#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

Yeah, GIbby, are you a musician or a music teacher? :lilredani: All I know is that I enjoy hearing you spout the music shit. :F_05BL17blowkiss: You explain things in a way I can understand them, even though I'm not formally trained in music theory or composition or whatnot. I love to sing and know when something's in tune--even have some idea about what makes good harmony, etc.

But I love Clay Aiken singing to me. I don't think he has the most perfect voice---I honestly need to turn the volume down during certain notes he sings because they sound rather brash, strident, harsh, nasally. He has one of those 'bright' voices, right Gibby? And sometimes it's just too "bright" for my ears....and then he'll suddenly create a sound that I am just sure no one else could replicate--and I forget everything else. sigh...

And I've become a fan of IIEOOU...he does have a fuller tone to his voice in this song and I LOVE the very beginning---just his voice, no music. So strong and rich and gah...

Gibby...Forgive my ignorance...I haven't been here very long...are you a musician or music teacher? I studied a bit of music a loooooong time ago and I heard some of the things you mentioned also.

Hi, Tijala!

I'm a musician. My primary instrument is piano (I went to college on a piano scholarship). But I've also taken voice and guitar lessons. I currently play piano for several choirs and vocalists, and I was pit pianist for a musical this year. I also play piano and keyboards in a band at my church, and sing backup, too. It's fun, and I get paid for all of it!

I also have a part-time day job - I have a masters degree in social work, and I work in a hospital. I find music and social work to be a great combination of serious and fun!

However, I'm glad Clay hasn't had a ton of vocal coaching to learn more conventional phrasing. He has many vocal idiosyncrasies, but I really like them. It's part of what makes him uniquely Clay!

Exactly. There are so many competent singers around, but they are oh sooo boring! It's the Clay way that snared my attention. I lurve his idiosyncrasies, even the ones that have nothing to do with singing! I get a little annoyed when people diss American Idol since it's BECAUSE of AI that we now have these Clay Aiken masterpieces to listen to forever. I listen to other music, but it's always back to Clay, and now there is so much to choose from.

I am LOVING this discussion tonight!! It's like an oasis in the desert, IYKWIM. Imagine!! We're discussing Clay's MUSIC!!! What a concept!!

I do enjoy talking about all things Clay, but there has been so much drama, starting with the lower sales, since this album was released that I haven't seen a lot of discussion about the actual songs. Unless, of course, it's about what the first single should have been. Many thanks to all participating in the discussion.

Gibby thanks so much for all the info. I don't happen to have any piano keyboards lying around at the office so all I could say was "big range of notes" and "unique intervals", so thanks for all the detail on the song. It was fascinating to me.

I LOVE Clay's phrasing!! I love his unique "accent" when he sings. I love how he will put unique emphasis in unexpected places. Even though he will occasionally break a word as stated earlier, he doesn't do it that often, fortunately. Anyone else made crazy by "O night di-(breath)-vine" on MCWL? Argh!!!

BUT, he is far more likely to extend a phrase past the point where you expect him to take a breath. Many times a singer will take a breath at the end of a phrase, but Clay will often continue on to the next phrase and actually complete the whole thought. It brings a lot more meaning to the song and the lyric when he does that, I think, but it is kind of unique.

So why does he do that? Well, partially, I think it's because he hears unique possibilities in the music. Partially, I think he likes playing with the music. And partially, I think it's because he can.

Not everyone can take those kinds of liberties. One of the reasons Clay can is because he has no real discernible breaks between registers. He can sing smoothly between his lower register, chest voice and head voice without breaking a sweat. Back in the day when I was singing at weddings every weekend for YEARS, I would have to sing whatever the bride handed to me. It didn't really matter if it was pitched well for me. I had a pretty definitive break on the B above middle C, and I would either have to take a breath or get creative to bypass it in certain songs to hide that. Clay doesn't need to do that.

