#39: "The little man is healthy, happy, and as loud as his daddy"

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• New car...See Clay in Spamalot...New car...See Clay in Spamalot..
    • Clay makes spending money on him so enjoyably easy ... and irresistible.
    • I am still here and I still adore this man and have no idea why.
    • Clickables and lickables!!!!!!!!! Life is good again.
    • He's this wonderful mystery. With a great package.
    • WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
    • With Clay Aiken we've already won the Lotto!
    • Never boring. Always expensive. And worth every cent!
    • He simply makes me smile when I see him.
    • Its not that I don't have a life, its just that these Clay things are so much damn fun!

Some boards with declining posterage (I have trademarked that word. So there!) might want to consider that reading picky critical shit or thinly veiled self-important neener-neener crap every day is just not how others want to spend their free time. Has nothing to do with Clay's personal life choices. If I want to read about negative crap, I'll make CNN my home page. (And no, I don't mean Clay News Network). :-) Being a Clay fan is not a job or a grim responsibility, ya know.

Oh my. SO much word to this.

Every time I see someone bleating about the 'declining' message board activity I want to scream these words. Thanks for putting it so succinctly djs. It can't be said enough. My declining postage (still gonna tm you on that one djs, I just bastardized it!) has absolutely nothing to do with any loss of interest in, or admiration for, Clay, and everything to do with being tired of the 'picky critical shit or thinly veiled self-important neener-neener crap' :wordpooper:

Clay Aiken? Love him - more today than yesterday. Not as much as tomorrow. Hey! I think there's a song in there somewhere!

Some boards with declining posterage (I have trademarked that word. So there!) might want to consider that reading picky critical shit or thinly veiled self-important neener-neener crap every day is just not how others want to spend their free time. Has nothing to do with Clay's personal life choices. If I want to read about negative crap, I'll make CNN my home page. (And no, I don't mean Clay News Network). :-) Being a Clay fan is not a job or a grim responsibility, ya know.

Oh my. SO much word to this.

Every time I see someone bleating about the 'declining' message board activity I want to scream these words. Thanks for putting it so succinctly djs. It can't be said enough. My declinage postage (still gonna tm you on that one djs, I just bastardized it!) has absolutely nothing to do with any loss of interest in, or admiration for, Clay, and everything to do with being tired of the 'picky critical shit or thinly veiled self-important neener-neener crap' :wordpooper:

Clay Aiken? Love him - more today than yesterday. Not as much as tomorrow. Hey! I think there's a song in there somewhere!

Just woke up, gotta to to work, too tired to think, so....^^^^^^ Yeah, THAT!!

Good Morning Everyone,

Big old word to djs and Jamar

!

22 Days until "Spam, Wonderful, Spam"!

! :woohoo:

30 Days until Clay is Partying with Paula!

:woohoo:

51 Days until The BAF Gala! :woohoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Well. that would be true if there were different lines added, the same thing, well, I don't think I will do 18 shows this time, 10 should be more than enough.

Hee. But you know, I don't ever think Spam is the same twice, even from one night to the next, because of the nature of the play. Heck, from my first trip in March to my second trip in May, so much had changed with Clay. He had grown into the part so much, the bottle dance was completely different with the tongue and the eyes and the "shhhhhh!", and don't even get me started on the braiding of the ribbons! LOL So I expect that some things will change or progress this time, too. Clay rarely stays stagnant, he always has something up his sleeve to surprise us.

I never think it's good if Clay fans stay away because I always think there's plenty of NJU in attendance anyhow.

I'm going to see Clay MORE times this time around (even missing the two shows when he'll be at the gala--SHIT!!!)

I can't imagine anyone not going just because they've gone before. My friend and I can hardly wait!

I hear ya. To me, right now a lot of the non-excitement I've read (mainly elsewhere) is more the usual stuff that happens each time something new is announced. Usually it is an unknown and there is a lot of angst over how bad it might suck, blah blah blah. This time it's that some people think it will be same old, same old, been there, done that, not going to do it again. But I say just wait! Because it's a pattern. Generally it takes a show or two and then the excitement builds in the fandom. It's pretty much a recognizable pattern, to me, by now. So I'm just not worried. What's that line from Field Of Dreams? If you sing act build it, they will come? Heh.

Some boards with declining posterage (I have trademarked that word. So there!) might want to consider that reading picky critical shit or thinly veiled self-important neener-neener crap every day is just not how others want to spend their free time. Has nothing to do with Clay's personal life choices.

You know this is the part that always seems to get left out of the equation IMO after 5 years many fans just outgrew the message boards. They are just over the heavy-handed moderation, incessant 'round and 'round and the same old personalities. They haven't stopped being fans...just have found other ways to have conversations about Clay. I know that this is true of most of friends that I have in this fandom. The way I see it, it has less to do with approval/disapproval of what Clay is doing and more to do with the environment of the conversation.

Word, word, word to this and to everyone who worded it. :)

CG, glad you had a good time in NYC. I saw Spam long before Clay was cast, and I really loved it. However, I am not sure I could go and watch it now without him. He's raised the bar for me.

Glad you are still enjoying yourself, FromClaygary! And I hope our other world travellers check in with more stories today!

Cotton, you CMSU when you post :nightienight: every night! :cryingwlaughter:

:nightienight:

night John Boy.

:hysterical:

I was just getting ready to respond to muski with . . .

Yeah, but it's easier than typing . . .

"g'night, John Boy; g'night, EllieMae; g'night Lizbeth; g'night Couchie; g'night, Muski; g'night, FromClaygary; g'night, etc, etc, . . .!

Woke up with another damned headache this morning. *pffft*

So I don't need to go read any angst anywhere. Clay Aiken is going to be around long after I'm gone. He will make people laugh, he will make people cry with the depth of that voice, he will continue to break the mold people attempt to hold him to. I hope Heaven is real so I can keep on watching him surprise and delight!

On the Bright Side . . . the new washer is supposed to come today!

Yay!

Have a good day, All!!!

And you know what? More and more I don't think most of the people posting that kind of crap even mean it. They just seem to get some kind of kick out of stirring up shit. Whatever. I am so done trying to convince people that he's 'worthy' of their fandom. Don't like what he's doing (or in some case who he's doing it with)? That's their loss.

I think some are addicted to the message boards. Clay isn't even in the equation, anymore, other than to devalue him.

Some had Clay on a pedestal, some are missing the excitement of new things, some are just bitchy, some got into negative environments and were gradually influenced and I think others like to stir the pot - because they can. Sounds like a lot but I think we tend to notice these types of posts more. I'm a lot happier staying away from them and sticking to the newer boards like this one. It is hard to say how many have left but if you are on one of the negative boards, then it may seem like a lot of people are gone because posts are way down. Maybe a few left but I think it is difficult to assess. I know that I almost left the boards a couple of times myself but would still be a fan of Clay's.

Well that's all I want to dwell on that topic. Off to look a Carolina Clay's new blog.

Yeah, all that.

I think some are addicted to the message boards. Clay isn't even in the equation, anymore, other than to devalue him.

Huh?

Addicted?

Ya' think?

:hysterical:

For some I don't even think their purpose has one single thing to do with Clay. They just enjoy raining on anybody's parade. They love being the center of angst. Watching the turmoil after they drop their little bombs of negativity. Sadly, too many don't see through their plays and jump in to take their bait and reward them.

And if you watch certain ones who are the first to trash any new Clay News, and proclaim they hate the latest venture, you are sure to see them eventually appear in the audience.

I wish they would take their "ball" and go home! :lmaosmiley-1:

OTOH

:Iluvclaysbutt:

You know this is the part that always seems to get left out of the equation IMO after 5 years many fans just outgrew the message boards. They are just over the heavy-handed moderation, incessant 'round and 'round and the same old personalities. They haven't stopped being fans...just have found other ways to have conversations about Clay. I know that this is true of most of friends that I have in this fandom. The way I see it, it has less to do with approval/disapproval of what Clay is doing and more to do with the environment of the conversation.

In my bleary-eyed way-too-early-to-attempt-coherency posting this morning, I missed this gem from jamar. So wise! I'd say that 95% of my Clay conversations now take place outside the boards - which is a shame, because it leaves a skewed impression that enthusiasm for Clay has waned and a too-large proportion of what is left is the angst and fretting, and sometimes just plain nastiness. Pity.

Regarding "less fans" going to Spamalot...I think part of the equation is simply money. There are many fans who went to multiples last spring, thinking (rightfully at the time) that this would be the only time Clay would be in Spam. And in so doing, extended their budgets to the limit. I'm personally glad that I only planned one trip last spring, because it gives me the opportunity to do it once again (and afford it)!

Fandoms are rather hard to negotiate, IMO, and I do think they are microcosms for society today. Some people have bubbly, optimistic attitudes in practically everything; some vary wildly between that and negative; and some just don't seem to find anything to be happy about. That's just the way it is in life, and in being part of the Clay Aiken fandom. I personally don't see the point in negative, but that's just me.

In that last paragraph...did I have a point? I'm not sure now. I think it's my own headache kicking in again...

CG, I'm glad you had a good time walking the streets of NYC. Wait, that sounds kind of slutty. *g* Say "hi" to lurker friend!

In my bleary-eyed way-too-early-to-attempt-coherency posting this morning, I missed this gem from jamar. So wise! I'd say that 95% of my Clay conversations now take place outside the boards - which is a shame, because it leaves a skewed impression that enthusiasm for Clay has waned and a too-large proportion of what is left is the angst and fretting, and sometimes just plain nastiness. Pity.

You know, that is sad but probably true. I've always avoided that. That's probably why I'm a nobody, with too many opinions that have seen the light of day. In many ways, that's a two-edged sword because I haven't had the pleasure of getting to know people better.

Oh, baby, ldyj, if you find a cure for the headache, please share it with me!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Lordy. The negative. Just step into a faculty lounge. I quit going to the "lounge", except to drop some coin in the machine to get my daily Coke. Pot stirrers abounded and I had to learn not to get sucked in. Silly me. i thought they were making legitimate points. Then I realized there are just some people who are not happy unless they're miserable - and making everyone around them miserable, too!

Hello FCAers!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I have been off the board for a while and I've missed you all!!

My computer wouldnt let me do web searches or get to pages linked from "favourites" so after much scanning for spyware/viruses and fruitless conversations with ISP someone suggested it might be Internet Explorer. I have switched to another browser and YAY! Problem not fixed yet but at least we are back on line. Now off to catch up! XXX

You know, I can understand the not wanting to post when all the negativity starts running rampant and yet I also feel that just leaving the boards lets those who live to bitch & moan on them, win. The ignore button is my friend and when this guy fails to please my ears & eyes, which I don't envision happening any time in the near future, then I'll leave.

Asheville-0811074.jpg

virgincdface.jpg

jbt_smile7.jpg

GMA08_smile4.jpg

claylonghairgrin_smile3.jpg

Welcome back ausdon. Computers are not always our friends.

I don't usually post because I don't get super secret information on where Clay is and what he's doing. It's sad to me that people aren't happy for him having a son- something he has talked about wanting for so long. So when I see someone criticizing him on a board for becoming a dad I just scroll. It doesn't pay to argue. I did report a woman who was being very disrespctful on the OFC and disregarding the tou. :tongue57:

I'm getting pretty involved in the political scene again but will be leaving on election day to head out to Spamalot and playbiller. I never get my days straight.

You know, I can understand the not wanting to post when all the negativity starts running rampant and yet I also feel that just leaving the boards lets those who live to bitch & moan on them, win.
Annabear, I understand what you mean, and if a bitchy bossy negative board was the only choice, I would agree 100%! But things change, people move on, and it seems like people who enjoy being on the boards have gravitated to different places where they feel happier. If I was on a board where negativity is the order of the day, the modding was heavily applied to people who didn't agree on things, and every post was scrutinized for "errors" - I would no sooner want to stay there than I would want those people to come over for dinner and bitch in person! (Yes I know they would not come to my house, it is a figure of speech or something).

Life's too short for reading about carping about stuff that doesn't affect my Real Life!

Life's too short for reading about carping about stuff that doesn't affect my Real Life!

Absolutely! There is definitely a toxic environment on some boards and it's not worth hanging out in the muddy waters. I was responding more to a point cindilu made:

I'd say that 95% of my Clay conversations now take place outside the boards - which is a shame, because it leaves a skewed impression that enthusiasm for Clay has waned and a too-large proportion of what is left is the angst and fretting, and sometimes just plain nastiness. Pity.

So is it that the ugliness from some boards makes people not want to post much anymore on any boards?

I reported several people at the OFC as well, Fear, back when Parker's birth was first announced. There were some comments left on Clay's blog that floored me. Some people should come with a neon WARNING!!! sign flashing above their heads.

*waves at ausdon*

You know, I can understand the not wanting to post when all the negativity starts running rampant and yet I also feel that just leaving the boards lets those who live to bitch & moan on them, win.

It's a catch-22, isn't it? I think in my case -- it was like the old joke of "It it hurts to do something, then don't do it!" I really want people to be happy, you know -- but if it starts causing me heartburn in order to get people happy...*sigh*

The ignore button is my friend and when this guy fails to please my ears & eyes, which I don't envision happening any time in the near future, then I'll leave.

A-freakinn'-men.

Asheville-0811074.jpg

virgincdface.jpg

jbt_smile7.jpg

GMA08_smile4.jpg

claylonghairgrin_smile3.jpg

Ah yes. Smiling Clay. He makes me happy.

:thbighug-1: ausdon!

ATDW Virgin CD signing. :)

annabear, I was definitely referring to my posting elsewhere - I was a pretty active member on at least two other boards, and while I still do occasionally, it almost always feels like a chore. And the OFC message board is an abomination - I don't care how they try and justify it.

I am here to have fun and to celebrate Clay and his career and the small bits of his life he chooses to share. I really, truly enjoy that, and it's so much more fun when it can be shared with other people. I don't like being made to feel (by implication, if not directly) that I'm blind or stupid or foolish because I still find so much to love and admire (and drool over) about him.

*looks down* Heheh - wandacleo, I love you.

I suppose it's remotely possible that someone could look at a picture of Clay and say it's a bad picture or look at a new haircut or color and say it's not as attractive as another or even suggest that one song is better than another, but I think when a pattern emerges and someone REPEATEDLY criticizes Clay's life, friends, choices, hair, clothes, songs, concerts, appearances, etc., etc., ad nauseum that THAT person is doing it to get attention and not because that person is some poor misunderstood devoted fan of Clay.

Give me a fucking break.