#44: We think we'll keep him!!!!

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• I'll connect with this man in any way at any time.
    • He could sing me the Invisionfree terms of service agreement and I'd love it, so any new songs are obviously going to be coolness squared.
    • He owns us.
    • Just sing to me, pretty boy!

Pretty sure you just saw Clay Aiken. ::shrugs:: While short, I thought the appearance was perfect. He is on Broadway, so he came in character, and he played along with a cute joke.

I meant Clay Aiken...not Clay Aiken as Sir Robin...guess I just don't have much of a sense of humor tonight...cause I just didn't get the whole show.

Not even close to Ed Sullivan in my opinion...of course, I am not a fan of Rosie and that probably has colored my viewpoint.

Kim

I wasn't too crazy about the show either. It just seemed like they were all trying too hard. I do hope it gets picked up though because I'd like to see variety come back to tv and I think it would get better with time. Thought the Clay skit was cute and would love if the show did get picked up and he could be a regular or semi-regular. Then if it does great, people could see how great he was, and if it failed, he wouldn't take the hit. Plus, if he wasn't the lead then he could still live in NC and just come up for a couple of days to do the show, and he could still tour. Works for me. Now I'm going to re-watch the clip another few dozen times.

Not too impressed with most of the singing though. Can't say I get into the Ne-yo or Alanis Morisette love because they did nothing for me. Thought both were boring and their voices just meh.

If the show gets picked up, I"ll give it a chance. I think it will get better. Like ldyj said, there's usually at least one performer or part that appeals to you. Tonight, it was Clay. :) Didn't like either of the singers tonight.........but just think, maybe later this season Clay could be the singer!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone... and to those that aren't American..have some turkey anyway heee. I only have 2 things to cook and I can do one tomorrow. So looking forward to just relaxing. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

What network is carrying Rosie's show..NBC or one of the cable afflilates. I must not watch whatever channel it is because I haven't seen one commercial for it.

TGIW! whoo hooo

Just watched the download again. Geez, Clay's shoulders looked huge in his costume! I think it was a very good plug for Spam and I hope it sells a few tickets for the show.

ETA: Couchie, Rosie's on NBC. Tomorrow, Clay's supposed to make an appearance on CBS's coverage of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I'll have it on, but might need to catch it on the Clack, depending on when Clay shows up.

The more I see the bit, the funnier it is. Now I'm going to go back through to listen to the audience reaction and see who got the most squeals cuz you know it's all about the competition.

And I think the guy with Clay is one of the dancers in the show. I think he is the one who normally does the nun among other things.

I think the problem was that there was too much for one show. Maybe if it gets picked up it will become more organized with fewer guests. I also think Rosie's nerves were showing in the monologue but I imagine with all that's been going on in her world and the fact that she really wants this to take off....there were bound to be a few nerves twitching at the start. Not quite Ed Sullivan but with some work it could be good.

How old is Lisa Minneli and when did she lose her voice? I felt bad for her, she had a powerful voice. I'm really glad she didn't attempt to sing New York, New York( or is it just one New York? whatever)

Clay looked great( as always....hawt, hawt, hawt) and he never appears nervous...just himself and so at home on stage. Hopefully we'll get a few more clips. I do wish he had had a bit more time but at least he didn't get hit in the face with a pie. (I did enjoy that moment...Conan grates on my nerves and that was so appropriate...IMO)

I did notice (I think)...and I'm probably being really picky here.....that when she was acknowledging people in the finale, pulling the names out of the air as they finally came to mind.....I did not hear her say Clay Aiken. Maybe I missed it....definetely an oversight I think.

Well, I know some of you think I am a baaaaaad Clay fan since I didn't want to get my picture taken with him and I call Parker "the kid" and I didn't like the barber pole shirt etc, etc, etc.... ;)<SNARK>

But I guess I really, really am because I totally forgot about Rosie until I was watching "Bones" and Booth was talking about his son, whose name happens to be (wait for it...) Parker! By then it was already half over so I guess I will watch the clack and maybe watch the whole show on my west coast feed.

Having a west coast feed is the one thing I really love about having satellite!

Off to watch the clack!

I have to agree about the singing; I kind of liked Ne-Yo, although to me he came off kind of full of himself~could be that "street" attitude thing. Alanis I just didn't get at ALL....couldn't understand one word she said and therefore have no idea what was going on with the screen behind etc. Literally did not get one word of it.

Loved the kids tap dancing. :)

Harry was OK; even he just got about 20 seconds.

Gosh, the people in the audience MADE OUT with all the "gifts".

I did notice (I think)...and I'm probably being really picky here.....that when she was acknowledging people in the finale, pulling the names out of the air as they finally came to mind.....I did not hear her say Clay Aiken. Maybe I missed it....definetely an oversight I think.

She probably just sent him a text! :whistling-1:

Personally, I thought the show needs some work, but a live show is tough. Clay was terrific, totally at ease and I think he helped Rosie to relax a little too. I think the plug for Spam was perfect too, but I agree with whoever said it was strange for him to look like Sir Robin but sound like Sir Clay. Whatever...I loved it.

At the very least, any show where Conan gets a pie in the face is OK by me! :cryingwlaughter:

IMO, Rosie would need more contemporary acts like Ne-Yo and less Liza and Broadway in-jokes if she wants to appeal to a wider audience. And I also wished the show had moved along a little faster or more smoothly or just something.... I don't know what exactly.

I did love the lil' tap dancing kids, though. I thought they were adorable. And of course that Knight in the middle of the show was verra, verra CUTE.

I see the reactions to the show are all over the place. Personally, my reaction was that it was reasonably funny but too, too short! I was going "That's it? Less than a minute and a silly little gay joke?" I was very sad that there wasn't any singing involved. Oh, well... Had to go Sir Robin-ize, I suppose.

As for the show itself... Neh. Too much cheese for my particular palate. If I was still one of the 'unenlightened' and not a Clay fan, I probably wouldn't have sat through it. Definitely not the Alanis "Mumbledybum" Morissette part. Did anyone know what she was saying? Because I didn't and neither did the people I was watching it with... Something about Day 1?

I agree that that Knight (who was he again? :lol:) was verra, verra, cute... But they didn't give us enough full-on shots to give the full effect of the handsomeness! :(

First review of the show...I agree 100%

Rosie Breaks Pledge of No-Politics Show With Obama, Palin, O'Reilly Jokes

By Tim Graham (Bio | Archive)

November 26, 2008 - 21:38 ET

Rosie O'Donnell pledged her NBC variety show on Wednesday night wouldn't get political -- but it did, with gooey praise for Barack Obama at the beginning and then halfway into the show there were lame jokes against Bill O'Reilly and Sarah Palin.

She began by saying there's wouldn't be politics, but had to say "just two words: Barack Obama." She looked up to God and mouthed "Thank you" while the audience cheered. "I can't get over it, really," Rosie claimed. "It's been 22 days since the election and I just yesterday stopped hugging every black person I see."

More than 30 minutes into the show, Rosie played some sort of police officer and a woman playing a pig-tailed little girl (carrying a stuffed animal) cracked jokes with her. After making fun that Rosie wasn't on the diet show Celebrity Fit Club, the pig-tailed one said "I have problems of my own. Bill O'Reilly just Friended me on Facebook." (Andrea Mackris sex-harassment suit humor, no doubt.)

That joke was harsher than the Palin joke. The girl next wondered if Alanis Morrisette was ready to sing yet, since "this sketch is dying faster than a moose at a Sarah Palin picnic."

The show was supposed to be some nostalgic version of an old-time variety show, but it wasn't really for the family-hour set. O'Donnell began by repeatedly touching her breasts and making jokes about how her "Spanx" undergarments were holding her together, like a "onesie for chubby forty-somethings." She also said "dammit" in the first few minutes.

Perhaps the biggest turn-the-channel moment for parents (other than watching Rosie or Liza Minnelli sing) was "30 Rock" actress Jane Krakowski singing about all the fancy consumer goodies the audience in the theater would receive for free, including a BlackBerry. Krakowski stripped down into a lace corset, and at the end, jokingly threw the corset off while hiding behind Rosie, as Rosie said "This is a family show! This is a family show!" Not.

Rosie dropped several gay jokes in, like the one about her 11-year-old daughter wondering why she has two mommies and no high heels. Rosie said two-mommy households don't have a lot of high heels, but two-daddy households...

Singer Clay Aiken, freshly out of the closet, dropped by to plug his Broadway show "Spamalot," but did not sing. He and Rosie talked about everything they had in common, and then joked there was one big thing they could not remember.

The show also featured Alec Baldwin (no politics), and he dropped his face into Rosie's cleavage several times as a joke about talking into her mike. Kathy Griffin came on impersonating CNN Headline News's Nancy Grace. That sketch started with real footage of Grace knocking Rosie as a "bully." NBC offered Rosie's revenge.

As just plain television, it was a very unfunny and uneven hour. The only good joke was Rosie praising her teenage son, saying she knew he was adopted because he's the only O'Donnell with a six-pack on the outside of his stomach. The musical performances were not good, including the concluding duet with Rosie and Gloria Estefan singing about pigging out at Thanksgiving. Anyone who tuned in looking for an engaging old-style variety show was surely disappointed

Sir Aiken is CUTE, y'all! :Iluvclaysbutt:

I liked the idea of the show, but it seemed a little busy to me. Too much crammed into the hour?

YAY, justclay12! :clap: So glad you had such a good time & got to have your picture taken!

I don't know who that reviewer is but since there have been very few who are nice to Clay, I just don't bother reading.

I thought it was a little manic but it is the first show, maybe the last. I heard a lot of squeals when Clay appeared, were there that many fans in attendance? I enjoyed the skits, tap dancers, upside down dancers and especially Sir Robin. I am a little biased that way. I enjoyed Liza as it was very nostalgic. I saw her on Broadway when I was first married. Rosie needs to give up singing. Jane K from 30 Rock was very good. Seeing Conan I remembered htat it was reported that he said last weekend that he looked like Clay. Sorry Conan in your dreams.

Family friendly doesn't necessarily mean no inuendo, so I think the show qualified in this respect. I enjoyed parts of it, I hope they can salvage it by slowing it down a little.

That review sounds like it was written by an ultra conservative homophobic republican. IMO nothing he pointed out as not being family friendly was not family friendly. The show may not have been particularly funny (I haven't watched it, but I didn't think Clay's bit was at all funny - although he was verra, verra CUTE! I thought the jokes fell flat and the audience was not very responsive because of that.) But I think his review was slanted because of his political perspective and perhaps his so-called moral perspective. He of course is totally entitled to his opinion but I do think he came off as an ultra-conservative who doesn't like Rosie because she is a liberal democrat, outspoken and gay!

JMO and all that.

Clay WAS adorable, however. His shoulders looked HUGE!! And the guy with the coconuts was definitely the flying nun!

That review sounds like it was written by an ultra conservative homophobic republican. IMO nothing he pointed out as not being family friendly was not family friendly. The show may not have been particularly funny (I haven't watched it, but I didn't think Clay's bit was at all funny - although he was verra, verra CUTE! I thought the jokes fell flat and the audience was not very responsive because of that.) But I think his review was slanted because of his political perspective and perhaps his so-called moral perspective. He of course is totally entitled to his opinion but I do think he came off as an ultra-conservative who doesn't like Rosie because she is a liberal democrat, outspoken and gay!

JMO and all that.

Clay WAS adorable, however. His shoulders looked HUGE!! And the guy with the coconuts was definitely the flying nun!

Not all of us Republicans are ultra-conservative or homophobic...I happen to agree with the review...I didn't think it was family friendly, it was unfunny and I didn't think Rosie was a very good host.

You know I really am getting tired of being bashed for my beliefs...not only are you intolerant, but insulting as well...

Kim

I didn't really get all that from the review but it's a tv show - don't really mind reviews from folks of all persuasions...mostly I took from him that he thought it sucked. But I did see the posted clips and the show has been touted as something for people from 4 to 90 - so as far as I'm concerned that gets to be part of the review. I'm about as far away from conservative as one can get and I'm not finding it all that good so far. And when it comes to entertainment, nobody gets bonus points because our politics are more aligned. If I feel the same by the end I doubt I'd watch it again...unless Clay is on of course and then

ALL BETS ARE OFF :cryingwlaughter:

I am a big Rosie fan and was really looking forward to watching it. I did not find it very funny, and I agree that most of the jokes fell flat. The best part for me, other than when Clay made his appearance, was Conan getting a pie thrust in his face. Can only wish the same thing had happened to KG. Rosie seemed nervous and IMO was trying too hard to be funny. It did not work for me. Clay appeared to be very comfortable and natural on the stage. He definitely held his own in his little chat with Rosie. Somehow, I do not think that the little gay joke between him and Rosie was necessary. It was not funny to me. The main thing that both have in common is that they are both very talented, caring people, JMO. I do wish that he had gotten to sing. IMO there was too much going on to fit into a one hour show, and it seemed too hectic and rushed.

I hope that she gets another chance and that the show improves. If it does continue, I think that Clay will be a frequent guest.

Calurker,

What is going on in Rosie's world right now? What have I missed?

Well, I was trying to figure out why the producers of Spamalot would let Clay out of a performance to go perform on a TV show--but now I understand. Good move. He gets to plug Spam and look awfully cute in the process. I like that he can joke about being gay. Good for him.

As for the show--I'm not WILD about variety shows, and I'm finding this a little dark (literally--not enough light) for my tastes. I thought Liza Minneli was dead--shows what I know. Don't know if I would watch it regularly, but it's good to see something different. Liked the political jokes! And we should all be thanking God for Obama because he represents the right to vote and select the candidate the majority wants. Most people in the world can't do that. Not sure why that would be offensive!

Is there anyone who is technically savvy enough to capture a few seconds of the Clay download from the Rosie show for me? To make a gif? OMG...I HAVE to have that gif for my avie....

on the download I watched (from the CH vault)...it's like 1:36-1:39 His tongue is going NUTS! I MUST have it! :cryingwlaughter:

It's great...if anybody knows how to do this, please let me know. :praying:

JMO and all that.

Not all of us Republicans are ultra-conservative or homophobic...I happen to agree with the review...I didn't think it was family friendly, it was unfunny and I didn't think Rosie was a very good host.

You know I really am getting tired of being bashed for my beliefs...not only are you intolerant, but insulting as well...

Kim

Well Kim, unless you wrote the review I wasn't talking about you and if you read what I actually wrote, I never said, or even implied, ALL republicans were ultra-conservative or homophobic. I just said that the review sounded as if it was written by someone who was.

I was not bashing YOU or insulting YOU. You were not who I was talking about unless, as I said, you wrote the review.

I am NOT intolerant and nothing I said in my opinion of that review suggested that and I was NOT even insulting to the reviewer - and again it was not about YOU. You, however, certainly have shown intolerance for my opinion and have been insulting to my beliefs now, haven't you.

If you can express your opinions why can't I? Heaven knows you have certainly made your dislike of Rosie known! I think much of what you have said about her was very insulting and intolerant. You were able to say you agreed with the review so why couldn't I express my opinion about it?

Geez. Chill out!