#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

I have a Belkin one, and it's pretty easy to use and cool. But I think you're right, you've got to be in a place with a lot of open FM frequencies. When I try to use my iPod with FM transmitter in Chicago -- forget it. Nothing but static.

Yeah, that, I think, is the main problem around here. I am smack dab in the middle of Toronto, Detroit & Buffalo.......so I've got radio stations coming at me from all sides. There is nowhere on the dial without a signal. I like the idea of unhooking my antenna though......I rarely bother to listen to radio, anyways.

If you're in an area with a lot of stations, in addition to unhooking the antenna, you'll still need to find a frequency that doesn't get much use, that is, unless you can disconnect the antenna from the back of the radio/CD player itself.

Oh dear..I too ventured out there today and sigh...gloom...doom and then came across this at CH. Such a sensible realistic post, I hope it's ok that I brought it over here where "Clay fans come to play".

Claymaniac in PA wrote:

When an entertainer has a life-long career, there will be times when it's hot, and times when it's not. What he/she will never have is non-stop success and non-stop visibility, I don't care who he/she is. I wish folks would learn to be more confident and more able to take the times when nothing is going on, and not get all in a panic or all glum about it. A fandom shouldn't be something to torture yourself with and live in misery over--it should be fun!! I think our expectations can be unreasonable at times. As for the lack of appearances, this is exactly how he told us it would be--some promo, then a vacation, and a UNICEF trip. Hopefully there will be another round of promo down the road a bit. A tour is a good possibility. And there may be news of another sort--TV, a movie, whatever. Clay isn't a quitter or a whiner. He's a strong, vibrant, talented man. He's going to be around a long time.

Who is this CinPA person. :F_05BL17blowkiss: I'll just word her!!

Tell you what, she is one smart chickie if you ask me. :cryingwlaughter:

Oh dear..I too ventured out there today and sigh...gloom...doom and then came across this at CH. Such a sensible realistic post, I hope it's ok that I brought it over here where "Clay fans come to play".

Claymaniac in PA wrote:

When an entertainer has a life-long career, there will be times when it's hot, and times when it's not. What he/she will never have is non-stop success and non-stop visibility, I don't care who he/she is. I wish folks would learn to be more confident and more able to take the times when nothing is going on, and not get all in a panic or all glum about it. A fandom shouldn't be something to torture yourself with and live in misery over--it should be fun!! I think our expectations can be unreasonable at times. As for the lack of appearances, this is exactly how he told us it would be--some promo, then a vacation, and a UNICEF trip. Hopefully there will be another round of promo down the road a bit. A tour is a good possibility. And there may be news of another sort--TV, a movie, whatever. Clay isn't a quitter or a whiner. He's a strong, vibrant, talented man. He's going to be around a long time.

I think every fan should print this out and tape it to their computer so they can read it everyday and the doom and gloomers need to get a notebook and write it out 500 times, LOL!

Kim

Look, I did say don't take it personally. I don't want an accounting and you can only buy so many copies before it doesn't count anyway. But they can be gifted. I am still sitting on a bunch if pepsi points and can gift them to people who want to dowload them and everyone has a right to a life. But if you life is blaming other people on a message board, well, them maybe you aught to be doing something. One board had a mod encouraging people to play the ileagal download of the album, then someone there posts they don't have enough money, so they aren't going to buy the album and say they are burning lots of free copies for their friends ?!?!?! waht the - how dare someone post that? If they can't afford an album, at least they can not put more "free" copies out there. If that person complains I will seriously consider violence.

I have come to the conclusion taht there are bunches of fans who's life joy is making others miserable, but it is all moot since I can't go anywhere but here and only when I can actually connect and hope the connections holds.

ETA: I just want you all to know that I did NOT draw that circle! Somebody else did---I don't know who---and it was like that when I right clicked and saved. I just wanted y'all to know that. :unsure:

It's okay. Nuttin' to see...just another fold.

:whistling-1:

---

Tell you what, she is one smart chickie if you ask me. :cryingwlaughter:

Hee.

