#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

Well, all of the FIEKY love and discussion is making me wonder if I'm missing something. I'm taking it in the car with me for my drive to work this morning to give it a proper, uninterrupted listen.

Happy Birthday, Couchie! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

COUCHIE

:7254:

Sorry about the Lakers lost last night...there is always next year...

Have a great day!!!

I see I'm back just in time and I missed a great discussion on Clay and his music and various different parts???

Been working on a couple of video montages for my girls school and I only started this weekend so I needed to give it my full attention. But in the end I was very happy with the outcome. The graduation will be this afternoon and the girls are going to be half day with friends coming over so I don;t know if I will be able to catch up.

Right now I need to catch up on chores and laundry...

SO ... I still might not be able to make extensive comments but I love FIEKY ...there was a time that the dissonance kinda threw me a bit...but I get it now and it just keeps playing in my mind.

Thanks to all for making this a fun board to check into the past three days...you were all just very chatty!!! But keep it up!!

QUOTE(me myb @ Jun 18 2008, 12:56 AM)

People in my real life find it very strange that these two very different singers/men have touched my life in such a meaningful way. I'm sure they think I am crazy or something. But I was drawn to each of them for a reason.

Both are the best at being exactly who they are and using the gifts God gave them.

Each is in a league of his own

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

For myself, I can add Leonard Cohen to that list!

What's funny to me now is that I first heard so many of Dylan's songs sung all smooth and pretty by Judy Collins and PP&M and other singers - and I really prefer to hear Bob sing them now. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, for example.

Judy Collins makes it a smooth and pretty song, Dylan makes it raw and more real.

Same for Leonard Cohen - biggest wasted CD money I ever spent was buying a CD of other singers (Tower of Power?) covering his songs. Well, watching Tom Petty and Don Henley jam on Everybody Knows was awesome, on TV, but Cohen sings it better, to me. And those lyrics, like Masters of War, are as heartbreakingly current today as they were too many years ago.

Lucinda Williams sings Passionate Kisses much better than whoever it was that got a radio hit out of it. IMO, etc.

Cohen not only wrote, but OWNS Hallelujah.

But everything Clay sings sounds better when he sings it, somehow. I hope he doesn't start covering Dylan and Cohen!

I don't really like Bob Dylan's voice BUT it's a voice so connected to his beautiful lyrics and so recognizable. I do love some of the covers of his songs but I know some fans who feel no one else can do a Dylan song justice.

I am very impressed with some of the members on this board; their ability to analyze a song, its melody and the singer's delivery .... is nothing short of amazing!

Happy Birthday, Couchie!!!!!!!!

:fest33: :voll:

Sorry about the playoff game - I have irrationally disliked Boston ever since I attended a playoff game in Philadelphia, in 1966, and Boston fans threw raw eggs on the floor and stopped the game. I did get to see Wilt and Bill Russell play, though!

I have completely gotten over my irrational dislike of the Lakers, due to the Shaq move from the Magic. Sniff.

A birthday present for couchie -- merrieee, avert your eyes!

unicefsf-13-1.jpg

As for the Celtics...well, I'm OK with them...

...because Matt Damon is a fan...

...and Matt Damon worked with Sarah Silverman on "I'm F***in' Matt Damon"...

...and Sarah Silverman is the girlfriend of Jimmy Kimmel...

...and Jimmy Kimmel seems to have a great working relationship with Clay Aiken.

See, everything can be connected to Clay.

*g*

Hey, cindilu, great to see you posting here!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO COUCHIE!!!

:00003653: :04: :00003653: :04: :00003653: :04: :00003653: :04: :00003653: :04: :00003653: :04: :00003653: :04: :00003653: :04: :00003653: :04: :00003653:

I don't really like Bob Dylan's voice BUT it's a voice so connected to his beautiful lyrics and so recognizable. I do love some of the covers of his songs but I know some fans who feel no one else can do a Dylan song justice.

I am very impressed with some of the members on this board; their ability to analyze a song, its melody and the singer's delivery .... is nothing short of amazing!

Well, I'm a big lover of Dylan and I'm not limiting his songs to his voice and his interpretation only. Has anyone watched or listened to the 30th anniversary of Dylan where his songs are sung by George Harrison, Willie Nelson, The Clancy Brothers, Neil Young, Tracy Chapman, Richie Havens, Tom Petty, Lou Reed, Stevie Wonder, Eddie Vedder (with the best version of Masters of War ever), Eric Clapton, The Band, Kris Kristofferson, Roger McGuinn, Johnny Cash, Chrissie Hynde, The O'Jays, Johnny Winter, John Mellencamp -- and Bob Dylan. I have this on VHS and have been waiting impatiently for the DVD.

For me it's never been about Dylan's voice, but about his Voice. He uses it, and in many ways that craggy voice has changed the world. I love his early spoken/song recordings like Talking John Birch Paranoid Blues - only his voice will do. I love Dylan's original of All Along the Watchtower -- but Hendrix has the definitive version forever.

djs111, I love me some Leonard Cohen too, and I agree, covers of his songs just don't appeal. His voice is so distinctive, and it fits his music. Interesting person too. He and Dylan are poets.

Couch Tomato,

:bday2:

kf said:

Well, I'm a big lover of Dylan and I'm not limiting his songs to his voice and his interpretation only. Has anyone watched or listened to the 30th anniversary of Dylan where his songs are sung by George Harrison, Willie Nelson, The Clancy Brothers, Neil Young, Tracy Chapman, Richie Havens, Tom Petty, Lou Reed, Stevie Wonder, Eddie Vedder (with the best version of Masters of War ever), Eric Clapton, The Band, Kris Kristofferson, Roger McGuinn, Johnny Cash, Chrissie Hynde, The O'Jays, Johnny Winter, John Mellencamp -- and Bob Dylan. I have this on VHS and have been waiting impatiently for the DVD.

For me it's never been about Dylan's voice, but about his Voice. He uses it, and in many ways that craggy voice has changed the world. I love his early spoken/song recordings like Talking John Birch Paranoid Blues - only his voice will do. I love Dylan's original of All Along the Watchtower -- but Hendrix has the definitive version forever.

Heee.......allow me to amend my opinion - I only really like to hear Bob Dylan sing the Bob Dylan songs I really like!

I think other versions are interesting, and can be very good indeed, etc., but some of Bob's songs leave me cold - Mighty Quinn, some others.

Four Strong Winds (written by Ian Tyson), sung by Ian and Sylvia, just blows away the 3,215 covers of it. Including the version sung by Dylan and The Band. IMO.

I would love to hear Clay sing Spanish is a Loving Tongue, though!

I have said this before, but The Last Waltz is such a treasury of music from those times, Scorsese should have gotten an Oscar for it, Robbie never looked lovelier, and everybody (almost) was there to sing. Not covers, collaborations. And Robbie wrote a LOT of songs, he just did not care to sing lead on them, he liked being part of the Band. I paid $60 for the VHS tape the minute it was available, now I have the DVD.

Thanks guys for all the birthday wishes. What a way to start the day...

Control of life is what one should learn now: its economic management.

I feel cautious, like a poor person, now I am forty-six.

VIRGINIA WOOLF, Diary, 18 March 1928

Hey Claytonic..this is my theme song for the next year. Except I'd change it up a little to...I can't believe I'm still a poor person now that I'm 46 so I better learn some economic management before the creditors take control of my life. :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: Yay I found my walmart CD... it was just a few inches of being lost forever heee.

Well, all of the FIEKY love and discussion is making me wonder if I'm missing something. I'm taking it in the car with me for my drive to work this morning to give it a proper, uninterrupted listen.

Bwah, well, as per my post yesterday about goooood headphones (or a great sound system, as per KAndre - I'll be right over, by the way), I will say (with a snobbish head toss and an obnoxious sniff) that listening in the car, while it may prove uninterrupted, still may not be a "proper" listen. Too many distractions, less than optimal sound conditions.

I haven't written a complete opinion of this song yet, but in short, I adore it. I DIDN'T "get it" the first time I heard it...in fact, I went "huh?"...but I fell in love completely on second listen, when I got past the very unusual structure of the song (such as the 'unresolved' glory note) to really listened to what he was singing and HOW he was singing it. This is yet another song where the talents and craft of so many people SHOW...and I want to kiss Kipper's feet for ensuring that the anger, grief, and determination in that voice are front and center...and for capturing the (what IS that SEXY sound?) in Clay's throat as he releases that final note. Guh. This is an incredibly complex song. As usual, Clay makes it seem effortless. This could easily be an anthem for people resolving their feelings about painful relationships. I like this song so much that I have ONLY gifted the Walmart bonus album.

