#45: He Owns Us...

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Avoid the crazy, enjoy the good, and chill.
    • How come I didn't notice before that he is so cute? Why didn't someone tell me?
    • Clay was a revelation, like fire and music
    • OMG...is this guy CUTE or WHAT?!?!?!?
    • Clay didn't just come out, he kicked down the door.
    • I think Clay Aiken is pretty special
    • Clay Aiken: High Priest of Hotness
    • Dear God: You do good work.
    • The man is priceless!
    • Clay really is a treasure.
    • Adorable times two!

Good Morning Everyone,

Safe travels to all those heading to NYC...If you see Clay at the stagedoor give him some love from me!

Don't Forget The Waiting List Tonight...10:00 EST....9:00 Central (not sure of the time on the West Coast...check your schedules!)

8 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot! :cry:

30 Days until Golfing For Inclusion!

:yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Well, the day just keeps getting stranger and stranger...

I'm looking over the email that United Sent to me last night, after the original cancellation...and I notice that it now says that we're flying INTO Newark! I could have sworn the person who called last night said that we'd be flying into LaGuardia, and we would have to switch airlines. Sure enough, I call United -- and we are flying into Newark. And -- beauty of beauties -- flying from O'Hare to Newark FIRST CLASS! Woohoo! I've always wanted to fly first class. This will actually be great, because then I might actually have a chance to sleep, which I've never been good at doing on a plane. We also don't have to switch airlines, which is a relief for me. The times I've had to switch airlines during a trip, I've known of lost luggage.

So, in about 5 1/2 hours hubby and I leave to drive to the new airport, and then will be arriving at Newark at oh-dark-30. I probably won't be checking in with you until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.

I think this is the closest I've ever felt to being on "The Amazing Race."

liney -- here is a good explanation of the Brill Building. I'll pay homage to Neil Sedaka while I'm there!

Well, the day just keeps getting stranger and stranger...

I'm looking over the email that United Sent to me last night, after the original cancellation...and I notice that it now says that we're flying INTO Newark! I could have sworn the person who called last night said that we'd be flying into LaGuardia, and we would have to switch airlines. Sure enough, I call United -- and we are flying into Newark. And -- beauty of beauties -- flying from O'Hare to Newark FIRST CLASS! Woohoo! I've always wanted to fly first class. This will actually be great, because then I might actually have a chance to sleep, which I've never been good at doing on a plane. We also don't have to switch airlines, which is a relief for me. The times I've had to switch airlines during a trip, I've known of lost luggage.

So, in about 5 1/2 hours hubby and I leave to drive to the new airport, and then will be arriving at Newark at oh-dark-30. I probably won't be checking in with you until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.

I think this is the closest I've ever felt to being on "The Amazing Race."

liney -- here is a good explanation of the Brill Building. I'll pay homage to Neil Sedaka while I'm there!

First class, wow--things are looking up!! Have a great flight!

HAPPY 27TH FCA!!! The last Saturday of 2008!

Bears-09-Spamalot.jpg

A-DOR-A-BUBBLE...that's all.

TOO CUTE!!!!!

Okay, so that wasn't all, so sue me. I want one! :)

Happy holidays and all that, y'all.

So, actually, I said I was mad at Barnes and Noble for not getting my shipment here on time, when in fact I should have been mad at Citibank (Visa). In their zeal to prevent unauthorized use of my card, they flagged my account when a couple of large internet purchases were made. Even though the flag was removed right away, this glitch caused my stuff to get held up. I'm curious if it might have helped to call the credit card company next year BEFORE making a large purchase so they automatically approve it instead of thinking some thief has my card. GRRR...so, it was kind of a bummer wrapping so many IOUs this year. Serves me right, I guess, for getting started with my shopping late. But...BUT...if the fraud department hadn't been so quick to be 'helpful', I had plenty of time to get the shipment here on time. Oh well, live and learn. Very annoying, though!

Did I mention the bear was cute? I did? And adorable? Okay, just checking! Love it. :)

We need to have the bear on this page too! It's so cute!! Clay is making lot'o'mullah for the Broadway Cares organization. :)

00lsee - we had credit card drama too when we went to Ireland and they wouldn't approve a credit card purchase for us either. We learned to give them a heads up now whenever we travel.

-----

Me, chachadotters 1&2 and #1SIL went to see SPAM last Tuesday. They all loved the play, Clay, and NYC. We had a fabulous time! I've been trying to find time to write a recap - I was sure I wouldn't be able to remember it all. I am probably right! Anyway, here goes.

CAUTION!! L-O-N-G RECAP TO FOLLOW...

(sorry if any of this is a repeat!)

We started off at a leisurely 11 am with the attitude, "NYC? Piece o' cake! Four, four and a half hours tops!" We (chachadotter#1, her hubby, and I) swung by DC to pick up chachadotter#2 and were on the road north by noon. Somewhere near Baltimore we met our first roadblock, the toll booth at the tunnel. Then there was the toll booth at the Delaware Mem Highway, the toll booth at the Del Mem Bridge, and then the one at NJ Turnpike. Maybe a couple delays in between, I lost track. What was supposed to be a four and a half hour drive turned into seven and a half hours! What we lacked in speed, we made up for in enthusiasm! Our bladders suffered but our spirits remained high! Especially when it took almost an hour an a half to get from the exit right before the Lincoln Tunnel (15Z) to 44th St.

I jumped out and went to the box office while the others parked the van in the garage right next to the Shubert. The guy we all know and love was at the window. I would have called him by name if I cold have remembered it! I asked for "four tickets in the balcony, for tonight's performance." He looked at me incredulously, and laughed a little. "I don't have any in the balcony." I said, "No? What do you have?" And he said, "You're in luck, I just happen to have four in Row E." I think, "Did he say ROW E???" I thought about it for about 5 seconds and whipped out my credit card! I found out later that the place was a sell-out. Even the SRO's were gone. Even though it was more than twice what I was planning to pay, I got over the shock and plunked it down.

When the others came in from the garage, I told them the bad news. We had to sit in ROW E!!! We happily marched off to O'Lunneys for a drink and a pee. And dinner. It was 6:40 by then. We got through and paid the bill about 7:55, and made it back in time for the curtain.

The crowd must have mostly been NJU's because there wasn't much of a reaction when Clay appeared in the window. (Except from my two daughters!)

Some random things I remember from the performance:

1) Clay had a ring on! His middle finger, left hand. (I think it was his left hand..)

2) When he dismounted his "horse" at the French castle, he held his knee up with his hand like he was doing a dance exercise. I thought, "Reed influence!"

3) He was very sing-songy on the swallow/creeper/weight ratio "it really wouldn't matter anyway."

4) He sang Amen and the knights copied him, and then started into "Get your hand off my knee you dirty old bastard" before the king stopped them.

5) The guard scene seemed short, he didn't have much time to play with the ribbons. He put them across his face under his nose, and then Lancelot appeared.

6) Tom didn't do the backbend on the Swamp castle scene.

7) He crossed his eyes during the bottle dance, and did the wait-wait motion before he went to the piano, but there wasn't a lot of reaction.

8 ) When he finished YWSOB he stood there with his finger to his mouth, but the king sort of rushed into "Well I guess we'd better go find some" and off they went.

9) I got to hear "They'll pay to hear my golden larnyx ring" line for the first time without screaming covering it up!

10) I miss Jonathan Hadary and the first Belvedere from last January.

11) I really miss HANNAH!

12) The Knight of Ni sang the Oscar Meyer B.O.L.O.G.N.A. song.

13) Clay came out in the curtain call after the LOTL.

14) He and David and Wally (?) did a little weaving in and out figure eight dance during the curtain call.

15) His bangs on the wig were down in his face and he blew on them and tried to brush them aside several times before he actually grabbed the hair and pulled it to the side. He had the top hat on. The $7200 Top Hat.

We got out to the stage door after the show and lo and behold, I was right against the railing! Of course I have been there before, but those times, Clay didn't do the SD. We waited about 5 minutes and he came out. He had a puffy coat on and a blue hoodie. He looked good! I had chachadotter#1 all primed to snap a picture but he didn't slow down for it. I was able to get an autograph for the very first time tho, so I was very happy!

