#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

We got new windows in our house today. Now, I'm dealing with a fine layer of dust over almost everyting in the house. Blech.

Hee, that sounds like a normal day in my house. :cryingwlaughter:

Storybook wedding? Frankly, I find "storybook weddings" one of the stupidest inventions of the last twenty years - some girl (and it's ALWAYS some girls - this is so not a dude thing) wants to recreate some inner delusion where she is queen for a day - it brings every bad Bridezilla story to mind.

Wheeeeeeeeeee! I am not alone! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Will post my thoughts on WIDTL from work. Been sitting here watching the first two LBFCA videos. Interesting concept, kind of weird to choose between a professionally shot WY and a fan shot TV Themes, though. But fun. I voted for WY. Love that song, love the way he sings it with his entire body. And while the San Diego TV Themes was good, the speaker got in the way of seeing his feet during the Jefferson dance. :whistling-1:

Good Morning Everyone,

4 Days until Clay is on CNN for UNICEF! :woohoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I hope no one gets offended about another persons opinion on all things Clay. Even playbiller and I differ on what we want to know vs what we need to know. It even extends to our family. Whoever came up with the saying "different strokes for different folks' was head on. Just as I don't mind if someone scrolls over my posts (probably due to boredom *g*), I absolutely feel free to scroll over a post that I find upsetting.

I just don't get insulting Clay and his family under the guise of "snark", which I think is often an excuse rather than something fun. JMO

O/T- I found out yesterday that I was paying twice as much for my eyeglasses as I needed to, Costco is way cheaper and some of the frames are pretty nice. A lesson learned from this old dog. Now i did promise my son that I would look at the online eyeglass sites for prescription sunglasses. He bought a pair for $70, photoshopped them on a picture of himself and emailed it to us. Cracked us up. :cryingwlaughter:

How can one young man inspire so much passion without even trying is what I would like to know?

A question for the ages, desertrose. Let me know when you find the answer. There is a dissertation thesis in this somewhere.

rohdy I Melt With You by Modern English...a small classic from the 80's. Raise your hand if you saw Valley Girl (the song was used in that movie) with Nicolas Cage and I believe Deborah Foreman. Ok keep you hands up if you own the film. (much smaller crowd). Loved the movie and the song.

I am really far behind but I wanted to mention another chick flick, a kinda chick flick that has guys and girls, and a chick click with pretty much all guys. Love, love, love all of these movies.

Persuasian, BBC version with Amanda Root. Just superb, very satisfying.

Last Days of Disco, Kate Beckinsdale, Chole Sevigney, assorted men. Very talky (even the guys) and that is why I call it a chick film with guys and gals. Again, very satisfying.

Swingers Jon Favereau, Vince Vaughn, Jon Livingston (very cute) Pretty much all guys, very talky, hence the "chick" flick designation. I believe I am the only person in the universe who received this dvd from a son for Mother's Day. It was the perfect gift at the time because I love this film.

Ok, back to Clay. (I think he could have played the Jon Livingston part....and maybe, just maybe the Jon Favereau part). What I really want to talk about is Where I Draw the Line

Back in the days of the snippets, this was not one of my favorites but when I saw him sing this on QVC I was really drawn to the song. Crack on the "kiss" and all (apologies to duckyvee who can barely watch that song due to the flub). I think this song really, really rocks. The orchestration when he sings "Are you going to rescue me" is so kick ass with the driving guitars. I love when phrases are sung with emphasis on pretty much the same note. (Baby You Can Drive My Car by the Beatles comes to mind) And then followed by the plaintive, achingly sung "Or are you going to be the death of me." Just perfection.

Music people, is that is what is known as the bridge of a song, those two lines? I think it is the best bridge on the entire album. Very much adds to the power of the song.

I think this song could be enormously popular if heard on the radio. I do not particularly care for his performance of it on the AOL sessions, however. He seems a little flat in the beginning. QVC much better.

Just wanted to say I love reading on this board.

