#41: Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• Life is short! Enjoy the Aiken!
    • We're still having fun, and you're still the one!
    • I hope he's just out there sinning right and left.
    • Yes, I will eat fish with blueberries or anything else he's touched.
    • Anarcho-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync omnivores for Clay Aiken
    • I am not going anywhere except to Spamalot.

I wish I could take my DIARRHEA to the OFC and post it. Honestly, I was just there trying to see if there was an improvement and some looney posted this long list about why she believed Clay was straight (GET OVER IT!) and couldn't be gay. The list included such gems as he wore a WWJD bracelet, said he had good morals, didn't drink, smoke, or curse, joked with a man about a beautiful wife, etc., etc. It was so offensive, I could feel the rumble starting up in my intestines.

To check out the other end of the Japanese toilet spectrum, the next time you're in NYC (say, for Spam) go visit the Food Network kitchens where he and Paula threw flour on each other. Right next door is Miyamoto's restaurant. Order somethings small or maybe just a drink and then check out the restrooms -- or maybe just say you have an emergency (of wanda's type) and you REALLY need to use the restroom.

It'll be downstairs. The toilet will indicate that it's happy to see you by opening and playing music. No, you won't need toilet paper because there'll be about 16 buttons (2 rows of 8 or so) along the side -- water of various temparatures, directions and pressure level (think of the options on your shower head) and then the same number of buttons for air to dry you off. No, you won't need toilet paper. All it lacks is a guy to come in and check on the lights, lol!

ETA: Wanda, the other posts over there are far stinkier than your diarrhea one. Good of you to try, though.

All it lacks is a guy to come in and check on the lights

:cryingwlaughter:

All it lacks is a guy to come in and check on the lights, lol!

I'm sure for a small tip that could be arranged.

Wanda those posters listing his follies & foibles are the ones that said immediately they were out of there. The one must have done hours of research to get her two post list. Or did she have a sneaking suspiscion all along and was ready. Hmm doesn't that make her a bit of a hypocrite?

Oh, fucking hell--I just read through the infamous lists again and realize that I'm the exact opposite for most things--wouldn't be caught dead wearing a WWJD bracelet, cuss, drink, have shitty morals.....and so on! You know what that means......

I'm GAY!!!!!

I never even knew.......all those wasted years lusting after men!

What was I thinking????

ETA: I must go over to OFC and come out.

I have met Marge on several occassions. She was an uber fan and had more close encounters with Clay than most fans. One of the things I am struck with in her post is that she says she believes that homosexuality is a choice and implies that Clay made that choice. But then she says :

I respect that this has had to be very difficult for him and actually understand why he hid it all even for as long as he did.

For those who think it is a choice, should there not be some cognitive dissonance with making a choice that was "very difficult for him"? Why would someone make a choice that would make one's life "very difficult." In my mind it should cause one to pause.

I think in reading the People article it appeared that Clay also once had the beliefs that homosexuality was a choice. And this may have been one of the reasons that he may have been relatively late to admitting to himself that he was gay. He hadn't made the choice. His remarks that it (homosexuality) is "in the code up there" (loved how he said that) shows that he has had a shift in his thinking. But I am sure this was not an overnight thing. But a shift in his thinking did occur.

Scroll alert: Playing academic

Piaget's developmental theory about how children learn is that they form ideas about the world by taking in new information and fitting them into concepts they currently have (assimilation) but after awhile they find that the information they are assimilating really doesn't fit the concepts they have (cognitive dissonance) and they need to form new ones(accommodation). I teach my students that the process of accommodation continues through life if we are open to new experiences and ideas.

I attended an interfaith banquet this past week organized by indviduals of the Muslim faith. The guest speaker was Dr. Leonard Swindler, Professor of Catholic thought and inter-religious dialogue from Temple University. The events of the evening took longer than planned and when it was time to speak, he changed his original topic (similarities among Christian, Muslim, and Jewish faiths) and talked instead about the "sociology of knowledge" and "dialogue'. About the sociology of knowledge he said that instead of thinking "you must be mistaken, you must see things my way" when presented to another's perspective, we might think instead "I talk to you to learn something from your side and you talk to me to learn something from my side." He described dialogue as "I want to talk with you because you think differently and I can learn something." He said that until recently the world has engaged in monologues-We talk with others who think the way I do. He said the world must move towards dialogues.

As I sat entranced by his presentation, taking notes on the promotional materials at my table, I kept thinking about Clay and the divergent views and the struggles of the fandom. There has been monologue across the boards, that is for sure but I have also seen lots of dialogue. Posters are thanking other posters for presenting a perspective they hadn't considered. I pray for the dialogue to continue. And for accommodation to occur.

I have to remind myself that even when I don't agree with a person's view, if I listen only to those with views like mine, I will learn nothing knew.

End of mini-lecture

And now for something completely different...

YEA PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post, cagney - especially the bolded part! :00000442:

cagney, that was a fabulous post.

And it makes what I am about to write a little easier, since I hope it adds to the "dialog" here. Please don't judge me as being to intolerant, although what I'm about to say may come across that way. I love Clay. He's got a gorgeous voice, he's hella cute, wicked funny, and whip smart. As Jeff Foxworthy noted, he's a quality human being.

But...

I just can't pretend with you guys. So, here goes:

Even for Clay's sake, I don't think I can ever what that Paula episode again. The woman was like nails on a chalkboard to me. The sight of the blue-crusted black seabass or whatever it was made me gag. Clay needed to tuck in his shirt. I think I'd rather eat djs111's "very large squid bodies stuffed with rice" than sit through that again. Heck, I'd rather read at the OFC for an hour than sit through that again.

I hope you guys can find it in your hearts to forgive me for having to say this stuff, as I know it may be difficult for you to read. Maybe I torched a puppy here for some of you. (But not Bookwhore's lil' cutie!) I suppose Ron the God of Irony is getting a good laugh out of my predicament.

Woo - that was painful, but cathartic! :cryingwlaughter:

===============================================================

Things I love about this fandom:

(1) Even the non-Clay discussions at the boards are generally interesting and highly entertaining. I can understand how some posters who can't reconcile with Clay's new reality would have a hard time giving that up.

(2) No matter how crazy you think you are for participating in all things Clay, there's guaranteed to be somebody way more nuts than you are. Always a good thing, in my book

(5), er (3) The shared experience - the history, the language, the humor and now the Spamisms. Another thing that would be tough to ever give up. And hopefully, those that feel like they need to take a break right now will find they miss this stuff too, and can work their way back.

Seriously, world travel plans, religion, puppies, and Clay's sideburns are hot topics today. How could you ever give that up for long?

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

:cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter:

Although you did give me a scare when I started reading your post....

Pretty sure blueberries and fish were NOT ever meant to go together. Talk about an abomination. BLEYUCK!!

OMG. Do you think maybe, just maybe, Clay LIED when he said he thought that was good?

yeah he lied and he is so going to hell! But I look at it like this... he's an even better actor than I thought cuz he actually looked like he enjoyed it....hell maybe he did..IT WAS FRIED. Some things never change.

hee.

:cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter:

There were those lovely squat toilets when I was in Egypt. I heard tales about them. Thankfully, I have the bladder of a camel, so I was able to wait until we got to the nice hotels!

Its rather amusing over here today! Hallelujah! :lilredani:

ETA: Clay has a rather strange look on his face in the banner picture with Jaymes. I wonder if Parker just soiled himself!

But Scarlett that was when there were just nasty rumours about us and we were OMG lying!!!!!!! Now the truth is out!

On second thought, I don't think anyone will buy it given that we've been setting up an OFC spa/alternative lifestyle camp since June.

Clay has a rather strange look on his face in the banner picture with Jaymes. I wonder if Parker just soiled himself!

You know, a good actor would always be observing the people around him in order to find new actions or mannerisms or whatnot that add depth to his performances. Based on recent experiences with my great niece, diaper soiling can sometimes be quite an elaborate production. If Clay is suddenly adding new nuances to Sir Robin's pant-crapping shtick, we can probably attribute that to Parker. (Extra credit if Clay can make his eyes red while he's doing it.)

Squid and shit - just another typical Sunday at FCA.

Squid and shit - just another typical Sunday at FCA.

I'm laughing so hard, I can barely type... :hysterical:

I remember my first trip to the South. I kept saying, "Jesus Christ!!! Is there nothing these people don't fry???"

I resemble that remark too!

I think Paula wears wigs. I could be wrong but they never, ever move.

Watching the Amazing Race. With inflation shouldn't they start offering more than a million dollars?

One of the participants looks like Jennifer Hudson.

Quick note - Working on both houses through this week - I don't have time to look for the people who wanted the Easterbonnet playbill- I cleared out my PM box, a bit anyway. So if you still want one and don't hve it - Pm me. When the box is filled, I probablywon't have anymore.

Cleaning house now.

Watching the Amazing Race. With inflation shouldn't they start offering more than a million dollars?

How did you get an on time start?? I've got another two or three minutes - I wonder if this is a DVR issue.....

How did you get an on time start?? I've got another two or three minutes - I wonder if this is a DVR issue.....

It came on right after 60 minutes which was also on time. No DVR on this tv. I'm in NC. Maybe no football game here? I got home at 6:00 so don't know.