#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

where's the darn picture? Is it top secret?

From 00lsee, posted at CH, a comparison of the first (left) and the latest (right):

jaymes_070108-2.jpg

Iseeme...I honestly haven't followed another person's life as closely as Clay's and yet I can;t say I know him. I just know his public persona and my gut tells me that's pretty close to the private man.

One thing I have seen demonstrated time and time again...Clay is a smart man...Clay is his own person. So with those two traits I can say I trust that he knows what is best for him and that he is no pushover.

oh I love couchie's and ldyJ's answer too...so WORD.

Interesting responses to my question about "trust!" I guess it's simple when you have to articulate why you trust him. But to me - you can't trust someone unless you know something about them. The analogy about the pilot and flying is a good one - if you're trusting someone's knowledge and expertise at doing something like flying an airplane, doing brain surgery, cutting your hair, etc. But that's kind of different than trusting someone's integrity or honesty. That's sort of intangible and is developed by awareness of them as a person. But y'all say you trust him and then some say we don't know him....baffling!!!

When Clay speaks - I believe him. I trust him to make decisions about his career that could either be good or bad but were made with the best knowledge he had at the time. I don't know him personally to trust that every decision he makes about his life is good or bad.....other than to say again that given his intelligence and faith, he makes them with the best knowledge he has at the time!

Anyhoo, I will be pretty much offline for the next couple of days due to my new job (yippppeeeee skipppeeeeee) and son and his brood visiting. My computer is in a bedroom that will be occupied by one extremely spoiled 5 year old (not my g-daughter......) All she eats for dinner....ALL she has eaten for dinner in the two years I've known her...is macaroni and cheese. And God forbid you should put something else on her plate because you wouldn't believe the decibel level of tantrum a 45 lb. child can throw!!!! The funny thing is my g-daughter has ceased being picky about food because she gets points for tasting everything while the other one pouts! Bwaahahah. I'm easily amused. And this is totally off topic. Sorry.

Adios for now...... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

p.s. and a special hug for my sweet babbooo....you are one nice lady!

Jesus Christ, I'm completely out of the loop.

When did Clay announce he was never getting married?

What in the hell does IIU mean?

I feel like that stranger in a strange land.

What in the hell does IIU mean?

I feel like that stranger in a strange land.

hey have you been skipping my posts LOL

I I U

that's Spam speak for IIT - I I U... the cluessless guard If If Uh

Iseeme, enjoy your new job!!

The best thing about FCA is that it is never boring. The first MB I joined is boring because hardly anyone expresses an opinion that dares to disagree with what is the popular opinion at any given time. Everyone just seems to agree about everything. Everything is always peachy and nice. Not realistic to me. I love the spirited discussions here, and most of the time someone expresses my point of view much better than I could have put it into words. Funny how someone always says what I am thinking. I do not think that anyone is going to make Couchie use the green ink. She is one wise woman.

What I gather from the discussions here is that everyone supports Clay in their own way. How can one young man inspire so much passion without even trying is what I would like to know?

heee ok I don't feel tension anymore just high spirited convo..and interesting topics... Happy to see some newbies not running screaming into the night...

Given that I came running and screaming to this board, I figure it's a bit counter-productive to turn tail and run. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

But, speaking of tails.... :013085001176249046: (just 'cause that's so cute).

And slightly OT, I don't know how banners happen around here or I'd ask directly.... just wondering what the font is that's in this banner? It'd be sooo perfect for something I'm working on.

heee ok I don't feel tension anymore just high spirited convo..and interesting topics... Happy to see some newbies not running screaming into the night...

Given that I came running and screaming to this board, I figure it's a bit counter-productive to turn tail and run. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

And slightly OT, I don't know how banners happen around here or I'd ask directly.... just wondering what the font is that's in this banner? It'd be sooo perfect for something I'm working on.

ooooh are you a banner maker. Ansa changes them every Tuesday. We welcome any and all banner submissions. She'll have to answer the font question.

going to work now...

about the font ...its Hawaiian punk...

BTW...we need more banners for the coming weeks...if anybody wants to submit a banner just pm me or couchie.

about the font ...its Hawaiian punk...

BTW...we need more banners for the coming weeks...if anybody wants to submit a banner just pm me or couchie.

Thanks - it's a very cool font! I've never done a banner actually - I'm just working on some tutorials for a class I teach (yes, I'm on summer vacation but this has to get in for printing and I just didn't get it done before I was off). Strangely, I've never done any work incorporating Clay (probably because there's just so many great ones others do that I figured we were drowning in riches). I did one PR class assignment analyzing one of his PR issues, if that counts. :cryingwlaughter:

Good Lord! Are you people not aware that Clay Aiken has temporarily fallen off the face of the earth and there really isn't that much to say? Nothing that should take up 6 pages while I was off celebrating eldest daughters b-day!

*unwads panties and proceeds*

So...song of the day....Where I Draw the Line.

I lah-ove.....'I melt every time we kiss'.....

I melt every time I hear him sing it.

*sigh*

I don't ever recall hearing a guy say they melt ..... it's been years......but I sooooooo remember that feeling!

OK, I finally have to work at work for HOURS on end, and you heifers have the NERVE to be bitchy without moi! Well, I never! (at least that I admit to!)

Huh. On the personal life, horrible as it may sound, I don't really care about Clay's. Really, I don't. I don't tend to care about anyone's that doesn't personally affect me. I will listen if interesting, and quite happily tune it out if boring. Can't really wrap my mind WHY people care at all what the hell other people do that doesn't affect them. And personally don't find "curiosity" or "caring" about them a particularly good reason for a scintilla of angst. Storybook wedding? Frankly, I find "storybook weddings" one of the stupidest inventions of the last twenty years - some girl (and it's ALWAYS some girls - this is so not a dude thing) wants to recreate some inner delusion where she is queen for a day - it brings every bad Bridezilla story to mind. And the term "whited sepulcher" forcibly comes to mind.

One-sided knowing? Oh hell no. I'm sure there are a lot of mistaken people out there who would insist they know me. Exes spring to mind. And they would be dead wrong.

Draw the Line totally rocks. Almost as good as As Long As We're Here. Almost. It actually speaks to me a little! He's taking control of his emotional state! I like that! A little cynical, I like that too.

Well, this newbie wasn't scared off...just not home!

I can't possibly add anything...really I can't. I don't know the man. All I know is what I think I know of him from what he's chosen to reveal to us. I've been re-reading some of Clay's blogs. One in particular made me a little sad. It's the one dated 01-08-07 For All of Us. I wonder why he didn't continue to post more "words of wisdom"? If he thought his words were being picked apart back then, it's no wonder he hasn't blogged regarding the current rumors.

Is it just me, or does that photo of Jaymes when compared to the earlier one, look photoshopped in the chin/neck area to make her look older? It just doesn't look quite right to me.

Whatever the truth is, I just hope Jaymes is healthy and happy and I pray for a safe delivery for her and the baby. I hope Clay is happy too...wherever he is/whatever he's doing. I really miss him.

LBFCA's "ultimate Clay Aiken video" Tournament has started. Really interesting choices. Off to watch. Oops, link: http://lbfca.diaryland.com/index.html.

LBFCA's "ultimate Clay Aiken video" Tournament has started. Really interesting choices. Off to watch.

link please..I always get lost over there and is it something we can do/see later?

I edited in a link in the first post so I just quoted myself. Karen Eh? posted about this earlier--It's all on their site. And yes, you can do it later. I don't know how long each video will be up. If I find out, I'll edit that in to this post. OK--every day there will be one or two videos. There are 16 pairs, 32 videos. There's a downloadable spreadsheet if you want to keep track. Kind of like the NCAA brackets. Heh. The scoop is here: http://lbfca.diaryland.com/tournament.html

I watched the first video--GMA "Without You." Not a good choice for an audiophile--the sound quality just isn't good so the various instruments don't come through distinctly--it's kind of a mush--and the back-ups either are flat or sound flat. Clay looks fantastic, and he wails at the end quite beautifully. I tried to watch it as an objective observer. It was impressive to see someone come on GMA with so many musicians. Diane's introduction was quite effusive. I think anyone watching this would think Clay is a big star. I skipped the interview part and went right to the minute marker that's mentioned. I was just watching along and enjoying it, and thinking about the crappy sound and how pretty he was in that phrase of his career, and boom, there I am, just for a second. I'd forgotten I was there. Wonderful video, crappy sound.

Off to watch the second. Really intriguing choice. I was just talking about this medley with a friend tonight. OK, I'm back from watching. This one has got my vote. What struck me for much of it was how utterly engaged he is in this as a piece of music, and how it pulls me in at that level too. He's aware of every note and every instrument, and his voice is fantastic. He's so much more relaxed than in the GMA performance, and yes, he is 100% cheestastic, but bring it on! There's a guy laughing near the camera who is so enjoying this, especially the Weezie dance. Clay felt the spirit! LOL.

The best thing about FCA is that it is never boring. The first MB I joined is boring because hardly anyone expresses an opinion that dares to disagree with what is the popular opinion at any given time. Everyone just seems to agree about everything. Everything is always peachy and nice. Not realistic to me. I love the spirited discussions here, and most of the time someone expresses my point of view much better than I could have put it into words. Funny how someone always says what I am thinking. I do not think that anyone is going to make Couchie use the green ink. She is one wise woman.

What I gather from the discussions here is that everyone supports Clay in their own way. How can one young man inspire so much passion without even trying is what I would like to know?

I do not think that anyone is going to make Couchie use the green ink. She is one wise woman.

You're pretty wise yourself. I think the thread title ended up meaning something opposite of what was originally intended. Passion we've got, and YAY for that.

I've just spent the last I-don't-know-how-many-minutes re-reading all the posts on this thread since kf's post about all the Clay videos on the AOL most played lists. That's a lot of pages. But more importantly for me, those pages revealed repeated miscommunication, misinterpretation and at time some pretty bizarre extrapolations of the words of many posters who, I would wager, didn't expect their words to cause such reactions.

I'm one of those people for sure. Rereading my own words after the subsequent reactions, I was looking particularly for what obviously triggered some interpretations that I hadn't intended. In many cases, I honestly could not see why my words were misconstrued.

However, in one case I think I can see why some people might've taken issue with my choice of words and so I want to make sure I correct the way I expressed myself so that I can continue to own my words. Here's the rub, I believe:

I like to tiptoe through tulips as much as the next FCAr. But I live in a real world and am all right with acknowledging that crabgrass sometimes insinuates itself in the field, you know? I'll pull that shit out when it makes sense too, or go around it to reach the flowers if that makes more sense.

Looking at the bolded sentence, I can see how some might've read them as "I live in a real world (and you don't)"...Which was NOT my intention. Perhaps I should've said, "The real world that I live in..." It's what I meant, but my choice of syntax did, I see, leave room for misinterpretation. I guess I was hoping for a more contextual reading---I'd surrounded that sentence, both here and in previous sections of posts referring to the same concept, with what I thought was enough context to understand that I was relating to MY experiences, the people in my real world who aren't Clay's core fans.

But I don't look at the field and ONLY see tulips. And I'm not especially warm and fuzzy about the feeling ---here on my 'home' message board---that if I acknowledge or comment on the crabgrass' proliferation or insinuation into the fields upon which I roam in my real life, I should be shown the errors of my ways. I'm not the one with the fucked-up opinions! I'm just saying that some people have them.
So if someone misinterpreted the first bolded sentence, I understand why they would read this second one with an evil eye, too. No, it is not an indictment of anyone who prefers to look on the bright side of life; it is not an accusation that anyone is in denial of 'reality' or doesn't know that there are negative things 'out there' about Clay. If anyone felt that accusation, please know that that was not my intention and I certainly apologize for any unnecessarily intense or unpleasant reactions my words might have created.

In that same spirit, my reviewing of these past pages has only strengthened my resolve to always 'own my words and how I say them' because the danger of having one's words misunderstood is not confined to just one person. I saw at least three 'trains of thought' or topic discussions (other than the original one I was part of) that in a matter of only one or two posts became something other than what the original poster intended. It was actually sobering to realize that.

With the above 'correction' annexed, I do not feel a need to 'fix' anything else I posted. It's what I wanted to say and I believe I said it clearly enough to be understood by those open to considering my opinion. Subsequent posts have me assuming that some people didn't like or agree with what I said, but that's not why I would ever change my words anyway. ;) Other posts have me figuring that the posters MUST have misunderstood something in order for them to respond as they chose to respond, and I just need to move on.

Still, I encourage all of us to sometimes do this---go back after some time has passed and reread a few pages. You might find examples of a word or a sentence in someone's post that you can point to as ones that, with a little 'fixing', might not have elicited the same reactions. Maybe some of them are even your words.

Accountability is an important thing to me. In an earlier post I said that "I own my words and how I express them". I do strive to do that. I hope that this post proves that. And I hope that we all remain interested in making sure our words say what we really mean to say and that, if it turns out that maybe they ended up not succeeding we can 'own' them and their repercussions.

And with that, my friends (and boardmates if for some I'm being too forward :)), admittedly I have made a sham of our thread title today. I've spent way too much time and thought today on this whole thing, and since the day itself has sucked donkey balls anyway (work, etc.), having my usual place for fun and 'escape' feel like a place of angst and tension has me (temporarily, of course) quoting one of those Brokeback Mountain men and say, "I wish I could quit you!" :cryingwlaughter:

But I know I can't don't want to, so I'm just going to work on my zen--"BE the thread title....BE the thread title" :whistling-1:

G'night, all.

Donkey balls reminded me that I love Clay's balls.

I'm tiptoeing through the tulips, through the tulips, through the tulips.....

But I know I can't don't want to, so I'm just going to work on my zen--"BE the thread title....BE the thread title" :whistling-1:

Too funny. I think the thread title is quite the inspiration.

Muski, thanks for sharing your exercise with us. The funny thing is that if we all did it we'd all reach different conclusions...that's part of the thrill and joy and part of the pitfall of a community like this. I didn't angst today but felt it in others.

I don't like that people feel tomatoed. Sometimes I don't get it cuz I just see disagrement or alternative views and I sit here perplexed wondering why their feelings go hurt. Yeah I do see the snippety sometimes but I'm so thick skinned and a truck has to fall on my head before I take much offense. I have to remember that everyone isn't like me.

I'm just going to repeat something LdyJ said and see what a brand new day brings:

Every board has their own tone, and in many instances, those tones change over the years -- some for good, some for bad. I personally like the tone here at FCA -- yes, we can get heated, but we also can have fun.

I actually even don't mind some of the "gerbil wheel" topics -- there's always a new person around who may not know that the topic is a "gerbil wheel" on a particular board. Sure, the wheel will probably start. The key, to me, is that tone thing -- trying to keep it respectful as possible. And then, it gives that new person a good idea of what that particular board is like on that particular topic.

It's 12:30 and I'm sitting her watching the most predictable, cheesiest, movie..god I can turn it off right now and I'm sure I know the ending...they'll put on a show and the program will be saved! heee And it has Meryl Streep in it and I don't even like her...geeze...Music of the Heart. Bunch of kids running around with violins. Sniff. double sniff..boyz to men singing the theme song.

Fedex is an approved scrabble word? This game is freakin' cheating me.

I'll just keep editing my post until you Australians wake up :cryingwlaughter:

eeeeeeeeeee not going to bed now...Crimson Tide.

waves to Kareneh!

***Waves to couchie*** Who seems to have logged off while I was catching up. :lilredani:

I think Clay should take you with him on his next UNICEF trip.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, once I heard he had gone to Somalia, I gave up my seat near the McDonald's in Fountain Square.

LBFCA's "ultimate Clay Aiken video" Tournament has started. Really interesting choices. Off to watch.

link please..I always get lost over there and is it something we can do/see later?

I edited in a link in the first post so I just quoted myself. Karen Eh? posted about this earlier--It's all on their site. And yes, you can do it later. I don't know how long each video will be up. If I find out, I'll edit that in to this post. OK--every day there will be one or two videos. There are 16 pairs, 32 videos. There's a downloadable spreadsheet if you want to keep track. Kind of like the NCAA brackets. Heh. The scoop is here: http://lbfca.diaryland.com/tournament.html

Bolding mine......The videos were paired up by random drawing so the combinations are definitely going to be interesting. That was the idea...to keep the whole thing a little off beat, a little head scratching, and I think it can add a degree of difficulty in making the choices. Like, I have a favorite ATD video (Martha Stewart) and if that went up against any other ATD video then I'm going to vote for that one. But if it's up against something else like say Suspicious Minds from the JBT, what am I going to choose? I don't know. We also hoped people would talk about some of their favorites that were left out. I think, too, that the choices were limited by what could be found on You Tube. I was surprised at some of the things that are NOT. Some of us had a very enjoyable weekend going down memory lane and I have to give huge kudos to Lecherous Broad Danielle who came up with the idea and built the tournament. Should be fun! :D