MTRR I think she's brilliant. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

---

Happy Birthday Your Tomato-ness! :lilredani:

I hope this makes you laugh. I'm pretty sure I stole it from playbiller.

funny-birthday1.gif

A fandom shouldn't be something to torture yourself with and live in misery over--it should be fun!!

Damn. Too bad this was posted on another board first...or I'd suggest it as a thread title. A permanent thread title.

Time to stream OMWH (the single) from AOL again....

ETA: Iseeme, Ken Barnes is the music writer for USA Today. He especially follows the careers of the AI alum.

ETA2: play, I know you're just expressing frustration, and I really didn't take your request for the single personally. Unfortunately, you're also "preaching to the choir" here, IMO....

One of these days I am going to learn to keep my mouth shut or at least my hands off the keyboard...not sure if your post was directed at me Playbiller; but we all approach our fandom from a different perspective. I am not one to broadcast that I am a Clay fan...no screensaver's on my computers; here or at work...I don't talk about him to people. I did send the link to the Amazon OMWH video to my sisters ( I have three) and only one responded and quite favorably, but I actually felt uncomfortable doing that. So purchasing a single and gifting it someone would be even more uncomfortable for me. If you have someone to give it to that would appreciate it, that is great...but I can't see buying more copies of the CD and stockpiling them at home...no different than them sitting on a store shelf to me. Not to offend you, but you do come on a little strong to me...I don't like being made to feel like a bad fan because I am not doing everything you think I should be doing to support Clay.

(of course, if your post wasn't addressed to me than just ignore this)

Kim

Who is Ken Barnes?
Heck, EVERYONE knows he was Victoria Principal's dodgy brother in Dallas ... :whistling-1:

Instead of reading the boards, I spent some time today watching the Tim Russert Memorial Service from Kennedy Center this afternoon. One VIP after another praising Russert for the man he was, culminating in Tim's son, Luke, giving what I thought was a compelling tribute to this father. I have to say, looking at that young man of 22 on a podium in front of all kinds of VIPs and an audience of what seems like at least one thousand more VIPs, his confidence, love and respect for his father was so evident. If Tim Russert did nothing else on this planet, raising that child to become the person he appers to be is something that should have made him very proud.
Absolutely agree. I don't believe anyone can be considered a success in life if they failed in their most important role in life.

(I just know our Clay is going to consider his child the most important focus of all. His work ethic, his values and his heart will stand him in good stead as a parent. That Aiken kid is going to make a difference in this world, if his father is anything to go by...)

Well, I wasn't trying to get "Playbiller points" by stating what I had purchased. Just saying that alot of us do these things and never say anything about it. I've made some "mixed" CDs from various sources - different people, not all Clay, and I usually d/l a Clay song each time instead of using one I've already paid for. Then I gift the mixed CDs. It's a small way to help.

I think CinPA has the right attitude. Some of us are so in tune with every little nuance that we lose sight of the big picture. I have no clue whatsoever why OMWH isn't flying off the shelves. I knew ATDW was not going to be a critical success. Covers were done by old singers who've lost their voices....and Michael Buble! I was disappointed that Clay's sophomore effort wasn't original songs. I listen to ATDW but not very often anymore. When I first heard OMWH I was thrilled - and still am. I have no idea where this CD is going to go - if any place - but it's still an effort that Clay should be very proud of. Just in reading what y'all have been writing about the music makes me realize just how much of an effort and what skill went into making this CD. It's just a damn shame that many criticis are anti-Clay Aiken, no matter what he does. I wonder what THEY want him to sing! Seriously.

I have come to the conclusion taht there are bunches of fans who's life joy is making others miserable
A big AMEN to that! They're akin to the asshats that make the horrible comments after any mention of Clay in the media. How they can write some of that stuff about another human being is beyond my comprehension. Cruel, vile comments. And I'll say it again - some of Clay's worst critics and some of his worst whiners ALWAYS have front row seats. Go figure!!!!

Couchie - what kind of birthday cake are we having???

ETA: Claytonic - aren't you sposed to say IIT????

Totally off topic - should have posted this over the weekend when we were celebrating Father's Day/Jerome Appreciation Day...

greensborojerome.jpg

:wub: :wub:

OK, I feel like I'm missing something here. Everyone seems to know this CinPA except me. Is she someone who posts here under a different screen name? Or am I reading too much into all of the posts? Sometimes I just feel a little bit paranoid that I'm the only one not getting the joke! :cry4:

Well, regardless, I really liked what she had to say, so I'll just copy and WORD it! :clap:

Claymaniac in PA wrote:

And yeah, there are some "out there" who seem to comment only to spread their poison. I swear, some of them seem to "tag team" together. They're tiresome.

I remain enraptured by one Clayton Holmes Aiken. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Awwwwwwwwwwww- that makes me all schmoopie!!!!

I know of another time they hugged but I don't think anyone got pictures of it. I believe it was at the end of the NAT and Clay took off through the audience (much to the chagrin of the security people). When the song was over he and Jerome allegedly high-fived and then hugged.

I love that big guy! (and the tall skinny one ain't bad either.....)

I thought I'd post the "edited by listening" lyrics for GOG.

:)

GRACE OF GOD

(Don Mescall & Mads Hauge)

Some folks always get the rough ride

Seem to end up on the wrong side

Constant battle just to survive

on any given day

I watched a mother on my TV

Hungry children that she can’t feed

Still I’ve got everything that I need

And that just don’t seem right

That I sleep safe tonight

There’s got to be some rhyme or reason why

We turn away and we close our eyes

Wish I could find some way that we could justify

all this suffering

There but for the grace of God go I

Everyday it makes the headlines

Someone’s struggling for their lives

Feels like I’m watching from the sidelines

where nothing ever changed

just the truth got rearranged

all this suffering

Sometimes it’s hard to believe

In a truth that you can’t even see

But faith holds the hope for the world

And I know, I know

all this suffering

So when I’m thinking it’s a bad day

Feels like nothing’s going my way

I pass a wreck out on the freeway

And I pray that they survived

Here are the lyrics in the lyrics thread - which I assume came from the songwriters' site before OMWH came out?

Interesting changes.

GRACE OF GOD

(Don Mescall & Mads Hauge)

Some folks always get the rough ride

Seem they end up on the wrong side

Constant battle just to survive on any given day

I watched a mother on my TV

Hungry children that she can’t feed

Still I’ve got everything that I need

And that just don’t seem right

That I sleep safe tonight

If I could find some way that we could justify all of this suffering

Mother Earth is down on her knees

Poison rivers run to dead seas

Cities eating up the green fields

We never question why

How truth turns into lies

Sometimes it’s hard to believe

In a truth that you can’t even see

But faith holds the hope for the world

And I know, I know

When I’m thinking it’s a bad day

Feels like nothing’s going my way

I pass a wreck out on the freeway

And I pray that they survived

In the original, it's IF I could find a way to justify.

In Clay's version, it's WISH I could find a way.

Plus the absent verse.

Playbiller I appreciate your support of Clay and wanting OMWH to be successful, but I just don't respond to strong-arm tactics or guilt trips. I have done what I can to support Clay and I honestly don't know how my buying a single from Amazon or another CD that I don't need is going to help.

Supporting OMWH on radio is a good thing and what we should be doing as Clay requested...other than that...I think the fandom has done everything they can.

The problem with the “fandom” isn’t what they haven’t done, but what they ARE doing. You don’t have to go far to see that they are giving the bulk of their support to Ashes, not OMWH. And proudly too, because they know better than Clay because he’s just an idiot. Much of it stems from their belief that RCA suck canal water. Maybe they do, but do they seriously think they know better? The arrogance is astounding. No matter what Clay says, how often he says it, THEY know better than him. Obviously, if they like Ashes best, it MUST be a radio hit, right? Forget that most of them probably don’t even actually listen to the radio any more. Hell, I love Ashes myself, but I am content to sit back and let CLAY manage HIS life and career – and wait to see if the previously mentioned plan comes to fruition. Of course, with the meddling, it may not – but few are so self aware to realize THEY might be part of the problem.