After that, we remembered we had forgotten the doggy bag from the restaurant and tried to get back into the theatre. The door was locked but they let us in to get it! When chachadotter#1 and I went down to ROW E to get the bag, Rick was up on the stage! He looked over at us, so I spoke with him, and told him he was excellent and asked him what he was doing next, because I would go and see whatever it was he would be in. He said thanks, but he didn't know what he was going to do yet. I was really tempted to ask for a picture but he was busy talking to some peeps so I didn't.

We played around Times Square a bit and then went to another Irish Pub called O'Brien's, went and got our trusty steed, and then drove around a bit down 5th ave and up 6th. We were looking for Rockefeller Plaza to see the big tree, but it wasn't lit so we almost missed it! We finally found it and played around there for a minute or two. We also saw the UNICEF Snowflake on 5th. By then it was almost 1 am and we headed back to the Lincoln Tunnel. It had started to rain lightly and the temp was below freezing! They issued an ICE caution on the NJTP and lowered the speed limit to 45. I kept watching the temp display in the van and was overjoyed when it got back to 33º! We stopped about 2 am and got a BK Burger and fries and finally got back to DC and home about 8:30 am! What a long day! I got three and a half hours of sleep before I had to get up and go shop for Christmas Eve dinner. Since then it's been non-stop, all the kids just left about 8 pm last night (Friday) and I fell asleep on the couch watching Ghost Whisperer.

So that's our NYC Christmas Eve Eve Spamalot Adventure! Here are a few pictures. (The flash on my camera doesn't work since it got wine spilled on it last week. I think I might have to send it in.)

Clay illuminated by someone else's flash

claySD12-23-08.jpg

the UNICEF Snowflake on 5th

DSC03598.jpg

Some red lucite illuminated steps erected in Times Square.

The girls did a dance to NY, NY coming down them! (film at 11 TM Johnny Carson)

DSC03595.jpg

Closeup of a Christmas tree in a bank window on Broadway

DSC03585.jpg

Big :hello: and Happy Trails to all going to NYC this weekend. I'll be there next weekend, and hope to see a few more who will be there. I'm looking forward to the dinner at Carmine's.

{{{{{to cagney}}}}} for your loss.

{{{{liney}}}} just coss.

First class? Cool, ldyj! :thumbup: Although we didn't have the delay issues when Mamabear & I went in April, we also got to fly to LGA first class. The guy that helped us check in turned out to be the son-in-law of a friend of hers from church, so he upgraded us at no charge! :) Sending up a prayer for safe travels & positive vibes that the delay/airport switch is the only trouble you'll have.

I'm off to :chores003: and :chores009: and :chores012: and then :officework:

ETA: Great recap & pics, cha cha - thanks! See ya next weekend - EEEEEE!!! :yahoo:

cha cha trusty, thanks for the recap and pix! Cool that you got a shot of the Unicef snowflake all lit up......when we passed it, it was daylight, so my picture isn't quite so cool as yours. ;)

The fog is pretty thick here, too, ldy......happy to hear you got upgraded and it all seems to be working out. I am heading into TO this afternoon to do some visiting. Have a good weekend everyone!

Thanks for the pictures and the explanation, Bottlecap! I never watched season 2 and I only saw pieces of Rewind, so I had no idea what it was. I thought it was very cool-looking, though!

Nice recap, cha cha trusty! I like reading the recaps, even though I don't quite know what's going on. Ha! :lol:

I have another plea for help random question. Is there an easy to use, free, image editing program out there that's better than paint? I'm trying my hand at making my own backgrounds and I thought I did OK for it being my first time, but... let's just say I'm no cindilu2! :cryingwlaughter:

Thanks for the pictures and the explanation, Bottlecap! I never watched season 2 and I only saw pieces of Rewind, so I had no idea what it was. I thought it was very cool-looking, though!

Nice recap, cha cha trusty! I like reading the recaps, even though I don't quite know what's going on. Ha! :lol:

I have another plea for help random question. Is there an easy to use, free, image editing program out there that's better than paint? I'm trying my hand at making my own backgrounds and I thought I did OK for it being my first time, but... let's just say I'm no cindilu2! :cryingwlaughter:

Glad everyone liked my recap! I haven't done one since the whole "That'll be $50 extra for the butt squeeze." last April!!

clazy - I was going to recommend Photoshop Elements, but when did it get so expensive? It's a fraction of what the regular Photoshop is, but still.... :)

Paint Shop Pro is a bit less, and both have free trial downloads.

Here's a page with some reviews which has some lower prices listed. I haven't used any of these except Photoshop and Paint Shop, but the real challenge of any photo-editing is learning how to use it! There are lots of tutorials on line to search out.

Are you going to share your work? :)

ladyjocelyn enjoy your trip.

cha cha sounds like you all had a good time.

I never thought I would be thankful for Clay teaching me dance moves but when we did the cabbage patch at the gym this morning I immediately thought JBT. :pickme:

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I have a little tax planning to do as a result of a disasterous year. :wordpooper:

Hmm. Thanks for the info, cha cha! I might get the trial versions and try to figure them. I'm not especially bright when it comes to computers and stuff though--the exception to the stereotype that all teenagers are good with electronics. :P

Well... I'm a little self conscious, but since you asked for it...

ClayCutouts.jpg?t=1230401482

Hmm. Thanks for the info, cha cha! I might get the trial versions and try to figure them. I'm not especially bright when it comes to computers and stuff though--the exception to the stereotype that all teenagers are good with electronics. :P

Nice work clazy!!

I started a Photoshop Techniques thread awhile back in the Photos, Photoshops, Emoticons. It hasn't been added to in quite awhile, but it can give you some ideas and pointers that can be adapted to most programs whatever you end up with.

Check it out!! :)

{{{ldyjocelyn}}} hope your flight goes well!

Thanks for the recap, cha!

ETA: Thanks for the reminder about tonight's show!

ETAA: I see K down there! I know you're having a great time -- post some pictures! I thought about you this morning when I debated on whether or not to switch on the AC -- I still don't want to do it but the house is at 75 degrees and it's stiffling!!! *need to hold out until the next ice storm or my trip to NYC whichever comes first!*

Aaaah - an interesting trip so far. Traveling with the eHP has spoiled my ass so bad...

Well, I don't know if I've mentioned it, but my son is 21 (almost 22) and in the Navy - based in Yokasuka which is why I'm in Japan for Xmas. One of the things he wanted to show me was how grown up he is, so he wanted to make the plans and pay for everything this trip. I was a titch apprehensive, as this is my baby and I still sort of see him as my little not-seeing-obvious consequences sweetie. But in the spirit of showing him I believe he's all grown up, I let him make the reservations, with only one suggestion - that we book this tourist special to Kyoto (because it had the round trip tickets on the bullet train and accommodation for less than the regular round trip fare). He picked the hotels and sent me confirmation of everything except the Kyoto thing - which he said he had taken care of, and he would meet me at the airport. Cool. I actually get to the airport a couple of hours early, hang around the lounge, get to the gate before boarding starts, have a lovely seat in first class but can't go to sleep. Still not a biggie. Hop off the plane in Narita, make it through Customs, and Paul is nowhere to be seen. I mean nowhere - and T mobile doesn't work in Japan. So I approach the bank of odd looking public phones and the variety of calling card machine with fairly inexplicable instructions sort of in English. I finally get one to work, hook up with Paul (who was upset with himself because he planned to be there early but did something wrong with the trains). We hop on a bus that takes us to the train station closest to our hotel and of course the I fall asleep. I wake up at the stop, Paul turns the map right side up and we walk to the hotel - which is very, very nice and only a couple of blocks away. I did think to myself that I thought Tokyo would be much more crowded and neon covered. We drop off our stuff and find a restaurant by looking at the fake food outside. Pointing at items on the menu worked very well. We headed back to the room and I tried to find our location on any of my Tokyo maps and couldn't. It turns out that Hachioji is miles and miles and MILES away from the city center. Actually, technically, we're not actually in Tokyo at all. OK. Which Paul hadn't realized when he booked the room. Ah well.

I am in Tokyo proper now (the Shinjuku area). The people are very, very nice. My child orders two servings of everything. And just because something is named something in English doesn't mean that the person selling it speaks any. And the toilets are WONDERFUL!

Sounds like a fun trip, KAndre. :P I hope you're having fun--or at least an experience.

So... now I'm on a picture kick and I have yet another request. Does anyone have a good copy of that ATDW photo where he's sitting with his elbows on his knees, body facing left, and head turned towards the camera? The only one I'm finding is of very poor quality.

OMG, if you're in Shinjuku I hope you try this (with the guy from Kill Bill who taught Lucy Liu!) Not to mention how close you are to Area2 *winks*

ETA: Whoops, I forgot that your son's with you. How about a nice Meiji Shrine? at 9 Kasumigaoka Shinjuku Tel: 03 3401 0312 (a review with pictures)

ETAA: claytonic, about your question regarding my avatar -- it's a baby eagle. Thanks for asking! We have something in common -- we're both having hot sultry Christmases, aren't we?

ETAYA: And there's Shinjuku Gyoen (National Garden) 11 Naito-cho Shinjuku 160-0014 Tel: 81-3-3350-0151 though I don't know what it looks like in the winter. I have some springtime cherry blossom pictures(WARNING: Large pictures. Do not click if your memory is low) on the Catch-all thread. More on it here.

I am in Tokyo proper now (the Shinjuku area). The people are very, very nice. My child orders two servings of everything. And just because something is named something in English doesn't mean that the person selling it speaks any. And the toilets are WONDERFUL!

YAY!!

Nevermind Tokyo. First, the bullet train is fabo. Now, Kyoto. Kyoto Station is worth visiting just to see it. The new station was built just 10 years ago. Very modern. It's a bitch getting around Kyoto, but every tourist place you go to will be worth seeing. Sanjusangendo is a less familiar temple, and close to the Kyoto main station (relatively speaking, it's a bit of a walk--20 minutes). Sanjusangendo's main hall has a collection of wooden statues that is just breathtaking. The Kyoto National Museum is nearby and the Gion district is just north of that.

Nara is not far from Kyoto - an hour at most - less crowded, easier to get around, it's the ancient capital. Has the famous big Buddha and also the Kasuga shrine. And another amazing national museum. You can walk all over Nara easily (if you're into walking, that is). And there are local buses--very cute.

Everything will be closed for New Year, coming very soon. I'm not sure when that'll start, whether it's the first or before, but for about a week, lots of shops and restaurants will be closed.

But the Imperial Gardens in Tokyo are open to the public on Jan. 2. They're only open twice a year. I dunno if you have to have a reservation.

Have a blast!! Looking forward to your next report.

So... now I'm on a picture kick and I have yet another request. Does anyone have a good copy of that ATDW photo where he's sitting with his elbows on his knees, body facing left, and head turned towards the camera? The only one I'm finding is of very poor quality.

This one?

Blueshirtjeans.jpg

Wishlist:

1. ATDW in Japanese -- there's a Tower Records attached to Shinjuku station next to the South Exit (how convenient is that?)

2. Anything else by, with or about "Kurei Eikun" in Japanese

51DAFNG5V1L._SS500_.jpg

3. Any 1 CD by L'Arc en Ciel except the Top 13 singles (just one since CD's are so expensive over there)

4. Anything on this Amazon list in the original Japanese but particularly the works of Jiro Taniguchi (谷口ジロ) (eg. The Walking Man - the Time review) or Taiyō Matsumoto (松本大洋) or Junko Mizuno (水野純子)

5. With The Light - Keiko Tobe (光とともに…-自閉症児を抱えて-, Hikari to Tomoni... ~Jiheishouji Wo Kakaete~?) volumes 1, 2 or 3 (or a preview of of 4 if available)

cha cha.... loved your recap! A ring??? Kewl!!!

Clay illuminated by someone else's flash

claySD12-23-08.jpg

the UNICEF Snowflake on 5th

DSC03598.jpg

Some red lucite illuminated steps erected in Times Square.

The girls did a dance to NY, NY coming down them! (film at 11 TM Johnny Carson)

DSC03595.jpg

Closeup of a Christmas tree in a bank window on Broadway

DSC03585.jpg

This is a pretty tree... ummmm... but where is the tree??? :cryingwlaughter: It's a pretty effect, tho, fo sure!!!

clayzycoffin... I love your first effort... I hope you don't mind a suggestion... I love every single picture on that montage. My eye was immediately drawn to the very light background on the Disney parade picture lying on its side on the bottom. I think that picture would look better smaller. Actually, I think if you traded the two sideways pictures, making the top one bigger and the bigger one smaller, the light/dark balance would be better. The whole thing is much, much, much better than I could do if I even knew how to start so ignore me if you want! :cryingwlaughter: