#40: He simply makes me smile when I see him.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• He looks great, he looks happy and healhty...me likey, me happy!
    • He makes me go broke with a smile on my face!
    • He is excessively, endlessly, adorably CUTE!!!!!!!!
    • God the voice is gorgeous. I'll never take it for granted.
    • Break open those piggy banks! Remember - if you choose to rob a bank, just don't wear a Clay Aiken t-shirt!
    • Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!
    • Clay has some serious mojo!!!
    • He sings. He dances. He talks. He wears PANTS! verra, verra niiiicely. The rest is just noise!
    • Someone take the measure of that man!
    • Who CARES? He's hot!!!
    • But in the final analysis - he could be bald and I would still love him.
    • Is there ever enough Clay?
    • He's Clay, you know. The hotness intensifies as time goes by.

jazzgirl, while you're shopping, you might want to buy some breathing masks, too. They're white filter like material. Not expensive. And if you're going to breathing mould (mold?) and/or bleach, the masks might be a good idea. Just to keep your breathing passages from getting irritated. If you have allergies, it might help stave off sinus issues, too.

Good luck!

If you really want basement advice

I found that water came into my basement 4 different ways.

1) the window, the most common and most recent way - my neighbors, nice people taht they are, raised their property 1 foot and them mulched like mad people. Although raising their property 1 foot should be enough, it isn't the mulch flows into the side of my house and raised the ground level to the window and/or backs up the water to the window level and the water actaully flows in the window. I need to go out in a rain storm and dig out the property tot he fron (30 feet+ some) to allow the water to drain. This was my latest issue.

2) washing machine - kinda sorta dropped the drain pipe and it was so low the washing machine tried to fill all night, woke up to 6 inches of water in the basement and at the end of the quarter, got a strangley large water bill. Make sure drain is in place before doing laundry.

3) Once and only once, it had rained for 2 weeks and then we got a hurricane, it actually bubbled up through the floor because the ground was so saturated.

4) Mystery river water - during one rains storm this year where we were getting 4 inches an hour or something strange, a river ran through my basement, it kept pouring in, I could not find it, the only way to dry the basement, was not to mop it up, but to open the drain in the floor. When I woke in the morning, the water wasstill running past that drain - I never sound the source. I think I found a recent crack inteh foundation, but it was not problem in any of the huge rains stormes since. I live on a hilll, I have no idea how water accumulated and came in this time.

Things to be careful of when youhave water in the basement, that it never rises to the floor plugs! you could get electricuted! My lowest plug is a foot off the floor, so it is not a problem so far. Juist be very careful about electricity.

Are basements neccessary in cold climates?

I know some people with crawl space, but it seems iffy, you need to go below the freezeline (3 feet) here when you build a house for the supports. You could use pilings, but you don't want to have wood in the ground and it would be a heck of a slab. FUrther north, the freeze line is 5 feet..

Help!!! I got a 160G Classic iPod and have no idea what I'm doing. I want to put some Clay videos on it. Is MP4 the only way to do that? I have lots of .wmv files. Is there any way to load them or do they have to be converted to something else?

And, the first time I synced, I got Fifth Grader just fine (bought from itunes) but my music didn't load. So, I tried again and got the music, but Fifth Grader vanished. What the hey am I doing wrong. I leave for vacation on Wednesday and want my Clay!!!

Thanks!

Ausdon... I grew up in Illinois and everyone had basements. I never asked why, it was just the way houses were built then. You put your furnace down there and sometimes other appliances and it was a place to go in case of tornados, too. Here in California, basements don't exist. We have to put all the extras in the garage, which is why so many park their cars in the driveway. Sorry, maybe someone else knows more than me... which is all too common! :cryingwlaughter:

can someone tell me why :party20: these dancers look so pissed off?

They're mean. Note the army boots.

*g*

I appreciated the comments but I was wondering if this emoticon referred to something Clay or Clay fan specific. You know like one of those many references only a Clay fan would get?

Are basements necessary in cold climates?

Not necessary but definitely a useful place for the furnace and storage and the laundry room.

Tonite I watched AIRewind and seeing Clay in that unflattering beige suit singing "What the World Needs Now" made me schmoopie. Mmm never had seen nor heard that word until I became a Clay fan. There have been so many changes in his appearance and life in that time. But then it has been over 5 years and 5 years in the life of someone in their 20's is so much longer than it is in my life at my age.

Hope that all you Texans affected by Ike continue to be safe and healthy and for those of you going to Spamalot this weekend I hope that the planes are still leaving on schedule.

Are basements neccessary in cold climates?

I know some people with crawl space, but it seems iffy, you need to go below the freezeline (3 feet) here when you build a house for the supports. You could use pilings, but you don't want to have wood in the ground and it would be a heck of a slab. FUrther north, the freeze line is 5 feet..

Thanks Play (and Liney)!

We don't have basements and I always wondered why some areas needed them.

jazzgirl, while you're shopping, you might want to buy some breathing masks, too. They're white filter like material. Not expensive. And if you're going to breathing mould (mold?) and/or bleach, the masks might be a good idea. Just to keep your breathing passages from getting irritated. If you have allergies, it might help stave off sinus issues, too.

Good luck!

Thanks, great idea on the masks! I think I need to buy a lot of jumbo trash bags too.

If you really want basement advice <snip>

Things to be careful of when youhave water in the basement, that it never rises to the floor plugs! you could get electricuted! My lowest plug is a foot off the floor, so it is not a problem so far. Juist be very careful about electricity. <snip>

Good point, play. I was lucky that when the water receded the first time, I was able to unload the freezer and pull the plug, that is before it started floating. I also had a radio that was in danger of falling in the water and was able to yank the cord and grab the radio, but yes, very scary stuff. The basement filled up again overnight in a virtual flash flood. I had some things propped up, but the props floated, even wooden platforms floated!

Regarding basements, a house I stayed at in the South of France was situated on an old farm. It had a large basement which kept a lot of food fresh, including perishables, for a long time. I thought it was a brilliant idea. It was a kind of large cellar and very cool. Well it was snowing outside... so....

ETA:

I guess not everyone is as excited about Charice as I am - well, I've been a fan of hers ever since I stumbled across her YT vid when I was viewing YouTube videos of Bianca Ryan immediately after she won America's Got Talent. While I thought Bianca was incredible, I thought Charice was better and I just KNEW it was just a matter of time before she was discovered by someone in the music business. I just never imagined it would get this big, this quickly.

This vid made me cry, and you'll see why. Oh, and Parker Aiken's uncle is featured too.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4sRlP-rI0

EATA: The first results show for the Australian Idol Top 12 was on tonight, and Jordin Sparks was a guest performer. I think she will be returning to tour with Alicia Keys. She is only 18 .. looks like she is doing well. Strange, the females in American Idol seem to do better than the males, yet in Australia, the males do so much better. The female winners of Australian Idol have not done well AT ALL. The format here is also changed for 2008... the bottom 3 are announced and they each sing the song they did the previous night, and the audience can vote to save their favourite in the bottom 3. I think this is a good idea as it means we don't have to listen to the Seacrest equivalent repeat the judges comment for each and every contestant. Oh, and don't tell Seacrest this but this year, we have 3 people doing the equivalent of what he does.... Woohoo... next week Cyndi Lauper is here to mentor the Top 11 finalists and she will be singing!!

Forget about pulling plugs - turn off the power to the lower power units, you don't want them live! Most of mine are at 4 feet,still below the 5' window height. I awlays said the warter could go out the window, but thsw house would probably catch fire because the power line to the house is below that.

Problems with sump pumps is that they tend to fail when you lose power. What I do to empty things is open the floor drain.It does not have that trap to stop the gasses (or rats or whatever), so I have to be careful to close it and when I leave it, to put a screen over it to kepp sewers things inthe sewer and cellar things from clogging the drain pipe..

Forget about pulling plugs - turn off the power to the lower power units, you don't want them live! Most of mine are at 4 feet,still below the 5' window height. I awlays said the warter could go out the window, but thsw house would probably catch fire because the power line to the house is below that.

Problems with sump pumps is that they tend to fail when you lose power. What I do to empty things is open the floor drain.It does not have that trap to stop the gasses (or rats or whatever), so I have to be careful to close it and when I leave it, to put a screen over it to kepp sewers things inthe sewer and cellar things from clogging the drain pipe..

Can't get to the breaker box, hence the problem. It's about a 20 foot distance of three foot deep water from the staircase. Never thought about rats coming up the floor drain, yikes! My basement just reminded me of that old movie, The Poseidon Adventure. I'm on a waiting list for a water extraction company. I'm wondering just how long the list is.

The fire department will come and turn off your breaker box for you. They have rubber waders that insulate them from the shock. You need to tell them to just turn off the basement power.

Thanks, play :F_05BL17blowkiss: I'm been feeling like my mind is underwater too.

I love how this board can have conversations about everything. So I'm guessing what I always called a basement wasn't really a basement since it was ground level?

Lotus..no that crazy emoticon is not Clay related. I think some times when I went in search of emoties I was just in a bad mood. :cryingwlaughter:

Well, I don't know about wading around in water with electricity, but we had flooding twice in our area and the first time the electric company told everyone to turn off the power, but the SECOND time, they told us it wasn't necessary and to just leave the power on. However, I sure wounldn't be touching anything with power while the water is high.

I am going to suggest the Homestead inn in Secaucus again for people who can't take the sticker shock of NYC.

There are two double beds wioth a sleeper sofa for under 2 00 a night and has an NYC bus at the door, that cost $3 to get to nyc and runs from 5 AM to ! am every day, less on Sunday.The longest between busses is 30 minutes, but mostly duringthe day, every 15 minutes.

You can probably get discounts. They don't have a lot of service because of long staying customers, but they do have an indoor heated pool and full kitchens, even though the rooms are small. Movie theater and restaraunts (cheap to very cheap) in walking distance.

It is not a favorite hotel for people there. but I didn't see anything bad, just slow service, linens change weekly for long stays.Homestead inn

Yea bottlecap for the reminder. Is the CH having a cellcert? I don't believe I renewed. Darn.

FearofH2O1-23-08022-1.jpg

I wonder if Clay will still do the stagedoor appearances? I've been reading at the OFC and some of the fans are really counting on it happening. I won't be disappointed if he doesn't but I think the younger fans are counting on it.

Good Morning Everyone,

4 Days until "Spam, Wonderful, Spam!"

:woohoo:

12 Days until Clay is Partying with Paula!

33 Days until The BAF Gala!

39 Days until Clay is Roasting Matt Lauer!:woohoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Help!!! I got a 160G Classic iPod and have no idea what I'm doing. I want to put some Clay videos on it. Is MP4 the only way to do that? I have lots of .wmv files. Is there any way to load them or do they have to be converted to something else?

You have to convert them to mp4, you can't load wmvs. There are lots of free converters out there that you can download. I have an 80 gb and I only have 30 gb on it. I need to convert more! Most of mine is audio anyways.

Regarding sump pumps -- if you do have one, get a battery back-up for it. When we moved into our house, we found our sump pump worked perfectly...until the power went out. A disaster was averted because I checked on it when we had an ice storm after a bunch of rain and the water in the pit was thisclose to spilling out. Since then, the batter back-up has been a life saver for us.

Our sump pump has worked overtime this past weekend, but it has survived. I know of a LOT of people though that have had flooding.

bottlecap, thanks for the new countdowns. MUAH!

Well, I get to be the ONLY full-time librarian at my workplace today. Everyone is either sick, jury duty, or dealing with floods. See y'all later!

Regarding sump pumps -- if you do have one, get a battery back-up for it. When we moved into our house, we found our sump pump worked perfectly...until the power went out. A disaster was averted because I checked on it when we had an ice storm after a bunch of rain and the water in the pit was thisclose to spilling out. Since then, the batter back-up has been a life saver for us.

Well, being as we're on the subject.....:lol:....I have the stupidest question of the year! I've lived most of my life out West in the prairies, where before moving here I'd never even SEEN a sump pump. I wondered when I toured the house with the realtor, what the heck that thing was!

So~from someone who's never dealt with them before~who SERVICES sump pumps? The plumber? The electrician? :shrug: Is there maintenance that should be done on them? I've never done anything to mine, but it's been working overtime this year.

Also, the way it drains I think is wrong. It drains fairly close to the house, and I think it's basically just repumping the same water over and over and over, and I'd like to have someone take a look.

Thanks so much for any info!

Whatta ya know... work is good for something afterall: :ilovemypc:

No power at home since a little after 12:00 yesterday afternoon, along with about 580,000 of my closest neighbors in OH, KY & IN. I headed out to get cat food, gas and a car charger for my cell phone. Got the first 2 before the power went off at the shopping centers, had the charger in my hand at Best Buy when the power went out there. Phone was out at home this morning, as well as cell reception. There are trees down EVERYWHERE. Assorted shutters, drain pipes, gutters and shingles on the ground, mixed in with clumps of leaves and branches of all sizes. They clocked some wind gusts upwards of 80 mph yesterday. It was loud and freaky enough to send Gidget running for the bathtub, where she camped out between the shower curtain & liner until about midnight. She was still skittish this morning and growling at every little noise.

Sorry about the flooding problems, jazzgirl. :hugs-1:

I only got about 2 hours of sleep, so I'm off to find coffee. LOTS of coffee.

You have to convert them to mp4, you can't load wmvs. There are lots of free converters out there that you can download. I have an 80 gb and I only have 30 gb on it. I need to convert more! Most of mine is audio anyways.

luckiest... I was afraid of that. I don't have time to do that before I leave on Wed. The one I really want is Sterling Heights' Listen. Do you have that in MP4 and are you willing to share??? I'll do more after I get back. (no laptop)