#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

You know there is a certain someone that likes to say don't wait until the holidays to tell people how you feel about them.... and I've been saying this to Ansa and LdyJ lately...but I must say.. I love FCA. I have been enjoying the hell out of yall.

It's true...she's said it a lot. And I've said it right back to her too....

DAMN..that's my damn CITH song too. OOPS.

*I finished mine last weekend, neener neener*

Heh. I just called my husband and said "I'm tired, I don't want to cook." TGIFriday's, here we come! Woohoo!

Hmmm....I'm thinking it may be time to call...

SONG OF THE DAY: Forget I Ever Knew You

You can all still talk Falling (as it seems most of you want to do) if you want....but I'm interesting in knowing people's reactions to this one too. I'll gather my thoughts on this one tonight (after a beer with dinner, *hic*), but I have a feeling I'm all alone on this one too (although there may be a Patsy beside me, or I hope so...).

Sorry, interrupting this Clay voice talk to link you to an article in Education Week in which a school that's part of our (my workplace) network of schools and that implements our philosophies of education transformation. Rhode Island is really ahead of the pack in doing this and this article is about a student who presented her project about sign language. The interesting thing is that she signed as she presented and showed how sign language can be used to communicate with babies and children with autism.

It made me think of the times Clay has used sign language for simple things like "Thank you" and how he probably used the silent language to communicate with his students, too. Do you think? Wonder if he knows it well....

anyway...

Education Week

Now, as y'all were saying...

Clay shore sangs purdy, don't he? :lilredani:

ETA: Never mind the link...it won't work...here's the gist of it:

In Rhode Island, performance-based assessments are now required for high school graduation.

By Scott J. Cech

Providence, R.I.

When it came time for Rachel Patterson to show what she’d learned during her eight-month senior project on sign language, the Barrington High School student didn’t just turn in a research paper.

Before a panel of five judges on a recent afternoon, the poised 17-year-old delivered a 10-minute presentation on the use of sign language to communicate with babies and people with autism. And in an approach particularly suited to her subject matter, Ms. Patterson expressed her thoughts by speaking and signing at the same time.

Proud RI teacher responding. I am at an elem. school and we have a wonderful program for children with autism.

Funny, though, most teachers in RI feel they get really "slammed" by the local media.

In spite of it, we just keep on doing our best.

Heh - would you be surprised to know I looked at it and thought to myself, "Ya know, it's not as catchy as I remembered."

Then I thought, "Waaaaait a minute! It's a different song!"

Then I thought, "That Walrus thing looks sorta familiar..."

Then I saw something about Paul McCartney on the side...

Then it finally clicked!

My BIL would be so ashamed!

Heh.

I thought the "since you don't care for the Beatles" mention was a dead giveaway! Anyway, the one you like is Subterranean Homesick Blues -- which is considered to be the First Music Video Ever.

I think I need to move my office. Everytime I look out the window I get distracted for some strange reason .....

100_0008.jpg

Speaking of CITH .... in a sing-song mocking voice she said ...

I did my CITH song

I did my CITH song

I have it posted

Not gonna get sporked

ha ha ha ha ha

Duckyvee - was this the Death Cab for Cutie song?
-This seems to be a big radio hit.

Yes. That's it. I like it a lot, but then, I like that band. I've been following them as long as I've been following Clay. I knew the song, but not that well because, well, the Death Cab CD came out the week after OMWH and I tried to listen to it, but just couldn't focus on it. I'm still in my Clay-only-zone. It will pass. I was able to get past it during the concert which was really good. I'd see them again, for sure.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Beatles. Dylan, not so much. Too whiny sounding for me.

I did my CITH song, too. I'm afraid of the spork.

FIEKY - I listened to it a couple of times, but it didn't grab my interest really. Seemed redundant, and I'm not a fan of glory notes unless particularly well placed with a purpose that reflects the meaning of the song. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Desertrose, I don't know why I'm admitting this but it seems that for the last month or so every single time I go into Randall's they play that song, I Am A Woman In Love ..... and I sing it, oh yes I do. Especially the "it's a right I defend, over and over again." Yes, and if no one is around I emote with gestures and everything. Now if someone's been watching that hidden camera, maybe I shouldn't go back in there ..... maybe I'll start coming over to your Randall's now.

Forget I Ever Knew You ... well, this damned song made me have to go out and buy several more copies of OMWH, and from sticking Walmart, no less. I had copies already earmarked for giveaway and then after I heard FIEKY these friends just had to have this song, you know. Yes, it's a necessity for me. OMWH does not exist without it.

I LOVE this song seriously. And what's so bad about a "song in a song," or two songs in one? Hasn't anybody ever heard A Day in the Life? Or Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert? This song probably gets a more consistent push of the RPT button in my car than any other -- maybe because it is last, but maybe because it is FABUUUUU, and that last breathless catch in his voice is sinful, I tell ya, SINFUL. And since I have nothing against certain types of sin ....

Hey chach, it's You Never Give Me Your Money from AR.
Thanks, that's the one CD I'm sure sure the location of at the moment! :note to self, look in car...:

Also, aren't you on a Dylan kick these days. If so, here's a clip of one of my top 5 Dylan songs -- Love Minus Zero/No Limit -- it's the one in London where they're passing the guitar around and Donovan first realizes his career is date-stamped .... and I love Donovan but this is so evident. Like, this is the competition, oh shit.

Valentines can't buy her -- that's a money line for me. Of course, it helps me understand why KAndre doesn't care for Dylan. ** hee** Another favorite line -- there's no success like failure and failure's no success at all. Another favorite line -- the whole damn song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mKoV1yJnqAI&feature=related

God, everybody smoked back then. I've forgotten how omnipresent the smoke was ... of every flavor.

Yep - I've been devouring anything I can find on Dylan lately. :D That is really cool, it's on one of the documentaries I've been watching lately. Did you see the part where Donovan sings his song, "I'll Sing a Song for You"? And Dylan is grinning like a cat!? Wonder what he was thinking? Bob Dylan And Donovan. Then Donovan asks Dylan to sing "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue."

I asked mrchach if we could name the newly painted car "Baby Blue" and he said, "but it's not baby blue!!" He didn't get it. :cryingwlaughter:

And because last week marked 45 years since the murder of Medger Evers ... here's Bob just a few weeks later in 1963 at his first Newport Festival ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XUvQzgxTxmE&feature=related

and then on August 28th of that year ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fffHzrtHhZM

Hey, Dylan got a haircut before that August thing!! :D I got another documentary called "The Other Side of the Mirror" and it was all 3 of Dylan's Newport Folk Festival appearances. It's amazing to watch his transformation. Have you seen "I'm Not There" yet?

That sent me on another youtube trip. THANKS!! (not like I have anything else to do!! :D) Watching

now. He's got a harmonica rack! Influenced much? :D In Dylan's book he described how hard it was to even get a harmonica rack. The first on he had was made from a coathanger. Then he managed to find one in the basement of an old music store that was made back in the 30's.

Maybe we should start a Dylan thread somewhere?? :D

KAndre, since you're not a fan of the Beatles .... and the only Dylan song you like is the one with the cue cards ... perhaps this will have some tiny influence ...

This branched off into a whole bunch of other interviews I'd never seen!!! COOL!!

Maybe we should start a Dylan thread somewhere?? :D

Entertainment section is fine if ya'll want to go deep....or need a stable place to share info, clips etc.

My only thought on Dylan is he can't sing and hurts my ears :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

don't forget, you guys can start threads if you want...if you need help figuring out where it goes just ask a mod. And peeps, don't forget VIEW NEW POSTS if you want to see what's being talked about elsewhere here. Have I mentioned that lately? :cryingwlaughter:

And what's so bad about a "song in a song," or two songs in one? Hasn't anybody ever heard A Day in the Life? Or Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert?

Nothing. I sort of like that. You're making me want to listen to it with fresh ears.

Ok I need some support here! Bad things come in threes....Right???? Right????? :cry4::cry4:

Well 1) when the eHP was over I discovered a hole in my roof 2) My DH was taken to the ER with a severe bladder infection on Sat. (He lives in one state and I another and he wasn't sure he'd tell me) and 3) I am having my kitchen re-done today and the guys called to tell me I have termites...ah the joys of living in TX. Now it is just a small infestation so not too bad but bad enough.

So that makes the 3 things!

Now for the good I got to come home early...yeah and I cannot cook because the whole kitchen is torn apart even yeaher (tis so a word) and I get to do nothing for the next 3 nights because I can't clean or do laundry! So life is not looking too bad right now....gotta make lemonade!!! Have to live up to my name don't ya know!

Just in case no-one else mentions it, this is one of the best MBs out there...we have the best mods (shameless suck up) :F_05BL17blowkiss: and the coolest members too. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

We have a view new post button........who knew!!!

I keed, I keed!!! :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

OMG, you guys are dusting off the cobwebs from my ear training of yesteryear! Absolute pitch, or perfect pitch, is like LdyJ said, you hear a G and you know it's a G. Or someone says, "hit a G" and you do. Relative pitch is hearing a G and being able to identify an E, or hitting any other notes of the scale in relation to the G.

Thanks for the quick and dirty definition of perfect/relative pitch, kf! I've always thought of perfect pitch as being something that is innate and present from an early age. Some people that I've known with perfect pitch having amazing musical capabilities, but can't stand it when music is transposed. People with perfect pitch can sometimes play music by ear, too. Relative pitch can be learned by people who aren't born with completely perfect (or absolute) pitch. Often people with relative pitch will need to hear a note (like middle C) and then can pick out another note (like G) by figuring out the interval. People can learn perfect pitch to some extent, but often still don't have as many capabilities with it as people who are born with it. IMHO. :)

Last week I read something about a breathing technique that some singers use - it involved breathing in through the nose while singing and something about the cheeks. Pretty sure facial cheeks :-) - it was supposed to get around that big gasps of air thing that bugs me - Kelly does that, for instance, I can't stand to listen to her..... Clay used to take in air through the side of his mouth, have not noticed that lately.

Anyways, I tried it and almost passed out, I guess it takes practice. I will try and remember where I saw it.

LMAO!!! Heee, thanks for the giggles.

Now Kelly C does vocal warm ups and how many shows does she miss each tour? I have heard other people do some warm ups that I would catagorize as abrupt screams - maybe there are not too many people who know how to warm up.

Many voice teachers use 'sirens' as vocal warmups. Could that be the abrupt screams you heard? Sirens are usually used after the voice is a little bit warmed up. Sirens help the singer warm up the entire register, as well as working on singing smoothly through the vocal break.

Okay, you pushed me ... you wanna hear jingoistic ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZZgdzBm2R8

BWAH!!

EEEEEE, FIEKY!! There's so much to love about this song. I've been running around doing errands with my daughters today, and I'm not done. Hopefully I will have some time tonight to post about what I like about FIEKY.

Running by to say "Hi" and "Bye" as I'm madly cleaning and packing--going to St. Louis to see me DD and her family. I hope there will be SOME news when i get back next week.

Any news will do.

You know, cha cha, if it's Dylan, I've pretty much done it or heard it or seen it -- but haven't seen I'm Not Here--yet.

My two older kids have always been music fiends, but had no interest in Dylan whatsoever. Period. Underline that. My baby, the guitar man, never cared about listening to music of any kind when he was growing up. He started liking music when he learned to play the guitar at age 13. And even then, he just liked playing the guitar and still didn't listen to much other music. And then one day he heard a song and was all "Who is THAT?" and I said, "That's Dylan" and he's all "Dylan Who" and then the two of us spent over a year immersed in All Things Dylan. The song, btw, was It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding).

I don't care for Dylan, but I luuuuuuurve me some Donovan. :wub:

{{{merrieeee}}}} You are right, they always come in threes, so you are safe now! ;)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, FIEKY! At first, I didn't give it the time of day, I was too immersed in OMWH proper, and I didn't have a Walmart copy for the first couple of weeks anyways. But now, I can't listen to any other kind! Either Walmart or a burned one that includes FIEKY, IIEOOU, and WINY.

I think the part that people either love or hate is the big crescendo part, with the glory note. I used to think it sounded off key, like the note Clay was hitting didn't match the notes the instruments were playing. But eventually I came to realize that the instrumentation is just gradually going up and up until it gets to where Clay's already at, and now I freaking LOVE that part! And, OMG, that final note, on headphones, is killer. :Thud:

Which brings me to the lyrics. Obviously written about a relationship. But who knows what Clay hears in it.......everyone can interpret it their own way, right? It depends on my mood. But I can sometimes listen to it with an ear to it being about the fandom........and I don't like that. Not at all. So I try to erase that from my mind and listen to it as someone pretty pissed off with an ex-lover. Yeah, that works better for me. :)

I have to ask. Does jingoistic have another definition I don't know about? Because I don't think Clay's phrasing is overly patriotic, excessively nationalistic, chauvinistic, saber-rattling or pro-war. Hate to pick, but jingoism is one of my least favorite things in the world.

Heh – you really are me! I was looking at that going, “What?” Unlike you, I thought *I* had screwed up what I thought it meant. <g>

Big Toby Keith fan? <eg>

*MTRR ...upbeat is a mood...uptempo is a speed. It's true. You can look it up.

THANK YOU!! You have no often how often I grit my teeth at the “upbeat” usage. Hello? I believe you mean “uptempo”. You can have an upbeat slow song, after all. What is "MTRR" though?

Okay, you pushed me ... you wanna hear jingoistic ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZZgdzBm2R8

That’s just mean.

<g> Perfect pitch, though.

It’s funny, watching that duet with Heather Headley made me realize that I think Clay is a much better singer now than he was then.

You know, cha cha, if it's Dylan, I've pretty much done it or heard it or seen it -- but haven't seen I'm Not Here--yet.

My two older kids have always been music fiends, but had no interest in Dylan whatsoever. Period. Underline that. My baby, the guitar man, never cared about listening to music of any kind when he was growing up. He started liking music when he learned to play the guitar at age 13. And even then, he just liked playing the guitar and still didn't listen to much other music. And then one day he heard a song and was all "Who is THAT?" and I said, "That's Dylan" and he's all "Dylan Who" and then the two of us spent over a year immersed in All Things Dylan. The song, btw, was It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding).

CRAP! I typo'd the name of the movie. It's "I'm Not There" like the song (which I am really unfamiliar with!) Just so you know!!

I really like It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding). It's so full of social comentary. And you keep expecting him to say, "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Dying)", which he never does. It's all implied tho. It's Alright Ma Lyrics & youtube

ducky - yes Dylans voice is kind of whiny and montone, but it's all about the lyrics. He has fascinating lyircs. And after awhile you get caught up and don't care that he's not the best singer.

FORGET I EVER KNEW YOU

This is one of the songs I usually hit repeat on, therefore, it must be one of my favorites! I love how it changes tempo after the first few phrases......... Love when it starts to rock out after the first part too!

"got nothin' to say, but I'll start writin' anyway"..."maybe today..."

"The dream comes true when the story ends..."

LOVE the lyrics!!

He's saying if he lets this person go, he can love himself and start living his life. This could be aimed at anybody, I don't think it's limited to just a lover.

Woo Hoo! FIEKY! FLOVE it!

It’s funny, watching that duet with Heather Headley made me realize that I think Clay is a much better singer now than he was then.
HeidiHo, amen! I know a lot of people absolutely swear by this duet and I think it's ....nice. But I've never heard all the greatness, quite frankly. I've heard him sound better. But it was soooooooooooo exciting when he was ON BROADWAY, wasn't it? (portentious, too, as it turned out :whistling-1: )

Leaving the office now so will listen to FIEKY a few hundred times on my way home, 'coss you lucky wenches are gonna hear from me later on this one! :cryingwlaughter:

Oh and keepingfaith, my soon-to-be 17 year old daughter absolutely LOVES Bob Dylan! She has him downloaded on her iPod and every now and then I'll hear her singing along in the house, basically imitating his...er...unique singing voice...pretty funny. Actually, it's fun to see the things she has on her iPod---Dylan, Heart, Tom Petty, Queen, Beatles, Michael Jackson, Wham!

BWAH! I've told her how ironic it is that so many of the sounds she enjoys are the ones of my 'younger years'...she just rolls her eyes and tolerates my commentary. :rolleyes:

Dang you people! I was thinking of songs I love, and remembered Marianne Faithfull singing She in a nightclub in a very violent movie called Crimetime. I went out and bought the CD a long time ago - A Secret Life - but I decided I want the clip where she sings in the movie.

Quite a girlcrush on her at that time. So I just found the DVD for 6.44 and will be asking how to rip the nightclub scene.

I was watching dylan sing Jokerman just now - v disturbing lyrics and video (think Bosch) - but I love it.

*MTRR ...upbeat is a mood...uptempo is a speed. It's true. You can look it up.

THANK YOU!! You have no often how often I grit my teeth at the “upbeat” usage. Hello? I believe you mean “uptempo”. You can have an upbeat slow song, after all.

Welp I stopped gritting my teeth and started using my voice when a friend mentioned she wanted Clay to do more "upbeat" songs...like WDC. Hello? indeed.

What is "MTRR" though?

May The Record Reflect.

What? We don't say that here? Must be my baseball board.

MTRR that I though it just had to be something to do with DTTR/L

Nah...baseball players wear cups. Can't tell.

Would that be anything like the Grail? Mighty uncomfortable if you ask me!