#39: "The little man is healthy, happy, and as loud as his daddy"

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• New car...See Clay in Spamalot...New car...See Clay in Spamalot..
    • Clay makes spending money on him so enjoyably easy ... and irresistible.
    • I am still here and I still adore this man and have no idea why.
    • Clickables and lickables!!!!!!!!! Life is good again.
    • He's this wonderful mystery. With a great package.
    • WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
    • With Clay Aiken we've already won the Lotto!
    • Never boring. Always expensive. And worth every cent!
    • He simply makes me smile when I see him.
    • Its not that I don't have a life, its just that these Clay things are so much damn fun!

Some had Clay on a pedestal, some are missing the excitement of new things, some are just bitchy, some got into negative environments and were gradually influenced and I think others like to stir the pot - because they can. Sounds like a lot but I think we tend to notice these types of posts more. I'm a lot happier staying away from them and sticking to the newer boards like this one. It is hard to say how many have left but if you are on one of the negative boards, then it may seem like a lot of people are gone because posts are way down. Maybe a few left but I think it is difficult to assess. I know that I almost left the boards a couple of times myself but would still be a fan of Clay's.

Well that's all I want to dwell on that topic. Off to look a Carolina Clay's new blog.

Quick replies since I'm up and looking forward to Macau (especially if a particular short person actually remembers what hotel I booked)

We should be home Sunday unless the weather or the FAA messes up...and KarenEh hits it on the head for me -
the middle class seems nonexistent here - it's just weird to me
. And the amount of manual labor is staggering - so much being transported by hand or really ancient bicycle. And the drivers are BEYOND scary - my taxi guys have much more faith in brakes than I ever could.

As for the cat in the chicken picture - he wasn't in a cage, he was observing all his subjects. And there had to be about 5 other cats lying around sleeping in the doorway. I think that poultry lady really just liked cats. And I'm afraid those were snakes - I didn't see any worms and the eels looked different. The scorpions were the worst - I can sorta imagine eating snake - like alligator with legs - but I can't convince myself scorpions aren't gonna poison your ass as soon as you stick it in your mouth.

I'm glad I came, but in my heart of hearts I think I'm more of a Hong Kong girl.

Traveling by myself in this day and age just seems so simple - between the Internet and my cell, my accessibility seems to be about the same and emergencies don't really crop up all that often.

The contrasts in parts of Asia are staggering... as you say, no middle-class. Just opulence and poverty side-by-side.

Thread title poll at the top of the page!!!!!

I personally like that not as many diehard Clay fans seem to be going to Spam this time. I think he'll surprise more of the "not just us" (I hate that term) people out there. JMO of course.

Hee! I hate that term too...like nails on a chalkboard to me. But I agree; it will be good for him to play to potential fans instead of just the regulars.

Kim

::staples self to FCA::

It's ugly out there.

Good heavens, NOW what??? :wordpooper:

Hello from busy Freeport, ME...home of LL Bean, the neatest outlet mall I've ever seen....and a 1790's tavern where the state of Maine was created. How's that for a dichotomy?? :lmaosmiley-1:

This is a reeeelly nice hotel~I definitely recommend Comfort Suites, every one I've ever stayed in has been very nice. No view of the ocean here, though...I miss it already!

I managed to wander through about 1/10th of the LL Bean flagship store before my feet gave out tonight after I got here..my gawd, it's Ha-YOOJ! It's in at least 5 different, very large, buildings. They were having a free summer concert on the lawn between the complex, but I couldn't find anyone who could tell me WHO was performing; and it seems like you have to be there early, bring a chair, and get it parked on the lawn before a certain time or no go, so that let me out. I'm curious as to who it was, though...

Hmmm, looked it up~and apparently it's not even tonight, it's Saturday and it's Lonestar. Now THAT's camping out! :lol:

All I've seen of Freeport so far is the outlet mall area~which looks as though they've built a brand new town, in the Maine style, all down the highway from the village of Freeport. The outlets are all in individual buildings down the highway, not in what you would usually think of as a "mall". It looks very nice, but parking looks like being a huge issue. I'll have to give it a shot tomorrow and see what's exciting. I did see a Gap outlet, a Reebok/Rockport outlet, and a Chilton furniture outlet just in the few minutes I was down that way. Could be fun! I may have to rent a trailer to get all this stuff home!

Oooh, and now I need a smack upside my head. I forgot to say :F_05BL17blowkiss: thank you! to CarolinaClay for her awesome blog. Those so-called journalists *yuck blech ptuiiii* y'all were talking about could take a serious lesson from this lady! Faboo!

Thank you, Cindy. My former editor would be proud. :lol:

Btw, one of the blog comments about the pins is similar to your "Faboo" ... NEATO!

Hey Caro...thanks for being an FCA Ambassador. Just FYI, there will be pins available to order after August 29th.... by then we will just be able to place our order based on what has been ordered. So if by Friday we have 150 ordered we'll purchase 200 and then sell them until they run out.

You are welcome, Couchie. I was trying to get across that the number of orders you receive by Friday will determine how many pins you order. I'll work on the wording.

Have a great evening, all! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Caro listen.gif

People should be allowed to grow, change, find themselves

Often at the same time...

:hysterical:annabear!. FCA is indeed a very special place with very special people.

Never mind, I found a delightful ex-pat in the Starbucks at the Guangzhou train station - I let him buy me a mango passionfruit frappe and he was sad that I'm taking a different train to HK than him. He thought I was brilliant. Heh.

Talk to y'all in Macau!

Did you exchange contact info? *hums "Love is a Many Splendored Thing", as this is the appropriate continent for it*

The contrasts in parts of Asia are staggering... as you say, no middle-class. Just opulence and poverty side-by-side.

Tom Friedman made this interesting point in the New York Times:

Yes, if you drive an hour out of Beijing, you meet the vast dirt-poor third world of China. But here’s what’s new: The rich parts of China, the modern parts of Beijing or Shanghai or Dalian, are now more state of the art than rich America. The buildings are architecturally more interesting, the wireless networks more sophisticated, the roads and trains more efficient and nicer. And, I repeat, they did not get all this by discovering oil. They got it by digging inside themselves.

As for angst on other boards, it's Clay's life, to run as he pleases. I just decide if I want to observe.

:hysterical:annabear!. FCA is indeed a very special place with very special people.

bwah and whenever we have the FCA awards, Annabear is a shoe in for Best use of Spam!

Caro..your blog is more than fine! Thanks again.

So last night I was up until 3 Am working on bills LOL...and I got a little bit bold and sent a 3 am email requesting a raise from my second job and I "may" get a promotion out of it, but definitely a raise any way it turns out. Is it Spam yet?

Oh goodness.

Another kerfuffle?

Sheesh. People must be bored since the Olympics are done!

I'm so crazy. I was flipping channels today and passed by a Bringing Home Baby show. Lord help me I stopped and watched jsust so I could see the baby and try to remember what Clay and Jaymes are watching! :hysterical:

The little squishy bundle of potential. That little embodiment of love itself.

then they showed him when he was starting to smile and show some personality - 8 weeks, I think. So cute. So promising.

It was kind of fun!

I know. I'm crazy!

:Laie_6:

whenever we have the FCA awards, Annabear is a shoe in for Best use of Spam!

I guess I could say my brain is Spam rather than mush!

So last night I was up until 3 Am working on bills LOL...and I got a little bit bold and sent a 3 am email requesting a raise from my second job and I "may" get a promotion out of it, but definitely a raise any way it turns out. Is it Spam yet?

Share the wealth with your friends! Or at least email the link to whatever you were going to email me at one point! :hysterical:

Got my pins ordered - thanks cindilu! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

As always, love your blog, Caro. :clap:

I'm soooooooo tired. Tomorrow is Thursday, otherwise known as Friday for me work-wise. A 4 day weekend!!! :04:

Looking forward to reading more of the Asian Adventures of KAndre & Scarlett and hoping they finally find someplace where this works in their favor: :Iluvclaysbutt:

'Night all! :offtobed:

ETA: Yes, CG - I was wondering if you'd holed yourself up at the Shubert, waiting for Clay to come back! ;)

::staples self to FCA::

It's ugly out there.

Oh what now???

Did y'all miss me??? **crickets**

Anyone notice I was missing??? **crickets**

**Sigh**

I had a GREAT time in NY last weekend, then came back and ended up working waaaay too late every day so I was too tired when I got home to even read!

So what did my Lurker Friend and I do in NY without Clay? We walked. A LOT! We walked from Times Square down through the Village, Soho, spent 5 seconds in the crowds on Canal Street and worked our way to South Street Seaport. There we bought cheap tickets to Rent (since its closing 9/7 we thought that is what we should go see), ate, drank, sat out by the water in the gorgeous weather. Thought about continuing down to Battery Park to get the Staten Islkand Ferry, but decided to get another drink instead and sit some more in the sun and watch the people. Eventually we decided to get the subway back. We went back to the hotel, changed and then went to the theater. After the show we found somewhere to catch a bite to eat and drink and then wandered around Times Square awhile and then went back to the hotel to sleep. Sunday we got up and thought about getting tickets to Spamalot for that afternoon. Yup. We actually considered it. We both were curious as to what it would be like with other people. We went over to the TKTS booth at the Marriott Marquis, but the lines were incredible! We didn't want to see it that badly! But they did have tickets available for the matinee for 50% off. Instead we walked up tp Central Park, walked through the park until we got to about 72nd street on the 5th avenue side, sat by the water for awhile and people watched. Then we walked across the park to Central Park West, continued on to Columbus Ave and then walked back to Times Square where we finally got something to eat. Then we decided to go over to the Shubert and check out the stage door! What a difference. There were only between 15 and 20 people there tops. They had one barrier up. Bradley Dean came out and started texting someone. He just waited in the alley for awhile. One person went up to him (he is VERY good looking!). A few minutes later Rick Holmes came out and met up with Bradley Dean and they walked off. One person came up to him. A few moments later Stephen Collins came out. One person semi-shouted a weak "YAY". A Shubert security person stood by. He went around, signed stuff and posed for pictures with everyone and went back in. I think the 15 or so people were waiting for Drew Lachey to come out but it was getting late and we had to get our train. So we walked back to our hotel, got our bags and walked to the train station.

There was no indication that Clay was coming back at the theater. We went inside the lobby area and all around but nothing anywhere that indicated he would be back. I would have thought if they wanted him to bring in people other than "us" they would advertise it! Also no indication the show would be closing, although I guess its a bit far out to publicize that if its true. There were signs everywhere that Rent was closing. Of course, maybe its not, but what is funny about that rumor is I said to someone when we heard Clay was coming back and then so was David Hibberd that maybe they were all reuniting to close out the show. But then again, no Hannah as far as we know. And we don't know if Jonathan is coming back to play the king, so I guess that probably isn't it. Besides, if it is closing in February, I can't believe Clay wouldn't stay on until then and if he is I would think they would announce it.

Still don't have Spam tickets. Can't decide when to go and after spending so much this past weekend, it will have to wait. I know I will go - just not when or how often. I am positive I won't go as many times as the last time. I just cannot afford it. I think others may be in the same boat and with the holidays money may be tight for some. I do not expect he will draw as many as before and while the not just us types also filled the seats the first time around, they are likely less apt to go see him again in it than we are. I feel confident he will increase sales - just not as much as before - and I bet the TPTB at Spam will happily take it!

Love both pins! I will definitely order, but couchie, put 2 of each aside for me in case I forget, ok???

Ok, off to bed. Another long day at work awaits me tomorrow......

Ha! I was just going to post "Anybody heard from CG and lurker buddy after their NYC trip?" Glad you kept yourselves busy, women! I bet it WAS weird in Shubert Alley without Clay and all of 'us'. I hear you about Spam: The Sequel--I've got my eye on closing weekend and if I make that, it'll be a miracle.

Cotton, you CMSU when you post :nightienight: every night! :cryingwlaughter:

Where's "Someone take the measure of that man!" as a thread title option? That's the one I want, demmit! :hubbahubba:

:nightienight:

night John Boy.

Hey CG...lord NYC was made for walking. I lost ten pounds in 10 days... took only a fraction of that when I got home to put it all back on. Geesh. Glad ya'll had fun. I have your post bookmarked and will check back on January 4th to see how many shows you made. :cryingwlaughter: I think I may actually see more shows the second time around. I remember I got to NY on a Saturday and saw the show on Sunday night and then not again until Thursday. And it's weird but it took until show three for it all to smack me in the face and just get it all. Although I was duly impressed from show one with Clay and the lovely lovey Hannah who just knocked my socks off from the moment she appeared on stage. Too bad she can't come back.

Hey Muski... I'll give you a few days to rest up afer you get home before we :trink3: K! heee :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA cuz the stage is not a screen..

Sowwy Cindy -- I might have missed it.

If you want, I'll try my best to look for it for next time....hee.

Ha! That's what happened last time! Oh well. I guess I'll just have to measure the man on my own.

Rough, I know.

I'll try and persevere.

:lilredani:

I don't think it's odd that they aren't touting Clay just yet - be kind of insulting to the fella playing him now, dontcha think? How long before his Jan 18th debut did the promos start on Fox? I just don't see the producers going to the effort of getting him back not to use him. They're not RCA after all. Heh.

I never think it's good if Clay fans stay away because I always think there's plenty of NJU in attendance anyhow.

I'm going to see Clay MORE times this time around (even missing the two shows when he'll be at the gala--SHIT!!!)

I can't imagine anyone not going just because they've gone before. My friend and I can hardly wait!

JBTACTh3453cor1.jpg

Had to bring this forward. Arm furrrrrrrrrrrr! :hubbahubba:

I can't imagine anyone not going just because they've gone before. My friend and I can hardly wait!

Me either, unless finances are an issue. Well, they're an issue for me but I'm going anyway! I loved Spam, for one thing, although I don't think I'd go if Clay wasn't in it. I just like to watch Clay. He makes me smile. Pure and simple. He makes me smile.

The best bonus is meeting up with friends! For that reason alone I can't imagine not going.

Cagney, I sure don't know why Clay doesn't pull the sales like the others. First thing Mr. Salt said when he listened to OMWH (the CD) was, "Why isn't Clay on the radio?" Maybe the symphony backing instead of a band doesn't sell as many tickets?

Thanks for posting the Jesus is Love link, muskifest. What a treat.

Hey! Couchie, where'd you go? I hopped on over to the Spam thread and when I came back you were gone. Going to bed is not an option. It's lunch time and I have some nice home cooked roast beef here for sandwiches.

Somebody take the measure of that man!

:PickMe-1:

I ordered my pins and it sure was easy, thanks! One of these days I'm going to ask to have something sent to me over here just to see how long it takes and whether or not I would actually get it. I noticed a post office the other day and I'm going to hand write a few letters, get Ali take me to there to get stamps and see what happens. I'm told they call you when you get mail and if you want it delivered they bring it out, or they'll hold it for pick up.

Gosh, How did I miss this for my post yesterday? :pirateship:

I can use akim's countdown to keep track of the days! Wheeeeee!

I mean "Arrrrgh

CG, I went to Clayless spam and it was okay, kind of like plain cheese pizza....not quite as out of kilter as a hamburger without a bun...just short a little pepperoni.....okay.....a lot of pepperoni.

Caro, you do such a great job with your blog! Thanks for keeping it so up to date and bringing it over for us.

I wrote one since I've been back and have begun to do a little maintenance on it, I pulled all the links for now and am going to go through the list and repost the ones that are still active. I had a lot of dead ones on there. I pinched that music widget that you had, Caro, and I'm going to see if I can figure out how to use it. It looks very cool. Oh and I changed the name, though the address is still the same. It's now called One Hand On The Wheel And that's just me....always changing things, just for the heck of it. Bookmarks still work.

I get to go to Spam three times this time compared to eleven the last. One trip and one drive by (so I HAVE to stop)....on the drive by on October the 7th, my sister is coming with me and if she has a cataplectic attack from laughing, it should be interesting. I haven't quite figured out how I am going to keep her from laughing too hard....but I have to come up with a plan. (She suffers from narcolepsy with cataplexy so we have some very interesting times.) If we get past intermission it will be a miracle. Anyway, she is really looking forward to seeing Clay live. She doesn't care that it isn't a concert, though I know she would love it! Also, her first trip to New York, so even though we will only be there for an afternoon and an evening. It will be great. I think we will have to do Top of the Rock just so she can see how it all looks from up there.

In December, I'm doing a Friday night and a Saturday matinee, but flying in on Thursday.....what are the chances that we'll do something else on Thursday night? The plan is to see the Radio City Christmas Show on Saturday night and we leave on Sunday morning.

Could I babble anymore? Guess not....I'll stop now. :013085001176249046: too!

I feel Clay has been put on an impossible pedestal and is being held to a ridiculously high standard. Who among us are exactly the same as we were 1 year ago, let alone 3 or 5 or 10. People should be allowed to grow, change, find themselves or they will just DIE. And that's the bottom line. He's a pop star and a man, not a messiah.
heh, Couchie, what I find ridiculous is how some people label their "standards" as "high". Oh, please.

Pretty hilarious, too (well Ron the God of Irony has taken to drinking 150-proof mead because he can't sleep at night) how some weirdly consider every word Clay says about his own self, or sings, is somehow a directive or trying to tell them what to do. And they get pissy and maunder on about how dare he try and tell me what to do!

Some of those very same people have no trouble believing he should have consulted them or considered them before having a relationship or a child. Ron had to put an ad out on Craigslist, looking for assistants, but all he is getting is people who want him to fill out surveys for BIG MONEY! Or people who only know how to use sporks. Ron says "sporks? WTF?" with a charming Scandinavian accent - a bit slurred, due to the mead.

Some boards with declining posterage (I have trademarked that word. So there!) might want to consider that reading picky critical shit or thinly veiled self-important neener-neener crap every day is just not how others want to spend their free time. Has nothing to do with Clay's personal life choices. If I want to read about negative crap, I'll make CNN my home page. (And no, I don't mean Clay News Network). :-) Being a Clay fan is not a job or a grim responsibility, ya know.

KAndre, your travelogues crack me up - thanks for taking the time to share your trips with us. That goes for Scarlett, too!

For other funny travel stuff, I can highly recommend Dave Barry Does Japan - paperback - it is hilarious, and if one has actually been to Japan, it is even funnier. KAndre's trip reports remind me of Dave. Maybe she can get a syndicated column and her own TV show!

Oh, and a heartfelt thanks to all the picture posters and providers! I love seeing pictures!

Some boards with declining posterage (I have trademarked that word. So there!) might want to consider that reading picky critical shit or thinly veiled self-important neener-neener crap every day is just not how others want to spend their free time. Has nothing to do with Clay's personal life choices.

You know this is the part that always seems to get left out of the equation IMO after 5 years many fans just outgrew the message boards. They are just over the heavy-handed moderation, incessant 'round and 'round and the same old personalities. They haven't stopped being fans...just have found other ways to have conversations about Clay. I know that this is true of most of friends that I have in this fandom. The way I see it, it has less to do with approval/disapproval of what Clay is doing and more to do with the environment of the conversation.