sounds and voices...all of this is so amazing...throughout the album...and some of these details can go unnoticed (and therefore under-appreciated) with lossy format, iffy equipment, and noisy surroundings. Even songs I don't adore as much as others please me so much...when I can actually hear the interesting...or blatantly seductive...nuances of his truly FINE voice. So yeah...Clay has made me something of an audio snob. heh

This is a good album, y'all. A REALLY good album.

I liked "Weight of the World" even more after seeing it paired with

on YouTube. I liked the movie very much, so it made the song more personal to me to see it set to those images. When I listen to it, though, I very often think of a woman struggling to escape a violent relationship.

I had a little trouble liking "Grace of God" in the beginning...but I rarely skip it. It just took some time to reconcile the lyrics with the tempo and tone of the song. Now, I think the style of the music gives the song a conversational, reflective appeal...and that...sigh...in his voice at the end really gets under my skin.

So, yep, yep...back to the Song of the Day? LOVE "Falling". Plus, it has a special place in my heart for being a song my daughter will listen to with me in the car. :)

Clay's hair as a teen? Sometimes, a young man's hair may be one of the few things he feels he has any real control over.

Or he just likes to...um...try new things.

What.

00lsee, loved reading your descriptives of the music.

And YES, to the nuances that can be missed by poor equipment or PEOPLE WHO JUST DON'T PAY ATTENTION all that much!

And on that note . . . feathering off lightly, thankyewvurymuch . . .

th_goodnightdrew.jpg

Also...I have said it before and I will say it again.

To me, there is no substitute for GOOD headphones in combination with Clay Aiken. And, in my experience, there is also a noticeable difference between iTunes downloads and the CD.

Clay's voice, his inhalations, his exhalations, that fine vibrato, a hint of gravel, his vowels and consonants, the sounds in his throat, the texture and depth of tone, the way he holds the tension on a note before relaxing it...The instrumentation, the different blends of sounds and voices...all of this is so amazing...throughout the album...and some of these details can go unnoticed (and therefore under-appreciated) with lossy format, iffy equipment, and noisy surroundings. Even songs I don't adore as much as others please me so much...when I can actually hear the interesting...or blatantly seductive...nuances of his truly FINE voice. So yeah...Clay has made me something of an audio snob. heh

This is a good album, y'all. A REALLY good album.

:word:

I've heard that some of the radio friendly songs that are popular these days are actually sonically "dumbed down" to make them sound best on iPods and crummy radios. Pfffffftt.

There's a sophisticated musicality to ATDW and OMWH that some people just don't get. If someone just doesn't like the musical styles or the songs, fine, but if a person doesn't "get" the musicality and wishes it were more "dumbed down," that's not a reflection on the album, but on the listener. IMO.

I flove Falling! As much as everything else that CD. I seldom hit repeat at any time anymore because as soon as one song ends, I'm thinking Oh Goody now .... THIS ONE! YAY! I do readily admit, however, to repeating TRM twenty or forty times one night. I can get completely obsessive about a song. Used to drive my kids crazy.

And ... Clay's natural hair color? I'm not even curious. I've colored my own from the age of 14. There was no knowing anything about natural color after that --- just the roots that were either lighter or darker. And as far as guys are concerned, the ones in my high school were bleaching out their hair forty years ago -- remember the Beach Boys? Surfing? I know so many guys in hippy dippy days who permed their long locks. I can attest from personal experience that the men in my life have been much pickier and obsessed about their hair than me. To me, it's always been a "guy thing."

Well, I am traumatized! I actually have seen some of those pics (about half of them) before, and it never even occurred to me that when he was just Clayton, he was that focussed on his, um, style!

I’m not so sure that he much was, beyond the unfortunate perm. As a natural strawberry blond who started as more a red head, I can attest to a variety of colors that had NOTHING to do with a bottle of dye. When I was younger my hair was actually red, as opposed to the more blond that it is now. But even then, if I was outside a lot in the summer it would lighten up considerably. Now, most people call me blonde (although it’s definitely strawberry) and it still changes color. I go VERY light if I get a lot of sun and it darkens a bit in the winter. I look at all these pictures of young Clay and I see a resemblance to my own hair, depending on the time of year and my age. Now, both my sisters are red heads – one is auburn and one is more orangy. I’ve noticed the orangy one lightens and darkens, but the auburn one doesn’t as much. So, I doubt Clay dyed it much when he was younger. Not as often as the pics would imply, anyway.

Clay would be happy to know, also, that the freckles fade with time. <g>

perma - (or anyone) - what is ProTool? Is that that software that evens out the bad notes?

FALLING

I love Falling from the first guitar stroke to the very end guitar stroke.

I love the way he says "I'm closer than ever to the edge..." and then...... "I AM FALLING..."

I think the electronic part in the middle makes the song "current" -- something that was not thought of for any of the other songs. It fits right in with today's style of music.

I like the little rattlesnake riffs in it. I love the chorus........

I interpret it to mean that he was fearful of letting go of the past and he can't help it, he's falling and he wants to wake up in the new one.

