#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

claytonic, IMHO she simply didn't know how to correctly pronounce Italian. I wonder if she had ever sung in Italian before? Nonetheless, I find it amazing because she had so little time to prepare.

Wow, it is a YouTube festival!!!! I am loving watching all these wonderful clips. cha cha trusty, thanks so much for grabbing them and putting them in one spot. It means I'll be able to review them at my leisure.

LOVED the clips of Andrew Johnston!! What version of Pie Jesu is that? Gibby? I'm going to feel stupid when you tell me, aren't I?

I never thought I'd see a classic boy soprano singing on a TV reality show. Of course, I still haven't seen it on American TV. I obviously need more channels if I'm missing out on all this cool stuff. On the final competition night, Andrew at 13 was the same height as the hosts. If they were planning to record him, I hope they hustled him into a studio right after the broadcast, because he's ripe to have his voice change ANY MINUTE!!

YAY!!!! I finally was able to listen to IIEOU!!!!! I had to start all over with the actual email, and it FINALLY downloaded.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!!

It's funny.....the first demo I ever heard from Clay was "Blood Will Never Lose It's Power". I had inherited lots of gospel 78s from my grandmother. Her favorite was "Power In the Blood". Those Southern Baptists are certainly a bloodthirsty lot!! The Congregationalists I grew up with were kind of a dry bunch. I'm not sure the word "blood" appeared anywhere in the hymnal at all!! Anyhoo, I loved that demo from 17(?) year old Clay. He was trying to sing "older" with that full deep sound. I just fell in love with him singing his heart out on that song.

To me, in IIEOU, Clay is singing straight from his heart. He just sounds different (and wonderful) when he lets joy fill him and sings with his whole heart that way. I understand completely why he would love that song. It really DOESN'T fit with the rest of the CD, but I'm so glad he found a way to share it with us. I just love him.

Clay is just amazing with harmony. I too adore the "descant" at the end (where he is singing harmony ABOVE the melody line....musical term of the day).

Back in the day, I was a lyric soprano, so in general, I sang the melody. However, I can't tell you how many times I ended up singing the harmony in a duet because my partner just couldn't do it. They would start out singing harmony and then gradually they'd drift into singing the melody with me. The accompaniment almost always played the melody line, so if we switched, they could stay with the melody and I could carry the harmony with no problem. Harmony is much harder than you think.

A great example of Clay's abilities is the impromptu "Listen" duet from Sterling Heights. That was completely unrehearsed, but they did an AMAZING job on that song, and Clay sang the majority of the harmony in the song. Quiana's pretty good on singing harmony as well, but Clay is a master. He just knows where the harmony notes should be. Have I mentioned lately that he really is tremendously talented? Well, he is.

One last word on Aretha's Nessun Dorma. I imagine she was singing from the teleprompter. Remember, she got no real preparation time and no rehearsal. I don't imagine she had sung much (if at all) in Italian before, so she was trying to sound out the Italian completely on the fly. I think that she sang a few notes early, but was able to improvise to "make it work" so that most of the audience would have been completely unaware of it.

It's certainly not a version for purists, though, but I was careful to warn about that. One of my favorite comments on YouTube was someone who actually sang opera who was in awe of the performance. She said that the "crash and burn" potential of taking that on was gargantuan. The fact that she pulled it off in her own unique way was just awesome. The end of the clip shows Celine Dion sitting in the audience applauding wildly. In point of fact, Celine's singing style and range would have probably lent itself better to the song, and as a native French speaker she would probably have had no problem with the Italian. BUT, you didn't see HER up there on that stage putting it all on the line with no real preparation. Nope. You go, Aretha!!

Here's a little example (last one, I promise) of how NOT to get up on stage and sing Nessun Dorma. This is from a Pavarotti and Friends TV concert in Italy. This was the finale. You KNOW these people were given the music in advance. They were HOLDING copies of the music, for Pete's sake. And yet they mumbled, sang "Ta da da da da da da" instead of trying to sing the actual words and sort of snickered and shoved each other like boys in the schoolyard. I don't recognize them all, but Bono, Meat Loaf, The Cranberries, ????? were up there all looking foolish. The only exception was Michael Bolton (still with long hair). He had obviously prepared. He obviously took it seriously. He actually did a very creditable job and knocked the final glory note out of the park. I was impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4GhZ90BtxQ

BTW, there are some gorgeous videos of figure skating to Nessun Dorma....some with Shizuka Arakawa and some with Gordeyeva and Grinkov. Check them out.

YouTube rules!!!!

It's In Every One Of Us (IIEOOU):

This was an unexpected treat as a bonus track, for me. As others have said, it doesn't 'fit' with the album OMWH proper, but I love it for it's simplicity, it's pure tones. I especially love the Clay harmonies in the background, and that amazing thing he does with the big note towards the end, the way he starts out belting it and then reigns it in, and ends it so softly. I just love the vocal control he has.

I've never heard any other version of this song (except I've read it was sung at Live Aid, so I need to go back and find that performance, I must have seen it). But no 'muppet song' connection, for me. So it's a brand spanking new Clay Aiken song, to me. ;)

I've also read that people are expecting it on the next Christmas tour, but other than the fact that it was on some muppet Christmas album, why Christmas? Nothing Christmasy about it, to me. :huh:

I love reading how OMWH the song is still making it's way upwards. Go go go! And I wonder if we'll be able to find the music pass in Canada.......hope so!

FromClaygary, the jewelry you made was fantastic. Didn't you also make those fabulous quilts? I'm envious of your talent.

Waves to Fear, who I haven't seen in ages!! Yup, that was me. I'm still quilting, but beading travels better so I have more time.

* Please note, AUSTRIAN is not Australia - believe it or not, there are tons of people that don't know the difference.

Good God.

Muski, as I came into the story with your having found her, I neglected to give my sympathies re your scare yesterday! I sure wouldn't have wanted to be MY 13-yr old Mom! Hang in there!

Good Morning!

Won't be here for the scintillating discussion today! :cry4:

Work calls. Not crazy about working on Sat. Especially since on Sat. we have to break down all the food prep stations and CLEAN!

Yeah. Not my favorite thing. We have to wash every single measuring spoon, cup and bin in the joint. :wacko:

Hey!

Those JBT pics.

He's wearing a Jacket?

Really.

A jacket?

Sorry. Didn't get past THOSE THIGHS IN THOSE PANTS!!! :hubbahubba:

Here's a little example (last one, I promise) of how NOT to get up on stage and sing Nessun Dorma. This is from a Pavarotti and Friends TV concert in Italy. This was the finale. You KNOW these people were given the music in advance. They were HOLDING copies of the music, for Pete's sake. And yet they mumbled, sang "Ta da da da da da da" instead of trying to sing the actual words and sort of snickered and shoved each other like boys in the schoolyard. I don't recognize them all, but Bono, Meat Loaf, The Cranberries, ????? were up there all looking foolish. The only exception was Michael Bolton (still with long hair). He had obviously prepared. He obviously took it seriously. He actually did a very creditable job and knocked the final glory note out of the park. I was impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ySU8y---tM

I'm still getting Aretha with that link, Perma.

Quick "drop and run" post -- going to be out much of the day with errands, and doing a project at my church, plus a handbell concert tonight....

Anyway, the latest in the OMWH wallpaper series from Betty897X, this one for SL:

th_SL2e.jpg

Have a good day everyone!

Good very early morning. It's too damn hot to sleep. Yes. We're in the middle of a heatwave here. Usually my mountain cools down once the sun goes down but it's almost 06:00 and it's already 82 outside. Okay, okay, I'm a wuss when it comes to hot weather. That's why I moved to the mountains. Just hoping no one throws a cigarette out on the side of the road or some machinery doesn't spark a fire somewhere.

As usual I can't offer the musical evaluation the way some of you can - which I find fascinating. It's like a whole new language to me. I don't think IIEOOU fits this CD but it's a nice song. If Clay wasn't singing it I would probably never listen to it again, however. His vocals are amazing and I do love it when he harmonizes with himself. I don't see this as a Christmas song at all - but.....

I played the uTube of Listen for my friend last night who's visiting for the weekend. She's a big Beyonce fan and had decided that she wasn't going to like it. Less than one minute into it she said "HOLY CRAP they're good!" She was amazed at Quiana's voice and stunned with how beautifully Clay and Q sang together- especially when I told her they had never rehearsed it OR sung it before. Jessie still has that vid on his MySpace.....hee!

Muski - hope you and daughter have a good day.

Cotton - sorry you have to work! How come everything has to be washed?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ldyj, that wallpaper is now MINE!!!!!! Thank you.

claytonic, IMHO she simply didn't know how to correctly pronounce Italian. I wonder if she had ever sung in Italian before? Nonetheless, I find it amazing because she had so little time to prepare.

OK, I took it up with my 'purist' (but denied by her) friend and so she concedes that perhaps Aretha did a great job under the circumstances. Not only is Nessun Dorma very close to her heart but so is correct Italian pronunciation. I guess for her, it drew minor parallels with that Bulgarian Idol wannabe singing Ken Lee....

Hey guys, please check out my latest post to the YouTube thread, especially if you like piano music..... it's a jaw dropper....

I'm reading a book on WWII by Jeff Shaara (The Rising Tide) and there was a line attributed to Dwight D. Eisenhower that I thought was worth sharing:

"Newspapers are a great place for cowards and malcontents to have their say!"

Boy ain't that the truth.......

What is it with this board? Almost every time I change the page or hit the add post button, it logs me out! Usually, it keeps me logged in for days!!! (copying this post before I hit the add reply button!)

Some people have had this problem for awhile. I have a friend who can't post at all because every time she hits post she gets logged out. Are you on the same computer, same internet connection, same everything, and this just started happening? Information like that might help the board TPTB figure out what the problem is.

Yep - this is the same computer, same everything. But one thing I did a couple days ago, was I installed one of those programs that cleans up your register. When I did the trial scan it said I had 1100 errors. So I bought the damn thing. I am wondering if that has had anything to do with it. I wanted to check my cookies enabler, but I don't know where it is!!

Oh Lordy, I hope you didn't buy the registry cleaner because of an ad or pop-up. I don't trust those ads for registry cleaners at all. I'm like this guy: Why I Don't Use Registry Cleaners.

I have used RFA enough to conclude that if used correctly (and if you choose the changes manually) it does my system no harm, but whether it results in any transparent performance gains (much less gains that justify the time one must spend running, maintaining, and updating the program) is a totally separate question.

As for cookies, if you use Internet Explorer, your cookies enabler is at Tools/Internet Options/Privacy: click the "sites" button and add the address of this site, then click "allow". That should make it possible to accept cookies from FCA if it wasn't already.

Sometimes it helps to delete all cookies and start over. On the main page of the forum, down on the right hand corner, there's a link that says, "delete cookies set by this board." Make sure you've read everything new you want to read first, because once you click that, you'll lose all that info. Once you log in and start reading, new cookies will be set, and you should be able to log-in automatically again.

Should being the operative word. Smarter people than me have tried to solve this already.

I was looking at CV, which had a problem not exactly the same, but similar. Apparently after collecting lots of info from people with problems, they're advising people to use the Mozilla browser. They haven't found any answers, but it seems to be an IE/Invision problem.

I just attempted to quote most of the posts for the last 24 hours and invision kicked me out. :(

I'm going to try to recover that post but meanwhile, good morning to everyone!!! Thanks for all the glorious links and wallpapers -- I never change mine but it's great to see all the new pretty ones! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA: Oooh, Page 69. I can't waste this!! How about some appropriate pictures from those of you with the large photobucket accounts, pretty please?!! *bats eyelashes*

Quick "drop and run" post -- going to be out much of the day with errands, and doing a project at my church, plus a handbell concert tonight....

Anyway, the latest in the OMWH wallpaper series from Betty897X, this one for SL:

th_SL2e.jpg

Have a good day everyone!

LdyJ please tell Betty AKA front row ticket goddess that I love her wallpapers!!

YAY it's the weekend!

Scarlett - ask and you shall receive!

173471050-M.jpg

Will this do?

23510144-M.jpg

Honestly ladies, smut, so early in the morning???

Or maybe this?

forsusan1.jpg

Muskiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..................................

..where arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre you?

Ooooh, those are great. More, please?!!! :hubbahubba: Thanks, Iseeme!

It's never too early to smut -- besides, it's probably midnight for ausdon and claytonic!

Leon: Do you hear that?

Ninotchka: It's twelve o'clock.

Leon: It's midnight. Look at the clock. One hand has met the other hand. They kiss. Isn't that wonderful?

Ninotchka: That's the way a clock works. What's wonderful about it?

Thanks for all the pics... I really should go render some stuff. Maybe I'll find something to contribute... tty'alll in a bit...

Does anyone know when that picture with Jesse was taken? I don't remember that he sat on the piano...

Thanks for all the pics... I really should go render some stuff. Maybe I'll find something to contribute... tty'alll in a bit...

Does anyone know when that picture with Jesse was taken? I don't remember that he sat on the piano...

He's on a stool in front of the piano. You can't see the stool, but it's there.

Good morning! :F_05BL17blowkiss: Off to accomplish *something* today, but dropping off a pretty I've been playing with. :)

Original - He was quite yummy during the JBT...

ket_jbt1.jpg

"Old photo" treatment - He really is timeless...

ket_jbt1old.jpg

"Charcoal drawing" treatment - Hmm... a bit washed out, but highlights the pants nicely...

ket_jbt1charcoal.jpg

ETA: So glad you found Carrie safe & sound and are working through things, {{{muski}}}.

He looked AWESOME in that picture with Tori Spelling. LOVED that suit, loved the hair, the shirt, no jacket..... :hubbahubba:

Leaving you with one more large picture and then I'm off to town.....

duluth5.jpg

He looked AWESOME in that picture with Tori Spelling. LOVED that suit, loved the hair, the shirt, no jacket..... :hubbahubba:

Yeah, he looks fantastic, doesn't he? That particular pic has been lightened - wanna guess why? :imgtongue: