#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

OK HOME!

WHAT A LONG ASS DAY. Now as I sit here waiting on my "surprises" that they do every year on my birthday. I wanted to tell ya'll thank you for all the birthday wishes. I kept checking in during the day and cracking up. I am not a rotten tomoato Bottle!! hee. Loved all the new emoticons and will feret some away to be used again.

I was chatting with Cindilu earlier today about my last Hawaii trip and how I spent that one with an online friend (not from this fandom) ...and I realized that this medium has been a great one for me. I've met so many people that I wouldn't have ordinarily met and they have turned into true friends. And some are just pals you hang around with shooting thebreeze with and it brightens your day and keeps your brain sharp hee and adds an element to life that wouldn't otherwise be there. I can thank Clay for the last 5 years. I had a full life before him..traveling was always my thing so I was always using my vacation time up to see the world...well make that north america...heee. When Clay hit my life like an tsunami I was actually working at a travel company that puts together small group adventure trips on every continent...I had a nice ;new shiney passport and had every intention of taking advantage of some of the perks of that job. But then suddenly I needed my time to go to exotic places like Raleigh, and Salt Lake City and Charleston, and the best little city in the world, Vermont. So much for Anarctica! heee. One of these days!! (Oh KAndre..are you interested in that one :cryingwlaughter: ) But you know..I've loved every single travel adventure. IT's been quite the ride.

As for Clay and his future I'm not worried. So what it's not all uphill. Whose life is. Life always has peaks and valleys and Clay is a survivor. I'll continue to do what I can and I'll be there. I understand the disappointment cuz it is a fabulous album but I will always try to funnel my energy for him into something positive. If I want to wail and beat my head against a rock over something, I'll look at my own checking account :cryingwlaughter:

I know it's a bit early for tomorrow..but who knows how long my surprise company Bwah will be here...I wanted to be the first to wish a happy birthday to my partner in crime, Ansa....it's tomorrow! I've spent all of 6 days with her up close and personal but she's one of my closest friends. Have a good one hon! Now off to practice my surprsied face. LOL.

Hi, y'all!

Just got back from a gorgeous day at the ball park--perfect weather. The Giants sucked, but eh...whatever. Sunny, free beer and food, sitting between my hubby and my host with the credit card. All's right with the world.

Came here first, of course, so I can only imagine what's happening elsewhere in message board land. I had an interesting conversation with hubby today about Clay. He asked me how the CD was doing. I told him the numbers.

Him: Not even gold yet?

Me: Nope.

Him: Will it get to gold?

Me: We'll see. We might have to wait a while this time.

He started asking me why, in my opinion, sales were so slow this time around. He asked if maybe there just weren't that many people out there who like him. He asked about the music industry in general. He said, "I think some of it is that he doesn't give them what they want. He doesn't back down."

I didn't quite understand and then I realized he was talking about Clay's stance in interviews about not commenting on his private life, etc. Then the conversation really DID get started. :glare:

Basically, he said that he personally admires him for staying true to himself, but also figures that the 'media' isn't as gracious about Clay's not 'playing the game'---letting all his business be news, etc. Also, he agrees that Clay's style of music just isn't what is 'the thing' right now. We talkeda bout the way today it's all about the 'beat'--the dance vibe and production, etc. I suggested that had Clay become famous during the days of the vocals, the melodies, the words---James Taylor, Carole King, Jackson Browne, etc....we'd be hearing him on the radio, too.

One thing he said..."I haven't heard anything at all about this cd except from you. Nothing. I wouldn't even know he had a new one if you weren't a fan." Now granted, he doesn't watch GMA or The View or even Kimmel or Leno, but he's right. If I weren't an online fan, I'd not know about Clay Aiken or his cd...

Except for the obsession the media has with him as a headline---for things other than his music.

Hubby said (totally unprovoked by me) "He just doesn't seem to get promoted very much. Who's supposed to do that?"

And that's all I'll say about that. :whistling-1:

Are we on another song now? GOG? Oh...well.... :unsure: okay....I guess.

Okay, I know I haven't been around in a while, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't dream all this.... it's been a month since he was on Jimmy Kimmel right? Like.. 30-some-odd days? Six weeks since a brand new CD dropped? A single lingering, even slowly rising on the AC charts? (from a cd he also told us they never really bargained for radio play from no less) He's temporarily out of the spotlight taking the vacation he told us time and time and time again he was planning to take off? And a goodly portion of his fandom is holding a wake for his career? Does that seem about right? Yeah, sounds about right.

Gosh (tmKing Arthur)

*says a little prayer of thanks for her mp3 player and her library card*

ETA: I realize it's probably not kosher to post at random and then whine, but dayum. Sometimes this fandom reminds me of Audrey. Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeed meeeeee!

ETA: Claytonic - aren't you sposed to say IIT????

OK, ITT then ... but I am sure it IS because it now all makes sense to me. While Clay has some old-fashioned values, he's not a cookie-cutter kind of guy; he doesn't follow the flock of sheep that inhabits most civilizations; he's a trailblazer and/or he does what sits comfortably with him and the way I look at it is that most of everything he has done with his life to date has brought joy and inspiration to others. Rather than think about what's wrong, I prefer to think about what's right about the things he does because most of the time, he's absolutely right. (And where I may not agree with him in certain matters, I welcome that difference of opinion as a measure of balance. He may make me think, but he doesn't change my mind on issues that I hold strong.)

ETA: I realize it's probably not kosher to post at random and then whine, but dayum. Sometimes this fandom reminds me of Audrey. Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeed meeeeee!

bwah..ok this is one movie -- little shop of horros right? - that I can't watch for 15 minutes before falling asleep. I swear I tried 10 times. I heard it's good though hee.

ndLittleShop_Audrey2.JPG

Yep, pretty sure I've seen her at at least a couple of concerts.

bwah..ok this is one movie -- little shop of horros right? - that I can't watch for 15 minutes before falling asleep. I swear I tried 10 times. I heard it's good though hee.

Sure, y'all can quote Dylan lyrics all day long. *I* know all the words to Suddenly Seymour. :imgtongue:

Hey, did you guys hear that Jimmy Kimmel's show got renewed through 2010! :clap: Hee! More Clay appearances on my teevee!

Know what I'm giving myself for my birthday this year? I'm getting my astrological birth chart done...I've always wanted to do this. So, since there are no concerts this summer to find money for, I decided to do this and a spa day. I'll let y'all know if it's in the stars that I'm smutty.

I miss Spamalot.

Me, too. :cry4:

I was just thinking that this morning.

Me too. I miss it soooooooooo much!!!!

Aw, I love that JeromeClay hug picture!

Me too - again!!

OK, I feel like I'm missing something here. Everyone seems to know this CinPA except me. Is she someone who posts here under a different screen name? Or am I reading too much into all of the posts? Sometimes I just feel a little bit paranoid that I'm the only one not getting the joke! :cry4:

Hee, I'll let her out herself, though. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I'm out of the loop here too. Oh well, that's not that unusual.....

And couchie, would you please have a birthday every day so my Twin would post more????

So - I have to work tomorrow and I need to go to bed.

*sigh*

I'd rather talk Clay!

Looks like nobody really wants to talk about GOG.

:cryingwlaughter:

What?

Y'all don't like Christian Marches?

I mean, it's not exactly that. But it does lean toward CCM. I get that.

And some people have a disconnect between the content and the tempo.

Right?

But - it never seemed weird to me.

But then - I grew up with a Nannie who played "Onward Christian Soldiers" on the piano and sang along. So - I've never put "hymns" or "anthems" in a slow-tempo box.

:)

But - I gotta go to bed. And by the time I get home tomorrow, y'all will be off on something else!

Happy Birthday, again, Couchie!

Hope you looked surprised!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I think the dodgy brother of Pamela was Cliff Barnes -- but the actor's name was Ken, I think.

.... I was disappointed that Clay's sophomore effort wasn't original songs. I listen to ATDW but not very often anymore. ...

About ATDW, I can't go longer than a couple of days without Right Here Waiting ... and Lonely No more ... and then Without You is a MUST. I still marvel at this one. Nope, ATDW has stuff on there I get the itch for. Broken Wings is a real need, and I adore Everything I Do. I'll never let this go. I'm so aware that there are others that didn't get that loving feeling from ATDW, but I'm definitely on the BIG LOVE side.

It's just a damn shame that many criticis are anti-Clay Aiken, no matter what he does. I wonder what THEY want him to sing! Seriously.

Now IF I were obsessed with thinking that RCA is putting out roadblocks for Clay, and adjusted my tinfoil hat, I could come down on the side of RCA wanting to force Clay to use the RCA stable of songwriters, arrangers, engineers and career planners. Kelly Clarkson's December project power struggle with RCA indicated that the label was thumbs down, and right on cue the critics didn't like it either. RCA didn't like her writing her own material and owning the project, because the label wanted the big money they recoup from providing their contract people on their artists' projects. If they aren't getting a huge slice, they don't care to promote. Now I just made that up and the labels probably don't have these people under contract at all, because I have no way of knowing and anything can be imagined. Generally, I don't waste more than a minute here and there on speculation about the muckety-mucks, because in essence I adore OMWH. This is a GREAT CD. It is something to behold. I'm sure Clay is proud of every sound on it, and if he loves it and I love it, what more can I ask? How Clay chooses to work and his business values are not my business.

In solidarity with CinPA ... he's not going away. He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!

Wonder if Clay wrote this replacement verse himself:

Everyday it makes the headlines

Someone’s struggling for their lives

Feels like I’m watching from the sidelines

where nothing ever changed

just the truth got rearranged

That was originally:

Mother Earth is down on her knees

Poison rivers run to dead seas

Cities eating up the green fields

We never question why

How truth turns into lies

I was thinking/wondering if Clay might have contributed to the lyrics when I posted the two versions.

We know he's done that before.

But - no writing credit. Guess we will never know.

Unless he decides to write that second book!

I'm trying to head to bed.

What?

Right?

That about sums it up for me - especially the disconnect between the content and the tempo. I don't dislike it, but I don't really love it.

And I wish he had kept in the lyrics pertaining to the environment. Would have made it very timely.

I always thought this song would have been much better done acoustically.

I think the dodgy brother of Pamela was Cliff Barnes -- but the actor's name was Ken, I think.

Yup. It was Cliff Barnes, played by Ken Kercheval.

Well - as far as ATDW - I think my problem is I od'ed on it. I was commuting to work (45 minutes one way) when it came out and it's all I listened to for 2 solid months. I'll probably go back to it eventually.

I am firmly in the belief that RCA is not putting out roadblocks - and I use the same old argument. The almighty dollar! I believe they're still in the business of making money so - it makes no sense to derail a proven moneymaker. Now the next CD..............who knows.

Cindilu2 -I miss your posts. AND your emails! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Right?

But then - I grew up with a Nannie who played "Onward Christian Soldiers" on the piano and sang along. So - I've never put "hymns" or "anthems" in a slow-tempo box.

I'm still trying to put my thoughts together on GOG, but I've got to agree with ALL this. I used to play OCS all the time, so having a semi-religious song being fairly fast doesn't bother me in the least.

I like the message of the song. I think every single one of us needs that kind of reality check -- that for all our complaining about how "bad" our lives are, there are sooooo many more peole out there that have it way worse. And I think Clay sees it that way too.

I'm so aware that there are others that didn't get that loving feeling from ATDW, but I'm definitely on the BIG LOVE side.

Oh me too....I listened to it again for the first time since OMWH came out last week...and I still hit repeat on LNM. And WY. And BYLM. And BW. And EIH. And especially HYCA. That low note still tickles my girlie parts. Gah.

Generally, I don't waste more than a minute here and there on speculation about the muckety-mucks, because in essence I adore OMWH. This is a GREAT CD. It is something to behold. I'm sure Clay is proud of every sound on it, and if he loves it and I love it, what more can I ask? How Clay chooses to work and his business values are not my business.

AMEN.

In solidarity with CinPA ... he's not going away. He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!

Right on, sistahs! Bolded part is definitely thread title material.

OK, time for bed for me too.....'night all.

Just got home because my friend who got me into knitting (our admin in the dba department that I used to work in), dragged me off to her new quilting guild. *waves at Kareneh -- can you teach me via long distance / net meeting? * I'm not yet caught up but I see that you're talking about Little Shop of Horrors and Dallas, wheee! Can't wait to join in -- I already missed out on so many songs, seeing that you're already on GOG.... not that I'm particularly known for following rules... Hee!

What, no drinks tonight? :cocktail:

ETA: 'nite ldj! Hope you find relief for your knee and soon! {{{ldj}}}

My husband listened to my CD last week, and placed three songs unto his computer to play while he is working. I was surprised at his choices, because if I would of guessed three that he would of pick they would not of been these. His choices where OMWH, GOG, LAAL.

Could use some good thoughts, in the last couple of weeks I have had two mammagrams, ultrasound, and a MRI of my Lt. breast. It is hard waiting for answers. Next I expect to here I will need a biopsy. This is a area that is not felt either by me or my doctor, so it was a suprise when the results came back. I keep telling myself that 80% of lumps are benign.

This week starting on Saturday for the next 8 days I will be working alot at the Buick Open. Tiger has announced he is not coming so our crowds will be lower. I know our sport teams at the High School use the parking revenue to supplement some of the cost that occur during their seasons. Hope they still do well.

ndLittleShop_Audrey2.JPG

Yes...feeeed me! And isn't it fitting that she wanted BLOOD?

Okay, the Jerome hug picture is adorable. If you want to see it in action, from a different angle, it's near the end of

of NaCT banter. There are some very funny moments here, such as a Sleigh Ride orchestra mishap...and Clay imitating someone singing off-key in church. Just...all these clips are wonderful. :) The Jerome hug, specifically, comes at around 9:15 on the clip I linked.

((gbmifan)) I had one of those scares once...benign cyst. But it sure was a sobering experience, just waiting to hear.

gbmifan - thinking good thoughts for you. If you and your doctor can't feel anything it must be pretty minuscule!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Muski - I think your hubby is a man of wisdom. Good discussion.

Watching SYTYCD and have to say that Mary whatsherface is one of theeeee most annoying women on television. She's all dolled up to look like Sheena the Tiger Woman tonite. Blechhhhh.

It is really hard to wait for answers. When I left the MRI yesterday they said it could be as long as 5 business days for the results. In two weeks I am suppose to ride my bike on a 300 mile trip and would like answers before I go.

I am one of those who really like GOG. It is in my top 5, but then again I do not skip any song when I listen. My stereo in my new car is great and I love turning up the sound when I have my hour drive to work. Makes that trip go fast.

Yes, it is scarry out there. So much doom and gloom. Now I am reading how he needs to change the way he does interviews. I love his intelligence and humor. He does not need to change.

Better make my way to bed, got lots to do tomorrow.

gbmifan...good thoughts your way. Reading your story makes me realize that my procrastination about getting my regular mammogram (already over two years late) is something I should 1) stop and 2) try to figure out the reasons behind...Why DO I continually 'forget' to get it?

Iseeme..BWAH! My hubby and I were JUST laughing at Mary's outfit tonight AND rolling our eyes at her annoying voice when I read your post! :cryingwlaughter:

(((gbmifan))) hope everything turns out ok...all good vibes and prayers to you.

GAH...hardly anytime again to catch up...I think I am 15 pages behind...

I always liked GOG...I kinda like the disconnect between the the theme and the tempo...its a bit unusual.

CG...I like the evironmental paragraph but I understand the change cos the current paragraph is more in line with what he does with UNICEF.

I wish I can comment on these songs more but I haven;t listened to music in a bit...been engrossed with audiobooks...listening to the whole Dune series and it can be quite intense.

I hope I can catch up but tomorrow is another busy day with family day at the school..

{{{gbmifan}}} :thbighug-1: Sending good thoughts your way!

Claymaniac in PA wrote:

When an entertainer has a life-long career, there will be times when it's hot, and times when it's not. What he/she will never have is non-stop success and non-stop visibility, I don't care who he/she is. I wish folks would learn to be more confident and more able to take the times when nothing is going on, and not get all in a panic or all glum about it. A fandom shouldn't be something to torture yourself with and live in misery over--it should be fun!! I think our expectations can be unreasonable at times. As for the lack of appearances, this is exactly how he told us it would be--some promo, then a vacation, and a UNICEF trip. Hopefully there will be another round of promo down the road a bit. A tour is a good possibility. And there may be news of another sort--TV, a movie, whatever. Clay isn't a quitter or a whiner. He's a strong, vibrant, talented man. He's going to be around a long time.

*sniffle* I know I know CinPA, we met at ebird's before the Raleigh NAT. *shades eyes* Yoo-hoo! Starts scanning the list of FCA'ers for entries that don't exist on other boards and are sensible (tho' there are sooooo many of the latter around here)

So much for Anarctica! heee. One of these days!! (Oh KAndre..are you interested in that one :cryingwlaughter: ) But you know..I've loved every single travel adventure. IT's been quite the ride.
Sssssssh! Don't say anything but somehow KAndre managed to pick the only Houston-Hongkong route that passes through the Arctic Circle for us. I've never used that flight, since I usually try to swing through Japan, but I was delighted when she suggested it!

Awww, couchie. Did you stay long enough to hear "Skid Row"? And right after AI2, I always thought of some guy during The Meek Shall Inherit and Ya Never Know.

annabear, I haven't set you up at StripedSockSirens yet but will get to it asap! *pls don't let my laziness reflect on the group (SSS not eHP; eHP is proud of being lazy)*

Working sure cuts into my FCA time, darnit! Long assed catch-up post ahead. The scroll bar is your friend . . .

I'll tell you something about me. I probably should have spent more time concerned with making money than with my head stuck in speakers for 40 years -- at home, in the car, at the concert hall -- but I know I'd do it all over again. Most of the avenues of my life were places where I was led by the music. I've been saved by the music on several occasions -- married for the music -- and even divorced for the music. I was a little piano-playing nerdmaniac for the music, and a hippie chick enslaved by the genius of Jimmy Page, and the heartfulness of Jackson Browne -- and sooooo many others. It's a transcendental relationship of a pure clairvoyant nature. All of my family is quite accustomed to my Life Is Music mantra -- but I don't think they ever saw Clay Aiken coming.

What a great post, kf! Your post really illustrates the power of music!

I can kinda measure my life by music, too. Looking at the kind of music I was performing, listening to, resonating with, etc. at different points in my life illustrates a lot about what was going on in my life at the time.

Perma, thanks so much for your great definition of the bridge and music form! Excellent job. :clap:

Heeeee, it cracks me up to see ABABCB. Yup, that's the format of a lot of pop/rock songs right now, but a couple of times in the last year I was in a group that did ABABBABBCBBABB. :wacko: BWAH! It can make you crazy!

Just got back from my Doctor's office. There's all sorts of problems with my knee! There's a "body" floating around in there that is preventing my knee from straightening out; there's a tear to my meniscus; I have what they call a Baker's Cyst developing (basically a collection of fluid); and I have minor arthritis. Next step is an appointment with an orthopedist -- where they will probably "scope" my knee, and hopefully get everything fixed. Hopefully, this will all be over soon; I'm just glad to know that they at least saw something after the MRI, and I know what's wrong!

I'm glad you know what's wrong with your knee now, ldyj! I hope that the orthopedist can fix it soon.

On another note, it's gettin' ugly out there today. Clay feel off the BB 200 list. Doom and gloom, blaming RCA, blaming Clay...same old stuff. People are disappointed and upset. The usual knee jerk reactions that eventually get "refined" or "explained" later, but still cause upset and discontent until they are "explained." Ken Barns suggesting he might be better off with another label, that "doing it his way" hasn't helped Clay. I think Ken has felt RCA has not done right by Clay in the past... Anyway, just a warning that it might not be worth your time reading out there today.

Thanks for the warning!

ndLittleShop_Audrey2.JPG

Yep, pretty sure I've seen her at at least a couple of concerts.

Sure, y'all can quote Dylan lyrics all day long. *I* know all the words to Suddenly Seymour. :imgtongue:

Yes! Another 'Little Shop of Horrors' fan! That's one movie that my girls, hubby and I can all watch together and laugh at. It's hilarious! We all enjoy the music, too.

What?

Right?

GOG is the only song on OMWH that I skip, but not for the reason you posted. Hey, I'm in a band that plays a variety of things, including some really uptempo Christian music, so I certainly have no objection to Christian music at a fast tempo!

For me it's more that the MOOD of the song doesn't really fit the words. It's so cheerful, and Clay's singing about really sad stuff. Plus, I find the song a little bit mediocre. Not Clay's singing, of course, but the song itself. It's just kind of okay, especially when you compare it to all of the other amazing and sparkling tracks. IMHO, of course! If there are those who love this song, I apologize that I've insulted it.

It could also be that I work in a hospital with people who are in the situations Clay is singing about, and I really don't enjoy hearing about those situations in my off-hours. Yup, I see people in poverty, people who are literally struggling for their lives, people who have been in horrible accidents, etc. I don't really feel the need to be reminded that those things happen, or that they could happen to me, as well.

For those who are interested, it's in the key of F major. I do like the syncopation in the melody line of the chorus - makes it a bit more interesting. And Clay sings some really purdy low notes in this song, too.

I always thought this song would have been much better done acoustcally.

I agree with you, CG! It would have a lot of possibilities done acoustically. Maybe it wouldn't be quite so pretty, and just a little more raw. I think it would work better for me that way.

Could use some good thoughts, in the last couple of weeks I have had two mammagrams, ultrasound, and a MRI of my Lt. breast. It is hard waiting for answers. Next I expect to here I will need a biopsy. This is a area that is not felt either by me or my doctor, so it was a suprise when the results came back. I keep telling myself that 80% of lumps are benign.

*send prayers and positive energy to gbmifan*