#41: Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• Life is short! Enjoy the Aiken!
    • We're still having fun, and you're still the one!
    • I hope he's just out there sinning right and left.
    • Yes, I will eat fish with blueberries or anything else he's touched.
    • Anarcho-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync omnivores for Clay Aiken
    • I am not going anywhere except to Spamalot.

Crap. I was off last Thursday and Friday, and am off today and tomorrow. So, I'll be at work this Thursday and Friday, right when the interview is happening. CRAP. And I'm just getting over a cold, so feigning another one probably won't work.

But at the same time - YES!!! I'd love a new interview. Clay is always surprising and fascinating and handsome and compelling. I WANT a new interview. Even if it does happen while I'm at work. *sniff*

Cotton, I'm glad you're okay! Take care!

Gibby, or someone, could you please please copy the text of the broadway.com article here. It won't open for me.

Here ya go:

There was an invasion on Broadway this weekend, as American Idol star Clay Aiken returned to Spamalot to reprise his role as Sir Robin. Aiken first played the role last Spring, and then left for the summer. His return to the show was greeted with an outpouring of enthusiasm and accolades from fans. The most passionate Aiken fans are known as Claymates and they rival the theatre gangs of long ago.

The celebrated British actor Edmund Kean had "the Wolf Club." Kean's wolves were fans who would drink with him, and hound out theatrical rival actors with the violent tactics more commonly associated with criminal street gangs. The loyal fans of American actor Edwin Forrest and British actor William Macready fought to the literal death spurred on by their loyalty to their respective actor. The Astor Place riots were a real theatrical tragedy caused by passionate fans. Well, Clay Aiken can rest soundly at night knowing that he has his own passionate gang of theatre and Broadway fans known as Claymates, and they are ready to do battle for Clay if need be. From the moment the news of his reprise on Broadway broke, the Claymates have been out in full force supporting their Idol. Katie Holmes doesn't have fans like these. Few people do.

No worries about violence, the Claymates seem more about celebration than intimidation. Those fretting a Shubert Alley Riot with Claymates battling Ace Young Fans or Daniel Radcliffe enthusiasts will be disappointed. Looking over the sea of exuberant comments posted on Broadway.tv, Clay Aiken's return should give all Broadway fans a reason to smile.

"Opening night was amazing, the entire show was magical!," writes Dolly. "Clay brings an excitement to the stage that infects the entire audience and cast. Clay's performance last night was full of joy and everyone seemed to enjoy the night," posts music fan. Bedford posits, "For those of us fortunate enough to have seen this young man in concert, we knew he could do anything he wanted to. We were, once again, amazed at his talent. The entire cast is to be congratulated on making this play so darn funny! Mike Nichols was correct when he said Clay Aiken was an amazing comic actor!" The list of comments seems endless, and a quick trip through the blog will bear witness to the enthusiasm Clay Aiken is bringing to Broadway.

Spamalot is a musical-comedy that embraces the absurd and delights in the unusual. As a recording artist, Aiken clearly has the vocal capacity to interpret any number of musical roles (one fan suggested "Pippin"). That said, that Aiken has chosen to come to Broadway and return to Broadway in this comedy says a great deal for his willingness not to take himself too seriously. His fans' enthusiasm and joy in his performance suggest that Broadway should enjoy taking Clay Aiken very seriously indeed. Like Fantasia igniting The Color Purple, or Reba transforming Annie Get Your Gun!, Clay fits Sir Robin and Spamalot like a glove.

For additional Broadway features visit http://www.broadway.tv/broadway-features-reviews

OMG Cotton! You tell it in such an entertaining way, but that must have been scary and not fun! Yikes! I'm so glad you're OK. It sound just like the kind of thing I would do, BTW, so you aren't the only clumsy one.

I'll be at my BFF Richard's on Friday morning. He's going to love it that within 12 hours after I arrive, 8 of which are spent sleeping, I'm going to make him do a Clay thing. :hysterical:

KAndre does an exuberantly happy dance....

My mom's power is back on! She's gone HOME! No more freakin' Soap Net! Hurrah!

BWAH..this made me LOL

I'm always grateful for whatever he feels comfortable with but hoping to see Parker IIT IIU in case ya'll missed that.

Happy birthday AIKim..you'll never miss your daughter's anniversary will you...so close to your birthday. Hopefully you have a special day today now that the big wedding is over.

Hi all,

Thank you for the birthday wishes and Claymatron my husband's birthday is Sept. 29 so from the 18th on next year it is going to be party central at my house!

Looking forward to the interview; since Clay said in his blog that they were figuring out a way to introduce us to Parker, I am going to assume that he is part of the reason for the interview.

The circumstances in 2006 were so different; trying to put together a CD that kept getting changed, dealing with Clive and then the gnats issues which took over his CD promotion...he had made it pretty clear that his private life was private...but being out of the public eye for so long, he couldn't ignore it and it had to be dealt with. I never thought the GMA interview was that bad; I am sure it was comfortable for him but since we have never heard him talk about it; I never bought into the theory that he was unhappy with the editing and would not do an interview with Diane again.

I think there is always a tendency for fans to project their own feeling onto Clay; we hated a particular interview so he must too.

I think a lot of fans hated that interview because he didn't say what they wanted him to say and I am sure it will be the same this time if he isn't forthright.

The last couple of years were difficult and now he appears to be in a much happier place and maybe feels more comfortable discussing his private life...Jaymes and Parker. And no he doesn't need to, but he also knows that the fans have a lot of questions and maybe wants to provide closer for those who are still on the fence. I imagine this interview will will either settle things for those who aren't sure about their fandom or confirm things that were suspected or hoped for; but I also think there are fans who are scared that he may confirm things that they don't want to deal with...I think we may need hard hats on Thursday and Friday for all the exploding heads...but either way, I think it is a good thing and hope it will put the baby issue to rest and perhaps we will get some further career news.

Kim

Addendum:

I think I forgot to mention that I asked the discharge nurse for a surgical cap because I feard scaring the public if I went out with this white-turned-red head. Since I had to go to the pharmacy and then needed to kill an hour for them to get the prescription ready. That’s why I went to the grocery and the gas station wearing the lovely white paper surgical cap! I looked weird, but at least people didn’t run screaming from me!

Ahh.gif

Perception is funny. I've never thought of Clay as particularly private. Oh sure he keeps plenty of his business to himself as is his right. But he's shared plenty as well. I also haven't seen him as particularly unhappy these last couple of years. I think the first two years of of stardom that was overwhelming for him. I can only imagine that 2006 was tough. But somewhere along the line he took back his life and IMO has been at peace. I've certainly felt that vibe from him since Sept 06.

I do agree with a lot of what you wrote AIKim, especially about Diane and how they got the entire media sidetracked talking about his sexuality and nary a word, except for a paragraph or two in the People article, about swamp things - and even then I'm sure most people were wondering what the hell he was talking about. I personally thought it was genius. He controlled the story as best he could through a friendly outlet.

Bookwhore's disclaimer to the 20,000th degree. I don't know anything. I could be 100% and totally wrong.

I have never felt Diane was anything but a friend and that that whole interview was orchestrated with Clay's blessing.

As you said, couchie, "He controlled the story as best he could through a friendly outlet. "

I'm excited about the interview and have no worries!

I do expect that this may be Clay and Jaymes' way of "introducing us to Parker", but I don't know JACK and learned a long time ago that Clay is full of surprises and trying to anticipate his next move is an exercise in futility!

Although is can be fun sometimes!

I'm just looking forward to hearing him talk!

Happy Birthday Aikim!

Per notacanuck at CH :

Clay Aiken appears on Good Morning America in a two-part interview, Thursday and Friday. Titled, “Clay Aiken” My Story” one might assume he’ll be talking about the birth of his son, Parker.

Could this also be part 2 of the promotion for the cd?

Please let it be happy, happy. I don't ever want to see that look on Clay's face like in the 2006 interview, which I haven't watched since.

Edited many times to get the facts right.

Hmmm... I think I feel a *cough*cold*cough* coming on later this week... at least for a couple hours on Thurs. & Fri. morning... *achoo* *sniff*

Per notacanuck at CH :

Clay Aiken appears on Good Morning America in a two-part interview, Thursday and Friday. Titled, “Clay Aiken” My Story” one might assume he’ll be talking about the birth of his son, Parker.

Could this also be part 2 of the promotion for the cd?

Please let it be happy, happy. I don't ever want to see that look on Clay's face like in the 2006 interview, which I haven't watched since.

Edited many times to get the facts right.

Hmmm... I think I feel a *cough*cold*cough* coming on later this week... at least for a couple hours on Thurs. & Fri. morning... *achoo* *sniff*

Oh, No!!! annabear! I just read your post and I think I may have caught the *cough*cold*cough* from you. I can probably manage to work for the next two days. But gosh, by Thursday I just may be too ill. :hysterical:

Yeah you guys do look a bit pale. There are some bad things going around. I hear they take a couple of days to take hold and then you really neeeeed to stay in bed for a couple of days.

OUCH Cotton! Quite often after forehead injuries/surgery you can have a black eye a day or two later. So thats something to look forward to!

YAY for the GMA interviews!!! (hope they truly happen)

:nanalove: :nanalove:

Clay will be on my TV! ! !

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

of course I wont be there to see him cause I will be at work, but still - Clay will be on my TV!!!

Thank God for the clack gatherers and sharers!!

:hug:

EEEEEEEEEEE for the GMA IIT! I think the Coke machine at work will need half stocking on Thursday am.

I spent this morning texting OOlsee who has NO internet access. I just had to tell her all the good stuff. Boy there was a lot to text.

Cotton...take care of yourself!

I found out this week that Hersheys has substitited Vegetable Oil for the Cocoa Butter in some of their candy bars! They now say chocolatey instead of Chocolate! I can see I am going to have to be more careful checking labels. When I want Chocolate I want the real thing babee!!!

By the way in case there is any doubt........I love Clay Aiken's new do! I just want to give him a big hug. He just looks so adorable.

Wow what a great review!!!!

Cotton - OUCH!!! So glad to hear that you're OK. Even though it doesn't sound like it was much fun, it could have been so much worse. And it sounds like something I would have done too!

Happy Birthday aikim!!!

I imagine this interview will will either settle things for those who aren't sure about their fandom or confirm things that were suspected or hoped for; but I also think there are fans who are scared that he may confirm things that they don't want to deal with...I think we may need hard hats on Thursday and Friday for all the exploding heads...

Yup, I think it will be safest to stick around here those two days... It will be dangerous out there I do believe. It will be interesting to say the least. I don't know that I have any expectations as to what he'll talk about - I think I'll go into it expecting nothing and let it be whatever it will be. Definitely keeps me saner (that does not look right! probably should be more sane?) and my fandom in a happy place... :cryingwlaughter:

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO AIKIM!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Your family likes September!

claytonic, I enjoy your very unusual "birthday" quotes.

cotton, I marvel that you were able to drive yourself to the ER. You did good!

I found out this week that Hersheys has substitited Vegetable Oil for the Cocoa Butter in some of their candy bars! They now say chocolatey instead of Chocolate! I can see I am going to have to be more careful checking labels. When I want Chocolate I want the real thing babee!!

Thanks for the useful info. One of my joys in life is chocolate, dense and dark (*sounds a little like the James Bond shaken not stirred martini*).

I love all this great press Clay is getting from Broadway and can't wait until the interview on GMA. I also didn't have problems with the 2006 interview, although I did read at the CH a part that was edited out that should have been left in. Diane has always been supportive of Clay and I think that was why he went to her to address the situation.

And even though I hope we do get pics and news of Parker, as long as he is talking, singing, napping, or whatever on my tv, I will be happy. Too bad I can't come down with that stuff you guys are getting but I'm observing in a local elementary school so unless I am near death, I have to be there. Thank goodness for dvr's.

You know, I'm not sure what to expect from this interview with Clay, but I actually hope there is no Parker appearance or picture. I'm sure he'll be asked or will offer information about him, but unless Clay really WANTS to show off his son, I don't need a picture. I'm much more interested in what he's thinking for his music in the near future---tour? :praying: ---more tv appearances singing for MEEEEEEEEEEEEE? :praying: ---more funny stories about old men hitting him with their canes in airports? :praying: ---hilarious behind-the-scenes tidbits from Spamalot? :praying:

I continue to remember Clay being so passionate in his declaration that he was going to 'take his life back'---I just want him to be happy following through on that... :wub:

Oh how wonderful it would be if Clay actually talked a lot about his CAREER and his CAREER plans before some in the general public forget he has one!

Of course, you all know I could care less hearing anymore about Parker. One thing I cannot stand is when new parents talk nonstop about their child like everyone cares as much about it as they do!

Besides, Parker is not part of my life. Clay entertaining me is and that's what I want to hear about!

But then again, its not all about moi! Damn it!

I think I will skip it and wait for the Clack. Of course, that's easy for me to say with conviction since I have to go to work anyway! :P

Sigh. Predictably, fans sent James some choice words after he blogged about seeing Clay in Spamalot. I'm VERY glad that James didn't publish the fan comments. He did, however, add this preface to his blog:

http://jamesbeaman.blogspot.com/2008/09/cl...ikens-back.html

I am prefacing this post, in retrospect, in response to some comments I have received from Clay's fans who seem to think that I am somehow critical or lukewarm about Clay's performance as Sir Robin. I think those folks should read this post again. I am a fellow performer, playing the same role as Clay in a major national tour of the identical production. My point of view is not as a Clay Aiken fan, but as a fellow artist. When I say Clay may be an "inexperienced stage actor" what I mean is that he has not had as much experience in theatrical roles as he has as a concert performer. I have, for those of you who doubt my credentials, 20 years of stage acting experience behind me and my views. If you will really look at what I wrote here, you will find me very complimentary and supportive of Clay, and the benefit his stardom is lending to the Broadway production. I am really impressed by the way some of Mr. Aiken's fans have come to his defense, but there is no need to defend him or to insult me. I really did enjoy Clay's take on Robin...

On a happier note, this site lists the boost to Spamalot's bottom line since Clay returned. Quite a jump after only a few days!

"Monty Python's Spamalot" ($494,410) bumped up close to $80,000 to log the biggest jump of the week, with increased sales attributable in part to the Sept. 19 return of Clay Aiken.

After getting familiar with these grosses, the most amazing part of the increase was the immediate leap of the average ticket price jumping back into the $70s after loling in the middle 60's.

What I expect is a drop back nw.I don't think many people are goingthis wek, which is why I want to try and attend like Wednesday next week.