Um...yeah. I like it. A little. heh

More later.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Couchie.

Romantic.gif

OH DEAR. I was just looking to see if I could find Spanish is a Loving Tongue on Youtube, and I found a version by Bob Dylan.

Really really really awful. Bad.

Now I need to play some Dylan I like to erase it.

I can hear Ian Tyson singing that song, in my mind, any old time I think about it.

Bwah, well, as per my post yesterday about goooood headphones (or a great sound system, as per KAndre - I'll be right over, by the way), I will say (with a snobbish head toss and an obnoxious sniff) that listening in the car, while it may prove uninterrupted, still may not be a "proper" listen. Too many distractions, less than optimal sound conditions.

Oh, I don't know, I do some of my best listening in the car. Sure, I love my noise cancelling headphones, but rare is the opportunity to put them on and lose myself in the music...more distractions at home than in the car! I can turn the volume up and BLAST that sucker when I'm driving by myself (and even sing along, off key as I may be)! OMWH hasn't left my car's CD player since the day it came out.....I doubt it will until the next album. ;)

Oh, I don't know, I do some of my best listening in the car. Sure, I love my noise cancelling headphones, but rare is the opportunity to put them on and lose myself in the music...more distractions at home than in the car! I can turn the volume up and BLAST that sucker when I'm driving by myself (and even sing along, off key as I may be)! OMWH hasn't left my car's CD player since the day it came out.....I doubt it will until the next album. ;)

Me, too!

My car is my best stereo! :cryingwlaughter:

Although I do like listening to the iPod w earphones, I have an hour drive and in my small Caliber the sound is pretty great. I can adjust the bass & whatnot. Stereo controls are on the steering wheel, too, so I can repeat a song over and over and over - well, you get the picture!

Plus - it makes my drive pretty painless!

And - I can SING ALONG!!!

And there's nobody to get a pained look on their face.

:cryingwlaughter:

Not even the dog. :)

Me, too!

My car is my best stereo! :cryingwlaughter:

Although I do like listening to the iPod w earphones, I have an hour drive and in my small Caliber the sound is pretty great. I can adjust the bass & whatnot. Stereo controls are on the steering wheel, too, so I can repeat a song over and over and over - well, you get the picture!

Plus - it makes my drive pretty painless!

And - I can SING ALONG!!!

And there's nobody to get a pained look on their face.

Not even the dog. :)

*sniffs defiantly*

0801488419_snob.gif

Heh...Maybe I'm easily distracted? Also, my car stereo won't play CDs anymore, so when I listen in the car, it's with my iPod connected to a wireless device that plays through the radio...

So, FOR ME...the car is not optimum. Except for singing along. Which I often do...to the dismay of drivers (and dogs) everywhere. :)

Animated-Happy-Birthday.gif

clayb-day.jpg

Couchie!!!

Hey, keepingfaith! My hubby wants to meet you. :giveflowers: I've been reading some of the posts from here about music, songs and singers, etc. and he's :hubbahubba: over your taste in music. He said, "Who is THAT woman! :17f71c4d: I agree with her choices! I like HER!"

:glare:

Hands, off, woman... :grrrr:

Today hubby and I are going to a Giants game as guests of a hotel contact from a hotel I just negotiated a contract with for a conference in New Orleans. So we won't be spending any money today! WOo Hoo! We'll be wined and dined in the Sheraton's skybox, but first will have lunch with him outside the stadium..

It's a beautiful sunny day here in the Bay Area and I'm looking forward to this!

COUCHIE! Why didn't I know it was your birthday? We're DEFINITELY going to have to get together for an in-person B-Day celebration! I'm sooooo glad we met! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABE! :bday:

And just because--Early "CLANGELA":

MusikWDCFairfield.jpg

notafold.jpg

ETA: I just want you all to know that I did NOT draw that circle! Somebody else did---I don't know who---and it was like that when I right clicked and saved. I just wanted y'all to know that. :unsure: