#40: He simply makes me smile when I see him.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• He looks great, he looks happy and healhty...me likey, me happy!
    • He makes me go broke with a smile on my face!
    • He is excessively, endlessly, adorably CUTE!!!!!!!!
    • God the voice is gorgeous. I'll never take it for granted.
    • Break open those piggy banks! Remember - if you choose to rob a bank, just don't wear a Clay Aiken t-shirt!
    • Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!
    • Clay has some serious mojo!!!
    • He sings. He dances. He talks. He wears PANTS! verra, verra niiiicely. The rest is just noise!
    • Someone take the measure of that man!
    • Who CARES? He's hot!!!
    • But in the final analysis - he could be bald and I would still love him.
    • Is there ever enough Clay?
    • He's Clay, you know. The hotness intensifies as time goes by.

I really feel for those without power. The longest we have ever gone was 5 days. Now in the winter when it is very cold that was a problem but it is never pleasant. Especially when you have no idea when it will resume. For over 2 days here it has been raining. My little rain bucket outside says about 8 inches. Thank goodness my sump pump is keeping up. I have so much stuff on the floor near my desk. Every committee I am on has some kind of material in boxes. A couple of them are in plastic tubs but some are in computer paper boxes. I think if it looks like a problem I will be looking for space higher. We always have all our shelves in the storage area off the floor, so that is not a problem unless it starts pouring in.

I enjoyed Clay's blogged the other day. I can just imagine him reading piles again. I am not a very articulate writer so I know that I will not enter. Of course if I did and won I would have to really plead my case to go. I do not think I will go there.

I wish everyone luck in doing this. I would love to read the entries after the winner is picked.

Somewhere, and my mind does not remember where, I read that Lil Wayne was on SNL last night and how low is pants were. I had to laugh because in Flint they have passed a ordinance that if you walk in public and show your underwear with your pants low you can be fined. When I was at work a couple of weeks ago my patient was 16 and his friends came to see him. Their pants were so low and belted across the lower pelvic region they could barely walk. I teased them about the law passed in Flint. They had heard about it, it was all over the news, and said they hoped it was not going to be enforced in their area. I have a hard time believing that wearing your pants that way can be comfortable at all. I guess I am glad that is one fight I did not have to battle with my boys.

We are having our own "hurricane" in Chicagoland with a one hundred year rain. I have at least three feet of water in the basement. I am worried that the furnace/AC unit, the water heater, washer/dryer and freezer may all be lost, and no flood insurance or sump pump, because nothing was ever needed before now The chest freezer is actually floating! I had two feet of water yesterday, but it went down, until last night, when it all came back.

Anyone had any flood experience with damaged appliances? Were they salvageable or not? From what I am reading, about three feet of water is when it is recommended they be junked. We thought about trying to bail water, but the basement is a virtual lake.

ETA: Talked with annabear. She is without power in Ohio, due to storms.

I know when people threw out appliances and TVs etc from the NJ flood, friends of mine went around collecting them (they were going to use themn for part}s, but found they worked fine after they dried out. Now if they have circuit boards in them, they have to be replaced, once wet, always ruined. The big thing is to not turn them on until they are completely absolurely dry and stand by the breaker to make sure you can turn off the power fast!.

Yay ldyj! :confetti2:

Hopefully keepingfaith and desertrose are just without internet access.

I want to add my YAY!!! for ldyj going to Spamalot! And I'm hoping, too, to hear from KF and desertrose soon.

Some people might say that Clay doesn't want his career enough. He doesn't want it more then his integrity and to me that is a good thing. Better to have a smaller career and be able to look at himself.

I agree with this 100%!! Clay likely could have overcome the 'uncool' image right after AI by doing things that aren't true to himself, but at what cost? I'm so glad he's stayed true to himself. It makes him sooo much more appealing to me - he is someone who is genuine and doesn't bow to pressure to do things that may be popular but aren't authentic.

WHAT?!

Only Five.jpgmore days until

SPAMALOT PART DEUX!

SpamGuard.jpg

I've missed those deep discussions about the carrying capabilities of migrating swallows.

EEEEEEEE, I'm getting excited for Spamalot! I can't go again this time (sniff), but I'm so excited to hear reports and see stage door pics!!

:hello: from Scarlett. She is in good spirits. The Walmart in her neighborhood is opening in a few minutes so she decided to drive to the store. She doesn't need anything but wanted to see what they had. She used her time in the car to recharge all of her electronics and get a better signal on her cell. We also went over the open gas stations in her neighborhood. She's hoping that her work place is open tomorrow so she can be back on the net. Needless to say she's already giddy about seeing Clay next weekend.

ETA: KAndre also says, "Hi." She decided that the Galleria Mall would be a perfect place for her since there are open restaurants. No need to cook if she doesn't have to. She definitely won't be working tomorrow as she works downtown.

Thanks so much for the update! It's good to hear that KAndre and Scarlett are doing alright!

We are having our own "hurricane" in Chicagoland with a one hundred year rain. I have at least three feet of water in the basement. I am worried that the furnace/AC unit, the water heater, washer/dryer and freezer may all be lost, and no flood insurance or sump pump, because nothing was ever needed before now The chest freezer is actually floating! I had two feet of water yesterday, but it went down, until last night, when it all came back.

Anyone had any flood experience with damaged appliances? Were they salvageable or not? From what I am reading, about three feet of water is when it is recommended they be junked. We thought about trying to bail water, but the basement is a virtual lake.

*HUGS* to you, jazzgirl! Good luck to both you and annabear.

oh no Jazzgirl!!! sorry about your basement. We get a flooded basement every spring just from the thaw of the snow and ice...so we do have a sump pump.

with appliances and electronics...hubby said just to makes sure you dry it out before trying to turn it on.

(((for those affected by this storm)))) we are getting the effects of Ike too. The winds are higher...

but not much rain yet.

Thanks couchie, you answered CG for me. Was my mother weird when she had my brother at 43?

Whoa! When did I use the word "weird"???? I said UNUSUAL, which just means its not the norm. I never said it was weird. That has a entirely different meaning!

Do I think the circumstances that we KNOW about Parker's conception and birth are weird???? No. Do I think it is unusual? Yes.

Do I think your mother was weird when she had your brother at 43? No. Was it unusual for a 43 year old woman back then (only because its less so now) to have a baby? Sure it was.

HUGE difference in the meaning of those two words and since I never used the word "weird" in this discussion I just want to make it perfectly clear that I do NOT think its weird (though let's face, many do...), but I do think it is unusual.

And yes, couchie, that old double standard raises its ugly head again. But in this case I think its unusual not only because of the differences in their ages - which would only be a big deal if they are romantically involved, which is one of the things we do NOT know, except that Clay seemed to indicate publicly they were just dear friends. Jaymes' age does make it unusual because it is not that common for someone of her age to have a baby! It is more common for men to become fathers at that age (although it is still not the norm), but then again, their biology doesn't seem to limit that possibility. And assuming what Clay has said publicly about his relationship is true, it is also unusual for a guy to choose to have a baby with a friend - no matter what their ages.

Listen, one of the things I have always loved about Clay is that for the most part he has chosen to live his life as he wants to and if that means not conforming to what the music world or general public - or even his fans - want, then so be it. I was never saying differently. I only brought it up because we were discussing the prospect that he might get treated with more respect simply because he is now a father and I doubted that. I simply said that I believe that because he has never conformed to what the pop music world expects of its stars it is unlikely getting respect from them would be as easy becoming a father and that the unusual circumstances surrounding Parker wouldn't help.

I really don't think it is all that unusual anymore for women in their late 40's or early 50's to be having babies...seems there are quite a few celebrity Mom's who are older...fact is science has made it possible for this to happen.

My mother was 18 years older than her brother; my grandmother was 42 when she had him; my mother was married at 19, so by the time my older sister and I came along (11 months apart), we had an Uncle who was 2-3 years old. We basically all grew up together.

I actually don't think the problem with Jaymes having a baby is her age as much as it is Clay's baby...anybody else's baby and it wouldn't matter. Plus I think there are fans who just plain dislike Jaymes and want her as far away from Clay as possible.

Kim

Jazzgirl In some places, you can call the fire department and they'll come pump out your flooded basement. If you own your home, your house insurance may pay for pumps, etc. and damage.

I have two houses that flooded (3 feet inside) in 1995 when WE had a 100-year flood. Some things--like washers and driers, actually dried out and could be used, but they all died within a few months. The repair guy said that the water was dirty and it got into the parts and corroded them, and the same thing happens with cars. However, if you have CLEAN water soaking things, they may be all right. It's really important that you get fans and heaters and have everything dried out because otherwise you can get terrible fungus growth everywhere. We had to take out our walls and spray everything with clorox a couple of times. So, remember if you have sheetrock that the water soaks through and gets in behind it.

I'm so sorry. I feel so bad for people who have been flooded because I know how miserable it is.

I really don't think it is all that unusual anymore for women in their late 40's or early 50's to be having babies...seems there are quite a few celebrity Mom's who are older...fact is science has made it possible for this to happen.

I'm trying to remember when it became UNUSUAL..proabbly when they started reminding us of our biological clock TICK TICK TICKING. My grandmother was 46 when she had her last baby. Maybe it wasn't a safe thing to do or something.

Oh I understand what you are saying CG but closed minds are on the people with the closed minds. Yes Clay may have to deal with the consequences but what else can he do but live his life the way he wants to. I wonder what he'd prefer, understanding and support from strangers or Parker.

eeeek, 49ers in the game with 1 minute to go..whoo hooo go babies go. heee

Jazzgirl, I hope you're able to rescue your basement when it stops! We're having a great deal of rain here too...my sump pump is struggling to keep up but is so far keeping ahead of the game.

I haven't seen this much water in the (almost) 4 years I've lived here. The pond in back of our houses is full up, and even the migrating geese and other birds have abandoned it.

The weather is just unbelievable this year!....but we have very little to complain about in comparison to Houston and Louisiana.

The rain has finally stopped here in the southern suburbs of Chicago; just a little windy right now and it is cooling off...it has been so muggy!

Kim

It became "abnormal" to have children in the late 40s and early 50s with the onset of birth control pills and legalized abortion. If you go back further than that, you'll find it was pretty common to have "menopause" babies. It wasn't unusual for aunts and uncles to be the same age as their nieces and nephews.

Fear forgets birthdates, Mom was 44, very near 45 when my last brother was born. I had and aunt who was born near the same time as my cousin. I think Grandma decided no sex after that, a small apartment full of children was pretty hard to manage.

A several years ago a shop owner and I became friends, she told me about how she was so happy now, but she thought she would never get married, she ended up marriing at 48 for the first time,she had her first child at 50 and they did it the hard way, practice practice practice. She was in her 70's , still working and her youngest son had just graduated from college, but you couldn't tell me she was that old, the woman was younger than many women in their teens, I loved to talk to her.

Then I had a friend who became pregnant accidentally at 45 for the first time and had an abortion because she was "too old" and not married (he wanted to, she was hesitent because of the 18 year age difference, he was younger), she really regrets it a lot today, a few years later she had cancer and the radiation and chemo pretty much ended her chances of changing her mind.

I know that they have predicted we will have ran till midday tomorrow. I just hoping on my drive to work that the usual low spots are not trouble. There is one section on the x-way that when it rains alot has problems. I am just praying that the sun will shine the rest of the week with temps in the 70's for my sons wedding on Saturday. The same prayer for Akim and her wedding. Picked up my dress, had to have it shorten, my husband got his tux today, my middle son flies in on Thurs. and I have not seen him since Feb. Got my house cleaned for guest this coming weekend, just need to grocery shop, and I think I am ready. My shoes for the wedding are 4 inch high. I am taking a pair that is a inch shorter but a wedge instead of a high heal so I can change after the mother/son dance. Hey, I am actual with them on maybe about 5'3.

I know that they have predicted we will have ran till midday tomorrow. I just hoping on my drive to work that the usual low spots are not trouble. There is one section on the x-way that when it rains alot has problems. I am just praying that the sun will shine the rest of the week with temps in the 70's for my sons wedding on Saturday. The same prayer for Akim and her wedding. Picked up my dress, had to have it shorten, my husband got his tux today, my middle son flies in on Thurs. and I have not seen him since Feb. Got my house cleaned for guest this coming weekend, just need to grocery shop, and I think I am ready. My shoes for the wedding are 4 inch high. I am taking a pair that is a inch shorter but a wedge instead of a high heal so I can change after the mother/son dance. Hey, I am actual with them on maybe about 5'3.

I have an extra pair of shoes too...have a pair of ballerina flats to wear at the reception, no way am I going to be wearing heels all day. Keeping everything crossed that the weather clears up by Saturday. Sounds like you are going to be busy; I am not having anyone stay at my house; but I guess I should get it clean just in case. My hubby picks up his tux on Thursday.

Kim

Ohio is having lots of wind today - many in Columbus area without power, plus lots of damage from downed trees. Luckily, where I am, no power outages (yet) that I know of. So far no rain.

And another day of doing manual labor at the nursery! Hee! Sales are sooo tough. Everyone wanted to buy the trees in the 15 gallon cans. I feel like i've been lifting weights all day!

I was watching MSNBC on Friday night and they had a spokesman from the power company in Houston. If I remember correctly he said that everyone with "overhead" lines would take longer to restore. But that the first priority is hospitals, police and fire department, etc. (probably government buildings, data centers and utility companys) Then they would have recovery crews driving through neighborhoods and assessing damages and coming up with priority lists. They also said they had called in quite a few 100 additional workers to assist in the restoral. BUT - he said it would be at least 2 weeks before all power was restored and maybe more depending on the extent of the damage. At that point the power was out (because I was talking to Scarlett on the phone and relaying the information) and the storm had not touched down yet. So the power company may have been expecting the worst with their plan and maybe it wasn't as bad as they thought. Haven't really paid attention since then.

Just a comment on the folks that apparently still look on Clay as someone who needs protection or guidance or whatever words you want to use. They are seriously underestimating him - that's all I can say!!! I think when he was first on AI he was not very world-wise, but there wasn't anything lacking in his intelligence. I can't quote this but I know I've read where Clay always wanted to know how things worked with the tapings and recordings, etc. I think he got smart to the industry very, very quick! That doesn't mean to say that he has complete control over his career, but I'll bet he has a say in pretty much everything he does. The label might still be able to insist on "stuff" but as for his appearances, etc. I would bet Krispy Kremes to dollars that he has the final "yay or nay" on that. I also never thought he was the goody-two-shoes or sheltered invididual that many thought. That doesn't mean he can't project a wholesome image - which is what he's always stated he wanted to do. I think by now we're all aware of the fact there's the Clay on stage and the Clay offstage. We just don't really know Clay "offstage" because that's his private life.

I guess I haven't read anywhere that some people dislike Jaymes and want her away from Clay! But then I've always thought that any woman who got close to Clay was going to be disliked by some. But quite frankly, isn't that true of any male celebrity that has a fanbase made up of women? Part of the gig is the fantasy....or at least it seems like it is!!! Having a woman come along makes it pretty hard to fantasize about him. I think it's going to be interesting over the next year to see what actually comes out - if anything - about Clay's relationship with Jaymes. There certainly are alot of "ifs" that could take place.

And I just want to go on record yet again that I am extremely jealous of the Spam-goers!!! Happy for you - but damn jealous! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I never said there were fans who hated Jaymes; but I do think there are fans who dislike her, blame her for ATDW and the low sales of OMWH and generally feel like she is holding Clay back...I have seen posts referencing the above...but I also think there are fans who are just plain angry about the way Clay's career has gone and need someone to blame and Jaymes has become the "it " girl " in that regards.

Kim

Kim - I changed the word from "hated" to "dislike!" Point taken.

But - no matter what you call it - to blame Jaymes for whatever the mythical "they" think is wrong with Clay's career is yet again treating him like a country bumpkin that doesn't know his own mind. I just can't buy that! I really, really don't see her pulling Clay around with a ring in his nose! I would like to think that he's been a willing participant in most of the decisions about his career. Because I see him as a very intelligent man who makes it his business to learn the business he's in. I think the people that get disappointed in him or think his career is in the toilet are the ones sometimes that are still expecting him to play the role of pop superstar. That might be a gross generalization, but I do think Clay knows what he's doing or doing what he wants to do. I personally don't see that as a comfortable fit for him! I don't know what happened with OMWH. It's a beautiful, beautiful CD and in my mind - quintessential Clay Aiken. It could be the times, it could be the music isn't what people want to here, it could be alot of things. But my guess is Clay will have learned from whatever happened or didn't happen.

By the way, saw on the Comcast homepage this morning that Ruben Studdard owes the government $200,000 in back taxes. That made me sad.

Sorry claygasm for assigning the wrong word to you. I guess I was too busy today and got the feeling that it was distasteful to you. My bad. I've got some taxes I need to get done today and I've been reading too fast.

Thank you for the apology. I guess we all from time to time see a poster's name and read what they say with pre-conceived notions about what they actually mean. I know I have. I only said something because what you deduced was so far from what I meant I didn't want anyone thinking that is what I meant.

Besides, I wasn't even talking about MY feelings, but rather how the media/music world etc might see things.

And just for the record, when most women have babies in their 20's, it is by definition unusual for women to have babies when they're 50, or in their 40's. Not unheard of, just unusual.

Oh I understand what you are saying CG but closed minds are on the people with the closed minds. Yes Clay may have to deal with the consequences but what else can he do but live his life the way he wants to. I wonder what he'd prefer, understanding and support from strangers or Parker.

Oh I totally agree with you, couchie. Which is why I said:

Listen, one of the things I have always loved about Clay is that for the most part he has chosen to live his life as he wants to and if that means not conforming to what the music world or general public - or even his fans - want, then so be it.

Seems to me like we're saying the same thing!

Has anyone watched "Fringe"??? Scary, creepy. and very good!

Kim - I changed the word from "hated" to "dislike!" Point taken.

But - no matter what you call it - to blame Jaymes for whatever the mythical "they" think is wrong with Clay's career is yet again treating him like a country bumpkin that doesn't know his own mind. I just can't buy that! I really, really don't see her pulling Clay around with a ring in his nose! I would like to think that he's been a willing participant in most of the decisions about his career. Because I see him as a very intelligent man who makes it his business to learn the business he's in. I think the people that get disappointed in him or think his career is in the toilet are the ones sometimes that are still expecting him to play the role of pop superstar. That might be a gross generalization, but I do think Clay knows what he's doing or doing what he wants to do. I personally don't see that as a comfortable fit for him! I don't know what happened with OMWH. It's a beautiful, beautiful CD and in my mind - quintessential Clay Aiken. It could be the times, it could be the music isn't what people want to here, it could be alot of things. But my guess is Clay will have learned from whatever happened or didn't happen.

By the way, saw on the Comcast homepage this morning that Ruben Studdard owes the government $200,000 in back taxes. That made me sad.

I feel the same way...I just think a lot of fans had fantasies about the way Clay's career and his life were going to be and are just really disappointed that it hasn't turned out the way they hoped and just need to blame someone or something...for some it is RCA, for some it is Jaymes and I think for a select few, Clay himself.

I am just enjoying this ride and look forward to where it is going to take us; Clay is an enigma and endlessly fascinating and I think this fandom would be pretty boring if he wasn't.

Kim

Have to give a shout out to my Cubbies...Carlos Zambrano just no-hit Houston in Milwaukee...first no-hitter for the Cubs since Milt Pappas in 1972.

I was so nervous, I couldn't even watch the 9th inning; just paced around the kitchen until it was over! :woohoo:, :woohoo:

:thbighug-1: to all the Houston fans.

Kim

I remember that in 1972, Kim! Woo hoo, indeed.

Thanks to all for the basement advice. I'm buying a lot of bleach tomorrow, making some calls, and hoping the water recedes. I think it's likely I'll be doing some appliance shopping too. Really surprised me when the chest freezer started floating, darn, that must have had some good insulation, but that will be the cheapest thing to replace.

ETA: audson, basements are certainly the norm in my vicinity, some houses, however are on slabs. Basements are useful for a tornado storm shelter.