#39: "The little man is healthy, happy, and as loud as his daddy"

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• New car...See Clay in Spamalot...New car...See Clay in Spamalot..
    • Clay makes spending money on him so enjoyably easy ... and irresistible.
    • I am still here and I still adore this man and have no idea why.
    • Clickables and lickables!!!!!!!!! Life is good again.
    • He's this wonderful mystery. With a great package.
    • WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
    • With Clay Aiken we've already won the Lotto!
    • Never boring. Always expensive. And worth every cent!
    • He simply makes me smile when I see him.
    • Its not that I don't have a life, its just that these Clay things are so much damn fun!

The dryer really shortens the life of your clothes... fine for jeans and Tshirts etc but I'd never put my good clothes in the dryer. I also never put underwear in the dryer, the heat just ruins the elastic etc. I feel that new houses should now be built to include a large indoor laundry, with plenty of room for lines. Some homes in cold countries have that, and the whole laundry room is heated when it is freezing outside. So the clothes dry in that heated (VERY heated) laundry room.

For me, hanging out the laundry is not the problem, it's getting it OFF the line that I hate. So an indoor laundry, well, you wouldn't have to fret about getting it all in before dark.!!! Actually, I put most of my laundry on hangers, and then hang them on the clothesline that way. Makes it easier to bring in.

(((((iseeme))))) so sorry to hear about your mil...

I do hang up some things on hangers and I have one of those little drying stands so I can "line dry" some stuff but I do it all indoors... no outdoor lines at our house and I've been too lazy to even give it more than a passing thought... I didn't grow up with the habit so I think that has something to do with it... and there's only one neighbor that I know of who does hang things outside... I agree with claytonic - putting it up wouldn't be so bad, but remembering to take it down... I like throwing a load of towels, socks, etc. in and just going to bed... it will be there when I get to it next! :cryingwlaughter:

Forgot, I just got back from our local farmer's market - it's set up at the lakefront every Saturday a.m. - I either had something else going on, it was raining or I just forgot, but finally made my way down there today... wow, it was nice... quite a few farmers out with some good looking stuff - much better than what I've been seeing in the store lately - and the prices were fair... also several local coffee houses, some bakeries, honey/jelly/soup people, a couple of local restaurants making breakfast (pancakes, paninis, etc.) and one with tamales! - it was like a fair! Lots of dogs and a couple of cute older women with a "dog watering" station - lots of dog bowls and water for our four legged friends... a really nice crowd of people and a constant flow in and out...

Well, I just got back from the cat clinic - long overdue visit for shots. Unfortunately, the one cat seems to have something going on with his front paw (vet suspects a bite or sting of some kind) so he has to go back in a couple of weeks for the darned shots anyways. Other cat has been put on a diet. Hee, that wasn't unexpected! He's a chubber!

The thought of hanging clothes up is rather horrifying to me. I do laundry for myself, my hubby and my two daughters. It already takes a lot of time, and would take a lot more if I hung everything up! I do hang a few delicate things inside, but other than that, everything goes in the dryer.

Hee, you are me. But way back when, in another life, when the kids were little and we lived in a more rural area, I used to hang everything out on the line in the summertime. Of course, I was a stay-at-home mom then, and life wasn't nearly so busy and hectic as it is now.

ldyj, if you need any help with that sporking, you just let me know, mkay? Cuz I'm about ready to give up on the CITH audio project at this point, no one seems interested in completing it. :( So I've been working on a CITH video project instead. :xmas07a:

{{{Iseeme}}}, sorry to hear about your MIL.

KAndre & Scarlett, glad you arrived safely! crimsonice & disneykid arrived home last night from England & Scotland, bearing all sorts of interesting things.....chocolate bagpipes, Beatle paraphanalia, Scottish shortbread, and hundreds of pictures, wheeee!

Iseeme, so sorry to hear about your mil.

I grew up on a farm and we always hung clothes outside to dry - my mom didn't have a dryer in the house for years. I remember many times having to hurry to get everything inside after they were dry and before it rained.

And also having to rewash stuff because of bird poop.

What year did 4 weddings and a funeral come out. I've always wanted to see it..and finally did this morning and I freaking hate it. That was true love... BLECH! I'm batting 0 for 2 on movies this morning.

Maybe I should be listening to my CITH song...eeek. Don't lose faith in us Lucky.

K'andre and Scarlett, sounds like you are having a terrific time...wondering what "exhibitionistic tendancies" is all about...can't wait to find out.

I love Clay interviews. Really when you think about how lucky we are with our choice of boyfriend. Yeah, he sings great, but he is so much more. Even his interviews are immensely entertaining. In addition to the ones mentioned (and maybe I missed this) I loved his latest one with Good Day LA. He seemed to absolutely charm them and bring out the best in them as well. I love the interchange when Jillian (?) had her work time duration incorrect and Steve teased her about it and you can hear Clay teasing her off camera suggesting that she cuts out at 9 AM (I think the show goes to 10). Really one of my favorite TV interviews. Just might have to go see that one again.

I did enjoy his hosting gig on Regis and Kelly after the opening bit- he seemed to be trying too hard and Kelly was just plain irritating but he settled in beautifully. You know, I didn't even notice that he put his hand over her mouth! Not sure how I missed it because when Clay is on tv I suspend all duties (including bathroom trips, phone call answering, plaintive pleas from children and hubby) in case I miss a moment of fun. I think he looked great dancing, was it with Cheryl? I too can not bring myself to watch it due to Ripa's remarks.

A discussion at CV prompted me to post the following and I would like to hear others' views on this:

This got me thinking about Clay's recorded music for ATDW and OMWH. I don't get sense of fun or playfulness in any of the songs, something we get in spades when we see him live. Would love to hear others impressions of this.

I wonder if this will change now that Clay has a new love in his life; I'm speaking of Parker here. I dug up that TV Guide (deep in my Clay box) from July 24, 2005, where the following paragraph appears:

Aiken has had to think a lot about love, lately, in choosing new songs for his CD. One songwriter he's reposnding to is Steven Curtis Chapman, a Christian artist who pens love songs to his wife and children. "I don't know that I'm there yet." Aiken says. "I hope I'm in a position some day to love somebody so much that I can write [a love song] or feel that passionate about something. I'm not emotionally barren, but I'm not so adamantly mad about somebody that I have anything to say."

Will the feelings that are awakened with having a child have an impact on the music that speaks to him whether he chooses it or pens it himself? Again, would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

I must credit duckyvee for causing me to wonder about the tone of clay's recordings now that he has Parker. We both agreed that the term "melancholy" sort of fit ATDW. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing

K'andre and Scarlett, sounds like you are having a terrific time...wondering what "exhibitionistic tendancies" is all about...can't wait to find out.

Well....

since Scarlett has a penchant for changing in open convertibles and changing infront of open windows. I assume the hotel has floor to ceiling windows. Mind, you, Scarlett says thee are not herchoices of changing rooms, but just how things work out.

You can be playful in a room with people who 's response can be guaged and the schtik changed as needed. On a CD, you are sending music out to invisible people, you need to take it seriously.

"playfulness" might be the wrong word. It is a lightness in spirit and energy that I am talking about. I am listening to to Halycon Days from Bruce Hornsby right now. I hear it there. I am a big fan of Jack Johnson. I hear the quality I am talking about in much of his music too. I guess I am talking about a fun, happy song.

"well, now" in about as close to playful as Clay gets, imo.

When Clay talked about OMWH before it was released he said it was a reflection of the last 5 years of his life; while there may have been some lighthearted times over the last 5 years; the majority of it has been difficult...the battles with RCA, the tabloid crap; his issues that resulted in him taking paxil, and who knows what else...we are not privy to all the goings on in his life. Now we know that there was also the attempt at conceiving a child which could have taken a couple of years.

I think this was a CD that Clay needed to do for himself; I think it was cathartic for him...sort ridding himself of all his old burdens and disappointments before a new beginning, that new beginning being Parker.

I think the next CD we see will be totally different and much more light-hearted to reflect his new life; new direction in his career and maybe his own personal happiness that must be through the roof now.

He really has come through the fire as the song says.

Kim

When Clay talked about OMWH before it was released he said it was a reflection of the last 5 years of his life; while there may have been some lighthearted times over the last 5 years; the majority of it has been difficult...

Uhhhh....I don't think we really know that. I tend to think that Clay is a lighthearted person, in general. It's just easier to express other emotions in song. And I don't think that OMWH is sooooo very loaded with angst. It's more about hope and growth. But that's JMO, of course.

Yesterday I was at work and my patient was a 9 month old little boy who was on a ventilator and has been since birth. He was admitted the night before so he is on one at home all the time. When I was taken care of him I was talking to his Mom. She told me he was born through IVF. This baby was born after their eight attempt at IVF. She started each pregnancy and within weeks lost the babies. This time they inplanted three eggs and were hoping for triplet, but only one took. She delivered this baby at 27 weeks, and he has had lung problems ever since. They are not young parents they have a set of twins that are 22 years old. You can just see that, with all the health problems this little guy has, that he was very much wanted and loved. It just made me think that not all IVF take the first time, and just maybe this pregnany of Jaymes truely was a miracle, and by the way Clay wrote Parker was really wanted and will be loved.

When Clay talked about OMWH before it was released he said it was a reflection of the last 5 years of his life; while there may have been some lighthearted times over the last 5 years; the majority of it has been difficult...

Uhhhh....I don't think we really know that. I tend to think that Clay is a lighthearted person, in general. It's just easier to express other emotions in song. And I don't think that OMWH is sooooo very loaded with angst. It's more about hope and growth. But that's JMO, of course.

I agree that Clay is a light-hearted person and enjoys having a good time and goofing around...but I do think he had some pretty tough times in the last 5 years.

I actually have never thought of OMWH as a depressing CD or the songs as depressing; hope and growth is a good way to put it.

Kim

I agree that Clay is a light-hearted person and enjoys having a good time and goofing around...but I do think he had some pretty tough times in the last 5 years.

Obviously there were some low moments...but I think they were probably the exception and not the majority of the last five years which is what you originally said.

---

Some places it's not even legal to have a clothesline anymore. Aesthetics, you know.

Catching up here....Iseeme, my condolences to you and your family for your MIL as well. She sounded like a great old gal. So glad she didn't have to lose her home to the fire. At least she got to spend her last days with everything that was familiar to her.

Another clothesline user here, especially in the summer. We live on a farm as well, and everyone hangs their laundry out. This year has been wet, however, and the few days that I've been home and it's been sunny, our local farmer has decided to fertilize. Not the exactly the outdoor freshness you want in your clothes and bedding!

I think Parker is indeed a miracle baby and have no doubt that he was very much wanted and will be loved. I've never even seen him, and I love him!

Clay stated that OMWH was about life and what you go through in your twenties. He said the songs weren't necessarily his experiences, but more what most people have gone through and can relate to. I think there's a real nice mix there, although they are nearly all introspective, they are mostly hopeful, in my opinion.

{{{{Iseemee and family}}}}} How wonderful that she wasn't alone. I have a friend that is almost 85 and dying alone is her biggest fear.

claytonic... I hung clothes until my 20's. I love how clothes smell when they are dried in the sunshine. Thanks for the tips. There were several of interest to me. The dryer one I will pass on to my kids as I no longer own a dryer, since I live in a complex with a laundry room.

Jamar... I, also, think Clay is a naturally optimistic person, even tho that has been tried tremendously since Idol. He has so much fun on tour and in Spamalot. It must be harder to find happy songs maybe, or they just didn't fit the albums. I do think there is a lot of hope in many of his song and I remember when he signed his autographs, Love, Happiness, and HOPE. I loved that!

KAndre and Scarlett... glad you made it and are having fun!

gbm... any baby is a miracle, but Parker more than most. They must be watching his every move. I'll bet, unless they have iron will power, that baby is being held a LOT! Makes me schmoopie to thing about it.

ldyj, luckiest... I am sorry, but I will not have access to my computer where half of my song for the CITH tour is downloaded for 5 weeks. The computer I have for the next 3 weeks is not mine and is old and has no space hardly and I don't feel right downloading stuff on it anyway. Then I'm on vacation for the next 2 weeks. Sorry! I'm bad! If you want to take it over, go ahead. Otherwise, I'll finish when I get back to my computer... honest!!!

Everyone have a great idea!

Kim

I only do that if there's a paycheck attached. How much ya gonna pay me?

I guess I have a sort of different perception of Clay. I think he's outwardly playful, but I think that's only a facade. For some reason I think that down inside he's a melancholy sort of person, given to cloudy moods, lots of introspection and angst.

Disclaimer: My opinion is based on nothing that has ever been said by Clay or any of his acquaintences. I know nothing, this is an opinion. I reserve the right to change my mind in 20 minutes if I want to.

I have always thought Clay would be devilish, demanding, quick-witted, adventurous, and kinda sarcastic. And no-nonsense when it is time to work.

This is based entirely on standing in front of him while he signed LTS, pranks reported by Angela and Quiana, his sense of fun in concerts, and pictures of him in various amusement parks. And only someone with a quirky sense of humour would walk around with a goat!

{{{Iseeme and family}}} I'm very sorry to hear about your MIL. :thbighug-1:

Hi all! It's 3:30 am here and my time hasn't turned yet so I'm wide awake (actually, no it HAS turned because I wake up at 3:30 am at home too)...

I'm sitting by the window sill of our room (jmh, it's the courtyard). When we checked in they said that they upgraded us to a harborview room and we thought cool! When we got upstairs though, our jaws dropped! We have a room at the top floor (only 8 rooms on the floor) with a magnificent view of the harbor --- and NO DRAPES or CURTAINS!!! ... there's something about the bathroom shower too but I'll let KAndre tell you about that...

It's way way above ground, though, so I think only the seagulls can peek in on us. right now, I'm sitting at the window sill gazing at the twinkling lights in the harbor -- they're so pretty -- and missing you all. I'm going to try to take a picture in a little bit -- I wish I still had the concert settings I got from tasapio because I brought the S3 from the LA cd signing and it's ideal for this because the flash is broken (don't know when that happened but I guess it's not easy to notice that the flash doesn't work at a Clay Aiken concert; could have happened a year ago), but I forgot what values to use. Kareneh, if you're online, is it shutter priority? And what speed should I use?

Oh, I also line-dried everything before I moved to the US. I still think the sunlight and wind makes everything smell and look better.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I had a great idea!!! ---- oops ---- I can't remember what it was.......... :)

{{{{{iseeme and family}}}}} it sounds like your MIL lived a long full life and she will be missed. :hugs-1:

Favorite interview?? Does anybody remember the one in Charlotte where he said something about Krispy Kremes donuts on his butt?

That's what prompted me to make him a pair of basketball shorts with pictures of KK's on the back!

SL-Clayshorts.jpg

:013085001176249046: :Iluvclaysbutt:

CONGRATS to K & S for making it to HK! Need more details! Like sending a pic of the hotel!

I am totally vegging today after a busy week!! Still in my pj's!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Couchie - where are you coming up with these movie choices! Go see Mamma Mia!! I heard a singalong version is coming out next week!

I forgot about line drying. I grew up on a farm and had to hang clothes outside as one of my chores. The worst part was carrying them out to the clothesline which was, I swear, half a block away! And then when they were dry they felt like cardboard! No wonder we used to have to iron everything. I LOVE THE CLOTHES DRYER!! The only things I don't put in are my underwire bras. I also use the gentle settings, both on the washer and the dryer on pretty much everything except sheets and towels.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Good questions. This is one of those I can see all sides kinda thing cuz we can only guess at a lot of things. I always thought Clay was the "don't let them see you sweat" kinda person. So IMO that makes it hard to know. But yeah the type of songs he sings are introspective. I like that word to describe OMWH. I also find it hopeful but there's a lot of serious themes no matter the tempo.

Sychronized group swimming? good lord.

Couchie - where are you coming up with these movie choices! Go see Mamma Mia!! I heard a singalong version is coming out next week!

well it was the "best" choices from Starz and Encore this morning. Don't think Mamma Mia is my type of thing. I'm not a musicals type of person.

But next week.... HEROS season 2 is out on DVD..I think I wlll be very distracted.. I missed the whole season.

Everyone have a great idea!

Kim

I only do that if there's a paycheck attached. How much ya gonna pay me?

I guess I have a sort of different perception of Clay. I think he's outwardly playful, but I think that's only a facade. For some reason I think that down inside he's a melancholy sort of person, given to cloudy moods, lots of introspection and angst.

Disclaimer: My opinion is based on nothing that has ever been said by Clay or any of his acquaintences. I know nothing, this is an opinion. I reserve the right to change my mind in 20 minutes if I want to.

You are the absolute queen of disclaimers!!! :hysterical:

{{{Iseeme and family}}} I'm very sorry to hear about your MIL. :thbighug-1:

Hi all! It's 3:30 am here and my time hasn't turned yet so I'm wide awake (actually, no it HAS turned because I wake up at 3:30 am at home too)...

I'm sitting by the window sill of our room (jmh, it's the courtyard). When we checked in they said that they upgraded us to a harborview room and we thought cool! When we got upstairs though, our jaws dropped! We have a room at the top floor (only 8 rooms on the floor) with a magnificent view of the harbor --- and NO DRAPES or CURTAINS!!! ... there's something about the bathroom shower too but I'll let KAndre tell you about that...

It's way way above ground, though, so I think only the seagulls can peek in on us. right now, I'm sitting at the window sill gazing at the twinkling lights in the harbor -- they're so pretty -- and missing you all.

OMG--it would be hard to get me out of my room if I had a view of the harbor from my window!! Except it's Hong Kong!! So I'd have to go stare at the harbor from other locations. :lilredani:

Tries to figure out which way to point from here, then **waves to Scarlett and KAndre**.

For concerts, with the S3 I was using the full Manual Setting "M" and then opening up the aperture to its widest setting (lowest number it will click down to given the focal length (amount of zoom)) you're using. You'll notice that the longer the zoom is extended you get less range of aperture. Anyway, put the aperture on the lowest number and then since there is no spotlight, which made all the difference in taking pictures in low light, use the slowest shutter speed you can and still get good focus. For concerts that shutter speed was anywhere between 1/60 and 1/125 depending on the lighting. I would think it would need to be in the 1/10 to 1/20 range to get shots out the window in the dark but you can adjust it when you see how they look at different settings. If you want nice bright lights then you should expose for a full 1 or 2 seconds....As a suggestion, I'd set the camera on a table or on something stable. It's hard to avoid camera shake at really low shutter speeds and that will help. Also, keep the lens fairly close to the glass and shoot at an angle. Bumping the ISO up to 400 will give you more latitude with the shutter speed but you'll get better shots if you can keep the ISO at 200.

There are some samples of shots taken from Hong Kong hotel rooms here. Sadly, none of them mine, but they are worth a look through....as you open each picture you will see down on the right side of the page there is a link to "more properites" about that particular shot. All of the exposure settings and details are there.

And that's all I really know about that. :D

Sound like an amazing place to be tonight.

I wonder how late I am with this.