#39: "The little man is healthy, happy, and as loud as his daddy"

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• New car...See Clay in Spamalot...New car...See Clay in Spamalot..
    • Clay makes spending money on him so enjoyably easy ... and irresistible.
    • I am still here and I still adore this man and have no idea why.
    • Clickables and lickables!!!!!!!!! Life is good again.
    • He's this wonderful mystery. With a great package.
    • WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
    • With Clay Aiken we've already won the Lotto!
    • Never boring. Always expensive. And worth every cent!
    • He simply makes me smile when I see him.
    • Its not that I don't have a life, its just that these Clay things are so much damn fun!

a new discount coupon good from today until Sept 18th

Hoo boy! They're sure counting on Clay to pull them out of the hole. I know that Broadway and New York around the holidays get very busy....certainly an opportunity for NJUs to see Sir Robin at his finest!!! David Hyde who????

Just got the information on the services for my mil.......1:00 on Friday in Palo Alto.............gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Labor Day traffic in the Bay Area is the epitome of AWFUL I could probably drive to LA in the time it's going to take me to get home!

Since this place seems half Canadian now, does that mean we have to discuss Canadian politics as little as US politics?

Hee, I sure hope so. Hatessss politics, no matter what country! :cryingwlaughter:

Me too, sorry for you political types. However, if Clay ever decided to run for office, I might be a little interested.

Iseeme, could you not stay overnight with someone in the Bay area until the next day, rather than fighting that traffic?

CM - I have to work on Saturday and I have 4 people arriving during that day to spend the long weekend (something that has been planned since Christmas, actually) If I stayed over I'd have to leave the Bay Area about 05:30 to get to work on time and I can't afford to take the day off....not what I want to do. We're all just thinking it was incredibly insensitive of my bil to plan the services on Friday when most of the people who will be attending are driving from pretty far away. But - as he said - it "was more convenient!" I guess for him since he lives 20 minutes from the cemetery! But she was a grand old lady who deserves a nice send-off and not alot of bitching so we're all just gritting our teeth and preparing for many hours on a bumper-to-bumper highway to get there and get home!

On a happier note - I rewatched the uTube's of Clay's house tour. I had never seen the second one. Thank you! Had to laugh - from what we've heard about Clay's "messiness" it didn't look like he really lived there! :lmaosmiley-1: Wonder if the AFrica room is now a nursery! I love the style of the house and the front of it is beautiful!!!

At 4 in the morning, bringing y'all up to date seems like a good idea.

I forgot to mention, the desk clerk at the Courtyard was very careful to ask, "One bed or two?" in an extremely tactful way. We giggled over that too.

Upon leaving (as Scarlett stole appropriated the menu so she could circle the stuff she wanted and show it subsequent eateries), I managed to talk her out of acquiring some 10 lb mooncake that I didn't wanna pack around and I knew she would get tired of packing around in about 10 minutes. Especially since there are approximately 70 bakeries in HK selling frickin' mooncakes. On the way back to the hotel. So we climb abroad the bus Frommer's tells us to and hits up a native for confirmation. We are assured that we are on the rightbus and the native says she will tell us where to get off. So of course Scarlett falls asleep. And it's not like I actually listened to where Scarlett said we were going - I just knew it involved shopping. I make Scarlett wake up as I notice that HK is FULL of purple signs pointing to stuff. Scarlett absorbs this information and pretends like she's going to pay attention. Uh huh. So our native guide tells us to get off here and go up and down, left and right,and around a couple of corners. Notthat we actually listened to her. Listening isn't exactly either of our strong points. So we wandered a street with lots of flowers because apparently it's the flower market and Scarlett realizes it would be difficukt to get the cheap orchids home. Even I could tell these were nice nonplastic orchids. Scarlett tells me we headed for the Bird Market, which I am sure you not be surprised sells birds. They had a lot of African Gray and cockatiels and some black birds that I think were saying rude things in Cantonese. There were also a lots of regular old brown random birds. We soon became bored with the Bird as we were not in the market for a random brown bird and left. We decided to skip the Jade Market and go to Ladies then the Night Market and the a temple so we could our fortune told. We will continue to hit temples until we get the fortunes we want. We believe in comparison shopping. The Ladies' Market? OH MY FRICKIN' GAWD! Canal Street ain't got SHIT on this. And frankly I couldn't get my calf into the dresses - one shop tried to interest me in a muumuu. I sneered - I'm going to remain delusional about my size, thankyouverramuch. But the prices were GREAT! One vendor had sort of Mr Microphone thingie and was selling hair thingies and she was WORKING a head with a hair piece on it and made it look easier so of course Scarlett bought four and I bought one and the crowd was buying lots and Scarlett still tried her bargaining style,which I totally admire but can't do - she just stand and argues. Me, the walking away for a 50% discount is my metier. But this vendor was selling too many to cut her price. And the only two things that annoyed me were every-fuckin-body calling me missy - I don't expect to be called "missy" by girls 30 years younger than me; and everyone took one look at me and immediately began waving the same bootleg faux designer catalog pages at me. I personally have NEVER found stuff like Coach or Louis Vuitton likeable - in fact I think 99% of it is incredibly ugly, horrendously overpriced and if someone gave a real $5,000, hell,a $500 purse, it would be on eBay within minute and I drag my happy ass over to Target and get an equally functional handbag for 20 bucks.

Look, white space!

By the we had started to get footsore and tired and thirsty - it was about 7 - and Scarlett wanted to stop at the first place with chair - which appeared to be some sort of cave for smoking retired triad members - I couldn't even see the back of it. I declared there had to be at some some english somewhere in the place. After awhile, I spot someplace bright and shiny without old mafioso. It was some kind of fruit salad restaurant, if I'm lyin', I'm dyin'. And all the fruit salads and drinks and jellies mango in them. It was Super Mango Madness! It said so on the wall. Scarlett of course had the lychee, because we couldn't exactly remember what a pomelo was (I think it's a grapefruity thing). I had the Mango Mango, with Mango chunks and mango jelly. I have no earthly idea why the waitress couldn't figure out what I ordered - it's not like I asked for sugar or something. After another appearance by a manager, I got my order. Which was very mangoey. Thus fortified, on we marched to the temple. Which was closed. Since it was about 9 pm on our first day in HK, we decided to head back to the hotel. We decide to take the subway back to central and then a cab to the hotel. We exit the subway and hail a cab. I don't know why I thought Scarlett would actually remember the address of the hotel - just because she made the reservations and I'm the only one who actually printed out the confirmation. Nor did she see fit to bring the little card key holder that has the hotel's name and address on it - though it's not like I remembered it either. And it turns out that many, many cab drivers had no idea what we were talking about. We finally found one that spoke English AND knew where the Courtyard was. Scarlett was asleep by the time we hit the room, which was about 11. My Mango Mango Mango Mango had worn off by then so I ordered room service, and they delivered it within 20 minutes! And the french fries were hot, which woke up Scarlett to consume some. I then went to bed. Of course Scarlett then got up at 3 a.m.

Saturday: we get rained on, but it's still pretty

Look, white space!

BWAHAHA!

I'm loving the China/HK recaps.

I stayed at a hotel in HK called the Courtyard in 1981!!!

Do you suppose it's the same one?????

Jesus. Small world.

Not been a good day at the Aikim's...

My DD #3 took the puppy out for a walk and on the way back, the neighbor's dog was out (said neighbor never leashes the dog) and it ran across the street at our dog, growling, scaring the poor puppy almost to death. No harm done, but If I had been home, I would have given the neighbor a piece of my mind, still might.

DD#2 opened the window in the bedroom which we had asked her not to until we can get the hole fixed in it...somehow the cat managed to squeeze through the hole and get outside. They did not notice until they heard a noise by the front door and saw the cat hanging off the screen by her two front paws. Apparently being outside was not all it was cracked up to be.

Had the repair man out today to look at my fridge which is not freezing properly...we have only had the fridge 8 months and I am still paying on it. Apparently this repair man didn't have a clue.

Hubby said he hooked the fridge up to his laptop to run a diagnostic and could not find anything wrong...so how come my ice cream is soup? Replaced the compressor motor and told us to wait 24 hours to see if the temperature stablizes. In the meantime I have a roast and about 6 pounds of chicken breasts in the freezer (there was a sale) that I may have to cook if this doesn't get resolved. He also turned the temp in the fridge and freezer down. Don't understand that at all.

Like I said, good think I was at work today; it would not have been pretty.

Loving your travel log K'andre; hope we hear from Scarlett ssoon!

Kim

Not been a good day at the Aikim's...

<snip>

Loving your travel log K'andre; hope we hear from Scarlett ssoon!

Oh, I came in just in time! Hugs on your series of unfortunate events! {{{aikim}}}

Popping in to say a quick hi to everyone. They didn't have internet access in the hospital but swung by my cousin's house for a quick change and shower & I got my nephew off his computer just long enough to get caught up. The good news is my aunt is doing much better now that they've fitted her with a gastric feeding tube. She recognized me the minute I walked into her room while I was surprised to find her playing cards (a version of Hearts called "Carga Burro", some old Spanish game) with my cousin. She's alert and responds very well although she still has some edema and fluid in her lungs. She will be undergoing an ultrasound today but if all goes well she may come home from the hospital tomorrow.

Time difference? Manila and Hongkong are exactly 12 hours ahead of EDT -- so just switch am/pm from Eastern. It's 20 after 8am August 26 right now in Manila, and I think it's 8:20 pm on the night of August 25 in NY/Toronto. My cousins have the TV on Denver (we're very political here) so I'll get to watch some of that before I head out.

Can't write very much today so my rebuttal recap will have to wait... *rubs hands in anticipation*

Glad to see you made it to Guangzhou, KAndre. So... what's the name of the Macau hotel where we're going to meet on Thursday night? /jk :cryingwlaughter:

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to everyone! Will be posting more from Macau and Hongkong.

Glad to hear your aunt is doing better, Scarlett! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

(whew, I didn't kill the thread after all!)

Kim

Sorry about the crappy day, aikim. Would a pretty picture help you feel just a leetle bit better? :lilredani:

gmasmile1.jpg

kalamazoo12_snix.jpg

clayleno2.jpg

jbt_smile6.jpg

claylonghairgrin_smile3.jpg

:hello:Scarlett! Glad to hear you made it to Manila safely and that your aunt is doing so well. :thbighug-1:

Instead of "The dog ate my homework.", I may have to end up telling one of my prof's that "The cat wouldn't let me do my homework because she doesn't like the voice of the chick who reads the audio files." Honestly - I'm sitting here listening and I keep hearing what sounds like growling, which I thought was the nasty little dog next door. And I'm thinking, man, is he sitting right at the edge of the balcony growling in this direction?? Then Gidget jumps up on the chair next to me and proceeds to put her front paws up on the computer desk and hiss at the speakers! :hysterical: I paused the audio for a few seconds and she sat down, but as soon as I started it up again, she started growling again! :hysterical:

Thanks so much annabear!

Funny about the cat, but it kind of makes sense...I notice there are some people whose voices I find grating so I imagine it would be the same with animals and cats have pretty sensitive ears.

Kim

I love Survivor too! The glimpses of different countries really intrigue me, and it's very suspenseful, which catches my interest. I seem to miss a lot of it for whatever reason, but those I do catch I enjoy.

I love Survivor too, but the reason you mention is the reason why I love TAR!! Love TAR. I’m ashamed to admit that I’m watching (and enjoying in a sick, sick way) Big Brother. Hey, there’s nothing else on!!

Heh – my 70 year old mother volunteers for the Dem party in Ohio and is currently making calls for Obama. I spend as much time (or more) on political sites as I do here and she’s putting me to shame. I need to get off my ass.

Thanks so much annabear!

Funny about the cat, but it kind of makes sense...I notice there are some people whose voices I find grating so I imagine it would be the same with animals and cats have pretty sensitive ears.

Kim

Yup, my DIL is a country music fan and has a pretty decent voice, but her cat couldn't stand when she sang...Reba (the cat), would literally attack her. To us non-country fans it was perfectly understandable because we often felt like doing the same, but that cat was really a critic and they eventually had to give her away....afterall, the kids are growing up to be country fans too! :cryingwlaughter:

However, with Grandma, they listen to, and appreciate, Clay! :whistling-1:

I love Survivor too! The glimpses of different countries really intrigue me, and it's very suspenseful, which catches my interest. I seem to miss a lot of it for whatever reason, but those I do catch I enjoy.

I love Survivor too, but the reason you mention is the reason why I love TAR!! Love TAR. I’m ashamed to admit that I’m watching (and enjoying in a sick, sick way) Big Brother. Hey, there’s nothing else on!!

I was just thinking the same thing!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Can't wait til both of them start up again!

(I am a sucker for reality shows, but not all of them!! :D)

Thanks Annabear for keeping our board decorated so nicely. I love his smile.

KAndre, girl, you are cracking me up. I feel you on the coach purses. And I have relatives that will brag to me about spending all that money for a purse. They're trying to impress the wrong person and believe me that's why they buy them. It cracks me up that you always need management to get your order. And I'm shocked Shocked I tell you that Clay's butt doesn't get you a bit more in China. heee.

I also can't wait for TAR...and we get two this season..whoopie.

So we got our work email back today... lost all mail since Feb 2008. LOL..Oh well at least I don't have to "clean out my email box" before I leave.

Scarlett...nice to hear from you too. Glad things were going well for you aunt.

Sorry about the bad day AIkim....

Thanks for the recaps of your adventures, K'andre and Scarlett. I do so admire your cool, I would be freaking out inside if I didn't know the name of my hotel or where it was or where I was.

I live in a small community where I know of no Clay fans and who misses having other fans to talk to directly. I am wondering do any of you here live in the Lower Mainland and might be interested in getting together for lunch or dinner sometime to just have a good time sharing fandom. I can travel to anywhere in the Lower Mainland.

It is going to be a long time until I am once again somewhere where there are a number of fans together since I just cannot justify the time and expense of flying to New York for Spamalot. If it were the same time a last year, I would...just bad timing for me.

Any way if anyone is interested please PM me.

annabear Thanks for the pretty pictures.

Annabear, very nice pics of "Big Daddy"! I commend you for being able to combine the board and online courses without missing a conversation or a percentage point on test results.

Scarlett, it is wonderful to read that your aunt is doing so well that she is coming home *makes me think there is a mystical connection between her homecoming and your arrival*.

It must be a day for experimenting; I made fresh pasta today; rolled it out; stuffed it with a mixture of spinach and ricotta cheese; rolled it up...boiled for twenty minutes...cooled than sliced and put it a pan with bechamel sauce and parmesan cheese to bake. Kind of time consuming but I hope it is worth it...should be done in a bit.

aikim, despite how your day has gone today, I wanted to say how inspirational I found your culinary recap from upthread. Almost makes me want to dig out a cookbook *almost*

As for expensive purses, I generally agree that they are an indulgence, except that I am a Coach groupie, but of the "classics", not the newer fabric stuff. I love the leather styles from the 1990s and fortunately bought a lot back then and am blissfully happy in my leather Coach bag time warp. The stuff wears well and I may actually have a lifetime supply given that I wear the bags until they fall apart!

Yo!

Last night as the giirls and I were browsing in a Borders in San Diego, Carrie came up to me and said, "Hey, Mom...look!" So I looked in the direction her finger was pointing and saw a display of House seasons DVDs on sale. I kinda cringed because earlier in the car we were all talking about weird dreams we've been having. Both girls had told their stories and then for some unknown reason I blurted out

"I dreamed I was having sexual relations with Hugh Laurie."

:huh:

Which was true, by the way, but still...why the HELL had I decided to share that little tidbit with my teenaged daughters? :unsure:

Alex groaned and said, "Oh. No. You. Didn't. Just. Say. That. Oh. My. God."

Carrie giggled and sorta squealed and said, "Oh gross!"

Hubby looked at me as if I'd just grown a couple of heads and said, "TMI, sweetheart...I'm pretty sure that was TMI."

I was kinda embarrassed. Anyhoo...so when I saw Hugh Laurie's face in Borders, I figured Carrie was rubbing my face in my TMI gaffe. I decided to be a good sport and I said, "Oh, look! It's my new boyfriend!"

Carrie said, "New? Clay's not new."

Me: "Clay? Where? Where?"

She pointed again and this time I paid attention and there! THere on the wall! A big square blowup of the OMWH CD cover! Blonde Clay in pensive profile! OMG! :Thud:

I pulled out my cellphone and moved around the aisles of CDs, trying to get the best shot of the poster--one that didn't have a glare...And then I heard Alex. <_<

"Mom, what are you doi...OMG, no. Just no." And then she was gone so fast she left a visible blur behind her! :cryingwlaughter: I mean, really! God forbid someone SEE her near some nutty woman taking a picture of a Clay Aiken poster! :hysterical::whistling-1: :lmaosmiley-1:

CMSU! I went over to see how well-supplied the store was, but was pretty pissed to find only one Clay Aiken CD! One MOAM! No ATDW or OMHW...I almost asked a clerk about it, but the first one I happened to see had more body piercings than 100 Starbucks locations' employees combined, so I decided to pass on that one.

Now I have a picture of Clay's poster in my cellphone but I have no idea how to get it transferred to any other medium, so I'll just click on it from time to time to make sure it's still there. heh.

Love the Asian travelogues, you Houston hussies! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

And Cindilu, I love the pin too!

Later, y'all!

Annabear, very nice pics of "Big Daddy"! I commend you for being able to combine the board and online courses without missing a conversation or a percentage point on test results.

Scarlett, it is wonderful to read that your aunt is doing so well that she is coming home *makes me think there is a mystical connection between her homecoming and your arrival*.

It must be a day for experimenting; I made fresh pasta today; rolled it out; stuffed it with a mixture of spinach and ricotta cheese; rolled it up...boiled for twenty minutes...cooled than sliced and put it a pan with bechamel sauce and parmesan cheese to bake. Kind of time consuming but I hope it is worth it...should be done in a bit.

aikim, despite how your day has gone today, I wanted to say how inspirational I found your culinary recap from upthread. Almost makes me want to dig out a cookbook *almost*

As for expensive purses, I generally agree that they are an indulgence, except that I am a Coach groupie, but of the "classics", not the newer fabric stuff. I love the leather styles from the 1990s and fortunately bought a lot back then and am blissfully happy in my leather Coach bag time warp. The stuff wears well and I may actually have a lifetime supply given that I wear the bags until they fall apart!

Actually it turned out quite good although I think I should have cooked the pasta longer and thankfully I have a husband who enjoys my experimentations.

Purses...no preference, but when I find one I like I usually carry it until it falls apart.

Kim

Jazzgirl, don't they have a lifetime guarantee? I'm just totally missing a girlie gene...opposite of my mom and sister...I swear if I didn't see the family resemblance I'd swear I was left on a doorstep.

From the Coach website:

Coach products are made to ensure satisfaction and service for the natural life of the product. If, during its lifetime, your item should require repair, we offer a repair service for many of our products. There is a shipping and handling charge of $20 (plus tax, where applicable) for each item submitted for repair.

I'm going to find out soon what "natural" life of the product means, as I need to send an "oldie but goodie" in for work. That is, if I ever get to that item on my bottomless "to do" list. I've never had a problem in the past, but it's been a long time since I've used the service.

Couchie, I'm missing some girlie gene components too, for instance, I have never paid anyone to do my nails for me. I've just never understood not slapping on some clear nail polish myself if I wanted to do anything about my nails.

I'm with y'all on the purse pursuit of some.

I just don't get it.

I wouldn't pay $100 for a bag, much less $1000 - or - $6000!!!! Holy Crap!

Some people pay for a purse what I would pay for a car!!!

I remember following a link sometime in the past year or so because some soap opera dude gave his soap opera gf some ridiculously expensive purse and people were talking about it on the message boards.

I thought I was going to have a coronary when I saw the "bargain" prices!!!

Hell, I don't want my family to spend that much for the box they bury me in!!!

muski, your daughter tales CMSU!!

Run! Run, run away!! Before someone catches Mom acting like - a Mom!!!

I had a good friend tell me she used to worry about embarrassing her children until she finally figured out it embarrassed her children for her to breathe!!! :hysterical:

G'night, y'all!

Good evening. Coach girl here all the way! But mine are from the 90's as well. I used to have to carry a pager for work and they had this nifty little pocket on the outside that it fit on perfectly. Carrying a pager was somewhat akin to having a third tit! Always there. I still reach for it sometimes. But I like the Coach shoulder purses, the leather ones, and they don't make them anymore. Mine is lovingly worn. I dread the day it dies.

SB - sooooo glad your auntie is doing well. I know you were worried about her. And it's great that you're getting to see her. I'll bet she really appreciates the visit.

KAndre - I think I found the perfect way for you to learn Chinese and perhaps avoid the necessity for a manager all the time. It may be more effective than I Love Clay's butt!:

thchinese.jpg

cheers.gif