July 29, 2005 - CT - Mohegan Sun

Couch Tomato

Any and everything about this concert:

~ Edited because introductions should go in the introductions thread. This thread is for information/recaps of the Mohegan Sun concert. ~ SkateJoy

Jul 28 2005, 08:54 AM

Runner-up doesn't mean second-best

Norwich Bulletin

Clay Aiken, who performs Friday at Mohegan Sun, took second place in 'Idol's' second season.

By DAVID PENCEK

Norwich Bulletin

Clay Aiken didn't win "American Idol," but he's become as popular as any contestant from the popular reality show who is not named Kelly Clarkson.

Aiken-mania (or is it Clay-mania) was riding high after he finished second to Ruben Studdard in the second season of "American Idol" and after he released his debut album "Measure of a Man" in October 2003.

Aiken has been fairly quiet this year, but that may change because Aiken will be on the road touring through this summer.

The 26-year old Aiken brings his "Jukebox" tour to the Mohegan Sun Arena Friday. Tickets for the 8 p.m. show are $50 and $40. The Mohegan Sun is the second stop on the tour.

Without a new album to promote, Aiken will sing covers of popular songs going back to the 1950s all the way to modern times, which will include some of Aiken's hits such as "This is the Night."

"This started out as a show just to have some fun with, and as I got more excited about singing these songs, it became a bigger show," Aiken said in a released statement. "It's a chance for people to remember where they were when they heard certain songs."

Expect covers of "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "Solitaire" and hits by Sam Cooke and the Goo Goo Dolls.

Although he has a squeaky-clean image, Aiken has been a part of some controversy lately. The Bubel/Aiken foundation, a charity he co-founded to benefit children with disabilities, has come under scrutiny. News reports cite that a document filed with the Internal Revenue Service revealed that of the more than $1 million the group raised last year, less than a third was handed out in grants. Large amounts went to travel expenses, "professional services" and salaries.

It's doubtful that the story will hurt the family-friendly Aiken's popularity.

Also this week at Mohegan Sun, Destiny's Child performs Wednesday in the Arena and Dick Pillar's 40th Annual Polkabration will be held Friday through Sunday in the Uncas Ballroom.

Jul 28 2005, 08:16 AM

Concerts & Clubs

Stamford Advocate

Clay Aiken, Mohegan Sun, 8 p.m. tomorrow

"American Idol" has set popular music back in ways we may not yet even realize. And the fact that kids will be plead with their parents to spend this kind of cash to see this geek is disgusting. Even disposable pop stars used to have to earn a career, not place second in a nationwide karaoke contest and be immediately propelled into one. The Idol-ism of America makes 1980s mall acts like Tiffany look like troubadours. On this tour, Aiken will preview songs from an upcoming album, but mainly stick to pop standards. Aren't you supposed to wait until you're Rod Stewart's age to do that? $40 and $50. Mohegan Sun Arena, Mohegan Sun, Uncasville. (888) 332-5600.

Just Idoling

TheDay.com

Aiken's stop at Mohegan Sun will be his second concert on a tour focusing on cover versions of songs from the 1950s through the '90s. Which can't be all that different from Aiken's other concerts, can it? It's not like he has a huge catalogue of original songs. This time, the hits he plunders were originally recorded by Sam Cooke and Elvis, Goo Goo Dolls and doo-woppers. You can expect, too, some tunes from Aiken's “Measure of a Man” and his follow-up CD, whic

h he's recording in the fall.

From CB:

ThEY ARE AT THE VENUE - LG CROWD OF EXCITED FANS GATHERED - SECURITY CHECKS FOR CAMERAS AS THIS IS AN INSIDE VENUE...............:

-----

SECURITY REALLY REALLY TIGHT WITH CAMERAS TONIGHT...

MERCHANDISE LINE WAS VERY VERY LONG!

-----

TEXT MESSAGING IS WORKING TONIGHT......SO FAR NOT VERY ORIGINAL..........MARRY ME CLAY, LOVE YOU CLAY, BREAK A LEG ETC. THERE ARE JUMBOTHONS AND THEY ARE SITTING DEAD CENTER!!! STILL HAVE A GOOD CONNECTION!!!

EEEEEEEEEE!!!! BON BONS!!!!!!

From Cb:

OH LORD ITS STARTING HEARING PERFECTLY CROWD GAVE LOUD SCREAMING JUKEBOX STUCK CLAY JUST CAME ON STAGE SCREAMING LIKE CRAZY

From cellstream...

Twisting the night away...the reception is not that great....

lots of clapping to the beat.

screaming...

from TCB

CLAYTONLADY SAID ' HE'S SO GORGEOUS' SOUND A LITTLE FUZZY

AT THE HOP SOUNDS AMAZING........

twisting the night away...girls in poodle skirts doing bop behind him...he's in the leather jacket

JOHNNY BE GOOD

ROCKIN ROBIN......COOOOOLLL!!!

OMG - THE GREAT PRETENDER.....LUV IT!!

HE LOOKS SOOOOOO GOOD

ONLY YOU - ONLY YOU CAN SING THIS NOW CLAY!!!

Only you....long drawn out...yoouoooooooooooooooouuuuuu!!

Only you....long drawn out...yoouoooooooooooooooouuuuuu!!

Cellstream

is getting better...still very muffled...sounds liek the same line up as last night...

great pretender...sounded great

only you...gorgeous, his voice fits this era so well...

Mr Sandman

yay that is soo much better...

Cellstream:

Great balls of fire...sounds better tahtn the video clips...

wow great crowd response...

Rock and roll is here to stay....sounds great...so solid...

lets go to the hop

what a great medley...great arrangement!!!!!

great crowd response

Clay talking...

talking about 1st number one hit...Rock n Roll is here to stay...

intro the concept...talking to the audience now...he said if you behave yourself and dance and if he doesn;t see any sigsn for Ruben he will sing something new

intro to UM

From TCB:

ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK ...HUGE SCREAMS OMG MY ONE AND ONLY YOU UNREAL

----

MR. SANDMAN ------

MR SANDMAN BRING ME A DREAM

ROCKIN OUT TO THAT'LL BE THE DAY

LOUD CROWS TONIGHT!!

---Great harmonies form the girls in mr. postman...

That'll be the day!! You know it's a lie...cause that will be the day-ay-ay..low low

Hound dog! Screaming!

----

THAT'LL BE THE DAY...SO CUTE AND NOW GREAT BALLS OF FIRE............AMEN TO THAT

-----

OMG He is on the piano!!!!!!!!

Help us all OMG He is on the piano!!!!!!!!

Help us all

CROWS TOOOOO LOUD -

AT THE HOP!!!! I WANT TO DANCE WITH CLAY!!

----

CROWS ARE OUTDOING THEMSELVES -

TALKING NOW....... 60'S COMING UP - HE'S SWEATING UP THERE HE SAID AND THE CROWS SCREAM!!!

DYING HERE - UNCHAINED MELODY - PLEASE BE QUIET CROWS - OHHHHHHHHHH......

Talking something about number one hit...talking alot just can't under stand it all!

1955...unchained melody...slow and gentle

cellstream....

Love me tender...better than last night IMO...still a little tentative in the piano...but so sweet its as if he is doing this for the fans...his love song to the fans...

He does elvis so welll.....he is so incredible...

love the cockiness..

Fools rush in ...or whatever the title of this song is...sweet...

from TCB:

CROWS ARE OUTDOING THEMSELVES -

TALKING NOW....... 60'S COMING UP - HE'S SWEATING UP THERE HE SAID AND THE CROWS SCREAM!!!

DYING HERE - UNCHAINED MELODY - PLEASE BE QUIET CROWS - OHHHHHHHHHH.......

Talking something about number one hit...talking alot just can't under stand it all!

1955...unchained melody...slow and gentle

I NEEEEED YOUR LOVE - GOD SPEED YOUR LOVE TO MEEEEEE

GAAAAAHHHHHHHH - HE KILLED ME!!!

said if you'll dance and behave yourself he will do something from the future!!!!!!

Soaring on MIIIIIIIIINEEEEEE!

Oh my darling...so gentle..loving...omg I'm going to die!

TALKING NOW......FIRST NO. 1 HIT CROWD SUCH LOUD SCREAMS LOL ......DOING SOMETHING FROM THE FUTURE TOO,,,,,,,,,,UM...............GOD ITS JUST BEAUTIFUL AND THE CROWD JUST KEEPS SCREAMING ..............HERE COMES THE HIGH NOTE..............I LOVE THIS MAN.......... OMG I NEEEEEEEEEEEED YOUR LOVE HIS VOICE IS SO ON...

Falsetto (??) "need" in teh midst of soaring notes!

Break before MEEEEEEEEEEEEE...at the end...

crowd going nuts!

BETTER THAN LAST NIGHT - LIGHTING AND SMOKE.....

A CLACK GODDESS IS THERE!!!!!

gonna play piano now!!! Best selling solo artist Elvis......

LOVE ME TENDER.....I MISSED THE FUNNY LINE HE JUST HAD.

SIGH - SO SWEET...........

When we sat down to do this thing there were more songs than we knew what to do with...

ELVIS time!!

Love me tender!...slow...slow...sweet...singing to everyone!

Long dramatic pauses

SONGS FROM THE 50'S HERE COMES ELVIS SAID SOLD MORE ALBUMS THAN ANYBODY WELL MAYBE TOOOOOO FUNNY.....THE MAN CAN PLAY THE PIANO OMG

LMT.......piano and voice.....both great!

Love me tender sounds so beautiful...crowd is going nuts as usual

Rocking to hound dog...very elvis sounding....

Blue suede shoes...

it goes so quick...one line of each...