I picture him lying awake with his arms behind his head staring at the ceiling thinking about his life's decisions before he drifts off to sleep. In his dream he is falling "from the world I used to know" - He's still restless and still thinking about the memories.

"Come back and wake me up again, I can't face this world alone." -- he's calling for someone who has just left him. The one who is helping him to let go of his old world.

I get the sense that he is welcoming of the falling feeling of going over the edge into the other place.

-------

Love all the hair pictures!!! Have we seen this one lately?

longhairyoungclay.jpg

And here are a couple more comparisons...

BeforeandAfterfacialcomparisons.jpg

metamorphosisClay_20Changes.jpg

Falling is my second favorite song on the entire album (As Long pwns my butt, lock, stock and barrel).

I like it because it's the kind of "complicated" pop song I like - I do merrily sing along with it - I can't help it. It has to me an atypical rhythm to the way Clay sings it - not just his usual quirky phrasing but an almost rap sensibility - I know many just hate rap - but Clay demonstrates to me a serious skill in making just the sounds of the words add a layer of complexity that works for me...the emphasis and tone in certain syllables. I didn't particularly care for the electronica thingie but am used to it now. I'm not sure how "current" the electronica stuff is - Hell, Cher did it to death in "Believe" and it wasn't particularly new then.

Fallin'

I'm signing up for a road trip with Perma! Dayum, I love this song...never get tired of it...And I actually like the electronic interlude--it IS current and is a "THAT'S Clay AIKEN???" kinda moment, which can be a good thing, I think, from time to time.

I also love that he sings some HAWT looooowwww notes in this one. And yep, it's a deceptively 'simple' pop song. But I can't wait to see and hear him do this one live because then he'll so easily show us how it's done, you know? WIth no studio enhancements or lip synching. His voice will own the notes and he'll own us.

Hey, Gibby! What's the range in this one? Have I already asked you that? I just know that he goes pretty danged low there and then he's blasting with that bright voice "And I'm FALLIN!" He's gonna rock out and we'll be panting to keep up...

I ALWAYS sing along with this in the car and if my trip is long enough, I repeat the sucker a couple of times! Oh, and YEAH, BABY to "When Will I Be Loved"...In my twenties when I did my nightclub/bar singing gigs, I was a real Ronstadt wanna be and this was in my set every time!

Fallin' was a favorite from the beginning---liked it better than Ashes and usually still do. WOTW is near the bottom of the list for me, as is GOG...Actually, those two and FIEKY change places every now and then, although I do love the instrumentation of FIEKY. It seems more contemporary and...rockish, I guess. I agree that it sounds a bit like more than one song put into one, but I like that about it!

And 00lsee, gah and yep to your description of the man's own instrument and his expert manipulation of it. :hubbahubba:

Just saw KAndre's post...and it reminded me that I've been wanting to ask y'all...I see a lot of people (not just here) make references to Clay's unique 'phrasing'. For some it's a plus---for others, a real distraction. I've heard some call it, as KAndre did here, "quirky"; others say "odd" or "unique" or "different". Some say "annoying".

Could those of you for whom Clay's 'phrasing' is a noticeable and notable aspect of his voice, please elaborate on this for me? I'm not quite sure what it's all about, Alfie. (Michael Caine in his younger days....controversial movie for its time...heh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7gKW7oRnoE

This is Hannah singing Our Kind of Love. It doesn't sound the same singer to me. Can anyone tell if I am right or not?

http://clayaikentheidealidol.com/whatsnew....#currentmontage

You're right!!! The song is from "The Beautiful Game" and that recording in the montage seems to be from the original cast recording.

Here's the wiki page for the show, but I have no idea which cast menber sang the song!

The Beautiful Game

eta: I found a list of the original cast, and Hannah was listed. The play showed in London in 2000.

Darn!! I had a long reply with lots of quotes almost ready to go and lost it. :glare:

Anyway, I wanted to say that I LOOOOOVVVVVE Falling! It's my current favorite. Of course, my favorite changes from time to time because there are so many great songs on the album.

Falling is in the key of F minor (was it you who asked if it was in a minor key, chach?) The range is from the C below middle C to the B flat above middle C. Not many tenors have a great range like that! But it's not just having the range that's needed for this song, but the ability to sing difficult intervals in the entire range, and to move easily between the lower and upper registers. Specifically, there are a lot of fourths, fifths and sevenths in the song, which are the most difficult intervals to sing in tune. Perma, I really enjoyed your post about the technical difficulties in this song.

This really is a complex song, both vocally and instrumentally. There's so much to like about it! I really like how Clay puts a little bit of a cry in his voice on 'closin in' during the first verse'. The electric guitar matches the notes Clay is singing at 'I'm older, should be wiser... I'm closer than ever...' Great effect! The background vocals are mixed to perfection on the chorus. They add intensity and effect to the chorus without overwhelming Clay's voice. Bravo, Kipper!

I like the electronic effects at the bridge, and they don't take away from the beauty of Clay's voice for me. The bridge is pretty short compared to the rest of the song, and we get to hear Clay's voice without the electronic effects for the rest of the song, so they aren't really used for very long. Clay sings the chorus softly right after the bridge, and then the whole band comes in and rocks out. Yes!! I always feel like getting up and jumping up and down during that part!