Draw the Line totally rocks. Almost as good as As Long As We're Here. Almost. It actually speaks to me a little! He's taking control of his emotional state! I like that! A little cynical, I like that too.

YAY....we agree on some songs at least. I love ALAWH...I think that is close to my fave and I am sad I wasn't able to join that discussion

WIDTL...love that too. And I love how it started like a typical love song...then goes, but hey I don't want to care for you cos you know...don't know if I can trust you. I also just like the melody here and that one wailing he does is cool!! So I do like some glory notes...

eta: oooh cagney love that line too. I think it could be a bridge....

I also wasn;t that enamored with it on the clips...I think it was one that I always forget...but the whole song is just great. I thought it truly fits what I know of Clay and my impressions based on LAA and how careful he seems to be about relationships...

OH I meant to comment on the latest picture of Jaymes...I know that it is just one moment ...one milisecond of time in her life...but the expression in her face...the way she was walking , just gave me the impression that she was much more guarded...tense... hope all is well with her and the baby.

Storybook wedding? Frankly, I find "storybook weddings" one of the stupidest inventions of the last twenty years - some girl (and it's ALWAYS some girls - this is so not a dude thing) wants to recreate some inner delusion where she is queen for a day - it brings every bad Bridezilla story to mind.

Nope. Not alone at all. I just don't get the storybook wedding culture. I know it means a lot to some people, including my own niece most recently, and I can respect that, so I won't go on about it, but there are some components that are so odd to me when viewed from a distance. A marriage ceremony can be beautiful, touching, a wonderful thing to witness, but all of the scripted traditions around a 'dream wedding' - not my thing.

The video tournament is such a fun idea! The first 2 entries were hard to compare, but that's part of the fun. Do I pick pretty, star-like Clay, or fun-loving, natural, ICG-inducing Clay? Both sing great! I went for the latter. The man laughing in the background - priceless.

Where I Draw the Line - It's in my top 5. I love the theme, most of the instrumentation, Clay's voice. The only thing that bugs me is the instrumentation in the opening, closing and around 1:22 . It brings 10CC's I'm Not In Love to mind, and I find that distracting. (At the Listening Party I said those parts reminded me of Wham's Careless Whisper, but that wasn't the song I meant.)

Favorite phrase: "behind me, to remind me."

Good song. :clap:

ETA: About cagney's note about my reaction to the crack in "kiss" on the QVC performance of WIDTL.... it's not that I expect or need Clay to be perfect. It's just that it was the first time I heard the song, as I didn't listen to the snippets, and the crack stuck in my mind. For a while I heard it even when listening to the recording. First impression indelibility. Sort of like a wacky PSTD experience. Silly. I know. And I'm over it. Finally. It took a while.

the simple fact that Clay has been able to suprise me so much says a lot to me about what I don't know. He's a really intriguing man. The fact that I can see this story being complete hogwash or absolutely true sorta crstyalizes that for me.

Oh, so true!!!

where's the darn picture? Is it top secret?

From 00lsee, posted at CH, a comparison of the first (left) and the latest (right):

jaymes_070108-2.jpg

Call me crazy, but doesn't that look like it was taken on the same day, just in a different location? Same shoes, same jeans, same jacket...looks like maybe the same shirt. Unless she wears the same thing every single day, I'm betting it was taken the same day as the first one.

LBFCA poll.....fun!! Thanks for bringing that over, jmh and kareneh

RE: Jaymes pic

Similar outfits. First pic - the shirt fabric is kind of nubby, black sweat or hoodie. Second pic - smooth fabric lighter tan shirt, navy jacket with cuffs.

What I noticed mostly was that she does not look happy. I have no doubt that she say the creep with the camera. She does look guarded. And seems to be holding the shopping bag over her middle.

I feel for her. Slimey people.

Here's another pic from Houston. My seat wasn't that great and I'm no KarenEh! :cryingwlaughter:

Clickety Clack!!! (or clickie to biggie!)

th_HoustonPOdClose.jpg

Bye, Y'all!

I bet as soon as I get to work Field Notes Blog will magically appear at UNICEF!!

On the matter of Clay's personal life, I do think it is human nature to be interested in the personal lives of others that we hear about in the news. However, this is a side to human nature that is not attractive when it crosses the boundaries. I think the fact that Clay has remained silent about the whole baby situation means that he doesn't consider it anyone's business. Some celebrities, of course, love the spotlight at any price, and let's not forget the price Anna Nicole (for example) paid for the craziness of her tabloid life. It's a flaw of human nature to be so fixated on other people's personal lives; we could serve the universe much better by getting to know our-own-self so that we can fix our own problems. (I am constantly amazed at the things I learn about myself, how could I possibly claim to know anyone else?)

OK, on to another topic close to my heart....I came across an old video casette I have of Motown 25, and wondered if the segment of Michael Jackson doing Billie Jean would be on YouTube, and it sure is. My Mowtown 25 - Yesterday, Today and TOmorrow video cassette is one I have watched over a dozen times (being the Motown fanatic that I am). Michael Jackson almost didn't take part in the occasion (Motown 25 year reunion) - everyone involved had to perform a Motown song but MJ agreed to be part of it ONLY if he could perform his new song, Billie Jean. This performance is one of the all-time best performances I have ever seen on television, and it is the first time the world saw Michael Jackson do the moonwalk. I understand Fred Aistaire called Michael afterwards to congratulate him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvHgNpM3wr4&NR=1

ETA:" Michael and the Jacksons - incredible performance. I LOVED those guys!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zhqV-rRsUPc&feature=related

I am really far behind but I wanted to mention another chick flick, a kinda chick flick that has guys and girls, and a chick click with pretty much all guys. Love, love, love all of these movies.

Persuasian, BBC version with Amanda Root. Just superb, very satisfying.

Oh YES! (tm Sir Robin)

That's all I've got this morning. Feeling rather crabby. Need coffee. For all intents & purposes, tomorrow is "Friday". Yay!

cagney, your comment about your DVD Mother's Day gift reminded me of what I got one year from my kids when they were teenagers. Two tapes..... Supertrap - "Crime of the Century" & Pink Floyd - "Dark Side of the Moon". That was back in the day when I was considered a "cool" mom. Now that I'm a Clay fan, they wouldn't dream of getting me a CD of his music...even if I didn't already have 6 extra copies! Obviously, it is them who are no longer "cool". :whistling-1:

I think Jaymes looks more pregnant in the first picture than she does in the second. Of course it could have something to do with the skillful placement of her shopping bag.

I agree about TMZ.. sleeze in it's lowest form! :angry2:

That's all I've got this morning. Feeling rather crabby. Need coffee. For all intents & purposes, tomorrow is "Friday". Yay!

Not just any old Friday but the start of a three day weekend..One where I'll be ALL ALONE and unlike King Arthur...am ecstatic about the very thought.

Fairytale wedding - had one, the wedding was the high point of the marriage. I don't even have the pictures any more.

That being said, I do wish a fairy tale wedding for everyone who wants one, but don't feel sad about anyone not having one, unless they have confided to me that it is their heart's desire.

I feel that Ruben is v. happy, from the teensy glimpse we got. I am v. happy for him!

I believe what sets me off post-wise is when a negative post makes the calm assumption - or shrill insistance - that I must feel the same way. And that if I don't, I am willfully choosing to ignore stuff.

Or I just don't have the facts, or that I am in denial. Or I am just not smart enough to get the other person's POV. Nope. Nope. Nope. I just process things differently and have different filters.

And my life right now is horrifically stressful - it is not my nature to carry that over to how I interact with other people or situations, is all. Nothing "noble" or whatever - I am not making a choice, I just am not wired that way.

Heeee...one of my favorite odd compliments - I was working in a group that was traditionally all guys, system management, I was the first female evah! to get into the group. One of the guys, having had a couple of beers at an after-work get-together, said that they really appreciated that they could not tell when I got my period, because I never got bitchy. I get mad, of course, at some things, but never bitchy just because of a mood. I bought him another beer!

I think "trusting Clay" is kind of a misnomer for some of us because we really don't think we would know better than he does about himself. So it is more of a casual thing. I trust everybody here to make their own decisions about their lives, I sure don't think I am qualified to do that based on what I read on the internet, same for Clay. It is kind of a misleading phrase, I think.

It was pointed out elsewhere that perhaps now Jaymes is wearing maternity jeans instead of regular jeans, which would explain the perception of size. And I just squicked myself out.

Anyway, when I was pregnant, you could not tell from the rear, and I went through 3 or 4 dozen eggs a week for months, and spent a month addicted to baked potatoes. Had my baby six weeks early, which spared me all of the extra weight gain and other uncomfortable stuff.

I love Where I Draw The Line. But not as much as I love Lover All Alone.

CDs from other favorite artists? No idea whatsover when new ones are released, I just look on Amazon when I think about it. I don't watch any daytime talk shows, no morning news shows, no late night talk shows unless I can't sleep or if Clay is going to be a guest. And if I can't sleep, I would rather watch a CSI Any City than watch a talk show. I do flip through, but it seems lately all I see is Jack Black slumped in a seat looking bored or stoned.

I am torn about the frequency of Clay mentions. Nobody is on everybody's radar all the time, but Clay manages to be "visible" in one way or another most of the time. Clay gets so many mentions because he is interesting and gets a reaction. Only dedicated haters deny his talents, though, which is a huge difference between him and Paris Hilton. Paris is famous for being famous and having no talent whatsoever. Clay does not fall into that category.

People do not take shots at Clarkson, Buble, or Groban because there is nothing interesting there, IMO, not because they "respect" them. If Jay Leno, for instance, made a Clay joke and then followed it up with "But that Kelly Clarkson, she sure has a great voice", I would feel differently.

Heh, one thing I got out of this fandom is that now I cannot bear to hear a singer taking in big gasping breaths while singng. Which means I never got through Breakaway - can't help it. That breath thing will make me turn off a song in a heartbeat, and I cannot help deliberately listening for it.

I can honestly say I don't care if the current Clay situation is true or not. It is just interesting as hell. The Clay Aiken saga, what little we know about it, is the best continuing series in the world - sorta like Twin Peaks - no idea what is really going on, no hope of connecting the dots until the ending (and even then, some dots will be forever unconnected, which is cool and as it should be) - I just tune in and enjoy the show.

The preceding stuff is just really where I am coming from, not an edict or anything!

Not just any old Friday but the start of a three day weekend..One where I'll be ALL ALONE and unlike King Arthur...am ecstatic about the very thought.

:whoo: Party at couchie's!! :me0:

Seriously though, good for you. :thbighug-1:

djs...I think this part of your post applies to everyone, with any opinion, depending on the point of view of the reader:

I believe what sets me off post-wise is when a negative optimistic preachy (insert adjective of choice here)post makes the calm assumption - or shrill insistance - that I must feel the same way. And that if I don't, I am willfully choosing to ignore stuff.

Or I just don't have the facts, or that I am in denial. Or I am just not smart enough to get the other person's POV. Nope. Nope. Nope. I just process things differently and have different filters.

claytonic...thanks for that Michael Jackson clip. I was smiling the whole time. What an entertainer! And bless his heart, then his face was still attractive and recognizable. MJ's another person whose talent is sometimes overshadowed by rumors and wild tales about his private life, isn't he? When it comes down to it, what of all that we've heard about him is actually the truth? :8:

I'm looking for a weekend watching softball in a lovely location StrikeTHree.jpg, so am going to try extra hard today at work to try to catch up to the point that I can enjoy myself for the holiday without thinking of deadlines and projects and....

:Ahh:

Hey, it's HUMP day! So in the spirit of said day, I present the following for your fantasy meanderings:

Iwish.jpg

Photoshops not your cuppa? How about the real thang? :sleezy:

golfguhhlg-1.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

ClayAiken-Houston-7-6-07-u.jpg

People1_2_09212006Tagged_1.jpg

PM5C.gif

Fairytale wedding - had one, the wedding was the high point of the marriage. I don't even have the pictures any more.

That being said, I do wish a fairy tale wedding for everyone who wants one, but don't feel sad about anyone not having one, unless they have confided to me that it is their heart's desire.

One of favorite things are those delightful "judge" shows (which demonstrates amply to me why I'm not a judge) and I watch flabbergasted everytime some bride comes in screaming about how her day was "ruined" because the cupcake icing was "oyster" instead of "pearl". I guess I wish a fairy tale wedding for everyone who wants one and doesn't make other people miserable. I still mock my sister over her throwing a hissy fit 8 years ago about the damn wedding invitations - she wanted to make her own (actually force her sisters and friends help make them), had to have special paper and special ribbons and special calligraphy. What did she throw the fit about? She wanted heart-shaped holes to thread the ribbon through that would hold the vellum and hand made paper together. The store didn't have the heart-shaped punch. Notwithstanding the heart shape couldn't even been seen once the ribbon was in it. One of so very many stupid, stupid things that she "needed" for her 2nd "dream" wedding - at least she paid for it. Some time I will tell you about the really bad idea she had about sparklers at the reception. Really bad.

Heeee...one of my favorite odd compliments - I was working in a group that was traditionally all guys, system management, I was the first female evah! to get into the group. One of the guys, having had a couple of beers at an after-work get-together, said that they really appreciated that they could not tell when I got my period, because I never got bitchy. I get mad, of course, at some things, but never bitchy just because of a mood. I bought him another beer!

Lord, that's the kind of thing that would make me just wanna slap the shit out of the guy. If I get bitchy (and frankly it's never because of my 'period' - am not fond of stereotyping at the best of times), it's no better or worse that if some guy gets bitchy because of a "mood" or because they feel bad for whatever the fuck reason (which they do - and "ass" or "jerk" or "PITA" is just another word for bitchy), I'm bitchy and I'll own it. Why was the period comment even necessary? Is it OK to be bitchy 26 days of the month as long as those 4 days are sacrosanct? Would it have been OK for you (well, me) to respond that I really appreciated that apparently his hand didn't reject him on a regular basis because he would only get mad, and not assy? Feh.

Motown 25 was incredible. And MJ was on top of the world.

Three-day weekend my ass. After today, my office won't see me until Monday! Woo HOO!

O/T- I found out yesterday that I was paying twice as much for my eyeglasses as I needed to, Costco is way cheaper and some of the frames are pretty nice. A lesson learned from this old dog. Now i did promise my son that I would look at the online eyeglass sites for prescription sunglasses. He bought a pair for $70, photoshopped them on a picture of himself and emailed it to us. Cracked us up. :cryingwlaughter:

Fear, my husband heard of a place to order eyeglasses on line from one of the Financial radio talk show guys, not Dave Ramsey, but someone like that. So, when he had his last eye exam, he went ahead and ordered glasses where he had the exam, but asked for a copy of his prescription. He decided to order a back up pair from this online place, Zinni Optical, just to see if they were any good. He got a pair of no line bi focal, anti glare in frames for $47 including shipping. He was very pleased with them. I'm sure they have limited frame options, but what he got was very similar to what he normally gets. The glasses on this site actually start at $8 a pair. The only thing that seemed pretty cheap looking was the glasses case.

LBFCA's "ultimate Clay Aiken video" Tournament has started. Really interesting choices. Off to watch.

link please..I always get lost over there and is it something we can do/see later?

I edited in a link in the first post so I just quoted myself. Karen Eh? posted about this earlier--It's all on their site. And yes, you can do it later. I don't know how long each video will be up. If I find out, I'll edit that in to this post. OK--every day there will be one or two videos. There are 16 pairs, 32 videos. There's a downloadable spreadsheet if you want to keep track. Kind of like the NCAA brackets. Heh. The scoop is here: http://lbfca.diaryland.com/tournament.html

Bolding mine......The videos were paired up by random drawing so the combinations are definitely going to be interesting. That was the idea...to keep the whole thing a little off beat, a little head scratching, and I think it can add a degree of difficulty in making the choices. Like, I have a favorite ATD video (Martha Stewart) and if that went up against any other ATD video then I'm going to vote for that one. But if it's up against something else like say Suspicious Minds from the JBT, what am I going to choose? I don't know. We also hoped people would talk about some of their favorites that were left out. I think, too, that the choices were limited by what could be found on You Tube. I was surprised at some of the things that are NOT. Some of us had a very enjoyable weekend going down memory lane and I have to give huge kudos to Lecherous Broad Danielle who came up with the idea and built the tournament. Should be fun! :D

The video tournament is such a fun idea! The first 2 entries were hard to compare, but that's part of the fun. Do I pick pretty, star-like Clay, or fun-loving, natural, ICG-inducing Clay? Both sing great! I went for the latter. The man laughing in the background - priceless.

Been sitting here watching the first two LBFCA videos. Interesting concept, kind of weird to choose between a professionally shot WY and a fan shot TV Themes, though. But fun. I voted for WY. Love that song, love the way he sings it with his entire body. And while the San Diego TV Themes was good, the speaker got in the way of seeing his feet during the Jefferson dance. :whistling-1:

I think this is such a brilliant idea, and the "off beat, head scratching" part is great! I didn't think about the YouTube limitation. Another cool thing is that the embedded YouTubes have a row of little boxes on them that link to other Clay videos that are on line.

Since I'm not a member of the LBFCA board, I thought it was fun to talk about the videos here, and I'm really interested in hearing from other people as well.

Nope. Not alone at all. I just don't get the storybook wedding culture. I know it means a lot to some people, including my own niece most recently, and I can respect that, so I won't go on about it, but there are some components that are so odd to me when viewed from a distance. A marriage ceremony can be beautiful, touching, a wonderful thing to witness, but all of the scripted traditions around a 'dream wedding' - not my thing.

I'm with y'all--so we all are not alone! :cryingwlaughter: I think it's a incredible waste of money, for one thing. Tens of thousands of dollars or more for one day. Boggles my mind. I think some women are more interested in having the ceremony than in actually being married. The ritual value of ceremony is to give power to a commitment. Storybook weddings don't do the job, are a cultural failure in that respect, or we wouldn't have such a high divorce rate.

I believe what sets me off post-wise is when a negative post makes the calm assumption - or shrill insistance - that I must feel the same way. And that if I don't, I am willfully choosing to ignore stuff.

Yup. "I know it sucks and if you were as smart (or aware) as I am, you'd know it too." Ugh.

I think "trusting Clay" is kind of a misnomer for some of us because we really don't think we would know better than he does about himself. So it is more of a casual thing. I trust everybody here to make their own decisions about their lives, I sure don't think I am qualified to do that based on what I read on the internet, same for Clay. It is kind of a misleading phrase, I think.

Very nicely said. I trust Clay to run his own life and his own business. Not my job or interest to do either, or to second guess his choices. I trust him to look out for himself. He's a grown man. I tend to "react" when I read posts that seem to infantilize Clay, or to imply that the poster could do a better job of being Clay Aiken than Clay does.

CDs from other favorite artists? No idea whatsover when new ones are released, I just look on Amazon when I think about it. I don't watch any daytime talk shows, no morning news shows, no late night talk shows unless I can't sleep or if Clay is going to be a guest. And if I can't sleep, I would rather watch a CSI Any City than watch a talk show. I do flip through, but it seems lately all I see is Jack Black slumped in a seat looking bored or stoned.

Yup again. I rarely watch those shows, and I don't read the "entertainment" magazines either. Don't listen to the radio. I don't even stroll through Walmart or Target on any kind of a regular basis. Back when there were actual music stores, I used to wander through them looking for albums that interested me. None of the usual marketing plans are going to work for me. I buy most of my music based on on-line comments these days.

Lord, that's the kind of thing that would make me just wanna slap the shit out of the guy. If I get bitchy (and frankly it's never because of my 'period' - am not fond of stereotyping at the best of times), it's no better or worse that if some guy gets bitchy because of a "mood" or because they feel bad for whatever the fuck reason (which they do - and "ass" or "jerk" or "PITA" is just another word for bitchy), I'm bitchy and I'll own it. Why was the period comment even necessary? Is it OK to be bitchy 26 days of the month as long as those 4 days are sacrosanct? Would it have been OK for you (well, me) to respond that I really appreciated that apparently his hand didn't reject him on a regular basis because he would only get mad, and not assy? Feh.

Bwah! KAndre, this happened about 25 years ago in Durham, NC. When I applied for this particular job, I was assured by the guy I shared a cubicle with (who had also applied for that job) that I would never get it because I was a Yankee AND a woman. I was afraid he was right, because all the other women in Operations were clerks and operators.

I am pretty sure I got the job partly on ability and partly because I said I would be willing to work on Sundays during basketball season, because I had no dogs in that hunt.

Baby steps back then, in that completely good-old-boy atmosphere. Just getting into the group was a triumph. Today it would be different.

djs...I think this part of your post applies to everyone, with any opinion, depending on the point of view of the reader:

Muski - yep. Exactly! Which is why I am honestly puzzled when people take exception to being disagreed with or argued with. That is the nature of a board, or it should be.

atinal - I already bookmarked that glasses site - wow! I really really needed that! Huge smoochies to you!!!!!!

My wedding was more like a business function than a wedding - my fiance's family directed everything, even when they deemed my dress too plain, they took it and sewed tiny pearl beads all over it. Plus I had two notebooks to keep updated, one for the engagement one for the wedding, gift, giver, value or dollar amount. This was referred to for years whenever there was a wedding or whatever, by my in-laws.

My big regret (besides actually getting married at that time) was that my future father-in-law had arranged to have the reception at the Media Inn and for the band to be Bill Haley and the Comets. Back then you could get older acts who were never gonna have another hit record fairly cheap. I said no because they had literally decided everything else. My rebellion was having the reception at the airport, no-name band, and wearing a lime green knit mini-dress the next day, when we left for the honeymoon. Tradition decreed a knit suit and a big corsage. Nope. The reception was fun, though, but I still wish I had not been embarassed to have Bill Haley.

OH I meant to comment on the latest picture of Jaymes...I know that it is just one moment ...one milisecond of time in her life...but the expression in her face...the way she was walking , just gave me the impression that she was much more guarded...tense... hope all is well with her and the baby.

I think it's just that she is not posing. If you watch people when they think no one is looking at them, they often look very solemn. They're just thinking about stuff. Plus it's just a millisecond of time. Perhaps TMZ had a whole burst of shots and picked the one that looked most unhappy.

kareneh and JMH thank you for bringing over the Lecherous Broads stuff. I was trying to think of something fun to do that could involve a lot of folks and get them talking but wasn't coming up with anything fresh. That's fresh and fun. Daily reminder links would be cool too.

My mom finished paying off my brother's wedding only one year after the divorce :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: I think I still have my powder blue "prom" dress with the big powder blue hat somewhere. But you know my sister also had the most beautiful, perfect wedding (except for her hair dresser not showing up thingie oh and the church bungling the video) and a good, but not fairytale, life. I've seen all sides as have most of us I'm sure.

Thanks atinal, I'll check out that site too. My son gave me glassyeyes.com .

I'm with you luckiest, I voted for WY. That song always does something to me. jmh, loved the contest. Is it run daily? My cat got me up at 4AM by breathing her not so fresh breath in my face, so it was a good time to watch those videos.

Ah weddings. Mine was big but cheap. In our family you always had to know somebody or at the least ask for a discount all the time. The receptionist at the office I first worked at in NYC had a husband in the bridal veil business so she referred me to a wedding gown manufacturer in the garment distict- wholesale of course and the veil was from her husband's business. The rings were supposed to come from a friend of my fathers but my husband rebelled because it became a little complicated and we got them at a jewelry store instead. We used my uncle's band. A friend of my father's was the emcee. And on and on.

:shrug:

Well to speak for using optometrists, and I use drug store glasses myself......... I used to see this Optometrist in Newark recommended by my best ever, now dead ophthalmologist. The optometrist would fit the glasses on youur face after they were done. It was important that it fit so that the lines and curves were in the right place over your eyeball. First he measured the distance of the eye centers, etc, but once the glasses were done, it was important thay sat right on your face. For example. I have always had full cheeks, so that when I smile, the wrong shape glasses would move up and down on my face. So the doctor would make me try on the frames before he made the perscription to make sure the glasses frame was suitable. After it was made he would check my vision with a machine and bend the glasses to fit a certain way. Now I had nearly perfect vision, so it really ws not that important and I had to stop wearing the glasses because I got into trouble - they corrected a life long astigmatism which tilted my world but I had adapted to, so I could not even walk with the glasses on, however my legally blind coke bottle glasses companion had never seen so clearly as when this doctor did his glasses, and after the optometrist retired, never saw as well again. I never had anyone take that time to fit glasses so carefully again, but I know what is possible when you have a caring professional doing it.

Fairytale wedding, didn't have one. Couldn't agree on the guests, small children, no small children, second cousins, first cousins only, church, not a church, etc. Should have been a sign, but too blind. Before the wedding, my mother took me aside and said "there is no problem if you change your mind". Earlier that day, my best friend said pretty much the same thing to me. Earlier in the week, another friend (not invited) asked me why I was doing something so stupid. Maybe that is my own bizzare version of a fairytale. You know, one of those nightmare kind with trolls and ogres and stuff.

picture - Does it mean the enemy has won in that the T initial people have all the Clay fans talking about the picture? I do not expect anyone else to feel this way, but the picture makes me feel uncomfortable because it is another picture that would not have been taken or shown if it could not be used against Clay. I don't think Jaymes is that public a person. This is another thing that I believe makes Clay dig in to have some private life. Ever since the Amber thing where she was seen with him and within a few hours she was called on "using " Clay and a famewhore, I think Clay is aware how he draws unflattering attention to the women around him. On the other hand, I look at how Clay must really attract these woman as many are willing to put up with the crap.

Fear's Wedding - not such a cheesy one - 200 gueszts, our uncle's band had like 10 pieces in it and could play all kinds of music, especially polkas. Her gown, despite the issues in actually getting it, was very sophisiticated and everyone had a good time, except maybe her. In a large family budgets are a neccessity. As far as asking for discounts, - it is the way of the world, my favorite Hank Hill episode is the one where people find out that his "car guy" has been giving him a special secret deal of sticker price for new cars "and not a penny more".

As far as Clay, he certainly appeared happy at the end of everything, I hope taht the stuidity of the media and the sadness in Somalia has not dampened that happiness.

Hee, weddings? I had 12 guests in a civil ceremony at which I tried my hardest not to laugh because the canned music (cassette) got chewed up and garbled during the service. I forbid the justice of the peace from getting too religious during the ceremony, although he insisted he had to mention God at least once. I did, however, wear the traditional white gown, with as few sequins as possible, and I had a maid of honour, who sewed her own dress. I think we had 40 people at the reception, where I forbid the DJ from playing any "Stars on 45" type stuff (does anyone remember that?) or disco, and advised him to go heavy on 50s/60s music. That part was fun.

I hope there is some JBT stuff in the Broads video competition. I heard an Elvis medley from Cary JBT at lunch and man, was he growly that day! :wub:

I had new invisible bifocals prescribed recently, and took them in to a 2 for 1 place to have made. So I will get a pair of prescription sunglasses for free. Now all I need to do is find the money to go and pick them up. :cryingwlaughter: