#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

Dang! I've been missing some great TRM discussion and I haven't been able to spend time listening to it today!

Human Frailty is what I hear from the "no need to hold back my frailty" line. How the heck anybody could make that gender related is beyond me!

The piano - the strong chords that just resonate, grab me from the very beginning! Puts me in mind of a great old church piano echoing through the sanctuary. Yes, the strings are there, but it's the piano that grabs me.

Then Clay's voice comes in like a prayer. And unlike the hard K on smoKe in Solitaire, he barely touches the K's in heartache, break and take. His voice echos itself - as though it's just the piano, the strings and him in large empty sanctuary.

But then the song becomes "bigger", to me. The finger snaps, the louder strings, the power in his voice and - always the piano's strong chords supporting it all.

And, yeah, be-leeeeeve is gorgeous.

I know this probably sounds trite, but the beginning feels like a Prayer - but as the song progresses, it becomes more like Praise.

You know sometimes I do hear a song about a loved one.

But I usually hear the song as a song to God. I think the instrumentation is one reason for that. It sounds, feels, like church to me. Or the church music that I grew up with.

I do think the lyrics speak to Clay's life - his new life "on parade".

And thank God he does have a strong faith. I don't know how he could survive all that he's lived through in the past five years without it.

I LOVE the way his voice soars on Frailty and "Oooooh - cuz you see the real me" at the end!

I kinda like this song.

:)

Church music was part of my youth. A big part.

Not so much in my adult life.

I miss it.

Cotton, if she hasn't already, will be along shortly to explain the lyrics for us :cryingwlaughter:

Funny!

And this time I talked all about the music and not so much the lyrics!!!

:cryingwlaughter:

Maybe I'm wrong, but these lyrics are just so straight forward, they don't seem to need interpretation.

*pets my copy of "Big" and holds it dear to my heart*

OTOH, I will NEVER watch "Cast Away." And I've never seen "Forrest Gump" and don't really plan on it either. That's one of those "every one and their mother tried to sell it to me as the best movie ever" and I hate those kinds of sales pitches.

merrieee, I've never been totally fond of the Snowflake pictures myself. He looks good...but his appearance a few nights later at the AMA's (do I have the timing right?) made me totally forget Snowflake. The hair at the AMA's look perfect that night. And that suit? Swoon.

The Real Me: like aikim, it's taken me a long while to really warm up to this one, but now, I never skip it. His vocals on it are to die for, and it really shows cases his masterful phrasing. I also agree with keepingfaith in that I find the bridge killer. Such raw emotion comes out there, and I'm a puddle of goo.

I need to think about this one some more....

Here's something... I listened many times to the song before reading the lyrics. I was surprised to find the line 'Shadows of shatttered dreams, they follow me.' I am certain that he sings 'shadows are shattered dreams...' It might be my ears, but I don't think so. And it might be the ARLG, but I like to think he changed it on purpose, because to me it brings a deeper meaning to the line.

I hear it the same way you do, cindilu. I think I saw the lyrics first, but they didn't match what I was hearing- and I do think are makes more sense in the context of the lyric.

This is one of the top 3 on the album for me. I think it's clearly an emotional and personal song for him. And I seem to remember Clay saying that it was about celebrity and how important it was to have someone who really knows you, and I also remember him saying that the writer of the song was kind enough to change some of the lyrics for him.

Then again, I've been suffering from mom-nesia for years, and am lucky to remember my own name at times, so what do I know?? :cryingwlaughter:

Oh, wait- here's something I'm SURE of!!! :DoClay:

you hate Tom Hanks? That's like hating the easter bunny or puppies heee.

No kidding. You have NO idea the crap I've had to take over that. I actually had to sit through Castaway once and eeeyeeewww. A hairy Tom Hanks in a skimpy loincloth just turned my cookies.

Cotton - loved your evaluation of TRM. The part that kind of squicked me out at the first will now be considered a prayer....... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I think in the beginning the word "fraility" is what I had a hard time with, because to me it is a feminine word...and while I could definately hear a woman singing those words, it was difficult for me to hear a man sing it...maybe If I hadn't known the song was written by a woman, it would not have bothered me so much...but I do think songs can be "male" and "female" and from the beginning this was a "female" song to me...a song that should be sung by a woman. But like I said, after listening to it everyday since May 6th, I have come to love it and I guess one of the reasons (and I know there will be a lot of eye-rolling and gagging when I say this), but once the baby news broke, I could definately hear him singing it to Jaymes...never got the God connection to the song. It just makes more sense to me now.

Kim

I want to thank everyone for their good thoughts for me. It worked! My MRI came back normal, and I do not have to have another mammagram for a year. Now I can get back to enjoying the next two weeks off from work. First week we are going the Chicago for three days, and then the second week we are riding about 300 miles in 5 days on our bikes in the thumb area of Michigan. (Think of Michigan like a mitten and that is where the thumb area is).

The Real Me: I now love it, the first time I heard it I was not sure, but now I love the way he sounds. It really almost wants to make me cry when he sings it.

Here's something... I listened many times to the song before reading the lyrics. I was surprised to find the line 'Shadows of shatttered dreams, they follow me.' I am certain that he sings 'shadows are shattered dreams...' It might be my ears, but I don't think so. And it might be the ARLG, but I like to think he changed it on purpose, because to me it brings a deeper meaning to the line.

I hear it the same way you do, cindilu. I think I saw the lyrics first, but they didn't match what I was hearing- and I do think are makes more sense in the context of the lyric.

This is one of the top 3 on the album for me. I think it's clearly an emotional and personal song for him. And I seem to remember Clay saying that it was about celebrity and how important it was to have someone who really knows you, and I also remember him saying that the writer of the song was kind enough to change some of the lyrics for him.

Then again, I've been suffering from mom-nesia for years, and am lucky to remember my own name at times, so what do I know?? :cryingwlaughter:

Oh, wait- here's something I'm SURE of!!! :DoClay:

thank you!! I know I'm not hearing things! And it's entirely possible since the verse was changed that they simply printed them incorrectly on the liner notes. I hope pray suppose we'll know for sure when he sings it to meeeee in concert!

I don't get the gender specificity in this song at all. It's about humanity.

Nothing in Clay's life could inspire gagging or eye-rolling from me, least of all someone he loves. Gosh. I hope I never make him want to vomit.

I LOVE THIS SONG! It was not my favorite at first, but the more I hear it the closer it gets to the top of my list. I've been thinking about the things Clay has said about this song. First on the WRAL video he said it was about being a celebrity and the first time he heard it he thought of Britney Spears. In another interview he said it's about having someone who loves you and knows for who you really are. I think in the Billy Bush interview he was almosy forced to say it was about God. Billy Bush kept pushing him and trying to get him to say it was about his sexuality. So Clay surprised him by saying it was about God. It pretty much left Billy Bush speechless so he had to move onto something else. I think it could actually mean a lot of things to Clay as it does to me. I can relate to it in many ways but the thing that keeps sticking in my mind is a person singing it to his lover. I won't go into detail, but when he sings "reveal me completely" my thoughts are not pure! LOL

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY gbmifan - SO happy to hear your test result came back fine!!!

Aikim - I guess it does depend on first impressions. I just can't see anything gender-specific about this song. And...I must admit your eye-rolling and gagging is kind of happening here! :whistling-1:I think I'm not ready to think about that whole scenario as true yet.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY gbmifan - SO happy to hear your test result came back fine!!!

Aikim - I guess it does depend on first impressions. I just can't see anything gender-specific about this song. And...I must admit your eye-rolling and gagging is kind of happening here! :whistling-1:I think I'm not ready to think about that whole scenario as true yet.

Yeah, I almost didn't write the part about Jaymes, because I knew the reaction I would get, but perhaps you can explain to me why it is easier to except them as friends having a baby than as a couple having a baby? It seems to be an issue for a lot in the fandom and I just don't understand it.

Kim

And it's entirely possible since the verse was changed that they simply printed them wrong on the liner notes. I hope pray suppose we'll know for sure when he sings it to meeeee in concert!

Which I am keeping my fingers crossed will be this fall :soon:

I want to thank everyone for their good thoughts for me. It worked! My MRI came back normal, and I do not have to have another mammagram for a year. Now I can get back to enjoying the next two weeks off from work.

YAY!!! Wonderful news, gbmifan!!! :thbighug-1:

*pets my copy of "Big" and holds it dear to my heart*

17.gif

I usually think of it as a song to God also, maybe because Clay mentioned that in an interview and the lyrics do sound like a prayer.

His voice is haunting and beautiful when he sings it.

I agree with both of your thoughts here, claygirl.

From the beginning, this part - - -

Painted on, life is behind the mask

Self-inflicted circus clown

I'm tired of the song and dance

Living a charade, always on parade

Has always made me wonder if he relates to that since he so often uses humor to deflect. Anyway, I love this song and I agree with whoever - was it couchie? - said about frailty and vulnerability and Clay never clinging to stereotypes. I don't get any gender-specific vibe. I just think of human frailty. *shrugs*

Loooooong, slooooow day at work. Then it got a little weird/interesting towards the end. Not certain, but there's a chance I might be winging my way to your neck of the woods Bay Area FCA'ers around July 20-25... :fca:

I think what gets me about The Real Me is this: that single "C" note on the piano that gets repeated so much during the verses and at the very end of the piece. That note is so haunting to me, and I just like the simplicity of that single note.

Still love his vocals too. Gosh, he sings well.

YAY gbmifan!

I LOVE THIS SONG! It was not my favorite at first, but the more I hear it the closer it gets to the top of my list. I've been thinking about the things Clay has said about this song. First on the WRAL video he said it was about being a celebrity and the first time he heard it he thought of Britney Spears. In another interview he said it's about having someone who loves you and knows for who you really are. I think in the Billy Bush interview he was almosy forced to say it was about God. Billy Bush kept pushing him and trying tio get him to say it was about his sexuality. So Clay surprised him by saying it was about God. It pretty much left Billy Bush speechless so he had to move onto something else. I think it could actually mean a lot of things to Clay as it does to me. I can relate to it in many ways but the thing that keeps sticking in my mind is a person singing it to his lover. I won't go into detail, but when he sings "reveal me completely" my mind is not pure! LOL

Well....I guess I forgot all about the WRAL interview...thanks for specifying which interview. In a way I never thought of Billy Bush's interpretation...but I have to say it could fit if you want it to fit.

I actually have a hard time seeing a lover fit into this song...I do believe its tough to find someone that way, but if you can find it in a lover...you certainly are lucky....

but once the baby news broke, I could definately hear him singing it to Jaymes...never got the God connection to the song. It just makes more sense to me now.

Cautiously coming out of lurkdom.

Kim, from the first time I heard TRM, I felt he was singing this to a special person in his life, and after the baby news, I too think of Jaymes.

I never thought of the word frailty as being feminine. I think a man's feelings and especially his ego are even more frail than a woman's. They just cover it up better than we do.

I do love this song.

First of all . . .

I want to thank everyone for their good thoughts for me. It worked! My MRI came back normal, and I do not have to have another mammagram for a year.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Then - I went to the lyrics thread and decided to leave the quote in - but I tried to change the lyrics to the Clay version. Let me know if I missed anything.

I hear Shadows "of", not "are". ???

"The Real Me"

Natalie Grant

"The Real Me" was written by Natalie Grant, who comes from the Christian world but is popular at AC. Her songs tend to explore life's challenges and offer a positive spin.

We first looked at that song as one of four originals on the last album. The thing I love so much about "The Real Me" is that when I listened to it, I thought, "It's about God." Jaymes heard a romantic song. Other people think it's about their mom. Everyone is able to take their own message. Natalie was kind enough to change a little bit of the lyric so that it fits my life even better.

Foolish heart looks like we're here again

Same old game of plastic smile

Don't let anybody in

Hiding my heartache, will this glass house break

How much will they take before I'm empty

Do I let it show, does anybody know?

[Chorus:]

But you see the real me

Hiding in my skin, broken from within

Reveal me completely

I'm loosening my grasp

There's no need to hold back my frailty

Cause you see the real me

Painted on, life is behind a mask

Self-inflicted circus clown

I'm tired of the song and dance

Living a charade, always on parade

What a mess I've made of my existence

But you love me even now

And still I see somehow

That you see the real me

Reveal me completely

I'm loosening my grasp

No need to hold back my frailty

O-o-oh, Cause you see the real me

Shadows of shattered dreams

They followed me

They’ve haunted me

But you‘ve taken the broken pieces of my life

and helped me to believe

reveal me completely

I'm loosening my grasp

There's no need to hold back my frailty

O-o-o-oh,

I was reading in another place that several people stated that the reason he has lost 3/4 of his fan base is because he has not progressed as a artist. What the hell do they want. I love this CD, maybe I am easy, but his voice is the best I have ever heard him. I like uptempo sounds but I do not need rocker Clay. I just need him to sing great songs and well, which he does.

Another reason they stated is that he changed since A1 and has become rude and a big diva. My thought is that he is five years older, and some change will occur. He stills has the same values he had then, and I am sorry but I do not see the Diva. His behavior as far as I see is always appropriate to the event. If he gets testy once in awhile maybe there is a reason.

If people want to leave that is their option, but to continue to spout over and over how he has disappointed them gets very tiring. End of my Rant.

OMG that is so ridiculous! Would Clay have been able to do Spamalot 5 years ago? He has grown enormously, and not just as an artist; blind Freddie can see that.

As for being rude and a diva, my goodness, he’s been exemplary in the control he has exercised in the face of numerous situations where he was subject to some of the most appalling gossip and innuendo. There is only so much a human being can be expected to endure when his character is being chipped away by low-lifers who obviously thrive on bringing down others to further their own agenda. From all accounts, Clay is enormously liked and respected by his peers. That speaks volumes in terms of refuting any accusations of diva behavior.

Yeah, I almost didn't write the part about Jaymes, because I knew the reaction I would get, but perhaps you can explain to me why it is easier to except them as friends having a baby than as a couple having a baby? It seems to be an issue for a lot in the fandom and I just don't understand it. Kim
Kim, I agree with you. Frankly, I’ve long learned that it is not up to me to decide or make judgment on who should and shouldn’t be in a relationship when the individuals concerned are two adults who are secure enough to make choices for themselves.. It’s just not worth my thinking time to be dwelling on it when my waking hours can be spent on thoughts about solving my own issues or even enjoying the next YouTube find….. (Seriously I understand it is human behavior to have an opinion on the coupling of people “in our lives”, but it is just not worth more than a fleeting thought. At best, it’s a waste of time and disrespectful of someone else’s right to run their own lives.

Canadian Idol: Is this screened in the USA at the same time as Canada? A friend has sent me a link to download the top 24.

For me, I can see it, not so much for or to a lover, but definitely to that someone special in your life. I know that I would love to find that person for me, instead of being seen as mom or whatever. I'm one of those people who could have WIDTL as a theme song, so it would be really nice to one day feel like there could be someone that I could open up to and who could actually see TRM. Boy, I think this cd is my life. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.