#45: He Owns Us...

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Avoid the crazy, enjoy the good, and chill.
    • How come I didn't notice before that he is so cute? Why didn't someone tell me?
    • Clay was a revelation, like fire and music
    • OMG...is this guy CUTE or WHAT?!?!?!?
    • Clay didn't just come out, he kicked down the door.
    • I think Clay Aiken is pretty special
    • Clay Aiken: High Priest of Hotness
    • Dear God: You do good work.
    • The man is priceless!
    • Clay really is a treasure.
    • Adorable times two!

Couchie, I'm thinking positive thoughts for you mama. Please keep us informed.

Fear Congratulations. It's always good to see a child doing well!

Richard Chamberlain??? Thud!!!!!! Gahh!!!

You know I feel old......at the OFC there are people saying they have no clue who he is!!!

no idea who that is lol I even went to look at pictures and still have no idea..dont feel old..apparently he is awesome, so Im the one missing out :)

I have pretty much decided by now, but Ill share with you anyways..after some really awful stuff thats happened with my family, I was offered a job taking care of a friend of mine as her caregiver in Daly City, California...moving away from home and away from my family terrifies me, but a change may be a good thing..dont know how Ill do in California..talk about a culture shock from oregon haha

You know I feel old......at the OFC there are people saying they have no clue who he is!!!

no idea who that is lol I even went to look at pictures and still have no idea..dont feel old..apparently he is awesome, so Im the one missing out :)

I have pretty much decided by now, but Ill share with you anyways..after some really awful stuff thats happened with my family, I was offered a job taking care of a friend of mine as her caregiver in Daly City, California...moving away from home and away from my family terrifies me, but a change may be a good thing..dont know how Ill do in California..talk about a culture shock from oregon haha

smitten :thbighug-1: I've been reading about your situation on CV and wanted to add my support in your decision to try the California opportunity. I think it will be a very good thing for you, but if it doesn't work out, at least you will have tried. It might give your family one less thing to worry about right now too and, at the same time, open up some doors for you. I think you need this!

Richard Chamberlain...be still my heart!! :lilredani: Dr, Kildare, Father Ralph (The Thornbirds)...sigh!! My very favourite mini-series with him was Shogun, though. I loved Anjin San...I think it might have been the beard...don't know why, but men, gay or straight, should all try growing one at least once....for me, if no one else! My single biggest regret was not seeing Clay at the first Raleigh Gala, pre-Afghanistan. (another sigh!)

He was/is in fact awesome. Every woman's dream. Shogun....oh my! Thornbirds.....oh my! Ha it really doesn't seem that long ago but I guess it is.

I never knew he was gay. I never noticed things like that. The media never remarked on it and no one talked about it because it just wasn't important what people did behind closed doors. Laisser faire attitude.

I never knew he was gay. I never noticed things like that. The media never remarked on it and no one talked about it because it just wasn't important what people did behind closed doors. Laisser faire attitude.

You know, merrieee...it's interesting. The first time I really THOUGHT about the gay community (other than sorta 'wondering' about a guy in my high school chorus class and thinking he might be 'queer'...but it wasn't talked about among my friends, I know that)...anyway, when Freddy Mercury's story was told and then the talk about Rock Hudson when he fell ill due to AIDS related reasons--that's probably when I ever really thought about it.

In Hudson's case, the women in his public life were evidently all part of the movie studio's management of the movie stars' lives in that time, but I know that I never even considered him to be anything but the handsome hunk he presented himself to be. (I never really cared that much about him, either, so my interest and information was of the superficial kind.) I've since learned about other closeted movie stars in those decades (ie, Montgomery Cliff) and how the studios pretty much owned both the person and his/her image...but you're right, it was all NOT for public consumption. The Hollywood community might have known but it efforts were made to keep it local to that community.

So unlike today. God, I know celebrity has its perks (money mostly, in my opinion)...but the rape of one's LIFE it also means makes me actually sympathize with those who sincerely do NOT seek such exposure--just because in our world now their career choice forces them to include opening EVERYthing to people they will never meet.

Sigh....I certainly would NOT want to be a celebrity and wonder when various things about my past might be unearthed and spun and embellished or just plain presented incorrectly to the world.

(shivers) :unsure:

heh....but THAT'S another fanfiction story, for sure... :sleezy:

Thanks for the congrats. My son worked really hard for this as he is ADD and we couldn't be prouder.

Fear... oh, I'm glad you said this... my oldest DGS is ADD and I have worried about his future. He's a senior in HS and is smart but gets bad graded cause he doesn't do his homework, tho he gets A's and B's on his tests. He even went to the Principal and said the system was broken in that someone who got a C/D on their tests, but did all their homework got better grades than those, like him, who got good grades on their tests but didn't do their homework. Brave kid... and he's right.

Smitten... go for it. I live 2000 miles from my family (except my kids/grandkids) and I am soooo happy about those miles! We don't bite here in CA, honest! :cryingwlaughter:

He was/is in fact awesome. Every woman's dream. Shogun....oh my! Thornbirds.....oh my! Ha it really doesn't seem that long ago but I guess it is.

merrieeee.... too bad that Laissier faire attitude went away! It now seems to ultra important for everyone to know for some odd reason.

Couchie, hope everything goes well with your mom. And congratulations Fear, to your son.

I'm going to put out another view about the gay community and privacy of celebrities. I'm glad things are changing because at least now some people are able to feel more secure about who they are. Why was it better to have to pretend to be something you weren't? At least today, more people like Clay can come out with a better chance of acceptance than there was in Rock Hudon's time. I never think anyone should be forced to come out, but I am glad when famous people do because hopefully one day no one will have to hide who they are. Maybe one day it won't be an issue about who someone loves but until then, it helps to have famous celebrities show that gay people aren't freaks and in some cases, like Clay, are really exceptional human beings.

I'm going to put out another view about the gay community and privacy of celebrities. I'm glad things are changing because at least now some people are able to feel more secure about who they are. Why was it better to have to pretend to be something you weren't? At least today, more people like Clay can come out with a better chance of acceptance than there was in Rock Hudon's time. I never think anyone should be forced to come out, but I am glad when famous people do because hopefully one day no one will have to hide who they are. Maybe one day it won't be an issue about who someone loves but until then, it helps to have famous celebrities show that gay people aren't freaks and in some cases, like Clay, are really exceptional human beings.

I grew up in the 50/60s and I knew people that were what were called queer back in the day! Everyone did but no one was bothered about it, where I grew up. I had two Girl Guide mistresses that were "friends" living together. No one talked about them. They just lived their life and no one cared. I went on camping trips with them and it didn't matter. As open as a society is today there would still be people saying they would be a bad influence....OMG those girls, in their care, might turn gay!

Honestly...I think there's a balance that can be struck between a celebrities personal life/privacy and acknowledging things such as homosexuality. I totally get both sides of the issue, and I appreciate justclay for bringing it up. I personally would have hated being Rock Hudson, in the 1950's, having to marry someone when he just wasn't all that interested, just to keep the "image." I find that incredibly sad.

I think the key phrase to merrieee's story is this: "where I grew up." I think where I grew up, the rumors would have been flying! That's what happens when you grow up in a small town, fairly conservative area. (I've hopefully shed most of that...)

And this whole idea sparked something in me, and so, being the librarian, I had to Google. Gossip magazines aren't a new idea; not by a long shot. You might want to check out a few of the headlines from this page: Hush-Hush magazine. Scandals were being "tittered" about back in the 1950's as well; it's just that today, the "tittering" is much more public, thanks to the World Wide Web. As much as things change, much also stays the same. I wish I knew why we as a society are so interested in celebrities and their "scandals/secret lives"; maybe there's a sociology paper in there somewhere?

I grew up in a small town too, and believe me, its not just celebrities private lives that get gossiped about. Some of it probably comes from boredom, and sometimes its just nasty people who do it to make themselves feel better. For someone like Clay though, it may have to do with people wanting to have some kind of connection. Or maybe, like me, people feel some kind of bond and we just want to make sure that he is happy. Plus I'm nosy, at least when it comes to Clay. Everyone else, meh.

They are:

Jan 2 at 8:00 pm - orch C, row O (regular)

and

Sat, Jan. 3 at 2:00 pm - orch C, row N (premium)

both are on the aisle and the 1/3 one is a premium seat but she may take a bit off the price - the 1/2 one is face value.

Thanks chacha, but it's Saturday night we need.

This page offers discount tickets through the end of the run. I bought my tickets for last weekend using this code.

http://www.broadwaybox.com/shows/monty_pyt...yc_tickets.aspx

THANK YOU!!! :thbighug-1:

Waves to Claylove and FromClaygary. Can't wait to kick back and kick up my wheels with y'all in NYC! And Annabear, too. I do hope you will still be making the trip?

Eeeeeeee!!! Me tooooooo!! I'm getting so excited! I leave Monday for FL, and I have soooo much to do!

You take care of yourself and don't get so exhausted you can't enjoy NYC!

So I take it Rick's been out? Wow, were we ever lucky to get the full cast all 3 nights. :wub: And how cool to have seen Richard Chamberlain exit the stage door! As for the comments on the story book....don't shoot the messenger. ;) I personally love it.

I do too! Absolutely love it! ....and what a great idea to see if Clay would sign it. I may have to take mine with....not that I'll ever get close to the screen door. :lol:

Eeeeeee!! re Richard Chamberlain...havent' seen either of the movies, but loved him in Dr. Kildare. Wonder if Clay knew who he was? :lol:

(((((Couchiemama)))))

Fearson :dancingpickle: (dancing broccoli is my FAVE....)

Thanks for the congrats. My son worked really hard for this as he is ADD and we couldn't be prouder.

Fear... oh, I'm glad you said this... my oldest DGS is ADD and I have worried about his future. He's a senior in HS and is smart but gets bad graded cause he doesn't do his homework, tho he gets A's and B's on his tests. He even went to the Principal and said the system was broken in that someone who got a C/D on their tests, but did all their homework got better grades than those, like him, who got good grades on their tests but didn't do their homework. Brave kid... and he's right.

My son is also ADHD and the situation you are describing fits to a T. I actually called the school (yet again) to discuss it this afternoon. In English, my son was one of the first student's to finish the book......in class he knows all the answers. He usually aces his tests. As of the time we left for NYC, he had a mark in the low 50s. But homework or assignments.......ugh. He managed to get one done a couple of weeks ago by going to the resource room on his spare period, and wouldn't you know, the teacher lost it? So he got zero anyways. Not exactly the motivation he needed to do the next one. And apparently something was assigned and due in the two days he was in NYC.....he found out yesterday he got zero on that as well. He now has a 45%. So I'm fighting both of the zeros. Every mark helps.

Congrats to your son, Fear! It is quite an accomplishment!

I have nothing to add to the ongoing "gay" conversation. I see both sides of the situation. I'd like nothing better than for a person's sexuality to be no more important than their hair colour, but I don't see that day coming any time soon. I applaud anyone (especially in the public eye) who has the guts to come out.

Luckiest1 :thumbsup: re the gay thing. There are days I fear for Clay; but most days I'm just so DARNed proud of him. :wub:

Here's a little laugh for those as tired of winter as I am:

....and over at the CV they're saying:

Well In Touch is coming out with a article this week, that Jaymes and Clay are trying for another baby in January...it is all over the blogs on Google.

IIT...... :dancingpickle::dancingpickle::dancingpickle:

They really, really need that little red-headed girl. :wub:

ETA: here's the article....that's not really what it says.

In_Touch_12_17_08.jpg

Luckiest1 :thumbsup: re the gay thing. There are days I fear for Clay; but most days I'm just so DARNed proud of him. :wub:

Here's a little laugh for those as tired of winter as I am:

....and over at the CV they're saying:

Well In Touch is coming out with a article this week, that Jaymes and Clay are trying for another baby in January...it is all over the blogs on Google.

IIT...... :dancingpickle::dancingpickle::dancingpickle:

They really, really need that little red-headed girl. :wub:

ETA: here's the article....that's not really what it says.

In_Touch_12_17_08.jpg

Well, well here they go again, clay will tell us if it's true when he's ready. If it's true it would good for Parker to have a sibling. Good for them, I hope for the best in whatever they do. Wow in 15 days I'll be seeing Spamalot. yoo ooo

Hi everyone...I'm back! LOL

I just got home and only read this page but how funny/interesting that you are talking about "gay" celebrities because I was going to ask you something kind of, sort of, having to do with that. I had such a great Clay day today and something occurred to me. Is Clay considered "cool" now? Here in Tulsa, we are lucky to hear Clay once a day on one radio station, KBEZ, singing OHN, but today, they played him 4 times that I heard...The Christmas Song, Mary Did you Know, Oh Holy Night, and **drum roll** All is Well!!! They played that one on my drive home, which they really should not do because when he sings that long note and the music stops, well, it just takes my breath away, which really is not safe while one is driving. But seriously, is the world coming to an end or is Clay "cool" now? Whatever, I'm loving it! LOL

BTW, they stream - www.kbez.com Click Listen Live over on the left. They are playing Christmas music 24/7.

As for Richard Chamberlain...I loved him! (I don't know, I must have a "thing" for gay guys or something.) Remember when Dr. Kildare was popular, they sold those white doctor shirts that snapped or buttoned on the top from the neck to the sleeve back then?

Hi everyone...I'm back! LOL

I just got home and only read this page but how funny/interesting that you are talking about "gay" celebrities because I was going to ask you something kind of, sort of, having to do with that. I had such a great Clay day today and something occurred to me. Is Clay considered "cool" now? Here in Tulsa, we are lucky to hear Clay once a day on one radio station, KBEZ, singing OHN, but today, they played him 4 times that I heard...The Christmas Song, Mary Did you Know, Oh Holy Night, and **drum roll** All is Well!!! They played that one on my drive home, which they really should not do because when he sings that long note and the music stops, well, it just takes my breath away, which really is not safe while one is driving. But seriously, is the world coming to an end or is Clay "cool" now? Whatever, I'm loving it! LOL

BTW, they stream - www.kbez.com Click Listen Live over on the left. They are playing Christmas music 24/7.

As for Richard Chamberlain...I loved him! (I don't know, I must have a "thing" for gay guys or something.) Remember when Dr. Kildare was popular, they sold those white doctor shirts that snapped or buttoned on the top from the neck to the sleeve back then?

I had a great Clay day too! I found 3 AIW in the bin at our local Walmart! I'm so happy!!

And you're right, I had forgotten all about those shirts :lol:. What a blast from the past!

The picture of Clay and Jaymes is from the David Foster Honor dinner; Dr. Phil and his wife are edited out of the picture. Link to original picture.

There was a rag mag that reported this story several months ago. Who knows?

*sigh*

Back to IIU, IIT.

*g*

Well, IIT, I really feel kind of sorry for Jaymes this time around. She was able to go through most of her pregnancy with Parker 'under the radar'. Sadly, somehow I doubt the same will be true if/when it happens again. Hopefully people can give her the respect she deserves.

Couchie and MamaTomato :hug:

Fear and Fearson - CONGRATS!!! Outstanding accomplishment!

Dr. Kildare - I vaguely remember him... I was pretty young and spent the last two years of that show (imbd tells me it ran from 61-66) in Puerto Rico and TV was in Spanish, which I didn't speak, so I didn't really watch much TV during that time. And sadly, I didn't watch Shogun or The Thorn Birds... I do remember thinking he was quite handsome though when I would see ads for the shows..

I can't imagine ever wanting to be a celebrity - God knows I don't want any crap from the past flung all around for general consumption and mockery... the money would be nice though... :cryingwlaughter:

smitten - good luck on your new "adventure" - no matter what, it's an opportunity to grow and experience more in your life! That's never a bad thing!

Well, IIT, I really feel kind of sorry for Jaymes this time around. She was able to go through most of her pregnancy with Parker 'under the radar'. Sadly, somehow I doubt the same will be true if/when it happens again. Hopefully people can give her the respect she deserves.

I totally agree, maybe she should come to quebec, no one would bother here lol

WARNING! WARNING! The first part of this interminable post relates to Clay and the most recent tabloid NEWS. The second part is solely an exercise in self-absorption and venting. Please scroll at will... :rolleyes:

PART A:

I will claim drug induced delirium if my following comments start a roll of indignation, condemnation, flagellation, frustration and other 'ation's', but

1. I don't for a minute believe that Jaymes and Clay would do this again and

2. If they indeed HAVE done this, I'm afraid I'll be totally unable to deal with it for some time and will, most likely, retreat from the fandom I know and remain a loyal and forever fan of the man, his voice, his good works and his place as my favorite entertainer.

I won't, however, trudge through

a) another round of online fan treatment of alleged second pregnancy and child (conceived of course by artificial insemination or in vitro fertilization via frozen Clay Aiken sperm or otherwise through means currently undetermined or researched);

b)the various factions of the fandom that will inevitably ensue from such an event;

c) the bombardment by 'entertainment news' shows, talk show hosts, radio disc jockeys and other 'experts' in the entertainment industry of slams, snide remarks, name-calling and other 'mentions' of Clay Aiken;

d) the newest list of prophecies of Clay's future, be it personal or career, by the usual suspects who will grace us with their vast experience and expertise in such things

Or all the other stuff that comes with the fandom of this particular man when the focus on him is of his personal decisions instead of his talent.

Just.Won't.Do.It.

I'll just listen to him sing to MEEEEEE! on my iPod, in my car, at my desk at work, at concerts when he graces us with them, on my teevee when it's something fun and/or interesting or is about his singing/acting/talk-show-hosting and not about his latest alleged GASP! behavior.

Yep. You heard it hear first, folks! :lilredani:

Why? It has nothing to do with how many children I think Clay should have or whether or not Parker should have a brother or sister, etc. I'd be surprised if Clay does NOT have more kids, although I actually imagined those additional being adopted. It only has to do with me and how I would choose to adjust my fandom profile. My personal opinion re: the 'rightness' or 'wrongness' of this story, IIT, isn't important actually. And all these words I'm spewing aren't really important to anybody but me, either! :wordpooper: Just wanted to get them out there.

PART B

And now I shall get back to putting ice packs on my face and trying to forget how--even after multiple novacaine shots, I sat in the dentist chair yet again (treatment number 4 on same tooth) and actually CRIED (and I gave birth TWICE without one freaking drug!) :AddEmoticons04212: while the fucking endodontist sliced open my gum, slashed a swelling that I'd innocently gone to his office to ask about, found a cyst, cut and drained it to remove as much visible infection as he could (gross) and then sutured my tortured gum back together with the cheerful words, "Evidently, the strain of bacteria that made your root canal necessary is quite a virulent one. Let's hope we got it this time, huh? If there's a continued problem, I'm going to have to do surgery."

Huh? What the hell did he call what he did to me today? :asshat:

Fuck you, Dr. Endodontist who watched "Marathon Man" too many times, evidently, and admires Sir Lawrence Olivier's style of dentistry. :glare:

Now, you'll be happy to read that I'm going to take another Vicadin already--yes, I realize I just took one, but I'm going to take another one.

You gotta problem with that? :5271627lilsis: