#41: Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• Life is short! Enjoy the Aiken!
    • We're still having fun, and you're still the one!
    • I hope he's just out there sinning right and left.
    • Yes, I will eat fish with blueberries or anything else he's touched.
    • Anarcho-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync omnivores for Clay Aiken
    • I am not going anywhere except to Spamalot.

I am hoping that some of the ones who are in shock will step back and think.... perhaps the reason Clay was in their life is to teach them tolerance. Clay has taught me a number of things, some things I already knew but needed him to remind me, via LTS and via some other things I read.

At this time in my life, I have rejected organized religion but having had a strict Catholic upbringing, I do know a thing or two about the teachings of the Bible. Someone once explained to me that "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", actually means to accept and understand others as you would want them to accept and understand you. That's the most basic human need, acceptance and understanding. And if I'm not quite there in understanding someone (and I'm often not), then I should at least accept them without judgement. That's the teaching I received.

I have been a CLay fan from the start and a member of this board since 2004. I know many of you from my Clay travels and have enjoyed your company and influence in my life immensely. I felt I owed you my goodbye though lately I had not posted much. Here are my feelings. .....

I love Clay with all my heart and that will never change. I feel nothing but love. However, I am deeply saddened. I know one thing is that I do not hate him. I never will. I will support him but the support I will give til the day I die is that of a different kind. Like Clay, I need to be honest and true to myself. I will support him in prayer but I can't continue to be a fan at this time. I do not agree with his belief about homosexuality or by what I believe to be his choice. Many of you may disagree with me and even rail at me. Your right and I understand. I respect that this has had to be very difficult for him and actually understand why he hid it all even for as long as he did.

However, how I feel and what am I going to do now.....

I am grieving deeply as I will miss that glorious gift of God that is Clay, his voice, his love, his passion. I will miss the fandom. The fun. The comaraderie. I will miss him and I will miss all of you. This tears me apart and pains me greatly. This is one of the most difficult days of my life. I am in deep sorrow that I have to walk away like this now. But I can't stay and live a lie myself, no matter what. No matter how much I love his voice and many things about him. No matter how much I want the experience of being a fan in many ways. I have to do what I believe is right. And no matter how painful that is.

I have given much of the last 5 years to Clay. I have met him 3 times: Book signing, the tour bus and my M&G. I have seen him perform live almost 100 times. I have supported him at other appearances even when he was not singing. I have gone to gala's. I have contributed to UNICEF and the Bubel Aiken Foundation in money and time. I have promoted and defended the man to the hilt in many ways. All choices. My choices. Blessings have been mine the whole time. Though looking back perhaps I gave too much of my life and there has been a down side to my fandom. I have put CLay before God, my husband and my children and friends, often times. But again that was my choice and I believe no good intention, effort, or relationship was a waste. All comes together for the good.

I hope the best for Clay all his life.

I love him and I love you all

With this I say goodbye to Clay and this fanhood

Marge

I found this at the CB, posted on the 24th.

I am so baffled. I just don't understand this kind of judgement, from someone who has seen Clay live almost 100 times. How is this judgement possible, against someone who has made a difference in the lives of so many. One thing I've discovered, I love Clay more this week than I did last week, because he made the right decision for the right reasons, and I admire him for it.

ETA I left her name there. It appears she had put her full name an a mod edited her post to remove her last name. She sure means business. Sheesh.

As unfortunate as this is, that someone so heavily invested in Clay and his interests (BAF, UNICEF) feels compelled to leave the fandom, I have to say I respect her decision. She coherently and respsectfully said her piece. She didn't bash him or Jaymes, or rail against him, took full responsibility for her decision. I can totally understand her comment 'I put him before God, my husband and my children'. There have been times in the past 5 years that I know I did, too. In restrospect I'm kicking myself for it, but Clay was an escape and solace for me during a very difficult couple of years.

Wrong or right, I respect that she's affirming her beliefs and putting her money where her mouth is. How much better for someone to do this than to rail against him, call him a liar, say they've lost repsect and trust in him, yet continue to be a fan and poison the message boards.

JMHO.

Oh, and good morning FCA! :F_05BL17blowkiss: I'm downloading Paula's Party now. Is it taking anyone else and hour and a half to download? I'm supposed to have high speed internet.

OK, Ron is laughing his ass off about:

- calling Clay a gift from God, and then returning that gift because of, um, religious beliefs and such

- long-ass judgmental posts about how judgmental Jaymes is - CHSU, seriously!

- people who think being snippy, judgmental, vile, bossy, or whatever, on ANY board, are gonna

actually affect what Clay and Jaymes do in their own lives. Or that it should - what delusional hubris!

- people who have somehow missed the point of a FAN board and try and use it as a conduit to give him

orders or castigate him and/or Jaymes

Ron is also assuming that if the people who are judgmental, vile, and think they they are in a position to be advising him and Jaymes on what they should be doing with their lives are that way in person - that they have very few friends, or else their friends are exactly like them, and a typical gathering must be like inquisition judges planning their next raid or something.

Or perhaps this is what the Salem witchcraft trials were like - best to have thrown those accusing monsters in the pond.

I always assumed part of that whole thing was just jealousy of young girls, but that's cynical old me :-)

See, I guess what I would do if I was Clay is let the negative bitches have their spew, don't read it, just flush it down the toilet on a regular basis. Meanwhile, at least they are not out in the street frightening or haranguing horses or children.

Or could it be that they would never be that unpleasant with actual people, face to face, and the internet just frees their inner asshole? Hmmmmm.....

Good grief, can y'all imagine sitting around the dinner table listening to that shit? I'd have their asses out on the sidewalk in milliseconds, there is really no point to it. It is unhealthy.

Glad to hear Clay did the stage door thing.

Are the usual people who were sitting front and center, texting with Clay at intermission and such, still appearing every night? I confess to being curious about the alternate universe they live in.

Spam927E_3.jpg

That just made me smile. Look at that cute guy. Clay too :cryingwlaughter: And you know...cute cuy has friends and coworkers and family too. Maybe he'll start clayverting as well!

I resemble that remark. :cryingwlaughter: I may have to add karate to my exercise routine.

bwah..now that's motivation to exercise eh? So I can bump my way to the front of the line of the stage door.

Good Morning Everyone,

Love the banner! So glad to hear Clay did the stagedoor, can't wait to see video!

20 Days until The BAF Gala! :yahoo:

26 Days until Clay is Roasting Matt Lauer! :yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Kim can you add the number of days left that free speech remains at the OFC :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Those who are driven by that kind of extreme attitude really scare me, it shows they are not capable of rational thinking and allow no room for flexibility. It's the same kind of thinking that drive terrorists to do what they do. Sorry to put it that way but that's how dangerous I think it is. In the same farewell speech, she says she had put Clay before God, her husband, children etc. Heck, does that make sense? Weird.

And that's why she's left reeling. While I hate her attitude, I hope she starts paying attention to her own family but unfortunately she will pass on this attitude to her kids and grandkids.

I'm not surprised at this. But look at that new fresh fast at the stage door. Good riddance. And I'm also glad she had her say and left. Even with that tome, she's a damn sight better than some at the OFC.

That just made me smile. Look at that cute guy. Clay too And you know...cute cuy has friends and coworkers and family too. Maybe he'll start clayverting as well!

Hee my first thought was dang more competition for the front row and my second was I can hear the heads exploding now! And then the important thought....he looks mighty fine!! Love the hair.

Another quickie post without catching up...

:F_05BL17blowkiss: jmh! I was hoping someone had your cell phone number to call you....guess not. But in a way, I'm sure it had to be interesting to learn the news via seeing the People magazine cover first. I'm guessing you've not seen the two GMA clips yet. You're in for a treat, IMO.

I saw GMA the first at the hotel, once, and GMA the second at Richard's, once. His internet connection is too slow to download it, so multiple viewings are ahead for me when I get home. YAY. And I want to hear Baby Mine multiple times.

Seeing People first was definitely the way to learn about it--we could go straight to the article and read it multiple times over dinner, and then go see the man himself. No rumors, no wondering or speculating (except what we did ourselves about why GMA, and did they say People cover??) I'm glad lilyshine told the David Hibbard story--that was so cute.

jmh - I'm pretty sure I was standing across the barriers from you on Wednesday evening? Dang - I thought it was you, but I had no idea you were in NYC so figured it was a lookalike, lol. Sorry we didn't get to say HI. It really was quite surreal to be 'there' for this. I so wish we could've seen Clay 'in person' just to say WE LOVE YOU!

I thought that might be you, but weren't you blonde before?? I hadn't heard you were going to be there either. LOL. It was surreal, and I was so glad to be there even though the chances he had any awareness of my little teeny "go Clay" vibe are remote. I so wanted him to come out so we could show the love, but I hope he felt it anyway.

He looks so cute and happy in that picture - thanks!

As far as passing on attitudes and beliefs - my sister loves Clay and doesn't find the gay declaration all that interesting, she loves Clay's voice, and was never one to get interested in sexual orientation except as one item about a person, along with how nice they are, what they do for a living, etc. Doesn't define people. Her daughter forbids any Clay (or George Michael, she is certainly not prejudiced against just Clay) music in the house, on ipods, etc., because she does not want her children listening to a gay singer.

They have fights about it - not about Clay hisself, but the attitude. Heh, and if we go by the chapter of her bible that she quotes, we would get to stone her self-righteous ass to death.

Which she freely admits, but then says well, we just believe in certain PARTS of our scripture.

Cotton, Ron is the god of Irony and Hypocrisy - a minor Norse god, I believe - he has been assigned to the Clay fandom, but is usually too incapacitated by laughter, amazement, or oh-no-she-didn't! to properly smite folks in the ass with lightning bolt or a spork to do his job correctly.

He is really fun to hang out with!

Just posting good morning (eeep, it's almost 10 here) and sending hugs to the brave ones who venture elsewhere... I'm off to get some plants & garden stuff.

:nature-smiley-014:

Great to have stage door pics! Now, where's the video?

I think that posts like Marge's are part of the reason it took so long for Clay to come out of the closet. He had to know that revealing his sexuality would result in this type of massive rejection, and for someone who had been ostracized and rejected all his life (even by his own father), it can't have been easy to set himself up for more.

He did lie. He did make a statement that was not accurate. But what saddens me is that some cannot find the compassion to try and understand how hard it must have been in his situation. They aren't even trying to see things from his point of view.

I do think that some fans have been over invested in Clay, and that a few, have been particularly invested the idea of him as straight. A few have spent so much time and energy defending him that they suddenly feel foolish for doing so, and so have apparently decided to blame him. They ignore the fact that he never asked them to defend his sexuality. They don't want to admit it, but this is about them than about Clay. It's about their image of who they wanted Clay to be.

The OFC is tough to take. I do think that the majority of fans are supportive. However, because Clay has allowed that message board to become a dumping ground of negative emotion, it's become increasingly unpleasant to endure. I understand why he feels that it might be therapeutic for fans to be able to vent. However, as I posted there (before I couldn't take it anymore), I just hope that he realizes that the message board is not representative of the fandom as a whole.

But it is good to see that he's back at the stage door.

Ron, the god of irony. Doesn't actual smite people, but rolls his eyes a lot.

The CB person I can respect oddly enough - she's not nasty, she's not mean. I think she's misinformed but you know what? Rome wasn't built in a day. She does seem to feel Clay was a "gift from God" (though not Ron) - and choosing to reject that gift. I'm sure she also knows [some] Christians believe God gave them free will as well.

Man, I love dark haired Clay! He doesn't look so much like a Ken doll to me anymore.

And I got my tickets to Japan for Christmas - will be going to see my child (the 24th through the 31st). All who have done the Japan thing, what are the seven big things (besides Mt. Fuji) I need to see and do? The boy will follow me around obediently.

As for that poster from the CB...it's her choice, and I'm actually OK that she's made the choice. Do I understand her reasoning? Nope, and it makes me sad as a Christian that she feels this way. (Clay's mention on Friday about the stereotypes of Christians rang very true for me, and I was glad for him to try and clarify that.) But I actually don't fault her for making that choice, as long as she follows through on it. There's been a bunch of people in this fandom who have said "I don't like what he's doing, I'm leaving," only to come roaring back and making life a living hell for others who simply want to enjoy Clay. JMO of course.

Unfortunately, the lovely CB poster did NOT leave it at that; this same note was posted at OFC and was, I believe followed up by more in detail posts quoting scripture and verse. Granted, over there she was of course provoked. But at that point my sympathy for her took a trip to Denmark. Or somewhere.

Very sad and misinformed. She seems to think that he chose to be a homosexual. She apparently has no knowledge of genetics. Does she think that when people are born they get asked which they'd like to be--gay or straight? They don't get to choose this any more than they get to choose whether they are male or female, tall or short, or blond or brunette.

When I was young I always wanted to be tall, blonde and blue eyed with dead straight hair. Now I just want to be thin!!

See I have always wanted to think the word "christian" was an all encompassing term meaning you were a good person and lived a good life. It really for me is not about what faith you are or aren't and this is an example of why I think this way. When my grandmother died when I was in my 20s. My DH paid for my DD and I to fly back to England even though we really couldn't afford it. At the funeral her SIL and BIL didn't come. They told us it was because it was raining. Now they had a car and it was about 5 miles from their house. My Mum's friend lived 25 miles away, left 3 young children with her neighbour, took three buses to get to that funeral to support my Mother who was having a really bad time. Her friend didn't have any organized religious beliefs left any more (she had come from Holland after the war and saw a lot of inhumanity during that time.) My grandmother's relations were devout Baptists who went to church 3 times a week but didn't show enough compassion to support us when we needed it. Did it matter that my mother's friend had no belief system? No I think she did the "christian" thing.

Treating anyone with caring,respect and dignity is not about any religion. Oh and yes she got a ride home!

WORD!!

I am hoping that some of the ones who are in shock will step back and think.... perhaps the reason Clay was in their life is to teach them tolerance. Clay has taught me a number of things, some things I already knew but needed him to remind me, via LTS and via some other things I read.

Oh, I love that!....and completely agree! I know he's taught me more than I would ever have dreamed, and this episode is only reinforcing the teachings.

....and on that note....Pyloric Stenosis

This was very interesting to read, actually, because I now realize my oldest son had this same condition (but probably not as bad as Parker); it was not treated with surgery.

Thanks for the Ron info. Didn't know Ron was watching over Clay and his fans.

Sometimes I'm too literal for my own good.

:)

Oh, and JennaZ?

Don't you know they're not upset about Clay lying.

They're upset about him lying about lying.

:clown_4:

And the gerbil wheel is fighting with the Energizer Bunny for world domination.

Ack!

I understand why he feels that it might be therapeutic for fans to be able to vent.

I think the people who are venting are just really ramping up, I don't think it is helping. They are not gonna change.

Ooooooh! KAndre!!!!!!!!!!! I am soooooooo jellus! I have been to Japan about 10 times! Tokyo, Kawasaki, and Yokohama, mostly, with a very few side trips.

I would go back this afternoon.

I did not do much tourist stuff, I was working, but lemme think about it.....I mostly just hopped on a subway or JRLine and took off, on the weekends.

Christmas in Japan is really pretty - 8 bajillion lights, Christmas carols, etc. - but the actual day, of course, is not a holiday, all though people still give gifts and stuff.

Ask if you can get to the Millinario lights in Tokyo, while you are there - a block or two of walking under an amazing canopy of lights, it was first done for 2000, I think they still do that! And make sure you buy food from the vendors in the big department stores and/or major train stations - really fresh food! Gyoza! Sushi!

Things that look like very large squid bodies stuffed with rice! That turn out to be very large squid bodies stuffed with rice!

Read Dave Barry's "Dave Barry Goes to Japan" - it is hilarious, and he nailed it perfectly.

Scarlett would love the fruit, but it is expensive, and grown more for size and beauty than for taste.

Unfortunately, the lovely CB poster did NOT leave it at that; this same note was posted at OFC and was, I believe followed up by more in detail posts quoting scripture and verse. Granted, over there she was of course provoked. But at that point my sympathy for her took a trip to Denmark. Or somewhere.

OK then forget what I said about her. I respect anyone who can just leave. That they not shit all of him on their way out the door. If you're not around to hear what the rest of us are saying, then there's no need to explain yourself further.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

not the sideburns heee

Love the stage door. He's lookin' good.

So I was trying the mushy thing and decided to listen to 09/01 Atlantic City I Can't Make You Love Me (a song I was totally meh to until I heard Clay sing it). Then I listended to Fantasy ('cause I like it). Then 2004 Miami When I Need You 'cause I needed some fantasy fodder. Then Grease because he sounds damn good. Then I watched "To Love Somebody" because those are still the hottest eyefucks directed at I've ever seen in my life (and yes, he was looking at me personally. Y'all just happened to be lucky enough to be looking at him looking at me). And then I did about 35 more songs. I frickin' love almost everything Clay's put out, past and present. I really do. Pre-AI, AI, MOAM, ATDW, OMWH, all the Xmas stuff. He just sounds so good.

I am making notes of all selections - anybody know if it would be interesting to try a capsule hotel just to say I did it?

ETA:

I'm on Vincent - a song I absolutely HATED with McLean (is that who wrote it?) - but damn Clay's voice is just so very gorgeous....

Now that just sucks! It's fine for her to believe what she wants to believe and leave the fandom if that's what her conscience dictates. It's not fine for her to keep stating it over and over again. It's like she's trying to force someone to believe her beliefs. That's where I lose patience and sympathy, too.

I loved Clay's comment about some people having minds so open that they circle around and close back in on themselves. I've been thinking about that a lot this morning. I hadn't really thought much about people being so open-minded that they become closed-minded about closed-minded people. Does that make sense?

Who is Jess McVargas?

Can y'all tell I'm procrastinating about doing laundry, mopping, cleaning up the yard, and paying bills? Someone please kick me out of here so I can do something productive....

De-lurking to say I don't know if anyone caught the end of SNL but at the end Amy Poehler came out wearing a Clay Aiken shirt. She even pointed to his name while the credits were rolling. I thought I was done crying but I'm now tearing up all over again. Or Amy is having Clay's baby too.

ETA: No nothing else was said. I expected them to make a joke during Weekend Update but they didn't do anything.

So proud of Clay. Thank god for this board and a few others because the OFC has got me so down. I'm really sick of the lying debate.

I think that people in the business realize that as a "sex symbol" with a huge female following, it took real courage for Clay to come right out and say "I'm gay." I expect that he has a lot of support right now. There are many, many people in the entertainment industry who are never that brave. They hide behind their fake wives and girlfriends and live lies. I'm so very thankful that Clay doesn't have to do that.

Now that just sucks! It's fine for her to believe what she wants to believe and leave the fandom if that's what her conscience dictates. It's not fine for her to keep stating it over and over again. It's like she's trying to force someone to believe her beliefs. That's where I lose patience and sympathy, too.

See it all comes back to the me, me, me syndrome. I've said my piece, bye bye, oh but wait I really have to tell you more about how I feel, bye bye, oh just one more thing about me and then I really am outta here! Oh but..........

Go already! I'm sorry but I'm running short on sympathy for those people. If what he is is so abhorrent to you then why are you sticking around? It's sure as heck not to work it out because you have already said you can't tolerate it. Leave room for those that are struggling and coming to terms with it.

I am making notes of all selections - anybody know if it would be interesting to try a capsule hotel just to say I did it?

Um, no. And Tokyo hotels are very expensive, plus they add on more taxes than a Florida car rental does.

Ten years ago, my hotel room at, for example, The Dai Ichii Annex, was about $250 a night, plus tax - and the Annex was waaaay cheaper than the Dai Ichi itself, next door, the annex was bare-bones, for business people.

Are you staying in a hotel?

I noticed the expensiveness - and in my heart of hearts, I'm cheap. Not cheap enough to tolerate a lot of the local wildlife (see: Guangzhou) but cheap. I'll probably only spend three nights in Tokyo proper - am looking at something called Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku at $133/night and has lots of good reviews on TripAdvisor. Hopefully, Kyoto and whatever other city I might hit will be cheaper.