#42: We're still having fun, and you're still the one!

Couch Tomato

FCA Thread Title  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• Endlessly entertaining, never a dull moment!!
    • Clay you seriously need to go back into the closet....to find another outfit!
    • I luv him, he is the anti-cool. He is his own cool that far exceeds cool.
    • The balls may be lavander, but they're still titanium.
    • He's Clay. He's gay. And whatever. When's the next tour?
    • He's made of awesome!
    • Even more beautiful now, inside and out!
    • God, what a MAN!
    • That is a MAN.

from Ms Marmalade at CH

Playbill.com

DIVA TALK: Chatting with Spamalot's Merle Dandridge

Quote:

Question: I know that Clay Aiken recently returned to the cast. Have you noticed a difference in audience reaction?

Dandridge: It's a huge difference! It's very funny because the center of action can be happening on one side of the stage, but you'll see a sea of heads looking in the opposite direction. [Laughs.] They're very excited to have him back. He's such a sweet, sweet person and obviously so talented. We're really lucky to have him.

Interesting interview.....the full text is posted in the CNN Media links thread.

justclay12 IMO The reason that political posting is relegated to its own thread is that it, like talk of religion, can be so divisive. And that we can do without right now on the main thread.

Couch Tomato

looks like neither future president will support Clay's right to get married to the man of his dreams.

So maybe he will come to Canada to get married one day, after all his BFF is Canadian and his son has dual citizenship.

Actually in the one ET Canada clip, the People person said that they did not take out dual citizenship for Parker. Even though they consider him Canadian too, they wanted him to be able to run for the President of the United States if he wanted to (which he wouldn't be able to, I guess, with dual citizenship)

OMG just saw one of the typos in the comments above... he's a talented dude turned into he's a latented dude. BWAH

:cryingwlaughter: I thought that was intentional!

I really need to learn to use the multiple quote function.

You mean you can do that? I need a tutorial too!

That picture from tonight, man oh man...gorgeous, confident, happy....

luckiest1 i enjoyed reading about the discussion you had with your male colleagues. Obviously they respect you very much. They know you love clay and were careful to be respectful in your discussions.

No one at work has said one peep. Except for a student (the son of a good friend) who stuck his head into my office, while I was advising another student, mind you, and said " Heard that your boyfriend came out of the closet." I said, "He's still my boyfriend" and went back to advising a now slightly confused student.

K'andre loved your "insane" post and I learned something about the KJV of the bible. Who said this fandom isn't educational.

I actually didn't mind his look with the flowered shirt and sweater. Must love the fugly.

Couchie, thank you for bringing over those posts from that hip hop site. Maybe it will cause a boost in hits. I really think that montage won clay some new fans, at least for that song. I love reading the posts on the montage page. I check out the favorite videos of the posters and the majority appear not to be clay fans.

I want to say how much I love this board. The intelligence, the sanity...so appreciated.

And finally, Go Phillies!!!!!

Edited for assorted flubs-it's late man!

i

Couch Tomato
looks like neither future president will support Clay's right to get married to the man of his dreams.

So maybe he will come to Canada to get married one day, after all his BFF is Canadian and his son has dual citizenship.

from tonite's SD

God he's gorgeous! I think my heart skipped a beat when I saw this. I think this came from dab1119 at CB

HPIM0939.jpg

Lotus.... OMG, I love that picture! I have always liked it when he sweeps his hair back like that. I love it when his widow's peak shows.

About neither party supporting gay marriage... I think it was a definite step forward that they both said they supported equal rights. Not that I believe Palin really does, based on what I have read, but she said it publically and this kind of step forward is great! Let them call it a legally binding union or something similar if they can tolerate that better, but if the same rights as marriage is there, then what they call it isn't important... course I'm not gay, so what I think doesn't matter in this case. :cryingwlaughter:

Living here in California, I was so proud when gay marriage was legalized. Now I'm so freakin' frustrated at the groups spending millions of dollars in a campaign to overturn that legalization. WTF? ALl that money. For what?

I mean, as far as I can tell, the world did not end when gay couples got that piece of paper. Night didn't become day. No meteor leveled the Golden Gate Bridge, causing a tidal wave that erased Northern California.

Seriously. WTF? All the crap going on in the world and THIS is what people are spending serious money, time and effort on?

:asking02: :whatacrock: :onsoapbox::ruserious:

And on a better note...my daughters were so very, very excited to get home and find 'all plumbing systems GO!" :cryingwlaughter: I want to get them to help me paint the downstairs bathroom before hubby gets back from his trip. Surprise! Should I let the girls pick the color scheme? :whistling-1::lilredani:

Night didn't become day. No meteor leveled the Golden Gate Bridge, causing a tidal wave that erased Northern California.

Just like when Clay Aiken came out of the closet.

Much better outfit last night.

Waves to Gibby...just cos! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

But speaking of politics, and who knew just a two weeks ago I'd be saying this - but looks like neither future president will support Clay's right to get married to the man of his dreams.

I wonder what will happen with the "activist" Clay community now. They tended to support things close to Clay's heart. This roller coaster we've been on sure makes some very interesting twists and turns.

Yeah, I've been wondering about this, too. I think Clay will continue to support all the things he already supports, but if he branches out a bit, I think people will follow.

Loved that Merle Dandridge interview. Thanks for bringing it over, Lotus. There was one part where she talked about being centre stage, and feeling like she was sharing everything with the audience. I hope Clay feels like that, too. Argh now I have to go back and find the real quote cuz I'm sure I'm butchering it. LOL.

ETA: OK here is is:

I remember standing center stage during "I Don't Know How to Love Him" in a beautiful, long red dress, just feeling so naturally myself, my arms opened wide and just — I don't even know how to describe it — sharing myself fully with the people who were there.

Is that the same grey sweater as the one over the purple flowered shirt? Kind of looks like it to me. Sounds like he is really enjoying the stage door experience more this time around. Do you think he'll still be lingering out there, taking pictures, in December? I'd love that. I have never had a meet & greet or photo with Clay either. Although I do have this from Broadway.com last March! :wub:

n759986467_1421072_2563.jpg

Jamar I never gave you a great big hug..and a maybe next year. Hopefully my team will be back in it so I can actually enjoy the season.

Aw thanks. This was such a young team and really, no one expected them to finish anywhere near the top of the division. Yet they came so close to winning it. All in all...it was pretty sweet. :)

The first couple of days are always a bit of a shock to the system. what? no game? how many days until pitcher's and catcher's report!!??

---

Didja know that many historians agree that King James was, at the very least,...a leeeeetle bit gay? :whistling-1:

---

Aw...I love Clay and all his "interesting" fashion choices.

Hee. We have a Clay friend that thoughout the IT thought Fugly was a designer name.

*waves to friend*

OMG!

I have been waiting for years to hear someone in power say,

The trouble with
No Child Left Behind
is that the money was left behind!!!

Amen!

The federal gov't pushed that
No Child Left Behind
and left it to the states to find the money themselves to enact the program.

Thank you, Joe Biden!

That reminds me of one of my favourite political "good news/bad news" jokes.

Since some people don't like politics, I have taken it to the Politics thread...

if interested, click here

ETA: This was sent to me, dubbed "video of the year"...

It's what you need to see if you're having a bad day and think your life sux. I think Clay would love this vid, it fits in perfectly with his philosophy about celebrating and focusing on what you CAN do, rather than what you can't.

Last night's sweater/shirt combination was MUCH better. Very handsome, that man.

For those asking how to do multiple quotes...when you find a post that you want to quote, just hit the "Quote" button in that post, but then keep reading the thread. As you find more posts to quote, hit the "Quote" button for each one. Then, finally, when you've found all the ones to quote, hit the "Add Reply" button. All the posts you wanted to quote should be there! I usually make a habit of editing out the stuff from the posts that I don't want to reply to, but that can take a bit of practice. It's really pretty easy, though.

Gotta run. The library today is pretty much ME for the entire day, plus a work meeting an hour and a half away TONIGHT no less. And then, a visit to my Mom tomorrow all day and my handbell choir at church Sunday morning. I thought weekends were supposed to be RELAXING!

Good Morning Everyone,

15 Days until The BAF Gala! :yahoo:

21 Days until Clay is Roasting Matt Lauer!

:yahoo:

58 Days until Clay's Golden Birthday!

93 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

:cry4:

113 Days until Golfing For Inclusion!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Thanks to everyone for the advice on getting even for my 6am fiasco yesterday -- I slept in today (yay!), will have a long lunch and will leave at 4. Hah! :)

Have a great day y'all!

:nature-smiley-014:

Cotton, I meant a picture of the cast write-up inside, please? Thanks!

Clay looked very handsome last night. I love him. I'm working on going to Spam; he really needs us now.

Those DB sweaters are pretty expensive. It also looks like cashmere. I always try to remember that Clay jumps out of his costume and wig, puts his clothes on , quickly, so he can come and sign autographs. Thanks Clay. I don't think he has a vain bone in his body. I respect that.

Jamar I never gave you a great big hug..and a maybe next year. Hopefully my team will be back in it so I can actually enjoy the season.

Aw thanks. This was such a young team and really, no one expected them to finish anywhere near the top of the division. Yet they came so close to winning it. All in all...it was pretty sweet. :)

The first couple of days are always a bit of a shock to the system. what? no game? how many days until pitcher's and catcher's report!!??

Down here in Tampa Bay, it is a bit of a shock to see that the Rays not only won their division, they won the first play-off game! I think against the White Sox?

merryclay - I have the feeling that Clay arranged things so that he will have a career even if most of his fans decamped for David Archuleta. Heeee.....that was the most insulting thing I read about Clay fan reaction, that they could flock to Archuleta.. a teenager. Good grief! Nothing against the boy, but not exactly a substitute.

I stumbled upon this quote from Robert Redford about his good friend, Paul Newman.

And while Redford praised his close pal's acting chops, he said he really admired the rarely seen private side of Newman, the generosity and loyalty.

"The fact is we can all be really sad here," he said. "And I am sad. I've lost a really good friend...but the fact is that the person he was—the person he is, 'cause he's going to be lasting—has got to do with the way he lived his life, the commitments he made and what he put back."

Guess who I thought of?

Here's the whole article:

Redford Praises Newman

ETA: This was sent to me, dubbed "video of the year"...

It's what you need to see if you're having a bad day and think your life sux. I think Clay would love this vid, it fits in perfectly with his philosophy about celebrating and focusing on what you CAN do, rather than what you can't.

claytonic... O.M.G. That is amazing! Puts things into perspective, doesn't it! Thanks for bringing that over!

This sweater... MUCH nicer than the mess over that purple flowered shirt. Whew! I loved that we could joke about his being gay, tho.

muski... let them pick with your veto power in case they pick chartruse and royal blue! :cryingwlaughter:

Paul Newman... class act... like someone else we know!

I can understand not getting politics, just like I can't get into conversations about anything domestic, but it bothers me when someone says that it should go into the political thread if anyone even mentions anything about politics. I'm not trying to pick on anyone but there are so many things discussed on this main thread that could go into other areas that I don't understand why politics, unless someone is writing a book about it, should not be allowed here.

Everyone has their own reasons for their preferences, but the reason I desperately threw in cuteness last night was #1) The comments were a much stronger tone than 'mere mentions', #2) the remarks wouldn't make much sense to those NOT watching the debate, which, essentially, is not that different than having a running commentary about some other TV show that others may not be watching at the same time (unless y'all would actually enjoy my thoughts about What Not to Wear or sumpthin - heh) and #3) I crave the relatively calm atmosphere of this board so much right now that the...er... passion expressed during night's political forum inspired a knee-jerk reaction. This is my issue, obviously, but if it matters, my sensitivity to the kind of high emotion provoked by politics and other divisive subjects is an unfortunate side-effect of the current level of stress in my real life. And one of my main stressors was already upstairs yelling at the television.

A compromise might be to put a bold heading warning of political talk, so I can safely skip over it. But hey, whatever the mods say is okay with me. Sorry if my plea was off-putting to anyone last night. Unintentional.

From CV via the CH. These pictures might give a better idea about the sweater Clay was wearing.

IMG_00432.jpgIMG_00442.jpg

That's just a whole lot of yum right there. :)

Seriously, Gibby, thanks for bringing those pics over. They are bee-yootiful! He looks very, very happy.

Can I admit to a teensy, tiny (OK a whole hell of a lot) bit of jealousy for those able to go now? By the time we get there in January he'll be sick of the SD again, and there'll be a zillion more fans there too. I've NEVER had a M&G or a picture or ANYthing! :cry4: I'm Soooooooo jealous!!

I'm so glad you enjoyed them! Unfortunately, merrieeee now thinks I'm her enemy, when I merely posted purdy pics of Clay at your suggestion. I mean, really, how can that be so much of a sin on a Clay board??? But I guess she's into revenge, so I'm kinda skeeered. :confused-smiley-014: *sniff* Doncha feel sorry for me???

I've never had a M&G or a picture, either. Someday we'll get lucky, I'm sure! :thbighug-1:

Hey, no problem!! I'm there for ya!.....and I sure hope you're right about the M&G thing. :cry4:

I'm going to bring a post from another board over (with the poster's permission) because I thought it was lovely, and expresses my feelings far better than I can:

From bweber9 at CV:

Since some of you were foolish enough to say you enjoyed my Spam recap (and thank you all for that), I'm going to share my thoughts on the current goings-on.

These are my thoughts only. I am not saying anyone should feel the same way and I am certainly not saying that anyone who doesn't feel the same way is wrong.

I readily admit that I believed Clay was straight, 100%, never had a nanosecond of doubt. I believed that Clay never said he was gay, and I refused to buy into ridiculous stereotypes. Also, I knew that if Clay was in fact gay it would certainly not be something he would be ashamed of, and he would just say so. When anyone asked me if Clay was gay, I would say, “I don’t know, I’m not in his bedroom. I don’t think he is, and he says he’s not. If he tells me he is, then I’ll believe it.” I also knew that the possibility existed that I was wrong and that would be okay too. I love Clay for a million and one reasons, none of which are his sexual orientation. So when I said “unconditional” I meant it.

Here we are today and Clay has told me that yes, he is gay. Now I believe it. So I was wrong before. Sue me. I am not ashamed, I am not embarrassed and I don’t feel stupid. I don’t feel duped, I don’t feel misled, I don’t feel lied to. My fandom is not affected in the least, nor is my lust. In my fantasies, I’m 28 and thin and pretty and Clay is only interested in me. Since none of those things were ever going to be true, this news really doesn’t change anything in that regard. I have no interest in going back to parse every word Clay has ever spoken to try and figure out what he really meant. I have no interest in speculating as to who knew what and when. Now we all know the truth and we can move forward on the same page. Yay for all of us. End of story.

And for the haters and swamp dwellers and self-described fans with an “out at any cost” agenda who claim they were right all along, I call shenanigans. They were right about one tiny little fact and absolutely nothing else.

Clay Aiken is exactly the man I thought he was, and then some.

I think about Clay growing up the way he did, the bullying, the emotional abuse, the lack of a father’s love. Now add to that the struggle to come to terms with his sexual identity in a climate that is not known for tolerance on that topic. And he was completely alone with no support system, no one to talk to, no one to tell him it was okay, that he was okay. And yet he figured that out by himself anyway. He is even stronger than I ever imagined.

Then thrust him onto a national stage to be judged by millions every week, to have Simon tell the world that he’s too this, he’s not enough that, he’s ugly. Then have his first major post-show interview ask him ridiculously intrusive personal questions that are no one’s business. How he didn’t run for the hills at that point is a wonder. But he remained charming and witty and gracious.

Throw in a few million adoring fans who have documented, analyzed, dissected and scrutinized every word he’s uttered, every clothing choice, every body part, every freckle on his face and every hair on his head. Who could withstand that level of examination? But he did that too.

Then throw in evil people accusing him of vile, salacious acts and telling vicious lies that are impossible to disprove. But he remained steadfast.

And through it all, he managed to carve out a career in an unfamiliar industry that he had to learn from the ground up and he thrived. What determination, what a work ethic.

Now finally, he risks everything he’s worked so hard for in order to live an authentic life for his son. What courage, what integrity.

And how does he react to those who now question all those characteristics? With more patience and forgiveness than I would have thought possible.

Clay Aiken is one of the truest men I have ever “known” and worthy of my respect and admiration and love. Guess what? I was right all along, about everything that matters. And oh yeah, he happens to be gay.

One event---the Palin/Biden debate---two headlines:

New York Times

Palin and Biden Politely Discuss Economy, Iraq

Wall Street Journal

Palin and Biden Clash Over Taxes, Iraq in Sharp-Edged Debate

What would the Enquirer's headline be? :huh::blink:

Relevant to Clay? Yep...just think of all the 'newsworthy' Clay events and how differently various media reported 'the facts'.....And just think of how differently fans are interpreting this newest 'event' in Clay's life. And how differently they're using the SAME THINGS---the Bible, Clay's responses to interviews, Clay's behavior onstage, etc---to justify totally different opinions of the exact same event---that Clay is and was and has been gay.

And I wonder...has anybody SEEN a tabloid headline about this? :8:

Oh...and I guess I was thinking that People issue was going to be out for a month. I gave my one copy to a co-worker and told her she could keep it. Now the new issue is on the stands! Aaaargh! Hey, Couchie? You buy more than one, by the way--maybe have an extra you'd like to sell? :whistling-1::lipstick:

Perhaps everyone else has already seen this thread at the CB but it was the first time for me and I was blown away.

It is an amazing collage of pics, very cleverly put together, grouping the Aiken "look" through the years.

The only disappointment for me was when I realized I'd reached the end of the thread....

http://theclayboard.yuku.com/topic/25187/t...y-then-Now.html

Couchie I heard when Biden said that he and Obama don't support gay marriage--and it's a given that the Republicans take that position. As much as I hate to say this, I don't think it's yet possible for politicians to be elected Pres/VP UNLESS they say they are opposed to gay marriage. I think for candidates to say that gays should otherwise have equal rights is a BIG step forward. As Clay says, "Patience..." Pisses me off, but right now I'm focusing on the fight against the gay marriage ban in CA. I'm waiting for my rainbow shirts to arrive.

When I was out searching, I found T-shirts that said, "Straight, not narrow." Isn't that great?

JustClay - politics are tough especially in an election year but yeah you're right we can take a comment or two without sending everyone to the poltiical thread. We don't mind that main topics can wander - makes it's fun. And FCA has shown the ability to discuss serious topics - religion has snuck into the conversation this week and it wasn't all damning to hell those religious zealots that are all over Clay at the moment. So something organic that arises out of say a debate is ok which is all that happened tonight. We tend to travel from topic to topic fast enough that we don't get bogged down on anything one subject too long - well unless it's cute and wears funky clothes. If the past is any indication I don't expect FCA main to turn into the hot spot for political discourse. Hell our political thread doesn't even see much action. But speaking of politics, and who knew just a two weeks ago I'd be saying this - but looks like neither future president will support Clay's right to get married to the man of his dreams.

But one ticket will support equal civil rights for same sex couples that het couples get, and, I believe, Civil Unions (at the state level). It’s the word “marriage” that is at issue here - I think Wandaceo is right that you can't get elected in this country and take a strong stand FOR it. The other ticket claims (very, very reluctantly judging by Sarah’s hemming and hawing) that they support equal rights too – but they don’t, Sarah's past comments don't support that and I don't think McCain’s record supports that. I think Obama supports civil unions on a state by state basis – just not federal. Biden actually went into a lot more detail on this last night than I expected and I was not unhappy with his answers. If Clay ever wants to get married there are at least three states he can go to. Provided that California doesn’t succeed in getting their constitutional amendment passed. It’s not just turning over the law I don’t think, but an actual amendment to the constitution. Wanda?

For those asking how to do multiple quotes...when you find a post that you want to quote, just hit the "Quote" button in that post, but then keep reading the thread. As you find more posts to quote, hit the "Quote" button for each one. Then, finally, when you've found all the ones to quote, hit the "Add Reply" button. All the posts you wanted to quote should be there! I usually make a habit of editing out the stuff from the posts that I don't want to reply to, but that can take a bit of practice. It's really pretty easy, though.

Dang, I’ve been doing it the hard way, cutting and pasting what I want into Word. Although…the net never eats my posts that way.