#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

This CD should be selling like hotcakes - it's that good! But it isn't. I don't know what else Clay has to do - honestly! These songs are quite different from what he's sung before (in my untrained opinion) If he sang rock songs they'd laugh at him. If he sang only ballads they'd cry for uptempo (whatever the hell that is) If he sang country they'd want pop. ACK.

He is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't'. You are so right about the part I bolded. He just can't seem to win.

qvc_hair.gif

BenihanaInterview_ldb51.gif

ClimmelHairFlip_DangHesHot.gif

spamweb_seureu.gif

thennow2.gif

Oh Cotton - you brought back old memories. Different ones, but old nonetheless. When my mother was a teenager she sang with some "rinky dink" bands (tm FAP) around Sacramento. This was during the Big Band era and those were some pretty good songs. She was always into music and had about 100 old 78 RPM records - Ella Fitgerald, Frank Sinatra, Caruso, The Mills Brothers, Patti Page, etc. A variety of styles. I grew up listening to that music.

Churchwise, the Catholic Church had beautiful music but during that time you had to understand Latin to get in to the lyrics :cryingwlaughter: Gregorian chant just does not give me chills!!! Or make me want to harmonize!

I do remember Red River Valley and Sons of the Pioneers.

I know some people would love for Clay to do a Christian album - but I would love for him to do a country album! I honestly can see him sweeping the CMAs......... In the final analysis, I guess I just love hearing that man sing, whatever, whenever - unfortunately wherever is a challenge usually! :hangin:

Told.... I just don't know if there are easy answers to your questions. Factoring in timing and luck seems like the easy way out but sometimes it comes down to right song at the right time. For instance if a Clay song could be featured at the Olympics it would do a lot for him. But everybody and their mama wants that for their client and I'm sure 2008 IT people will get that opportunity and it might seal their careers for the next few years.

Yeah there are a whole lot of If If Uh's that could be done regarding every aspect of Clay's career from the media to clay to his label. We don't know what would have happened on the other side of that though. Let's say, instead of touring for 500 days in 2004 (lol) he would have used his it time to more firmly establish himself with radio stations maybe he could have gotten a foothold. In return maybe he wouldn't have made a shit load of money and they still would have refused to play him. I think it can I think it can I think it can. Maybe instead of doing Xmas tours every year Clay could have used that time to do other things including continuing to promote ATDW. Every decision can be second guessed but that doesn't mean things would have been better. I know a lot of people feel he should speak more firmly against the tabloids, but maybe that would have the stories even more widespread and his new job would have been responding to them every week. And what if the ATDW song he did on DOOL had truly been used as their theme song and been played everyday for year. Hell I've seen that turn songs into hits like Baby Come to Me by James Ingram and Patti Austin (Luke and Holly GH).

Maybe Clay should go for superstardom at the expense of his own happiness or things he believes in or sing songs he just don't want to. I'm not one to blame the label excusively because I think Clay is an active participant. I bet they don't even want him doing that Xmas tour every year but maybe that's the thing that will ensure his longevity because long after the next new thing comes along people will still be singing these songs once a year every year forever.

As far as promotion goes..I think they do the best they can and it's a darn site better than most. I think it's easy to look at what he doesn't get and think that would be the thing to do it for him. But they've put cooler more popular people in those slots and that's just the way it is for now. Or what his blog said... timing make it impossible to get certain things. Whether the decision to continue forward with that date was the correct one ..again no way of knowing any alternative scenario.

I'm not into blaming his fanbase...the average person knows bupkis about us. I do think there is something to why he doesn't have the kids that has to do with cool factor... a 15 year old boy just isn't going to stand up and say Clay Aiken is my favorite singer and that says more about society than it does about Clay, RCA, TC. I think they spent too much time and effort trying to capture that market after Idol and instead should have gone for an older market right away. IIU IIU.