:::whew::: Okay, rant over. Where’s the beer. BTW, aikim, that wasn’t specifically directed at you. That was a general all-purpose rant. <g>

Claymaniac in PA wrote:

Thanks, Lotus. That woman is wise. <g> The name sounds vaguely familiar…..

If only I wasn’t afraid she was spitting into the wind. Ah well, I’ve spit into the wind myself on more than one occasion. Sometimes it’s just something you have to do.

Totally off topic - should have posted this over the weekend when we were celebrating Father's Day/Jerome Appreciation Day...

greensborojerome.jpg

Fuck. That made me weepy.

Fuck. That made me weepy.

BWAH! I've gone and made Heidi all schmoopie!

:bday2:

Finally figured out where all the emoticons were, so there you go Couchie.

And HeidiHo, I agree with you about the arrogance of some of the fans who think they know better. I'm not saying they are wrong or right, because we don't know if Ashes or any other song would have worked better, but I can see why they decided to go with OMWH for the single. Seems pretty reasonable to me for a variety of reasons. And I have a friend who is 27 and my son who is 23, and both of those seem to like that song the most, and they are more of what is considered nju. My friend likes him but isn't a fanatic like me, and my son is still a little biased against him, probably because he can't figure out why I became so fascinated with him.

ldyj, so sorry to hear about your knee but at least they know what's wrong and can do something about it. There is nothing worse than going to the doctor and they can't find anything and then making you feel like a hypochondriac or something. Been there, not fun.

And I adore that pic of Jerome and Clay. I love that Clay has so many people around him that love him, and isn't that what its all ultimately about.

Akim, we are agreeing and disagreeing - I have run out of friends to give the download. I didn't have that many to begin with, a lot don't do "computer". I don't go around trying to clayvert people, and I don't give away (many) copies of CDS, but I also don't burn and give away free copies of the newest album.

My complaint is much like Heidi's, where people are supportingthe wrong song and actually not only not helping, but possilby damaging the current single.

If you have a friend, or if you have not already downloaded a copy and you have an extra 99 cents, or want one of my free ones..... that is the offer - like I said, some people actually have lives, unlike my persistent waiting for Godot, I mean the phone guy. If you have time to whine on the internet, I fell a free download of one song won't take more effort.

I think you are reading my hit and run posts with too much meaning. i can't spend much time on editing, I lose my connection too often.

OK, I feel like I'm missing something here. Everyone seems to know this CinPA except me. Is she someone who posts here under a different screen name? Or am I reading too much into all of the posts? Sometimes I just feel a little bit paranoid that I'm the only one not getting the joke! :cry4:

Hee, I'll let her out herself, though. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

play, I understand your frustration, and your need to vent. I don't take it personally, even though there's not a damn thing I can do to help you from Canada. :cry4:

OK, Grace Of God. This one took a bit to grow on me, and I really do love it, and often hit repeat on it. I don't know that I'd put it in my top 5, but it isn't at the bottom, either. My favourites change daily, depending on my mood, but this is one that will generally calm me if I am stressed and make me look at the big picture, realize that my own silly little situation is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I think that Clay would probably rank this up near the top of his favourites on the Cd (just speculation, obviously, since I don't know Clay from Adam!) :cryingwlaughter:

Edited by jmh123
not so fast, chickie - LOL

Random thoughts on GOG, mostly from our listening party.

I like that the lyrics are delivered in this kind of chugging tempo, though. That keeps it from being heavy-handed, to me.

Wish I could find . . .

I think he does wish he (Clay, the character, however you choose to look at it) could find "an answer" . . .

like when Clay talks about the news talking so much about Britney and not enough about a war that mostly affects children - and we "turn away" instead of trying to solve the problems . . .

How can you explain the inequity in the world?

Fairness is something we believe in when we’re young - but as adults learn that the world just isn’t that way.

Right?

It feels more to me like he's asking . . .

why does he have life so good - when others have so much suffering. Just a late 20's grappling with reality?Trying to make sense of life?

And - I love that the lyrics say "I sleep safe tonight", instead of "I sleep safe at night". I don't know - it makes it feel more personal.