There's lots of great guitar work, too. The bass, acoustic and electric guitar players aren't your basic, run of the mill musicians; they've got a lot of skill! OOlsee, I noticed the guitar effect at the beginning and end of the song, too. It's cool! The guitarist is playing a five-note phrase, and then sliding on the fretboard to the next five-note phrase. It's the sliding on the fretboard that makes that cool 'push' sound that you're describing.

Cotton, I agree with your interpretation of the lyrics. I know that Clay has said that the songs aren't necessarily about him, but sometimes this song makes me wonder if he's singing about falling into the life of a celebrity.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that there are several others who love Falling! I think it would be a great radio song.

Not an expert, but just an opinionated heifer...

For me, Clay's quirkiness in phrasing is part of what makes his sound unique - he very differently stresses syllables from a standard speaking/singing voice - his or anyone else - part of it is the still very distinct way he enunciates his consonants still - how he can incorporate an oddly musical stop with words ending in [t], [p]...

Cesario of the CH explained it in this way once:

I have a question for Cesario: sorry to bring up the Reuters guy, but why do critics always say he's bad at phrasing? My opinion is that they want to criticize him while using a word that makes it sound like they know a lot about singing and music.

Oy! I can't speak for other critics, just myself, but I have an inkling why they sometimes bring that up. Clay has a jingoistic and eccentric way of phrasing a lyric. He has such an abundance of full-throated tone that sometimes he doesn't need to attack a phrase with such energy. He has a tendency to put accent on unstressed words in the lyric. Let's use Solitaire as an example. In the phrase, "Solitaire's the only game in town." He sings it, "Sool-i-tairrrres's the only game iiiiiin (on f natural, let's say) town (the preposition is heavily accented while the word town is riffed on descending notes. )

What if he were to lightly stress the preposition "in" as a grace note (a light connecting note that is sung with a lilt--technically the diaphragm almost leaping under its touch) followed by the word "town" sustained on that same note and then allow it to descend as a phrase. So, there is the question of "Why does he sing it that way?".."Is it musical?" "Does one say, "Solitaire's the only game in town."?

And herein lies my answer. It's uniquely Clay. I don't always agree with what he is doing with his phrasing, but as I write this and listen to his voice in my head I'm not sure I want to hear him sing it any other way.

Sometimes, I want to grab his fine shoulders, shake him and say, " Listen to the instrumentals. Don't sing. Now. Say the lyrics out loud. Say them in a conversational way--then repeat them with some feeling, then build the phrase while floating the vowels, elongating the speech." Many singers become paralyzed with technique and many singers become paralyzed with the aesthetics of music and its play with emotion. He's trying his best to combine all aspects as one. Give him time. He's only going to get better.

The first time I listen to a new Clay song - he always phrases something different than what I'm expecting - the way it would go in a typical song. But that's my boy!

Ooooo! And what Gibby I woulda said if Gibby hadn't said it first (and actually knew what she was talking about unlike moi. I find that a certain moment of charming and complete ignorance in certain things really work for me.) Yeah, fretwork! And a fretboard! It's apparently a part of a guitar! Or the bass one or the electric one, which frankly look the same to me except one (I think) is plugged in. Uh. Clay sings good!

Heeee, KAndre! :lol:

Thanks for bringing that Cesario quote over. I enjoy her posts about vocal technique so much! Is she still posting over at the CH?

Clay's unique phrasing can be heard in the parts of the phrase he accents, as Cesario illustrates. His unique phrasing can also be heard in where he chooses to breathe. Usually singers will plan to breathe where there's a comma or a period in the lyric, or in another logical place. It's a no-no to breathe between the syllables in a word.

But Clay does just that, in AIW. Listen to the end of the first and second verses - he sings , 'Sing Alle *breath* lujah." He doesn't really need a breath right there, as he's taken a breath right before 'sing.' And the man has lung power, so he could easily sing that phrase in one breath.

I know I've heard many other examples of Clay's unusual choices of where to breathe, but I can't think of any right now.

However, I'm glad Clay hasn't had a ton of vocal coaching to learn more conventional phrasing. He has many vocal idiosyncrasies, but I really like them. It's part of what makes him uniquely Clay!

I'm late to the favorite OMWH song discussion, but I will say without a doubt that I am madly in love with Falling. I repeat that sucker a LOT. Also love FIEKY, ALAWH, SL, Ashes, SAU...Oh heck, I love em all...except for WOTW. That's probably the least favorite of mine. I may be in the minority here but I do like IIEOOU very much...I love his tone in that.

Gibby...Forgive my ignorance...I haven't been here very long...are you a musician or music teacher? I studied a bit of music a loooooong time ago and I heard some of the things you mentioned also.

And from looking at the pictures...( I haven't seen all of them)...that last one posted with the different comparisons, Clay has really filled out nicely. He looked like such a kid at the beginning. :wub:

No, I don't think she posts any more - real life was calling her a long time ago. Miss the chick. She said I had pitch (of course, it may have been really BAD pitch, but pitch was there!)