But his career isn't a place in time..... it will go on and in a year, two years, three years we could be saying what ever happened to Michael Buble. Or what CinPA said the other day far more clearly. I think he's had a very nice career so far. I wish this album had done better but it's not over yet and I'm not ready to throw a wake for it just yet. WOuldn't it be a nice suprise is the song that continues to move up and it becomes that song on AC that they play forever for the next 10 year..where the 19th idol is going..why won't they play our guy..they are still playing that Aiken song from 2008. You just never know.

Thinking about these things aren't bothersome to me and don't interrupt how I enjoy Clay. I just have faith that things will carry on and he'll continue to entertain us even when CDs are a thing of the past and radio is totally irrelevant - and both of these things are halfway to happening already.

Enjoying the 6 songs convo.

ETA: Ooooooo - this was my 1,000th post! Next one takes me from managing Clay's person to "Executive Producer"... a title that now carries with it a whole new meaning... IIT, IIU, AATJ, etc. ;)

BWAH

As for rock songs... Clay sang the kinds of songs he wanted to sing on this album. This is it. It's him. I think there is enough there to draw on and appeal to a lot of people I also see a lot of BOTW, Solitaires, Good News' and All is Well on people's desert island clack. That's Clay to me and there's nothing wrong with that Clay. It's something wrong with the rest of the world if they don't want to hear it. :cryingwlaughter: I make no apologies for loving THAT Clay or ATDW or the ballads on OMWH the best.

I wanna be couchie when I grow up.

:dancingpickle: :dancingpickle: to annabear for becoming an EXECUTIVE PRODUCER!!!

Cotton, I love your descriptions of those musical gatherings. While my family wasn't really into that kind of gathering, I had a Mom who was a huge Tennessee Ernie Ford fan, and he sang so many of those gospel classics that they were pretty much indoctrinated into me.

It's In Every One of Us: LOVE. I think the reason I love it so much is it's simplicity...and then it builds. And builds again. And yet, it's not overpowering. The gospel flavor it has really resonates with me. I'm still learning the lyrics though (isn't that Cotton's cue? *g*). I don't think it "fits" together with the album (as a whole) as the rest of the songs do, and yet, I'm glad we had the opportunity to hear this song. Finally, I can totally imagine this being the final song of the next few Christmas tours.

For you Cotton.

IMG_1147.jpg

Mer83.jpg

comehere.jpg

I have a REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY good orange shirt Clay picture but unfortunately it's with my good buddy Clayanne who had a M&G in Toronto and I don't think she would like me posting it! :imgtongue:

Couchie - great post!!! Really, really good post. Alot of what ifs....but alot of what ifs that make sense. ITA with you on the Christmas tour comments. I wonder if we've seen the end of these for awhile. Not sure they did much for his career but I'm sure they did alot for his soul and for us (and probably his pocketbook!) I'm a Mom and I worry outloud. It could also be the Italian heritage :cryingwlaughter: My son won't let me worry about him anymore (bwaahaha!) so I guess I've transferred that tendency to Clay. Probably I shouldn't worry outloud about him though....ya think?

As for rock songs... Clay sang the kinds of songs he wanted to sing on this album. This is it. It's him

(don't we have a thumbs-up emoticon????)

Okay, everybody...put all your positive energies, prayers, whatever and send them my way. My younger daughter Carrie, instead of waiting for me to get back from an errand to pick her up to go with me to meet with her English teacher, was gone when I got home.

Lots of stuff leading up to this, but basically...I was taking her with me to discuss with him how her final trimester grade could be a C-....She just left the house. Don't know where she is and I'm going now to drive around to look for her.

I'm so very glad I'll never have to be 13 years old again.

I found out some disturbing things from her teacher, most of them having to do with her lying to her dad and me for a long time. This girl has a lot of things to learn---not school things; she knows them but chooses not to do them. No, she has a lot to learn about honesty and respect and self discipline and honor. Those are the hard ones to 'teach', aren't they?

So...I'll let you know later how my child hunt goes...

:)

I had to edit the version of the lyrics I found online.

I think the is accurate for the bonus cut version.

I really really love the harmony on this!

It's in Every One of Us

cliff richard

It's in every one of us to be wise

Find your heart

Open up both your eyes

We can all know every thing

Without ever knowing why

It's in every one of us

by and by

It's in every one of us

I just remembered

It's like I've been sleeping for years

I'm not aware as I can be

But my seeing's better

I can see

through the tears

I've been realizing that

I bought this ticket

And watching only half of the show

But there's scenery and lights

And a cast of thousands

Who all know what I know

And it's good that it's so

It's in every one of us to be wise

Find your heart

Open up both your eyes

We can all know every thing

Without ever knowing why

It's in every one of us by and byyyyyyy

It's in every one of us

by and by

Thanks for the Orange Shirt Clay pics!

:hubbahubba:

ETA:

muski!

:hangin:

Hang in there!

Yes.

Those are the hard things to teach.

And sometimes they just test you with all their might!

:thbighug-1:

Muski You got em! Been there, done that...so glad I am past that time in my life; but still have the gray hairs to remind me.

Waves to Jazzgirl! Nice seeing you!

Kim

You've got it, {{{muski}}}. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Also *waves* to Jazzgirl!

Oh Muski - my heart goes out to you. Actually and to your daughter, as well. Being 13 is one of the worst ages. You're not a little kid anymore but you're just barely a teenager. I hope you have found her quickly and that something good will come out of this.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

YAYYYYYYYYYYY for Blender Magazine. WOO HOO.

Muski :F_05BL17blowkiss: That child of yours ...I'm positive she'll come out on the other side. It might take a bit but it'll happen. She's just at that age right now. But she has so many things going for her.... she cracked me up the other day rapping along to that song oblivious to us.

qvc_hair.gif

BenihanaInterview_ldb51.gif

ClimmelHairFlip_DangHesHot.gif

spamweb_seureu.gif

thennow2.gif

anna... thanks for these... LOVE them!

Okay, everybody...put all your positive energies, prayers, whatever and send them my way. My younger daughter Carrie, instead of waiting for me to get back from an errand to pick her up to go with me to meet with her English teacher, was gone when I got home.

Lots of stuff leading up to this, but basically...I was taking her with me to discuss with him how her final trimester grade could be a C-....She just left the house. Don't know where she is and I'm going now to drive around to look for her.

I'm so very glad I'll never have to be 13 years old again.

I found out some disturbing things from her teacher, most of them having to do with her lying to her dad and me for a long time. This girl has a lot of things to learn---not school things; she knows them but chooses not to do them. No, she has a lot to learn about honesty and respect and self discipline and honor. Those are the hard ones to 'teach', aren't they?

So...I'll let you know later how my child hunt goes...

{{{{muski and Carrie}}}} muski... Some kids are sooo into not getting into trouble/dissappointing that they will lie and lie and lie until they finally get caught. They just don't get that the final curtain is sooo much worse than what would have happened if they'd told the truth in the beginning.

The only thing you can do is talk, talk, talk to try and get to why she chose this path instead of what was right. You just don't know and she may not be able to verbalize it, but if you just keep trying... It could be anything! Here's a for instance...

My oldest somehow got a staph infection in her hip joint just before her 10th b'day and was in the hospital for several days. Rebellion started at age 13. Fast forward to age 15 and we're tearing out our hair cause of her rebellious behavior and have even taken parenting classes to help us cope.

Finally, it came out. When her dad had come to the hospital to visit her for the first time after she was admitted, trying to be jovial, he teasingly remarked to her, "Well, what have you done now?" She felt he blamed her and her teen misbehavior was related to the anger and hurt she felt at being blamed by her dad for something she had no control over. Who'd a thunk it???

Good luck and all sorts of love and light coming your and her way!!!

I can only do the Clay side of the 3 songs just yet... They are all songs that I can visualize Clay and crew singing them, since I only get three. These are not my most favorite songs, just the ones I would take to the moon with me if I could only take 3 as they are very entertaining.

IWTKWLI... Orlando. As I listen, I always visualize he and the girls and his "Heartache" and "Pain" gestures. Cracks me up!

Listen... Sterling Heights. Love, love, love the low parts... especially his... LOL

Signed, Sealed and Delivered... NAT

Non-Clay songs will come later. I'm sure you're waiting with bated breath. :cryingwlaughter:

{{{Muski and Carrie}}} :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I remember being 13. I think my parents were ready to kick me to the curb. Just the beginning of those years my parents often refer to as the worst years of their lives!!

And in restrospect, I was a good kid! Never did drugs. Only cut school occassionally in 9th grade (and I had a VERY good reason!). Got good grades. I did the lying thing quite a bit, though. But I got through it ok as did my parents.

I know Carrie will too because she has two terrific parents who love her and care about her. All three of you will make it through just fine. And then one day, you too can look back at those years as the worst years of your life - but will be able to laugh about it!

PLEASE keep us posted because I will worry until you do!

I'll go against the tide and say..if I could be 13 again heee...I'd do it in a hot minute even without knowing what I know now... I think I prefer my decade of growing up though. It's amazing the difference... 5 year olds can work a computer like it's nothing... hell my 8 year old nephew can worked the darn TV/all the extra shit you need these days just to run a TV better than I can. That a change.

Almost the weekend!

(((Muski and carrie)))

I know its tough...I have had a lot of drama too in the last few months with my girls specially since we got back to the Philippines. I just keep telling myself that they are simply trying to test the limits...be more independent ....differentiate themselves from me....but its not easy. Whatever things you read or know about this age...once you are faced with your defiant teen you can;t help feeling all helpless at times. take care and keep us posted....

{{{muski}}} 13 - 16 is tough, I've raised 3, and I also remember it well from my own experiences. I am so glad my youngest is turning 17 in a month or so. :cryingwlaughter:

I had a frantic day, wasn't able to check in at all. Got the college situation sorted out for son #1, they are going to admit him. :clap: Son #2 managed to pull his 44% in math up to a 52%, thus avoiding the threat of summer school. Daughter came home with a fever of 102.5 degrees a few minutes ago. Work was hectic, I was covering for another lady who is off on holidays and nothing went as expected. Soooooooooooo glad it's the weekend! Tomorrow I'll be hanging out with some of my Clay friends for one of our local "cluncheons" - YAY! :dancingpickle:

I'll have to ponder IIEOOU. Give it a few listens. I don't hear it often enough because it's not on the copy of OMWH I've been listening to in the car this week. I'll be back. :)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that apparently Clay's episode of Scrubs was on this afternoon, no idea what station. A friend of my daughter's texted us to let us know. Hee.

I do have a question for anyone who has time to give me a response. Has anyone found that they talk more to their kids (or other friends or family members) about music in general than they did pre-Clay? I sure do, and I'm really greatful to Clay for helping me make that connection with them again.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to all.

We have always talked about music, even tho we aren't a very musical family. We somehow didn't have a radio when the kids were small. We drove around in a 69 VW bus and sang songs together a lot. A lot of them were Beatles songs, but some Donovan, CSN, Dylan and Girl Scout songs mixed in. We can do almost the whole "American Pie" song from memory! :D

I used to sing to them when they were getting ready to go to sleep. Mostly "Golden Slumbers" from the Beatles.

We still talk a lot about music, and play a lot of music. ( I have a van with a CD player now!)

For the most part, maybe slightly more, maybe because I am always dragging them to concerts or playing the CDs for them?? :cryingwlaughter:

_____

Muski - I had similar problems when my girls were that age. Once we had to retrieve them from the bad part of DC at 4 am on Jan 1. They had gone to a concert/dance party celebration instead of going out to a family party with us. Good Luck!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

_____

What is it with this board? Almost every time I change the page or hit the add post button, it logs me out! Usually, it keeps me logged in for days!!! (copying this post before I hit the add reply button!)

Forgot to mention I just copied a bunch of links into the Random YouTube Links thread from the songs discussion.