Another reason is that the man has freakishly amazing lung power. He can sing forever without taking a breath. I think he has gills. Everlasting Love, anyone? Or the big note in Solitaire? Not only does he hold the note forever, he then sings the next phrase without taking a breath!!!! He's just not human.

Now don't laugh, but when I first heard Clay on AI, he reminded me of Barbra Streisand. Seriously!!! And the reason was, because she used unique phrasing, had a clear voice with no register breaks. carried phrases through to complete the song's intent, and could hold notes forever.

Back in the day when variety shows were all over TV, there was a summer replacement show for Dean Martin that starred a guy called Keefe Brasselle...who was never heard of before or since. He had a young female singer on one week that looked nothing like the pop stars of the day. She was not pretty, had a big nose, and was wearing sort of a shapeless black dress. Then she sang a song I didn't know..."A Sleeping Bee". OMG!! I listened to that clear, honeyed, gorgeous voice caress that song. She extended the phrases like honey dripping from a comb. No breaks....really long phrases that told the story more clearly....notes held forever. WOW!!! What I wouldn't have given to be able to sing like that.

Most of you youngsters were not around in her early days, but she was unbelievable in her pre-diva days, She turned songs on their heads, a la Clay on "Here You Come Again".

Take a little trip through Rhapsody and listen to what she does to some of those songs. Special favorites:

1. Just In Time. This is a peppy little syncopated number from the musical comedy "Bells Are Ringing". She strips all the syncopation out of it and sings it in counterpoint to Gounod's Ave Maria played on the harpsichord with strings. Just stunning. And she holds the last note for 14-15 seconds.

2. Since I Fell For You. The classic version I grew up with was by Lenny Welch. Barbra changes up a few things and definitely extends the phrases....and then....right before the last verse....she suddenly jumps a full octave, and without taking a breath before or after the jump sings the whole buildup and beginning of the next phrase. Amazing.

3. A million others, but I also love her phrasing on Evergreen, from the movie "A Star Is Born". The song is so much more lush because of her long phrases and the rich smoothness of her tone in this.

Check it out. You'll see what I mean.

Again, thanks so much for all the thoughts on Falling and OMWH.

He really is special, y'all.

Hee, great discussion overnight! Nice to wake up to. I don't tend to musically analyze the songs Clay sings, because I can't get my mind off the voice long enough to do it. But I know I do love a lot of the guitar on OMWH the album, especially in EIDN and Falling. Love the following quote:

There's a sophisticated musicality to ATDW and OMWH that some people just don't get. If someone just doesn't like the musical styles or the songs, fine, but if a person doesn't "get" the musicality and wishes it were more "dumbed down," that's not a reflection on the album, but on the listener. IMO.

:clap:

I LOVE Clay's phrasing!! I love his unique "accent" when he sings. I love how he will put unique emphasis in unexpected places. Even though he will occasionally break a word as stated earlier, he doesn't do it that often, fortunately. Anyone else made crazy by "O night di-(breath)-vine" on MCWL? Argh!!!

Hee, yep, the first time I heard it I went "oh, no!" but he never sang it that way in concert. I have quite a few outstanding live versions of OHN on my iPod. I used to really dislike the way Ruben would take a breath in the middle of words on AI. Other than OHN, I can't think of another instance of Clay doing it. Which is why I love this second quote, too:

Another reason is that the man has freakishly amazing lung power. He can sing forever without taking a breath. I think he has gills. Everlasting Love, anyone? Or the big note in Solitaire? Not only does he hold the note forever, he then sings the next phrase without taking a breath!!!! He's just not human.

:cryingwlaughter: But oh so true!

Our weather has taken a sudden turn. It went down to 9 degrees C here last night. I didn't last to the end of the baseball game, just not into freezing my butt off. But at least I can now turn off the dreaded A/C! :)

Wow! Thanks for all the great analysis. I knew there was a reason I liked his voice. I guess I'll have to listen to "Falling" again. I like the song but having that beat makes my mind wander. My focus has been pretty bad lately.

Have a great Tuesday all. The weather is finally breaking from the nineties here today so I may get a little yard work in today.

Now don't laugh, but when I first heard Clay on AI, he reminded me of Barbra Streisand. Seriously!!! And the reason was, because she used unique phrasing, had a clear voice with no register breaks. carried phrases through to complete the song's intent, and could hold notes forever.

Back in the day when variety shows were all over TV, there was a summer replacement show for Dean Martin that starred a guy called Keefe Brasselle...who was never heard of before or since. He had a young female singer on one week that looked nothing like the pop stars of the day. She was not pretty, had a big nose, and was wearing sort of a shapeless black dress. Then she sang a song I didn't know..."A Sleeping Bee". OMG!! I listened to that clear, honeyed, gorgeous voice caress that song. She extended the phrases like honey dripping from a comb. No breaks....really long phrases that told the story more clearly....notes held forever. WOW!!! What I wouldn't have given to be able to sing like that.

Most of you youngsters were not around in her early days, but she was unbelievable in her pre-diva days, She turned songs on their heads, a la Clay on "Here You Come Again".

Ah, finally, something I can get on board with! :D Not a golf fan, or a Tiger fan, or even a Falling fan (I don't dislike it, but it's probably my least favorite song on the CD.) And I'm quite hopelessly non-musical :unsure: , so all of the explanations of how Clay sings, and why it's good (or not) go right over my head. :o I just like music that I respond to emotionally. Clay fits the bill, and so does Barbra- my all time favorite female singer. My parents owned several of her early albums, and I stole them for myself. I would love to hear her voice and Clay's together someday! :wub:

PS: I always thought Barbra was gorgeous, because she was so unusual-looking. She didn't look like everyone else. Maybe that's something else that attracted me to Clay in the beginning.

Would somebody please tell Billy Ray Cyrus that his hair looks NASTY plastered to his head!??!!!

Ick!

He's on Today this morning talking about Nashville Star.

He did say one thing I liked. Quoted Thomas Edison re: Failure.

The only way to success is through Failure - I didn't get the exact quote.

But - ick. The hair.

:cryingwlaughter:

Our weather has taken a sudden turn. It went down to 9 degrees C here last night. I didn't last to the end of the baseball game, just not into freezing my butt off. But at least I can now turn off the dreaded A/C! :)

OMG, Luckiest, it's winter here in Oz and it's gone down to 18 degrees C and that's too cold for moi!!!! And I'm not exaggerating, it has flared up my CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) condition in my left hand and the pain keeps me awake most of the night. No matter how much heat I apply to keep my hand/wrist warm, it seems to make no difference if it's cold outside. I need to move to a warmer climate! Strange how it seems to be under control in summer (usually, but not always) and flares up in winter.

But regardless, CTS or not, 9 degrees C is kinda cold in anyone's language!

There's a sophisticated musicality to ATDW and OMWH that some people just don't get. If someone just doesn't like the musical styles or the songs, fine, but if a person doesn't "get" the musicality and wishes it were more "dumbed down," that's not a reflection on the album, but on the listener. IMO.

Oh man, yes -- this is sooooooooo true to me. I don't tend to listen to Clay with "good headphones" (don't own a pair), but I have a fantastic set of stereo speakers, and there's sooo much nuance there, with both albums.

I've loved the discussion of Falling very much -- I truly have learned a lot. I just wish I could explain better why it doesn't make me go "ooooooh, great song!" I'm with laljeterfan:

or even a Falling fan (I don't dislike it, but it's probably my least favorite song on the CD.)

Hee. Maybe I need to go listen to it again.

*raises hand*

So why does he do that? Well, partially, I think it's because he hears unique possibilities in the music. Partially, I think he likes playing with the music. And partially, I think it's because he can.

And this is why I had one of those "frustrated with Clay" moments a few weeks ago with him -- when he said "he wasn't a musician." I don't have those moments very often, but that was one of them (mark it on the calendar, folks!). He's got such a good sense of musicality in his interpretations, and his phrasing. He makes a song INTERESTING, demmit!

EL was really the first time I noticed the voice before the man. I think I fell off the couch that night when he held that note....and held it...and held it....

So....are we about done with Falling? I was thinking of giving it until about lunch time today. Then we can start with the next one. (Don't forget, we're going alphabetical!) Doesn't mean we can't keep going with Falling though....Hee.

Thanks for all the interesting Falling posts! I can't really contribute much to the discussion from my LACK of knowledge but I love listening to/reading it!

Luckiest1, it's been a chilly spring/early summer, hasn't it?? Not that I'm complaining really, because a) I don't have to shovel it and B ) I love the sun at most any temperature....but I'm ready for some HOT weather!

Claytonic, I know whutcha mean about the cold! When I lived up north I just about died in the winter. And believe me, we're not talking 18 above! More like 18 BELOW for months and months and months and months...is 18 above really cold for you in the winter? Yikes!! Don't move here!!

ETA: for the Fahrenheit folks....18 above is about 70 degrees.

Oh. Good Morning.

:)

Loved catching up on the discussion from last night.

Perma! and Gibby!

I'm ready for that road trip! Although I've forgotten most of what I ever knew about music. Very much fun to read!

Anybody else in love with "A-lone" in Falling?

I don't know if anyone else would have phrased/pronounced it that way. I think most would have sung "uh-lone". It makes it sound more lonesome, somehow.

And - I don't know why, but I always expect, "Silence, my old friend" instead of "Silence, long lost friend". I think the second one is better. But my brain wants to sing the first! Guess if I ever sang it the CRLG would kick in! :cryingwlaughter:

And that percussive sound that I like - the "pprrrdddttt" -

is that the fret effect you're talking about?

I also sometimes expect "the loneliness descends" instead of "the loneliness within". Within has so much more emotional 'intent' for lack of a better word. Again, the CRLG! :cryingwlaughter:

ETA:

I have to work today so please DO NOT discuss SL or another of my favorites today or I will :cry4:

A lot!

EATA:

Oh. IIEOU. He's not a cappella, strictly speaking, in the beginning. There is accompaniment - piano and strings?. He is the only voice, but not "all alone". :)

Right?

Oy! I can't speak for other critics, just myself, but I have an inkling why they sometimes bring that up. Clay has a jingoistic and eccentric way of phrasing a lyric. He has such an abundance of full-throated tone that sometimes he doesn't need to attack a phrase with such energy. He has a tendency to put accent on unstressed words in the lyric. Let's use Solitaire as an example. In the phrase, "Solitaire's the only game in town." He sings it, "Sool-i-tairrrres's the only game iiiiiin (on f natural, let's say) town (the preposition is heavily accented while the word town is riffed on descending notes.)

I have to ask. Does jingoistic have another definition I don't know about? Because I don't think Clay's phrasing is overly patriotic, excessively nationalistic, chauvinistic, saber-rattling or pro-war. Hate to pick, but jingoism is one of my least favorite things in the world.

Anybody ever see the bumber sticker: I Support Meaningless Jingoistic Cliches

I've heard of Everyman .... but Every.music.icon?

Clay as a red-headed Buddy Holly:

Justbychance3.jpg

Clay as Paul McCartney (I see Yesterday):

KnoxvilleDCAT2-1.jpg

I know I've seen Clay as Elvis before .... and George Harrison lookalike pictures a few times.

How many other titans of music is Clay Aiken physically channeling while singing in his unmistakable and unique voice.

Just a note: It is because Clay is so unique that many don't like him. There's nothing wrong with that. All originals have detractors. It's historical. It's unavoidable. But it's a sign of greatness. Lots of people I've come across in my life didn't like Streisand, Celine, Dean Martin, Elvis, Dylan or the Beatles. It's personal taste, but a singular, unique talent will rise.

FWIW: I remember the early 60's when any mention of Barbra Streisand in the media involved her nose. I remember a big buzz about Barbra stating she was happy with her appearance and would not have a nose job. People were .. What? She's not going to fix that nose? She'll NEVER be a star! Even when she was on top with records, movies and Broadway -- there were those who didn't like her because they said she was ugly. So what's changed in human nature and the lowest common denominator?

ETA:

I have to work today so please DO NOT discuss SL or another of my favorites today or I will :cry4:

A lot!

Hee! I think I mentioned upthread that we're going ALPHABETICALLY through the songs.

*sob* Just because I'm not enamored of Falling, and Cotton is, she's ignoring my posts. *sob*

BTW, listened to Falling again on the way to work this morning. I do have to agree that the intervals in the song are really cool, and different (for example, the "closer, than ever," which I'm pretty sure is the 7th interval that Gibby mentioned), and that Clay does them well. And yet, I still just don't get anything much out of the song.

I'm wondering if much of it IS me -- because so many people seem to think this is a sure-fire radio hit, and I've been totally programmed into really not liking any discussion of "this song is a radio hit." It's hard for me to get past that idea, because it seemed to me that it was drummed into my head, that "HE HAS TO HAVE A SONG ON THE RADIO," when I keep reading Clay saying "not a big deal to me." Would I like to hear Clay on the radio? Of course -- I think it would be fantastically fun. But I'm not the person to pick that song for him to be on the radio, and IMO there's just too many experts out there who think "this" song, or "that" song should be the radio single. It's one of my "hot buttons," and I'm going to have to deal.

I will say that I think it's great that so many here DO get this song. YAY!

Another BTW -- Perma, I too LOVED PD with all my heart and soul, and would have LOVED it being a single.

*shrug*

kf, didn't notice the "jingoistic" thing in that particular post, but you're right. And I'm with you on that too. Not a good word in my vocabulary.

FWIW: I remember the early 60's when any mention of Barbra Streisand in the media involved her nose. I remember a big buzz about Barbra stating she was happy with her appearance and would not have a nose job. People were .. What? She's not going to fix that nose? She'll NEVER be a star! Even when she was on top with records, movies and Broadway -- there were those who didn't like her because they said she was ugly. So what's changed in human nature and the lowest common denominator?

Too bad Jennifer Grey didn't pay attention.

Hee, I guess it's relative. I mean, right now, when we've had temps upwards are 30 C, yeah, it's flippin' cold! But in the winter, I'd probably go out without a jacket if it got as warm as 9 C! Hee.

I'd never heard of the word "jingoistic" before so I googled it. Don't see anything musical about it except they mention a song with the phrase "by jingo" in it a few times. :huh:

So, if we are going alphabetically, does that mean FIEKY is next? Please please please?

Yeah, lung power - it still is the second most impressive thing about his voice to me (glory note slut here!) Number one is tone and timbre (his voice in generally is just such a combination of lushness and brightness and clarity) - I can't think off the top of my head any "brash, strident, harsh, nasally" ones - give me some examples. But I really like the brightness of his voice.

But the breath control has always been so very amazing - especially how freakin' easy he makes it look. At the last eHP get together, we watched both versions of The Prayer (BTW, I don't like The Prayer. Not even Clay's and Hannah's version. Don't hate it - will keep a copy on my WMP - I just go 'eh' at it). Hannah was putting some effort into it. The other dude that sang it with Hannah looked like he was trying to give birth. To a great BIG baby. Without anesthesia. Clay looked like he was strolling through the park. The man has MAD talent. He really is a vocal stylist par excellence...like Ms. Streisand (who when she is good, she is frickin' great - but she in generally just doesn't speak to me).

Hmmmmmm...the headphone thing. A great pair of headphones is a great pair of headphones - but I will still defend a CD on a really good 5.1 surround sound system - Clay's voice coming out of the center channel straight at you - the guitar (or some some stringy thing) sounded like there's a dude to the left just kickin' it - the bass from the subwoofer adding that rumble that you can just feel through your body - the music surrounding you - man, that's heaven.

Eeeeek! I'm so excited - I immediately got a subtle interpretation thingie! When Cesario wrote that, I had an immediate grasp what what she meant - a bright, brassy, shameless, standup, you-can't-not-pay-attention-to-me kind of singing that is associated with jingoistic songs - but not with the political meaning. Like in this description from a review:

The creators of the new musical "The IT Girl" have approached their source material with TREMENDOUS RESPECT…. Paul McKibbins... recalls pop classics of the period without mimicking them. McNicholl is at his jingoistic best with the catchy title "It" song. Elsewhere, his lyrics are EQUALLY FUN.... Mark Nayden's black-and-white set designs, together with Robin L. McGee's equally muted costumes, are WONDERFULLY EVOCATIVE. As director, McNICHOLL SHOWS FLAIR FOR STAGING MUSICAL NUMBERS, with a visit to Coney Island a particular roller-coaster treat. Stephen DeRosa has "it" as well as everything else.

-- Robert Hofler, VARIETY

Sort of like "threadbare" - heh.

*sob* Just because I'm not enamored of Falling, and Cotton is, she's ignoring my posts. *sob*<snip> the "jingoistic" thing in that particular post, but you're right. And I'm with you on that too. Not a good word in my vocabulary.

Aww!

Sorry! I was trying to catch up and went back to read, saw it - but had to shower to get ready for work - and DH had the nerve to expect to have a morning conversation with me. *g*

After I saw your alpha reference, I went and looked to see what we'd be doing next - so GOG, right?

I'm okay with that.

Yeah. Not liking the jingoistic ref. either. Wrong on so many levels.

I don't wanna go to work - rather stay here and talk Clay music!

But - I wanna have a Clay fund in case the dude ever decides to tour again! :imgtongue:

ETA:

Oh yeah. Fieky! even better!

Oh, yes, Perma! I totally agree with your comments about Clay's amazing breath support and lung power. I, too, love how he doesn't breathe between phrases at times, elongating and intensifying the phrase. Vocal coaches have to work with less-talented singers a great deal to get them to do that, but Clay seems to do it intuitively and rather effortlessly.

OMG, Luckiest, it's winter here in Oz and it's gone down to 18 degrees C and that's too cold for moi!!!! And I'm not exaggerating, it has flared up my CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) condition in my left hand and the pain keeps me awake most of the night. No matter how much heat I apply to keep my hand/wrist warm, it seems to make no difference if it's cold outside. I need to move to a warmer climate! Strange how it seems to be under control in summer (usually, but not always) and flares up in winter.

Brrrrrr! Stay warm, claytonic and luckiest!

EATA:

Oh. IIEOU. He's not a cappella, strictly speaking, in the beginning. There is accompaniment - piano and strings?. He is the only voice, but not "all alone". :)

Right?

Cotton, the first two notes are a capella. Clay sings 'It's in' without accompaniment, and then piano and strings come in at 'every'. I imagine that there will probably be some sort of intro if he sings this in concert so that he can come in on the right note. Unless he has perfect pitch!

I remember that, too! I also remember reading that she found out that surgery on the nose would change the way her voice sounds, because it would change the resonance. I don't know what the primary reason was for not having the surgery, but I do remember that was a big one from what I read at the time. Course, we know that the media isn't too reliable!

Wow, really enjoyed catching up. Gibby, I love the way you explain things... you make it understandable so thanks. Uh, you too KAndre :cryingwlaughter: But Seriously, I've noticed Clay's phrasing from time to time and it's part and parcel of why I love him. The only really really odd thing I can think of that always took me away from his singing and registered with me as being well odd is SSB ...home of the brave..I think he puts the accent on THE and he practically skips over OF. It's just a song I've heard so much and he sings it like nobody else.

He used to have more of a problem with voice modulation and going from lower to higher registers... (and I'm sure that's all the wrong terminolgy) but I don't even notice that anymore. He's really gotten good at the transitions. The man has gone on a million tours...and he's just gotten better and better over time to me. I've always been all about the voice first and man, it just does something to me. The reason I'm just gonna ditto Cotton on everything lyrics and Gibby everything else is because I don't listen to music in the manner. I usually am lulled by his voice into some other place ...a beautiful place and I'm just there for the duration. And when I'm done...I can only say perceptive things like..oh that was beautiful..wow he sounded great. That voice is a treasure.

But the breath control has always been so very amazing - especially how freakin' easy he makes it look. At the last eHP get together, we watched both versions of The Prayer (BTW, I don't like The Prayer. Not even Clay's and Hannah's version. Don't hate it - will keep a copy on my WMP - I just go 'eh' at it). Hannah was putting some effort into it. The other dude that sang it with Hannah looked like he was trying to give birth. To a great BIG baby. Without anesthesia. Clay looked like he was strolling through the park. The man has MAD talent. He really is a vocal stylist par excellence...like Ms. Streisand (who when she is good, she is frickin' great - but she in generally just doesn't speak to me).

Brava K!

Perma..I love Barbra Streisand and have a lot of her oldies but goodies on my ipod. She's a very multi talented woman...I thought she was funny as hell too. Do you know why she didn't act more?

*sob* Just because I'm not enamored of Falling, and Cotton is, she's ignoring my posts. *sob*<snip> the "jingoistic" thing in that particular post, but you're right. And I'm with you on that too. Not a good word in my vocabulary.

Aww!

Sorry! I was trying to catch up and went back to read, saw it - but had to shower to get ready for work - and DH had the nerve to expect to have a morning conversation with me. *g*

After I saw your alpha reference, I went and looked to see what we'd be doing next - so GOG, right?

I'm okay with that.

Thanks. You made me feel better.

I think the next one (including extras) is FIEKY. I'll put up a "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" when it's time. I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

LOL.

I guess I need to move to Canada. I HATE hot weather. Anything past 80 degrees F. and I'm DYING. This morning was perfect for me -- 52 degrees. Fantastically cool morning. Anyway, I always say "I can put on more layers in the winter. I can't take off too many layers in the summer."

Unless he has perfect pitch!

I've always wondered if he does indeed have "perfect pitch." I pretty much do -- I've played piano for so long that if someone says "sing a G" I can pretty much do it. I think Clay may be the same way. (I may be projecting though, because I'd love for there to be that connection with him and I. *g*)

I remember that, too! I also remember reading that she found out that surgery on the nose would change the way her voice sounds, because it would change the resonance. I don't know what the primary reason was for not having the surgery, but I do remember that was a big one from what I read at the time. Course, we know that the media isn't too reliable!

My Mom could not STAND Barbra Streisand, simply because of her nose. She thought she "sang through it" as well. So my feelings on Babs are kind of colored by my Mom's feelings. I have always admired her willingness to "be herself," though.

This discussion of Falling is fantastic... I can't contribute except to say I like the song... near the top of my list. I love Clay's unique phrasing... the way he waits just a beat before starting the next word/note is really his own style and my thought is that he does that stuff, not only cause he can, but so he doesn't get bored... :cryingwlaughter:

My hope is that one day he will get past the stupid stereotypes that have critics taking potshots instead of really listening and appreciating the man's vocal talents. One day ( the sooner the better, thank you very much)!

If not Perfect Pitch, then pre-tee danged close, IMO.

Remember the radio interview where he was challenged to start Invisible? And he nailed it! Matched the beginning exactly with the recorded version?

I had an Uncle with PP. He would tell you what note your appliances hummed in! :cryingwlaughter:

Now there's a skill that will take you places! :cryingwlaughter:

Seriously, though. He was a great band director and played the French Horn like nobody's business!

PS

I edited my previous post - FIEKY! Even better cuz I can live without that one! :F_05BL17blowkiss: