#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

Just to show you what an ungrateful bitch I am...

My first thought on seeing that picture was, "WHY OH WHY didn't they show his toes??"

I need therapy.

Thanks for bringing the bigger picture over. In this picture it doesn't look like a goatee, just lots of pretty stubble. Although I thought it looked good as a goatee too. Can't wait to see more pictures from his trip and hear more from him. I was starting to suffer withdrawals.

Here's the pretty picture:

324702792_vQkRc-L.jpg

Guh. :Thud:

OK, no goatee. But some NIIIIIIIIIICE stubble....

jmh, I'm glad our votes cancelled each other out. :imgtongue:

Just to show you what an ungrateful bitch I am...

My first thought on seeing that picture was, "WHY OH WHY didn't they show his toes??"

I need therapy.

Who knows? He could be wearing loafers and no socks. All he needs is a pair of sunglasses and a linen jacket and he could be part of the cast of Miami Vice....

Hee ldyj... where ever did you get

? :whistling-1:

Thanks Perma! :flirtysmile3::Thud:

Just got back from my interview for the 2nd job. I think it went well. But what the hell do I know? I always think interviews go well and yet I'm still interviewing... <_< They're supposed to make their decision "soon" - I certainly hope they're using Webster's definition and not Aiken's!

Hope you can finally get some relief from your back troubles, Gibby, now that they know what's wrong. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I forgot - have fun on your roadtrip, cha cha! Looks like you & Mr. cha cha make a good team. :)

I hope we really get to hear him talk on the CNN special Sunday. And I really, really, really hope that one of these days he'll do an in-depth interview where he talks about his UNICEF & BAF experiences. *crosses fingers & toes*

Longer version of the article from yesterday, with longer quotes, at unicefusa.org:

UNICEF Ambassador Clay Aiken Visits Northwest Somalia

UNICEF Ambassador Clay Aiken visits northwest Somalia

UNICEF is making a difference in Somalia despite difficult circumstances; Urges world to remember Somali children

Donate now to support UNICEF's work for the children of Somalia.

NAIROBI, KENYA (July 3, 2008) — UNICEF Ambassador Clay Aiken today ended a five-day visit to the troubled East-African nation of Somalia and called on the world to remember the plight of that country’s children.

“Unfortunately this is a region that’s better known for conflict, insecurity, drought and floods,” said Aiken who has been a UNICEF Ambassador for four years. “It’s truly remarkable that UNICEF is still able to make a difference in the health, education and overall well-being of Somali children.”

Aiken traveled to Hargeisa, Gabiley and Boroma located in the northwest region of the country, known as the republic of Somaliland. Here, Aiken was able to observe first-hand UNICEF-supported projects that promote child health, safe water, sanitation and hygiene, primary education, child protection and girls’ empowerment.

Somalia is a country in which less than 25 percent of the population has access to basic health services, less than 30 percent of children attend primary school and only 29 percent have access to a safe water source.

It's also a place where 98 percent of girls are subjected to genital circumcision and maternal mortality rates are among the highest in the world.

One of Aiken’s first stops was the Somaliland Cultural and Sports Association (SOCSA), an enclosed facility in Gabiley dedicated to empowering girls through sport and cultural activities.

“The girls here are able to learn about leadership and health, acquire life-skills and play sports within a safe environment,” said Aiken. “Even the youngest girls that I’ve met at SOCSA impressed me with how confident and articulate they are as a result of this project.”

At a camp for 1500 internally displaced families in Hargeisa, Aiken met 11-year-old Abduraman, who helps to support his five siblings and blind mother by working each morning to collect stones. He uses his earnings to pay for school which he attends in the afternoon.

“Somalia has some of the lowest enrollment rates in the world, but every child has the right to an education,” Aiken stressed. “UNICEF is working to help ensure that even working children get to go to school.” UNICEF has also provided the camp with child protection monitors, teacher-training and school materials.”

In Boroma, Aiken also visited maternal and child health clinics to observe nutritional feeding and immunization activities along with projects supporting children with disabilities, the eradication of female genital mutilation and the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV.

“Now that I have seen Somalia for myself, I feel it is important for the American public to remember that the Somali people have the same dreams for their children that we do,” said Aiken, who in recent years has also visited conflict areas in Afghanistan and Uganda for UNICEF.

“The country is one of the most desperate in the world. Fortunately, UNICEF has always been there and continues to provide the support needed to make a difference. No other organization is more capable of making such a difference than UNICEF," Aiken added.

The lack of a permanent central government has contributed to Somalia’s status as one of the poorest and most volatile countries in the world. One of the most serious droughts since the 1970s has affected large parts of the country, exacerbating hardships for rural populations.

ABOUT UNICEF

For more than 60 years, UNICEF has been the world’s leading international children’s organization, working in over 150 countries to address the ongoing issues that affect why kids are dying. UNICEF provides lifesaving nutrition, clean water, education, protection and emergency response saving more young lives than any other humanitarian organization in the world. While millions of children die every year of preventable causes like dehydration, upper respiratory infections and measles, UNICEF, with the support of partnering organizations and donors alike, has the global experience, resources and reach to give children the best hope of survival. For more information about UNICEF, please visit www.unicefusa.org.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:

Marissa Buckanoff, U.S. Fund for UNICEF, 212.922.2485

Richard Alleyne, U.S. Fund for UNICEF, 212.880.9177

Yahoo News has picked up the story, with a link to the picture. Also, if you are Yahoo member, click here to see the picture and recommend it!

To clarify what justclay mentioned earlier...from PixieGlitter at the CH:

QUOTE(Marilyn @ Jul 3 2008, 12:54 AM) *

One of the other boards I was on was discussing Clays trip to Africa. She has friends who take mission trips all the time. She brought up the fact that he would have had to have multiple shots, including experiencing some not so good side effects, and then would probably have to take medication when he gets back, also with many side effects.

When she got to his attire, this also got my heart :

He wears light color for the heat and long sleeves to protect from mosquito carrying malaria, very dangerous if you get bitten.

I never thought about this part of his trip. I knew he went to dangerous places where violence is the norm, but the thought of his risking infectious diseases makes me marvel even more at the risk he takes.

I've been visiting East Africa since I was three months old, so I know you have to get the medical 'works' before a trip there. Oral cholera vaccine (tastes absolutely foul), vaccine for yellow fever, typhoid, and tetanus, malaria pill every week (they used to only prevent malaria from killing you, but this time Raisa took some that prevent infection entirely). And yeah, you have to keep taking the malaria pills weekly for a month after you get home, though I've never noticed side effects. In passing, I had malaria several years ago and it's no picnic. On top of that you have to be careful about eating fresh produce (grown with local water that's usually unsanitary) and coming into contact with tap water. We used to brush our teeth with bottled water! And this is trivial by comparison, but there are also lots of vermin - cockroaches and mice and lizards, oh my! Clay's really a tough guy when it comes to things that matter.

Amazing man. I mean, really -- he's got allergies out the wazoo, and yet he's putting himself totally on the line here for these kids. I :::heart::: him.

Cotton, thanks for asking about the softball pic. Yep, that's my Carrie--this pic was 2 years ago and she'd just struck someone out with two outs and two on base. If she hadn't, just a base hit would've eliminated them from the tournament, but instead this STRIKE 3! put them into the championship! It was so hot and she'd already pitched two games before and was really a trooper. A parent was taking pics through the fence and caught this moment after the ump yelled 'Strike 3!' and everyone whooped and Carrie jumped straight up in the air..the parent caught it while she was off the ground. There's another great shot right after this showing the catcher running toward her for a hug. I absolutely LOVE this picture. The pure JOY on her face.

Love that pic of Mr. Ambassador, too. The pink shirt and white cotton pants do something very naughty to me and I love that, too. THe man himself is quite lovable, as well. :Thud:

Not working today. Gonna do nothing. Couchie! I called your cell and left a message to see if you want me to come by to "do lunch"! Call me back! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Hi everyone! *waves*

I just wanted to say thank you so much for playing along in the video tournament over at LBFCA. I'm so glad people are enjoying the fun and I am loving reading everyone's thoughts on the videos, and especially all the memories they're bringing back.

:)

I forgot - have fun on your roadtrip, cha cha! Looks like you & Mr. cha cha make a good team. :)

I hope we really get to hear him talk on the CNN special Sunday. And I really, really, really hope that one of these days he'll do an in-depth interview where he talks about his UNICEF & BAF experiences. *crosses fingers & toes*

With Anderson Cooper..... *prays*

Amazing man. I mean, really -- he's got allergies out the wazoo, and yet he's putting himself totally on the line here for these kids. I :::heart::: him.

Me too!! :wub:

Hi everyone! *waves*

I just wanted to say thank you so much for playing along in the video tournament over at LBFCA. I'm so glad people are enjoying the fun and I am loving reading everyone's thoughts on the videos, and especially all the memories they're bringing back.

Hey!! The pleasure is entirely ours!!

Hi everyone! *waves*

Danielle... WELCOME to FCA! I hope you post a bit! This game is totally fun and please give my thanks to all those who helped put this together and those making it work. I'm having a blast, even if I have a terrible time deciding in the 3rd couple. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Boy, what you have to do to go to Africa is amazing. That is one courageous man and one who knows what matters in this world!

Heads up...Clay will be on ET tonight to promote the CNN special on UNICEF...screencap at the CB...apparently done before his trip...he is still blond.

Also he was intro'd as father-to-be...should be a download available soon.

Kim

Here's the pretty picture:

324702792_vQkRc-L.jpg

Thanks Perma! Love the pink shirt!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

WAAAAHHHHH!!! No moustache! No goatee! At least in the smaller picture I could fantasize and pretend that it was a moustache and goatee.

Oh well. I can still pretend he's going commando under those white pants. :hubbahubba:

Wow, they are fast! An excuse to procrasinate a little long. Hee.

No. 4: Easy for me: Audition Clay. Are we sensing a pattern here yet? HAHA. I think TITN video Clay is too mean looking. I don't see the sexy. There is one little moment I love, when the makeup people are messing with him and his eyes are closed. But I'll take the geeky guy, no contest.

No. 5: Now I'm gong to contradict myself. Orange shirted, JBT, mike stand throwing Clay is hawt, y'all. MAP TITN was one of his greatest vocal performances of that era, without a doubt, and I love how he managed to get a little touchy moment in with one of the contestants as he was coming up the catwalk. Miss America contestants love them some Clay Aiken. He looked so confident and I loved the outfit, but BFM Clay is the man!

It's Bookwhore!! YAY. *waves madly*

No. 4: Easy for me: Audition Clay. Are we sensing a pattern here yet? HAHA. I think TITN video Clay is too mean looking. I don't see the sexy. There is one little moment I love, when the makeup people are messing with him and his eyes are closed. But I'll take the geeky guy, no contest.

No. 5: Now I'm gong to contradict myself. Orange shirted, JBT, mike stand throwing Clay is hawt, y'all. MAP TITN was one of his greatest vocal performances of that era, without a doubt, and I love how he managed to get a little touchy moment in with one of the contestants as he was coming up the catwalk. Miss America contestants love them some Clay Aiken. He looked so confident and I loved the outfit, but BFM Clay is the man!

Awww...thanks! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

This one was hard for me. Audition Clay is "early Clay" (see previous posts about that), but it's also what GAVE me Clay. I like portions of the TITN video, but agree with jmh that he looks kinda angry, and I'm one that felt that Clay wasn't comfortable with this video. Therefore...Audition Clay wins.

Totally agree on all accounts. I'd forgotten how much I love the vocals of Clay's MAP TITN performance...but I loved that orange shirt so much more. God, he was lookin' good that night!

YAY!!!

Hello. Second day of work in the books! My feet HUUUURT! It's still a beautiful place to work and I'm ever so grateful I got the job, but it's going to take some getting used to standing out in 96 degree heat watering plants for 2 hours. Wanted to turn the hose around on myself!!!

Great picture........wow, I never thought about shots and immunizations, etc. I wonder if any that are required are ones that he's had to take to go to other countries.....or even how long they are effective!

I taped SYTYCD last night so and going to take a load off these poor feets and rest.

Back later....