#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

Columbus JBT "God forbid the Clack skip around"? Oh yeah!

Hee, I think you mean Clio. And yeah, that ranks right up at the top for me, too! Or how about "playing with the wood" from the JNaT 06? And Chautauqua DCAT/SRHP tour, when the easel fell down? That was hilarious!

I know he talked about the Clack in Columbus! That must have been where he said, "Yeah, I know your words." Whatevah! I think I've laughed at every concert - he's just so damn witty and CUTE! :D

And speaking of "playing with the wood" :cryingwlaughter: there's that clip from the David Foster gala where he ends up putting his head down because he was laughing so hard!

I don't know how Winky keeps finding this stuff - but here is another play, let's hope it is better than the last one.

Craigs list casting call

"AMERICAN IDOL:CLAY'S REVENGE" Auditions!!! (Catasauqua)

This is actually very local to WD.

Was this where Idol the Musical came from - I hope, hope hope it is not the same person.....

Nope--different source. Probably just as bad or worse though. I guess we'll find out in the fall.

You have no idea how bad it would have to be unless you read my sitting directly in front of the stripper pole and studying shoes to keep frm having my eyes poked out and the feet flying over my head review.

I don't know how Winky keeps finding this stuff - but here is another play, let's hope it is better than the last one.

Craigs list casting call

"AMERICAN IDOL:CLAY'S REVENGE" Auditions!!! (Catasauqua)

This is actually very local to WD.

Was this where Idol the Musical came from - I hope, hope hope it is not the same person.....

Nope--different source. Probably just as bad or worse though. I guess we'll find out in the fall.

You have no idea how bad it would have to be unless you read my sitting directly in front of the stripper pole and studying shoes to keep frm having my eyes poked out and the feet flying over my head review.

I did read your review---but you saw the website of the company for 'Clay's Revenge', didn't you?

I know he talked about the Clack in Columbus! That must have been where he said, "Yeah, I know your words." Whatevah! I think I've laughed at every concert - he's just so damn witty and CUTE! :D

Hee, nope, Clio again. But now you've got me curious about Columbus! I'll have to watch it tonight.

mayo on french fries? EEK LOL

Mayo on Fries??!!!

:kotz0:

Was it Ang that thought she needed a passport for New Mexico.

It was Quiana and he ragged on her without mercy!!

Funniest moment - well one that always puts the CAIG on my face is the "go in the back and probably have a cold shower" followed by "go in the back and readabook"!!!

He's a funny man!

Took this from AOL just a few minutes ago. These are all in the Most Played and Most Viewed categories (for both: Time Period: TODAY):

AOL TOP 25 SONGS:

1. On My Way Here - Clay Aiken

2. With You Chris Brown

3. Ashes - Clay Aiken

4. Picture to Burn - Taylor Swift

5. What Hurts the Most - Rascal Flatts

6. No One - Alicia Keys

7. Realize - Colbie Caillat

8. What I've Done - Linkin Park

9. Break the Ice - Britney Spears

10. Falling - Clay Aiken

11. Teardrops on My Guitar - Taylor Swift

12. My Wish - Rascal Flatts

13. Grace of God - Clay Aiken

14. When You're Gone - Avril Lavigne

15. Kiss Kiss - Chris Brown

16. Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion

17. Irreplaceable - Beyoncé

18. As Long as We're Here - Clay Aiken

19. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz

20. All Around Me - Flyleaf

21. Because of You - Kelly Clarkson

22. Everything I Don't Need - Clay Aiken

23. Take You Down - Chris Brown

24. One Step at a Time - Jordin Sparks

25. Last Name - Carrie Underwood

AOL TOP 11 VIDEOS:

1. On My Way Here (AOL Sessions) - Clay Aiken

2. Ashes (AOL Sessions) - Clay Aiken

3. Where I Draw the Line (AOL Sessions) - Clay Aiken

4. I Kissed A Girl - Katy Perry

5. Take A Bow - Rihanna

6. Damaged - Danity Kane

7. Lollipop - Lil Wayne

8. Leavin - Jesse McCartney

9. Bust It Baby Pt. 2 feat. Ne-Yo - Plies

10. No Air feat. Chris Brown - Jordin Sparks

11. Everything I Don't Need (AOL Sessions) - Clay Aiken

Well, last week when all things Clay fell off the AOL charts I heard it said that "RCA quit paying" -- so does this mean they're pouring money into it now?

Or that we're just DAMN GOOD!!!!!

I think much of message board culture can be boiled down to one word: tone. I've read "criticisms" of Clay by some people that did not bother me one whit -- because to me their tone was of a fairly neutral nature. But I've seen other "criticisms" (in more than a few instances, the same "criticism") that had a tone of harshness, or bitterness, or even disdain. Those posts will find me then taking a tone of my own -- frequently of harshness back. I've learned to dial that back, and ignore the ones with that particular tone. To me, so much of communication like this should be as "unemotional" as possible. With Clay, that can be difficult for some people, because he seems to inspire so many feelings (either good or bad).

Great post, ldyjocelyn. I agree that tone is a huge part of how a post tends to be received. Personally, I try NOT to post when I'm angry, because that's when I'm most likely to use a tone I might later regret.

I think that there are some fans who, when it really comes down to it, just don't share Clay's taste in music. Some have finally realized it, and have left. Some, however, are so addicted to the fandom's message board culture that they continue to stay on, clinging to the belief that Clay will one day be the pop/rock Top 40 superstar they imagine him to be. I suspect there is a certain amount of fear in the fandom now, not only that his career will fade, but that the fan culture (message boards, concert trips, clack vigils, etc.) may end. For many, this fandom is more than just an amusement. It's a way of life, a primary and critical source of external validation, intellectual stimulation, and emotional support. For some, the thought of losing it may be so frightening they've started to panic. It's easier to deal with lows if you have other things in your life. If this fandom is your life, however...

Mayo on fries? Yumm! Of course, it helps to have really good flavored mayonaise. Fries are also really good with ranch dressing.

Clay's quick wit and sense of humor are one of my very favorite things about him. I do love a concert where I laugh like crazy.

No one seems to be sticking to one favorite funny moment so y'all can't make me do it either.

1. I already used this example for favorite moments on stage, but I'm going to use it again. When Clay and Ruben were doing the "Girl Is Mine" banter in Sacramento at the AI tour stop, the stage was pelted with all manner of stuff including stuffed animals and panties. A bustier with dangling garters just looks funny when Clay is looking at it!! He noted that this was not a family friendly item!! Ruben then pointed out that the audience was throwing shoes at them. Clay walked right over and held up a rubber flip flop saying: "Now THIS is an example of a family-friendly thong!!!!" OMG, the whole audience just cracked up!!! He is SO QUICK!! I think he captured my heart forever that night. I know couchie was there. Anyone else?

2. His June 2004 appearance on Kimmel. Basically the whole thing. He was just hilarious!! I loved him describing how he couldn't keep track of anything any more and how he'd left his keys in Ireland. A whole team of people tried to retrieve them and get them to him, but he said they were probably on their way to Dubai. How many people have even heard of Dubai, for Heaven's sake??? I also liked the descriptions of the food....animals we don't have here who were still walking around on the plate, and the old man hitting him with his cane. Just a great, great night.

3. The first 2006 NaCT show in Waukegan. I think we thought he'd be so low key on that tour "guesting" with orchestras. Then he started telling stories about the number of people in airports that wanted a picture with him with his hand over their mouths. It was so funny!! Especially when someone up front looked really puzzled. Clay asked them if they didn't understand what he was referring to, and they said no, they didn't. He just looked at them and then asked them if they'd been living in a hole for the past 2 weeks. He just totally destroyed any angst over the whole miserable year of 2006 that night.

4. The entire Ft. Myers DCAT show. cotton, did you watch the Scruffy banter clips from that show yet? I'm dying to hear your opinion. He was just so funny ALL NIGHT. You can't beat him taking Scarlett's camera and videoing everyone, including Scarlett. And, my big favorite...when the clueless lighting guy wouldn't leave the spotlight on Quiana for her solo. He did everything buy hire a skywriter to get this moron to spotlight her instead of him to no avail. When he took her seat and pulled her on his lap and then distracted her with his wandering hand I thought the whole audience would lose it. Loved, loved, loved that show. :cryingwlaughter:

I can't access YouTube at work, so I can't provide helpful links, darn it.

Back to work for me!

4. The entire Ft. Myers DCAT show. cotton, did you watch the Scruffy banter clips from that show yet? I'm dying to hear your opinion. He was just so funny ALL NIGHT. You can't beat him taking Scarlett's camera and videoing everyone, including Scarlett. And, my big favorite...when the clueless lighting guy wouldn't leave the spotlight on Quiana for her solo. He did everything buy hire a skywriter to get this moron to spotlight her instead of him to no avail. When he took her seat and pulled her on his lap and then distracted her with his wandering hand I thought the whole audience would lose it. Loved, loved, loved that show. :cryingwlaughter:

I can't access YouTube at work, so I can't provide helpful links, darn it.

Back to work for me!

Damn I've never seen this either. I know what I'm doing tonight!

Hee, nope, Clio again. But now you've got me curious about Columbus! I'll have to watch it tonight.

OK, this is scaring me! :o Did I attend Clio telepathically or something? :huh::P

Oh YESSSS! :cryingwlaughter:

Forgot to mention earlier - love your doggies, Perma!

Woo Hoo! Alex got her driver's license! :clap: Of course, she had to 'drop me off' and then drive to the bank (3 blocks away :cryingwlaughter: )...now she's back and online, emailing all her friends (She called two before we left the DMV, naturally)...

And so it begins... :scream:

keepingfaith...both Mr. Muski and I are HUGE "Steamroller" fans...we saw a James Taylor concert a few years ago and were surprised at how entertaining he was. We were expecting 'just' great music, but he was funny and personable and interactive...and he sounded so freaking good---see, to me, that's like Clay. I can imagine him decades from now---still entertaining and still sounding so freaking good.

I'm guffawing just being reminded of all the funny Clay moments y'all are thinking of! I loved also the time on the Tyra show when he was 'interviewing' her and she talked about the guy in school that she had a crush on but who didn't give her the time of day then. She asked, "Where are you now, ________?" And Clay turned to the camera and said, "He's at home NOT sitting next to a supermodel, so neh!" (or something like that...it's bottlecap's avie, which I love!)

And yep....I loved the David Foster Gala when the contestant said something about 'playing with wood'....his expression was priceless!

And yep...I was at that NAT Charlotte concert and I was losing it when he was losing it after the band didn't 'follow his directions'....

He's just so much FUN!

And yes, kf....he does like to 'pull our leg' and yes, that was handing me a 'straight' line. However, it is CLAY himself who gives us a straight 'leg' more times than not. :hubbahubba: Unfortunately, though....alas! We have not yet had the opportunity to pull it. :cry4:

I have today off work, so that means I get to clean house.

yeay.

ETA: Oh. And all these pet pics? Making me rethink that getting a cat thing, demmit....they're soooooo CUTE!

Perma, I totally agree about the Fort Myers banter. Now, about the WTLGD and Quiana sitting on Clay's lap .... this HAS to be seen from Scruffy's Best Of Fort Myers.

http://www.clackunlimited.com/clack/Montag..._of_SRHPT_2007/

It's the second one of three at Fort Myers entitled:

21b_BestOf_SRHPT_2007_Banter_FtMyers_scruffy13_large.wmv

and people DO NOT MISS IT. It begins with the TV Jingles contest (and includes Clay as "He-Man") but the WTLGD is shot from two different cameras and edited together. When you see his hand on Quiana, you next see his reaction behind her. It's one of my top five pieces of Clack of all time.

21a contains all the great clack of Scarlett's camera in Clay's hands (which is available in shorter clips and on YouTube), but immediately preceding it at about 3:10 Clay leans back on his stool and engages in some serious exposure.

Both of these are in my folder of The Essentials.

So many funnies...

Kimmel - tatoo

The whole thing was pretty funny, but the way he laughs at the end after he broke Jimmy up saying he'd shaved his leg for him, just gets me every time.

Another one is the whole popping mic in Greensboro JNT 06 when he actually blushed and then broke up in the second song when it did it again and actually stopped singing for a verse whilst he ran his fingers thru his hair.

And, from Charlotte the night before, the whole "get 'er done" bit.

And, we must'nt forget Long Island when he was so dizzy, but still was very funny... "Clay Aiken, bringing families together." :cryingwlaughter:

I was reading in another place that several people stated that the reason he has lost 3/4 of his fan base is because he has not progressed as a artist

heh - this always reads to me as "he has not sung the kind of songs he needs to sing so that he can become the rock star I want him to be and that my kids will like so that I will therefore become cool by association".

djs... WORD!!!

Took this from AOL just a few minutes ago. These are all in the Most Played and Most Viewed categories (for both: Time Period: TODAY):

AOL TOP 25 SONGS:

1. On My Way Here - Clay Aiken

2. With You Chris Brown

3. Ashes - Clay Aiken

4. Picture to Burn - Taylor Swift

5. What Hurts the Most - Rascal Flatts

6. No One - Alicia Keys

7. Realize - Colbie Caillat

8. What I've Done - Linkin Park

9. Break the Ice - Britney Spears

10. Falling - Clay Aiken

11. Teardrops on My Guitar - Taylor Swift

12. My Wish - Rascal Flatts

13. Grace of God - Clay Aiken

14. When You're Gone - Avril Lavigne

15. Kiss Kiss - Chris Brown

16. Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion

17. Irreplaceable - Beyoncé

18. As Long as We're Here - Clay Aiken

19. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz

20. All Around Me - Flyleaf

21. Because of You - Kelly Clarkson

22. Everything I Don't Need - Clay Aiken

23. Take You Down - Chris Brown

24. One Step at a Time - Jordin Sparks

25. Last Name - Carrie Underwood

AOL TOP 11 VIDEOS:

1. On My Way Here (AOL Sessions) - Clay Aiken

2. Ashes (AOL Sessions) - Clay Aiken

3. Where I Draw the Line (AOL Sessions) - Clay Aiken

4. I Kissed A Girl - Katy Perry

5. Take A Bow - Rihanna

6. Damaged - Danity Kane

7. Lollipop - Lil Wayne

8. Leavin - Jesse McCartney

9. Bust It Baby Pt. 2 feat. Ne-Yo - Plies

10. No Air feat. Chris Brown - Jordin Sparks

11. Everything I Don't Need (AOL Sessions) - Clay Aiken

Well, last week when all things Clay fell off the AOL charts I heard it said that "RCA quit paying" -- so does this mean they're pouring money into it now?

Or that we're just DAMN GOOD!!!!!

keeping... :clap: AWESOME!!! Whooo hoooo!!!!

I've always fancy myself wanting Rock star Clay. So if that is the style of singing your looking for

Clay to sing, I agree that he has not progressed much. He has opted for AC style of songs for whatever reason and therefore has lost many a rock star audience fan. One does see potential in Ashes, EIDN and Falling but it needs more beat, music and rock for top 40. JMO

*waves*

That's possibly true...if someone is looking for him to be in the top 40, then he hasn't moved very far toward that in that regard. But then -- according to the not-a-blog (I read another board that called it the Brigadoon blog, loved that name), he's not all that interested in being a top 40 person. In his opinion, his niche is AC and Hot AC, and he actually seems to LIKE that. And so...I'll just accept him as he is, and I think the AC and Hot AC crowds will follow eventually.

I agree, and have to take issue with the word “progress”. If someone is NOT going in that direction and never had any intention of going in that direction, then he will NEVER “progress”. And, frankly, this is not Clay’s fault or problem – anyone who watched AI and then expected him to go the rock star direction bears the brunt of the responsibility for their disappointment, IMO. And really, the continued pretence that the Brigadoon Blog (hee - love it) never happened is more than a tad ridiculous.

I never pick “funniest moments” or “favorite songs” because I find him continually funny and can’t pick favorites of anything. Just can’t. So I stay out of the conversation. I also don’t much care about WHY I like a song or the musicality of a song – I just know what I like. So, I don’t usually contribute to those conversations either, although I enjoy reading them. I will say I LOVED Clay and Rick Holmes extended ad lib of the Bring Out Your Dead scene on the second to last weekend of Spam. Fucking Hilarious. Was that Saturday or Sunday night? Tom laying on the cart saying “What’s going on???” in that voice of his – hilarious. If he hadn’t gotten the scene back on track who knows what would have happened? <g>

Oh NO!!!

Cate found an ad for the play!

Oh brother. And surely they will get sued by AI for using their logo. Looks too much like the same font and everything.

Perma, I totally agree about the Fort Myers banter. Now, about the WTLGD and Quiana sitting on Clay's lap .... this HAS to be seen from Scruffy's Best Of Fort Myers.

http://www.clackunlimited.com/clack/Montag..._of_SRHPT_2007/

It's the second one of three at Fort Myers entitled:

21b_BestOf_SRHPT_2007_Banter_FtMyers_scruffy13_large.wmv

and people DO NOT MISS IT. It begins with the TV Jingles contest (and includes Clay as "He-Man") but the WTLGD is shot from two different cameras and edited together. When you see his hand on Quiana, you next see his reaction behind her. It's one of my top five pieces of Clack of all time.

21a contains all the great clack of Scarlett's camera in Clay's hands (which is available in shorter clips and on YouTube), but immediately preceding it at about 3:10 Clay leans back on his stool and engages in some serious exposure.

Both of these are in my folder of The Essentials.

I have watched both of these vids several times..very funny stuff :cryingwlaughter: I think he gets more comical the more comfortable he gets with a tour. I find myself laughing at him alot more than I did in the beginning.

In Tampa SRHP the story of Angela throwing down her phone in her hurry to find Clay's medication.

In fact the whole of the part 3 of Best of Tampa Banter is a hoot.

It includes "It's not necessarily a jump up and down take your Spanks off kind of show", asking the French horn player to be "proud of your instrument" and then looking so puzzled (riiight) at the audience's outburst of laughter and finally his introduction to LAL "You want to feel really bad? Listen to the words of this next song".

I will say I LOVED Clay and Rick Holmes extended ad lib of the Bring Out Your Dead scene on the second to last weekend of Spam. Fucking Hilarious. Was that Saturday or Sunday night? Tom laying on the cart saying “What’s going on???” in that voice of his – hilarious. If he hadn’t gotten the scene back on track who knows what would have happened? <g>

For those of us who were not there, I implore you to remember everything you can and write a long and detailed description of this. Please!!!

Oh NO!!!

Cate found an ad for the play!

Oh, surely this is a joke - here is an ad for the current production!

It does look like somewhat of a joke! :cryingwlaughter: For one thing, that caricature of Clay was used in the Hawaii newspaper (I think) when he was having the gala there.

As for a funny time with Clay? I can't pick one, just like songs!!

But I had a funny dream this morning. It could be the influence of having seen Get Smart this weekend, and reading a bunch of Stephanie Plum novels..... but in my head a voice was saying, (as if on a two-way radio) "Left nut is secure, stand-by for right nut..." and I am pretty sure that was Clay-related!! :cryingwlaughter:

More later - T-storm coming!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I will say I LOVED Clay and Rick Holmes extended ad lib of the Bring Out Your Dead scene on the second to last weekend of Spam. Fucking Hilarious. Was that Saturday or Sunday night? Tom laying on the cart saying “What’s going on???” in that voice of his – hilarious. If he hadn’t gotten the scene back on track who knows what would have happened? <g>

For those of us who were not there, I implore you to remember everything you can and write a long and detailed description of this. Please!!!

Definitely! I mean, I know I could probably look up what happened in the Spamalot recap thread...but why? I'd love to hear it from you Heidi!

Welcome Sidi!

As for that play -- Waiting for Guffman, anyone?

Actually, a lot of people here were at that concert. I think I went to get the signed posters for other people and did standing room, I think.

I couldn't figure out how they got so distracted - it was all because Clay did a little extra in his not all dressing up and dancing kick.

Oh goody - lots of clips to rewatch or download this week! Thanks to everyone who's provided some. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

:welcome:Sidi

Does anyone remember this:

IT Tour - Jerome dueting with Clay "Without You"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwND8ZQoVz0

JNAT06 - "Banter with Bridget"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmQjyclUCXY

SRAAHP 2007 Tour - Bug hits Clay-Flies down Angela's blouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVTFH6WaJ6I

I remember all of these! The Jerome duet and Angela and the moth I saw live!

Hysterical!

As a matter of fact, the St. Paul closing night practical joke attempts remain one of my most fun live theater moments ever!

Having done theater, I am quite familiar with closing night shenanigans.

But Clay was so funny with the whole "Can't pull on over on me" schtick!

I did get the Ft Myers stuff downloaded but haven't had time to watch.

But I remember the Clack of him pulling Quiana onto his lap trying to get the lighting guy to cooperate!

I think some Clay fans must have gotten to the poor lighting guy and threatened him if he didn't keep the spot on Clay!!! :cryingwlaughter:

If I could figure out a way to manage it - I would be at every single opening and closing nights of every single Clay tour for the rest of my life!

Too many funny moments to even begin to choose- I'll have to spend some time thinking about it. I am very glad that I "get" his sense of humor- he has always cracked me up!

As for the other pressing topic of the day- am I the only person who eats tartar sauce on fries? Yummy!