relatives

playbiller

Lucky, sorry about the news. Let us know how it goes with your mom. Sucky timing. Well it sucks all around. Guess there is no good time.

Cancer runs in family. Of my father's siblings, I've lost 2 aunts. One at the age of 50. One at the age of 57. I grew up around them and I miss them both so much. Their mother, my grandmother, died of cancer. And my youngest uncle was diagnosed last year. He hasn't told us yet.. just heard it through the grapevine.

Yep, it seems that way. My mom and her two siblings all have had some type of cancer. Since my brother and I are not blood related (adopted) it doesn't affect us but at this point, I think most families have it.

My SIL called me last night and we were able to chat. She told my brother she was going to the market for food. They got a couple of different opinions but all the doctors agreed that 4 rounds of chemo followed by surgery is the best option. He was given the 80% success figure. So our hope now is that he will wait until after the first round of chemo to call Mom, and that way she will be back from her trip. And, of course, that he doesn't lose his will to fight half way through the chemo. I know it can be brutal.

Anyways, I appreciate all the support. Yesterday was tough but I'm in a better place today. :)

Thanks, heinz. They are almost through the first round of chemo already. I haven't heard anything in a couple of days, so hopefully it's going ok. My SIL has been emailing me from the hospital, where she is staying throughout the treatments.

So my niece Alexandriawho is 8 and her very best older girl best friend Maylana who is 11 -- decided to throw a block party. My sister kept telling me about this block party but I'm like WTH? I asked who planned this thing. And she told me it was Alexandria and her friend Maylana since they were the ones walking around with clip boards. I asked who was paying for it... of course the parents LOL.

I told her to read the clip board to me: Lord this thing was organized. They had a list of the kids that were coming. All lived on their block. They had who was bringing what. They had like charts and graphs of the various locations. The food was set up in my sister's yard. One house was the "bathroom" house. They had the agenda wrote down like snacks, dance, dance off, EAT, games, etc. They even decorated with balloons and streamers. They had a boom box.

The party was a complete success. They were dancing in the streets. They had pizza, fried chicken, nachos, etc etc.

Now this is the second time they've gotten creative.. Last month they picked lemons from maylana's tree..and went around the block selling them heee. Forget dancing..we're sending this girl to Stanford business school. My sister took pictures... I can't wait to see them.

So my niece Alexandriawho is 8 and her very best older girl best friend Maylana who is 11 -- decided to throw a block party. My sister kept telling me about this block party but I'm like WTH? I asked who planned this thing. And she told me it was Alexandria and her friend Maylana since they were the ones walking around with clip boards. I asked who was paying for it... of course the parents LOL.

Your sister sounds like a great mom and a very good example for her daughter. I like that she and the neighborhood encouraged rather than discouraged the kids.

Wow, those are some organized kids! Nice to see a neighbourhood effort in this day and age.

So it's been a year almost to the day since I posted in this thread, and not much has changed. My mom was never told about my brother's cancer. Apparently he is cancer free at the moment (according to SIL) and he says he is coming for a visit this month. Should be interesting.

couchie, now that I've met you niece -- her organizing that party makes even MORE sense to me! She's a smart cookie! Your sister is a very good mom to those kids...

luckiest, glad to hear your brother is better. Hope things work out with the visit.