#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

Cool, merrieeee! I can't wait to see the video of the eHP belly dancing on youtube!!

:cryingwlaughter:

Sorry to disappoint but with my sense of rhythm (eg. I still mess up the clapping to Deep in The Heart of Texas half the time) my part will end up like this.

OK, I need to make up for that post...

I took a short break and listened to OMWH with "fresh ears" today and my new top 3 songs are OMWH, FIEKY and GOG. My previous top 3 were Ashes, Falling and SL. I was completely into Ashes before but I think it was only because I burned out on listening to OMWH between the time the single and the album were released.

Anyone care for a 3-on-3 game? If you could only take a very teensy mp3 player with you on a v. long trip (think Mars or Space Station), and you could put 6 songs on it: 3 Clay Aiken songs and 3 non-Clay ones, which would you pick?

(KAndre is complaining, "why can't I sneak in a flash drive?" -- because it's really asking for your top 3 Clay Aiken songs and your top 3 non-Clay Aiken songs, is why)

ETA: omg, I killed the board!

ETAA: Thanks for the rescue, annabear. Yes, it is tough to pick a Top 3. Especially while KAndre is reading the Chinese visa application rules, inserting her usual colorful commentary. this is going to be a fun trip!!!

ETAA: Ansa, you called KAndre on that just in time. She was already plotting multiple ways to get around the 3, no more, no less part while you were posting.

Anyone care for a 3-on-3 game? If you could only take a very teensy mp3 player with you on a v. long trip (think Mars or Space Station), and you could put 6 songs on it: 3 Clay Aiken songs and 3 non-Clay ones, which would you pick?

Three? Only 3?! :o

I'm gonna have to go to bed with my iPod & sleep on that one. G'night! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

OK, I need to make up for that post...

I took a short break and listened to OMWH with "fresh ears" today and my new top 3 songs are OMWH, FIEKY and GOG. My previous top 3 were Ashes, Falling and SL. I was completely into Ashes before but I think it was only because I burned out on listening to OMWH between the time the single and the album were released.

(KAndre is complaining, "why can't I sneak in a flash drive?" -- because what I'm really asking for are your top 3 Clay Aiken songs and your top 3 non-Clay Aiken songs)

ETA: omg, I killed the board!

WOW thats a tough challenge. The clay songs...LAA, TRD...aaaaand....AAAAAARGH...this is torture...

top three songs?

ok...I'll get back to you on that...

we should give a prize to the first one that gives their list WITHOUT CHEATING...yup I;m looking at you KAndre....

No one has mentioned the lovely "I know, I know" part in Grace of God yet. He kills on those 4 words.

I love this part too.

Scarlett, wow. So far, MGCL from GMA, and I'm thinking I'm thinking. Ripple from Jerry Garcia or the Dead--not sure which version. That's all I got so far. And subject to change. Gosh.

3 on 3.

Very interesting problem you've posed.

I'm gonna pull a Miss Scarlett ( no not that Scarlett!) and "Worry about that tomorrow!"

I'm off to bed.

Me and my headache.

Grrr.

I hateessseess sinus trouble!

:) G'Night!

Are we starting a new song?

Or are we procrastinating because "I" is the next available alpha letter on the CD?

Or not on - but bonused onto the cd?

Besides. If we were going to go alpha - wouldn't we have done Ashes first?

*g*

See y'all tomorrow!

Good evening. G-daughter delivered safely home and the house is all mine again. I will miss her though!!!

Three Clay songs and three non-Clay songs...........OMG. I'm not going first. Because you'll laugh.

As for the Happy Birthday emoticon - if someone will direct me to the emoticon thread I will be happy to post it there. It IS pretty cute!!!

I'm like others - don't know anything about tempo, etc. just that I like it when Clay sings to me. I listened to OMWH on the way home tonite and my favorites on that CD haven't changed.....SL, TRM and a bunch are tied for 3rd. I still say Sacrificial Love could cross-over to country! It just gives me that kind of feel to it...that and the adorable Southern drawl that comes through every now and then. I am starting to like Falling a little better, tired of Ashes being shoved in my face every time I turn around, and GOG is still one I skip. I do think that OMWH was the best choice for the single though....but I couldn't tell you why! At least not in the good musical terms.

I keep getting distracted by those pokey little chest hairs in the banner..... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

No one has mentioned the lovely "I know, I know" part in Grace of God yet. He kills on those 4 words.

I love this part too.

I ::heart:: those 4 words too!

For the list, I know I want OMWH and YWT as my first 2.

As for the 3rd, I'm tempted to add any really loooong medley just for the length (Classics or 60's or 90's or 00's or CITH Jazzy or CITH IBHFCetc or IT Acoustic or NAT JT) in order to cheat on the "3, no more, no less" part but TITN seems to be more deserving. Aaaargh!

Are we starting a new song?

Or are we procrastinating because "I" is the next available alpha letter on the CD?

Or not on - but bonused onto the cd?

Besides. If we were going to go alpha - wouldn't we have done Ashes first?

*g*

We did Ashes. Where we you? :cryingwlaughter: Actually the game didn't start getting popular til a few songs in.

Could we have more time on Grace of God? Weren't we going to have two days per song?

Basically, he said that he personally admires him for staying true to himself, but also figures that the 'media' isn't as gracious about Clay's not 'playing the game'---letting all his business be news, etc. Also, he agrees that Clay's style of music just isn't what is 'the thing' right now. We talkeda bout the way today it's all about the 'beat'--the dance vibe and production, etc. I suggested that had Clay become famous during the days of the vocals, the melodies, the words---James Taylor, Carole King, Jackson Browne, etc....we'd be hearing him on the radio, too.

One thing he said..."I haven't heard anything at all about this cd except from you. Nothing. I wouldn't even know he had a new one if you weren't a fan." Now granted, he doesn't watch GMA or The View or even Kimmel or Leno, but he's right. If I weren't an online fan, I'd not know about Clay Aiken or his cd...

I would like to comment on the bolded above......

I realize that Clay's type of music is not what many listen to, but then how does one account for the high sales of Buble and Groban and their sold out concerts in arenas?? I have been to their concerts, and there are ALL age groups attending.... same as Clay.

Re the promo and lack of....... mostly lack of, but there was a huge write up in my paper about him and his CD in the first week or 2 of promo.

Wow. I just watched that 2003 Primetime Live interview with Diane Sawyer. Wow. It's fascinating to watch him, look at him then, knowing what we know now. Knowing all that's happened to him since then.

And just like it did then, when he tells Diane that the thing that hurt him most about Vernon is his 'indifference', my vision got blurry. That would've been my answer, too, if anyone had ever asked me the same question about my own birth father.

And he was soooooo skinny! But those eyes! THey sparkled then and they sparkle now....they're wiser and more world aware now, but they still sparkle. :wub:

I'm behind AGAIN, but for a very good reason (besides being at work). I was helping my son get ready for his trip and took him to the airport this morning. He is flying to Japan to FINALLY bring his wife "home" here to SoCal for good. It only took a mere 14 months from the day they got married to finally getting her visa and being able to come here as his spouse!!! I can't figure out how any ACTUAL terrorists are able to get into the country when it takes 14 months for a 4'10" Japanese masseuse to get a visa through her American husband. Anyhoo, they will be back for good on the 27th. He was SO excited this morning. YAY!!!

I can't believe I missed out on references to Little Shop of Horrors. LOVE that show. I was lucky enough to see Ellen Greene do it live at the Geffen in West LA years ago. God, she was awesome.

I have had this dream for quite some time now that has only recently been modified. I would give just about anything to hear Clay and Hannah sing "Suddenly Seymour". OMG, they could tear the roof off on that song. Clay has no problem looking nerdy when he tries (Ride Wit Me from AI anyone?) and Hannah is blonde, with a big voice, looks great in a low cut black dress, and has big boobs. It was meant to be. See what I mean?

Suddenly Seymour

Ooooh....Grace of God!! I really like this song and always smile when it comes up in rotation. This is a song that I thinks really benefits from playing it in the car with the volume turned WAY up. There is a lot going on in the song that isn't immediately apparent at regular volume.

I've been fascinated to hear people say that they hear country influences in Where I Draw the Line (I don't), but don't mention the same thing about Grace of God. I'm listening to the steel guitar in the introduction and thinking that would fit in perfectly on a zillion country songs. But they only use it in that one spot. THEN, they must have had a microphone this.close to the neck of the steel-string guitar player's fretboard, because you can hear the little "zing" noises as he slides his fingers to change chords. I LOVE hearing that. It just screams "real instruments being played here". You don't hear that in pop albums much any more. There's also a lot of other cool stuff going on with different percussion effects. The percussion people in an orchestra always seem like they are having a really good time with sand blocks and tapping on wooden blocks and stuff and I like all the different things they utilize in this song. The only thing that sticks out to me about this song is that he ends the last note so quickly. I expect it to be held out longer. Not a biggie. "I know, I know" is my favorite part too.

I actually like the fact that they didn't make this song really ponderous, and that Clay does not sing it in an overly dramatic way. To me, it sort of promotes an attitude of gratitude and the importance of putting the problems of our own lives in perspective. It seems it is trying to point out that it is possible to notice what is going on around us and maybe make reflecting on what we might be able to do a normal part of life. Clay has said from Day One when he completed his AI finalist questionnaire that he thought the influence that came with celebrity was the most important thing, and that more than anything he wanted to make a difference. I think he considers ways to do that on a very consistent basis, and he has been instrumental in raising my own awareness of opportunities to do the same.

It's VERY singable. It makes a good sing-along song. Good earworm potential.

00lsee thanks so much for the link to "Another Day In Paradise". I had never seen the video before and thought it was really very effective. It WAS very reminiscent of the video posted recently for GOG. It would be a great song for humanitarian relief of whatever cause. UNICEF, are you listening? For any who didn't see it, this is the YouTube version that does not reference any political candidates:

I can't believe how happy I am that we've been having this discussion. The other night I was talking to my 26 year old son and started telling him about this discussion. We started talking about music, favorite artists, new things we'd heard and liked. I gave my old fogey rant about what was selling today. I asked him if he was familiar with "The Lollypop Song". He started singing "Lollypop, lollypop, oh lolly, lolly..." from the immortal 60s song by the Chordettes. I love him.

He's never heard of Lil Wayne. He hates rap & hip hop. If he listens to the radio at all, he listens to KROQ, the venerable rock station. He likes Reel Big Fish, Foo Fighters and The Killers. He likes actual instruments to be used with actual singing and playing. He says it's because HE knows how to play actual instruments. Maybe there's still hope.

I am so thankful that we spent so much time as a family listenting to all kinds of music....at home...in the car...live theater....outdoor concerts. The kids were exposed to so much, and it has made such a difference. My DS has a 1 to 1.5 hour drive each way to work each day. Occasionally he listens to the radio, but for the most part he listens to his Zen. He told me that he likes to sing along to stay alert and the song that he sings to most frequently?

Our whole family saw this show here in L.A. and we were all just blown away. In fact, we saw it twice. We have two versions of the cast recordings. That song is so incredibly powerful that we would all sing our guts out with gestures and everything and trying to hold out that last looooooooong note. What a performance. Impressive enough that my 26 year old Linkin Park lovin' son is still singing along with it in the car. I love that.

Scarlett there is no way I could live with only 6 songs. I'd start swimming for the mainland rather than stay on that island.

I do have a question for anyone who has time to give me a response. Has anyone found that they talk more to their kids (or other friends or family members) about music in general than they did pre-Clay? I sure do, and I'm really greatful to Clay for helping me make that connection with them again.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to all.

Wow. This is REALLY long. Many thanks to those who kept reading.

Muski - I watch that Primetime interview every now and then. I think we saw relatively unguarded Clay in that interview. I do think that's before the wall started going up and the intrusive nature of the media and the fans got to him. That's why I will never believe he's gay. That's why my feelings of his unhappy childhood won't change much. But OMG those eyes.....definitely the window to his soul!!! I really loved that blue sweater, too. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Will NEVER understand why Buble and Groban are acceptable but Aiken isn't! One of life's mysterys.

ETA: to answer the question about talking to your kids about music post-Clay....actually, my son and I always talked music. He played rugby in college so needed a job where he had weekend days free for games. He started out doing "roady" work for the venues around San Diego on weekend nights and parlayed that in to a part ownership of a company that provided skilled labor for concerts and events in the area. His company was non-union so got quite a few gigs as a result. He introduced me to quite a few singers I would never have listened to otherwise - for example, Sarah McGlaughlin (spelling) before she became famous. He also developed some prejudices to well-known people because of their demands and rudeness (Anita Baker was one that comes to mind immediately! She was horrible to everyone around her including the 5 bodyguards who accompanied her everywhere.....????) We still talk about music. He actually likes Clay's voice but doesn't like the songs. This seems to be a recurring theme with some. However, he loves MCWL and plays it all through the holidays.

It is really hard to wait for answers. When I left the MRI yesterday they said it could be as long as 5 business days for the results. In two weeks I am suppose to ride my bike on a 300 mile trip and would like answers before I go.

I am one of those who really like GOG. It is in my top 5, but then again I do not skip any song when I listen. My stereo in my new car is great and I love turning up the sound when I have my hour drive to work. Makes that trip go fast.

Yes, it is scarry out there. So much doom and gloom. Now I am reading how he needs to change the way he does interviews. I love his intelligence and humor. He does not need to change.

Better make my way to bed, got lots to do tomorrow.

Re MRI results....... I have always been able to go the hospital etc and get a copy of the results as soon as they are completed. I don't wait for the doctor to let me know.

Love GOG. and that guy Clay Aiken

I'll play!

Clay songs or "I love Christmas Clay"!:

All is Well - hands down, my absolute favorite, I listen to that year-round!

Celebrate Me Home - my favorite singer covered one of my favorite songs, so a perfect mesh!

Don't Save It All for Christmas Day - I love the message and "the note"

Non-Clay or "I love Broadway and Broadway voices":

Being Alive from Company by Raul Esparza

Man of La Mancha by Linda Eder

Old Man River by

or Michel Bell

This is hard...if I had to pick only 6 songs... this is really hard. so many albums, ALL of which I loved...so many tours, all of which I loved..

Tears Run Dry - absolute favorite clay song of all time

- when I'm down, it lift me like nothing else -- still partial to this partial of El Cajon cuz I was two rows behind Scarlett and she took this..Perma you were there too right?

I picked my second favorite on the new album... AS LONG AS WE'RE HERE - it's just something I can listen to over and over and probably discover something new every day...being the cover lover that I am the masterpeice that is Broken Wings almost broke through as my last song as well

Reflections === Supremes

Bob Marley -

Prince - The Beautiful Ones tired weak montage but love the song...

That was damn hard. And all subject to change every minute of every day.

Can I get a whoo whoo for On My Way Here. I love this song and I'm happy it is slowly making it's way up the chart.

Okayyyyy - I'll play.

Favorite Clay songs:

1. Solitaire

2. a tie between All Is Well and O Holy Night and Mary Did You Know (so I guess you can say Christmas Clay)

3. Sacrificial Love

Favorite non-Clay songs:

1. What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong's version OR Eva Cassidy - not particular!)

2. The Twelfth of Never - Johnny Mathis

3. We're All Alone - Boz Scaggs

Ok damn..now I'm all schmoopie. I've watched the Good News Video 10 times.... I just love the way Clay sings this..it's a masterpeice as far as I'm concerned. And when he gets to that final Oh I Bring you... and then the I leave you with..the way he sings that with..sigh. so soulful. That voice? That's what it is all about.