#44: We think we'll keep him!!!!

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• I'll connect with this man in any way at any time.
    • He could sing me the Invisionfree terms of service agreement and I'd love it, so any new songs are obviously going to be coolness squared.
    • He owns us.
    • Just sing to me, pretty boy!

Loved, loved, loved these little Chat details from hobbitkitty at CV:

I am still on cloud 9 from yesterday. It was one of the most incredible Clay experiences I've ever had. Him sitting 2 feet away, just talking. I'm amazed that some folks were able to take notes, but I'm so grateful that they did!

I remember the little details though, like when he went to stand up, and his pearly white Iphone fell out of his pocket. Or the fact that his right shoelace was almost untied. Or when he scratched his chest and you could actually hear it. Or the fact that you could still see the black tights from the show tucked into his striped, mismatched socks. Or when he cussed and whispered, "If only you knew." o.0 Or when he went to sit at the edge of the stage, he started kicking his feet, then asked the audience, "What am I kicking?" Then when folks answered that it was the security camera, he stopped kicking immediately and did this "Uh Oh" face and looked over to one of the stage people on the side and said, "Oops. It's Todd's camera. I'm sorry!" He looked like a little kid who was going to get a time out. Or when he asked a woman in the audience if she was Canadian, and then said, "See, I knew it." Or how he will snarkily joke with someone in the audience when pointing them out and saying, "Yes you. Stop looking around, I'm talking to you." Or the way that he points to you and looks you straight in the eye as you are asking your question, then answers the question to the entire audience, but still comes right back to you after he's done, and looks you in the eye one more time.

Oh and he did answer my question. I tried to come up with one that I didn't think he was asked before, that somehow related to Spamalot. So, I asked him if after Spam was over, if he would finally watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail. He answered that he owns it now, and has almost watched it 4 or 5 times, but hasn't actually watched it yet. He pretty much wants "this" meaning Spamalot, to be his memory. And he's had people tell him that the movie and the show are very similar, so all in all, he probably won't end up watching it.

Cancer and Virgo adore you.

(my bolding!) Oh, yes, YES! I do!

Whatever....you know? I'm gonna join jamar in a :cocktail: (and hopefully really and truly, jamar, in NYC Jan 4!) As I peruse the boards I am flabbergasted yet resigned at the many, many spins being put on the reports of Clay's words. Never mind those of us who are getting the 'word' through multiple filters---I bet even the people sitting there looking at him would present different interpretations of what he said.

And they were there! As has been said before, he's a mystery wrapped in an enigma and that ain't gonna change, so.....

I like his answer about Thanksgiving---that he was alone and had a sandwich---'coss to me that was his way of saying, "none of your bee's wax!" and that leaves me to my rather fertile imagination... :whistling-1: (a world, by the way, that is MUCH more entertaining that the message boards... :sleezy:)

BTW...does anyone here have a recommendation for a good software download that will allow me to transfer songs from an iPod to my laptop's iTunes library? :lilredani: I've actually done this before but it was long ago and I must not have saved the info....or something. :unsure:

Here's what I think---Clay pretty much needs to start again. He'll always have some of us--we fans who've loved him from the beginning, those of us who talk 'unconditional' and who believe in his talent and his heart. But for many---in fact, for a large majority of the 'buying' public---he is NOT on their radar for the right reasons.

For many out there Clay is a familiar name more for the 'news' about him, the blurbs, the headlines, the jokes, the things we acknowledge but---because we're 'close'---try to ignore. But for those whose sensibilities are constantly being bombarded more with the sensational than with the voice, the wit, the intelligence, the stage presence? He is more likely that dork from AI with the big voice ("Is he still singing?" "He didn't win, did he?" "I knew he was gay!")

So after Spamalot? I hope that if Clay truly wants to have a singing career, a long-term career, he'll surround himself with professional, savvy experts in the industry---people who have no particular bias or agenda other than to do right by their client---and look toward the future with an eye on successfully re-introducing 'the real Clay' to the world.

I hope it includes years and years of Clay being happy in his personal life and being successful in his professional one. Selfishly, I also hope that his professional life includes lots of tours and songs showcasing that once-in-a-lifetime voice. Because I honestly cannot imagine my life without that voice.

muski... I agree with 95% of your post! Especially the last paragraph!!! In fact that's my most fervant wish for him on this day of his 30th birthday... thanks for saying better than I could have!!!

Happy Birthday, Clay!!! Yes, even tho it's the dreaded 30th! :cryingwlaughter:

:bdayparty2: Now that you're so ancient and obviously are slowing down with age... don't let this guy catch you!!! :killer_rabbit: hehehe

ETA: My current favorite Clay pick to celebrate...

tn-500_3.jpg

Clay is talented and unique. After 5 years, he's still around while many AIs have fallen off the radar or are certainly not on ET and don't generate the interest Clay does. I have no worries about his longterm career. This is a hard time for the music and entertainment industry. There is a lot of fallout going on, but when the smoke clears, I expect to see that crooked grin and sparkling eyes.

Mascara, eyeliner and all.

Here is Clay's horoscope from Washington Post (by Holiday Mathis):

Today's Birthday, Nov. 30: Every year you get better at giving your attention to what and whom you really love. You'll be spending your time in the most productive ways and life reflects your stellar priorities. A powerful person offers you help in December. A love match is made in January. Financial success in March emboldens you. Cancer and Virgo adore you.

(bolding mine)...Yes I do!

K'andre You rock!

Kim

As a fellow Virgo -- WOOHOO!!!!!

I'm still KAndre's minion. Just sayin'.

Happy birthday Mr. Clay Aiken!

You've brought so much into my life, including to learn to love roller coasters. *g* Thank you dude.

Speaking of talk shows, this one sounds really close to Clay's dream (except more focussed on music perhaps than he might want to be). From the NYTimes, Is It a Talk Show if the Host Sings?

Is It a Talk Show if the Host Sings?

By MELENA RYZIK

Published: November 28, 2008

ELVIS COSTELLO would be a natural on TV — or so people kept telling him. For years he believed it, entertaining meetings with the BBC and others as far back as the late 1980s about developing his own show. But nothing stuck, even after he filled in as a host of “Late Show” when David Letterman was recovering from shingles in 2003.

Cue Elton John. Mr. John and David Furnish, his partner, are friends of Mr. Costello’s through his wife, the jazz singer and pianist Diana Krall. (The two were married at Mr. John and Mr. Furnish’s English castle in 2003.) So last year, when Mr. Furnish was approached by a Canadian production company about creating a music-oriented program, one frontman came to mind.

“David and I were sitting in our house in France,” Mr. John said in a phone interview, “and we said, wouldn’t it be great to do a proper, full-length musical show, because we live in a sound-bite culture. Elvis has experience, he’s got an encyclopedic knowledge of music. We’re both completely anorak, as they say in Britain, geeks or nerds, on music. He’s the one.”

The result is “Spectacle: Elvis Costello With ...,” an hourlong show set to debut on the Sundance Channel on Wednesday. It is a mix of music and talk and music-oriented talk, with Mr. Costello, 54, serving as host and musical director; he also performs for — or with — all his guests.

Stylistically it is a blend of “The Dick Cavett Show,” “Inside the Actors Studio” and “Charlie Rose,” with singers like Tony Bennett, Lou Reed, Rufus Wainwright and Smokey Robinson discussing their history and influences at length. (Mr. John is the guest on the premiere episode.)

While artists talking shop have long been a draw on cable — on Sundance’s “Iconoclasts” they come from different genres — the appeal of “Spectacle” has much to do with Mr. Costello’s intergenerational coolness.

“We got a lot of people to say yes straightaway because it was Elvis,” said Mr. John, an executive producer along with Mr. Furnish. “If we hadn’t had Elvis, we would not have been able to make this series, without question.”

Still, when Mr. Costello was approached, he didn’t bite at first. “Well, I could do it,” he recalled thinking. “But shall we?”

He was persuaded in part because there was “no compulsion to talk about the new product, the thing that’s coming out next week,” he said. “And nobody’s saying, ‘Wind it up after a couple seconds because we’ve got to get to the recipes.’ ”

Instead there are more likely to be call-outs to semi-obscure musicians and discussions of the origins of the singer-songwriter. Each show begins with Mr. Costello performing a song written by or inspired by his guest — “Bordertown” in Mr. John’s case; “If I Only Had a Brain” from “The Wizard of Oz” for Mr. Wainwright (“Rufus’s songs are too difficult for me to sing,” Mr. Costello said, so he referenced his re-creation of Judy Garland’s Carnegie Hall concert) and Elvis Presley’s “Mystery Train” for Bill Clinton, who will appear on the Dec. 17 episode. There are 13 episodes in all, taped in front of audiences at Studio 8H (the “Saturday Night Live” space) and the Apollo Theater. Guests with the house band have included the guitarist Bill Frisell and the bassist Charlie Haden.

“When I met him for our pitch, he said, ‘I want this be to a show about genres of music that may have been forgotten, about artists that haven’t been in the spotlight and people performing in a way they haven’t before,’ ” said Laura Michalchyshyn, the general manager of the Sundance Channel, who considered Mr. Costello’s Letterman gig a de facto audition. “His big, big point was ‘We are going to film for a much longer period than a conventional talk show. We’re going to jam.’ ”

Mr. Costello added: “The number doesn’t have to be three minutes long. It can be seven minutes long if it needs to be. We’ll just use less talking.”

Before this interview in his Midtown hotel suite, Mr. Costello gulped a bit of soup while standing up. It had been one of those mad days, he said. But he was as sharply dressed as ever, in a gray hat, stiff-shouldered dark suit, blue floral shirt, pointy patent-leather shoes, black scarf printed with red skulls and several silver bracelets. Everything about him seemed rakish, from the tilt of his hat to the angle at which he finally sat on the couch, caressing a furry brown pillow.

He’s an eager talker, though on the show he is equally — visibly — adept at listening. He keeps notes on a clipboard, à la David Frost, and, with a small staff, conducts research — he even visited Mr. Reed’s studio — scouts for video and writes questions. For Mr. Clinton’s appearance he uncovered other presidential musicians (Thomas Jefferson played the clavichord; John Quincy Adams, the flute), and asked him whether his speechifying was helped by the rhythm he learned as a saxophonist. (“Absolutely.”)

Mr. Costello came up with the name of the show and was particular about its look. “It’s not overlit,” he said. “That’s always bugged me about television. You feel like meat in a butcher’s.”

Making his guests comfortable enough to pierce the usual celebrity gabfest was paramount. As he tells Mr. John in the premiere episode, “It took me a while to work out whether this new identity was supposed to be a suit of armor or a Superman suit that I got into in a telephone box and sort of emerged out of.”

No one seems particularly concerned that the program has a definite baby-boomer slant. Though Sundance executives made suggestions about guests, along the lines of Beyoncé, in the end Mr. Costello, Mr. Furnish and Mr. John made most of the invitations themselves. “Not everybody that plays an instrument is actually that interesting,” Mr. Costello said.

Mr. John added, “I just wanted to make a deeply intelligent set of programs that, in years to come, people can look back on as a historical reference.”

Despite that shared interest in history, after more than three decades in the music business Mr. Costello was tiring of pop stardom himself; last year he was telling friends that he was done making records. “And I really believed it,” he said. “It wasn’t so much the making the record, it was all the other nonsense.” Instead he made guest appearances on albums by Lucinda Williams, Jenny Lewis — she’s also on the show — and Fall Out Boy. That last request came as a surprise: “I didn’t even know they existed,” he said. (He agreed, he said, because they seemed sincere.)

The collaboration with Ms. Lewis, an indie siren, spurred him to make another album with his band, the Imposters, and her as guest, called “Momofuku,” after Momofuku Ando, the inventor of ramen. “The record was made in secret,” he said, “and I didn’t want to have my name on the studio door, so I just gave it a code name, and it stuck, as noodles are wont to do.”

He chose not to promote the album at all but played five songs from it nightly on his recent tour. “So if people wanted to hear them they could go buy the record or steal it off the Internet — whatever makes them happy — and I can go do something else,” he said. He and Ms. Krall balance near-constant touring with 2-year-old twin sons. “Our life is not exactly conventional,” he said, “but that’s how we set out.”

Though Mr. John is already talking about another season of “Spectacle” — he has lined up Eminem as a guest — the executives at Sundance are more measured. The show is a co-production of four studios in three countries, including Channel Four in Britain and the international distributor Fremantle Media (“American Idol”). “It’s the four sets of financiers who will have a big post-mortem once the show goes on the air,” Ms. Michalchyshyn said.

In the meantime Mr. Costello is not giving up live music. “Singing in front of a band is like standing in front of a jet engine,” he said. “I’m not looking for a long-term career in television.”

He added, “I don’t watch television.” Especially when he’s on it: “How horrifying.”

I wish I got the Sundance channel--I'd love to watch this.

Speaking of talk shows, this one sounds really close to Clay's dream (except more focussed on music perhaps than he might want to be). From the NYTimes, Is It a Talk Show if the Host Sings?

I wish I got the Sundance channel--I'd love to watch this.

Me too!....and me too. Thanks for posting that.

This is the first time I have been here today and I must say I am a little surprised the link was pulled. (I went to bed last night before I read that less anyone think I was just being a bitch and refused to pull it....) Personally, I think its hypocritical to pull that link when the the vaults are filled with ill-begotten clack. I mean, think of all the clack in the vaults taken at concerts where Jerome busted people. Wasn't that the same as Clay saying not to record anything? But yet it was freely shared on the boards and sits proudly in the vaults.

I do not understand the difference here. It seems in rereading Clay's blog his request was more based on getting caught and how that would eat into the time than any moral implications from recording this. Its not like it was copyrighted material like the show itself!

I just think that its ridiculous it can't be posted. But its not my call.

However, if its not immoral and disrespectful to Clay to post this, if anyone wants the link, PM me. Of course by this time everyone probably already has it. :rolleyes:

From CV:

toni7babe report from Sunday matinee intermission.

Not a real big crowd—but enthusiastic!. Orchestra some empty seats in back and on the sides. Mezzanine and Balcony—some empties. Galahad and Patsy are out.

Lots of Clay fans and lots of good cheering.

Lady of the Lake—when she comes out in her armor, she purposely threw it right to Clay. He was all excited. In her big number, she broke out into singing “Invisible.” Really cute. Big cheers.

In Camelot--the girls were all over him, skirts and butt slapping very special. The dice girl gave him quite an extended spanking.

The end of the run away scene was hysterical. The French girl had her dress all up and over him for a prolonged period of time—totally covered him and messed his hair--went on and on. Really cute.

Find Your Grail scene—kick ass.

Very, very happy. Looks like the girls are doing some birthday teasing.

This is the first time I have been here today and I must say I am a little surprised the link was pulled. (I went to bed last night before I read that less anyone think I was just being a bitch and refused to pull it....) Personally, I think its hypocritical to pull that link when the the vaults are filled with ill-begotten clack. I mean, think of all the clack in the vaults taken at concerts where Jerome busted people. Wasn't that the same as Clay saying not to record anything? But yet it was freely shared on the boards and sits proudly in the vaults.

I do not understand the difference here. It seems in rereading Clay's blog his request was more based on getting caught and how that would eat into the time than any moral implications from recording this. Its not like it was copyrighted material like the show itself!

However, if its not immoral and disrespectful to Clay to post this, if anyone wants the link, PM me. Of course by this time everyone probably already has it. :rolleyes:

I DO understand the difference here--which is exactly the reason I grabbed that link as fast as I could and passed it on before it disappeared.

(Thanks again!)

There's a fine line between legal ill-begotten clack and illegal ill-begotten clack.

There's a fine line between legal ill-begotten clack and illegal ill-begotten clack.

:blink:

:huh:

BWAH! :cryingwlaughter:wanda, you CMSU!

Oh...and I found something to transfer my new old ipod stuff to my external hard drive. When that's done, I can pick and choose what I want to add to my iTunes library, then reset my ipod and re-sync with my NEW! IMPROVED! library!

BTW...the guy I bought this iPod from evidently enjoys Christian and gospel, etc. There are a lot of mp4s and songs in this genre...if anyone is into that and would like to see what titles I have before I delete them, let me know. If there are some goodies you'd like to have for your own, we can work out a good way for me to get them to you!

Uh...ETA. I think....I'm looking at the names of the tracks being copied---haven't actually listened to anything yet---and if I'm not mistaken, I THINK this guy has someone reading the entire Bible on here! :unsure:

Holy Sh...

uh...yeah.

*looks around for annabear, queen of Spamisms, in much the same manner as Lance and Herbert look for his father*

:clay:

My theme for this weekend was "I'm not yet dead!" as I finished cleaning up the left-over residual CRAP at the apartment. My Spamisms are slipping... need a refresher... in about 31 days... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Today's Birthday, Nov. 30: Every year you get better at giving your attention to what and whom you really love. You'll be spending your time in the most productive ways and life reflects your stellar priorities. A powerful person offers you help in December. A love match is made in January. Financial success in March emboldens you. Cancer and Virgo adore you.

(my bolding) I have no idea about the rest, but I sure think that statement is true!

And I and about half the board--Cancer--adore him too!!

Speaking up for Leo too!

Yes, Leos love Clay, too! Roarrrr! luvclayseverything.jpg

:confetti-1::cake::bdayparty2::cake::confetti-1:

Verra, verra, verra :happybirthday01: wishes to Mr. Aiken!

:confetti-1::cake::bdayparty2::cake::confetti-1:

You can add Gemini's to that list too. Sure hope the other things in his horoscope works out too. He sure deserves to find his love match. Not including Parker there because that is a whole different kind of love.

And I like the part that says a powerful person will help him in December. He's made some big connections so I'm praying. Unless its another person like Clive, who I think is an idiot.

I think he's already reached financial success and I'm sure he's handling his money well because he's always been pretty sharp about that, starting from when he had bought his apartment while in college. Not too many college students think about doing something like that, including my own, so I was impressed.

(bolding mine)...Yes I do!

K'andre You rock!

Kim

And I and about half the board--Cancer--adore him too!!

Another Cancerian who adores him!!! :BlowKiss: (re-bolding mine)

I don't know why but I couldn't post here this am so I had to put my birthday greetings on the blog comments.

Happy_Birthday_Wishes-Birthday-148_big.g

I don't control the vaults. Not that I would throw it all out anyway. There is a wink wink nod to this whole thing and has been for a long time. But here's the difference. Clay BLOGGED and asked us specifically not to record - tell your friends who are on the way NOT to record. Not wink wink..don't record. It's that simple. He's only done that a few times in the last 5 years so I didn't find it a hard decision to make. If you read my post clearly you'd see that I am well aware that everyone in Clay Nation knows how to get this without posting a direct link on this public board so am not calling anyone immorral or disrespectful for wanting it. Go for it and thank you for sharing it. I have great faith in our members not to post it on youtube. But I don't have the same faith in people I don't know. It really is the very least that I could do and don't feel the least bit hypocritical for coming to that decision.

Wandacleo - lol yeah.. it was up for awhile before I saw it and so I knew it was snatched and thus could be shared approriately LOL.

Another Gemini who adores our birthday boy!

Love the wallpaper, cindilu! :thbighug-1: The Christmas tree is so pretty. Trouble is I kept clicking on the tree ornaments instead of my icons (D101!), so I had to move them...the icons, not the ornaments.

I don't control the vaults. Not that I would throw it all out anyway. There is a wink wink nod to this whole thing and has been for a long time. But here's the difference. Clay BLOGGED and asked us specifically not to record - tell your friends who are on the way NOT to record. Not wink wink..don't record. It's that simple. He's only done that a few times in the last 5 years so I didn't find it a hard decision to make. If you read my post clearly you'd see that I am well aware that everyone in Clay Nation knows how to get this without posting a direct link on this public board so am not calling anyone immorral or disrespectful for wanting it. Go for it and thank you for sharing it. I have great faith in our members not to post it on youtube. But I don't have the same faith in people I don't know. It really is the very least that I could do and don't feel the least bit hypocritical for coming to that decision.

Wandacleo - lol yeah.. it was up for awhile before I saw it and so I knew it was snatched and thus could be shared approriately LOL.

To be fair, it is your interpretation that there was no wink wink nod nod in his post. My interpretation when I read it was he was more concerned that if people got caught it would eat into the time they had. Regardless, I don't see the harm in posting the link, but this isn't my board so its not my call.

Guess this is just one more example of how out-of-step I am with many in this fandom, but then again, who don't know that!! :cryingwlaughter:

Another Cancerian who's hot for Clay here!

From CV via CH:

Just talked (via text) to crazyaboutclay. She's at the theater. Saw Clay walk in - he's so talented, he was walking and using his lap top at same time. She said lots of fans with balloons and gifts for the birthday boyman. She said she saw Jerome open the trunk and there was a black and white painting in there (she didn't see it closely); said she wasn't stalking, just happened to be walking by at that time.

toni7babe called with final report from Sunday matinee.

Barricades up, lots of people waiting, no one came out. They didn’t see Jerome. Other Security Guard said no one was coming out.

It was the last night for one of the ensemble Knights and at the end, the cast were all pointing at him and highlighting him.

No references to Clay’s birthday in the show.

His big number—superb, great cheers. Lots of whistles when he did his tunic flip.

Guard scene—played with the ribbons on his hat and sword.

Looked like they were all having a ball, very happy.

Dance at the end--put his hands behind his head, elbows out to the side and 2 good thrusts.

Wonderful show, wonderful time. She called from the cab on the way to the airport, raining, 8:00 flight. Feeling a bit nostalgic. These were her last shows of Spamalot.

cindi... those calendars are gorgeous and I can't wait to put them on my computer at work tomorrow!

Another Libran who adores Mr. Aiken.

I have always thought that those who criticize his makeup, hair, song choice, etc, are really afraid that if he doesn't do everything just right, by their standards, he will lose his career and they won't have him anymore. They'd be a lot happier if they just enjoyed him in the moment and let the future take care of itself. JMHO!

I think it's also just part of being a fan. For some reason Clay brings out protective insticts but really it's hair. It's a common fandom thing, any fandom.

CG..I have no clue what the other boards are doing so you're just out of step with me. I try not to interfere too much with the board so when I do just know it's done with all thoughtfullness.